best way to determine overdrive ratio with a 13 spd` sitting on the bench? tag is skinned up to bad to read
I've done it before with a 9 speed by counting rotations with it in top gear. But a 13 would get a little more complicated with the air and the back box. All you should need is shop air to the regulator, and hooking up the shifter/air lines and you should be able to run it through the gears. Mark input shaft and output shaft and I always have to do it a couple times because I lose count. For me it helps if I've got one guy turning the front and I can count the rear, especially if he doesn't mind me counting out loud and holding out fingers. Unless "sitting on the bench" means "sitting on the bench in pieces" which would mean counting teeth or part #'s. And a good book or transmission guy.
its all together can air it up im thinking get in highest gear then count revs. output should give close guess. should be little less than 2 revs per 1 rev of input I think
Use a string or fishing line to wrap around one shaft while turning the other ten times, the string is easier than keeping track of two numbers. Or wrap one ten times then turn until it's unwrapped while counting the other.
I like to give it 10 turns just to average out any slop. There’s an online Eaton chart that shows all the top gear ratios. I’ve never heard of, or tried that string method. Learn something every day
RT's are 1.00 RTO's are 1.00-.87 RTLOA's are .86-.73 RTLOB's are 1.00-.85 * My so many Eaton 13spd experts. * One photo of back section and I can narrow it down real easy. It's easy to find straight through direct-1.00 input and output turn the same. So really only two choices for overdrive ratios. * If it's a RTLO-18913--A model direct will be in 7th over 1.00, 7th under is 1.17 so in 8th direct it's .86 in 8th over it's .73. one shaft will be turning slight less. Contrary to belief the RTLO18913A is really a double overdrive box RTLO18918B's are double overdrive boxes also. * And there you have it.
By the way I now have three perfect sets of external fuel lines for NH 220's and earlier, you were wanting some a ways back- if you still need them let me know, also have model 20 Jacobs housings for 220.
interested in both items . where in the world did you find the jake housings, I have a set of later model housings also 30b`s i think will have to look
14-6 is what im workin with rto so should be .87
With that type of air regulator, plus rear counter shaft bearing retainer covers and rounded style case more than likely RTO14613 .87 overdrive. But on the wildcard chance there was also the RTOO14613 which was a double overdrive, with the tallest final ratio of .62.
I have to look at them closer to make sure there three bolt cover type, An old guy that was in the logging business going back to early 50's has a 40' semi trailer with a bunch of odds and ends for old Cummins, I basically have the run of what ever, I pay him what he wants which isn't much.
This is the one I got from wash that's going back in.looks good through out this one also has a cooler pump
Could also be a 15713- it was the last of that series and was common with a pump.
Always nice working on top of the plywood. At least it doesn't look muddy.
not plywood frameless trailer wall panel. steel underneath no concrete yet
I wish i could say i never had to do that. At least you have a jack i used 2 come alongs back then.
I’ve got some thin sheets of steel 2’x8’. I like to put those on top of the plywood so the jack wheels don’t fall in and turn easily.
Wow! I could have used one set several years ago, Couldn't find any so I repaired the one I had. Wasn't easy.. Bet you could name your price on those.
I suppose you could use something like that but it sure would be a task in this case
It wasnt any fun but that wasnt the bad part of the last one i did out in the driveway. The truck i think had a 7 speed the owner was wanting to sell it and let someone test drive it . If i remember right they broke the main shaft in two. I had know the owner for years and thought he was ok. I hauled the truck to my place removed the transmission . It sat here for about 6 months the owner found a junkyard that had a transmission and wanted me to go get one and pay for it. I thought before he was a good guy but i was starting to see what he was and didnt want to get any money wrapped in this deal. Then one day a guy that buys junk told me he bought it . I was mad that the owner never gave me a chance to buy it or pay me for the work already done. The new owner wanted me to put a trans in it and ended up paying for the hole job.