Ok, I think I know the answer to this.... Went to work for my dirt guy this afternoon and the truck died 3 times on the road, pretty sure it's the fuel filter. It's my own stupid fault for not keeping truck of how long it's been between filter changes. But it's still pretty annoying. And my back up vehicle, a 1994 suburban, has been down for about 10 days having a leaking transmission pump seal fixed. I hate to even consider it, but everyone I know wants me to knock the old ugly dodge in the head and buy a new truck. I really hate to though. It gets 20 mpg and even though it has 365k miles, that cummins 5.9 has never had a problem and should run for at least another 365k miles. But looking online I can get a NEW 2017 plain jane Dodge 3500 with an I6 cummins (don't know anything about them), crew cab, 4wd, dual alternators, manual transmission, auxiliary power plugs, etc. for just under 60k, meaning a payment of about $600 a month. So what would you do? Your a 19 year old full time college student that makes 100-150 a day working as a helper for a dirt contractor and your in the middle of building a 6400 sqft shop to house a bunch of junk machine tools and farm equipment in the hopes of MAYBE making it work. And you'd be paying for it with your Dad's life insurance which is not only hard to spend financially, but not easy to spend because it's his life insurance.... A $600 a month truck payment is pretty unattractive, but I do the like the idea of having a working air condition.... But I really hate to knock Dad's old truck in the head for the sake of a fuel filter when I know that 5.9 will go for a long time yet. I'm also REALLY scared by these new fancy diesel trucks, I don't know the first thing about working on them. Anyhow, as usual, thanks for any and all opinions.
The new Dodge does not allow for removing the rear valve cover and adjusting valves. They tell me you have to unbolt the cab and jack it off the frame. Face it, the old one is much better than the new ones with the minor exception of condition. I like to run vehicles until the doors fall off, then weld them back on and climb in the window. Bankers hate my guts.
Put a fuel filter in it and drive it. If it had any care at all, it will have another 100,000 or perhaps 2 in it yet. Banks don't like me much either. The payments will last a lot longer than the good feeling of driving a newer truck.
Run it until cost of repair exceeds value of vehicle when repaired, then junk it and buy another beater for a few grand. Rinse, repeat. That is all a college student should be doing. When I was a college student I drove a $300 Chevy truck and then a $2000 Ford which I kept going for years after. And also a free Subaru as a backup car. Right now I am reasonably successful in my own business and my service truck cost me about $2000 to put together with the right opportunities. SPI, one of the largest if not the largest landowner in California has a fleet of pickups for their foresters and security guys. They buy plane jane Dodges with tiny gas engines but even then the gas engine has over 300 horsepower so who cares if it is small? You can stand inside the engine compartment between the front of the engine and back of the radiator. They do have AC. Save your money, don't spend it. Let some other sucker take the depreciation.
So fix the air conditioning, it's not rocket science. I can't believe you're coming here asking whether you should replace your truck or your fuel filter, after all the crazy stuff you're taking on at the same time. Open up the old filter, if it's bad, then think about draining and rinsing the tank.
It all comes down to time, money and your ability or willingness to fix. Personally take the time and dollars required to bring it back to your required point of service for the next X amount of years. My 97 ford in another 10 years will need a good 20k of components and time to bring it back to where I need it. Pretty cheap at $700 a year plus operating costs. Problem is I am already having a hard time finding dealer replacement parts for some things.
I know it's stupid. But when literally everyone else has been telling me to junk the old truck, guess I need to be reminded new isn't all peaches and cream either. After losing Dad you would not believe how many people have been telling me what to do with the farm and his life insurance money, it's hard to think on my own sometimes. Oh it's had care. Dad took care of it and I know it pretty much inside and out. It's got NEW tires, head gasket, injectors, waste-gate actuator and clutch all done to it within 20,000 miles. It doesn't smoke or burn oil and will cruse all day at 75 mph, if you have enough of a run to get it wound up to that speed. But the paint is really bad, bed and body are falling apart and interior is JUNK because of that crappy dodge plastic. But I'm glad ya'll think it's crazy to buy a new truck because of a fuel filter. Only reason I've put up with it's 22 year old truck hissy fits, is because of that 5.9.
$60,000 0% interest, 84 months is $700+ a month. I don't know your entire situation, but it seems like acquiring that much debt on a pickup is something you better think long and hard about. I know it's tempting, but those payments just keep coming whether you're making any money or not...
