Well, after some dealing a trading my grandpa ended up with this 1973 Pete 352 with a 260" wheelbase and air ride rearends and cab. When we got it a last weekend we knew that the motor ran and that was about it. It leaked air so bad that it wouldnt build over 20 pounds, the pump to raise the cab wouldnt work, it didnt have any tires and wheels and the fithwheel was missing. The guy said he couldnt figure out the pump for the cab and since he couldnt figure out the air problem without raising the cab he had just given up and let it sit. I screwed around with it a bit and found out that the pump was just out of fluid and the air leak was just a line under the dash, ten minutes and a few tires later we were cruisin down the road to test it out. We were told that it had a small cam 350 in it but after we finally got it home and jacked the cab up we were pleasently suprised to find an NTA 420 hiding under there! Behind that is a 13 speed eaton tranny and 40K pound rear ends with only 350,000 original miles on the whole truck! Yesterday it got a fithwheel and some new tires and wheels put on and this morning grandpa took it instead of his regular truck, he said it ran perfect all day other than the ac not working.
:woohoo:woohoo:beerchug Very cool MT!!!! Whats going to happen with his other truck? Is it going to be a back up?
He will keep running his regular truck, this one will be the backup truck and the just for fun truck.
very cool MT, thx for the comeback!!!!
I just saw this runnin in Sonoma county a cpl weekends ago! Great lookin rig guys! On that note yer grams ride today through petaluma Stole the show on the road today! Polished out real choice... First CLASS!
My grandpa has been running this blue one for the last couple of weeks while we rebuild the motor in his. That was both my grandparents you saw today, I passed them while they were going through Petaluma as well. They got loaded in Santa Rosa this morning and were on the way to San Diego.
They must smile at work man... Stole the "101" show yesterday! You ever consider runnin for em now that it is A three truck show?
They love every minute of it! I would run for them in a heartbeat and probably would have been a long time ago but thanks to a pre existing condition I have to keep a job that provides health insurance. More likely though if I didnt have that problem I would be rolling down the road in a truck with my own name on the door. Speaking of names and doors, the new truck just got back from the sign painter, it's not very often that you see companies with four digit CA numbers
damn does your gramps do all his own polishing or does he have someone up there? lookin sweet!!!
He does it all himself, on this one he sanded all the wheels and tanks first and then started polishing. They were in pretty rough shape at first but turned out really nice.
Nice!! Those old 352's are cool old trucks. My dad worked for Inco Express in the 70's when they ran a lot of those. He had 3 of them leased on with them. I don't ever remember seeing one with a cab jack that worked right. It seemed like the reservoir was too small. They'd run out of fluid about 1/2 way up, so you add fluid. When you let it down, the excess would run out the vent.
I totally understand man... I live in Fairfax Caz and my rent is super retarded! I was in Palo Alto before this n it was even worse! My current job has no heavy equip or trucks to speak of BUT it is salaried,insured and four weeks paid vacay not to mention I have an 8 mile commute. Cant seem to pull myself away to live A dream of trucking and living in the bay area!
I still get to truck everyday, I spend my day days hauling equipment all over northern california. I love what I do but am not a big fan of the trucks I have to do it in. They might not have good trucks but they have good health insurance so it looks like thats where I'll be staying for awhile. I would love to be running the transfer that I have just sitting there waiting to go. I also wouldnt mind seeing a lowboy behind this cabover, that wouldnt be somthing you see every day!
Copy! was thinkin the old outside rail flatbed in Cloverdale that used to sit where yer homies soils yard was. I also did the Cozad style lowbed in my mind as well! I like those 352s w tall 24.5 rubber or the ol 10x22s myself. Good luck on gettin yer own rig rollin! Thanks for posting!
My own rig is ready to roll, just gotta check the oil and kick the tires. I would be rolling in it right now but I cant give up the benefits im getting from my current job.
You have yer own transfer.. Cool! Gimme the specs please. 359 I assume or ???
It's an '88 379 exhd with a 550 cat and 18 speed. I took over my dad's transfer, there are pictures of it in the dump truck thread.
Copy. I think I remember. It had the paint that changes shade depending on the light right
Yep, that's the one!
Hey MT, Saw the blue COE rollin all purdy in Petaluma today!She looks real sharp tuggin on A closed tandem reefer! Looking sharp !
For a truck that was just supposed to be for fun and a backup if needed that thing sure has been getting alot of miles. Gramp's truck needs the motor put back together but they are so busy now that he cant park the new one long enough to work on the old one. I guess that's a good problem though!
Copy! I am in Humbolt county and have been taking pics all day and found 6 COEs that are in all stages of condition. I still cant get my pics on here yet but the nicest was an ex Goeslin (sp?) transport Pete that just needs another 400 cummins in er and was once his show truck! Alto Bros and old Hooper trucking boneyards! Very cool stuff! Its dump truck city up here right now! More than log trucks running around.
pretty nice truck! It looks almost a 80% new one! Had your grandpa repainted that truck?
Digital dash? Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Nope, all we did wash wash and wax it. Not bad for a truck that got pulled out of the scrapyard!
Yes, I can not find even any rust on that truck.Can you tell me what is that white box on the tuck in the 1st picture?
Oh, that's a temperature control system, I find out that on the net.
That's the front of a 48' reefer trailer that it's hooked to