I pulled the grove out sunday afternoon for some servising ,check fluid levels,ect.everything looked good until I stowed the outrigers and noticed oil running from the right rear jack.Here are pics of me pulling it out today.The tm 250 used the box type outriger so you have to dig a 3 foot deep trench to get it out.
Here are more pics.
At least you have a crane to handle the outrigger cylinder. :notworthy
Thats funny.When I was talking to the man at the hydraulic repair shop ,he keped telling me how heavy the cylinder was.I dont think the grove even felt it on the hook.
That's cool, but your skid backhoe is an extendahoe? Never seen that before.
Me neither, that's pretty sweet.
I use the skidloader for alot of jobs,I like the 911 extendahoe.I would be lost without it.I took the cylinder apart today,The barrel & rod look great.The gland seal is the culprit.I ordered a seal kit from Walter Payton equipment,they are the grove dealer in my area.Here are a couple of pics.
Nice lathe you have there. Is it a south bend or a Warner-swasey? Looks like you got the cylinder apart pretty easy. Never saw one out of it's hole before.
The lathe is an "FL-Ellsey" ,I think it was made in Chicago IL,early 1940's vintage.The cylinder came apart easy.I about fell over when they told me the cost of the rebuild kit,"O-rings ,steel rings,seals.38 dollars and 51 cents.I dident think you could buy anything on a grove for that.
25c, does the piston have the square urethane seal with the o-ring loader under it?
Yes.It is in between two steel piston rings.
Thought so. I've worked on hydraulics for years and I'm still amazed at how much pressure that little seal can handle.
Me to.I expected to see more cup seal's.But if it works,dont try to fix it.They kept it simple,which is usually best.
You'd think so, but actually, the square urethane ring is a much stonger and reliable seal for high pressure and/or high load force like you would have on an outrigger or boom lift cylinder. Also, they're less likely to fail as probably any other seal in these applications. They do require, however, a close tollerance between piston and barrel. An excessivly honed barrel won't make the seal fail, but it just won't last as long as it should. And I've seen people damage them during installation. It's just amazing that the weight of your whole rig is sitting on a "plastic" ring about 1/8" - 3/16" wide.
I could not have said it better ,Grove new what they were doing.
Ok folks.The packing kit came in ,and the cylinder went back together fine.We installed it this evening so we are back in the crane business.Here are pics of putting the cylinder together.
Cool stuff. But $38.51 for the seal kit...from Grove??? Man that just ain't right.
I know ATCO.It did not include the steel rings on the piston ,but it had all the seals and o-rings.I cant complain.If your an owner-operator in a crane business,own a grove.
I recently acquired a CAT E120B excavator and realized I had a leaking piston. Would like to know what it would cost to bring it to a shop for repair, and secondly, what special tools I would need to repack the piston myself. I had not previously owned heavy equipment. Thanks
If you decide to tackel the E120b cylinder ,dont hesitate to ask questions.You may need to send a picture of what your working on so we can all view it.You will meet alot of knowledgable people on the forum.
Thanks for the input and I will get some pics thanks
Nice Job! looks like it went really smooth. Not like when I get the piston on and totally torqued and look over and the gland is sitting on the bench.
Ouch! :Banghead
Repacked another outrigger this afternoon . This was on the digger derrick truck . Not that complicated but the upper pin on the cylinder barrel is a real pain in the arse to get out . no room to swing a hammer . It's rusted tight in the barrel . Only option is cut it out with the torch . That's what we did on the other side last time . I ended up making a few spanner wrench's and was able to leave the barrel in the outrigger box . One was a lighter duty crow foot , other is a piece of 3 " square tubing . Used the square tube & pipe wrench to bust it loose . Worked really good . Extended the cylinder rod through the tube , then inserted pin in rod end & sucked it back in against the cylinder . Now with no way for it to slip off I put the pipe wrench & cheater on and gave that Massey Ferguson what for :guns:Cowboy.......... And it broke loose
Spent most of the morning making the wrench's . Took about an hour to rebuild the cylinder . Didn't feel like wedging myself up in the beast to remove the line fitting at the cylinder so opted for pulling it loose at the holding valve inside the frame rail . Needed to do that so I could remove & install rod & piston . The big job on these cylinders is often removing them or breaking gland & rod nuts loose . I have 4" X 4" steel tubing in my shop floor 3 foot deep . Use it when we break the rod nut loose . Put a shaft through he clevis end of the rod to hold it & breaker loose .