I wouldn't pay 60,000 for pickup truck EVER If its time to upgrade find a nice used truck or move to Minnesota the rust decides when its all over regardless of how well it runs by the way a diesel owner should always have a new filter and wrench in the truck 1o mins and your on your way
It's real easy for other people to look at your truck and say "oh, you should buy a new truck". It isn't their $, so it spends really easy. I know your dad passed and with the shop project you've got your hands full. That $ from the life insurance only spends once. I think its great you're building a shop. I could see paying on the farm. Save it for a rainy day (because they will come). But don't waste your dad's legacy on a new truck. In 5 years you've got a truck that's worth 1/3 of what you paid for it, and at $600/ month in 5 years you've only paid for 1/2 of it. The shop will last for 40 years. The farm will last, until you want rid of it. $600/ month would make a house payment, and houses typically appreciate. If you need wheels, buy a $2,000 beater to drive while you fix your other one. Even a $5,000 one if you have to. A truck, is only a way to get from A to B. We've elevated it to a status symbol, and so many people get into trouble with big payments for a shiny truck, that they really can't afford. When you make your second million, and don't know what to do with your $, then buy a new truck. So what if the old truck looks a little rough- who do you have to impress?
I would keep & maintain / fix existing trucks and use them when needed . For simple transportation to and from work or college would check out the Geo Metro . https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Geo-Metro-Houston-d314_L34369#listing=158692386 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Metro#/media/File:95-97_Geo_Metro_3door.jpg We have owned two Geo's and pound for pound get the job done . Pretty simple vehicles to work on and we saw 50 mile per gallon on the road .
I agree with the fuel filter plan in the old Dodge 5.9. I've seen those engines last for 20,000 + hours with nothing more than a few head gaskets and a set or two of injectors. They are very basic and cheap/easy to fix. New diesel engines are a nightmare.
Keep it. The new ones I have been reading up on have he same flaws as the old ones, AND computer glitches, unfixable by anyone but a dealer trained mechanic, if at all. I bought a '94 dodge duckoder, out of a junkyard estate sale, for $500 bucks, put a new tranny in it for $3200, and I gots an old, reliable, fixable 318 powered pickemup truck for less than a year's payments, on a new one...
Thanks guys, I appreciate the reality check. Lets not forget that in order to do any major work on these new trucks (the fords at-least), my mechanic friend has to quote an extra 20 hours of labor to take the body off and put it back on. They have these new trucks packed with so much stuff, there is no room to work. The farm has already been paid off, I'm paying cash for the shop, going to pay cash for the rest of my school bills and should still have enough left over for the tools the shop needs and maybe a few needed pieces of equipment like a dozer or radial arm drill press. The farm also has a very nice 3 bed room house, it's over 100 years old, but has modern wiring, plumbing and insulation. It's a little bit far to commute, but it's all paid for. I'll either move down there myself or rent it out. I don't have a pictures yet, but were going to pour concrete Friday. Then about a week later, the building will be up.
For a years worth of payments you could sure do a lot of work to the ole dodge. Can't beat them. The new would wear off that truck about the third or fourth payment, if even that long. Be smart with the money. Vehicles are the single biggest waste of money there is. Mere status symbols like crane op said. If you don't need a truck all the time buy a nice car to run around in. Less than $10k buys a damn nice car that will be warm in winter, cold in summer and cheap to operate. Build the shop, get an education and thank your dad everyday you wake up debt free. My grandfather farmed through the depression, raised three boys and never borrowed a penny. It can still be done. This is the voice of experience, I've done the new shinny stuff and it's not worth it. Money in the bank looks way better than a new truck in the drive. We've all learned stuff the hard way, just trying to ease the pain for you Junkyard
You're probably too young to remember Earl Scheib and his $49 paint jobs. Had a buddy use them to paint his 54 Chevy in 1970. The masking job wasn't the best but hey.... You are setting real good. Keep the cash in your pocket, not someone elses.
lots of good advice so far... everyone tries to tell you what to do, do what you think your dad would want you to do!! wait till you have a very good business & need a tax write off before you take the plunge to spend that much on a new truck!! I still have my dads 72 chevy pick up that I grew up working out of!! its in the works to give it a makeover soon, the rust is really starting to get bad on it. like someone else said earlier, keep that money in the "rainy day fund"
The other burden with any new vehicle is increased insurance and license plate costs. Another big wack every year.
Well said Crane Operator ! Funny story .... Pulled in to the hydraulic shop last summer in the 1986 Chevy K 30 with a busted hose off the excavator in the bed . 20 year old took care of me but seemed to be more interested in my truck then the new hydro hose I needed him to make . Kid would not stop asking questions about the truck , engine , transmission and rear ratio . We finally got the hose made and paid for then he follows me back out the door trying to buy the truck . Sadly , had to burst his bubble , it aint for sale as we are still using it . Good guy and he did a nice job on the hydro hose . Funny part is I did not even know I was driving a " status symbol " truck ? LOL !
