Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oshkosh trucks

wrenchbender ยท 2007-09-01 12:30

Check out this link http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Oshkosh/

Replies44
  1. #1Lashlander2007-09-01 13:45

    Cool find!:thumbsup I worked for an outfit that had an Oshkosh water truck. As big and cumbersome as it looked it actually drove pretty nice.

  2. #2surfer-joe2007-09-01 23:01

    Good pics of Oshkosh trucks. I swamped one summer on an Oshkosh set up as a gin-pole truck in the oil & gas fields in Northern Michigan. Cat diesel, 42 gears ahead, 10 back. 80,00 pound winches (it had two) Don't know what year it was, but it wasn't very old. I turned down an offer in 1977 from Oshkosh to be their Western Regional Service Manager -- too much time on the road.

  3. #3LowBoy2007-09-05 21:25

    Here's a brand new Oshkosh'bGosh carrier, with a firefighting apparatus on it's back. Serious piece of iron to say the least...

  4. #4sixshooter2007-11-04 10:32

    I saw one similar to the one lowboy posted in an offroading magazine that was set up as a remote operated vehicle to carry goods to troops. The part I thought was dumb though was it was painted lime green.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-11-04 19:24

    Welcome to HEF sixshooter! :drinkup

  6. #6EZ TRBO2007-11-04 22:59

    Heres a few pics I posted a while back for Grader4me. Dad is now in charge of the Highway Dept in the County. They have 2 Oshkosh plow trucks, and FWD wrecker, and an FWD snow thrower. Trbo http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/EZTRBO/Oshkosh pics/

  7. #7sixshooter2007-11-04 23:39

    Thanks :drinkup

  8. #8Greg2009-07-18 10:31

    :usa What can you say? What a rig. Have a 1940 Model W900 here with Vee plow, wing and 13.0' feet high speed one way. Big old Cummins with a 4 speed and 3 speed auxiliary. Oshkosh tells me only 29 of these built between mine and the end of WW II. Still plow with it here in the winter every year. What a machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

  9. #9hvy 1ton2009-07-20 02:30

    You talking about the truck they entered in the DARPA challenge, right? It was painted lime green so they could find it when, not if, it got lost. Software/Robot trial and error is a *****. Speaking from personal experience if you can't tell.

  10. #10Greg2009-07-20 08:11

    Are you asking if mine was in the DARPA challenge? Would love to know what the DARPA challenge is here. Mine currently is painted dark gray. Going to strip it and get it back to "Hiway Orange" original color when I get time.

  11. #11EGS2009-07-27 21:06

    I love the old oshkosh trucks! Built in Wisconsin can't get any better.

  12. #12Greg2009-07-27 21:13

    The old Oshkosh's can't get any better but the idiot politicians are driving the state to h=ll in a handbasket at break neck speed.

  13. #13EGS2009-07-27 22:45

    Greg I could not agree more! This state sure isn't the same with the leadership we have in Madison.

  14. #14DEE2010-11-07 22:13

    Oshkosh plow truck [Hey gang ,ive plowed snow here in the hills of upstate ny for 15 years but this year they are switchin me to an old oshkosh truck.Whats the best pattern of gears for this ol truck.We live in hilly country here..If you split shift it do you guys reach through the steering wheel to spilt it or just reach for gera s as quick as ya can .Thanks any info on shiftin this critter would be great.Thanks.Dee

  15. #15willie592010-11-07 22:16

    Are you saying it has a main and auxilliary transmission?