Well done sir! I agree....it's removing the cylinder and getting the gland nut loose that's the PITA. I've done all four on my crane outriggers.....I ended up plasma cutting a gland wrench as what I had wouldn't work (too small of a space where cylinders are mounted).
Yes , things sure go better when you have / or fabricate the needed tool for the job . You outdone yourself on the Galion 150 restoration BobCatBob , that rig really turned out nice . :thumbsup I need to take a long weekend and burn the paint down on the digger derrick truck & blow some new color on . Seems to be a pretty solid old truck .
Thanks td25c Nothing like refurbishing an old piece of equipment....they don't make them like they used to (before cad/cam , lots of extra steel for safety factor on these old machines).
Absolutely Bob . I'm the same way . Just really enjoy Rehabbing older trucks & equipment & putting them back on a job site . The old digger derrick was actually a wrecker call that went bad . Customer called & needed a price hauling it to the scrap yard . I showed up & looked it over . Called customer back on cell phone and the next thing I know I'm writing him a check and another one get's hauled home . LOL! Lost money on that job .
Sounds like a good problem to have. Just make sure you have some profitable jobs so you can keep playing.
Good point caterpillarmech . We used that truck quite a bit last year . I owe it a good coat of paint . It's really a pretty versatile rig with tool bed ,boom , and auger . Sometimes use it for smaller lifting tasks . Just kind of a handy all around truck .
Our shop neighbors had one that could have been a twin. Same truck, same color, different auger and crane assembly. We did some horse trading for some holes we needed. I rebuilt the boom telescoping cylinder and hydraulic lines. The lines were actually rods themselves. Very cool truck.
Don't paint over the patina. It takes years to get that perfect look.
Never thought about that . Come to think of it the old digger derrick has somewhat of a "Rat Rod " look about it . Rat Truck . In the last picture We were drilling holes for a pole building project . Truck came in handy on that job . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?51-Fwd-Trucks&p=1251&viewfull=1#post1251
More hydro cylinders These are not out riggers but the procedure is similar.
Bush hog wing cylinder Done this one the other day while waiting on a water pump for the tractor . I hate these cylinders . Held together with snap rings . They work ok but can be a pain in the arse getting the gland head apart as rust tends to set things up tight over the years .
Gland seal was leaking on the # 2 Grove outrigger extension cylinder . Pulled it this afternoon & noticed while removing it from the outrigger something didn't look rite ? FTF !
Is that an optical delusion?
Bet you could straighten it with a press. Somebody left a big lumber pile right where that crane needed set up, and they just put the outrigger up against it and pushed. (Not that I've done that or anything). Or somebody's been pushing chart over the front corner and had it up on its toes. (Yet again, not that I've done that very thing). Of course, any of that may have happened in 1974 when it was 6 years old and it finally took out the seal.
The rod had a pretty good bow to it . I was surprised at first about it . Oh well one more thing to do . We ended up using the 170 Allis-Chalmers telehandler with a slab of precast on the forks to put the rod back in line before disassembling the cylinder . Little trial & error with the Old Man running the 170 ……. Settle down & take it easy ! LOL We over did it a few times but he got her back in shape .
One of the handiest tools I use aside from the Leatherman is this combo 1/2 & 3/4 ratchet with spud wrench handle at 0:47 . It's been great for cylinder work .
love those spud handles I have adjustable wrenches that way to just so handy
I'm the same way Jonas302 . Spotted this 3/8 & 1/2 dual drive spud ratchet with the hammerhead . https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-drive-spud-ratchet-with-hammerhead-3-8-x-1-2 Feller may need a permit to carry that rig .