Been thinking about getting a set of OTT tracks for a Case 450. I'm really looking for a set that will keep me from sinking while clearing land. The two sets I'm looking at are the Prowler Predator series and the other is sold on ebay for $1,795. The latter set is more of a solid type, a friend of mine bought them and loves them. Has anyone else used either of these? I'm also open to suggestions.
I bought a set from here http://www.tracksplus.com/ so far they have been fantastic but I don't have a lot of hours on them yet.
Yep. Tracksplus are the ones I looked at on ebay. They look like they would have more flotation than any of the other track designs. I've got 200 acres of locust to clean up and it is too wet to do anything. I think tracks will be the ticket.
I think that any of the open-pad, steel track OTT designs will give you great traction (but tear the crap out of the ground!!), but not as good flotation as a closed-pad design. McLaren makes a closed-pad design (with replaceable pads), & Camoplast makes a completely closed-pad rubber track that is steel wire reinforced. Both are more expensive than what you're looking at. Because I need maximum flotation on my NH L220, I went with the Camoplast rubber design. They also work well in snow, & they don't tear up the ground as badly as any other design. I leave them on year-round. My only complaint is I wish they were wider - they're only a tad over 13" or so. The only way to get better flotation would be to go with a real CTL with 18" wide tracks or if you want minimum ground disturbance, a suspended-undercarriage MTL with 18" wide tracks. Both are a LOT more expensive. Here's a photo of my machine with Camoplast OTT's:
@ StumpyWally - it would be cool if you fabricated a single idler on a torsion axle to go between your tires...would rut the ground even less!
Nice looking machine Stumpy. I think I'm going to go with the Tracksplus design. I think for the money they will give the best flotation. They look more like dozer tracks and seem a little wider than most other designs.