Had the skid steer blocked up to change a drive motor and was standing on a milk crate about 8" tall to reach in and let the seat bar down so I could move the travel levers. Just as I reached up to release the latches the milk crate rolled out from under me and my ribs fell straight on the front cross panel. I had to sit down for few minutes to catch my breath. Don't think I broke any ribs but bruised then for sure. Luckily no sharp edges or anything but still was steel. Always something just when you think everything is going great. Good news is it's back on it's wheels under it's own power and no leaks so far.
Ouch!!! that's gonna leave a mark!!! good to hear you didn't break anything those milk crates can slide real easy on smooth concrete floors.... been there done that
Gravel floor but happens so fast you have no time to react.
I've even had those 2 step stools with rubber feet slide out from under me . Smacked my ribs several times over the years as well as my chin. Glad to hear nothing's broken and that your up and running .
In my 10 years of auto repair, I never found a good, safe, solid anything to stand on when leaning over/into something.
Having been there & done that, I can say in my 30+ years of turning wrenches, the only thing a milk crate is GOOD FOR is holding milk.!!! Its not even a good seat.. the center breaks, just as your tilting your head back to get the last "sip" outta the can..!!! I've had 1 slip on a smooth concrete surface w/ my face pressed up to a steel machine.. Talk about LUCKY.. I'm glad u made it out w/o any breaks.. HF sells a small painters platform for a few bucks.. looks sturdy enough,,??
A few years ago I was standing on a two step aluminum stepladder and I apparently didn't make sure the struts/latches/hinge (whatever you call it) was locked open and I fell backwards and hit my head on the concrete sidewalk. My head was a bloody mess - I looked like I didn't get the first punch in. Trip to the ER and they cleaned up my head and put a few staples in, I was super lucky I didn't wind up with a concussion. I'm at an age now where I'll spend the time and look for a stool, ladder or whatever would work the best. I never like to lean over to work on something unless both feet are on the ground.
Milk crates and five gallon buckets will be the death of me. Glad to hear that you are not terribly hurt.
I just got the Harbor Freight "sale" email.. 18" "painters" platform.. 19.99 & they have a 20% off coupon that u can use,, The coupon works for online orders too..
Dealt with two step short ladders, buckets and wooden crates. Only step I never had kick out was a mounted bumper a Tire supported step or a loader bucket edge, and STILL have shin scars and ribs are scratches and scars from boot slipping at an inopportune moment. SUCKS!! Be careful as that is how my Brother In Law passed. Was of all things hanging curtains in his newest home, slipped, bounced off the grabrail on the step stool he was using broke two ribs. He was recovering, passed a clot(Embolism) from the damage went to a lung and to his brain, dead before hit the floor. Still hard to consider he was same age I am currently when died.
I really liked the "engine creepers" we had at the old job.. Set them up & u can lay on them & work on an engine still in the p/u truck..laying on your belly. Very comfortable & sturdy.. but not so portable that u would take to a jobsite.. but they did collapse down flat. Miller, are u taking about the ones u slip over a tire & stand on.??
Glad to hear your ok . At my age now if my feet have to leave ground I not only planhow I’m getting up but how l’m getting down.
I was on a ladder on the front porch 1 Christmas hanging a wreath at the peak of the roof.. The front porch doesn't get much sun-lite in the winter & there was some algae on the wood.. No big deal, Right.?? WRONG.. That "stupid ladder" let me make it to the top before the bottom slid out from under me.. I just held on & rode it down to the deck.. I laid there.. DEAD STILL.. & yelled for the wife.. & yelled & yelled.. She finally comes & says, I "thought" I heard something.?? Are u ok.?? I said, IDK I'm afraid to move.. I finally mustard up enough nerve to SLOWLY roll off the ladder & thank goodness nothing was broken.. I had a LOT of bruises tho.. Lol
Had a mechanic working for me at the full time job Set a extension ladder against the side of van trailer to work on side marker Next I hear is a crash of the ladder come around the corner and he is standing firmly planted against the trailer on the rung of the ladder he followed to the ground Looked at me wide eyed panting like a over heated dog and hyper ventilating said he didn’t even have time to scream it went down so fast Could see his hand rubs from top to bottom in the dirty side!! When I stopped laughing we got hime looked over was fine just forever feared that ladder!
It's aches when I move certain ways but sleeping last night wasn't the most enjoyable experience. It's somewhat better today.
Ouch. I fell off my backhoe while removing the seat. Luckily there was a box blade to break my fall. It left a mark.