I thought I would start a thread I bet we could keep going to showcase ridiculous loads we see out there. Here is #1. Dually pickup towing what appears to be a full size or nearly full size school bus. It was going nearly highway speed downhill but slowed to a crawl up this small hill. Poor quality pictures grabbed by passenger, not enough road to get far enough away to get the full rig in the frame.
My contribution to this thread from this last summer. Yes.............I DID THIS!
I saw this one about 4 years ago. Very concerning
Holy ***** that's overloaded!
That's the problem with a diesel pickup and a goose neck-People trying to fly under the radar of CDL's, DOT, Licenses, Insurance. The way that is stopped is raise the dollar amount 25% for every pound the rig is over-plus a report sent to their insurance company so the insurance company can raise the rate by 50%. Stick it in and break it off.
I like the binder going over the cutting edge
Both combinations above would require a CDL anywhere in the US according to the Fed Rules - unless of course it was government then they exclude themselves from their rules. Both trailers look to be min 18K GVW hooked to a 9K+ GVW single axle and 13K+ dually - no getting under 26K GCWR.
That's a fact. Like around here you see it on side roads trying to stay low key, and most don't have proper paper work and are willing to gamble.
I'm betting he had no tonnage on that truck either. I can't say just how angry I'd be as a law enforcement officer, but my gut says they don't have nearly enough book to throw at them. They need way more book for things like this. Jail time, revocation, all that and more. I drive a SB 3500 Cummins powered truck myself, and 'friends' ask me if I would tow this or that. I set my limits lower than Ram does for my personal driving.
Looks like the sidewalls were rubbing the frame maybe.
The 924 loader weights 26000 LBS. Bob
How does the number system work on small wheel loaders like that? For reference, I know that 906 is 11k and 908 is 14k. Are the last two digits tip load in thousands of pounds? I would think metric tonnes would have to come in somewhere.
We were good on the weight
with wheel loaders and crawler loaders, there's no rhyme or reason connecting weight to model number.
Been a slew of ring tails caught around here, MoDOT has been running spot inspections and portable scales along MO19, US50 and MO100 for a few months, lay low a few days and resume. Tow company out of Washington MO and other at Montgomery City have been full up as to impound yard for a few weeks as fines have gotten really bad due to screw ups they find.
A JD 710 is about 26,000.
BV-post that accident that happened near you about 4 years ago involving a pickup/goose neck and a 710.
Jd 410 with extendahoe I have scale ticket that puts that model like that at 22 thousand plus pickup and trailer they are way over combined gvwr and a new model 710 with a cab is just shy of 29000 a friend broke his 15 ton tilt after a 710 on it every day for about a year busted frame
I don't have a "before" picture, but I've got the "after". This guy's shop is close to mine, drove by and saw this loaded up, said to my coworker - "he's going to dump that mess". Too much on not enough truck. Sure enough, a couple days later the main highway was shut down. He popped the hill be-bopping along, and the downhill corner was too much. Backhoe bucket busted through the deck, threw the whole works off, trailer hammered the truck bed. Backhoe, truck and trailer ended up in the oncoming lane and ditch, thankfully no one was coming.
Very lucky the stupid only hurt him. I suppose all in the effort to avoid having a CDL?
Looks good to me, I believe that's called {Over loading your ass}.
He has a semi tractor and had a single drop trailer with ramps. I'm guessing = "I don't need all that truck and trailer, etc. etc." Lazy or ignorance. Take your pick. He's a **** anyways. Thankfully no one else was involved.
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. You left out {dirty f@rt smeller}.
Sorry, I try to be nice most of the time, but sometimes things just get away from me.
How about a homemade tri- axle with trailer house axles?
That's Ok I know how it is. But there's nothing wrong with calling it what it is too.
That's easy what's that backhoe worth-obviously that backhoe isn't worth much if it was it would have a different trailer under it.
I cant understand why guys are so afraid of driving a real truck. Looks like the neck is bowing.
I can't understand why they are afraid to pick up the phone and call a hauling outfit. I'd rather be doing something useful with my time than cranking on my 8th binder, worrying if someone is going to jump out in front of me, worrying if a tire is going to pop, worrying if DOT is going to stop me, or worrying if my DPF is going to shut the engine down. Leave that hassle to someone else.
Stop assuming that they think far enough ahead to think of someone pulling out in front of them most of them are not scared they think there cutting the fat cat and that money they think there saving justifies the fancy pickup
If you did that stuff over here you would be off to to the gay conversion centre. (prison)
Some of this over here they should do the same. Personally I try not to overload stuff to bad because id just have more to fix then
Takes all kinds and most are just trying to be Cheap, no efficient but Cheap. Old guy that bought the Allis, 12 ton of tractor, at least 5 ton of parts and a spare bucket. Late 90s Chev Kodiak eight lug 19.5s, 3116 cat five speed single speed rear on juice brakes with a Class Four Receiver hitch pintle on a HOME MADE INSERT, pulling a 20t tag with electric brakes. Not bright or efficient, just determined Cheap. Only reason bought the Allis was Cheap, told NOT a Production Machine, a HOBBY FARMER Tractor, determined HAD TO HAVE. Now it sits broken in IA and he blames ME. Cannot fix Stupid or Cheap, it tends to itself. Just sadly at times takes out innocents' in the process.
I have seen some pictures from over there that would make some of us think twice about doing it but its not that hilly over there is it?
Yeah like road trains, talk about an overload! You wouldn't get one of those setups very far on this side of the state!
A bloke near here once had a Toyota Landcruiser 4wd trayback ute towing a big tandem box trailer with a standard tow bar hitch. The ute was unladen but the trailer had a stock crate with, not one, but two big mature Santa bulls aboard. Gravel road, went over a hump and trailer starts steering ute, snaps ball, ute rolls but no one hurt. The stock crate slides off the trailer taking the bulls with it. When the dust settles, the crate is upright in the middle of the road still with both bulls inside with hardly a scratch on them.
All too many are convinced here can tow a massive RV trailer with a mid size import car or a half ton pickup, not enough brakes, hp, frame or structure to control the trailer when gets in wind, storms or severe grade, all too many are reinforced as to that by unscrupulous sales persons who not only do not care what they put on the road but are not trained to know. See it time and again small pickup FOUR PEOPLE in the standard cab, towing a RV with a boat or added gear trailer behind that. Wanna be welders dreaming up some method to attach a hitch to a machine never intended for one setting on side of the road with a trailer on its side in the ditch and could have killed others by the errors. And do NOT get me started on the Truck Herders I have witnessed running at speed as tires shred on the trailer totally oblivious or as they get out of their machine at a fuel stop shove the trash BACK inside rather than discharge it to a close by trash can as that would demand extra effort, all manner of broken obvious to the passers by as to the machinery setting being fueled to get back on the road. Nephew had to go out and back a semi into his store dock as the driver could not even get it started down the ramp from the parking lot, said he felt needed a bleach shower afterwards. He has no CDL but has been taught by myself and his dad how to use mirrors.
Sooooo....yea.....OK.....that otta work Straps? Must be G70.
Seen a backhoe rolled over on a hill. Guy was pulling it with a 1 ton on a bumper pull trailer. He must've got the death-wobble. Truck was on its wheels but the trailer and backhoe were on their side. I'll give the guy credit, the backhoe was still attached securely to the trailer. Seen another where someone in a half-ton (yes, 1500 series ) jacknifed and wrecked while towing a large skid steer. Saw another stopped on the highway. 2500 Chevy towing a 10 or 12k lb telehandler! Pretty sure those weigh in at about 30-35k lbs!
I do not think nitwit above has near enough tongue weight, seems Front tires are still touching ground. Has it a Taste Far Forward on the Trailer!!! Enough to push thru a Intersection on acceleration!!
I don't have any pictures, but ended up overloaded for the conditions today. I hauled my JLG lift home while we had a clear, sunny day. Roads were all clear so I plowed my driveway again to get another layer off and exposing the dirt underneath. Then I headed to my dad's and loaded up my gooseneck. I have a fairly steep drive coming off the county road. I had my hubs engaged, swung wide to make as straight an entry as possible and clicked in 4x4. I got the entire rig off the road, and then proceeded to slide backwards until the tail of my trailer hit the shoulder pavement. Stuck and spinning out. I ended up removing my gooseneck ramps and unloaded lift onto roadway and drove it into my drive beside my struck. With the weight off, I could back up, and the get moving start up the hill and get to the top. Then I walked back down and drove the lift up with no problems. A much better plan would have been to park on shoulder of road and offload machine right from the start and drive it up. Truck still didn't like pulling empty gooseneck up the hill, but my tires are getting short on life left so that may have been most of my problem.
I wonder how much air he has in those back tires. I'm thinking every bit of sidewall plus some more.
and I'm back to this.
That looks a lot like Talbert’s attempt at platform trailer.
Here’s one I did 7-8 years ago. It weighed about 235k. Had it on a 250 Talbert trailer. As you can see didn’t even take all the camber out! Had to go to heat treat and there was no way you’d get a bigger setup in their crane way. Needless to say I was a bit overloaded.....
I would have thought the end with the head on it would be loaded toward the drives to get more weight up front there but not sure how much difference it would have made. Then again maybe it was too difficult to load it that direction due to crane configuration or something.
Here's a bit of an overload from 1983. Disclaimer: I did not haul this, I hauled the tender. My co-worker hauled the 2-6-2 from our fairgrounds in Santa Maria, CA to the depot (1 mile) to be loaded on a flatcar for Oregon. The 2-6-2 weighed around 60 tons, and the Beall 16 tire lowbed was legal with 54,000 on its group. As one can see, the center of gravity of the load was not to far forward of the axle group. It was a little overloaded but we did have a police escort..............
At that weight I had plenty on the drives lol. I don’t recall if it was an issue due to cranes or if I was trying to keep from overloading the truck to stupid levels. The trailer had 8 tired axles so we had plenty of capacity back there.
At least he has it STRAPPED down. I couldnt work were they sold straps i would be asking "what are you using for" then telling them what i realy thought.
Is that big truck a Hendrickson by any chance? The hood and nose look a lot like a Hendrickson.
I don't know about the overload part, but the tiedowns failed for sure. Happened today on one of the busiest highways in Dallas.
I bet that was a fun trailer just to check tire pressures on, let alone change tires. That would ruin your day.
Call in a rotator and just lift it back on the deck. No biggie...except maybe the bill. Wouldn't want to see how expensive that day became for that driver/operator.
No phony *** jamie davis rotator, Call a Crane company and have it done correctly along with a rather large bill. Thanks for the photo Mowingman--I like it.
Thanks. I have not heard who the trucking company is, but several of the heavy haulers are located close by my house. A few months back, one of them lost a big horizontal boring machine off a lowboy. It was right on a high overpass ramp in the, "high five", an area of tremendous traffic in Dallas. I hope this was not the same company. Jeff
It's always the best advertisement for a H Hauler to lose a load in the busiest part of a city, guaranteed to bring out the local news crew to film it.
Or just drop the neck, drive the dozer off, square it up and drive it back on again.......... simples
Love it! I don't think its over loaded. Looks like it will handle the load fine.
Until the street department hands you a bill for street repair from the tracks. Seen that.
Nige, I agree with the fix. The problem is, it happened on one of the busiest highways in Dallas. If even one lane closes for 5 minutes, the traffic will be backed up for hours. Jeff
That's good! 50% of those people were going no where anyway just like here.
Like to see it from the other direction. Reverse and a little creative steering and she might crawl right back up in to place.
Just throw a load of old tyres down like we used to do and run over the top of them. it was SOP for unloading/loading tracked gear on tarmac surfaces. Where there's a will there's always a way..........
Wouldn't you think that any sort of lifting gear brought to get the dozer back on the float would block up even more lanes than the one that's blocked already...?
Nige we don't want this to be cheap and quick do we?
Guy'll be getting a bill for road repair anyways from it falling off the trailer. May as well just get it back on yourself. At least it'd be quicker than waiting and still save on a crane bill.
Do you really think the guy driving the truck can operate the Cat---I seriously doubt it.
If my dumb ### can drive one into a shop bay without hitting anything I'm sure a truck driver can figure it out.
You are not a dumb ***. But most drivers are. Been around too many of them-that's what this thread is about dumb drivers over loading their rigs and their ***. That cat wasn't chained down right so I bet the driver is sharp as a marble.
that might be why it fell off. Some drivers are not all that and when you are hanging track it helps to be precise. I was working a hazmat cleanup gig on the light rail in Seattle, cleaning up old gas station spills. The Nelson lowboy driver had never jumped an excavator up on the side, and that was what was needed so I did it for him.
Mike, I can do quick and cheap just the same way that I can do easy......TBH I prefer it that way. Just needs a bit of logic applied to the problem. Logic that surely wasn’t there in the first place when the dozer was loaded.
I'm near certain the original post of this thread shows a Ford SuperDuty and it would be either an F350 or F450. That would make the GCWR with a gooseneck either 35,000 or 37,000 pounds. I'm willing to bet he is within those limits.
It probably has a head on the end with the base as well since it's a pressure vessel. Looks fairly thick by the width of the welds. Worked at a few shops that built vessels like that but never worked at the union shops that built the really big stuff. The largest I worked on was about 50 tons and 2-1/2" thick. This was moved here last last year along with 2 smaller vessels that barely made the news. The smaller ones were 725 Tonnes and 680 tonnes or thereabouts. Watch: Giant petrochemical vessel on a four-day move | Edmonton Journal About 30 years ago one of the coal mines/power plants bought 4 D10's. They must have been in a hurry to deliver the last one. There was a front page pic. of it in the newspaper. It was written off. They had the ripper tooth upside down and forgot to lower it before the driver headed out. Ripper tooth caught a bridge and the machine was stuck at about a 45 deg. angle under the bridge. I think they said the driver must have been going about 50 MPH. The trailer was wedged flat on the ground and I believe the 5th wheel was ripped off. Driver survived but had serious shock. Looking at the D10 you could see it was twisted pretty bad. Wouldn't have been fun trying to get it unstuck in a position like that. Wish I could find a pic. of it.
Everybody likes a load of firewood. Cedar is headed to sawmill.
Yea but what do the manufacturers know about ratings? They only test the vehicles to make sure they are safe with the weight. People on the internet know way more! Most of the pickups in thread are not overloaded per manufacturer ratings. Only one that is for sure is the loader.
Oh my.
Here is one I just saw on a Facebook group. No info as to where it came from. Jeff
I was trying to figure out where this should go, this thread works as good as any.
Novel idea I guess....although I think I'd be faster with a shovel!
Really needs to work on his welding and operating skills.
I bet he's not far out of tow rating. I don't know what the trailer is rated for, can't even see how many tires. I'd guess the bus weighs 14,000-15000, allow 6000 for trailer, 20000-21000
I think you are wrong. You failed to see what this is. This is a redneck camper. They are exempt from all sorts of regulations. No CDL needed. It has always driven me crazy. Some guy drives an econobox car to his desk job his whole career, then retires & buys a monster motor home. No CDL required. A farmer; No CDL required. A volunteer fireman; No CDL required, & some fool is driving 65 on a 30 MPH road with 5000 gallons of water 8' center of gravity above the pavement.
I don't know a lot about school buses but I think it weighs a lot more than that. The very slow speed he was dragging up that mild hill, or even on the flats with that combo, made me think otherwise as well.
My 410C with Ehoe weighs 17400
That gooseneck bends any farther, the jack foot is going to drag.
My friend now gone bought a Ford Golden Jubilee with a shop built backhoe. A rear differential housing was broken, so he didn't put the hoe back on when he repaired it. He had a 1950? Chevy tow truck he mounted the hoe on. It was about the time Don Imus the radio talk show host got in big trouble referring to a women's basketball team as "a bunch of nappy ho's" Cliff always said it was NOT his nappy hoe, it was his tow hoe.
that car mounted backhoe reminds me of the 'RED GREEN CADILLAC BACKHOE' but more robust, although i see a few durability issues
I watched a few seconds of that guy's latest video (where he makes "stabilizer legs" for the backhoe/Daewoo) - you ARE NOT kidding about his welding ability: I am no expert welder, but CRIKEY, this guy SUCKS at welding!!! I'm surprised that backhoe even held it together for the video!!!
Wow, he better not try to turn!
Gooseneck will turn fine, when that van slides off sideways will be a train wreck to watch!!
https://www.survivaltechshop.com/school-bus-weight/ The bus in Birken Vogt's first post on the first page that started this thread is a class C. Which has a weight range of 22,000 to 27,000 lbs. Sorry folks but BV's hunch is dead on.
Something very staggering in those figures. I'll put myself in the position of a bus contractor, a 13000 Lb empty bus will carry as many students as a 23000 LB empty. Fuel is expensive! The lighter bus might save $10000. in its life. I'll acknowledge a bigger bus carries more students, but I wonder if they are confusing unladen weight with GVW. Some of those buss loads of fat kids get pretty heavy.
I knew that would come up so I went to our local school district school bus garage and looked at two 2005 GMC class C buses. Unladen weight on both buses was 23,400.
I stand corrected. I'd have said they were similar chassis to my Top Kick. My empty truck with dump body is 13700, me in it. Neighbor planned a cross country trip long term. He bought a 6 year old bus for $3000. Its GVWR was 28000. I figured 10000 Lbs of people in that Gross vehicle weight.
Our Freightliner Cascadia tractors with steerable drop axle weighs 19,000. Then the driver loads another 500 lbs of crap in it.
A MCI 102 Coach weighs 35,500 empty-full load of passengers and baggage max GVWR 48,000.
And a MCI is primarily Aluminum over steel framing School buses are steel over steel Built like Brinks Trucks still need armored compartment for driver
I think alot of these people when they are looking at trailer GVW forget to take out the trailer weight, when I was looking at gooseneck trailers after you take out the weight of the trailer the carrying capacity really suffers. And if you are going to do this correctly, the gross combined weight rating of the truck needs to be factored in which if I remember for a new 3500 Ram is 30,000, It was 26k in 2012. However that 30k has to have the weight of the trailer and I believe the truck removed from it. I couldnt come up with a scenario with my 3500 and gooseneck that would haul and E70B at 17k.
Not to be contrary but the new 3500 rams gcwr is 37k if I am reading the body builder guide correctly... not that I am sayings it's a good idea to have a light duty truck going down the road at nearly 20 tons...
And requires a CDL
You easily could with any 3500 haul something that weights 17k. Most new 3500's are nearing 40k gross combined. Take out truck weight and left with about 30,000lbs towing depending on the specs. All trailer makers do it differently, many will plate a gooseneck with 2 10k axles at 25k, many do 20k. The thing to consider with many of these weights is a SRW 3500 with a rear end ratio with like 3.42 compared to a DRW 3500 with 4:10 other then 2 extra tires on the ground, the only difference is rear end ratio and heavier transmission. There is no added stopping or handling, aside from DRW but brakes are exactly the same. I had my 13 ram 3500 SRW gross combined hitting 35k sometimes, other then needing a much lower 1st gear, it's not bad at all. I've been back and forth on the idea of buying a 30k gooseneck to haul my mini ex and ctl together behind my 5500, I would be over 40k but it's not hard on the truck at all.
Those of us who drive air brake trucks see things a little differently. I've had electric brake controller problems, broken wires to one of the wheels, loose connections, mystery ground problems. I drive electric brakes too, but the difference is huge; 99 times out of 100 an air brake setup will not move at all if it has a problem. A 40K electric brake combo will always get going for you, but may not be so interested in stopping and now the tractor alone is braking, and is outweighed 3 to 1. When everything is new and fresh there are usually no issues, but put a few years on things and it is not so sure.
2012 Ram 3500 GCVWR 30,000- 8k truck weight= 22k, minus trailer weight of 5,800 lbs (big tex 22gn) = 16,200. (Best Case Scenario) for 2012 My Truck is a 4wd Manual Transmission which kills the GCVWR. Most people dont know about GCVWR, forget looking for them and that they are different for different trucks, it has dual wheels it can carry anything that hooks to the bumper. Now maybe it comes from being a Truck and Equipment Mechanic for 25 years, but this doesnt add up to me, yes it can pull it, but coming from trucks I agree with the electric brake comment earlier. My math: Tandem Western Star, 20ton tag, Class A CDL. All bases covered.
Valentines Day 2020 with a heavy load?. Breakdown in the middle of the Dalton Hwy? No prob. We’ll just plow around you and get the fuel to Deadhorse anyways. Sucks to be you.
Need to haul some heating fuel and all you have is a Subaru? Juneau, AK Fred Meyer gas station. Very resourceful. Keep it under 119 gallons & no placard required. Good thinking!
What could go wrong? Like the Shorts Skyvan that went straight up then straight down at Bethel Alaska when the barrels rolled back and took it way out of C.G. http://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-short-sc7-skyvan-3a-variant-200-bethel-1-killed
I was not familiar with N20086. RIP Mr. Pilot.
I think I was up there for the day the year after that crash. we popped out from Anchorage to drop a few resumes and look around. It was part of a 6 day Alaska tour in the C310.
Here I am, packing up my game and heading out West. Just like Kid Rock. With ol’e N754KP at the Haines airport. My freight is on the RH cart.
dang LOL we were there too on that trip. Most memorable leg of the whole thing IMO. We popped up out of Haines and flew right over the Range to the west, through the glaciered valleys and then down to Yakutat. It was beautiful late summer weather. Descending into Yakutat was a challenge, a layer of scattered to broken eagles at 2500 AGL. I got some dirty looks from the dirty birds as we picked our way down to pattern altitude.
Lol. I like YAK. I’ll have to dig up some work photos. AK Airlines just bagged a brown bear during landing with an engine cowling on a 737.
Back then YAK had a staffed FAA Flight Service Station in the old tower. The ladies that worked there were so nice, they had a big bowl of peanut M&Ms on the counter for us transient pilots to snack on. They talked about the bears and gave is a weather briefing for the short flight to Merrill Field, Anchorage. They ran to Anchorage to Costco to get groceries and M&M's
LOL works on perfectly flat ground! You'd need a jack tender to run with you to crank them up and down as needed.
Looks like a storage trailer that had no axles under it. They probably jacked it up and threw a couple axles under it for a short, low speed, low budget move. Some one used their head.
Cheaper than a tow.
To me it looks a bit like a tandem axle trailer that has had the rear axle removed, probably for use as a storage trailer as OIH mentioned. I salute their ingenuity.
Looking closer... the landing gear is on a car tow dolly. And is missing the ICC bar on the rear. Not a road worthy trailer ... Cheap move
Every day I bend a knee and bow my head and give thanks most of my career was before cell phone cameras.
Not my picture, stolen from FB.
"If it fits, it ships!"
Amatuers. Load the dump truck upside down, and it will likely be right side up after the wreck.
That truck is not overloaded, it just has one of those suspension kits installed that seem to be popular in the East where it drops the rear.
You people are so critical!
Now this how to haul a dump truck: Edit to add: Look close. It's yellow...
LOL! One time I was tasked with bringing back a dump truck and equipment trailer from a job we had wrapped up. I took the GLC and brought it back on the trailer. It looked silly on there
I was cleaning up a place and this was the last thing there i didnt realize how long it was I lifted one end raised the bed and backed under it. Thats when i realised what was what. I had to lift on the front to get the bed down. It looked lite on the front axle i drove it around in a field it drove ok. It was early sunday morning 14 miles from home. I went slow didnt fill bad at all. I was at the gravel to the farm a mile to go turned on the turn signal look in the mirror oh no there was a H P behind me. No way he would ignore me but when i turned he went on thats when i saw it was a buddy in his ex cop car.
how much you betting the brakes on the trailer don`t work? not that it would make a difference
I'm thinkin' there is a good chance of the trailer blowing 4 tires. A shame it is not a hot Summer day , increase odds of tire faiure.
How much betting there are brakes at all on that trailer!!! Also figuring the tires are five or six lug rim, car second hand 15" take off tires.
I have saw so many loads that didnt look like they could make it any were but they did i wouldnt bet one way or the other that he got the dump truck were he was going. Years ago 2 miles from me they had a auction he had some steam engines . One was bought buy a older guy from c Colorado it weighed around 20.000 .The guy hauled it home and called when he got home to tell he had made it ok. He had a 1969 c10 1/2 Chevy with a home made trailer house trailer axles. There was a guy i got to know before he passed that moved here from arizona. He had a 1977 F350 4speed with some kind of 2 speed box. It had air brakes for trailers. He had a machine shop,a D5,a small IH TD ? and a 45" trailer full of bolts and hardware. I never got to talk to him about moving here but he told me he grossed around 40.000 on several trips. The down fall of using this f350 was its 4 speed i cleaned up his scrap and he had a pile of junk ones.It seems funny that he used the f350 because he had the money to buy a bigger truck was a very good mechanic and had worked as a truck driver.
some can do it with less` most cannot
dang that crane just got eaten!!
I wonder if the backhoe bucket is chained to the gooseneck? There's a ticket for each attachment not chained down, front and rear.
2019 liebherr 1160. 700 hours or so on the clock. Looks like they had all the counterweight on, so there's around 250,000lbs there on 5 axles. (132,000lbs of crane with 120,000lbs of counterweight). Most guys dump off some of the weights before moving, but the book will tell you what configurations are allowed. Looks like that one was boom over rear at 30 degrees when they found a void under the pavement.
I don't think the counterweight was to blame. That void was just waiting for something heavy to eat.
Yeah your right, as long as these are still shots. Driving and taking photos or videos is as dumb as the subject in the photo or video.
Used to have site inspectors for Crane use IIRC, checked on such things prior to crane movements. As to the Hoe, WOW.
The wheels on the trailer look like they aren't on the same plane. I can't tell if that is a 310 or 410. At least 14000, maybe 16000
The hoe bucket over the bed of the truck is an interesting touch.
The other day when I saw that Ness-Campbell crane house on the flatbed, I was merging onto I-5 next to it. I really wish i had a dash camera hooked up to the new head unit I installed in the dump truck. I will have to get one soon. That is the easy button!
Lytx.
I looked into that, thanks. The head unit has an input for a front cam, so I will roll-my-own with android app, it is an android head unit.
Two hd5 allis dozers
It's a Big Tex trailer. If it fits, it ships!
I might live under a rock and don't get out much but all of these pictures would get you locked up here in Queensland.
Not Mick Dundee!
Trailer is ALMOST rated for what is on it, truck is FAR from what is behind it with the two HD5s, close to 12k Each.
Here is better view of it. At least the front tires on the truck are still on the ground. It appears to have a welder in the truck bed to !
Looks like it may have Rickson 19.5 wheels
Damage Free Towing
I like the crane pic. Have seen that before in residential. Another regular event is roofing companies think a boom truck would be ideal and it has a life expectancy of about 2 weeks before its broke off from full pallet of shingles.
220 ton from my old employer The rotating element of the main generator
Otherwise known as test load of bridge
From Reform MO to New Florence MO. three highway bridges and a Interstate State Hwy overpass. MO94 to Loutre then N on MO 19
My first "crane" was a auto frame from a Rickenbacker auto I rigged to a 1936 Dodge ton & a half. All functions were come along powered.
That makes it even worse! Looks like normal 17-18" wheels. The tires don't look right for 19.5's which usually have a pretty square profile and unique look.
I am paraphrasing a story from a friend on another forum. He was hauling 3 vans on a long wedge trailer with a first Gen Dodge 1 ton 2wd. Classic hotshot setup of the day. Downhill on one of the I-5 grades, hit a some debris that stripped the brake wires off both backing plates. It quickly turned into that runaway we all worry about, and only a savvy truck driver who got in front of him and slowed him down saved the day. After he got off the road the local shop took the truck and did a complete brake job with drums rotors and bearings, master and slaves, everything was toasted.
The only thing cool about this picture is that the front crawler has a Baker dozer on it.
A chain come along on the rear should hold it on, where's it going to go?
I'm perversely pleased when an informed cop pulls this rig over. I'm not sure he is overloaded, An early John Deer, like a 310, but not that modern. I'll guess 13000 LB tractor. 4 tires on the trailer, that's at least a full load. The truck is riding low in the water, about half the trailer/ tractor is on the truck. Trailer might be overloaded, truck certainly is, but the securement ensures several counts of violation. I'm sure this fellow has his CDL also.
A chain come along makes tying things down so much easier than using those old fashioned binders
I don't see any chain on the front, but those stakes will surely hold it from moving left, right, or forward too far.
:facepalm: I chain: Front axles forward. Front bucket to deck. Left and right binders to rear hoe frame. backhoe bucket to deck. And ......they always loosen up. Backhoes are a PITA that way. Last one I picked up in Eastern Washington and brought over to Sumner, I stopped 3 times before I was satisfied it had settled down. The excavators you stop once and then check it but it never needs any more actual tightening.
You boys get far too paranoid about chains & binders for my liking........
LOL that poor trailer!
