I was recently stopped for being over loaded, I was pulling a bobcat 331 mini. About a 7800lb machine if memory serves me right. I have a tandem axle trailer rated at 10,400lbs it has 2-5200lb axles. I was towing with a single wheel GMC 3500. The highway patrol said that I was overloaded because the trailer weights 3000lb bring load plus trailer to 10800lbs. Is it unreasonable to assume a 10,400lb trailer should haul 7800 or even 10000lb with no problem and be legal?
I would say no. You didn't say whether a gooseneck or not, but he didn't consider tongue weight. Apparently he didn't weigh you?
It was a pintle hitch, and I asked for scales. She said none were available at the time. I was let go with only a warning as that was my only issue. I'm just ticked off and don't understand why they say it don't matter how much you throw across the hitch that don't count
Manufacturer's GTWR is total. Unhook it from the truck on scales, it is not to exceed Manufacturer's GTWR. Reality is hooked to the truck, there is some tongue weight. A 10,000 loaded trailer has less than 10000 lbs on the tires. In VT at least, loaded weight exceeding 10000 requires CDL.
Smart move asking for the scales wrc ! Don't get ticked off or try to understand any of it . Sounds like they were fishing around ? LOL !
In Kansas, you only need a CDL if the GCWR exceeds 26,000lbs. Trailer should have Gross Axle Weight Rating and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on the tag. GVWR of the trailer should be axle+tongue weight. If it is the same as the GAWR then the officer wasn't wrong.