Just recieved this thing we now have to fix the rigup to be userfreindly
uh oh, that ain't a crane. IT'S A BOOM TRUCK!!!
any bets on how long till liebherr chimes in about that being a "crane":iagree:laugh well whatever you want to call it, it sure looks nice!!
well ..its a boom truck ... forget the power boom and all the other do-dads..theres no replacement for displacement..a crane under yer butt is just that ..a crane.... Anyway That yer new commision boomguy? nice lookin boom truck looks like a Newhollad 45T pintle hitch on there.. Tridem air ride tag's? 25 footer's? Whats under the hood? 18 over on the shifter? That Axial piston motor on the winch? Vane,gear or piston pump(s)?
She's even got a sleeper for the Oiler.
lol i had a response for ya but y even bother "air ride tag" *snickers*
hmm if I did'nt know any better I would bet that hes hinting its a Tri-drive tractor...pretty sweet!
Air ride tag ..yes .. see its right after the pintle hitch ..we just called tag trailers ,tag(s)..its a given that it was a trailer ..25footers ..with flip ramps or roll-off decks.(the whole deck tilts) *snicker* Lemme guess you thought i was refering to the truck ..
Ahhh Liebherr you gots it wrong again, but i did not post this to argue with someone like u. Just wanted to show off our rig. so u keep amazing us with your intelligence.
Im not arguing Someone like me ?????.. where's all this comming from ?? I did say it was a nice unit..Oh well have a nice day ..
Cool looking rigg boomguy.What are you doing to make it more user friendly? I like the rigging box & sleeper cab.
we have alot to do, first it needs backup and work llights, tirechain and load chain hangers, better steps on to the walking deck, towhooks front and back outrigger pad holders, radios and cellphone, lettering on the cab and boom and a spot to haul the spreader bar. Its probably 2 more weeks of building till its done.
lots of room for mat hanger's or storage ..on the 38T we had ..that space above the wheels ..after the fenders were put on ,a rack for hardwood dunnage was installed ..square mats would fit there as well ..everything at waist level ..was rather nice .. tire chains ..are you guys required to have them on you rig out there ? and tow hooks ..yes for some reason alot of machines dont have them anymore:beatsme ..optional as it is
Wonder where you are weight wise,Company has a 40 ton national, If he needs a manbasket it has to be hauled out on another truck. It has a pusher axle on it too.
bare like it is right now its 20750kgs on the tri and 7200kgs on the steer or 45650lbs and 15840. So we have a bit of room to work with
this is why we need tirechains and tow hooks
Nice rig! You gotta love winter road travel in the back country Being a tri-drive, are you paying an annual permit fee? And, can you permit your steer axle heavier, or are you frozen at the 7300kg limit?
Blurry ..but it looks like My Shak.. I thought about the chains after,,yeah ,,back country
we have a annual permit for the tridrive up too 23000kg and 9100 for the steer The one in the picture that *needs chains* lol is a wide spread tri he is allowed 24000 on the tri group and with the tandem steer with a yearly permit he is allowed to go to 15200kg.
nice boomtruck...
well if you talk to the "engineers" Their trucks never break down and never need a tow. Goes to reason they would think that they never get stuck either. When i spec'ed my T-800 i made damn sure to get the center HD tow pin i also had the lowbed ramps built to be pulled off of in a pinch. That's a pretty sweet looking boom truck...
This was our 45 ton we rigged 3 yrs ago its the one in the picture spun out on the hill.
another pic of the 45 ton finished but no lettering done.
I've never seen a rig like that....AWESOME.
I know some of these pics are boring, this is the step we had to add on the driver side for better access.
Boom trucks that are as tough as cranes! Was there a particular reason that you guys went to a single steer axle vice a tandem steer? How do you like the Manitex's? We have a 2892 in the fleet but lately we have been considering a machine from Weldco.
It had been sitting on NWC's lot for over a year so the price was right, I like Manitex overall its seems like a good make. I had a 30 ton stinger/terex and really liked it but they only make up to 35ton and that was too small. Never ran a weldco but have heard good things about them.
At least you know who to call.. a towtruck to pull you out,(speed dial) or a member of the International Union Operating Engineers... To drive and operate your boomtruck... P.S. we can run CRANES as well.... Are you signed up????
Tow trucks???? maybe a cat or bed truck. not many tow trucks of the size able to pull our trucks out. Also not many union hands in the oilpatch around here. and yet we seem to fare alright.
Get a bed truck a d9 and a "tow truck" to pull you out mano... What happens in the bush stays in the bush....Not many "non-union hands" here but our t-800 has stayed on the road for the most part....my 777 weighs 387000 WHAT u gonna pull that out of the ditch with???????????? If u need any pointers feel free to ask the qualified guys...Live better work union...... And by the way,,, I was commenting on the tri-drive Pete not the one in the ditch...You seem a bit touchy about the ditch...Or no wasn't that dually???? you two brainstorm and I will be waiting for your BRILLIANT and super INTELLIGENT response or responses....Good luck with those swamp mats....
This thread started well but what just happened?? u guys are weird.. anyway those are both cool trucks.. i like the 5th wheel on the 45 ton. All that aluminum work looks great..
