Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Over charging

planecrazzzy ยท 2014-02-28 21:17

Hmmm, I'm over charging... ( 580K ) Is it the regulator or bad batteries ? ( Frying the fluid out of them ) . I'll check it out this Spring... Just thought I'd ask... Gotta Fly...

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2014-02-28 22:08

    What's the voltage running? too high, over 15, then it's the regulator. And what's the battery voltage not running? too low and the battery is bad, but then you'd have other problems before now if the battery had a dead cell...

  2. #2planecrazzzy2014-02-28 23:30

    Yeah , I've got a feeling it's the regulator... Is it "in" the Alt ? I'll need to replace the batteries too... As it is... Idle ... the gauge is in the red.... I turn on all the lights.... and the gauge is in High green.... But once I start working the throttle... it goes back to red... If the regulator is "in" the Alt.... is it easy to replace ? or does the whole alt need to be replaced... . Gotta Fly... . .

  3. #3Delmer2014-03-01 08:54

    Yeah, that might be one sign you have a problem. I don't know which alternator you have, but if it's a typical delco then the regulator is inside the alternator and is easy to replace on the bench and cheap. If it's the original alternator, I always like to replace parts rather than get a "new" or aftermarket rebuild with ALL cheap parts. If it's a cheapo rebuild already then just swap it at Fleet Farm. The batteries may be fine, just fill up the water and see how they do. You have been using distilled water, right?

  4. #4planecrazzzy2014-03-01 09:59

    Yes on the distilled water... Thanks guys.... Looks like all I need is warmer weather to work on it. . Gotta Fly...