Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Our old iron

iceberg210 · 2008-07-13 05:03

Well I've wanted to do this for a while, and finnally got some pictures, so here is some of the older machinery that we've got on our family's property. Also sometime I'll put up some work pictures of the cleanup, clearing etc jobs that we've been doing lately. Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures of our old equipment as much as I've enjoyed yours. The pics are as follows, Me on my 1947 John Deere Model AN Our old Dodge Semi (that has since been sent to the scrapyard) Our old 1978 Ford F600 that hadn't been run in maybe three years, but after we hooked up gas and turned it over maybe twice it started right up. It smoked a bit but it cleaned up and we may use at as our delivery truck again it ran so well. (It's got a 360 big block in it)

Replies30
  1. #1iceberg2102008-07-13 05:10

    Our old Concrete mixer that my Dad, his parents, and his siblings used to pour the slab for their house, but it's now been sent to the scrapper as well. This is my dad's TD-6-62 Drott loader, it's a wonderful piece of equipment, and definately one of the most useful machines on the property. Somehow we need to get the left steering clutch unstuck (anyone have any suggestions?) but beyond that its a great machine, plenty of power, and just so useful in anything from clearing, loading, dozing, grading (that's a bit tricky) etc. This is my Grandma's Takeuchi excavator. Its' one of the newest machines on the property and runs great. We use it all the time and its a fantastic machine.

  2. #2iceberg2102008-07-13 05:21

    This is my Grandma's 100KW Cat genset. We're actually trying to sell it so if any one is interested just PM me. This is a cheap chinese crap little tractor (i've never seen something built so poorly). My grandfather bought it new and its been bad even when it first got here. I'd always buy a used Deere or Case or any good brand then a new piece of Chinese crap. (You can see in the background the front of the old TD -18 engine that runs the sawmill, I think I'll have to take some pictures of that too) It isn't in as good of shape as that great looking AW grader but this is a good running Huber Warco grader. It needs a new mulboard, but beyond that its in pretty good shape. The best part of it is the old Detroit 4v71 that powers it. It's LOUD but it doesn't actually smoke that bad, has plenty of power and runs great. I love those Detroits!!!!

  3. #3iceberg2102008-07-13 05:35

    This is our D3. It's a good dozer but it unfortunetly needs a ring job if it were to be worked every day (you have to add a quart ever other day if you run it all day, so for using it every month or so like we do its not that big of a deal). But it does need the Ujoint seals between the final and transmission replaced (they leak) so that's the next job to do. Although the odd thing is that its not leaking right now. Anyway we had to fix the starter and getting that thing in and out was a beast. The engineers must have assumed you'd never need to take that thing out. This is the parking area that we made for the equipment and some of the equipment on it. The big forklift there is my dad's Lion Lift All powered by a big old Ford 300. It's a 1978 model and can lift 8000lb's and can go 30 feet high. Great machine, worked its butt off moving all the scrap metal around and loading up the various veichels and scrap that went down to the scrap yard. Also you can see the grader and the Ford there again, and in the very background you can see the front of the 1964 Chevy C60 that we've also got. This is the parts machine for our Allis Chalmers TL-12. This one is actually a Tractomotive (before the Allis buyout) but they are almost identical so we use this one for parts. I'm on vacation now (In Sweden, my sister is playing in the Gothia Cup) but when I get back I'll take some more pictures of the other machines. Thanks for reading.

  4. #4stretch2008-07-13 12:21

    My advice: fix up that Ford!!! They're good ol' trucks.

  5. #5iceberg2102008-07-13 14:01

    Yep its a great old truck and I'll probably be fixing it up as soon as I get back. I'll have to bleed and adjust the brakes, adjust the clutch, fix the choke cable, put a better bed on her, give her a new coat of paint, etc.

  6. #6handtpipeline2008-07-13 14:45

    Why is the blade pitched forward on the D3 like that? I have a Case 1150 B that has hydraulic adjustable pitch on the blade, but it has the outside C frame push arms, and twin tilt cylinders.

  7. #7iceberg2102008-07-14 02:37

    The pitch on that D3 isn't hydraulically controlled, but it has a manual adjustment I believe and I need to fix that adjustment so that the pitch isn't so aggressive. Also I need to put a new cutting edge on the left side.

  8. #8Komatsu 1502008-07-14 19:28

    I had to laugh a little. The old man ran his AC HD7 until he was putting in 2 GALLONS of oil a day before he let me overhaul the engine. He hated to touch anything until it just wouldn't go any more. It was a gallon in the morning and a gallon at lunch and a hard 10 to 12 hour day. It still made plenty of power and of course lots of blue smoke.

  9. #9Hjolli2008-08-18 17:03

    But it looks like the PAT blade is breaking off!!

  10. #10jlm3352008-08-31 18:48

    I would have kept that dodge semi.. those are a rare find and it wouldve been great to haul that equipment with..