I was more curious about the boom left up in the air that would be real close to an over height and its definitely going to raise the center of gravity a lot
It’s only a 390.........
LOL again the goofy cat Nomenclature. that's a 9 meelion!
I bet that 390 gets easier to load each time as the trailer frame bends more. Baffles me they wouldn't at least block to the frame to prevent it from twisting so bad.
That is what I was thinking too. you could block and shim it, then just swing the machine one way and the other to take the blocks out.
Yes but if you load from opposite sides for each successive trip then the trailer chassis should twist back straight again on every 2nd load..... Watching the way they walked it on and off over the side it obviously wasn’t their first rodeo.
Pfft. A rodeo is walking a 200 class on and then spinning it 90 with a hoe pack you can't lean on too hard. In Seattle on a busy street The wet-behind-the-ears lowboy driver asked me pretty please would I do this for him
That was the 1st thing I noticed. Operator was very gentle. Maybe HE owned the trailer?
From this and all their other videos I get the impression that the older guy with the beer gut who’s giving the directions is the boss.
Did you miss that this move was done from one location on a mine site to another. Did you notice how many conveyors they had to go under.? I would imagine that’s why they loaded over the side and also why there was not a chain or a binder in sight.
I think AzIron was talking about the 310 upthread. They used the boom lock instead of chaining it.
Ooooooops. Sorry, my bad.
that's what I get for not taging my reply to a post As far as the 390 goes we did that with a 20 ton on our lowboy once on a job because it was mile and a half to where it was need ground was to uneven to drop and rehook
Here's a good one
That's a pretty common way of moving big iron on a mine site. The big coal mine down by Chehalis even made a trailer and moved their rope shovels like that.
They don't deserve that trailer!
Saw one last week wish I could’ve gotten a picture it was a dodge caravan early 2000s model pulling an older 36 ft bumper pull travel trailer doing about 45 down i55 and the rear bumper and hitch hitting the road on every bump
I bet no mirror extensions either. That one gets me, some guy with a wide boat and no mirrors on an SUV, trying to cross over 4 lane of freeway.
Maybe not as bad as a Dodge using three lanes with no trailer in tow. Do the mirrors have to extend three feet each side of the truck when not towing. If your Pe*() is big enough, you don't need dodge mirrors.
I have those mirrors on my truck and we call those Dumbos when they come down the road folded out with no trailer. When I get where we are towing to, I fold those things back in ASAP!
Well while we're talking campers, this guy's safety chain saved their bacon: https://www.ky3.com/2021/03/16/rescuers-save-2-from-pickup-dangling-over-deep-idaho-gorge/
Those folks hanging off the bridge should first, get new underwear, then go buy lottery tickets. But the RV'ers don't need a CDL As for the big move Kinda like, it's my excavator, my truck, my trailer, my road, my property, so mind your own business and kiss my arze if you don't like like it
waste of time to air the tires up
happening right now. about a mile from me there is a big high wheel spray rig with 40 foot booms on each side stuck buried to the axles in a field about 20 feet in front of him is a local tow co all wheel drive wrecker also buried to the axles. they were unloading a ctl as i passed. I expect that will be stuck also shortly
I'm sure you all have seen this one but it's still a good one
I put a 5th wheel hitch for sale on Craigslist, and when asked to deliver I ran it up there. I would not install it so I sent him to a reputable shop. The buyer was a foreign fellow who spoke english only by using his phone to translate. He had a smaller 5th wheel that he had brought up from California by using a gooseneck adapter to a bumper hitch ball. :facepalm: He gets the hitch work done and asked for some help getting that adapter off. I help him remove the adapter and get him set up, then look in the cab. No brake controller. Too old to have the integrated one, so yes, no brakes all the way from California to Washington. I explained to him that he needed a brake controller, and sent him back to Ballew's in Tacoma after priming them over the phone. In truth, they should have caught that. He texts me after he has headed south that he is not sure the brake controller is working, and I talked him through that too. In for a penny, or no good deed goes unpunished. I hear back from him after he got down there that he and his sons made it safe and sound, and he was grateful for my help and that it towed so much better. YOu're all welcome
Some more
That's pushing it for a real truck I am actually surprised the trailer looks that good
Borrowed from a different site
Been there, done that. The best solution is a track hoe with crane mats. Its not about getting it out of the mud, that parts easy. Its about getting it out of the mud and not require any repairs that makes it difficult.
I just hate it when that happens to me. If the driver died, it'd be a tragedy. Living, means facing a jeering crowd.
they got it out` site looks terrible but i did`nt see any leftover pieces
Been there, done that. Took two 50k lb track tractors, and me digging out around the wheels numerous times, but it came out in one piece.
I never want to experience another fall or spring like 19-20 again. Ever.
I can certainly understand that thought
Here's a video of the Liebherr Orion I hook failure... The ultimate overload. 5000 ton test load. Side view of the lift.
Not a overload but a overload in the shorts. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/16/pickup-truck-bridge-dangle-rescue-trailer-idaho
Yeah but they never got anywhere near the test load value of 5500 tonnes. IIRC the hook assembly failed at just 2600 tonnes. Apparently the crane is being rebuilt with the intention of delivering it to the customer late this year.
Shimmy1; I hit the like for the pictures. Certainly not for the dilemma you were in. Was the header damaged ?
This looks like it might be the one at about 38mile on the Richardson. Snow slide. Southbound.
You are correct. That was the Richardson. Do you recall who’s rig that was? Oh’ and hey. Welcome to the HEF! Good to see another Alaskan.
Thanks! Wasn't sure about making a comment. If I recall correctly, it was one of the local company B Trains. Guess one never knows when a slide will happen, just poor luck sometimes. That area has had a few slides over the years. Road was closed at about 46 mile while DOT cleared a trail to get us by. Glad to be able to read the site, very good information and history. Over the years (probably starting in the early '70s?) I spent much time with various equipment,trucks, and marine equipment.
Well its not loaded up, but a f-150 short bed with the inline six at 18,000lbs might be a handful.
Obviously a very safety oriented junk man with the light bar, 2 traffic cones, 6x6 wheel stop and all.
I wonder if the truck next to it is a lawn ornament, or their big truck, for big jobs. Only looks to be about 65 years old. Jeff
I wonder what the early 50's truck beside it is rated for?
Since the 150 is truck #2 that's obviously truck #1 which built his junk empire, with a 108,000 GVW. That '51 built that conglomerate to what it is today.
Not that much. I can't see enough. 8600 would have been a 1 ton.
BOTH trucks straight six gas, the bigger green GM most likely has a four speed but doubt a two speed rear and on only slightly larger diameter rubber. Size does matter but can also be impressively lacking for capability.
Like the Power Wagon, it ain't all engine size. Takes longer to get there, but gets the job done. A bit too much accessorizing for my taste. The old GM I'll guess is dually, likely under 10,000 GVWR. My junk is usually bulky, not heavy. Last load I hauled was over 10 cubic yard, only 2.5 tons. Now fat Allis would have been a different story.
Well here's a picture of the big truck, you'll also note that its unit #1. The f-150 is for sale, the ad was where I saw the big GVW, but the slave cylinder on the clutch is out, so you need to be prepared for a little work. I saw another pickup on their site, with the number "8" on it, so you're right CM1995- he's got quite the empire going. The old truck looks like its had a recent paint job. Its all set up with cones and yellow lights too.
Did a little more looking on their site, there's a different truck also listed as #2, so there's some creative accounting going on in the truck numbering department.
Maybe that's the old truck 2, before is got all used up and wore out from the massive amounts of junk hauling.
Makes my operation seem kind of small.I can see why he has all the lettering on his fleet i have some one all the time saying they didnt know what to do with their junk.
These are not necessarily over loads but several comments were made that farmer has the run of the road/right away when moving tractors and such on public roads. I did a little checking on that in this state-Uh no they don't have the right away here. Required to have a over width or wide load sign and a amber beacon plus pilot cars. Plus they cannot back up traffic-they have to pull over although not really enforced. Below are some fine examples of a few farmers thinking they have total right away.
Trains scare me, it is an appropriate response. On the water, power is supposed to yield to sail and it leads to some really hairy moments when a sailor keeps on into the path of a freighter or state ferry. Some common sense is in order. Look both ways twice at the tracks, and stay out of the way of the really heavy players because they won't even feel you go under.
Oh I cleaned up a train/truck wreck when I was towing-shot that worthless 8V-71 down the track a fair distance-put a chain on it and drug it's sorry *** along side the tracks back to the crossing. Hoisted it and dumped in the scrap truck.
Incorrect on rule of the water Larger vessel is less able to maneuver, smaller vessels Must yield fo the larger.
Only rule I know that's accurate-boats burn to the water line.
you would knot know it from riding on a state ferry. I have seen some astounding near misses. Caution language what an appropriate name for the boat, Nap Tyme. Autopilot plus a trip to the head?
When I was a sailor, sail always had the right of way over power. After that might makes right.
Saw that in 2010 as a sailboat cut across the bow of a Seattle bound ferry from Bainbridge Three solid horn blasts, not only warning but collision alarm, as the idiot slipped by. Sail can turn and cut away, large power would take massive water just to get the mass slowed down, need these morons licensed to operate as much as any.
I had a 75 HP outboard. used 6 gallon carry tanks. Out on Lake Champlain one day I was full steam when I ran dry in one tank. I drifted into the path of the Charlotte/Essex cable ferry. Some panic moments getting primed the the fresh tank. Cable connects to the ferry right at water line, so anything near 100 yards is NOT where you want to be. I backed away to keep the prop away from the cable. It was way too close!
Question-Float plane on take off or landing who has the right away?
That one do not know Either can abort but once past point of Rotate no return on runway water or solid either take off or run off the runway as cannot stop. ATC would be in charge or the runway director at small fields.
LOL there is no ATC involved on a lake where you can play with boats. There are float ponds at places like Merrill Field in Anchorage and at Juneau. Those are under control of the tower, but no boats there. We ( floatplanes ) are always tasked with 'see and avoid', but we do get some cooperation from the boating crowd. A weekend day on Lake Union can be a nightmare, but the nice thing is, a float plane comes to a halt very quickly. You pick your hole and get on down. Sometimes you go around. It is the takeoff that is a bugger and boaters are supposed to leave us a runway, but there is no education consistency in that regard.
Again Those morons should require operating license with testing.
I asked Mrs. Digger (retired ATC), and her initial response was "Whoever ATC has given the clearance to, if it's in controlled airspace." She couldn't quite recall the specifics foe uncontrolled airspace, and I think that bugged her, enough that she had to go look it up: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.115#:~:text=(a) General.,any rule of this section. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- § 91.115 Right-of-way rules: Water operations. (a) General. Each person operating an aircraft on the water shall, insofar as possible, keep clear of all vessels and avoid impeding their navigation, and shall give way to any vessel or other aircraft that is given the right-of-way by any rule of this section. (b) Crossing. When aircraft , or an aircraft and a vessel, are on crossing courses, the aircraft or vessel to the other's right has the right-of-way. (c) Approaching head-on. When aircraft , or an aircraft and a vessel, are approaching head-on, or nearly so, each shall alter its course to the right to keep well clear. (d) Overtaking. Each aircraft or vessel that is being overtaken has the right-of-way, and the one overtaking shall alter course to keep well clear. (e) Special circumstances. When aircraft , or an aircraft and a vessel, approach so as to involve risk of collision, each aircraft or vessel shall proceed with careful regard to existing circumstances, including the limitations of the respective craft. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BTW, there are controlled airspaces where aircraft and boats might share the same water. Boston, for instance, where the Class Bravo covers the harbor.
Thanks SK. I was visiting my brother on Mercer Is in early 80's and he had a retired Dr. associate take us up in his float plane on Lake Washington. He was a pretty experienced pilot. Flew B17 in WWII and never stopped piloting after. Anyway a boat that was traveling south decided to cut across in front of us on take off. There was room but it was a large boat leaving one hell of a wake. We were almost to lift when we hit the first roller. All I can say is the pilot was not happy.
That is not a thing. The class bravo is ATC's purview when airborne, but the boats are not. ATC is not boat traffic control.
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that. Sorry for being unclear on that. But a floatplane taking off from the water needs to get clearance from the tower, because the innermost ring of the Bravo airspace goes all the way to the surface. The pilot is the one responsible for not hitting the boats. The ATC phraseology is something like "Are you able to depart on a heading of (XXX) and maintain your own obstacle and obstruction clearance?"
I find that a little strange because a boat can turn and divert quicker than a plane-but I realize the guy piloting the boat is working with other factors. Like he has probably slammed a six pack or two.
I'm a commercial instrument pilot. The catchall for everything I mentioned above. "see and avoid". Once you are out of mast height the heading instruction becomes a non-issue, and ATC really doesn't care as long as you don't bust the ceiling the set for you within the Class B. It's more like "Cessna 9506X, squawk 5432, cleared for the east sound departure at or below XXXX feet, contact departure control on 132.4" The departure would be a published procedure. That altitude is the thing. if you bust XXXX then you are now messing with the big boys. They carve out spaces within the B for VFR ops. In Seattle, we did the Vashon Transition @1500 right across the arrival runway numbers at Sea-Tac. It was the safest place to be. Landing planes passed well below and aircraft taking off were also safely separated. It made sense to get GA aircraft across quickly, rather than all these east and west bound planes getting wedged into bottlenecks below the first layer of cake and the next chunk of controlled airspace north and south. Those were dangerous places, not enough room for proper VFR altitude separation.
The boaters operate in two dimensions. Often they never see us as we pass over with the throttle pulled back to idle to land beyond them.
Knew some guys that were on Jet Ski's on a lake close to my property. A major forest fire went through and there were 4 Air Tractors scooping water off the lake. Everybody on the lake got out of the way. I was watering things down and could wave to the pilots as they were less than 200ft. altitude. I think they were low to stay under the smoke. Pretty cool though seeing the full roll cage in a plane. There were a couple larger water bombers dropping foam and a small plane circling that I believe was the guide plane that instructed all the planes where to go. Who would be at fault if there were an accident on the lake in an emergency situation like this? Air Tractor | Aircraft
Not much ATC in Alaska in a float plane once you get past the airports. Seems to be a lot less issue with boats on take off and landing. I've flown south out of Ketchikan once or twice where the water is shared with everything from a row boat to a luxury cruise ship. The float planes just seem to squeeze in wherever possible.
They don't use water scoopers here much, not enough open water and does not really do what is needed (build permanent line which is what chemical retardant does) but when on a fire, you can get anything you need, if it make sense. So if vessel traffic was a big problem they would probably get the sheriff and/or state parks to send boats out onto the lake and close off a lane of some kind for aircraft to use. In reality, air ops are so fleeting that it would seldom be worthwhile to go to all this trouble. Fires move on to other locations, die down on their own, smoke makes it too dangerous to fly, or the aircraft is needed on some other fire. Aircraft are expensive to run, and there are not many to go around, so they are prioritized to new fires to try to keep them small. This means they bounce all over the state or country in the course of a day.
The FAA creates TFRs (temporary flight restrictions) for firefighting operations, to keep planes from either wandering through or lookie-lou checking out the fires. it is the same for presidential visits.
This showed up on FB today.
The car behind is fixing stupid!
Why would you post that in a thread about seaplane operations?
Hey at least he put a blanket down under the fridge to protect the paintwork.
Aaah overload of the day? Bob
Stupid is forever. It's ignorance that's curable. In this case it's stupid AND lazy. Didn't take off magnets or thing under the strap. I doubt the white board is fastened either (but it could be).
[QUOTE="skyking1, post: In Seattle, we did the Vashon Transition @1500 right across the arrival runway numbers at Sea-Tac. It was the safest place to be. Landing planes passed well below and aircraft taking off were also safely separated. It made sense to get GA aircraft across quickly, rather than all these east and west bound planes getting wedged into bottlenecks below the first layer of cake and the next chunk of controlled airspace north and south. Those were dangerous places, not enough room for proper VFR altitude separation.[/QUOTE] We routinely flew Flying Cranes north-south across Atlanta's (ATL) east-west runways while talking only with ATL ground. Assume the unit's still doing that with Chinooks.
Wonder if they checked to see if it's full of beer?
Skid Loader on a trailer, pickup didn't fare too well
As long as no one was injured-------- .
Well secured to the trailer or extremely lucky. On second thought... not so lucky, the truck is trashed.
What happened there, truck rolled and skid steer stayed upright,?
LOL skidsteer won that battle of stupid.
The news article doesn't make a lot of sense. Tire blows out, machinery leaves trailer. Another car runs over the tire on the road, and the tire also hits another car? "SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (KY3) - An unusual crash slowed rush-traffic in east Springfield Thursday morning. The crash happened around 7:30 a.m. on U.S. 65 and Sunshine Street. Investigators say a truck hauling a piece of machinery had a tire blow out. The truck crashed into the median. The driver lost the piece of machinery from a trailer. A second vehicle rolled over a tire. The same tire then hit the windshield of a third driver’s car. The driver of the truck and the driver of the third vehicle suffered minor injuries. Crews closed two lanes of traffic for about an hour." https://www.ky3.com/2021/06/10/unusual-crash-slows-traffic-during-rush-hour-east-springfield/ Machinery (skid loader) looks to me like it stayed right with the trailer, but that doesn't mean other items from the trailer weren't randomly scattering themselves all over the road. Which could be what other people hit- or the reporter has no idea what happened. Right during morning rush hour-it made a mess.
Almost sounds like the trailer came unhitched and the truck crashed and another vehicle hit the tire remnants sending the tire into another windshield? Not uncommon for the news reporters to not have a clue what happened or jumble it up so much it doesn't sense.
That's bad people got injured.
Wednesday afternoon at 1:00? Route 7, a highway unimproved since 1955 through a tiny village had a disaster where nobody got hurt. Driver of a single axle road tractor towing a 12 x 60 office trailer unescorted claims he fell asleep. We Americans talk in euphemisms. A shelter calls it a "Lab Mix" it is a purebred Pit Bull. "Fell asleep" really means texting. The driver hit a guard rail, overcorrected & jackknifed. He spread trailer over 300 yards of road, backed up traffic 6 hours. They brought in two excavators with thumbs to load the wreckage into roll off boxes. Not really an overload, more a cautionary tale.
And I'll add this to your point Willie B. This happened around this time last year. Driver who a$$holed our truck in a accident zone with red lights and blues flashing. Four minutes before he hit our truck he was texting and then on the phone just before impact. Our driver didn't get hurt, driver who hit our truck injured, our trailer total loss, his truck total loss. Now imagine had he not hit our rig and what would have happened as he flew through the accident scene at 60 plus. In the end it was good I guess he hit our trailer in sacrifice to save others involved in the wreck scene that already took place. STAY OFF THE PHONE WHILE DRIVING-Please.
I remember years ago on the news, there was a kid who crossed the centerline and hit an oncoming car killing 3 people if I recall. When questioned he responded, "I was texting" as if it was some kind of legitimate excuse. Official response should have been, "You can text all you want behind bars for the rest of your life"! Unfortunately see it all too often. Someone calling at a red light and then using blue tooth while driving is one thing but no blue tooth while driving they should take a lot of demerits away along with hefty fines so these idiots lose their license. Texting while driving should have twice the consequences! On the other hand the laws are getting a little stupid. I was listening to the radio while a woman called in. She got a ticket for distracted driving (in a police check zone) because her phone was plugged in sitting on the center console of her car. Having a phone charging in the factory charging port should not automatically constitute distracted driving. If that were the case every car maker should be charged for putting the increasingly big display screens in cars. Another woman called in and said she got a distracted driving ticket for having a McDonalds coffee in her hand. Are they going to charge every drive through for giving people something to drink in their car? It's just insane! They need the photo camera's simultaneously taking pics. inside the car while another one gets the license plate. That would be better than the photo radar cash cow.
Anyone using a phone for any purpose while driving should be stood against a wall and shot IMHO. Amazingly there are still apparently states where it is not even against the law to use a phone while driving. That was certainly the case the last time I was in FL but things may have changed since then. I’m afraid I can’t figure out the logic behind that one.
Most new vehicles have built in bluetooth so you don't have to look at or hold your phone. There are still a lot of times when just talking can be a distraction. There has to be some common sense but it is severely lacking for some.
Nige I agree-but the problem is you would end up wiping out 80 plus percent of the U.S. population. Just yesterday the guy who delivers oil to the shop sat in my office complaining about people driving while using a cell. He left. Half an hour later I had to run to the parts store and guess who I see driving through a intersection yapping on his cell phone. The law is for everyone else here in the states, hypocrites.
Was following a freight tractor trailer at about five miles an hour in rush hour traffic. Right lane of three interstate highway going up the earth embankment prior to the bridge deck. Truck starts veering right. Once all right tractor wheels roll off the shoulder and the tractor leans hard right the brake lights come on. The combo goes over in slow motion. I pull over in front of him. Find him laying on the passenger door windshield already partially out and coolant spewing in. Shut the engine down, pulled windshield the rest of the way out and helped him out. Got blankets and wrapped him up. Paramedics gave me my blanket back and mentioned the cleanup crew might have a grand party. There were a couple dozen or more beer kegs at the bottom of the embankment.
In Australia it’s not hard to gain an endorsement on your license to drive a single axle truck up to 16 tonnes GVM to carry your skid steer, excavator etc plus a trailer. This gives you access to a solidly built truck with air brakes. It seems bizarre and dangerous to use pickup trucks with relatively minimal load capacity towing ridiculously long gooseneck trailers relying on electric brakes in an emergency. This combined with stupid drivers will no doubt keep this thread going forever. Australia seems to be fortunate to enable easier use of proper heavy duty trucks to contractors in the construction industry to the point many builders, plumbers, landscapers etc can and do use them. Don’t know why in the US and Europe there is not more lobbying to make safer heavy duty trucks easier to use for smaller contractors.
I won't disagree with this even though I'm guilty on occasion myself, however my whinge is why is it illegal to talk on your phone will driving but perfectly OK to talk for as long as you like on a UHF radio while driving? I really can't see any difference, apart from the fact that not many idiots have UHF's, therefore less accidents involving talking on them. Wouldn't it be better not to give idiots a drivers licence in the first place and cut the rest of us a little slack? Texting, a different story.
Many years ago we used to install Motorola analog bag phones under the seat, on the dashboard, permanent antenna through the roof of many trucks and cars. Mircophone on the A pillar and speaker under the dash so the driver could yak while driving. It was thought of as safety, since they did not have to hold the wired handset to their head while attempting to drive.
Not an "Overload of the day" more like an UNload of the day. Birken, you may remember this, SB 49 just south of Dorsey Dr. almost 4 years ago. I took the pic offen the local news site. I think the pintle hitch didnt get latched on the dump truck (out of view) and as he topped the hill and started down, it popped up and off. But who knows...
Apparently my former neighbor who does demolition had a mishap with a bin. I didn't see it but it sounds plausible. He purchased the largest bin hauler in the city from a company that was going under or shutting down. It was a semi trailer and carried 60yd. bins. I helped change the controls over to a different truck. The bin itself loaded the same way as self contained trucks with bins. Used a big hyd. cylinder to pull a big steel loop that hooked on the bins. A spring underneath held the steel loop up. Stopped at a red light on the hwy. it turned green. He started off but the bin stayed behind blocking that lane. The spring broke and the loop fell down so there was nothing holding the bin. It was just sitting on the rails. I think he thought he would have a big advantage because he could just keep a truck exchanging bins and the driver wouldn't have to wait to get loaded or even get out of the cab. He uses 80yd. demo bins now. I think the biggest problem is the roll off bins can't carry near the weight of a conventional end dump. Weight is limited to what the hyd's. can pull up and the tilting trailer itself is heavier. The bins aren't built nearly as heavy/strong either.
I don't really remember it and I don't remember seeing that picture but what I thought I remembered was an excavator hitting the bridge? That unit does not look tall enough to hit it though. Although that is a pretty high deck trailer there.
Highway 14 Washington side of Columbia River. The auto tunnel is a prime example of close encounters, the inside walls are marred, gouged because trucks running through and not hugging the center line. Can be real bad when two from opposite ends try the tunnel at the same time. Near Stevens.
I remember the bridge strike too but it wasn’t this fellow. Even after the new overpass I think it’s still 14-11 s/b?
Chevy 2500 gasser pulling a 50series. I'm guessing that whole load is almost 18-20k. Crazy...
As the old saying goes - You can't fix stupid........
I don't like the shove that the 120/20 ton tilt gives the empty dump truck. That ^ is just stupid. One little slip away from a jacknife like a spring switchblade.
That looks like a staged picture when you open it in another link and enlarge it. It looks like the truck is backed up on the far side of the trailer and the trailer extends almost as far as the bumper on the side of the truck. Maybe it's an optical illusion though or my meds are playing tricks with me.
If you click on the posted picture, it'll open a window, Right click on the pic and save it to your computer. Then open the file and MS will allow you to enlarge the photo more. When enlarged one can see it's a "pro series" Quality Trailer. Even see it's a pintle hitch with the crossed safety chains under it. The black painted curb of the pump station behind trailer, makes trailer appear to extend to the side of the truck Details.. He's close... The Case CX57c operating weight is 12,270 # The "18 foot" Pro Series Quality trailer has a GVWR of 15,000 # and capacity of 13,000 # https://www.casece.com/northamerica/en-us/products/excavators/mini-excavators/models/cx57c https://qualitytrailersinc.com/fend...pment-trailers/15000-gvwr-professional-grade/ The Chevy ... can't tell anything.. But it's not squatting.
My 3500 srw has a tow rating of 15900. That load exceeds my truck. Airbags will fix any squat. The likely scenario is he's using the RVers method of tow rating. Add up all the side walls on the tires stay under that and you're good to go. If that doesn't work go get bigger tires
It is an optical illusion.
Air bags will keep it raised and help with squat--but the overloaded side walls of the tires never lie.
I believe it is a two axle trailer, & a 5 Metric ton excavator. Heavy, I agree. Too heavy...maybe.
Too heavy to rely on one blue wire for stopping anyway.
Have a local RV park the City developed here, last week watched a GROUP of Half Tonners(GM six Lug and For Five lug) dragging in two and three axle over 35' rolling **** houses, brilliant minds think alike, so too the idiots.
Fact- this thread is about ego, narcissistic behavior, sliding by the law, operating a vehicle without due care and caution, and sliding under the wire to escape proper paper work. Fact-anyone who knowingly/or plays dumb overloads a vehicle and it's involved in a accident and DOT investigated plus insurance investigator and is found to be your fault because the vehicle was out of GVW range on maximum load you run the risk with some insurance companies of stepping out from under any claim. The fine print must be carefully read in a policy.
I do agree with your post, but I would venture to say that 50% of these overload situations are 100% stupidity. There's are those people out there that just bought a 1/2 ton pick up for the first time thinking they bought a tank. Most of the motor vehicle laws are in place to protect big business, namely insurance companies.
While I get angry about big fines for a taillight bulb that just blew, or snow covering a license plate, truth is these truck specific laws are to save lives. You do NOT have the right to gamble with the lives of others. I know of several excavation companies who once ran derelict trucks & trailers. Trucks never had decent tires, poor brakes, rarely did lights work Trailers had NONE of the required equipment functional. These days, law enforcement are really cracking down, equipment is kept in safe condition & loads are within legal limits.
I followed one such "truck" today towing a conventional RV, without tow mirrors. That is a sign for me if a driver doesn't have a problem with not seeing, pretty much all else will be bad. He was poking up the 60 MPH freeway at ~50 and clogging things up pretty good. People are filtering around him, and I finally get behind him just as I am about to exit. Oh yeah, 50 was pushing it. That trailer was manhandling him real bad. Weave and bob, then slow down, repeat because you are too stupid to learn.
A ticket for driving without due care and caution really is the laws way of saying your an idiot, politely.
Read the rules. Trailers over a given weight require load equalizers & sway controls to be legally towed. It is my opinion that truck manufacturers rate their half tons for too much trailer rating.
At least the RVs are not heavy so stopping would be less of a problem. Now getting used to the length/width is another story.
the salesmen are all too eager to sell a guy too much trailer as well.
Outside mirrors are another problem.
In 2000 I had a new 01 GMC 2500 van with Quigley 4x4 conversion. Bought a travel trailer, my first. 5.7 Vortec was rated about 8000 tow rating, subtract 300 for 4x4. Traoler GTW was 6000. The salesman assured me I needed no load equalizers or sway control. I hated it! The truck was lifted to allow room for oil pan & differential, that might have made it worse. I added load equalizer, it helped with porpoising, but cross winds were a real problem with sway. First summer we went to Bar Harbor, On Route 2 in ME it was miserable! Every bridge, every tractor trailer would start a growing sway. I spotted a small sign on a lawn looked like a private residence, TRAILER HITCHES INSTALLED. I stopped. Guy said he could help. 20 minutes later I had a friction sway control. What a difference!
