here are some pics of some of my gear: The smoky one is Galion T600B with wornout C175 cummins before we put the C180 in, The one with the tree on it is the Letornea westinghouse Goodwin Adams, Has a Nh4 Cummins, The dozer is Garden Variety Cat D4D but we are proud of the hole it Dug! -Took three weeks of 10 hr days
That's a HOLE
that's a lot of work for a 4.
Hi Goodwin, Well done on digging that hole...a lot of patience on your part,got a good job done.I can see why you need water storage up there.. I spent time up at Kunnunurra in the 90s,working near Lake Argyle. The heat & dust really take a toll on men & gear....45c was the daily temperature,but it was hotter 'coz of the rocky ground,etc. Luckily,we were able to take a swim in the lake at the end of each day. It was so quiet out there,that you could hear the termites eating the fallen timber. Jim
patience Patience is not the word, If i wasnt working for myself,I would have Quit, it took two weeks to stop coughing up red dirt! Generally try to wait for rain with the open cab, much nicer on the operator. recently got an obscure italian built dozer,ICM massey 500b(I know there nasty, but it was real cheap and probly no worse than a Komatsu) it has a worn axle spline but we will patch it up, should dig a lot quicker than the D4. and you never know when you might need a solid mooring for when the floods come! Goodwin.Beating back the wilderness....
Hi Goodwin, Those MF500 were not well liked....engine problems,I believe,were common. I think they had a V8 fitted.The 200s & 300s were more popular ,but parts are drying up. I think there are 2 parts suppliers in Tamworth.Minnpar (USA) may also help with some parts. Parts are also possibly found at the bottom of any cliff that a 500 owner lived near! Your little pond should fill overnight very soon,I'd imagine. Jim
Some 500 Brochures...
Perkins Jim you know how to ruin a guys day! We thought the V8 perkins was the best part
Goodwin, Hopefully,you have a good one... I've only ever seen 2 of the 500s...both had engines in varied states of repair. I don't think there were many of them sold here,compared to the 2244,200 & 300. ...anyway,if it turns out a dud,you can use it as an island in "Lake Goodwin". Jim
Hot n Dry That dry red dirt is harsh on everything I enjoy the solitude of working "outback" but it's a long haul for parts etc. Not the place for the faint hearted
Do those machines run normal air filters or oil bath? Thats alot of dust
oil bath Mitch, the graders run oil bath, the dozer is element, on a bad day it can block in 4hrs! The oil baths go for weeks, they are great, i would reccomend them to anyone, they are nasty to scrape out, but you dont do it very often
Oil baths definetly work the best but like you say, but cleaning the muck out the bottom is a pain!! You should fit an oil bath to the dozer?
Yes Mitch, We really should, the main problem is that the housing is bolted to the manifold and sits horisontally under the bonnet, so its alot of work to mount it up properly, visibility is bad enough on thast machine without a big oil bath as well.Basically, its all a bit hard. In my defence, we did fit them to both graders