Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oshkosh transporter

AtlasRob ยท 2008-12-14 17:08

Back in October I managed to get a few shots of these big tank transporters going past. Then some coming my way A couple of days later 5 in convoy, I had to get a shot Then one with a bucket on it

Replies13
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-12-14 17:19

    Then this week one pulled into the service area right next to me. So I did the decent thing and hopped over the fence. The driver was very willing to let me take a few pics and even hop up into the cab Allison automatic box makes it as easy as driving a dust cart, only remember its a bit wider A spin around the service area was not on offer though :beatsme

  2. #2jlm3352008-12-15 14:06

    The military seems to over do everything..

  3. #3Pecord Exc2008-12-16 13:34

    What no radio.... Poor driver needs to bring his ipod!

  4. #4Lashlander2008-12-16 21:01

    The steering wheels on the wrong side!

  5. #5Colin Doy2008-12-18 15:13

    On your second pic Atlasrob there is a decal on the side with KBR on it. I think they are private military/security contractors.

  6. #6Colin Doy2008-12-18 15:20

    If it is the same KBR they are or were a subsidiary of Halliburton, a defense contractor. Oh and nice pics by the way.:usa

  7. #7Bellboy2008-12-19 01:40

    AtlasRob: That fourth picture in your first lot, whats up with the excavator boom on the top of the tank? Its got its bucket, dipper, boom, and cylinders. Oh ya, and great pics!!

  8. #8Dualie2008-12-20 02:49

    gotta love that! that thing has a pretty serious dont fark with me vibe

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-12-20 16:55

    My understanding is you are correct. Apparently The British Army having seen the way the US military moved thier gear, worked out it was easier/cheaper to contract out the very heavy haulage. The drivers are all ex military and even go out to war zones. This driver had been in Iraq. I was as suprised as you. I am not up on military hard wear but having seen dozer blades on some that have gone past I dont doubt that is a workable machine rather than a boom and bits hitching a ride

  10. #10AtlasRob2008-12-20 17:02

    I agree that it seems a big lump for road haulage but when its got a battle ready Challenger 2 on board it is running at over a hundred tons gross, thats not short tonnes and will take it off road. :notworthy

  11. #11AtlasRob2008-12-20 17:19

    The trailer bed can be hydraulic raised to about 5ft above the ground and any axle can be lifted. By inserting a pin in the right place and a few hydraulic ajustments along with a disconnection of the relevant steering arm a pair of wheels can be turned 90deg to the bed to allow changing of the inner wheel. Apparently the operation has been done in under 10mins while in the field

  12. #12wormkiller2008-12-20 20:16

    KBR=Kellog,Brown and Root.

  13. #13AtlasRob2008-12-21 14:31

    :notworthy :drinkup