The Vantage Bridge crossing the Columbia River-I have crossed that bridge at 80,000 gvw and with constant side winds coming down the gorge my right steer on the fog line and trailer tires on the center line. Anytime there was a RV/travel trailer ahead of me I laid back, I don't know how many have blown over in that area but it's not uncommon. When you see smoke puffing off the travel trailer tires from the whip you know the towing pickup is in a fight.
i don't claim skill rather I was lucky. 4x4 are not particularly good tow rigs, but: 1) all the front end parts are new 2) It is not lifted 3) I don't have stupid tires 4) My 5th wheel is light (<9000) and does not have a 5-head, you can't quite stand up next to the bed. The combo has excellent performance in the wind. When I picked the trailer up in Idaho in extreme January conditions, I was in a hurry to get home. I had to lay back on the corners going up I-90 because the empty cans were blowing all over the road, taking both lanes. The same thing happened the first time I ran west on 84 down the gorge in a big wind. I was rock solid and had to lay back from the empty cans. I won't go bigger on trailer because towing big feels like work and I do that for work, not play. The truck has a 15,900 tow rating and that really sound like work to me.
well, add an enthusiastic used truck salesperson to the mix and it only makes the problem worse for a first-time pickup truck buyer who may be unaware of towing GCWR etc. How many of them are likely to read the towing section of the factory owners manual? or understand it? or know what their load actually weighs? or adjust the gain on the brake controller if the pickup actually has one? 'Mike' says his 1/2 ton pickup will tow his 40ft fifth-wheel RV up any hill. ya, but 'Mike' , can you stop it?
Best smoke and spark show I saw was a car hauler who caught a bad bridge joint right in front of me. Apparently they don't have much clearance either way, and he was swaying and sparking and smoking tires on the structure above.
You cant see it very well but i saw this yesterday. Kubota 080 excavator on the back and a sv95 track loader on the front. What you cant see is the gas welder and torches and tool boxes in the truck box. All this behind a pick up.
I hauled my 18,000 lb. excavator and the svl95 one time about 4 miles behind the one ton Ford this spring. Never again. Truck works great with either one but grossing 46,000 or a hair more is just to much.
Oh no that rig will haul 60,000 GVW-trust me says the salesman.
Had to run to Pasco today 47 miles one way. The trip there was interesting-three illegal rigs on the road-two got caught by WSP, all farm rigs. All on hyw 12. First one slowed traffic to a crawl-tractor pulling a trailer loaded with hay. Bales hanging out-over width, and stacked so high the guy driving the tractor couldn't see behind, probably 30 cars and trucks backed up behind him. Along comes DOT and waves him over. Second rig had Festus Haggen at the wheel complete with a lariat hanging in the rear window {going to do a little roadside roping}. Trailer he was towing had no fenders, no lights and no license plate. One tail light worked on the pickup. The third was a wet dry/anhydrous with fold up booms 12' high for total of 24' coverage each side. Being towed along at 60 mph -now the kicker is it's the ag company I worked for 18 years ago. Anyway it was rolling along at 60 supported by old and I mean old air craft bomber tires, the one tire on the left side was down probably on the second layer of cord with a piece about a foot long just a flapping around. No brakes on this type of trailer and with the height of the booms you don't want to loose a tire. Sorry no photos-I don't take photos while driving.
That guy with the two machines should rethink where he's at in life, one wrong move and it's over for him and the passengers or god forbid someone out running errands with their kids and he can't stop.....
I remember I had those totally bogus slip on mirrors on my first Dodge diesel, but they worked. I can't remember where they went but I got the 3rd gen foldouts for it.
It was about a 20 year old kid driving it for a company. In quebec you only need a heavy vehicle license if the vehicle has 3 axles or has a weight of over 4500kg. So you can get a 17 year old kid who just got a driver's license in a 550 with 30 000lbs behind it and its totally legal.
Those old military aircraft tires were big for ag equipment tires back in the 1970's. 6 plys of cord showing, 24 more to go. I'm surprised anybody still runs them. They are so stiff it beat the equipment to death running down the road. Lots of spindle and lift arm problems disappeared after the equipment was switched to standard flotation tires.
They bought a warehouse full of those bomber tires, and will run them till every last one is gone. Epitome of cheap.
Wife and I had doc visits yesterday, on the trip to the offices spotted a local loading fresh round bales on a gooseneck and the guy was pulling out of that farm. Half ton SWB GMC six lug 4wd, tandem single wheel goose with 12 6x5 rounds on it. Not a strap or rope to be seen, eight on bottom 12’wide with 4 on top at the gaps of the lowers. Turned east toward Washington MO and headed thru town at 3:30pm during what would be considered ‘rush hour’. Illinois plates.
We have an intersection where 55 MPH speed limit Route 7 4 lane meets 103 two lane 50 MPH. There is a farmer loses several round bales a year there. Why AOT looks the other way for farmers, I don't understand.
Not in this state, DOT doesn't care who it is farmer or not. Insecure load is just that and a ticket is headed your way if you don't tie it down. During wheat harvest DOT is out with jump scales and catch several everyday.
The thing all farmers have in common: All are gamblers. They gamble on hundreds of things beyond their control. Many are very proud of the risks they take & get away with. They'll brag about it. I see it at its worst in electrical safety, and highway safety. Here, feed is mostly hay, or ensilage. Any grain fed is purchased from out of state. Hay is baled in the field, wrapped in plastic & some of it is left there. Ensilage is chopped & hauled wet, usually in four wheeled wagons. The derelict condition of these wagons would terrify other motorists if they knew. I see one farmer with a rusted out 30 year old Four cylinder Ford Ranger towing 18000 LB wagons up a mile long hill very steep! At highway speed the whipping in the steering gear is terrifying. No brakes at all on these wagons. No lights on either truck or wagons. I'm not aware of any tickets ever being issued.
Things are alot better over here for old farmers gear on the road. The old joke used to be that when a highway truck is completely worn and not longer safe, it gets converted to a dump truck until its dead. Then the farmer resurrects the dump truck into a potato truck. Happily we do not see this much anymore.
Then you have farmer like one I knew years back. The roads on his property were smooth/graded, his equipment well taken care of and pressure washed after use. His trucks were in very good condition and would pass a DOT inspection on any day. Every part of his farm was well taken care of by he and his two sons. Clarence was a very successful farmer well liked by everyone.
I too have met such a farmer. He is the exception, not the rule.
Got a SCOSH carried away loading clay at the pit this morning, noted it was pulling like a lead balloon all the way to drop point. Got onto scale at delivery point, 74xxx+ so Just a TAD overloaded for a quad dump truck. Total product aboard, 47xxx+.
That would have been a SCOSH of a ticket!! What can you gross, something like 64,000 legally?
Can carry 20t 'legitimately', truck is licensed for 72k as they at one time did work the St Louis Commercial Zone where not limited to gross but axle weights.
That heavy haul zone is crazy. I had a guy show up at a Richmond Mo. job I was on with 36 ton of rock on a dump truck. I think he had 3 drops maybe 4 on and raised them to come in on the job site on the tandems and front axle weighing a hair under 100,000 lbs. My poor old tandem feels really heavy weighing 56,000.
Was he 13’6” tall and lived on one bank of the Mississippi?
You forgot to mention the most common trait of farmers Willie. Short arms and deep pockets.......
copper wire being made=two farmers fighting over a penny.
John Deere has a new model tractor out, comes standard with no seat or steering wheel. It's for the farmer who lost his *** and has nowhere to turn.
Are you testing us?
I don't think seaplanes tolerate overloads nearly as well as trucks.
Cough, cough, Black hills S. D. and back..... It actually wasn't too bad, you could tell the bikes were back there, mostly on braking.
Nice! we had an 05 pilot and towed a ~2000 pound tent trailer like it was not there. Good times. @4300 pounds, the Pilot was a solid tow platform with a 3500 pound rating for boats and 3000 for travel trailer. They actually took into account the wind loads on the drive train that a big box adds.
lol yeah.... didnt get a pic but yesterday we saw a 2500 dodge hd towing a huge ass box truck with that hooked to a f350 pick up like truck-boat-truck style....... I was like what the hell?
Not a Over load but just had a sysco truck leave the yard with the Maxon rail lift gate down dragging-went out and hit the freeway. I could hear it 1/3 of a mile away. Guess that's what happens on Monday mornings after a weekend on the bottle.
Maybe he was axled out and needed to take some weight off before he crossed the scales. Lift gate, lift axle same-same.
Sparks should have been flying.
A couple of hunters chartered a Beaver on floats to go out to this remote lake in the thawed out North, hunting moose. The pilot promised he'd be back in two weeks, and he was back like clockwork. Hunting was good, and their gear and a huge bunch of moose was on the dock waiting. The pilot took one look and said " no way can I haul you and that out of here on one trip" The guy did it last year, the customer said. They harassed and cajoled and the guy relented. They loaded in all up and now the pilot faced a glass calm little lake, no wind, and rising terrain all around. He circled around the lake and got it chopped up, made some little waves, brought it around as hard as he dared ant took off in the best direction. First one float, then the other came out of the water and he staggered along in ground effect. he circled the little bowl from hell till he thought he could get out of it. He had to do something the cylinder head and oil temps were pegging with all the abuse he dealt the old radial. The plane roared along just above the little treetops, and for a while he though he made it. Then the slightest of downdrafts drove him down into the trees. The old beaver kept it's promise and structural integrity as they mushed into the trees and came to rest mostly in good shape. He looks back to check his passengers and they are in a hot discussion!?! One says " no way, we did not." the other says "we did too" and they keep up, making a bet on the matter. One of them climbs up one of the trees and points off in the distance. "We DID get farther than last year, pay up!"
I've ridden with people like that. BC loggers wanting to get out of camp no matter what. Had to go back to the dock and throw the cook out one day because we couldn't get off the water.Also flown into camp with tools and parts and had a different pilot refuse to fly exactly the same stuff out when the job was finished because it was too heavy. One of the reasons I retired early. You can only put your name in the hat so often before you lose the draw. d.d.
This was the last thing left at a farm i was cleaning up. I took my skid steer over there to load a small load that was in the way of moving this out to cut it up. I was going to haul a torch back there in the AM to cut it up. Its close to 100 today so on the way to dump the stuff i dreamed this up. About 4 mile trip it worked.
We just went around a really crap load on the way across the mountains he pulled over after holding up traffic for several miles. It was a gyppo log truck flat towing an old truck mounted shovel with a tow bar. Do you think there were any brakes hooked up? Of course not! He did have a big bunch of half inch chain wrapped around everything and hooked up as a safety chain. He had just come down the Orting cemetery Hill. That's no grade to scoff at.
The wife and I were on the bike and picked up that junker at the Electron cutoff. We were behind all the way to South Prairie where we pulled off because of the smell of burning brakes. I think the right rear cammed over and stuck because the stench and the smoke was sickening. You could smell the rubber and see the blue smoke when he went around corners as well. We waited about fifteen minutes and then took the Bonney Lake road just east of South Prairie. Didn't want to see a mess pulling up the hill out of South Prairie toward Buckley.
Isn't that Kapowsin? That's good I'm glad to hear you have your share of clap-trap junkers as well.
The wife and I came from Kapowsin, the junker came down cemetery hill to Orting and apparently and turned to go to South Prairie. They apparently pulled off the road just past the Kapowsin cutoff and got on just as we turned toward South Prairie. Long load, lots of traffic and lots of curves prevented us from just passing. Figured it was enough when we got to South Prairie.
John it sure is a small world! We were about five cars behind him when he pulled over there in front of Baxter manufacturing just past the electron T. You must have been only minutes behind us
I was thinking that when you mentioned a log truck was pulling a shovel. I wonder where he ended up?
I'm guessing Buckley something.
wife was driving and a got a partial of the tow. series 185-C ?
Seeing the back of the shovel, it reminds me of a shovel that is/was parked at that place just off the 162 Mundy Loss Road intersection right by the Spikton bridge.
Saw this on F B marketplace trailer for sale i take it there could be a brake problem.
ya and maybe a brown underwear problem
Komatsu D31-A ... Operating weight = 21,605 pounds. The truck needs a tire alignment along with a driver side door.
That slide a long ways side ways. LOL Cheers
Looks like the one blue wire came undone.
Saw this on one of the local community pages and thought it would fit in here nicely. May not be overloaded in the typical sense, but still an odd sight
Dozer above says "who's your daddy now?"
15 minutes before taking off on that trip the driver slapped the hood and said - "This baby's gotta a 5.9 with none of that emissions BS in those new trucks - it'll pull ANYTHING!".
The empty truck weighs about 8000. Trailer weighs almost as much. Dozer weighs 2-1/2 times as much as the truck. Likely an air brake trailer behind a juice brake truck.
Might NOT apply here, but the odds favor it ... "Horse people are crazy..."
Are people really that dumb ?
And this is the result of a trailer with electric brakes and no rear jack legs. Bet when the tractor went on the trailer ramp the trailer picked the rear wheels of the pickup off the ground and eaha away she went. Bob
Been there, done that. Improved feet on the ramps, wheel chalks all around cured that.
Yes but you also have a real truck there!
Guts, Glory, Rammed.
I sold that one. Replacement truck is a bit heavier. Different triaxle trailer. Yes I worry if my truck is heavy enough. I carry a 17400 LB backhoe. I move somewhat slow.
If you are holding people up, my answer to that is they need to leave home earlier
If I see 5 cars in my mirror I pull over at the next available spot, 4 cars and below can jolly well wait for a passing lane, I am not stopping.
I weigh that all out, literally. If I exit the road and have to stop, when I get back on it the pace will be pretty slow for the next group that comes around the bend. With my personal truck and travel trailer, I can move as fast as the road will let me. Most times it is the speed limit. Sometimes it is too damn rough and I have to slow down.
find nearest parking spot
Abondon ship...
My pickup and trucks dont have overdrive 55/60 mph has them wound tight. The 2 lane highway are bad you need to run 70 to keep up .
As to the Dozer, all too many consider NOT the weight but the physical size of machine, NO Concept of Mass Dynamics. Pulled a 580CK TLB behind my Ford on a gooseneck, Seven Miles on Secondary roads and that was ALL I would try with it.
yes that is a bad feeling, when the numbers are one thing but the reality is ......not good.
70? around here if you aren't doing 105 why your holding up traffic headed to the pot dispensary.
had guy from pa.pass me one day on old rt 30 in wyo. in a Donald duck Emeryville. his rt.front wheel brg. was a little brighter than that one .got him on cb and got him stopped before he lost it
you caught him before this happened.
Just saw this on a F acebook post.
Ha, Ha, Ha---gut's, glory, bent.
I like it when stupid hurts directly!!
It’s probably not even his truck. That kind of crap seems to only happen with a borrowed truck.
I am sure the loader hand was tying to warn them
Or he could've been a real sicko and did it anyway just to see what would happen.
Remember the ford ads some years back-dumping a bucket of crushed?
I was hauling fill for my sister last year with my 5 yard truck. I go back to the pile and the guy that normally loads trucks isn't back there. The other guy that loads a crusher all day is, and came over to load me. He has a Deere 844, takes a full heaping scoop, and just drops it in until it's flowing over the boards. I had been leaving the pit at 33,000lbs (single axle truck max legal). I pulled on the scale and it shot to 41,000. I went back to the pile, dumped the load and got loaded again. I could see that loader operator breaking a truck like that.
Don’t worry about the mule, load the wagon.
Didn’t AMC have a commercial where the loader operator fills the bed overflowing and yells down is it full yet?
Would love to know what the guy over on the right side of truck is telling who ever he was calling. Probably the trucks owner on the other end of that call!
I bet the mental midgets had the dump trailer hooked to a ball on the rear bumper and not the receiver hitch. If the trailer was hooked to the receiver it shouldn't have buckled the bed like that or there's something else going on the pic doesn't show.
I did notice the bumper and box are still more or less aligned and the rest of the truck seems to be sitting pretty normal.
Bumper should be mounted to end of frame rails--I would guess. What about the guy dressed in his safety construction gear? Wife beater shorts and beater tank top. Front tires have zero weight look at the camber.
The loader hand looks pretty green, IMO. He's on the phone to his boss too. you just sprinkle a little in and then get down and say, there you go! Have fun! It is easy to load a setup like that without breaking it, and yet have a totally uncontrollable mess above about 20 MPH
billygoat was`nt built like they used to be
Local quarry loader was shown the typical overload photos Stated he had idiot come in for driveway rock, asked him how much where told three to five ton would be fine. Had a typical rube two axle no brakes tandem 12’ utility trailer with no sides, no tarp to place rock on or any form of side boards. Told him requirements so would not be fired for loading inadequate trailer and guy went home. Came back with plywood box sides and a new sheet of plastic on floor. Loader sprinkled in enough to cover floor and be safe where customer went ballistic demanded he fill trailer so loader mcalled his boss. Boss said he wants it filled, do it and at weight requested. Five ton flattened the trailer, popped two of four tires. Guy abandoned trailer and said he would be in touch, never heard from again.
A lot of the ligjt-duty truck manufacturers make a really light pick-up just for looks to cheapen them up to sell to people who only haul a few groceries but want to look cool while doing it. Also, thats how they get good gas mileage- light truck and small engine. If you need a truck, shell out the cash and buy a real truck. Buy what you need but don't go past the capacity limit(GCWR) unless you are prepared for the consequences
These are real trucks, should be one parked in every driveway. A new pickup costs over half of that W900 on the left.
There is a need for light trucks, carpenters for example.They do not need a 99 ton GVW. Re. the Pic guy on the phone is call for a tow to dealer, making a warren claim on damage. Other guy appears to be urinating on no good trailer tongue
Would it make sense to buy a heavy truck used, or are you buying a headache? And if you're a homeowner or small farmer, do you need a CDL and commercial registration? A dump truck would be kind of useful.
If you are over 26k lbs GCWR/GVWR, have air brakes, carrying over 15 passengers or over 100 gallons of any liquid you need some form of CDL. I don't own a farm I am a homeowner and can attest owning a semi was best thing to do, it's not can I move it it's when do I want to move it and do I have the trailer to move it. I don't drive it everywhere I own a car for that, that can hold adequate usual stuff. Register it under farm use and you can haul up to 54k lbs or 55k lbs and you can register it lower if you want if you don't haul that much. Insurance is $90 a month plus the car is $33, registration is $180 a year for 54k/55k GVWR and you can register it for only the months you need it. Longevity if you can turn wrenches it's not a headache and will last damn near lifetime, fuel cost me about 50 cents a mile or less tires last forever and so do brakes. Bought mine over year ago cost me $5250 around there and will outlast most pickup trucks around same price range, lastly I hate automatics and you can't find a pickup truck new with stick shift anymore. Yes will be same for semi's but that is far far down the road.
Obviously I don't care about carpenter needs.
I am in the process of rebuilding a 16 year old W900L. Is NOT for the faint of heart or weak of skills. Is and shall remain EXPENSIVE but I see as worth every penny.
I'll agree with you there. It separates the welder fabricators from the welder fabricators and mechanics from mechanics. People come into the shop {who built this-who owns this} I reply {I only met him once and once was enough-he's a real ******* for sure.
Tell me it has an NHRS 320 under the hood!!
No-BCII 400 CPL 449 10% over fuel, fuel fed in both ends, aneroid adjusted 10% under, pulse manifold, T46, double nie pistons. It does smoke a slight bit on hard throttle but runs clean at 180*.
Carpenters I've known are the worst. Going to the dump? Cube it out! Shingles, sheet rock, concrete- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton don't matter. Picking up materials same thing- gimme a unit/pallet! It's a work truck! Trailers too. Guy that's working for me said his 1/2ton truck is "down on power". Dude, you are carrying around 8,000lbs of every tool you own and junk in it- the truck is begging for mercy. [edit] Cretards with 400thousand 2'x8'x1-1/8" form-ply on a car trailer. Don't forget the motorcycle tie-downs to keep them from falling off!
TS, Years ago, late 70s I started wondering why Cummins (on the 855s) only ran the fuel line to the front or back and always wanted to plumb my BC350 to both ends. It seemed logical for pressure and fuel temp to be as consistent as possible. My question here is, If that is all one did, would it be noticeable to an observant driver/mechanic?? Dave
Has to be. I would bet you'd need 6k+ of weight on the back of that truck to bend the frame, likely just crumpled the box.
Over half? I'll gladly take 20 of those trucks at that cost! You can buy a nice pickup for $55k being really generous, where can I buy that truck for say $100k? It's over $200k anywhere here.
Yes, probably the most noticeable is throttle performance.
The rear bumper is always mounted to the frame in any brand of pickup. Even the sappy engineers understand that one. The frame bent between the rear spring hangers because when weight was dropped the frame bottomed out on rear axle. pretty simple.
As usual I posted that in jest, But-I wasn't referring to canada I was referring to US. Average diesel pickup sold around here 80 grand and up no basic cheap crap. Price on new W900 2021 model and going off the seven we just bought $161,000. As matter of fact here's one of them below.
Mine will not be that Purty or anywhere NEAR to the level of the Bulldog!!
OH yes it will, you just ain't done yet. A properly gone through KW that vintage and specifications are bringing 50 to 55 grand. This 2017 SD 122 on the hook that we just sold went for 90.000 with 500,000 on it
I just pulled up my local ford dealer website. They had a 2021 f-250 diesel listed for $89,995. Its not even brand new, it had 3,300 miles on it. A new 2021 gasser was a tick under $70,000. Stepping up to a f-350, my options were a 2017 or a 2019, each under 35,000miles. $73,000 or $68,000. I'm hoping my 7.3's last me a while.
You said it C.O. nothing is going cheap in personal vehicles.
In mid February I bought a new Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4 Hemi 4x4 that has pretty much all the interior and exterior options, sorta plain Jane model all dressed up for the big dance. I got it for about $47,000, this was about 2-3 weeks before the chip crises became public panic. The dealer had close to 20 to chose from then and a month later they had all been sold. All of the new car dealers in the tri-state look like used car dealers now, I see shined up 2015 models on the front sales row where 4 months ago were all new vehicles.
One of my sons tried to convince me to buy a tandem, or triaxle dump. His first job out of college was a Davis-Bacon federal project driving a dump truck. I've considered it. The down side is NO used truck is on the market ready to run. D Miller entered into his project with eyes wide open, knew it'd be a big job. He has systematically repaired everything it needed. His truck, when finished will run another million miles with only minor problems. I can't afford new, I SURE can't afford old.
Don’t know if I am so systematic, at times consider myself chasing crazed squirrels
I'm sure it's got a lot worse in the last year or so but if you look hard enough you'll find something good. I paid $7k for my tandem, and 2 years later i've probably spent $20k in repairs maybe doing 1/4 of them myself or I could have saved a ton in labor but it's a solid truck that will go for a long time yet. The thing I like is compared to a 10-15 year old truck that could need exactly the same work, then you also still got electronics and emissions to deal with. Mine has been a lot of regular maintenance like tires, brakes, hoist, etc things that I will never have to do again. I rarely use it, but it's nearly paid for itself already. When it would cost me $800 to move my hoe and I move it twice in a day in and out of a job, it pays for itself very fast.
Some of that is incorrect according to the Fed rules. 26,000 GVWR and below with air brakes does not require a CDL. An air braked truck rated at 26,000 GVWR or less can tow a trailer 10,000 GVWR or less for a gross combined weight rating of 36,000 legally without a CDL. Now a juice braked 1 ton at 13,000 GVWR pulling an 18,000 GVWR goose neck would require a Class A CDL according to the Feds. As far as transporting diesel one can transport more than 100 gallons in a single tank. Thunder Creek has figured a way around the rules to transport a lot diesel legally without a CDL and hazmat. https://thundercreek.com/products/multi-tank-trailers.html Clear as mud because it's government.
I've never known for sure, I posed the question to two different VT AOT officers, got two different answers. I once owned a Chevrolet C65 with air. It was titled at 25999 LB but nameplate GVWR was 27500. I got two different answers as to a need for CDL. When I added a 9 ton trailer, there was no longer a doubt I needed CDL. VT DMV threw every obstacle in my path they could. I showed up a total of six times for my tests. Four of these trips were in a borrowed (bartered) truck & trailer with licensed CDL driver accompanying me. A written test for Learner's Permit. A written test for License. At the time of this test I was aware VT would later that year require a medical card for all CDL licenses, but none was required for in state use. I specifically asked, was told none would be required. I arrived with truck, trailer, & accompanying CDL driver, only to be refused for lack of a medical card. "You told me I didn't need one." "Who told you that?" "You." "Well, the law changes this year, we are enforcing it early." My doctor was pissed! I didn't realize I was kicking over a hornet's nest. He said: "I'm qualified to teach other doctors, & nurses to administer the test, but I myself have to attend a weeklong course to keep my certification." Next appointment he failed me on the Pre Trip Inspection. I failed to inspect trailer headboard & landing gear. I pointed the trailer wasn't equipped with either. "You need to mention that." I also didn't inspect the windshield & mirrors. I hadn't adjusted the mirrors. I responded: "I did that before driving to Rutland." Next appointment was made over the phone. When I arrived he informed me he had no record of me having an appointment. Last appointment, my Licensed driver, borrowed truck & trailer backed out a few days before. I scrambled, spent a couple thousand on my own truck & found a retired trucker to accompany me. I took two hours on pre trip inspection, crawled around under the truck way too long. I pointed out lack of landing gear & headboard, but checked function of jack. I checked the windshield & mirror adjustment. Asked him to adjust passenger side (it was already perfect). He finally cut me short on pre trip inspection. I finally got to take the road test & docking maneuver.
Which ever way one needs a CDL now, good luck it's mandatory paying to go to school for it, it's out of reach for those who can take the test without sitting in a class. I predict more tickets will be handed out as more skirt the law of requiring one.
Could Not get a photo as was entering a quarry and the guy came past me coming towards me. One ton Dually packed with tooling and boxes to the front, Lightweight low deck narrow Gooseneck, onboard a Kubota 40-60hp mid sized tractor with cab, loader, bush hog on back, in the RAISED Loader Bucket a Tined Grapple Bucket and a Roll Over Box Blade INSIDE the Grapple Inside the Bucket. One Chain forward, never saw any other tie down, behind him was a 3/4ton Squatted with a tongue low deck and a Mini Ex with two extra buckets on it, One chain to front one to rear and elevated arm with bucket curled under swinging free pointed Rearward. And NO DOT in sight when EVERY DAY otherwise they sit like vultures outside said quarry.
Out here one can do that but won’t pay a fine through DOT. Nope you will pay through shredded tires on the rocks instead, a busted leaf spring or find yourself in a ravine cause you couldn’t make the curve and went straight instead. No speed limit out here either, but you are of your own demise out here.
Vermont delayed instituting that law planned for 2020. My younger son heeded my pressure & got his CDL at age 19. Older son didn't do it then. He has an appointment September 1. I dearly hope he passes. He will if DMV doesn't pull any of their signature dirty tricks.
So glad DOT was NOT in Friday, New Guy on loader in the Quarry stockpiles, Usually take 20t and we repeat that every time we enter the load out piles, First Load I left with 22t Second was a Shock where the old gal running the scale asked if I wanted I could go dump and reload at near to 24t, Final of the day was 20 and a half.
25 ton tri-axle loads are the norm and legal on state and secondary roads here in AL. When estimating how many TN's of stone I need for a job I round it to the closets 25 ton load. Of course 25 TN on a tri-axle is not legal on Interstate HWY's.
When I was working for a ag company 18 years back, I would run four A-trains in grain harvest. It kept the chemical drivers busy during harvest. I only drove moving equipment for spray operation and that was random. The drivers would always start a $1 pool every day and let it run until one of them hit the 105,500 lb mark at elevator scales. Hauling out of the field to port elevators the wheat can vary in weight a lot plus you get to figure fuel burned on a 30 mile trip one way and four to five trips a day. One of the drivers had a emergency trip to the dentist one morning so I ended up driving that day {I hooked Old Queenie to his set of Western hoppers. Old Queenie was a 1984 Pete 359 with a very good running 7FB 400, 15 spd overdrive with 3.70's. I had completely rebuilt this tractor}. First trip I crossed the scales at 105,540. Second trip 105,480. Third time was a charm 105,500. Last two trips both 105,460. It really pissed off the drivers-I didn't take the pool money though.
How do axles add up with 105,500? Do they all have to be spot on or is there some margin?
When hauling grain it's like a live load-it can shift so some axles may weigh a little more than others. It's just hitting the exact GVW permitted.
What are the axle groups and weights permitted? We don't have 105,500 in California as far as I know.
On another note. Could not think where to put this and then my own thread popped up so I thought I would put it here.
A-train set is a 40' two axle lead trailer with a 20' two axle pup and a three axle tractor. 12,000 on steer, 34,000 on drives, 34,000 on lead trailer axles, 25,500 on pup axles.
The guy did a great job loading that 9 on that piece O trailer.