:shf opcorn
its just a thread about a picker but someone seems cranky about something
First off boomguy your boomtrucks are as nice as I have ever seen, and you should be proud of the work you do to customize them. I can totally respect the fact that you are in the rocky mountains of Alberta you probably have the jewels on in the winter more often than not. I also can respect the fact that you are non union. The problem I had was with the comment about engineers never hit the ditch. We are not all pompous a-holes. We are proud of what we do just like you. I am very sorry for what I said. You guys ever look at the tandem tridom kdubs? One of them babies would look good in your fleet of cranes...if I mispelled any words I'm sorry. I'm sitting in my crane typing on a black berry. I will send some pics of what were up to here in northern Manitoba. Till then. All the best to you brother...
I think by engineer dualiee meant the engineers that build and design new equipment not operating engineers.
Exactly....
Yes I did mean Design engineers not operating engineers. My truck has never been "in the ditch" but i don't care what kind or magician you are every truck that hits dirt has the potential to get stuck. I seen some union hands that were dumber than a post. Had no business being in equipment yet they were sent from job to job with no concern for safety or equipment. To say that the union turns out superior operators without fail is naive and idealistic. Most definitely its untrue. The unions have they're place but its not a blanket coverall for all situations. Not every company has the resources to hire a union, teamsters, mechanics, operators, and laborers to just get a machine on site and set up. I seem to manage just fine with all three of those titles plus one more OWNER under my hat. Plus i don't have to carry the drama or overhead of keeping 5 people out of work instead of one employed.
I agree with that, when I was a kid my dad used to tell me that unions were o.k. but more often than not these unions ended up protecting the same dumb-asses that you speak of... I am proud to be an Operating Engineer, but I can also respect the fact that not all jobs are "union"...and that some hands are better than others...regardless...Sorry for the misunderstanding...
Dualie/ laurent ..I do agree ..union ops are not always the best ..but as any member of the OE's well tell you theres always the same guy's in the hall looking for a ride ..theres a reason these guys are there and they get moved alot .. In a sense and its an Argument ..as an operator im selfemployed ..my longivity as an operator within the union depends on my service and expertise ..once an operator has exhausted the union list of signatory parties ..he's almost unemployable...Should a guy like that go non union ..lets face it ..he wont last the day .. Sorry to hijack the thread boomguy ..but look at the bright side ..its staying of the second page ..:drinkup more pics when yer ready:cool2
Not a problem at all. Everybody has different view points on certain things, and i enjoy reading em all except....... BOOM TRUCKS ARE CRANES!!!!!!!
Union vs Non Union...broad as it is long. Makes no matter though, with crane operators that is. Operators are like peanut butter, they come in two flavors...smooth and crunchy. Union or Non.
Crane guys agree I was very lucky I had a good journeyman when I was an apprentice...He had me rigging at first, which was good cause I was nervous about the cranes, they were old P+h's live draw work machines...I quickly learned that he expected me to be dead on the money when we picked the hollow-core off the trucks...After developing my "eye" for about a year I wanted to run the cranes..I was tired of chasing the hooks...So when he let me operate, he'd tell me "control the swing and the rest will come" Well it took a while but it did come...The fact that he wanted me to be a good operator was very trying because he was very hard on me...If I messed up, he was all over me, but at the same time he'd tell me what to do to not have that problem again...I have always worked union since apprenticeship...But I owe all that I have to "MY" journeyman...Now he is in the tower cranes...I love the big crawlers...The pride that he took in his work and his union was instilled in me...I operate the 200t Manitowoc, but any chance I get, I also love to operate one of our other "cranes". have a good one guys we talk tmro.
Im sorry about my union rant. i was mostly indifferent to them until their business agent started harassing me, THEN we were working on a children's hospital on work that the main iron contractor had turned down. They flat refused to do the job, they flat didnt want anything to do with it. I got my guys in there and there main iron crew had a bitch fit and walked off the job. This conveniently happened to be a Friday @11:30AM. But at the end of the day it was a children's hospital and the work was all sub grade retaining wall work that wasnt in their charter anyway. I will say as far as crane ops are concerned that NCCCO is somewhat of a joke. I started out washing the trucks and cranes. Then moved up to greasing and servicing. Then heavy repairs then i got to rig, then i got to operate. thats the story for every aspect of this business im in. 4th generation doing it, I tell every one of my new hires that there isn't one ****** job i will ever ask them to do that i wouldn't and haven't done myself.
And My head is like a rock!! Yeah!...Right!:crazy
Ha ! Atta boy. We'll buy an 11200-9.1. We will call her the biggest boomtruck in Canada. Not much room on the deck. Doh. Like a rock. Got more cool pics today. Will post when I get to my Mac. Have a great day boys. Lieb..boomguy...dualie...we will chat later.
Its finished finally, going on its maiden voyage.
Very nice. I'm a Pete guy. The tri drive is sweet.
WoW Boomguy that a VERY nice rig you have there. What kind of weight can you carry on the trailer ??
Thanks, all the wieght has to be on the trailer but it should be able to pack around 36000lbs
50ton Excellent job! The racks look great. With that tri-drive setup, I bet that machine is better setup than our Liebherr LTM1045 opcorn Can you travel during break-up with all your rigging stowed on the truck??