  16. #16DEE2010-11-07 22:27

    oshkosh Yes Steve,it has a 5 main and a 4 auxillary

  17. #17willie592010-11-07 22:52

    Well, I don't claim to be Steve, but I've driven 5 x 3 and 5 x 4 Fuller and 5 x 4 Spicer tranny's. On the 5 x 4, first gear on both boxes are simply low crawling gears, 1st gear on aux is not used during upshift or down shift driving. Aside from that, teaching someone how to shift a 5 x 4 over the internet is going to be interesting, not going to be easy to explain this. On the 5 x 4 Fuller I drove, the basic upshift was this: M (main) 2 - A (aux) 2, 3, 4. Then M 3 - A 2, 3, 4. M 4 - A 2, 3, 4. Lastly M 5 - A 3, 4. That's if you ran all the gears. There was a quirk with the ratio relation of main and aux in higher range, M 4 - A 4 was the exact same gear ratio as M 5 - A 2. So if you were in M 4 - A 4 and went to upshift to M 5 - A 2, it was the same ratio that you just exited from, so you shifted the aux to A 3 instead of A 2. Split shifting? Well I've done it, but it's not really worth the hassle. Also, if you strike out and miss the sticks and get both tranny's in neutral, well, it gets interesting. This is going to be hard to explain, but you make the split, going up or down, by shifting each stick seperately, takes a lot of practice with the throttle foot to get this down. Let's say you've ran out M 3 and A 4, it's time to shift up the main box. Pull main stick out of 3 into neutral, let rpms drop until main will drop in 4, will be very low rpm's, too low if you were to now let out clutch and try to drive because you made a full gear shift on main box, you need to get the aux out of 4 and get it in 2. As soon as main drops into 4, pull aux lever into neutral, let clutch out, step on throttle and raise rpms, somewhere around 1800 - 2000 until aux drops into 2. Now your ready to run out 2 and shift 3 and 4 on aux. I know this all sounds really complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's no real difficulty running these two sticks. It just takes a lot of coordination of clutch and throttle foot, and working the sticks. When I used to drive these trucks, I could shift a main and hog box with no real effort, actually was kinda fun to drive them. 2StickBill may have some comments on these trannys as well. Good luck and I hope you get them figured out.

  18. #18RonG2010-11-08 03:47

    Atco,you are a saint for taking the time to explain all this.My mind is reeling from trying to comprehend it )Ron G

  19. #19heavylift2010-11-08 17:51

    I drove an old mack dump years ago... maybe 50ish was the top speed... on the highway... the 7 or 8 speed dumps would fly by me like i was standing still... But when I got to the dam site I would pass then on the ramps to the top of the dam. Now the tractor trailer concrete mixer... there is one around here.... can't tell you the brand.. but they do use it a lot.. It's probably not an Osh... but there are a half dozen guard fire trucks here.

  20. #20willie592010-11-08 19:05

    LoL. RonG, I really had to convice myself to post all that. It's near impossible to tell someone how to drive those things. But the more I thought about it, I learned to drive one the hard way, just thinking maybe this info will help him out after the initial total confusion. :tong The really bad part for me, this was a truck I drove back in the late 70's and into the 80's, haven't been in it since, and all that junk is still stuck in my head. LMAO

  21. #21bill onthehill2010-11-08 20:03

    Atco, that sounds like the old GMC Korean war era trucks the school district I worked for had. You got the hang of it after a while but hills were a challenge to hit the down shifts. If you missed one you may as well stop and start over.

  22. #22willie592010-11-08 20:53

    It does take some practice bill. I drove this truck so much that up or down shifts were second nature. Thing about these tranny's, they're a stick, unlike the various air shift tranny's, which does make like easier. But I recall a certain Fuller RTO9513 that would miss the OD shift in the 4 hole everytime. Had to pull the stick into neutral, shift the OD position, then put the dang stick back in the 4 hole. Stupid thing! With the main and hog box tranny's, any screw ups are all on the driver.

  23. #23Steve Frazier2010-11-08 22:16

    The pics of the transit mixers brought back memories for me. There was a concrete company here when I was a kid that had a fleet of Oshkosh 10 wheelers with the conventional rear facing drum mounted like pictured here. I never saw before and haven't seen since a truck with so much iron hanging out in front of the front axle. They sure were an odd looking truck!

  24. #24DEE2010-11-08 22:33

    ATCO,,,Thankyou for takin the time i really appreciate it..Idrove the OSHKOSH tonight we had some snow.It went good i missed the through the steerin wheel split on a hill tonight ,and your right long way to the top of the hill in 2 and 2 haaa.Thanks again,,Dee

  25. #25willie592010-11-08 22:36

    LoL, well, only one way to learn how to drive it...just drive. Ain't no one can really teach ya how to do it, just have to learn it, but trust me, with practice, spliting by shifting one stick at a time is the way to do it. You will get good enough at it that you lose very little speed even though you had to shift two levers seperately.

  26. #26RonG2010-11-09 05:09

    I have discovered in cleaning out my old house a stash of negatives accumulated over the years that the exwife either missed or had no room for when she left 2o years ago and on rainy days when I can't work on my boat I spend scanning them into my computer. I will include a couple of pics of the concrete supplier that I worked for for 20+ years and you will see out fleet of Mack B-81s and DM-800s,all with Quadruplexes in them.As I remember the B-75 tractor that pulled the dump trailer at that time had a Triplex in it so only 15 speed in that one. The mixer I started on was that Autocar with the radiator out of it,we had made a dumptruck out of it by then.I taped a dime to the sunvisor on that one.LOL.Phone calls were only ten cents back then.The Autocar also had a 5x4 transmission in it.AND it was a gas engine too. We bought two DM-800s to start with,the truck on the end (the cleanest one) was mine.Ron G

  27. #27willie592010-11-09 22:34

    Nice pics RonG.

