I need some outrigger pads for my Grove rt59s (15 ton). Any advise ? Make or buy? Wood or composite? 4x4s with plywood top and bottom nailed? Through bolt with treaded rod? How big ? How thick ? Being a boat repair place we got the stuff to make our own. I was thinking that 4 layers of 3/4" fir plywood laminated together with epoxy resin would make one very stiff pad. I can also vacuum bag the lamination to ensure equal clampng pressure. Thanks in advance for any input.
Dont know alot them but i think you got it covered:thumbsup
Hi; Building them yourselves would be the cheapest. Laminating together plywood would be a fine idea. Currently for our 30ton RT we are using plywood pads that have been screwed and glued together. When you consider your overall dimensions, the "rule of thumb" is to enlarge the surface area of the pad by 3 x the area of your machine's float. Of course if your yard is soft, you may want to increase the pad size further. I would also suggest building them round to aid in moving them and to pass a rope through the layers to create lifting handles.
I second that ..they are nice to handle ..an tough as hell .. only thing i would add is to use "deck screw's" because they don't rust or back out.. Also..in between the plywood Id use PL Premium construction adhesive to bond the wood into one ..this also strengthens them.. took command of a few newer Tadano RT's from Sterling ..that's how they had them assembled ..really nice solid mat ..