Are those the state or federal load limits? I wouldn't imagine your truck/trailer GVM, to be that low.
Similar to axle limits in the major metro commercial zones here, so long as axle weights are good can have as many axles as want and gvw can go to the moon. Just not on interstate roads.
I got in right before that BS got in here, I didn't have to do the 120 hours, just do the new road test. Absolutely stupid. Pre trip was like an extra 30 mins, because you have to open the hood and touch every single thing, which is of absolutely no value. The driving part was exactly the same, they made the backup a bit harder, but stupid. Old one was 3 tries to do a 90 backup, only 1 pull up. New one is 20 minutes to do a 90 backup and a parallel park, pull ups virtually unlimited. I took the old test in dump truck with my pintle trailer and I nearly failed because combination is so long and just doesn't turn short enough. New backup I did in 7 minutes, because it's not hard. The 90 makes sense, but the parallel park is retarded, even the examiner said it's something you'll never do again. It baffles me how many cannot do the backup though, examiner said so many fail on it and they are looking at making it easier so more pass, and some are more lax on it and let people slide a bit. License here is more straightforward, never needed for a pickup. Need 3 once you are a tandem on air, and a 1 if trailer is on air.
State.
In VT, I see plenty of triaxles, maybe half the big haulers use some triaxles. I NEVER see the third axle on the ground. I believe they only push the third axle down when they see the sign for truck check point. Never seen local haul trucks with more than three rear axles.
Everybody has recently started using a flimsy pusher/tag super dump config around here. I have noticed drivers not lifting when they should. I think they are able to lift from the cab. Saw one entering a job site loaded with the rear axle still down. The entrance was covered with 2-4" crushed to knock the mud off tires before entering the county road and the rocks were flying from the little tires as he made the corner. Surprised it did not knock a tire off the bead or cause a flat. Or scrubbing around a sharp corner with the tread all rolled out to one side.
Drop axles are to be raised in tight turns on asphalt off road not as much a problem. Should be wired to reverse backup light switch. But when raised the steer is maxed out and it puts a strain on power steering pump and steering gear.
The tri axle in the fleet I work for does not steer so has to be raised for tight cornering, the quads are all spring loaded king pin axles and are generally a must due to wheelbase when loaded. With greater than 22t on the steer will be carrying close to or over 23000 with the axles up. Ours do have a backup circuit over ride.
around here the popular newer truck is 7 axles. the usual three plus three drops in between those, and the strong arm at the back. Because Washington State follows the bridge rules, that is what it takes to haul 25 tons legally here.
I'm waiting for the 24 axle, 6 axles that steer pimp truck. It will haul all the crush needed for a housing development in three trips plus runover everything on the way.
LOL!
At 7 axles why not just use a tractor trailer? A tractor and two axle trailer can hold about 26 ton here. And a short tractor and trailer can go just about anywhere.
backed up to a paver? That is what a lot of these trucks do, haul top course and then mix.
We have guys here that do. 3 and 4 axle too but they are those live bottom ones.
Do all 7 have brakes? Must stop amazing
I see 11 axle tractor trailers here all day hauling asphalt and backing up to the paver. All are live unload, rarely see a dump truck hauling asphalt, but they are around too, just not the preferred choice given our weight restrictions. 11 axles like this can go to 158,000 pounds gross. If they space them a bit different, they can go up to 164,000 on 11 axles.
Now Colson that truck is short 13 axles, but with a little work---. Funny thing is that rig on a hot day would tear up as much asphalt as it hauls.
We have nothing like that here @colson04 The small jobs get backed up to a paver with a dump truck. Freeway jobs are usually belly dumps with windrow elevators picking it up.
How do you keep tires on something like that?
Ahh, you catch on quick - job security. They scrub like hell, tire shops always stay busy.
Which also means the suspension and wheel seals take a beating along with frame stress plus higher fuel consumption. I would bet the drive tires get worked hard. Which is added into the high cost of the project. Out here bridges are posted with axle groups and max tons. Even with that many axles the weight is concentrated wouldn't pass out here without special permit and even then not steady use. Sometimes it gets to grandiose.
The guys running Quints at the quarry were discussing tire wear and component fatigue repairs, likely NOT to repurchase as are a money spending proposition in a short amount of time where what is gained in product capaicty and revenue is more than spent on repairs/maintenance. One gentleman has rebushed his drop axles twice in five years, wheel bearings are a common occurrence failure as are seals. To make these multi axle units weight efficient they are reduced as to materials installed and can be a tad too light for what are trying to accomplish with them.
In Colson's state the auto companies wrote the weight laws long, long ago. Steel coils are heavy, and they were pulling them with wiggle wagons long before they were legal everywhere.
Most of the rust belt is like that
That picture just looks like a joke, honestly. Who in their mind would ever look at something like that and think "that's a great combination", it just makes no sense why some place would allow such a thing. In general though, drop axles just seem ridiculous, I am so glad they are not run here. Just run a dahm tri-drive, or twin steers, or both, it's way better in the end and it's a guarantee it's easier on the roads as the weight is distributed way better then drop axles, and there's no risk of people driving on the road with them raised.
Just from the maintenance view-Rigs with that many drop axles are a constant battle with air leak/air valve issues. The high volume compressor required, lift axle control valves, extra air tanks, yards of air line and a pile of fittings plus all the air bags.
yes that's the complete opposite of KISS. that's why the bulk of the material around here moves on eight axle truck/pup. they usually only have that one drop on the truck. some pit operations like miles Sand and gravel use belly dumps to get stuff out to the plants. a set of lightweight doubles they can move quite a bit of sand or gravel.
Well loaded and set to leave in morning, headed to OK with the Tetanus Queen!! Be under license weight but still a might heavy for the truck/trailer.
My dad bought new a truck identical to that one but a short bed when I turned 16 he gave it to me then I rebuilt it more less kinda miss the thing tho it would have been a rust bucket by now.
99 SD F250 7.3 dsl, 340,000 HARD Miles doing just as shown here only it was usually dragging a farm tractor and implements to BILs farm south of here then back to home. It has been semi retired as I have for some time now. When the KW is done it will be sold or fully retired to history.
D. what's the tq got for power?
Old chevy has a 366 4bbl currently a Edelbrock knock off AFB had to add a electric fuel pump as the later mechanicals are crap 5 spd Clark still works sort of, the two speed has not been wired up in ages, has a new radiator all new hoses and oil change was recent and a reman ps pump cartridge as I had been using it to haul offal dirt and rock Bed appears a mess but I overlaid the floor and worst rust thrus with 1/8” steel 2019 the hydraulics still work well.
Even started right up when got here, headed home.
I see you parked under a real lean-to.
Have a similar truck I bought new - 2001 F250, 4x4, 7.3 PS, extended cab XL with auto trans. It has around 300K on the clock and we just replaced the trans a month ago. It's a spare truck on the yard when we need one. It's a heck of a truck if I'd known how good the 1999-2002 Superduty's would be I'd bought more and kept them.
It's like a good pair of shoes, by the time you find out how good they are and how bad the new model is, it's too late. Now i buy 3 more pairs and put them in the closet when i get a good one.
Especially after living through the nightmare which was the 2003-2010 Superduty's....
What nightmare did you live through with them? I'm driving an '08 F-350, 4x4, V10 with auto trans, 235,000 miles. I've had regular maintenance items like brakes, ball joints, u-joints, and lots of rust. Current issue i need to dealnwith are broken exhaust manifold studs. Not a huge issue, but its going to be a full day repair whenever I get around to fixing it.
The 6.0 diesel was a nightmare.
The 6.0 and 6.4. I had enough of the 6.0's and the economy was in the tank so didn't have a 6.4. My first Superduty was a 1999 F250 V10 - it was pass everything except the gas station. The V10's are thirsty but good engines.
yikes look at those springs! That would get an instant ~$1000 ticket here for unsecured load. Washington cracked down on that after a lady was blinded and nearly killed by a crappy piece of throwaway furniture.
I loved my '17 with the 6.7L! They did get things fixed. I have a buddy, had a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0L. He had no issues, didn't have to 'bulletproof' it until it his 235k. He towed a 28' trailer full of motorcycle roadrace bikes for 90% of its life.
People that know what I do for living have asked {why don't you own a diesel ?} I never bother to answer-which is answer enough.
It's a diesel It will take it-as a matter of fact there's room for a few more on there.
Once it hits the bump stops you know its good for just a little more. If you weren't supposed to use them they wouldn't have put them there.
The 6.7's are outstanding - I own 2 of them in addition to a 6.7 Cummins and the 7.3. You're buddy has a unicorn 6.0. I owned 4 - 6.0's in 250's, 350's and a 450. The only 6.0 that didn't give us issues was the 450 and I sold it before it reached 40K miles and less than 2 years old. Next truck purchase will be a Ford 6.7 as I won't buy a gas burner in a 3/4 and above truck.
Company in the same complex has 2 6.7s, one in an F550 service truck and one in a F-750 (?) bobtail at 30-35k Both have been in and out of service for months and needed expensive and extensive work. Maybe pickups do better but these heavier trucks in heavy hills do not seem to be doing so well. I'm not going to buy another diesel, maybe they are good when they work right, but the dealer is a long way off and always backed up with jobs. I or my local mechanic need to be able to fix it right now when it breaks.
I'll give my diesel up when I get a sub 6000 pound travel trailer. Not saying a gasser won't tow more than that, but the 5.9 common rail and 6 speed manual transmission are quite competent and frugal at the same time. I've never seen single digits towing the 10K 5th wheels. I have enough gears and torque to keep it in the sweet spot and not howling. The exhaust brake makes mountain towing worry-free.
6.0's are actually pretty good once you get rid of the poor design choices, just like with many light duty diesels, like the stock oil cooler, egr crap.
still a V-8. Not going there
Yeah they do loose points for that one lol
My poor old 7.3 is tired, been whooped like a cur dog as to being used as a load hauler, I tended to make it work harder than many ever did. max speed with the chevy on was 72mph on straight level, up hill was down to low sixties working its ass off and has been chip reprogrammed for better response(A dozen Years ago) with a fuel mileage increase due to ULSD. just shy of 340,000 miles and all but the 12 on it when bought it were mine. No major engine work(knocking on my wooden head) but have had a trans replacement two third members where the 10.5 Ford Corporate stood up somewhat well, and misc other stuff as water pumps under cover harnesses, glow plugs. Cab is imploding as most of these do, thought about rebuilding that but cannot justify as so much other will eventually go south but 21 years and the miles against the loads has justified its purchase those years ago. Wanted to go to the quarry and weigh out with the Chevy on, was too scared to know what it really weighed, truck been licensed 24K for years as dragged tractor with implements back and forth to BILs farm for years.
I hear ya on the V10 being thirsty; 7-10mpg when towing (depends on what I'm towing) and 12-15mpg not towing. Winter time it drops to around 11mpg consistently when empty. When I bought it, I was looking for a super duty that would be an occasional/seasonal use truck. I don't like the 5.4L engine in a super duty chassis. I strongly considered any of the Powerstrokes depending on what was available in my budget, but after talking with my father in law (certified mechanic, specializing in all Ford products), he strongly recommended the v10 for my intended use. It was a solid choice, but now that it runs daily, the fuel bill is pretty steep. I recently picked up a 1997 F350 stake bed with a 7.3L diesel. Its not a show truck, but I think I can get some good use out of it once I put some time into fixing some of the little things that need addressing.
I will take a guess at 14k lbs., my POS grain truck with wooden dump bed weighs 12k and is of same year as yours.
You escaped the spark plug puking engine.
Did have some carnage on the trip down, less than 35 miles from house on way out a Doe ran into the side of the truck, Full dead run, and did Die!! She may have survived the hit, but then caught the LF corner of the GN and got snapped. Also this is the unistrut rolling bench I got.
At 14k plus the 6k+ for the trailer and my truck at close to 8k I was a taste too heavy for the 24k license, and it did equate to that driving out.
With all the bed damage and rust, may opt to a flatbed for it "IF" should try to do something with the cab. At close to $75K for a replacement New and no way to touch a two to three year used for much less may be equitable to repair this.
That is a big selling point of a diesel guys that never hauled or pulled much buy one and start doing stuff that they think couldnt have been done before.
No, I didn't escape that. I had a 1998 F-250 5.4L 2V engine that puked two plugs over the 130,000 miles I owned it. Amazingly, both plugs that went were the front cylinder on each side so doing the repair kit was super simple. I don't think I spent more than 30 minutes repairing either one. I sold the truck with 250,000 miles on it to a friend that put another 20,000 miles on it before a tree crushed it during a big storm. I have since owned 2 of the 5.4L 3V engines, both in Expedition chassis's, that have ran exceptionally well, and this V10 3V.
Same reason I put a new trans in our '01 F250. A replacement would run $50-55K for an XL with roll up windows like this trucks has. Now I have a '14 F250 CC 4x4 gas burner that is going on the selling block as soon as we get the '01 250 set up as a field service unit. Gave the guys a choice and they all chose the '01 7.3 over the '14 gas and the '14 has power windows and door locks.
If the door still closes it does not owe you a thing. That is one thing about a well seasoned truck.
My C65 with flatbed dump & sideboards was something like 13500 with my pudgy body in the seat.
One of the extra sons is obsessed with Super Duty's He has bought a series of 10 year old trucks in the past 10 years. 5 that I can remember. He always buys a modified lifted diesel. All have given enormous levels of trouble. He finally bought a new 350 dually gas 6.2? A couple years now of trouble free use. Make a payment, use his energy for other tasks.
worst Ford's I have seen for gas milage was 2 1990 f250s the co had. 8 mpg was the best they ever got regardless. 460 autos.
I have a 1992 F-superduty (450) with the 460 and a 5speed. I get about 5mpg with it. One of my guys can get 10mpg out of it, but I never have.
In 87 I cleaned up a mess-I-90 between Cle Elum and Easton. 7 elk walked into the path of a east bound 4370 IH in the fog. One went over the hood through the windshield and died in the sleeper. Tore the steer axle loose and shoved it into the fuel tanks. Exploded the hood-only the mounts left. Laid the radiator back onto engine. Driver ducked and lived to tell about it-took two fire trucks to hose the road down.
Big block gas engines were never designed for efficiency. Designed to vacuum your wallet and they do real well at that. Really it's pretty disgraceful what dogs and fuel guzzlers a big block really is . We have 5 three axle Freightliner Cascadia's with 520 hp DD15's that are on a constant GVW of 80,000 lbs. that run 48 states, those five average 7.5 mpg.
That's why I am stuck with my diesel. I could not stomach that kind of fuel burn when I know what a real truck can do.
Fuel economy sucked headed west, 7.5 was all I got full tank from house when filled at Joplin. On way back stopped at Cuba as came off highway, topped up, was getting over 12 running 75-80.
well that only makes sense. Heading west you are driving against the rotation of the Earth going east you are going with the rotation. Any more help needed and I'll be glad to put in my two cents! As long as you can make change for a wooden nickel!
One ton and below are pickups, glorified pickups at that. Trucks don't really start till 32,000 GVW. just my two cents.
Real trucks in my post above are the 80,000 pound "Freightliner Cascadia's with 520 hp DD15's" getting 7.5 MPG, not my glorified pickup with the 5.9. It does the little job i ask of it but I will never tow the rated 15,000 + with it. That ratio of tractor weight to trailer should be reserved for air brakes only. Those are my original 2 cents
I wasn't referring to you, just making a statement.
But, but, but, I've heard of Ford diesels self destructing & costing $11000 to repair. Gas engines seem less often to do this.
And the toilets flush opposite south of the equator than north of the equator.
Your correct-but, but, but both are expensive problems. Any of these are only as good as the design and maintenance. And some were just junk to begin with.
All three manufactures have gone to extremes to make there diesel dude look like a larger than life vehicle. All for marketing a big powerful tough job rig that mom can drive and not go over GVW with a load of soccer balls and can be used on the sly moving things too heavy. The modern Big Nose-Jimmy Durante
My current rig is an ex-logging truck that I got from the original owner company with about 240K. They were up front about it burning oil and that was reflected in the price. I hoped to get two years out of it and it made it 20 months. It was killed by idling out there in the woods, it had way too many hours for the miles. BTW that is what you watch for on these quiet diesels. Idle time kills them prematurely. The oil field trucks from the Dakotas are all suspect to be junk for that reason, too damn cold out there. Now it is .020 over and all stock save the camshaft. Overhauled trans, new clutch, new diff gears and bearings, free spin hubs. I am into it about 17K total and hope to run it a long time.
Our village idiot (long story) has a 6.0 ford....been thru injector crap and the trans failure. It"s been dead in the driveway for 2 months now. He's been driving his dead fil's 92 Dodge gen1 Cummins. Enough said. Ed
I hauled home 1600 gallons of water on the back of my semi on Friday on a flatbed I built for the rig, lets see any 1 ton diesel haul that home in the back of their truck or the average trailer one hauls with. 1 gallon = 8.34 lbs x 1600 gallons = 13,334 lbs plus empty semi 20k lbs equals 33 to 34k lbs loaded.
Weight wise, I was right there as to load with the Chevy!! was somewhere close to 26-28 at least well over 24k just on a pickup and gooseneck.
I had to use a Ford service truck one time that had a 460 in it. Two tanks of fuel at about 18 gallons each. Used the first tank to get from Kent to Aberdeen. The second tank got me up into the hills above Tokeland. Worked all night on the head lights and running the engine to keep the battery from going dead. Had just enough fuel to coast into a gas station back in Aberdeen at 4:00 AM. Put one of those engines on a stand in the desert and I would pay to shoot holes in it with a 50 BMG.
We used to run little 4x4 fire trucks as a contractor in Oregon. Had one with that same setup, and the back gas gauge was broken. When we would get a fire assignment in the middle of the night and have to travel across the desert, Burns or Lakeview, John Day area, we were sweating bullets that that thing would make it to wherever we were going. Because as you know in Oregon, you cannot pump your own gas, so in the boondocks that mostly means no gas is available at night.
Haven't put quite that much on my pickup, but I did put 4 pallets of sod on it, I was about 20,000lbs, empty without my toolboxes and slip tank truck is about 10,000lbs. The only time the 5500 actually rode good! Amazing how it handled the weight though, starting and stopping you didn't know it had anything on it, the only difference I noticed was cornering a tiny bit of sway.
You mind if I take a few shots too?
Last place I worked had a F450 with the same setup. What a jalopy, a long hill would put you into 4th gear or maybe 3rd and have the floor hot enough to burn your feet.
The 429 was a real runner, It had intake ports that flowed, the CJ429 a jumbo egg would easily fit the intake ports. But those were 10.5 and 11.1 compression engines. The 460 on the other hand was low compression, poor cylinder heads, and very lousy intake manifold. The 460 was designed to move a slug of a car {the Continental with 2.90/3.00 gears}. It was and is a slug in stock form. The best engine for a pickup that Ford never put in a pickup was the {open chamber 351 Cleveland one tough engine that put out 335 horses and more torque in a useable range plus better fuel mileage than any boat anchor 460. The Cleveland with just bolt on accessories could produce 400 hp. The engine Nascar band.
Unlike the Windsor boat anchor
And the 351 Modified boat anchor.
Or the 360 2 barrels of oil boat anchor. FIL had an original 1968? F250 with that one. We had the option of keeping it but no thanks.
I thought the fuel injected 460 in the late 80s/early 90s was actually quite a good truck engine for torque and whatnot. Fuel economy not so great.
The other Ford dog was the two barrel 352 which I believe became the 360. My dad had a 1966 F250 that got about 8 MPG coasting down all the hills.
My dad still has a 66 F250 352 which is configured as a baby dump truck. We never tried to drive it fast but it always works when needed.
Dad traded his in on a Toyota Hilux pickup in 69 or 70. He didn’t need to haul two drums of diesel into the woods anymore. Went from 8 MPG to 24. We ran that toy over 200K. Sold it to a guy at work who ran another 70K.
The 360-was a 4.050 bore 390 block de-stroked using a 3.50 stroke 352 crank. The real mutt was the common 331 in the F600-700 series-not a rig you wanted to overload.
I never understood the practice of installing 200 HP gas motors in 35000 LB trucks. I had a Chevy C65 with 366. The motor would have been only adequate in a 6000 LB pickup. I changed to 427 tall block & made it barely capable of crawling up or down VT hilly highways.
Talk about a flash back! I had a 352 in a Ford convertable, forget the model right off. About the only thing that engine was good for was disposing of gas without producing any power! Think the best milage it ever got was around 12 mpg! Just remembered I still have the owners manual from that one, it was a 1962 Galaxie! Manual says it was rated at 220 hp at 4400 rpm! i think 200 of those horses were used to run the fuel pump!
I have a 330 f600 the FE and FT are not number one in my book but it dos ok if your not in a hurry. I dont lug it or twist it tight. I like chevys but this F600 has done a good job for what it is.
The 534 was a guzzler and only produced 490 on torque with 220 hp. In a super duty dump with ten yards on it made a lot of noise.
I had a Super Duty dump way back in the day. It had a 534, and was a triaxle. That thing could really suck gas. Thank goodness gas was only about $.29/gallon back then. And we thought that was bad. Jeff
Then there were the Corn Queens, VS 478 504 549, V404 446
A 549 in a 190 was a runner for sure, a favorite in the midwest.
And twin 65 gal tanks would last about a day!!!
Who remembers the GMC 478 V6? When I was a youngster dad had a cab forward Chevy tractor pulling a lowboy trailer. Seemed to have decent torque, but wasn’t fast. Replaced it with a Diamond Reo with a 210 Cummins, we had a big horse then lol.
We had a 65 GMC cabover firetruck in our department, it had a 401 cubic inch V-6. It had great torque, was easy to drive. It had a 20 gallon gas tank, it didn't get far, fortunately we have a small district!
GMC's KING of fuel guzzler's-702 cu.in. V12 basically two 351 V6's-The one that showed up at our dairy pilling a 35' Heil tanker looked just like the green one below. 1964 model 63 and down had a wrap around windshield. Like the other below. Made a lot of noise with straights.
It wasn't hard to overload a gas pot.
427 Tall block Chevy; I'd start from home with 50 gallons, drive with empty trailer to Dave's to pick up his 15000 LB antique tractor, 35 miles. I'd load, and drive 40 miles up one mountain, back down to near his elevation. Late day, I'd reverse the trip. Getting home, I'd put 40 gallons in, less than 4 MPG. 70 miles with no load but trailer. I've got to say this anemic diesel I now have hurts less on fuel! Nearly 3 times as far on a gallon.
I do. The V-6s were popular with the local fruit business. You'd see those cabovers pulling straddle trailers or flatbeds.
Here is one that was factory 4-53 powered, pretty gutless even below gvw.
I would barely trust that engine to run a Jeep. Yes I know they have 4bt Cummins kits for Jeep’s too.
4-53=nothing but noise and not much else.
I drove a couple of those old V6 monsters. Lug the crap out them and don't miss a shift on the two speed axle and they lasted a long time. Put a cowboy in one that thinks you have to hit the red mark on the tach and nasty things happened down low.
Hey now the the 4-53s in my crane and fork truck always start and work......They have there place the only way that truck would go over 40 around here is down a mine shaft and you'd probably still have to be on the go pedal.
Last 401 V6 GM I worked on was a rear engine bus a older guy was attempting to convert to a RV. He finally gave up where the bus just disappeared.
You can like them-everyone can like them-I don't.
I don't like them either, but it is probably for the best after all these years that it is a 4-53, which is still supported, and not one of the 4 cycles of the era like a Bedford or Dorset engine. If that was the case, the machines would probably be in the scrap heap now over the lack of some 5 dollar engine part.
today's overload, a typical 4 axle vac truck sitting on the scales ahead of me at 94,000 lb.
Oh happy days!
My 366 LP got 3.5 pulling my pickup.
as far as the 534 being a guzzler, etc. that may be true but most of the fire trucks in the 70's with ford c series chassis used them. i think it was because it was the biggest and most dependable gas engine that ford made that was able to be shoehorned into the c series chassis. there weren't a lot of choices of chassis for mid-mounted fire pumps that were not custom made so therefore the ford was probably the cheapest
The 4-53 was a great engine for a commercial charter fishing boat. It worked real well in small excavators of the day. Lots of Drott excavators and cruise cranes had them. Fit in the engine compartments and left some room to be able to swing a wrench and do basic maintenance. They only ran for around 5,000 hours before needing in framed but you could do the in frame in a weekend pretty easily.
yes he's making work for some mechanic out there! next up, this lovely little box of rocks that will slide off the back. If he goes around much of a corner some of it's going to slide off the side too.
Some constable is going to have a fish on the line for that mess.
For the little yokel volunteer FD the 534 made the truck run down the road and it didn't need air brakes either. Other options were the Cat 1100 series and 3208 I thought were quite good for that era. The other option was the 8.2 Detroit which we have already talked about. They made the C-series up until at least 1989 with 20" lock ring wheels and everything.
Suppose to have 9 inches freeboard on a load in a dump truck.
he had no excuse either with that hook truck he could see right down the edge of that bed with the right mirror. he drove out there ahead of me without looking at it doing anything with it or putting the tarp over it.
I see now why a friend quit the backhoe business. Hard to justify the rig needed to move one.
I'll bet there's 9 inches clearance in the very back corner, does that count?
It's not hard to justify the rig to move them you just have to understand the overhead involved and decide how serious your going to be about it If you go with a real truck they last a long time some guys like the 1 ton cause they use it as a daily and get a new one every 3 to 4 years and justify the payments on there buissness I opt for real trucks its inexpensive if you know what to look for and it gives you a ton more options
The real truck I am driving is a 1992 that they purchased in 2000, and it still gets it done. I had a lady try and do suicide by Ford on my way home today. I had a long green and was doing 35, she pulled up after somebody turned right, and just started to go for it without looking. She was too busy yelling at her teenage son while looking at him to look to the left. I dynomited the brakes. I think he screamed because then she hit the brakes and I rolled on through, and did not collect any paint on the back of the truck either from the cars behind me. We get stopped at the next light and she is rolling slowly up in the left turn lane, screaming at her child. Not looking where she is going. I give a blast of air horn to get her attention, and pointed the fickle finger of " pay attention lady" at her. She briefly looked at me and kept on yelling. The light changes and the people behind her have to honk at her too. SHEESH!
That right there {above} is the reason my cdl will no longer exist after this last renewal. People can't drive, and don't want to take responsibility behind the wheel. Also one of the reasons I sold my Wing 7 years ago. I decided I didn't like the idea of being a organ donor. Only reason I have a cdl is to test drive and operate the company tow truck plus drive My Last One once a month. Very few people obey traffic signs and rules-which creates a free for all. I personally think all traffic lights, stop signs and yield signs should be removed for three months and let the mayhem begin. There's a loft in the shop I will move in there for the three months.
The Ford would need a Mad Max bumper on it I have one more renewal and two medicals left on my schedule. The idea of driving in retirement? No thank you.
What really kills me is that people can't figure out flashing red/red, red/yellow or out traffic lights. You'd think they'd never gone through an intersection without a light before.
Let my cdl go 5 years ago.....all for prevoiusly mentioned reasons. Never regretted it for 1 second. Society is breeding / raising a better idiot than technology can keep up with. Ed
That's insane, must run massive boxes there to haul anything. With a 15 yard box and clay that isn't too wet you can fill it right to the boards and it's still legal weight here. Here it's legal as long as it's below the side board. If i'm hauling anything that's light enough to load high, as long as it's below the sideboard on the edges I have no problem heaping the center, it's not going anywhere. IMO the left side is fine, if it was tarped I honestly doubt you'd loose even a pebble on the right side driving normally. Without seeing how big the box is, impossible to judge if it's too heavy, but judging how low that box is compared to top of cab it doesn't look that deep.
Maybe i'm an ******* in my thinking but when it comes to driving with the semi, my idea is people driving like idiots are playing russian roulette, and if they do something stupid and cross my path, i'm not risking my life or my business for it. I have a dash cam to record, why take the ditch and risk getting messed up badly or writing off my truck/equipment and costing me huge amounts of money for someone else's stupidity? Taking a steep ditch with a hoe on the back is a really bad idea and there is not a chance in hell I will do it to save someone else from themselves. The part that baffles me it seems with my old truck compared to when I used my dads, people are worse for cutting me off which I don't get, his was a 2015 durastar which doesn't look big, compared to my old western star that is all steel in the front that will not be forgiving. But I will say I never rush with the hoe on, if it takes a few more minutes to get somewhere so be it. But you can't win, i've found if you leave more room in front of you, you get cut off even worse and it's more dangerous. I swear every trip i'm swearing at a handful of idiots at least. The last one wasn't related to driving per say. Dropping off hoe at a dig in a residential area a few weeks ago where they are redoing the streets so it's a nightmare getting in. I unchain hoe get everything prepped before I back in to unload because I have to block the street, just as i'm getting in the hoe guy is yelling and swearing at me to move saying he needs through you can't block the road it's illegal, etc, etc saying it's an emergency so I ask what kind? Family emergency he says, Ya BS. Whole time he is sitting in his SUV yelling and swearing at me, I bet he didn't wait 3 minutes and he could have got around if he went on the sidewalk which I pointed out but he said "i'm not driving on the sidewalk". People are just idiots. I would have let him have it but the customer was coming to meet me so the last thing I wanted was them to show up and see me arguing with someone. For the record it was in a higher end subdivision with people who think they are somebody and the douchbag was driving the typical fancy SUV.... The type that will cut you off 5' in front of your bumper to get 1 car length ahead.....
