Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

OT– Powerstroke ????

Wrench_one ยท 2011-02-01 18:52

Got the 2000 f-550 Jr wrenchwagon in shop today. Running very poorly, no power, no smoke, will not hardly even move. Plugged in Shows 1 ,3, 5, missfire. Have any of you all seen this one or have much exp with a Powerstroke? Looking for helpfull insight. I suspect a broken harness wire. Will tear it down in the AM. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #13rdGenDslWrench2011-02-01 18:55

    Wrench, check your wiring harness that goes through the valve cover gaskets. A lot of times the glow plug wires get hot and start to short out the rest of the harness. More than likely thats the culprit.

  2. #2Wrench_one2011-02-01 19:20

    Thanks for the feedback, We only have 1 powerstroke, most of the company vehicles are gm.

  3. #3willie592011-02-01 19:56

    Yep, I think I'd try switching valve cover gasket with gasket on opposite side of engine if you don't see anything that's plainly obvious.

  4. #4qball2011-02-01 19:59

    what works best is to remove both valve covers and place a cummins under them

  5. #52stickbill2011-02-01 20:21

    If your going to all that trouble just put a CAT in it.

  6. #6Wrench_one2011-02-01 21:48

    3408 DIT, now your talking!

  7. #7Hardline2011-02-01 22:09

    Yea I would say either the harness or possibly the IDM.

  8. #8FSERVICE2011-02-02 22:27

    wrench that is what FORD spells backwards Driver Returns On Foot not good when he the mechanic but i have fixed the valve cover gasket on several buddies trucks it is quite common problem i know a engineer for Ford drivetrain he even says that the wires in the gasket was a bad idea but it made it out of warranty

  9. #9koldsteele2011-02-03 10:14

    Driver Returns On Foot ha ha ...That reminded me of one of my buddies tellin his boss " If I keep drivin that truck I'm gonna have to get a Dog " boss sez " dog ?? " his reply "that way I won't be walkin by myself " ...

  10. #10Wrench_one2011-02-04 13:20

    Thanks again for all of the help. Finally got enough time between the loaders and rock trucks to work on it. Here is what we found. Number 3 injector shorted out causing 1 and 5 to also show up as misfire. Oil leak on high pressure oil pump, (HPOP). Replaced injector #3 and re sealed top gasket on pump and all codes cleared up runs fine. Injectors are pricy.

  11. #11Dualie2011-02-05 01:14

    if you ever had to buy a duramax injector the ford HEUI injectors are CHEEP!

  12. #12pburress2011-02-05 11:00

    agreed