Truck is running again, picked it up last night. Turns out it wasn't the fuel filter, the transfer pump went out. But the fuel filter was also changed for good measure. And I hear you guys about spending the cash wisely, I hope I have as the shop is taking a large chunk of it. I hate pole barns, but they are cheaper than metal. This picture was taken a few hours ago, we are supposed to pour concrete 9 am tomorrow. I've actually heard of them, never seen one of the paint jobs myself, but have heard stories.
Looks like you have a great start on the shop , hope the pour go's well in the morning . Will you use the P&H to set trusses ?
Ohh that would be a fun day. Throw the jib on and could probably set them all from one spot. But no, they are gonna bring in a Lull to do that. They are gonna do the framing next week while I'm in school anyhow.
That's Cool ! Sounds like your staying busy between work , school and shop project . Keep up the good work Man !
thanks td. It sounds more than it really is, for the most part I'm just writing checks.
If the trusses haven't already been made, I would opt for long roof overhangs as that's how you get the most life out of the posts.
You might keep a eye out for a gasser Dodge in good shape of the same vintage and slide the ole 6BT down in her from yours. Yeah a repower job, who would guess that out of me?
I've wondered about that. I would love to have an early seventies Ford or Chevy pickup with a Cummins. Dodge not so much. Do diesel pickups generally come with higher gearing than gassers? Are the Cummins engines longer than say a 300 C.I. Ford six banger?
4btswaps is the place to read more than you'll ever want to about cummins swaps. The 4bt is an appropriate replacement for a 300-6 but still heavier. The six will fit, but it's a lot heavier. And then you get into the transmission adapters etc. I always thought sticking to rear wheel drive and using the trans that came with the diesel would be the way to go. Rice burners for me, cummins are $$$
Probably not the response you were looking for but give it some thought. At 19 being a full time college student is a full time job and I applaud you for having the drive to work as a helper in conjunction with your studies. You are just beginning life and in the years to come you will look back and find some of the things you think now are dumb have become points of brilliance. Put the filter in the truck and see if it works. If the repairs become too much (you will know this without advise) buy a descent used vehicle for cash accrued from working as a helper. The farm should support itself for the time you are in school. If not look around and see why. Talk to established farmers to learn what they would do and how they are doing it. Invest you insurance proceeds and forget you have them. You will thank me for this advise when you turn 50. Concentrate on your education and experience. Never stop learning all that you can. This gives you the ability to change directions when the original plan isn't working. Most of all assess where your advise is coming from. If the adviser has not successfully done what they are recommending for you, think twice very carefully.
My advise to you... The insurance money, talk to an established and successful tax/money advisor. Put every penny into paying account(s). (Are you aware that every $25000 you put in , the account will pay you about $65 per month.) Do not buy a new vehicle just because you can. Do maintenance and repairs to the dependable truck you already have.
Dad always wanted to do a cummins transplant to the old super duty with the sick navastar 7.3, mabey do something similar some day. As far as the investing/managing of the life insurance, that has been done. Dad left a bit of a mess, but he was smart enough to build up some assets while he was alive. My introduction to all this came at a very early age, we would discuss real estate, stocks, IRA's, farming, business in general, etc... when I was elementary school. Mental exercises like that were our sports. Today's pour seemed to go ok. Got a few concrete trucks stuck and I was a little disappointing in the old Case 930. I started it up in order to pull those trucks out, it was a fairly cold day, but she still started, albeit in a cloud of unburnt diesel. Drove it over and was getting read to hitch onto one of those stuck trucks. And I noticed a missfire, then started into this nasty rolling idle that steady slowed down until she died. Hoping it was just a combination of cold diesel and a possibly dirty filter and not that I like burned off the tip of an injector or something. Another problem to fix, first that tractor has given me a lick of trouble. When I went back this afternoon the crew was power troweling the slab, in the still wet concrete I wrote Dad and I's initials and the date. Normally would never dream of doing that, but it seemed fitting somehow since Dad was paying for it. And about the exteneded trusses, good idea. But this building will have 20' covered lean toos on each side. When those posts rot off, will be very simple to replace with pipe
It wasn't cold diesel if they were pouring concrete. Is there a fuel shut off? Maybe sucking air, that's what I think when you said rolling idle. Looks good, nice to see progress.
Love the picture the dog setting in the concrete looking at the truck !
Love the picture of the dog setting in the concrete looking at the truck ! Looks like it all ended well. Nice work !