Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Over Tire tracks

sandcreek ยท 2011-04-29 14:55

looking at getting a set of steel tracks for S250. Are they hard on tires? Can you get on fairly steep slopes like a rubber tracked machine like a T300?

Replies6
  1. #1MaCotMFF2011-04-29 16:12

    We use tracks over tires on some of our machines. Tires under tracks last a lot longer, especially when in rough, rocky terrain. And yes, the traction is boosted quite a bit. A good set of tracks over a set of solid tires is the best combo for low maintenance and longevity. My two pence.

  2. #2KSSS2011-04-29 19:26

    Side hilling with the steel tracks can be hard on the tires with certain tracks. I have the Trail Blazer tracks from Loegren which I think is now called the F track and it has the steel pads. I tore up some tires with these doing a lot of side hilling. I would talk to the track OEM and tell them what you want to do and let them give you the tracks that works the best in that application. As far as climbing, it amazing, better than rubber tracks I think. They are not kind to concrete or asphalt surfaces.

  3. #3BDFT2011-04-29 21:52

    I second everything that's already been said. An S250 on steel tracks will probably run right past a T300 on the sidehill.

  4. #4lgammon2011-04-29 22:56

    i have a 236 cat with ott tracks and a 277b, the 236 will out preform on a hill but the 277b shines in the sloppy stuff.

  5. #5sandcreek2011-04-29 23:51

    Thanks for the help!! I'm surprised that they would out perform a rubber track machine sidehilling

  6. #6LanceNE2011-05-01 11:09

    Had a Cat 262C with over tire Grouser tracks..... on steep hard clay or grassy slopes wanted to slide. It wasn't as stable a platform as our 287 or 297, but was alot (cannot emphasize that enough) lower cost to operate. Plus you have wheels when you need them!