Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Outrigger rollers

Knocker of rock ยท 2015-08-27 12:13

How often do you see these? I never worked on tilt-ups, so I'm not sure if they are at all prevalent anymore. These photos were the last time I saw them in use, 1973.

Replies9
  1. #1lumberjack2015-08-27 15:00

    I reckon today is my first time to see them... I wasn't around for a while after '73.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2015-08-27 20:18

    I have never seen them before either. I see the front out riggers are stowed. I wonder if that was an approved lifting procedure. Them are fairly tall tilt ups. They must have backed up as they stood them up.

  3. #3FSERVICE2015-08-27 22:04

    the tilt up walls are ALL they are using in the new river ridge development here in southern Indiana now under construction. the rollers on the other hand, I have only ever saw 1 set on a crane & thought that they were something the owner ha rigged up!! ( yes he is well known for stuff like this) all the tiltup walls now are set with crawlers here!!

  4. #4lantraxco2015-08-27 23:26

    Shortly after I had left a sitework company they were doing a tiltup spread for Frito-Lay, a big truck warehouse for chips. The concrete boys were about two thirds done standing up panels when things got ugly. As the crane was swinging a panel over one outrigger, it punched through the concrete floor. Panel went down, crane went down, riggers running for their lives, jackstays popping, every panel that was up, came down. Wish I could have seen that. Nobody hurt. Lawsuits everywhere, in a circle, never did hear how it came out, but everything met the engineering and they had the compaction and concrete lab reports. Sometimes everything should have been okay, and stuff happens anyway. Maybe that's why they use crawlers nowadays, spread the load out?

  5. #5Knocker of rock2015-08-28 00:43

    Out side the finished slab, or on mats?

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-08-28 07:42

    They normally walk out side here and tilt up to the crane if there it room. If not we most often went to smaller panels so we had some reach to set them. Most of the industry here has gone to factory made insulated precast panels instead of tilt ups. Lots of fancy finishes available that way.

  7. #7Dualie2015-08-28 17:21

    We use them daily out here in CA to set tilt ups day in and day out. Even precast double T's in the right situation. A good operator and oiler can make a tilt up go slick. Bigge still runs their 300ton terex conventional truck crane ragged with those set on it, hardly ever hits the yard.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2015-08-29 22:38

    I never formed tilt ups myself but a friend used to say that if the foreman recognized your face you were fired because you must have looked up from your work to often. He also said that the paychecks had a picture of their bent over hind ends for identification

  9. #9Dualie2015-08-30 01:29

    Its got a pace to it for sure, not to bad lately. A lot of the tilt wall panels have to much detail and cutouts in them to be ultra high paced. its a science now, when the panel book comes out its pretty dialed in and makes the process easy.