Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Overhead vs skid fuel tank and pump question

Legdoc ยท 2021-01-12 12:09

Good day from S. Texas! My 500 gal overhead Diesel tank sprung a leak. I am going to purchase two new 500 gal tanks one for Diesel and one for ethanol free gas. Fuel Distributors are starting to resist filling overhead tanks from a ladder which I understand. That leaves me with having to pump the fuel. I will use less than 500 gallons of each per year unless I do a lot of fishing. While purchasing rotary hand pumps is no big ticket item I only want to do it once and have no tolerance for junk. I am reading very mixed reviews on Fill-Rite and GPI pumps. Members experience of these hand pumps and recommendations are appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1terex herder2021-01-12 20:10

    If you use less than 500 gallons per year you are buying to large of tanks. Gas and diesel get old, and the constantly changing atmospheric pressure causes the tank to breathe, drawing moisture into the tank. That is most likely why your last tank sprung a leak.

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-01-12 20:31

    A lot of new tanks are double wall. I believe pedestal mounted tanks are required to have a containment tray under them or a berm. A good filter is essential.

  3. #3crane operator2021-01-12 21:27

    My fuel distributor provides the tank and pump and containment. Provided I get the fuel from them. But I buy a little more fuel than that. I have both fill rite and GPI. I've rebuilt both and currently have a 12v GPI that just bit the dust. I don't find one really any better than the other. Are you doing 110v or 12v?

  4. #4Legdoc2021-01-12 22:31

    Hand pump.

  5. #5Tenwheeler2021-01-13 21:01

    While not attractive I bought these two 250 gallon tanks used 20 years ago. The bumper is a home made bumper on the front of a F600. Springs were removed and the frame rails are u bolted directly to the steer axle. Trailer tongue is welded to the front. I had water problems at times. Drilled holes in the back bottom of each tank and threaded for an 1/8 in plug. Do not blow yourself up and I am not sure tanks today are thick enough to thread. Have found I normally buy most of my water when it shows up. After filled I let them sit a few days and drain the water off the bottom if any. My diesel is electric pump and the gas is a push pull type pump. I believe it came with the tanks.