Most people in cars don't understand what one of my guys call the lugnut rule. Ie he who's vehicle has more lugnuts has the ultimate right of way cause physics lol.
More drivers here are opting for full scale high end dash cams and side cams. Gwo other drivers at the yard I run from have them as have to drive in STL and KC to access pickups or drops, there have been two incidents against one of these drivers where his camera footage flipped blame back to the car driver where one was a swerve in front and brake check ass ender. Auto driver was issued a C&I in court during the lawsuit trying to get a new car from dash cam footage. The other gut lug stud/nut destroyed a Land Rover right side from front wheel well back, side cam showed the Rover come across lane lines not the semi, moron was on a cell phone. Suit was dropped but his insurance still refuses to pay for studs and alcoa rim.
The company has a dash cam in every tractor and has for 10 years plus now. Every trailer has a tracker with box temp. That's 64 cameras and 105 trackers. $$$$$$$. Think about it this way society has turned into such a lying, thieving mass. Cameras are every where to keep yourself out of court. Fact is one of our trucks was at a crash scene as it happened in Denver. That camera recorded what other cameras didn't. Our rig was not involved just there. It's a sad state of affairs when we are forced to spend money in that direction to stay out of trouble.
I blame lawyers. They make a LOT of money off other peoples misery and it seems like the majority of them have no moral ethics. I don't mind them being smarter than me-just don't rub it in my face
I can't justify defending lawyers but do have to say that there are good and bad. The system is set up for confrontation and winning or losing. They are being paid to win and that usually involves being aggressive and making people look bad if necessary. They are governed by an ethics code and can be sanctioned by their particular bar association if they don't do the best that they can for their client. I usually tell people that you get what you pay for and if you are paying for a $300 an hour attorney to go against a $1,000 an hour attorney, plan on losing your case.
Gerry Spence-Never lost a criminal case as a prosecutor or defense attorney. Last time he lost a civil case was 1969.
Picking up rock at the quarry, single axle lawn trailer, no sides, no cover, no problem. Its a 4 lane 65mph highway for miles any direction as you leave the quarry. Toyota tacoma, with the bed level full of bottled water. Costco must have had a whale of a sale on, and they couldn't leave any behind. That, or they have a heads up on the next covid shortage. It had that reverse squat going on.
Watched in horror as a F150 Crew Cab passed me with a Three Axle MONTANA at least 40' 5th Wheel RV behind it, was just starting to sprinkle,. Heard there was a RV in the ditch at Wentzville in a rain shower on the CB coming out of Wright City Quarry, turned out to be him. Both appeared to be almost Brand New, TN Tags.
But, but, but, the owners manual says I can do this......
The mode that 150 was programed to when it passed you was the {Rip **** Tear *** mode}.
Well this one isn't a overload but---I spotted it on one of our rigs as it pulled into the shop for trailer service yesterday. I called over to the office so the {Big Cheese} could come over and see what caliber of driver he hired two weeks before. When he walked in the shop I pointed to the fuel tank on the fuel soaked right side of the tractor. {The fuel nozzle and breakaway were still hanging in the tank bung} . {I think you need to call the fuel desk and have the company own up to it}.
And I'm sitting here waiting for the pic. to load. Dam No pic. Too funny.
DBL post, opps
Like a boat without enough power to plane. If that truck were full of water, no air space, it'd be more than 3500 LBS of water.
I always wondered why the truck stops had the breakaway thing on all the hoses until I seen one broken off, I guess it's cheap insurance to protect them from dumba$$es.
The thing i've found about newer 1500's is the suspension is softer then baby ****. I put like 500lbs in my ram 1500 box and the truck is level, anything more and the rear end is lower. It still handles fine though. Even a rental that was brand new like 1,000 miles on it, pulling 8,000lbs maybe 1,000lbs of pin weight, rear end was really really low even though it's well within it's capacity. As bad as it may look, it still handles great though.
All fueling pumps have breakaways gas or diesel.
Did your company return the nozzle & hose...? Likely break away coupling is single use.
1500 series trucks are NOT trucks, they are grocery or small parcel material/lumber haulers or hand tool carriers or Soccer Mom station wagons. They are not designed nor weight rated or braking system rated to do as the general public end up doing with them. As to breakaway hoses, have not seen one still in a car for awhile now, although have not been looking, still see near a dozen per week of the morons that fail to reinstall the gas cap, fueling door standing wide open and on Driver side as usual.
Recent camping trip we witnessed two rigs, they were together. Both camper & pickup were new both families. The State Park had recently repaved, adding maybe 4" of pavement, but didn't add the needed gravel along the aprons for each site. First new owner drove around an hour or more, trying in vain to back into one site after another. Eventually found one he could manage. His buddy chose the site next to us. He still had is load equalizers on when he backed in, rear truck wheels way too low, he couldn't unhitch. Borrowed a 6x6 from me & lifted the rear wheels of truck off the ground with electric trailer jack hoping to unhitch that way. My wife was embarrassed, but I had to intervene. He'd have killed himself! Yes, one of the trucks was a new F150 with probably a 10,000 LB trailer. People equate engine horsepower only with trailer weight rating. They should factor many other qualities.
All the north american vehicle manufacturers have towing guides on their websites. I used to work for an electrical utility and I could not believe what some people thought they should be able to tow with a fully loaded F350 or F450. One guy was upset because the rear wheel studs on his F350 dually kept breaking. I sent him to the weigh scale to weigh the truck and it was at the max axle weights it was rated for. Add a 4000 Lb trailer with a 14000 Lb sno-cat on it and you have a problem.
In my experience, It's the combination of truck or RV salesman that gives poor advice and buyer that ignores good advice. Specifically, the proper trucks for a heavy trailer are sold by the back lot commercial sales dep't while the 1/2 tons are sold along with the cars that front the lot. The car sales people have little or no knowledge of GVWR and less knowledge of GCVWR.
Of late and getting late in the Tourista Season here, have been literally Dozens of trailers(All types) and Self Propelled RVs alongside our major interstates with shelled out tires or cooked wheel bearings. Saw at least four over last few weeks with lug studs sheared away on either the truck or trailer as well. One dork had one of the Super Smoker Bed installed 6" Stack Dodge dually pulling a multiple Side by Side hauler trailer with the duals on LRr GONE, studs broken rotor ground to crap and road scarred, most likely from doing burnouts when empty to impress his dumb-ass buds. Not a mile behind that was a boat trailer with the axle fried to the point the stub was pointed UP, hub and tire gone. These people do NOT have a clue to keep anything maintained.
When I was a kid we were driving in a 74 Ford Torino station wagon. We stopped for gas, and when leaving the rear bumper hooked a gas hose. It twisted the pump around and tore it up! I think that is one of the reasons for the modern bumper design and the breakaway hoses.
Boat trailer every year gets repack wheel bearing grease. Other trailers, every few years regardless of mileage. I see boat trailers beside the highway with fried wheel bearings, but more often little Tractor Supply new trailers.
Here is another example of Stupidity. That is a 55 foot hydro pole. The spool it is sitting on is rotten, The rack at the back of the cab is light wall tubing, It would hold a ladder or something light. They were going to drive north over 500 miles on a rough stretch of the Alaska highway. The rack would have collapsed from the weight as well as the spool. And to top it off it was one of my co-workers that loaded it for them. He got a letter of warning on his personnel file.
Wife and I were headed home from Auburn today and passed a mid 2000's Chevy 1500 with a 25-30' gooseneck RV trailer behind it. Rear tires were knuckle deep in the fender wells on the rear end. Crossed over the hill and a state trooper had a 50' box trailer rig pulled over for some reason. Told the wife the trooper needs to be pulling that RV rig over as it's incredibly more unsafe than whatever that violation he was writing the truck driver up for.
The roads a crammed with vehicles towing trailers, so it's not surprising to hear about or see vehicles along side the road with issues. In a five mile stretch of highway I-82 to be exact {I had a service call 65 miles one way today at 1:30} I saw roughly 16 different pickups towing RV's or trailers loaded with toys. Speed limit is 70-I set cruise at 70. Every car, pickup truck, semi truck passed me including the ones towing RV's-guessing average speed 75 to 78.---Towing a Montana rolling **** house at 75 plus---Nuts.
They pull them 80 plus out here since the speed limit is 80 mph. Seen one on way to Billings MT to go buy my truck it had a bubble going on about 8’ wide 4’ tall by about 6 or 8’ long on the rubber roof, and another one with with the roof flapping in the wind. Just think 70 to 80 plus, plus a calm 10 mph head wind and you got hurricane force winds ripping on it. Siding “might” stay on it or the roof but the stress on the frame itself is racking it and pulling on every screw on those 1 x 1’s wood framing or those 18 gauge or thinner aluminum square tubing if it has even that
I have seen a rubber roof bulging at legal speeds, let alone at high speeds or a headwind. Obviously air getting under it at the front edge, so it likely leaks water. RV repair is big business nowadays
My overload was the 3500 GMC /duramax/Allison combo over some really nasty hills this weekend. I overheated it after one of those plastic heater core adapters cracked. I did not scale it but suspect I was near 25,000 pounds. It was well within the tow and axle and tire and licensed tonnage, but simply not up to those hills. It was that catch-22 of not enough speed for cooling and the fan delays long enough to get fully engaged. This led to 30 degree temperature excursions. My Ram/Cummins setup will bounce up about 10 degrees and then the helicopter in front opens up and squashes the temperature gauge LOL! I replaced the cracked part and all is well now, but it is a trip I will not repeat. My Ram truck hitch won't take the weight and setup, but is far better set up to do that type of pull. I will pull the mini a short haul with my truck, but the tongue weight is too much for single rear wheel.
No more time for frip frap today-have a long tow to get-Series 60 14L lunched the bull gear, maybe latter.
@mekanik that hydro pole picture is about as dumb as it gets. they make nifty little trailers for those things!
At least they laid it down.
TS did you tow out a replacement? Like to know more about the failure. Safe travels !
Could a been worse.
Just got home-Bull gear/gear train in front structure decided it was done spinning around.
Not a overload, plus I forgot. This happened last weekend-I-84 east bound semi near the Huntington scales La Grande Or lost a set of duals off the trailer, hit the center divider bounced and into the windshield of a west bound semi. Killing the driver-O-DOT caught the driver down the freeway.
ugh I got passed by a can hauler making some rumbling at the trailer this weekend. probably was a tire but your don't know.
The best thing anyone can do is stay away from semi's on the freeway. Don't hang around them either pass or stay back.
a friend was trapped in one of those pull out right turn only lanes out of a grocery store and a dump truck spit off a tire and he just had to take it in the door. luckily there wasn't much energy left in it.
Are all manner of Gator Backs and full tread roll offs on the highways around here, have seen a few smaller tires COMPLETE with a rim in the ditches but luckily no larger units yet.
Reminds me of a time 20 years ago where my lady at the time and I were heading from Dallas back to Birmingham on I-20 on the east side of Texas. She was driving my 250 as I had a little too much fun the night before. Trucking along and a little Honda car in front hits a Gator and somehow sends it flying straight towards the passenger side of my truck. She only had time to hit the brakes, stay straight and brace for impact. Lady friend held the course and the Gator shattered the windshield and ripped the passenger mirror completely off. It could've been much worse however we did have to ride the rest of the way home with all the tiny glass slivers in the front seats. The windshield didn't completely come out thank God, that would've been a very sucky 5 hour drive.
Since I am in field service I do a lot of driving around Texas. And I am astonished from the amount of brake shoes I see on the highway. Once I even seen a dual leaning against the k-rail with brake drum still attached. Around here there are a ton of independent trucks that have been converted to dump trucks and rock haulers. These trucks are a d.o.t. inspectors wet dream. The problem is that no one is getting these trucks off the road. Maybe it's the mechanic in me. But I can't stand seeing things in disrepair especially safety items. My family and your family are driving on these roads and it pisses me off seeing unsafe trucks, trailers and poorly secured loads.
My uncle was fond of telling the story about driving his 2 sons' company truck down the local freeway and thinking to himself (He was a retired Teamster truck driver) haha someone lost a tire & wheel as the tire and wheel passed him. Just about that time he realized it was his tire . Said he just followed it until it flopped over on the shoulder, pulled up behind it and waited for road service to come get him. My windshield story involved a big Canadian goose sitting on the opposite shoulder near a lake and swamp at 55 mph with a car coming toward me. He spooked it first and it took off into my lane. I saw he was going to impact my windshield so I braked as hard as i dared, closed my eyes, held steady on the wheel and waited for the impact. I hit it, opened my eyes (fortunately I wear glasses) to a completely shattered windshield with my clothes, my lap and front seat full of crumbled safety glass. Got stopped on the shoulder and called the police. I lucked out, no damage to the sheet metal, just the windshield. Drove it about a half mile to a restaurant parking lot and asked to leave it overnight. Met the mobile glass guy there the next day. Found glass crumbles for months.
I tell people all the time I should have been a DOT inspector.
Last new service van I got, 1/2 moved in to it and taking it home for the first time, picked up a rock thrown from the tires of a tandem gravel truck. Just had time to close my eyes. Rock blew shards of glass off the inside of the windshield. Didn’t even have time to dirty my shorts. I was finding glass for the next several months. Cam
I worked at a gas station/ FULL SERVE back in the early 80's while going to high school and college. "What can I get you??" "Fill it up w/ the Ultra." Insert nozzle, start filling car, on to the next one........it was busy, right off a highway.......They would see you leave their car, and THINK OH I MUST BE DONE, HE LEFT...........and they haven't paid yet.......and drive off!! Watched that a few times!! LOL Also learned about the deadman valves under the pumps after a pickup w/ no bed came flying into the station and smacked right dead center into the pumps on a snowy evening. Didn't knock it over, just pushed it up a bit..........Econonmy, regular, and Ultra spraying everywhere. And thinking of it now.........hmmm, no bollards in front of the pumps. They are everywhere now.
Dad drove for thirty years. I learned somethings. I have attempted to drill this into my family’s head. When I’m riding shotgun and remind them it doesn’t always seem appreciated. Maybe it’s my abrasive delivery.
I had a good moment with my wife today @mks She did that thing, slowly creeping into the left turn lane at a light and this car behind us blasted the horn. I tried to not be abrasive but let her know that is how rear enders happen, and to swoop in there and get out of the way quickly. I told her it scares the hell out of me when driving the truck when a car just basically plugs the road unexpectedly.
It just baffles me how oblivious people are to theirs surroundings while driving. I swear some people purposely drive right at the tracks when i'm moving my hoe, I don't get it. I don't care how good you clean everything off, there is going to be some debris on the tracks and with the roads here, some of it's coming off at some point. But I do prefer those idiots to the one's who cut you off. Their mentally seems to be "if I get in front of you, it's your job to stop and not hit me". There was a trailer here last fall that lost a set of duals, bounced up onto roof of truck and pushed it in pretty good, driver ducked and was fine. There was also a convertor dolly that disconnected from tractor and crossed center line into a minivan and killed a lady. It's not all the cars though either. I had a close call when I started driving with a oversize load and pilot trucks. They were coming onto the highway at the bottom of the hill, coming out from behind trees onto a 100 km highway, with a massive tractor trailer and 3 pilot cars, no one was smart enough to figure "hey let's send one up the road to warn people coming this way". As I crested the hill I saw the first pilot truck pull out and was full on the brakes, it was the old 89 international at that time that wouldn't exactly stop great loaded on a steep decline. Tractor trailer follows, as well as both pilot cars they weren't even smart enough at the end to think "man that dump truck is coming pretty fast, maybe I shouldn't pull out? I couldn't even see the box on the last pilot vehicle by the end I was that close to them and was another truck that nearly rear ended me. Just absolute stupidity.
I don't have much faith or respect for most DOT here. It's nothing but a show and money grab. After each checkstop there's headlines like "100 unsafe trucks off the road" what they fail to mention is a truck with 1 tire at 89 psi is one of those "unsafe trucks" because it's an out of service. Sure they get some unsafe trucks off the road, but the bulk of it is stupid crap like a dump truck with a grain of sand in the sideboard, tire a hair low, or god forbid you have pre-trips in your truck that are too old and weren't turned in yet, etc. Very few of them know anything about trucks, many of the "mechanics" wouldn't be trusted by most to grease a dahm truck, let alone tell if it's safe. Also pisses me off they don't go after personal/recreational vehicles. Got a pickup and skidsteer? Getting pulled over. Pickup and RV no matter how sketchy it looks? Have a nice day, not going to bother you.
I was on I-84 Westbound out of the Dallas to Portland passing a dump truck and pup load with what looked like 3” or 4” rock. Saw one roll off the back, hit the road and bounce up. I had no where to go on a holiday weekend with both lanes full so somehow managed to modulate the throttle and have the rock land between the windshield and sunroof in my little Subaru. That car had a nasty little dent there for as long as I owned it. Could have taken out my future wife.
Funny is STILL Funny, where several years back, watched one of these Lane Blockers pull out to pass a semi on my way into work on I-70, long straight stretch and she just hanging at the L Rr corner then slowly started to ease forward around the Cattle Rack and then it happened. I see a Javelin of **** blow out thru one of the side holes, either calf or young cow had gotten backed up to the side vent holes and either had scour or just upset but a full bucket load launched and hit her(KNOW was a Her as Car Top was DOWN) Windshield, **** everywhere, off on the inside shoulder, swerving in the lane, Brake Lights, and me laughing while trying collision avoidance. She got off the highway to the outside shoulder and I drove Right on by!!!!
People, usually Subaru drivers, or very old people in Ford LTDs drive me crazy drifting to a stop ever so gradually, then turning across the turn lane stopped with their ass still in the thru lane. When I'm behind, they get the horn! Drivers turning right who come to a complete stop before turning are another particular irritant. Come to think of it,......almost every inconsiderate driver pi$$es me off, especially if they drive a Subaru. Here, about 20% of total vehicles are Subaru. More like 50% of irritating, thoughtless drivers drive Subaru. Nearest city, Rutland has a stretch of US Route 7 that leads to the western end of Route 103. Invariably there are people driving in both lanes side by side at 40 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, Dozens of cars pile up behind. I want a rocket launcher to obliterate them!
No creature is faster than a cow $hitting. If you don't believe me, drop a screwdriver behind one. No person in the world is quick enough to pick it up without getting **** on.
I use to stand at the ready with a scoop shovel in the milk barn, as the tail would start to raise I would catch it before it splattered on the floor.
Back when you were very quick, can you still do it?
No because you can't get me near a milk barn or livestock. Had my fill of that.
yeah that's a pretty easy habit to break The thing my wife did we were doing 40 when she did it, it was dangerous. She wants to help me drive the truck and trailer and I have to keep telling her no I'm fine I'm good. She does okay but she still is unaware of what's going on behind her and that's not cool. I think that's the single biggest problem is people are just not in their mirrors.
One I'm proud of: Our youngest son travels internationally in his work, with a good bit of time spent in less-developed areas in Africa. His employer put him through a defensive driving school, including being in a car while it was rolled over by the instructor. His recent comment to me about my driving: "Dad, your bubble (area of situational awareness around the car,) is a lot bigger than most people's."
My 'Bubble Area' encompasses up to 1/2 mile ahead in daylight, what can see in mirrors in daylight and all the lanes activities going on anywhere near to me. At night I do not fixate but monitor headlamps and tail lamps around me, watching for signal lamps. Wife is always asking why I slow down when nothing immediately around us, then she will spot the incident occurring not far down the road and go 'Oh'.
Yes, look far down the road and let your peripheral vision take care of everything in between, and to the sides. And, fixating on the car far ahead impairs depth perception appreciably. Constantly looking left, right, and in the mirrors provides better depth perception.
Agreed!-It takes practice and with every mile it becomes a natural part of driving, which will carry through for the rest of ones life, and in return will save your life and others. Being tense behind the wheel is probably one of the worst things a person can do-there already distracted and reaction time is slow and or it causes a over reaction. Be aware but be relaxed, you will handle a situation much better.
Little things like a truck a half mile ahead moving left. We know why he is doing it, and move over without even seeing why.
As harvest approaches, time to sharpen up ones "A" game. Not for the farmers, but all the impatient morons that can't wait. Ed
No doubt Oversize combine and grain carts on the roads self propelled or on trailers have really increased here, clouds of dust too thick to see thru appropriately blowing across the highways, grain trucks or tractors entering and leaving the roads where warning or indication lamps may not be enough visible, and the impatient turds that have to blow around, know their car or pickup is faster than it really is or their response capabilities are over valued and they really do not have to be anywhere all that important.
One thing i dont like is at harvest time farmers moveing their stuff after dark. Its hard to tell just how much of the road they are taking up with all their super bright lights and flashers. I like to eat so every one needs to work together on the road but around here most dont start combining till the dew burns off so i would move my circus right after sun up.
There's new combine setting along side hyw 12 just west of here at Lowden. A car hit it head on in the left dual set broke the axle housing, not sure if it killed the driver of car but combine had no pilot cars.
Around here farmers do what ever they want. 4 axel manure tanks that have so much crap on the backs that you cant see the back lights all night and the tank blocks the tractor lights. Really fun coming up in those at night doing 90kmh. Combines been moved at night with the head on and no pilot cars. I love when you see a mini van pulling double hay wagons. I work for and with lots of farmers and cant stand what they get away with just because they have slow moving triangle on the back of the tractor.
A friend met a car in the middle of the freeway overpass. He had a Stieger, disk and packer...The woman got out screaming...."You have to back up!!". Tom calmly told her it wasn't going to happen and he had all day....she turned around. Lol. Ed
That happened to me on a narrow back road. Steep ditches, barely wide enough for my 8650, cultivator and crowfoot packer. Older couple pulled right up to me in an old crown vic and just stared. I slowed to a crawl, started pointing for him to go backwards. He stopped, I stopped. I was about to get out when he relented and backed up a bit to a nearby driveway. I passed and got the evil eye the entire time.
About the same response when a semi is at a four way signaling a right turn and a car to his right wants to make a left and won't move.
That road job I did last weekend, there is no way I would want to live up that 3/4 mile "driveway". It got put in with no thought about that, and is single track wide and on a grade. There is not a single decent turnout for 1/4 mile in one area. Two trailered rigs meet on that and it will be a bad day.
The first thing I would have to do is have a meeting, get $$ for dozer and finishing rock, and carve out/cut/fill/balance a few turnouts. I would not be popular
https://imgur.com/FSQ2art some disassembly required.
Not to knock Fords but they and others didnt think about rust. A little rust and theres nothing connecting the body to frame. Years ago some friends came to town in a hurry they didnt make the corner at the city park. They were driving a earyly 70s F150. The cab came off the frame the front clip came off and apart it was in several pieces covering a big area.
And when you recognize this situation and hold back the sitting in the seat cuts off the oxygen to their brain driver behind you drives around and forks it up.
Watch the driver get out of the wreckage and chase the chassis
kind of like what we used to call a yard sale on the ski slopes when all your gear just comes off in a large debris area.
LOL. One time we rented a 300 Kobelco with hammer for a gas station project. Lowboy driver picks machine up in Memphis and makes the 3-4 hour trip to central AL. Project was at a signalized intersection on a 4 lane divided highway. Truck had more flashing lights on it than a rear wheel steer fire ladder truck. Driver had to pull through the intersection then back into site using both lanes. Of course none of the cars behind him gave him an inch as they all rushed up to the lowboy crosswise in the street with all the lights flashing as the truck was backing up. Driver set the brakes, got of the truck yelled “I have to use the real estate your sitting on to back in, you can all back up or sit here, I’ve got all day”. We laughed our ass’s off watching those folks try to back up. Since it was a divided hwy with curb and median they couldn’t go around.
Not much different than trying to bump a dock that's located on a arterial in any big city across the U.S. Traffic comes to a halt.
Wasn't exactly an overload... Buddy forgot to tighten lug nuts on his horse trailer. He figured something was amiss when his two driver side wheels of the tandem passed him on the highway. He left his mark on the highway as he pulled to the shoulder. I had my trailer to take his horses & wife back home. As CM1995 experienced, drivers won't give an inch or slow down. I called the state highway patrol to help. Troopers parked his car with flashers in the right lane to give us some space to off load & transfer the animals. I figured calling the HP before unloading was prudent because they were gonna get called anyway if we lost control. Trooper agreed and was most helpful.
Good call hossp, the last thing a HP wants to do is chase critters around on the highway.
Plenty of ratchet straps and you can get anything home.
LOL! hard to tell what is holding what there
Nylon strap across the cutting edge is always a good plan! Almost as good an idea as doing it with a chain!
I sure hope all the horses were alright. They weren't draft horses, a fellow here had an old rusted out trailer. He had a contract with a ski area for off season horse rides. Hauling 30 miles, he had a failure of the floor framing. 2 or three, I can't remember, fell through enough they had to be shot. The suffering of those animals being dragged, who knows how far before anyone noticed drives me crazy!
I don't really care for horses, but still a animal relying on the owners care, that's really sad and sick at the same time. I hope someone took it upon themselves to kick that man's ***.
All are holding the tractor together, can't tell what holds it on the itty bitty trailer.
yeah I didn't need to hear that
Looks like one of those little UHaul car hauling trailers.
Is the GM in the background the tow vehicle?
Absolutely, it's all part of that rural dump.
The tires don't look flexed at all. And there is at least one strap through the operators station holding it to the trailer. Real Sketchy..
When your backhoe is larger then the trailer you're trying to tow it on you may be a redneck lol. At least they broke two new straps out for the project though.
No offence-but calling that a operator station? That rather unique cab/umbrella or whatever one would call it and using a popular term for describing it{ It's Soooo Bad ***} the whole place is scrap iron.
I like how they take a perfectly good wall and destroy it with a AC through it instead getting a ductless mini split or at least putting it in the window in the house.
Granted, I was being a little generous with my description, but you did know where to look... I'll definitely agree that that place needs to go into a scrap yard.
Nah, it was a Toyota Hilux....
A controlled over weight load, 1,640,000lb.
Six trucks with that weight divided up amongst them is 273,333 lbs a piece not including the weight of the rigs and the weights for traction. Lets see an electric truck pull that off in the dead of winter.
Locomotives are electric motored-but who knows.
Let's change the terminology a little. The electric part is not the problem. Electric trucks could work fine. The battery is the problem. If it had an overhead catenary wire it could work fine. Of course with a load like that, it might be hard to get clearance.
Well in the case if those particular trucks what is being used for traction weight could be removed and rather monstrous batteries take there place.
I'm not sure I understand how weight is transferred equally to all axles, maybe air suspension? We see giant transformers on US Route 7. They are a series of semi trailers with huge frames to pass the weight to mid point of each. I'll have to count next time, 16 axles if I remember. Those of course are small compared to this load.
I count 476 tires between trucks and trailers. I bought 8 drive tires a while back, I thought that sucked.
LOL boss is buying 8 for the trailer tomorrow. The current tire date codes are atrocious!
I just bought 300.
The one's I've been around were hydraulic suspension. Most of them, the axles are all steering axles. Some have hydraulic drive sections. If I remember right, the one I was around was a Goldhofer.
That's why I can't get any of those Yokohama you like so much you gobbled them all up! Now I'm stuck with the off-brand tires
Ahh nothing wrong with that other than where's the guy with the 2 orange flags waving frantically beside the forklift?
I heard the fork truck driver ask if he wanted the load split between both sides and the guy said no, I only have one ratchet strap.
Well this is not one I saw in person but it's a screen grab of a Youtube post by a person riding around Southern Africa by motorcycle, This one was just out side the capital of Zimbabwe. One of those times you would be glad you had that second cup of coffee before heading out in the morning. No side racks with bags stacked high. Another view, looks like the load was held on with four ratchet straps!
It looks like that load Zimm'ed and Bob'ed Away.
Surprised that the looters aren't swarming over it already.
Well it happens right here in the states too- 1988 Grant county side of Vantage bridge semi rolled on the curve. Beer every where, people stopping and packing off case after case. 1989 mp 4 I-82 semi crashed with several other vehicles-full load of cigarettes. Everybody was packing them off including law enforcement and emt's and dot. FBI showed up made everyone put all cigs back. Each pack was unstamped and federal tax was unpaid. It was fun watching the men in blue get caught looting.
