Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ouch

nowing75 ยท 2017-04-25 13:31

customer called said pin come out of the haul truck we're it pivots and oil is everywhere. Has anybody had this problem ,not sure what happened first I'm thinking when that fell in misaligned the driveshaft and that broke the dropbox

Replies13
  1. #1Hobbytime2017-04-25 15:32

    ouch is right...and thats gona cost a few bucks to fix...

  2. #2Cmark2017-04-25 16:25

    The early 740s had problems with the A frame pin coming loose but I thought they had it fixed with the B series. Has the A frame been removed for repair recently?

  3. #3nowing752017-04-25 17:51

    Not that I know of I just talk to our local dealer and he said they've had problems with that bearing failing and causing it to do that. In the process of looking for used box price from cats $43,000

  4. #4nowing752017-04-25 19:54

    It's funny when they called they made it sound like it was no big deal not sure that they didn't realize what all had happened

  5. #5ship 6602017-04-25 20:19

    I would say you are on target with what happened. 3 bolts hold the bearing tight against the tapered pin. When the A-frame fell put driveline in massive bind and broke drop box. The bolts must have been out or broken for a long time the last bearing I did had to put about 20ton of pressure to break the taper lock loose.

  6. #6DARO2017-04-25 20:38

    Iv seen them drop out.. never took out a drop box though. Front drive line and joints. A few hoses. Had one smash the sucition hose for that charge pump. Thing dont make much pressure to start with. When it was back together wuoldnt lock in the dif lock? Grrrrr.

  7. #7pburress2017-04-29 17:28

    Wow

  8. #8hvy 1ton2017-04-29 18:53

    That shelled out real good. Hopefully you can hunt down some salvage bits.

  9. #992U 34062017-04-30 18:05

    Duct tape and JB Weld will take care of that.

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2017-05-01 02:09

    Ouch is right! I too have seen it, both with Cat and Volvo trucks. Never broke a drop box though. It is a good idea to check the bearing for play now and then, and fix it before it is too late. Good luck finding a used case.

  11. #11Cmark2017-05-01 03:08

    I've never seen a failed bearing. So far, it has always been (as it It appears to be in this case) assembly error.

  12. #12fast_st2017-05-01 06:42

    I think mcmaster has jb weld in the large 10 ounce tubes! spare parts should be about, might only need a case.

  13. #13nowing752017-05-03 19:56

    I had them send it to the local cat house because I was afraid I could not get it done in a timely manner as our company machines are priority. They said the bolts did not appear to be striped out so its like they just backed off. So far they have not found much for used box.