One of my customers asked me about if they're a good machine overall but i have minimal knowledge of JD. He has a gravel pit and runs 2 349E, a 349F, a330D, and a 330C for now. All the 349s were bought new and the E's both had new engines put in under warranty around 5k hrs due to extreme oil consumption issues. I think he's a bit burnt out on that. He tells me there are a few ~2khr JD 470G he wants to look at that would probably be 1/2 the cost of a similar 349. I called a friend of mine that does quite a bit of work on JD machines and he told me that other that wiring issues, which most all JD hoes have, they are pretty solid. Also said the Isuzu is a little better engine but the JD engine is easier to get parts for. Any wisdom welcomed.
The 349 F is very solid, has 10% more horsepower, Is heavier and revs 200 Rpm lower than Deere at peak power. 349 F is the best machine hands down. I've done 6 months of extensive research and running them before I bought mine.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Deere- Tachi 470's though.. Very good machines.
Not sure about John Deere but Hitachi's are a war horse. But, for less money, you can have a Kobelco or Link Belt/Case
Around here the link belts are near the same price as Cat. All of the listed machines are really exceptional.