I'd never steal cigarettes. Not likely I'd scoop up beer. Now, a truckload of Jim Beam, or Jameson's, I might be tempted.
I couldn't care if it were Glenlivet, ain't mine didn't pay for it. Besides I haven't drank for 13 years, waste of time. IMO
You sound like my father: "If it don't belong to you, LEAVE IT ALONE! I've always followed that advice......with a few exceptions. Excavator left early on a home renovation job, left too much dirt on the uphill side of a million dollar house. A big thunder storm hit, water was running in a cellar window. I used the excavator to divert the water. Same business owner (excavator), different job, we arrived to pull cable, no operator. I used excavator to bury the end of the conduit. Cell phones don't much work where I work.
There's that puppy!
CAREFUL, Might get that NEW Mochine Dirty!!!
She has been working hard.
This one?
Need a new welder to work on that. Welder at the factory must have been in a hurry to go on break.
OOPS!! Now is scratched too!!
Sheared off the bolts.
Was starting to spin on the green road so I backed out & the D8 kept pulling. POP!
Were those grade 8 bolts?
What is notable is a Gr8 will snap before a Gr5, those will distort first then break. Would step up to Flanged Head Frame Bolts and Nuts(Fine Thread), Increase Diameter from what appears a 5/8"? to a full 3/4"., if were only 1/2" then go to 5/8", build a stouter bracket for the bumper more like a Crossmember then can REALLY tear some **** up!!
I can't hit the like button on that-I would have thought those brackets would be 1/2" with 3/4" bolts.
Most truck bumper attachments are pretty underwhelming, which is kinda nice when they need to come off for major service work bad when cabled up to a piece of dirt equipment.
I agree-but that truck is hardly your everyday hauler. On a rig like that weight isn't a issue.
Yeah that's a truck that def needs good bumper brackets.
You won't believe it but the caliper measures those bolts at 15/32 across the thread. Absolutely insane that is what they used to mount that with and a skinny 5/16s thick bracket. It should be 3/4 inch bolts as stated above just like what is used to hold the hitch into the center of the bumper. Kenworth will be hearing from me Monday morning for sure
10.9 hardened bolts. Great for doing what they did.....shear.
Yeah I fixed a bumper on a truck a little while back that goes off road and tugged on with loaders and graders a lot, had a mix of 10.9 and G8 bolts that were snapping, we straightened up the brackets and reamed the holes for 3/4" G5.
My bumper hitch plate I custom built and I thought I under built for my straight truck with my camper on it has beefier bolts than that and thicker plate by double . Guess I need to put it on my semi since it has no rear bumper hitch. Nice rig btw, it looks like it can take a beating except that part
She pulls like a good mule with the aux box & 4.56's. Gets around well too. Even without a bumper!
My experience with washers used with frame bolts is-- it doesn't work. It just adds two more places to slip. Why manufactures went back to that had to be cost cutting-my guess. I only use course thread flange bolts with stover flange nuts. There spendy but way less trouble.
Like this…
Also use black( unplated) phosphate coated bolts. Plating usually makes bolts somewhat brittle. Bolts usually break in the threaded area or under the head. Over the years there has been a problem with counterfeit bolts and i always look for the manufacturer's identifying mark when looking at a failed bolt. It used to be that the CAT bolts were the best locally. Its probably still true. In some applications i will use a longer bolt so the shear area is not in the threaded area and then cut off the extra length. But i agree, the brackets and hardware were too light for the application
Why would you build a bumper out of 1/2, frame with double 3/8, tow pin mounted with 3/4 and use a 7/16 bolt & 5/16 bracket to mount it with is beyond me.
I just went out and looked at the yoke on the '67 KW- I'm pretty sure if you pulled it off not only would you have the bumper but an 855 Cummins also.
That's the reason you get a C500, he'll if I wanted chinsy I woulda gotten a 660!
That's a shame to scrape up that nice new bumper. For a silver lining- just be glad it didn't happen in a spot where you really needed something hooked onto you, to keep you from sliding off a edge or on a steep turn- then things could have been ugly. Add more iron and bigger bolts, maybe KW will respray the bumper?
KW already had those brackets on hand-and used on a tractor for standard service.
I sent photos to my salesman and he couldn't believe the light duty brackets & hardware. We will be contacting Brett in upper level management @ KW Renton tomorrow
Not sure what trailer and truck that guy had, but my F450 with 15 ton goose neck would be right at the limit for 22K load. However, getting the pin light enough to not exceed the RAWR is tricky. Point is, that truck may not be WAY over if it even is. My F450 has a GCWR of a bit over 42K, truck is 9500, trailer is 10700.
No, it doesn't, not even close.
Not an overload, just plain dumb, and I was the lucky guy behind him. Is your arm considered an approved DOT tie down???
Provided it’s tattooed, the answer to that would be a yes.
A couple years back I watched a guy try just about the same with a 4X8 sheet of 1/4 plywood at the Home Depot. He actually got out of the parking lot before he lost it!
@Hallback that is why it was drummed into my head to do EVERY POSSIBLE THING to avoid hooking heavy iron to trucks. I was not as swift as the guys who were learning me this. Being a farm kid who just 'got it done', it took a lot of pounding I remember I built a dam across the irrigation runoff ditch and had all my toys out there, army men, dozers. I had a boat launch, roads, wood block buildings. I was probably 8~10. My older brother was tilling with the mitsubishi, and stood up to admire all my handy work. He was not aware of how big a soft spot I had made in the berry field and stuck the tractor hard. Dad chained the pickup to the tractor and two cars and all the rope and chain he could gather to get it out. Nobody was mad at me, they all liked the engineering and could see how brother could get stuck looking at it So I wanted to hook onto anything and less experienced truck drivers wanted me to, and that farm boy in my took a while to get calmed down. It all fell down to " you hook onto it, you break it, the boss buys it and you walk" When you own both sides of it, and the boss says do it, then I was in the clear. I guess what I am saying is, I don't give two craps about the size of the bumper bolts. The D8 guy stayed in, the truck guy let off, and I guarantee that something will break in that formula. There is just too much traction in those interlocked axles with ?? pounds over them, going uphill. The D8? Well yeah we know about that.
Only if said arm is tattooed with appropriate load rating and has had a test break prior. Attachment points (fingers) should also be tattooed with appropriate load rating along with all appropriate load rating documents.
Count the number of tattoo's and divide that by the number of teeth he has left-that will give his IQ.
I once knew an Emergency Room doctor. He made cracks about teeth to tattoo ratio of ER patients Saturday night.
Lol I love seeing stuff "tied" on the top of cars/suv's. My favorite was a couple years ago we were loading a bunch of sakcrete at the HD and spotted a guy with a screen door leaving the loading area on top of his car. We stopped to watch and as he turned on the the main road and accelerated the door folded over like a taco hahahaha.
I've seen a lot of mattresses tied on the top of some car with that puny yellow rope, one wrap around the middle. Of course the front catches the wind and is straight up in the air and the owner cruises along I am sure completely oblivious to the strain on the rope. But they somehow seldom break and fly away.
Picture this-I205 bridge out of Portland north bound, almost to the Washington side. Little Toyota in the the slow lane with the white twine around the mattress barely holding. Must of been an extra gust of wind as I watched the twine snap and the mattress floated up and over the guardrail to the water below. People honked at them but they just kept going Or another time on I84 headed east and someone with a brand new double door fridge standing upright in a little pickup. Again the light twine tied around the fridge and the the open windows of the truck. I saw it bouncing around so backed way off. Next thing the fridge tumbled out of the truck and scattered pieces for days.
How about a pool table on a camery with two guy's in the back seat reaching out to hold in place. This last summer.
Points for creativity on X bracing and 2 ratchet straps.
Slightly above room temperature..?
3.20
WOW! I had no idea so many would like my post. 6 foot bed, 20 foot culvert. I had to figure out a way to get it to my land. I saved the framework. It folds up and I have it under a bus/camper waiting for the next need. Since then I acquired a care trailer that has a 16 foot bed so I might end up not using the framework fro the pickup again. I put it together with bolts and screws so it would be easy to re-purpose the materials.
I saw a new looking Dodge 5500 with a roll off trailer today. Weight sticker on the Dodge was 50k. Doesn't seem right.
I see a lot of stuff on the dash there, but I don't think it's overloaded. Built Ford Tough & all.
That picture above looks like the front 3rd of a 70 passenger school bus body.. Well, less the cowl, roof, and driver seating area. Jeff
Speaking of school buses-A guy got on a school bus in the Tri Cities a couple of days ago and stabbed the 72 year old driver to death. What in the hell is our society coming to. He did it in front of the kids on the bus.
Sounds personal, at least he didn't touch the kids.
No I think he was mentally f#$ked up on drugs.
More to that than you may think.... The medical profession has wondered for the last 40+ years why so many kids now have behavior issues, attention issues. With the legalization of marijuana here in Washington, the UofW Med School has been studying it and it's history now that people feel free admitting to it's use. Turns out that many parents of these kids used recreational drugs in their early years and there appears to be a possible correlation between the two. It will take another decade to see if that is correct. That could possibly mean another round of squirrely kids. the older of the first round are now approaching 50....
Wow, what a great argument for Constitutional carry!
The double frame rails on mine- come clear out the front to even with the pipe. And then some pipeliner got kinda serious welding from there on out. The inside of the pull hole has enough cable marks and grooves in it, that I know its been pulled on pretty hard. I think mine would be similar to crummy's, if the bumper goes, there's going to be a lot of other pieces laying around.
Pull into any scrap dealer yard and just watch sometime!! Idiots with all manner of loads unrestrained, admit while scratching their heads they lost pieces and do not understand why. The brain dead brainless or brain damaged are among us every day!!
Not to change this thread but who raised these idiot's-Boomers-who started the drug culture Boomers-who created the consumer age Boomers. It goes on and on. Oh-plus the idiots that can't tie down or stop over loading-Boomers created those too.
So I have a dumb question. What are those pieces of rod for that are welded to the front of that KW bumper?
And is that solid shaft through the grill guard? Weight not a worry if thats the case. 888 the unit number ?
Couple I have found on the interweb
Ahh- there's no dumb questions here! I'm guessing its for shoving the front end around with a trackloader/ dozer. If you need to push the truck back into a spot to get something, and need to move the front end as you're going, it would give the blade or bucket something to catch on, so you could push it left or right. Just to keep the blade from skinning down the front of the pipe bumper. Its a oilfield truck, and they were usually built for bad conditions, and the oilfield can be rough on things. I can easily see them trying to shove it back in a mudhole to pick up a skid, and then they would be pushing on the front. The oklahoma clay can get nasty.
I'm guessing its heavy wall oilfield drill pipe with caps on it, (just because there's usually a lot of that stuff laying around out there) but I honestly don't know. It could be shaft. I didn't build it, and I've never removed it. The 888 is actually B & B which was the name of the oilfield company I bought it from.
Saw this one today
on a hot **** lexus no less.
Hey come on now, that looks like a study desk, they're just trying to get the tools together to edjamacate themselves so that next time they'll know better.
if they had opened the rear doors and put the strap through to hook the ends together, they'd be fine. Hook the rear strap hooks inside the trunk, then close and connect.
On way to deliver 20t sand and get to Interstate 70, ALL Stopped, for this, they managed to get straightened out and then just Stopped, across the highway and blocking ALL traffic. I ended up swinging to shoulder and going around dead traffic. Truck is far Left, Flag at end of blade near to far Right.
Green energy...saving the planet by stalling traffic
We had to move/safe this gazebo for an addition. The gazebo was a pre fabricated kit and consisted of 4 equal parts. That's the reason for all the extra support under it. It stayed on site so no action shots of it scattered across the highway. Told people I was building our parade float.
Probably went to MacDonald's. Drive throughs are Hell with a truck!
Went to pick up oil sample bottles today. Got behind this guy at a stop light. I think the frame was sitting on the rubber cushions. It's a half ton pickup and a lot of plywood.
Went to get lunch today and while turning out of the place a guy turned in pulling a trailer with an almost full pallet of 80# sacks of crete on deck with no straps of any kind lol.
It's plenty heavy enough, wind won't move it any.
Years ago was following a MODOT Maintenance truck, saw a steel bucket of Something bouncing LOOSE but upright and edging toward rear platform so I moved to the furthest away lane. Moments later hit a expansion buckle and it launched, saw it rise then leave that truck, hit the roadway and the mass of 'Guardrail Bolts' in it exploded across I-70, several cars had blowouts I could see in mirror, truck kept on rolling as did I then turned off for their yard next exit. Later on News was report of "Unidentified Truck" dropped box of scrap metal and destroyed Dozens of tires and damaged dozens of cars/trucks. I called the news to correct them was blown off.
About 1976, we (Weyerhaeuser) were hauling logs up to Everett. In those days first load out was about 7 AM. I was about a dozen loads back in the chain. When we turned north from I 90 to I 405 all we saw were trucks and cars scattered all over the road. most on the shoulders but many in the right lanes. Apparently right in from of Weyerhaeuser's first truck that day a flatbed spilled an unsecured complete pallet of 1-1/2 inch roofing nails. No communications in those days, so nobody knew to avoid the mess. I had 3 flats, another truck had 6 most had between 2 and 3 flats. That was the Weyerhaeuser trucks only, there were hundreds of other cars, freight trucks,gravel trucks and WSP cars. As I was sitting there waiting for the tire shop to come out, WSDOT showed up with a truck and immediately had 2 flats. Later during the wait, they brought in a sweeper truck, you guessed it, flat tires all the way around. I 405 was tied up for a good 8 hours while they tried to clear cars and clean it up. There were a rash of flats there for another week or more as the nails kept popping up.
That same thing happened on the Selah gap to Yakima. About the same year too! I was working at the Arco and Tire King in Selah, and the tires started rolling in. I probably fixed 25 tires with roofing nails in them, before noon on a Saturday.
Svl 95 and cat 312
Stolen from FB.
That is a tough one to figure. Not a heavy trailer, a massive pintle (lunette ring). I saw it only once, local contractor kept buying bigger excavators, hauling them on tag along trailers behind dump trucks. One employee was scared to death there would be tragedy. There never was, but blown tires, failed bearings, broken springs, broken deck planks were frequent. One day the pintle ring broke off. Trailer & excavator in the brook. Boss blamed the driver, who had begged for a bigger rig.
In that picture of the broken-off ring, it looks like a small spot caused a stress fracture. Maybe that was the cause and not an actual overload
Looks good to me, i'd haul that. My 210 weighs a lot more then both of those machines....
Its not a actual pintle ring. That's a homebuilt neck, and from what I can see, that's a threaded lifting eye. They aren't made to be loaded up in that direction, and it sheared right where the threads start. A lot of the threaded lifting eyes aren't hardened and are really easy to bend, until you get to the big lifting rings with hardened bolts like the wind farm guys use.
That's starting to make sense. the trailer is not a heavy duty pintle hitch trailer either, look at the jack and stabilizer leg, maybe an arrow board? with a light duty pintle hitch to be able to tow it with construction vehicle, and hopefully not be stolen as easily.
This one's been doing the rounds on Facebook, anybody want to own up to it? I know it was one of you! Amazingly, it's accompanied by a video of it actually driving around!
I'm surprised the tires are holding air.
Weight till he pulls up and the bumper isnt resting on the bank.
I'd like to see him/her load it off the ground without a ramp................
How far apart are the track frames on that dozer. In the photo it looks like the groupers are inside the box. Is that possible that both tracks could fit on the inside of the box? I'm just wondering if there might be some photoshop involved in the picture?
I thought the same, until I saw a video of it actually driving around.
The video can be found here, but you may need to join the Facebook group to see it. The bed is full of timber, so the dozer is sitting on top of that https://m.facebook.com/groups/2835027433482185/permalink/2993914554260138/
That explains a bit, I couldn't see how the bed sides could support the weight.
The 55 year old who owns a paving company, built his own rock quarry, asphalt plant, and a sizeable company, was once a teenager. At about age 17, he bought a new Ford 350 dually. I saw it parked one day with a John Deere 350 dozer in the bed. A 350 weighs about 13000. With winch, the truck bed wasn't long enough. about 1/3 of the tracks were hanging out.
More like lack of proper tie downs
Hey, he didn't have time, he was too busy picking up dropped bales from the truck in front of him to tie them down properly. At least he was cleaning up the road.... Yes, there is a story behind that, I was riding with my uncle and we kept seeing bales of hay in the road. Being he was a waste not want not type of farmer, we started picking them up. We had better than a dozen bales on the truck when we saw another flatbed stopped with only half a load of hay on it and a driver with consternation written all over his face. We just blew right on by, uncle said: "Take your chances and pay the consequences." We drove on down the road a bit and secured his new found hay.
Is it a John Deere 450? Standard tracks are 58" outside to outside. Would crush the wheel wells, but fit between the sides.
You didn't get the memo? Stacked hay would never go anywhere lol. I see about 1 rancher/horse person a month on the side of the road picking up bails off the road. Not a strap in sight.
A while ago there was one of those massive round bails sitting in the ditch at the corner before the scales here. Not sure if it "fell off" to not be overweight, or fell off from not being tied down. Sure wouldn't want to hit one of those though.
I lost track who it was. Lead singer from some 1980s musical group. Somebody left a round bale out in a steep meadow. It rolled downhill, across a road & killed the guy as he was driving past. Happened a few years ago. Locally it's rare for anybody to tie them down in any way. Some have special round bale wagons, each bale gets a gap between two bars to settle into.
I'm not sure I see a problem. 13-14 ton excavator & 4 ton loader on a 25 ton trailer. I don't know about the trailer rating of the truck? Tie down seems lacking. I understood a bucket needs to be chained also. A fellow I occasionally work with bought a new excavator 18 years ago. I asked before I saw it what it weighs. He said 20 tons. That's all you can haul with a pintle trailer. I'll have to ask again. It seems I see more & more 25 & 30 ton trailers behind tandem dump trucks.
There are 25 and 30t tags, takes a very different pintle hitch and ring, Six bolt or Eight bolt pintle is rated higher and I believe the ring is considerably thicker cross section with a spring damper.
If the bales are firm and tied tight( the guy making the bales has to do a good job) then if they are stacked correctly and interlocked they can stay put reasonably well. We mostly only hauled across the fields back to the yard. There was a lot of incentive to stack them correctly as it was even more work to have to re-load if any fell off. We were happy to work with round bales back in the mid 70's. They were a lot faster to make but more expensive to feed because you had to start a tractor every morning.
When you know each dip and bump and control those crossings, it is amazing what will stay in place with no tiedowns.
Busy Morning so far, fella we hauled dirt to for the employer had a sand stone slab area he had reduced for yard space, I picked up around 1/3 of what he had excavated today for my own use. Thinking maybe 8-12t On Trailer, 5.2 miles door to door.
Love it! I got some slabs from an un named location that were just going to be tossed in a dump truck and trashed. I rented a cheap ex to unload them.
I will be scoring these with a compound blade then starting at center chisel lightly full across to fracture and slab off what I want for edging stones.
That stuff is tender! An abrasive saw, diamond blade, with water feed will make clean cuts. By the time you score it, it'll break.
Thanks
Yeah thanks I was wondering how one would cut this stuff I got same rocks as you and can vouch for the tenderness. Picked up 5 loads couple days ago myself.
Towing a trailer too. Didn't get the pic fast enough to show that
This truck really had it out for that car. https://es.memedroid.com/memes/detail/2446559
Scrappers have been more active of late, hauling into a yard outside of Warrenton MO, there have been MoDOT inspectors stationed along the N Outer Road for several weeks doling out citations for overloads to unsecured loads to unsafe materials conditions(No Brakes or Lights functional on Trailers), ending with many of the more severe towed to impound lots with License removed. About time.
Heard today these Targeted Scrappers thought they would slip one over on MoDOT Inspectors, shaved the GVWR Tags off of several pickups, lighter 2 ton trucks to sneak by Overloaded, out came the MoDOT Specs Books by Manufacturer and Model types, BONANZA Ticket Day!!!
W va was on one of those small truck ticket kicks last year.may still be
Not sure this is legal......
About as legal as this
You need more tires
Actually DOT here would ticket you for that strap on the rear.
colorado would find something wrong with it
They don't seem to have the lift axle down.
Not here. It's all relative. That is one of two straps on the rear, either one could hoist the whole thing up The issue with that little thing is a total lack of good tie down points.
I about died laughing when the dealer delivered this blade runner on 10 axles! It would have been legal on 6.
Then there is the driver who runs with drop down on empty refer trailer.
I see 14 yard tandem trucks carrying 17 yards all day. They have an added axle, but I've almost never seen one down. I'll presume they only come down when they see the TRUCK INSPECTION sign. Like aircraft wheels, a set of tires rots off before they wear out.
When the tag is dropped at speed it has a tendency of flat spotting the tires.
Thought you said you had a big excavator...
Not me, I'm a logger not a dirt fag.
Not a overload-but half of the day was real depressing. Coming back to shop from a far off service call cruising along doing speed limit following 400 yards or so back from a semi in front. Chevy Yukon come up behind me and passed. It got right up behind the truck ahead and kept darting out looking to pass. Then it started to pass-head on into a early 90's ford pickup, both at 65 plus. I stopped grabbed my phone and a couple of towels. The guy driving truck I told to direct traffic, person in pickup died instantly. The driver of the chevy passed on in only a few minuets if that. I'm not a religious man but I said a prayer for both and last rights. People--can someone tell me what the hurry is about.
Had two morons pass me today(Was doing 60) on a No Passing Double Yellow, on two lane blacktop 55mph limit, IN THE DARK. Got toward Big Spring MO and they BOTH turned off on Hwy Y, pulled into a Anhydrous Pipeline station not a half mile in. NO NEED to pass for them to get there within seconds of when did.
I have been seeing that kind of stuff more and more, witnessed several near misses. Two have nearly hit me. I don't know what the deal is. That is a terrible story, I for one appreciate the part about the prayer.
Almost had one hit me head on yesterday, I would of survived easily but they wouldn't. Raining yesterday going down rock and clay road, I came over a hill headed home from CDL test instead of them slowing down they're still doing about 50 mph when I seen their truck go sideways, only thing saved them I was doing 20 mph and they had time to correct before hitting me.
That's a good thing. Here no straps on equipment no matter what.
Says the one who spends all day playing with wood.....
That's terrible TS, I am sorry you had to see that.
Sorry to hear that, rather awful situation, someone making a foolish decision that started it all and caused so much havoc. I think the hurry is the ME generation, not worried about anyone else.
Here, it's most often license plates other than green, often BMW or Mercedes, maybe Lexus. 50 MPH 2 lane, not a lot of places with dotted center stripe. Average flow of traffic is 60, ten miles over limit. These people are CRAZY! They pass in no passing zones with oncoming traffic. Typically, somebody has to take the breakdown lane to avoid a wreck.
I don't think the worst part is people being impatient. It's how stupid people are and how little they pay attention. Years ago I was in an accident where a guy leaving a parking lot turning left just drove right into the side of my truck. Like straight into the side of the box, not icy, not dark nothing just not paying attention at all. A bad driver is always a hazard on the road whether or not they are speeding or driving erratically, sometimes the slowest drivers are the most dangerous. I don't know how many close calls i've had with people doing 20+ under the limit on a clear dry summer day it causes a huge hazard of people trying to get around them and backing up traffic, if you're not comfortable doing within 5 mph of the speed limit and there isn't a reason for it like being a semi, you shouldn't be on that road. Closest call i've had was a bike coming towards me trying to pass, I don't think he was back in his lane for 2 seconds before we met. I was driving my dump truck pulling my 210 hoe, not sure how anyone can see 90,000 pounds coming towards them at 55 MPH and think "good time to pass". The part that really pissed me off about it is I think a lot of other drivers would have swerved into the ditch or shoulder, potentially writing off the rig, maybe even killing themselves because someone else did something stupid. I didn't budge on the steering wheel, I did let off the accelerator to slow down a bit but that's all i'm doing. If someone is dumb enough to pass and come at me head on in the semi, unless it's a lot bigger truck i'm staying in my lane because it's the safest option.
That's a tough day truck shop. The guys I know in the departments around here say its the hardest part of the job.
I'm with you 100%. I got my class "A" August 5th, 1981. I held it until my accident August 25, 2015. I've hauled everything except people and livestock. One of the hardest yet most important bad habits to overcome is yanking on the steering wheel. I've lost count of the number of animals I've run over holding my line. As tempting as it was to jerk on the wheel to avoid a dog or cat, I'm not about to risk my life for some animal. The same went for anything or anybody that was about to invade my space. Turn a truck over, you're likely gonna die. Jerking on a steering wheel is a sure way to kill yourself. Since having my license revoked 6 years ago, I've had no desire to get a cdl. In fact, not having a cdl is kinda like taking taking a huge dump. What a relief! I never realized how stressful doing heavy haul work was until I stopped doing it.
Years ago dealing with those situations when operating a tow truck I saw my fair share. And it doesn't make it any easier. When it comes to a emergency situation while driving a person can say what they would do before hand, but if it happens in most all cases that thinking goes out the window because your in the {now}.
Are too many buried deep inside I will not let out from Volunteer fire and from wrecker driver over the years. Blood and gore do not bother me much until I am away from the carnage where can think on it, not a good point in time. Have seen death come, seen dead being removed from cars, even set sheet across faces that needed no more comfort, do not want to go there anymore.
The worst one I saw was 3 of my dad's crew pinned in a service truck that they crashed as it burned. They were already burned to death but afterwards you could see the grooves in the sheet metal of the door where they were clawing trying to get out. What made it even worse is I asked my dad and the owner of the company to let me ride in the service truck with the guys that morning as we were finishing breakfast at the Cafe. We were going to move a yarder. I was 12 years old at the time.
Sorry, double post.
Can't hit the like button on that Hallback. People are in too damn big of a hurry worried they might miss something that never was. It's not just driving it's in their everyday life. Going no where. The stupid phrase {time is money} if your dead or caused someone else's demise [Really was it worth it?} Life is rather short, think of it as a hour glass. The sand in mine is getting lower by the minute.
I had a friend in my youth who had been hurt in a crummy wreck in the mountains of southern Oregon. He had a 2" lift in one shoe to replace the bone he lost in his leg. Those roads are particularly unforgiving.
That sand in the hour glass isn't for certain, at anytime it can be shattered and all the sand pours out everywhere. So live to the fullest as if the hour glass doesn't exist. Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone ~Pablo Picasso
I did something stupid a few days ago... I let frustration get the better of me. Two lane interstate with a single car camped in the left lane. Holding up traffic with a mile of clear road ahead of her. I cut it too close, passing her on the left at high speed trying to squirt by between cars in the right lane. I would have been at fault if I misjudged the distances...
I just set the cruise on my morning today, you are right TS.
That's cute! Just load and go, no hanging signs or nuttin.
That's a damn nice KW Hallback, Maybe someday I will make it your way and talk you into taking me for a ride in it.
I bet it doesn't have a buckboard on the passenger side either!
Thanks buddy, keys are all yours.
I don't know how to address that, I guess I'll take it as a compliment. Thanks.
I'd be packing a bag!!!
I want to shake loose and get a look at that truck soon myself. I have to run down to the beach property on Sunday the 7th to put a sign up to sell it but I don't think @Hallback wants to come to work on a Sunday
Truck is sitting at the shop anytime you want to stop by and check it out.
Hell, there are a few old beaters there ya might want to look at. I seem to have a knack for collecting junk.
Still shot from my dash cam. This fuq stick passing me as I’m doing 75 mph in North Dakota as if I’m standing still!
Speed up and tail gate everyone else does, New highway safety figures-deaths are up 18%. I don't see any North Dakota trees-power poles.
West side of the state where the National Grasslands are at and where the buffaloes roam
The blade caught a side breeze and launched the truck up to 100.
But where is everything? I would for sure fall asleep driving there.
They snapped a chalk line.
Put a little concave to the road and you have a self driving truck.
ATS truck?
That was a rush shipment to replace the one the train took out.
I seen a buffalo digging in the dirt if that counts as if anything to see there. Actually after bit of driving when I got into Montana they were getting off in Glendive MT heading north, I think they are making a loop around to north side of Miles City for the wind farm going up over here. Thankfully I can't see it from here or I would be tempted to shoot a round through the motor and I can't see them on the way into town so I'm good for now.
{Ralph I'm tell 'in yuh we need more of them there drop axles we should be able to loader on up to 50 ton net. All we need is a few more axles and a moron to drive it. Look at the money were going to make and save altogether.}
The tarp tells the whole story but I wonder how long the cab guard was bumping the cab when the frame crack started cause that didn't happen overnight
Of coarse it didn't, over a period of time. Lack of scheduled maintenance/inspections during service and daily inspections
First time I've ever seen a third drop axle on the ground!