  28. #28oldseabee2010-11-10 11:21

    Back in the early 60's I drove a R190 International dump with a 5/4 road ranger. This was a work in progress, just had to do a lot of experimenting to get it work well, once that you get it shifting is by instinct, but don't count the missed shifts, they can happen to any one. On page one of this thread I saw the Army tactical fire truck. last year I had some of my unit of Navy Sea Cadets in boot camp at fort Jackson in July, we had 2 of those trucks cool off the cadets pumping 700 GPM each, then made them belly crawl through the mud

  29. #292stickbill2010-11-12 22:06

    Looks like you got it down pretty good.But he needs some gray hair before trying shifting both at once.Took me a while to do it.And when the aux.linkage gets wore it will hang up if you try to shift to fast.Your right about telling and showing any body how to shift.It takes time but you have to learn on your own.Best way really.Most of these new drivers would go crazy or quit if they had to drive a two stick.But they made a low HP engine pull strong.

  30. #30willie592010-11-12 22:13

    Oh man, I had forgot about wear in the auxilliary linkage! LoL The 5 x 4 I drove, if you were to pull upward on the aux stick it would pull the lever ball out of the linkage bars. Shifter would go all over the place. LMAO :tong

  31. #312stickbill2010-11-12 22:25

    I have drove them that would stay in gear but the shifter would go to neutral.Get a cheater pipe and unhang it.

  32. #32willie592010-11-12 22:31

    Yes sir, and after doing it a number of times, you finally discover there was a certain motion or movement you did with the stick that caused it, and you learned to quit doing that because you're tired of having to pull over and pry on the linkage. :yup

  33. #332stickbill2010-11-12 22:38

    You bet.And it was embarrassing too.If I'm not mistaken some 5X4 had different shifting patterns.Plus you could get single over drive are a double over.Some had power towers for running a winch.

  34. #34willie592010-11-12 22:55

    Yup, 5 main and 4 aux were OD. When you were in the 5 and 4 holes, she'd roll. On a little bump hill, dropping into 3 on hog box would put you in 5 main OD and 3 hog direct, usually sufficient for a bump, might have to drop to 2 underdrive on the hog box. If I came up on an abrupt steep grade causing me to drop gears, when I dropped to 3 hog, and knew more would be coming, I might go ahead and pull main out of 5 OD and stick it in 4 direct, then put hog in 4 OD. That combo would run out fairly quick, and I'd drop it to hog 3 direct. Now main and aux were in direct and would pull pretty good. It's dang hillarious the combos you could come up with on these things. It all sounds complex, but once you've run one for a while, they were actually kinda fun to play with. Much less boring that shifting a 5 or 6 stick and switching an air button. :tong

  35. #3569hayes2011-10-30 02:07

    1955 Oshkosh 50/50, can anyone tell me what gas engine this is and where to find a serial number for the truck

  36. #36pw582012-12-06 13:54

    waukesha? popular engine in that vintage

  37. #37GreenMtnMan2012-12-06 17:20

    Serial number should be on the outside of the right front frame rail. Just behind the front spring mount. Model and serial number.

  38. #38Lee-online2012-12-06 19:02

    I used to work on and drive the Oshkosh HEMTT's in the Army. Very cool truck that were very hard to get stuck and would go anywhere. (almost) Here is a website with some nice pics of the military Oshkosh's http://www.flickriver.com/groups/oshkoshdefense/pool/interesting/

  39. #39robin yates uk2012-12-08 05:16

    what a great link,, thanks very much

  40. #40renaud2013-01-08 14:00

    You guys might like this......... [IMG=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8107/dsc01134kw.jpg][/IMG] [IMG=http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8133/dsc01132jg.jpg][/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us And this has to be my favorite...... [IMG=http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4801/dsc01133xc.jpg][/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us Regards. Max.

  41. #41glenlunberg2013-10-10 21:43

    Not familiar on Oshkosh trucks, but based on the pictures and links, they're good on hauling jobs.

  42. #42kent_323is2013-10-14 08:15

    Sweet link, thanks for sharing!

  43. #43MotoMatt2013-10-23 22:20

    Here are a few pages about the 50/50 that I scanned out of a book I have. Doesn't mention any engine specs though.

  44. #44MotoMatt2013-10-23 22:43

    Here's some photos of Oshkoshs that were up for auction 8 years ago, and a picture of an FWD to boot.