The specialty truck manufacturer will pay (including transaction costs and assumed debt) $3.2 billion in cash for the aerial-work-platform and telehandler manufacturer. JLG is expected to contribute 40% of Oskosh's consolidated sales and operating revenue. Oskosh leadership says it will leave JLG's newly reorganized manufacturing operations intact. Wow. I guess that's one way to protect yourself from economic cycles in the truck market. http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6381302.html L
Glad to see it back in American hands. JLG has made the worst telehandlers ever since they baught Gradall awhile back and changed them to europen style.
I'm curious: What features of the new Gradall telehandlers would you say epitomize the European style, and why are you unhappy with them? L
I'm answering prematurely, but 544D10 has commented on the automotive styling (cupholders, for instance) attention versus actual performance or reliability in the past. Larry, I'm curious what happens to the Cat brand name -- do Oshkosh and Cat have to negotiate that among the group now?
I can't say for sure. But as I understand it, the JLG/Cat agreement is really just a supplier contract -- a very long (20 years) and I assume very lucrative contract for JLG. So Cat is JLG's client. The Oskosh press release suggests that they will leave JLG to operate pretty independently and that is the Oskosh MO for many recent acquisitions, which is what one would expect given that JLG is clearly a market leader in its product categories. I would have to guess that JLG, and Oshkosh, will do whatever it takes to make sure Cat stays happy . . . and I suppose that would mean leaving the Cat contract just as it is. Here's a link to a short story with a bit more perspective about the acquisition by RER (what I consider to be the premier voice reporting on the rental industry) http://rermag.com/rerreports/headlinenews/oshkosh-truck-acquires-jlg/ . Interesting coincidence: Week and a half ago I was sitting in a room full of JLG people listening to their presentation on JLG corporate strength/strategy. They never once even hinted that JLG might be for sale. L
Another perspective on the JLG acquisition from a informed source - Lift & Access publisher Guy Ramsey: http://www.liftandaccess.com//index.php?id=1236 L
mind boggling are these takeovers http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_11_72/ai_n16869527
Not to hijack or anything but I understand what 544D10 is saying about the difference between the old lifts and the new ones. I have a '98 534D6 that has been one heck of a machine. Simple to operate - once you get used to the rear steer -, easily maintained and no computers!:bash The electrical components can be purchased at NAPA and the lil' cummins seems to run for ever. Had a Cat 460B that I traded in on a D6N, I know that is a big difference in machines but our work changed. The Cat was strong, would lift more since it was bigger but boy did it have problems. The instrument panel had to be replaced twice because there were electrical gremlins that they couldn't find, fuel pump once and a few other things I have since forgot about. I kept the Graddall since it was paid for and is still useful. I will tell you one thing - Ol' blue will still fire up and run, OK maybe with a jump start every now and then .