Did anybody notice the fellow behind the truck with his notebook out? It took me a couple of looks to get beyond the truck itself. That ticket will kill a couple dozen trees to print.
that thing was Macksed out.
Got stuck behind a big rack on 405 in Bellevue today. Lots of fire trucks and fire chiefs and ambulances. I get up there and they've cut the roof off of an SUV they look so odd just sitting there on the ground.
He was on his cell checking how many friend requests he had on face book.
Betcha it's broke right where the lift cylinder attaches to the frame. Lot of point load weight when the box goes up. A friend had an old aluminum frame Pete dump that did that
That's a good sized box on that mack. The picture seems to suggest more than one bent point in the frame? The box, the cab and fuel tanks, and the front frame/ hood/ engine area seem to be on three different lines. Maybe broke behind the cab and the impact of the it hitting bent the area forward of that?
JB weld'll fix it.
Nawww, just a tilt nose Mack and they put the latches on backwards..
WS Dealer brought out a wagon for the boss to look at, useless to his operation, 40 tonner commercial zone machine. Side steel of bed stood a good 4-6" taller than the dumper I drive, then had Two 2x10s above that, in no way anything less than a Quarry loader could cross that height. 4900 series WS, two drop axles on Super Single tire and no kingpins/non steerable tire scrubbers.
It baffles me who specs out some of these trucks. My brother bought a new WS tandem 2 years ago off lot, light spec 350hp Cummins spring suspension, super tall box sides, and to make it worse 24.5 rubber. It's easily 12"-16" higher sides then most other trucks with air bags. Absolute nightmare to load with smaller equipment. Spring suspension I get some people prefer, but 24.5 rubber makes absolutely no sense and you should be going with a wide box, not a narrow one to keep the height lower on a lighter truck.
I don't see low trucks like mine for sale anywhere. Losing it would be a deal breaker with the 35 mini.
Hard enough to load the box on the unit I drive with a 963 Cat or a 310 Deere, will be at full legal load and only see a small speck above side boards while in loaders seat. 963 would not get high enough to clear the pig they brought down, loading ramp was suggested but that only works for large sites and jobs.
yes and so easy to overload those trucks unless you are sitting on a hoe above them.
He's got tall sideboards, but he's probably got the wheelbase to make bridge with it. It sure wouldn't be handy on a tight jobsite, or backing into a alley.
Where's the knuckle boom with grapple?
needs a knuckleboom with a clam bucket
Or a 68 inch studio sleeper.
Or a porch swing hung from the cab protector.
Just put a drom on it to haul the five gallon buckets of dipping sauce and fridge for the corndogs.
Does this count?
lol convertible van.
He remembered to grab his lunch pail before going home with his crew
I thought he was grabbing his key as well.
I hope he at least waited until after they refilled it .
God, I wish I could have seen this happening. A few well placed rounds would prevent countless future thefts. Thieves should die. The other option is Arab law; You steal, we cut off your hand. You steal twice, we cut off your other hand. After that you won't steal.
It's the fault of insurance.. Stealing today is taking from the faceless corp giant. Stealing used to be taking the life work from someone. A person that spent a part of his/her life building. A eye for an eye, a life for a life, etc Texas has it right, you can defend property with deadly force. No Antifa riots in TX. https://www.dougmurphylaw.com/defense-of-property
Your cars also fall under the castle doctrine in Texas as well. So it is legal to have a gun in your car and no entity can prohibit you from doing so.
Unless you commit a crime of any sorts while in that car with the weapon in the car, then they add Unlawful Carrying to your charges. Remember he who calls 911 first is perpetuated as the victim when the police arrive.
Very true... We now have constitutional carry. You don't need a concealed carry license to have your weapon on your person. I don't personally carry it on me unless I feel that it is necessary. And I never thought that I needed anyone's permission to have it on my person. So I always kept it in the truck. My theory was if trouble followed me to the truck. Then you fcked up. Because that meant that I was trying to get away from the trouble. I am not a hard-core gun advocate of any kind. My belief is if you want one then you should have one. As for me. I just try to not go to a place where I think that I will need to carry it on my person. But in this crazy world. That is getting harder to do. Hell some days I feel like I need it just to go grocery shopping. It's getting bad around here and I can't wait to get away. I suppose that this doesn't constitute as overloaded unless you count carrying a weapon with a extra clip.
https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2021...ruck-towing-boat-kills-two-people/6378397001/
I know that intersection well. he burned the brakes up coming down off Tahoe. F'ing idiot had no clue, no idea how to sell the load and truck. He drove right by a runaway ramp!! IMO that should be special circumstances to fry his ass. https://goo.gl/maps/EG3d9Qc7sPALum2K6
I've started seeing more of these types of accidents...probably has a lot to do with how powerful consumer grade trucks have become, yet the brakes and frame, and mass of the truck cant control the loads they're capable of getting moving. Damned shame.
Yes it is. People going about their day only to be where they were at the wrong time.
One little wire away from disaster.
The world has become far to inept of these scenarios so this is going to be the result until dot drops the hammer on this crap witch will most likely end in an over regulation burden for those of us that roll honest an legal and safe
If I got pulled over and inspected I would pass. I suspect that all that you drive would pass too. If they just enforce what is there it would work.
It's why we have police because people can't police themselves.
I see these overloaded trucks on the daily around here. My guess is there isn't more this type of accident. Is because it is largely flat around here. Our d.o.t. boys stay on the interstate and away from big cities. And the local p.d. is either not trained to spot these violations or they don't care. I just make sure that these trucks are ahead of me and I stay clear of them.
Buddy pulled up to the shop in this last week.
There are only so many DOT officers to cover how many miles of highway. They can't be everywhere at once. So truthfully the best way is for the courts to make an example out of people who do things like the one above. But that costs the courts money so the guy will plead guilty for a lighter sentence. Same with capitol offences like murder. Counties don't want to try those because it's costly to the county in appeals that go on for years. The laws are already in-place for vehicles of all types doing what ever. We will never be able to stop stupidity you couldn't write enough laws to cover that. People always know they are doing wrong while they are doing it. The vehicles with high towing capacity need to be lowered it's gone far enough.
That's a sad one. 5 axle boat trailer at 38,000lbs behind a f-350, with a 24 year old driver with no license.
And no insurance.
Sorry, Mike, but that is a perfectly legal load behind that tonner. That loader weighs in at 19,000, the trailer about 7000, and the pickup about 8500, for a total GCVW of 34,500 lbs, 5500 under the limit if it has 3.55 gears.
This truck went in the ditch last Thursday. Truck was removed but his load still remains in the ditch as of tonight. Not sure if it came free or they had to cut it loose. Sorry pictures are reversed.
No it isn't. The boat is 38K, what does the dually truck weigh? That is part of the combined GCWR. Unless it is one of those 4500 pound helium filled duallys
I assumed he was referring to the post with the loader on the gooseneck trailer.....maybe he wasn't??
no I was referring to the yacht. Flat ground maybe for some but out here no way.
It started out with that boat crash coming off lake Tahoe on 50.
and no legal status in this country too...
I didn't have a good week, my fear of a idiot driver finally came through, rear ended someone in my dump truck loaded, not hard I was doing maybe 10 mph. Merging onto freeway, just got up to speed of 50 MPH, right lane was closed, one person was stopped waiting to get in lady in front of me lights up her brakes and stops, on the horn for a few seconds trying to stop she doesn't budge and hit her. Then of course she goes, other vehicle didn't merge in even. Once she stopped she knew I was fuming and instantly said "I knew I shouldn't have stopped but that guy was trying to force his way in". Total BS, she just did something completely stupid and was trying to pass the blame. You're on a 50 MPH freeway and light up your brakes coming to a complete stop with a totally open lane, you're a complete idiot who shouldn't have a license. Oh and best part? I have no dash camera footage I pulled camera on saturday to check how the footage would be with new camera and found out it wasn't for crap so didn't have camera in truck. I'm a honest guy and want to tell the truth about what happened, but only if the lady tells the truth and admits she knew she screwed up by stopping. I'll accept 50% fault even though it really should be 0, but no way in hell am I taking 100% fault for it.
The loader looks heavy, but if it's 18000 that's not bad at all, easy pull for 3500. As far as being legal, at least up here manufacture towing ratings mean nothing. As long as you're not exceeding any tire or axle ratings you can put 100,000lbs behind a pickup and DOT won't bother you.
We got a ton of those here along with all the non English speaking cdl bunch they give licenses too by the 1,000's even though they have no experience besides a rickshaw. No one does anything about that but DOT will bust a customers balls if a mudflap is a little honkie on one side.
Or if a tire is a hair low. Because you know safety right?
Just go look at about half the dump trucks running around here I have no idea how they stay in buissness cause they sure cant pass an annual inspection and most would get red tagged at a checkpoint but all that said the 2 worst maintained dump trucks I have ever seen were owned by a white guy and and driven by white guys stupid is equal opportunity In all seriousness around here it seems the less legitimate your set up is the less likely you will be messed with i honestly believe it comes down to going after companies with money
Its a dog eat dog world over truck your load, stop like your trailer brakes dont work, make sure you have plenty of time to get there, drive slow try to not get mad, expect every one is going to wreck you.
That's kind of a unique gooseneck on that trailer. I've seen RGN built that way, but never a gooseneck.
What is the average gcvw of an rv? This one is a little undersized for the load, but its not hard to tell its been photo shopped. Pin height is way to low for that trailer. It's still probably been done though....
Those are only rated for two Harleys and a scooter chair.
A friends dad pulls a massive triple axle enclosed with 2 race cars behind massive RV. I don't know exact weight, but I would guess at least 60,000lbs total. Yea it is crazy how you don't need anything other then a air ticket for it. The thing i've never got is, use a truck on air with electric brake you can hit over 100,000lbs and only need class 3 and no training, but go to a trailer on air and only gross 30,000lbs and you need a class 1 and 120 hours training. Whether or not the trailer is on air should not be such a deciding factor. It also makes a lot of people go to electric brakes to get around it.
In quebec you need a class 1 if its pivoting. So any heavy truck with a trailer no matter the brake type. The air breaks is a totally different endorsement on top of that.
How the fed can get that stopped with electric brake gvwr is require the electric brake trailer combined with truck loaded to max rating has to have parking brakes on said trailer hold on a 20% incline and move no more than 3" when parking brakes are set. That requirement is used for air brakes. Not brakes actuated by foot pedal but real parking brakes.
Oh I don't deny stupid is universal, you just get tired of the OTR idiots on their blutooths and using google translate on road calls, at truck stops... As long as traffic enforcement money is going into general funds it's all about they money.
Not quite an over load, but mentioning GPS.... For those of you unfamiliar with the area, through Mt. Rainier NP runs State Route 410. It climbs over Chinook Pass. In the NP no commercial vehicles are allowed to transit. We followed a Knight freight truck up the highway about 2 weeks ago, expecting it to turn off. But... into the park it went, stuck behind with no place to pass, about a mile from the summit a NPS cop pulled in behind us, passed us and a half mile from the summit pulled the truck over. For those of you who know the area, Tipsoo Lake. Out of curiosity, we pulled over, watched the citation get issued and then watched the NPS cop follow the truck back the way it came. I guess that is why you shouldn't rely on GPS alone.
^ there was a 53 footer getting one of those tickets 3 weeks ago, at the Cayuse pass intersection.
Careful. He’s likely a Democrat voter. They are a protected class.
This is what the hauler used to move my backhoe across country. He blew three tires and lost an axle. When I found out, I refused to let him continue, called a heavy equipment hauler, and made the original guy pay for the tow for the remainder of the trip. It’s a wonder he didn’t dump the hoe into the ditch, or kill someone.
Before the guy showed up, I told the dealer that if the transport rig or driver didn’t look kosher, to refuse to release the hoe, call me, and I’d arrange something else. They never bothered to even look out the window. And this guy was not cheap either.
You expect the dealer to know better in a world where you cant even get the right parts the dealer supposed to know what's legal for transport I would definitely agree should never have been loaded on that trailer hot shots are a big culprit in the state of sketchy vehicles and there advertised capabilities
Around here the guy would have shown up with a dual tandem that would have been fine. They are thick on the ground out west. Either a dual tandem with those mega ramps on them, or a three-car slant.
Offset steel posts had to be sunk in the road bed to keep OTR's from trying to climb the Butler Grade. A gravel road all the way and a maximum of 14% in some places. One rig had to be drug by large cat to get it out. Drivers using GPS taking a short cut. The Butler grade is just west of Walla Walla.
We have Mount Mansfield. Summer weather a tractor trailer can't wind between the boulders. There are MANY signs warning. Still, a few get stuck in the several tight S curves at the top. October there will inevitably be 12 or more rigs have to be towed down backward. Mid December they gate the road, that helps.
Looks like fun in the bare truck. We have to go camping at Wallowa Lake sometime.
That area is a very beautiful spot, hard to beat and worth the trip.
https://www.koin.com/news/crashes/semi-truck-folds-car-in-crash-on-i-5-over-skagit-river/
Not sure if I posted this before but think the proper use of tie-downs is important while securing loads:
Well at least whatever that component is, it’ll hold itself together since it’s strapped to itself…
Apparently gravity is his friend. Inertia maybe not so much
Machinery overload, bridgeport style Kondia mill twisted 90 degrees and horizontal boring the teeter port on a 644E deere ROAG axle, center section is 1000 ish pounds
Wow. Thats an impressive setup.
I like the certified cribbing under there.
This portable generator needed a few more tiedowns I think. A crew was moving parts of a portable batch plant, and this load did not make it around a curve in the road. I wonder if the truck driver got fired?
Step 1, remove housing
Here's how we move our 312b
Here’s how i move our 251 Ferguson Was hunting for an older 1 ton diesel cause we only move it occasionally but turns out I could buy this truck cheaper. Crazy.
I know several people who tow their travel trailer with something similar. They are relatively cheap, especially for the miles you will put on it and they will haul the load safely. You can have two economical vehicles and have a third parked unless you need it. Insurance is cheaper, fuel overall is cheaper. A win -win package. Nope, it isn't crazy, kind of smart in my opinion.
You are EXACTLY correct! Besides all that I’ve always wanted my own semi
I don't have a fifth wheel endorsement CDL. I wonder....motorhomes are exempt from CDL requirements, as are farmers, & firemen? Could I use one?
I don't know about other places, but here in Washington, people use similar to tow their travel trailer. some with a smaller vehicle up on the back of the truck ahead of the trailer. I know of two that do it and neither one have a CDL, According to them, it is because they are towing a personal use trailer.
I know a guy who has a sleeper equipped truck to tow his 42' toyhauler. He put a thetford porta-potty in the sleeper, a table and microwave and that somehow let him register even the truck as an RV. I don't know what the advantage was.
I wish my truck had the fuel economy of a Diesel. Even with the hitch to high i could hardly tell i was towing any thing. I need to work on my hitch set up so it will be at the right height for my pickup and this truck. I would like to build or buy a toy hauler so i could travel some day i would use this truck if i could aford its bad milage.
I know a guy with a pete 379, full sleeper - tandem, 3406 13 speed. It was registered as a RV in indiana, and he says no CDL needed because it s a RV. Of course then he bought a single drop lowboy, and was hauling equipment and landscaping rocks all over with RV plates, no CDL, and no plate on the trailer, and I'm sure no insurance. But- this is the same guy that pulled the air filters out of the truck because they were dirty and he couldn't afford new filters- and he thought it would run better without the filter restriction. Last I heard, he had switched from RV plates to farm plates, because his dad owns a farm, and he thought he would have less problems with the farm plates instead of the RV plates. No thought of actually getting legal.
See that a Lot as to RV tags and dragging a Gooseneck with machines on it or farmers WELL out of the distance restrictions on F tags doing what they can get away with. Sad as should I try such crap would be in the Hoosgow FOREVER.
Is amazing how many people go to so much effort to avoid paying a few bucks. If people would just play the game according to the rules, everyone would gt along much better. When the cheaters get caught, they are always outraged that someone would enforce the laws on them, because they are special and "smarter" than anybody else. I too would get caught within the first 5 miles if I tried a trick like that. Fear does keep honest people honest as does sartorial appearance. I just don't look good in an orange jumpsuit and flip-flops.
There’s many loop holes and confusing information surrounding cdl and personal use vehicles, I say confusing cause the laws are really left to interpretation. If you hold a CDL…….there’s less to interpret ♂️
We run a farm tag cause we aren’t commercial hauling and they aren’t too expensive. If I get a small equipped trailer that could change though.
Are several Clay Haulers here that change Company names often as DOT cracks down on them. Never use or even have Tarps or Covers, roll will broken drums, tires flopping on rims, Slick if any tread at all on many, and WHO gets stopped, well of Course fleets as ours, No write ups, a few Warnings for 'Close to Exception Status' or some other crap. ONLY time have seen Portables out was for one of OUR trucks near to New Florence MO, then the guy they stop headed to Hannibal gets a pass, had the torn off mudflap in the cab 'was gonna get it reinstalled soon as could', his weight as per another driver was 3 ton Overload to license. DOT can be a sad state of affairs.
I know a dental hygienist/nurse, when I met her she was a few years from school. State of Alaska helps people with their tuition if they commit to work in Alaska for a time. Cop pulls her over at midnight on her way from a shift at the hospital. He makes some lame excuse why he pulled her over, snow obstructing her license plate light. She was a real beauty & knew very well why he stopped her. A pickup with no passenger door drives by, cop waves all friendly. She was enraged! "He didn't even have a door!" Why aren't you arresting him?" "Oh, he said, he doesn't have an inspection sticker." "In Alaska, inspections are optional. If you don't have one, you can't get insurance, and there are no defective equipment laws." Different rules for different people. I know two brothers own two farms 12 miles apart. They share equipment & shuttle back & forth. Nothing they own is registered, nothing insured. Tractors aren't required to be, but trucks are. They claim they've never had a ticket. Different rules for different people. One brother ran an unpermitted construction dump. He lives near the airport. After years of getting away with it, somebody spotted it from the air, reported him. He made the newspaper, there was a bit of a fuss, I think he paid a small fine. Different rules for different people. A very good friend's wife inherited a farm. They never actively farmed, but rented the farm out. They had a spring water business. The tanker truck was registered as Ag. One very early morning he was pulled over by a County Sherriff's deputy. The cop was beside himself with glee at the big truck bust he had. Dave pointed out the Agricultural plates. A long radio discussion ensued with the Deputy's boss. Ultimately, none of the violations were valid if Ag plates. Different rules for different people.
Most of it depends on the intelligence of the officer. It's pretty simple-you can't use a commercial vehicle/business vehicle and have Ag plates. Ag plates are for farm use only. Farmer here got caught hauling grain out if a elevator/flat house to port. Can't do that-can only haul from field to elevator, once grain is mixed with other grain term {co-mingled from other farms} if hauled rig has to have commercial plates.
Because of my eye sight i dont have a License or CDL. If i take my cdl over before February will i not have to have the drivers training ? How are Guys going to get cdls if they are not employed were they can get training ? Could i Drive for a farmer to get training?
Now if lose or do not have a CDL in MO have to go thru one of the schools to get it. Go thru the schooling and seems driving test is waived here.
There are government agencies will pay for you to go to school. I'm not sure the arrangement, a mill I sometimes work at has a classroom & space for practice. Often I see Saturday classes, & parking practice any time in daylight. Other option is some employers are desperate for employees, they will hire you & train you. Cassella is the big company here, trash haulers & excavating. I believe their employees are fast tracked through the DMV. Again, different rules for different people. I'm on the edge with hearing, they want me to face the corner, a nurse with the softest voice in the world whispers to me from 8 feet away. I'm supposed to repeat her words. I get 3 out of five words correct. A friend of mine can't hear me shout from 5 feet away, but he gets his license & medical card renewed. Different rules for different people.
Driving test is administered by the instructor. I think that is also true of high school students taking Driver Ed.
Seems are quacks everywhere giving physicals Osteo, Chiro, several around us for five counties applied and paid their fee for license where sign off nearly anyone. My Doc cannot perform DOT physicals but his employer health care company has a division to do them and are diligent as to requirements as I get mine there, same hearing test as yours Willie. My own boss can barely get into or out of trucks yet his physical is renewed without concern, another driver cannot hear me in a quiet room or on his phone on speaker but passed his hearing test. Different results from different sources at different levels of quality.
The hearing test has two levels. The examiner cuts a fart{Did you hear that?} {No I Didn't} {Can you Smell it?} {Yes I Can} examiner {Your Hearing is good}
Well, I can't pass a physical anymore, My neck is too big and according to that measurement, I don't sleep and I need a c-pap. Only issue there is I tried one for a week and never slept a wink. After the week, when I was napping throughout the day wife said dump the rig and forget driving. I guess I was getting a little too crabby for her. So now, I have the CDL, but with no health card.
Since I derailed this overload thread with cdl and farm tag junk, here’s my recent overload. Yes it was me and no I didn’t use this combo for transport to destination.
As Willy B says: "Different rules for different people." US Gov't vehicle ... in MS
Had to haul it to Vermont though
Wow, reading all that makes me think that our system may not be so bad at all. We do have a primary producer category, but all that provides is a discount on registration fees, under this category the vehicle can only be used for your primary production business. Apart from the rego discount, everything else is identical to full commercial requirements, I need the same license categories, must abide by same weight, height, etc, etc,,,, So I get one benefit, reduced rego and have one rule imposed, must not be used outside my business, pretty simple really. Although it might be nice to have carte blanche to do what I want as it seems your rules allow. Same with licenses, I've had my truck license since I was probably 19ish, just turned 50, apart from paying too much money every 5yrs to renew it, nothing else required. I'm sure there is some upper age limit where doctors certificate is required (75 with car licence) but I don't know what that is for heavy vehicles.
I can't remember if there is a hearing test here, for the 2 exams i've got (it's every 5 years if you're under 65 or 70 can't remember) the only test my doctor does is eyes, other then that he's just chatting with me as he checks all the boxes off, granted he's been my doctor my whole life so he knows me a bit. For a job with railway a little over 10 years ago they just asked me my height and weight and measured my neck and said your obese we won't hire you unless your doctor signs off. He looked at the form at laughed and said "concrete work that you've been doing is 100x more physical then this". He didn't do any sort of exam he just signed it. So many of the physicals are ridiculous, judging with a chart by height and weight means nothing, anyone with a reasonable amount of muscle and built heavier will be seen as obese even if they aren't even close.
Yes, I retired my C65 in part because it got atrocious gas mileage. I used it when I needed to, not frivolously. "New" truck is a little more than twice the MPG. Still not good, but better. I had hoped it'd have much more power, but the Allison in it is a pig. Seth, (my son) is going for an upgrade to his new CDL. Good friends have consented to him using an old Ford tandem truck with 10 speed transmission. He compares it as similar power to my 28000 LB gross truck. My engine is rated 250 HP, the truck he is using is more than twice the weight, rated 230 HP.
I was prescribed blood pressure medication once. Blood pressure wasn't high most of the time, but pre surgery for thyroid removal, they put me through a battery of tests, they discovered an enlarged aorta. Doctor wondered why "Your blood pressure is fine, but aorta suggests extreme spikes?" I asked: "Have you met Seth?" That is all the State of Vermont needs. Each year I need to renew my medical card.
First CDL exam, I was ignorant. I called my doctor's office & scheduled it. I walked into an exam room, he was in a snit! He is qualified to teach others how to administer the exam, but in VT NO EXCEPTIONS! He would have to take a course, (1 week) to be trained to give the exam. He had told the State where they could put it, but his credentials had not yet expired. I left that day with my medical card. Since then, I go to a chain emergency medical place. They have 1 person certified for CDL physicals, but I've never seen him.
Because of driver shortage the work force is becoming geriatric. There are more drivers now past 68 years old then there has ever been. How many pass a physical is the fact examiners are brushing over most requirements that were steadfast just 6 years ago. My company hires from the IOOF or so it seems. {he can wiggle his toes so he's ok}.
Here in quebec we dont need a physical but if i want to drive to the states i need one. I let mine go this year since i have absolutely no desire to go there and am not willing to pay for something i wont use.
I did the same thing with my Volvo WIA 64, only $5250 for it, hauls my water out here for us and any supplies I might want to pick up in town or cross country. Not can I haul it, it's do I want to haul it home. Won't go back to a 1 ton for hauling anymore especially with a loaded CDL to haul anything besides HAZMAT and snot noses. I got PJ trailer too but longer than yours at 40' and hitches right up to my fifth wheel, I even passed a CDL with it even though it has electric brakes on it.
That is nationwide now you need to have so many school hours to get a CDL.
Or a walker.
With the shortage it's going to be with a walker or in a diaper since they are pushing for 18-20 yr olds to drive with Tennessee the first to enact it. Maybe if they paid more and gave better hours of service might have better retention, not shortage of drivers, shortage of ones who will put up with the BS. I see them letting more green card holders in to drive.
You could have combo license-walker with a diaper.
Add some ***** in there and you could have a combo haz-mat license
So since I can wiggle my ears and my toes doe that mean I get to be part of management, if it helps I can wiggle my ears one at a time too
At $16k for a 500hp 430k mile truck, it made sense. That money would get a 300k mile 15+ year old 3/4 ton diesel around here. Turns tighter too
Is why I am wrenching on a 17 going on 18 year old Class 8. NOT spending $60/70/80k on a pickup and in no way buying a five year old worn slick ton truck that needs everything gone thru as has 150k miles of abuse for $25-45k as current markets are bearing.
Boss’s newest hire is 20 all endorsements Class A except Hazmat and Passenger graduated from training school at Linn MO year ago at 19 worked for a small company for a few months then covid layoff closure and started here. Good kid, only legal Intrastate as with the old Chauffeurs licenses, tries hard but is only one where need ten. Within three months will be six of us settling either back to or into retirement, I am looking no further than mid January if not sooner as the winter slow down progresses as won’t challenge the paychecks for those dependent of them being steady. Birthday in February and not figuring to be commercially driving beyond then.
The law was supposed to go into effect February 1, 2020. VT Governor froze that two years. My older son just got his CDL, took two trips. He arrived with my 28000 LB GVWR truck & 10000 GVWR trailer. The law says "OVER 10,000" The tester turned him away. He needed to board a commercial airline a few weeks later. VT takes your driver's license, gives you a 8-1/2x11 paper substitute. In their sweet time, they send a new one. He scheduled a retest after his trip. Next test was successful. As my truck is automatic, he didn't get an endorsement for manual transmission. He is scheduled to retest in December for manual transmission endorsement. I expect the driver shortage to get even worse after the school requirement becomes permanent law.
There aren't enough truck drivers, so lets make the requirements and regulations even more daunting. Then when there is a crisis, the hours of service regs get suspended. Which goes to prove the hours of service regs are a full employment regulation, not a safety regulation. How does a hours of service suspension work with the in cab recorders?
One is-went over on PC time, the other moving vehicle and going over 5 mph while off duty.
Good luck DMiller.
I may end up down Your Way Bootheel. Niece and her Hubby live outside Jackson, Younger Brother just moved back there, Nephew lives somewhere around there and is only Family I have beyond a niece in IL I will NOT move near due to that State. some things have come up of late where after Jan will know hard details.
DMiller if you make the trip, it sounds like you might be busy but if not, holler out (275.1204). I’m not a coffee drinker but would sure set you up with something to drink. Hopefully not this week. Tomorrow painting a neighbor’s ramp. Then helping a friend move old equipment from Bluff to Potosi the rest of the week.
Ontario is the same - we have had minimum entry level training for a few years now. Glad I got my A class before that came in to effect. It's over $10k, and 6 weeks to get your class A. We're not a huge fleet, and my main driver just turned 73. Lot less BS with the older guys. Just pay em what they want, and make sure the truck is maintained well. Don't have to babysit them. Can't say the same for a lot of the younger guys. That said, one of our labourers (20 year old) was keen to get his Class A, but my insurance said they'd drop the fleet if we added anyone under 25. Not sure how they expect the industry to succession plan if we can't get insurance.
As a 24 year old that drives truck a bit I take offense to that
Hence the problem. Nobody cares what offends you.
Thats ok I really really don't care haha I knew that would get a response. I know a fellow who is a year or 2 younger then me owns his own truck and lowboy that pedals around equipment.
I'm sure there are "one offs," but most insurance companies make the call at 25. Now, 55 years ago, I knew of a fellow driving an off highway log truck. No insurance and nobody cared. If anybody got hurt, it would be the driver and the 1948 Mack. But, times have changed. And no, I didn't get hurt. I was 14. and the haul was only 5 miles.
unless it has changed. comm.airline pilots are allowed only 60 hrs actual flight time per month as opposed to70 hrs in 8 days for comm.truck driver
When they do that to Trucking, KATIE Bar the Door!!! Nuke working ours restriction went the route of Driver Limits for Station Operators as I was. 16/24 26/48, 72/7days for hours, a minimum 10 hours off between shifts, 34 hour break(Consecutive) every Nine days. Are several rules adjustments recently so I do not have them all. Then comes refueling outages and can only work outside restrictions for a total of 60 days.