  11. #11iceberg2102008-09-04 00:22

    Hjolli would you mind expanding I'm not sure what you mean by the PAT blade. Thanks, I'm not as knowledgeable about this stuff as most of you guys! Oh and we still have one old Dodge semi, (the one we still have has both axles as drive while the one we got rid of only had the first one as a drive), my grandfather used to use it as the log loader. Unfortunately it needs a rebuild and a new clutch so we've just skidded logs and then loaded them on a trailer recently. But beyond that its kind of cool truck. My only real issue with it is that its not a diesel, so I've been looking for an old B Mack or something like that to put the loader on. Something with an old Detroit 8v71 or one of the old Mack engines, that would be fun. I'm back in Seattle so I'll put up some more pics here in the near future.

  12. #12Bellboy2008-09-04 10:45

    Do all of them still run?

  13. #13hvy 1ton2008-09-04 13:17

    I thought you might like to know that the Fords have 361 and 391 engines in them instead of the 360 and 390 found in light duty trucks. They have a lot in common with one another, but the one major difference is the 1's have forged cranks. The cool part is you can take that crank and put it in a light duty motor, and build a pretty hot motor. If the 391 in my dump ever goes out the crank is going in my buddys '53 f100 gasser.

  14. #14wormkiller2008-09-05 22:11

    PAT, power angle tilt I think. That D3 had no pitch adjust, as I remember on mine, the angle cylinders would wear and suck out over time. Did yours have something added? That dozer was the first model I learned on, screechin dry clutches and 1spd reverse.Those old Dodges are kinda neat.

  15. #15psychobilly2008-09-18 04:40

    nice collection of old iron.

  16. #16Countryboy2008-09-18 15:48

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums psychobilly! :drinkup

  17. #17psychobilly2008-09-18 21:57

    Thanks for the welcome. This makes post number 3 for me so I hope I can post up some of my old iron now.

  18. #18greatdane2008-10-06 11:35

    New member from Denmark Scandinavia I´ve found this great forum through a link in a German Heavy equipment forum. This is a great forum and I´m very glad I´ve found it. My name is Gert and I live on the outskirts of Copenhagen. I have been operating construction equipmen in the 1970ès and the early 80`s BM-Volvo wheelloader, Yale wheelloader, Volvo dumpers and Caterpillar track-loader. I´m now 54 years old and I´m working in a call center but still interrested in Tractors. construction equipment, and truck´s. I have a cousin who is living in Jackson Michigan. :usa Link to German forum : http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/hmportal.php

  19. #19iceberg2102008-12-31 20:24

    Well I got a new digital camera for Christmas, and I'm back in Seattle so its time for more pictures! And as follows, International Dump Truck with aluminum bed, actually if you need an aluminum bed we're selling the truck and bed. The truck isn't worth much, but the bed is in good shape. Allis Chalmers ACP40 forklift. We bought this about five years ago at an auction and its provided us a great machine ever since! Our three electric forklifts.

  20. #20iceberg2102008-12-31 20:32

    Here's a couple more pics The old Gerlinger forklift that I'd love to restore someday, unfortunetly it probably won't happen. The old Dodge semi with a Remy log loader on the back. In fact I'm looking for a better truck to put that loader on. Thanks again for all the comments and hope you enjoy the new pictures! Hopefully by Monday I'll have a pic of the new grader that is coming in too.

  21. #21IH560JL2009-01-02 19:51

    Yea

  22. #22Case 580e2009-06-18 16:07

    that 1962 ford flatbed truck is sweet my uncle has a bucket truck and a picker truck like that

  23. #23Don Welliver2009-06-22 22:40

    Nothing runs like a Deere.

  24. #24amunderdog2009-06-23 00:01

    Dodge 1000 brings back memories. Drove one for several years. Old hand around the shop said he drove them new; and they where about top of the line truck in there day. Big bad 250 Cummins with 10spd trans. Shift - shift and shift some more. Took all 10 gears to get to 50mph and as soon as you saw a hill start shifting back down. The cab was designed as some sort of resonance chamber that would rattle your world. Oh and my first case of roids was helping the mechanic try and bleed the infernal air over hydraulic clutch. Thanks for the memories and nice pictures.

  25. #25Jlillie22011-04-12 14:58

    Interesting, my TB25 has different controls, and a different rops system on it. (Four point) I wish mine had the metal pads, rubber tracks just fail, and you are done.

  26. #26hvy 1ton2011-04-12 18:59

    You make any progress with the big ford?

  27. #27580bruce2011-04-13 09:46

    Looks like some old iron that used to be on the Kent-blackdiamond road?

  28. #28DiamondLTruckin2011-04-13 23:40

    You know what year that Dodge is? I have a 100 and 300 Dodge trucks that are 1960 year. My grandpa sold the D100 when it was new. I know they are somewhat similar to those semi's and used the same cab, I can see the headlight rings are the same too. If you end up parting with it after you find a new truck I could probably be convinced to buy it form ya! I seem to collect old Dodge trucks.

  29. #29iceberg2102011-06-07 12:34

    Exactly, my grandfather was the guy who started that lumberyard/saw mill right there. The old Ford runs like a top whenever I'm up there to start it, rebuilt the carb etc, need to do some adjusting on the brakes and the clutch, but hope to bring it to the ATHS show in Yakima in a couple years. It's a neat truck. Diamond L Truckin, we'll keep you posted on that, too bad I didn't know before we sent a pair of old dodges to the scrapper sadly a few years back...

  30. #30old12011-06-26 10:32

    Old Iron Certainly looks like you have your hands full. Enjoyed your post.