Talking about the "driver shortage," about a month ago, I read where someone probably some university, went to every state in the union and got a count of those holding CDLs. What they found was at that point in time, there were 3.7 CDLs held for every truck on the road across the nation. So, there is no "driver shortage." They also found that at the infamous port of LA drivers pay has been cut 5% from a year ago. The drivers have underbid each other and driven the price down. Now, drivers are again walking away fro the work due to low pay. As the observer pointed out, there is a wage shortage. But, when you get hundreds competing for the same load, the brokers can drive the price down to where it is cheaper to park the truck.
Lots of cdl's out there but many are used for nothing more than test driving, municipal or old guys who have mothballed there cdl, those don't count as a whole for otr.
Mine was inactive for close to 20 years. Know of several that ONLY see light of day after grain harvest to haul to Barge Services or Rail heads.
I drive every day but it is for a specific bit of work, I don't contribute either. I dropped interstate and went with the intrastate on my license. If the company bids a job in Portland they are out of luck! As I drove home up the hill, I was reminded of why the car drivers might behave like they do. I can see what is going on and they are stuck blocked by me, not knowing that I am not the hold up.
wow. what a cheesed up operation. Just a little better job of decking that over and it would look so much better.
Overloads have been going on since Noah built the ark. Here's a dandy just a few years back.
Done that on a lake with a real barge with the lift chained to the deck, that right there, nope that ain't it lol
I wonder if there tied off on that setup I cant tell weather that is brass balls or **** for brains
Actually it looks pretty good with the straps there. I agree the plywood seems thin.
I wonder how L&I would word the catastrophe if it had happened. Lets start with {two men fell to their death plus drowned}.
NO WAY
That really would be a real dumpster fire of an accident report, worker 1 and worker 2 fell, drown, then the 3,000 pound man lift came to rest on top of them at the bottom of the pool lol
Don’t sneeze while up there……
I don't see any big problems with there set up. All the floats appear to interlock. The floats appear to be a suitable strength plastic. Suitable dimensions for appropriate footing. Just gotta get your sea legs. I'll bet that plywood is 3/4" and the only thing that I feel would be sketchy is getting the thing loaded and unloaded from raft.
Shoud have a guy on the raft with a trolling motor to do a full inspection of the roof. I swear those planes flying over when we where kids were not contrails. They were spraying stupid juice.
Thats not overloaded. Thats just a slow ride to the scrap yard. Stay off the thruway and take back roads.
Small things that EXPAND Greatly This is the last of the Clay Pile I have to haul, the one in front of 963 loader. I had hauled a 21t load from it and was returning, figured MAYBE four more truck loads where after 130t(FIVE Over Full loads!!) hauled off is STILL 20-30t setting there. Pit edge is just beyond the machine, the pile on other side is estimated at 26,000t, Cement additive Clay.
Then we have a local contractor!! NO Flags, definitely Over Width, never saw Trailer License Plate, truck is licensed 54K, Does have four ratchet binders holding it to trailer.
Just out of curiosity. How far is that pit from Bowling Green ? Years back I stayed in a hotel in Louisiana, MO and somewhere not far from there I put a terex rt100 together and tore down three 773 for a txi plant.
Pretty far piece from BG That would be close to 70 miles from the pit. Have clay pits all across MO, in this county alone are right at thirty active and some ten being researched for initial mining. The small pit we are hauling from is typical of these where clay has been located, mine opened by a local contractor and begins the excavation. Three to four years at most later the pit is closed. Larger pits to the north as in BG were open for decades as the volume was huge. Brick plants were constructed at Vandalia, Mexico, sites around Montgomery City west to Fulton and out past Columbia due to the volumes in those localized pits. The clay was abundant and close to surface where easily removed. St Louis had some of the earliest clay mining in MO in the 19th century when much of the old brick buildings went up. 90% is called Fire Clay, not the lawn and garden variety where is white or deep red to grey, dirt clay tends to be brown to orange and very plastic where fire clays can be hydraulic as Bentonite or pasty for make up, abrasives and Fullers Earth type materials. Are few private property owners that retain their mineral rights as the original findings of clay or other minerals were bought up in the 1920’s to 1950’s around here.
Pretty sure this counts. Captured at the local wally world this afternoon.
I'm impressed the bumper isn't touching the ground, doesn't look like a full skid, but still gotta be like 2500lbs at least? And that thing can't be rated for more then 1000?
Last skid of redi-mix I hauled in my F350 was (60 sacks) that weighed 60 pounds each for 3,600 pounds. My truck was on the helper springs, but within capacity of truck. The poor Nissan pictured above appears to have 6 rows with 8 - 50# sacks per row plus 6 sacks on top row. 54 sacks x 50 pounds= 2,700 pounds. Even if there are only 2 rows you can't see instead of 3, that's still 46 sacks for a total of 2,300 pounds. The 2022 Nissan Frontier has a payload capacity of 1,610 pounds. Nissan marketing isn't helping this situation. Here's a screenshot from their website:
And I was fretting about hauling 15 bags of 50 lb concrete in my Nissan truck as being too much. You can tell it's a young stupid punk by the sticker on the back window. Hate to see how much he overloads his trailer that he tows by looking at the hitch receiver. Sad part is he just bought the truck back in February of this year and the truck only has around 90k miles according to records search.
Not an overload but a heavy one, a turbine shaft for one of the dams on the Columbia river.
What I like is he's taking both lanes causing people to sigh, grumble and cuss. You just know someone in one of those cars has a full bladder or bowel.
wishes we had a pouty lip pb pb pb icon.
The real problem is that abortion of a trailer, unless that's the minimum legal track wide for a 8 tire axle where the truck is, why the hell would someone make the track width wider then the frame?
That's a remote steer and built to spread weight over a large area, for over- sized heavy loads. Photos below. of boiler being trans ported, had to meet county requirements for road surface and bridge crossings. OxBo.
It was remotely backed down a side street between two buildings to turn it around. Plus they still had to over-deck/span two county road bridges.
Followed this today here in Jackson. Full pallet of bottled water. Actually watched the front tires come off the ground on one bump he went over.
You were right in front of the COOP! May need to run into you sometime.
Yep was running to ace I live back up the road by the elementary school and no I wasn’t driving while taking pictures wife was driving
I suppose that works, looks to be a bit much for a single axle rig. Inadequate tie downs too.
Where's the toilet?
Durn Truckers ... I routinely picked up a soda bottle used as a toilet from the road side during a trash pick up....
What's known as a {Trucker Bomb}.
At least is NOT a Glass Bottle(Pickle jar) in a COE Freightliner, sitting un-noticed behind the shifter on the shift seal insert, as cab was raised got to about half way to safety prop distance hear a "Tink, Tink, Smack, CRASH" as the bottle of URINE hit the shop floor. We had already nicknamed the A--Hole driver 'Pigpen' as the Inside was so filthy, this made it worse, then the kid shop cleaner peered thru the open door and asked, "Is the dirt in the floor supposed to move on its own?". We all freaked, Bug Bombs purchased and the LICE Infested POS got Bombed then the Shop then we all took baths in Delousing Lice Killer. Truck was infested with Fleas, Lice, was a Rolling Petri Dish for growing stuff in the floor and on the surfaces. Cab was taken to full tilt and PRESSURE WASHED OUT. Pigpen was FIRED.
DM your story just gave me full body shakes..
I've put up with that crap for years. Half eaten rotting food pitched on the floor. Boogers and snot blown all over the dash. Cig butts a 1/2" deep in areas. Mattresses infested with bed bugs. Urine and crap buckets. Garbage piled to the window on passenger side. Absolutely disgusting behavior, dogs and cats are far cleaner in their lives. It's why I want to bag it in a few years, sick of people and their filthy habits. Doesn't make any difference what truck I get into to move into shop or out, I wear black nitrile gloves, overalls and a mask. Have for years now, not just the last two.
Humans are filthy!
How can people sit in that all day? The floor of my truck gets swept out every day and the cab gets a wipe down every time i am at the pit with a few minutes waiting for the loader. My excavator i use to run was the same way. Always swept out and kept wipes in it to wipe down any time i had a chance. It drives me nuts when i get in something after others and its a mess. Its a matter of respect and that says you dont respect your fellow workers.
Why--why yes they are!
The other thing i cant stand is dust. I work in a crappy dusty environment all day i dont want to sit in a crappy dusty truck or machine.
I told this on here about 5 years as it had happened 5 years ago. If you don't have a cast iron stomach don't read it. Dispatch got a call from the sheriffs dept and a trucking company out of Manitoba. One of their drivers died in a truck here on the edge of town near Martin Archery. One of Martins employees noticed the truck had been setting in the same spot for four days and he could smell something. The coroner figured he had been dead for at least that many days. The guy was huge it took seven fireman to recover him from the cab which was filled with rotting food, and feces. The guy was know to have severe mental issues also. When it came time to figure how to move the tractor trailer which the WSP wanted impounded in our yard everyone started backing away. A tow truck was three hours wait and they wanted it moved asap to investigate. Literally everyone said not me I'll puke. The fire boys gave me a plastic suite and peppermint under my nose. I climbed in built air and drove it to the yard. I've smelt some pretty bad things years ago towing. But that one well it rates #1.
Dust and dirt don't really bother me. The mining environment were normally in is what it is. But trash and um nastiness and ratchet straps that aren't rolled make me very very angry
A truck on extended leaf really does ride nice once you load it down
Need to rip the dash apart but every time I hit a bump looks like soybean or some time of seed shell really soft and paper thin flies out the vents especially when its on defrost mode. Like confetti comes pouring out damn mice. From previous owner was a farm truck. Don’t get me started on the 10 lbs of mice ***** found in the bunk heater blower
Anywho…
This guy broke down on the west side of Spokane going westbound fully loaded on the interstate 90, nice traffic jam and pissed off people. Loaded to the point he told me he weighed 80,900 lbs in Montana and he barely made it across the scales in Washington state under 80k. No one stopped to help which I know someone had to have a chain and power to pull him before I got to him. He said the rig just shut down, I told him a sensor on the coolant probably or somewhere, but I pulled him off the road. Tried offering me money but told him I don’t want it, didn’t do much. Took one the chains off my load on the back and pulled him.
newer stuff. just gives up anywhere
What goes around comes around, good job Spud
I carry a roll of blues towels, a package of Orange Clean moistened towels, have trash can in cab that is emptied daily, a can of spray window cleaner and a roll of toilet paper(a must have out rural!). Spray cleaner to wipe down dash and gauge faces every few days, keep windows where can see and mirrors leas murky with road film. May not be pristine clean but no trash no garbage and no bugs. Will stop and pee as beed to, no need to use a bottle as that is just beyond nasty.
Are several in the small fleet I work for currently that live like that, seem normal enough until see their own cars/light trucks, more trash hauling than not. Takes little effort to empty the crap as stop for day or end of day as get home, just lazy.
Have a trash bag hanging on passenger arm rest gets thrown out as needed floor get wiped out with a rag as it gets dirty and shoes don’t go past drivers floor board dash gets wiped down at least weekly and carry Lysol for anything that gets touched regularly may not be the absolute clean ST truck but definitely not ashamed for someone to get in it
Pulled into truck stop and this pulled up next to me, I think you are missing a few components there hope they didn’t hit anyone. Wonder if Vern noticed he had extra lug nuts laying around for some odd reason at the tire shop…
I remember back in my truck repair days that a lot of rigs (mostly loggers & dumps) had coiled air hoses with nozzles plumbed into the cabs. Other over-the-road rigs smelled of BO so bad it was more desirable to get stuck working on a livestock hauler that had not been hosed out.
Judging of the busted cap and ugly appearance of inner stub he has the tires somewhere else so can get it elsewhere!!
Was this anywhere on I-80 near Donner Pass? Yesterday on our Sacramento NBC station they showed a clip of a truck dragging his rear axle thru the snow.
Was probably to put the Fire Out!!
Things like that really are more common than one would think, minimum of 20 a day across the country.
That's a Stemco Pro Torque bearing set. Wheels got the Stemco 4009 hub cover.
Reminds me of my job this morning starting 6 am. 3 axle trailer-5 shoe sets and drums with one being a wheel seal and 4 tires plus short serviced. Done by 7:50 am.
Todays adventure
That toolbox under the front of that trailer, would last all of 5 minutes around me. I'd have it drug off in a heartbeat, it hangs really low.
Must only run on perfectly flat and smooth roads!
Yeah, I'm honestly surprised I didn't do any damage to it on the way home. The hitch on this little Hino is a good bit lower than our dump trucks. I wish! Ever been to Ontario? But in all seriousness, this trailer will never see off road. 35ft of deck on this thing. She don't turn so tight.
with those axles spread out like that, it would be a scrubbing bugger.
I ran light today. The guy I was helping kept asking if I could get all the mud on one load. I said no, and it will take more than a load of rock to replace it. 11T + 4T out and 11T + 5T back. No, it was not going to fit on one load. They are all too happy to trash a truck and somebody else's license.
Ya that's going to be fun in tight areas, mine is 1' shorter, it's a frigging nightmare getting around off of any main roads. That toolbox wouldn't last even on the roads here, mine has probably 10" clearance on the hitch and i've scraped it before.
Wide spreads like that do weird things while backing, most often swapping pivot axle mid turn where stop twisting off one and swap to the opposite end and back again to a different point, backing turns get testy.
Soy bean chat. Farm trucks cant ever be shut off during dusty operations so every thing gets bean chat or what ever dust is being stirred up. I took more than four 5 gallon buckets of muddobers nest out of the doors and the vents of my F600. I havnt seen any dirt fall out of the headliner lately. I was in a building that had them on the lights when they were turned on it was a smell you will not forget.
Yep, she's long. Definitely not for subdivision or inner city work, thats for sure. We've got a 20+5ft tag that we've been using to date. Works fine, I just have to make 2 trips, and on jobs that are over an hour away, that ain't fun. If we're working downtown, or in tight spaces, that's the trailer we'll take. Just hooked it up to the truck that will actually be towing it. Just over 10" of clearance. Total rig is 72ft long...according to Ontario laws I could have made it 3ft longer Definitely, we'll see how it goes. I don't really wear out trailer tires though. Usually mine die from age/weather cracking.
https://jalopnik.com/truck-driver-sentenced-110-years-for-deadly-crash-stemm-1848226110
Saw this today in South Seattle. I especially like the one on the side of the truck. I guess in case he bumps something. .
I'm all for jail time for something like that, but 110 years is WAY too much. I could see like 5-10 years and ban on commercial license for life. He would have got less if he walked into a crowded room with a gun and just started shooting, or if he was driving a car and was drunk or on drugs. The driver in Humboldt who killed more people then that is out of prison, he got a few years which is way more reasonable.
He cannot Speak English, OBVIOUSLY had No Clue as to what RUNAWAY RAMP in English Meant, How is it the person that issued his CDL is Not also on trial? Or the people that tested him for that license our did he even have one?
I thought that it said in the cdl handbook. That you have to be able to read and understand English. Had it changed or am I mistaken.
Totally agree with that, that was also a factor in the Humboldt crash here, guy didn't speak good english. He goes to jail but not his employer (who started up a new trucking company under his wife I believe), nor the person who gave him his license, etc. As much as I blame the drivers and they need to be held to account, I think in some cases because they are new to the country they are getting taken advantage of and they are just trying to do a job to support their family and maybe don't understand how dangerous a loaded semi is if not driven properly, the blame shouldn't just be on them.
The stupid part is here you can get the written test in many languages, and if you can't read you can get it in audio instead. I don't think a driver should need to know english amazing to get a license, but they better know the basics and all the road signs.
My observation: Big companies hiring drivers usually have a fast track through DMV. Here, Cassella is the big, nearly the only trash hauler. Their fleet is HUGE. They have fast turnover of employees, and a stop at DMV in Rutland one will see a Cassella truck outside testing. I noticed one driver, work boots, no laces, filthy clothes & an old ragged flannel shirt over it all. Hair had never been cut or combed, going everywhere. A neatly dressed Cassella employee was guiding him through the test. Pretty common when mentally deficient, or illiterate. Here, we don't see a great ethnic diversity, most speak some variety of English. Illiterate is more common.
Illiteracy will stop issuance as much as inability to speak or read as a foreign national US DOT Code of Federal Regulations 49CFR391.11 must be able to read and speak the english language Still a requirement, has not been deleted or abandoned where the people issuing the licenses should be held accountable. Due to their negligence the deaths and injuries occurred. As for myself there should be NO test presented other than in English and on paper where if cannot read it cannot pass it cannot get the license.
I'd say something snarky, but I know who was driving this.
Lets see 5.0L 1995 F150 who's VIN is 1FTEF15N3SNA48340 I can go further and see who the owner is of that truck too
Which is the same info you could have gotten on me if you drove past my pickup at walmart.
Don't embarass the poor guy, he already has it bad enough driving a Ford and all
This is such a load of crap....it's exactly why the trucking industry amongst other things has gone down the toilet. IMHO, if you are hired by any company , you had better know how to read, write, speak and understand the language of which ever country you in. It doesn't matter if it's in Roosterpoop Alabama or Knutcheese Norway. This industry has gone from being nothing but professionals to ssissylala steering wheel holders....the kind who have never changed a diaphragm on the side of the road, switched a Cummins pt pump over to manual or adjusted a brake adjuster. Oh....but there's an app for that! Once upon a time, people had to earn their US Citizenship. That means that they had to know how to read, write and understand and speak the language . They also had to prove to be able to hold a job, support themselves and assimilate to OUR way of life. Not so much anymore. And knowing that people don't need to know squat to get a big rig license, that not only makes me uncomfortable, it pisses me the hell off. I was once proud to be a truck driver. I thought I'd be driving till the day I die. Not anymore. I'm glad I lost my license. Best thing that ever happened to me. I have absolutely no desire to get my CDL back and to deal with this new age of middle lane idiot. I want nothing to do with them. How times have changed... So....if you are ok with some person not knowing the language, more power to, ya. Here, we have obviously become pussified. We worry more about offending someone or hurting their delicate little feelings than making sure that we have safe, courteous professionals driving our roads. God help us... and to stay in topic.... S-86 Expressway. Coachella Ca. Back home, this is how we roll .
If you expect drivers to have perfect english do you have a plan to replace the majority of the current ones who wouldn't qualify? There is a big difference between perfect english, and knowing the basics which is plenty to be able to drive and communicate safely. A driver needs to be able to read "Danger Ahead" sign, not how to write a 10000 word essay because last time I checked, there wasn't any of those required to drive, and frankly if there was, most drivers now would be screwed. I've lost count how many i've dealt with who would be considered illiterate or very close and they are not immigrants. The change in truck drivers to what they are now was caused by a lot more then non-english speaking people coming into it, many of which have a far better work ethic then the kids born in the country. As far as immigrants in general, as long as they can support themselves and want to work, if their english needs work as long as they work to improve it that's all that matters.
Do not see it that way saludas, rule is clear to read speak and understand english, cannot do that cannot have a cdl. To those that have been given tests in all but English so they could pass is tantamount to fraudulent access and should be nulled. There are reasons to be that way and they are protecting those that cannot protect themselves for inadequate capabilities. Do not have 20/40 corrected vision, low hearing quality, chance of sleep deprivation due to health issue and your license can be pulled here.
I totally agree the test should only be in english. The definition of read and write english is so vague though. What grade level 3,6, or 10? There's a massive difference. If they can pass the test in english without any help does that qualify as good enough english? How many current drivers wouldn't pass the test though? I bet a lot of them.
Not too many, most US adults can read a street sign, can understand Runaway Ramp signage there are all too many immigrant that when stopped use a similar to No comprende in around half a dozen languages and several Dozen dialects of those where should NOT be allowed in a truck at all.
The president , vice president, speaker of the house and transportation secretary are all perfect examples of those with "inadequate capabilities".
Most tests IF CAN READ the Instructions Booklets are to around a eighth grade education level, no higher math no severe punctuation to cause errors, simple wording.
Does the CDL test have questions regarding requirements of securing the load? I know there's questions about brakes and mud flaps. Seems like a good subject to know about to keep other people on the road from harm.
This problem started 40 plus years ago with deregulation. By the end of the 80's everyone and their brother was looking to be in the trucking business. Rates were slashed which brought in cheap labor for drivers. Then more and more state and federal regulations on vehicles and drivers as more and more trucks entered the road. Use to be no one would hire a driver that didn't have three verifiable years driving with three winters of chaining. The whole market for drivers has changed with signing bonuses, $500 for every driver that brings in another driver/head hunting. How much chrome do you want/just charge it to the company. Incentives to hit the max miles a day {660}. Deregulation gave us what we got.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/cargo-securement-rules
No more drivers ed in high school, participation trophies, Ritalin, the internet and the department of education will keep us where we're at.
Statement Of The Century
Not a overload but-headed out at 6:30 last night. Driver of a pickup going to fast lost control and swerved into one of our trucks on the Madam Dorrain bridge at Wallula Junction hyw 12. He survived, freezing fog on slush. Our truck roughly $25,000 in damage. The incident was recorded on dash cam. Will post photos later today. I'm still tired and have a full day ahead.
Be careful today truck shop- when I'm tired is when things always go sideways. Starting a clean up at 6:30 meant a late night for you.
My drivers test the other day the first ?? was 2+2= When i was hauling off my tires i could stack 100 on my trailer with out a problem . One trip it must have been the last trip i had 1 tire that i just couldnt find room for. I got up early the next day to make the 90 mile trip and i thought why not put it in the cab.
It was so heavy, it took out the bridge too.
Accident photos didn't down load for some reason, so just these three after I dropped it. Pickup lost control swerved to the right side of our rig completely crushing the left side of Toyota Tundra. Had it been the left side it would have been a fatality. 67 year old driver, chest injuries. Damage to our truck I'm guessing $40,000. Broke the frame horn and looks to have damaged rail, plus a lot of other expensive stuff. Asked if I could tow the whole thing {Lets get the road open} so towed complete 40 miles back to shop. Road well iced.
Sad to see Truck Shop but thanks for sharing. Amazing how much cost to repair is for what in the 1st photo doesn’t look too bad. Cam
Looks are really deceiving.
If they quit using plastic and aluminum on trucks, these trucks wouldn't be totalled from hitting a plastic and aluminum 4-wheeler......
It had a heavy steel tube GX grill/moose guard, folded it up. Speed of the pickup was a factor. Can't make them out of steel, too heavy and rust.
They made them out of steel for over 50 years, plastic and aluminum are cheaper to build, more expensive at the parts counter......
MPG wasn’t a real high priority back then
Yea a 90’s truck when they still knew how to make em likely would have driven away from that with only minor damage.
Not true guys-I've worked this business plus towing for years. There is no strength in a fiberglass hood or aluminum or steel hood. When there's 50 tons of momentum the damage is the same. I cleaned up a wreck in the late 80's of a 74 4300 International that hit 7 elk on I-90 Easton. Completely ripped the steer axle, fuel tanks, radiator and hood off. One went through the windshield and half of it ended up in the sleeper. Driver survived. What would help is people drive for road conditions.
yes, and I will add: If you know what goes on and are awake, you can let off the brakes and choose the ditch. People take a skid and leave their foot on the brake as it develops, instead of recovering. I saw a truck video of a multiple car and truck accident, and one truck driver was proper and got stopped right up against the jackknifed rig without touching it. Another was not, and almost made it past on the left but for a car that was doing the same thing.
And don't forget the crumple zones that are engineered into all vehicles nowadays to help human survivability in the event of a crash which means a lot of parts get sacrificed and destroyed
When I worked for Schlumberger, ALL enployees had to take their in-house driver's training class in Kellyville, OK. 3 day course for LVT, with class, road, and range time. They have their own skid pad that they use to reinforce the fact that "the sliding wheel leads". If the front wheels lock, vehicle maintains straight. If rear wheels lock, back end comes around. If trailer wheels lock, trailer starts to come around. Their emphasis is to teach the driver not to allow the wheels to lock up by use of ABS, or when ABS goes out, quick pumping the brake pedal to apply braking force without locking wheels. You drive through the skid pad multiple passes. The instructor can lock up different axles independently so the driver doesn't know what's coming, and then has to respond appropriately with how we were taught. Great learning exercise, especially for people that never did donuts on a snow covered parking lot as a teenager. That crumple zone saved me in 2017. I hit an oak tree at 55mph and walked away with a bruised sternum. Totaled my 2011 F-150; barely scratched the tree. It's still standing, tall and proud as ever. Don't drive exhausted, or even tired. A 15 minute drive home from work almost ended my life.
Bungee cords are best on the bouncy hitch platform. I wonder if the freezer is full of food too?
I have the dash cam footage of that wreck, I will see about making a video this weekend. It will make your *** pinch right up.
An acquaintance posted this one up, Fast forward to 2 minutes 40 seconds to see how close he came to a head on from a jackwagon passing on top of a hill. He was so lucky be at that intersection.
This morning in Wisconsin.
there was video of that on the news. The guy got some good footage till he turned and ran.
If your going to take videos you have to stand your ground.
My neighbors got a new range yesterday. Same crew of enormous men delivered it. They remembered the 8' chest freezerthey put in my cellar. What do you do with a freezer that big. I answered with one word: "bodies".
I got to ask Truck Shop, is that leaf spring the way it suppose to be or am I seeing right it was hard enough hit to unwrap it from the leaf spring mount? I'm glad to be off the roads, I don't think my semi is seeing the interstate again till spring/summer era.
No-that spring is toast. The frame horn is broken away from frame that holds the spring. And it's as I thought, the front 4' of frame rail is twisted inward about 4" in a taper to front. The steer axle is bent. insurance investigator showed up yesterday and we both looked it over and came to the conclusion it has a 98% chance of going for salvage. Totaled.
This incident could have been much worse if not for the traction control/ABS and steering control taking over to slow our truck in a very short distance 46mph to 13 mph on ice. It stayed straight.
that was an impressive bit of driving, all your guy could do is what he did and clearly it was slicker than snot out there. It might have ABS and steering control features but those can be defeated a bit by ham-handed driving.
A woman driver.
How many miles does she have driving? Not asking for anything negative, just wondering if she has enough so she doesn't fall apart over this.
Her husband was a OO and she team drove with him, some it effects some it doesn't.
Yea the hoods would still fold up. But there isn't 10's of thousands of BS to break in the front end on them though. Also bet the frames are way lighter. That can't be a very good moose bumper if a half ton folded it up and it writes off the truck, a moose would do a lot more damage and they are suppose to be drivable after hitting one. What's the point of having one if that minor of wreck writes off the truck anyway?
For sure. Someone with 100k miles might need therapy, someone with 2 million will be telling their buddies about the idiot driver they almost turned into a grease spot.
I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to these things, but a full-size pickup coming into the truck like that might possibly total most trucks. We have Ali-Arc bumpers on most of our trucks, and a crash like that would have messed up our 9400 pretty good I think, especially if it was loaded to 100k. Not much to give other than the iron.
Yeah... a smack like that is doing damage to anything, old or new.
That's true but only the pickup had much speed, I could see if impact of semi was like 40 mph, but it was like 20 mph? That's not very fast and those pickups are nothing but plastic and fiberglass they fold up like nothing. But then again seeing all those aluminum bumpers and how light they are I don't think any would survive even a deer at much speed.
The rails in our trucks are 7/16" not 3/8" standard rails. It had a 3/16 steel bumper. Suladas-give it up.
comparing a moose traveling usually at 0 relative speed to a 5000 pound steel truck frame coming at you at ~35? Seriously, give it up.
Problem with some "older" stuff that got hit was they'd keep running it after a smack too thinking eh it's american steel it can take it all the whole the frame is tweaked somewhere, cracked lol.
Even with crumple zones and whatnot it's still a 5000 pound hammer if it meets a loaded truck.
Correct, the kinetic energy is huge-and in some cases on ice vehicles speed up. WSP figured the pickup was in the 55 mph zone on impact.
It would be interesting to see how one of our Australian style bullbars would have gone. I think with the forces involved, if the bullbar did minimise damage to the truck, it would probably cause subsequently more damage to the pick-up.
The bumpers installed on OTR trucks are not meant for stopping damage from vehicle accidents {animals only}. To me they just add weight and are ugly plus another thing to deal with. And in some cases drivers won't or don't raise the hood to check fluids because they don't want to deal with it especially on a slick parking lot.
Problem with all these fancy bars and whatnot you won't feel it hitting a moose on the kinetic energy but hitting a 5000 lb object at any speed the kinetic energy the bullbar or any bars don't absorb has to be transferred somewhere. So now where the front of the vehicle was supposed to absorb the kinetic energy as why all vehicles crumple, the bar just transfers it somewhere else i.e. the driver. Rather have a vehicle crumple like an accordion than turn my insides into jello from kinetic energy or get sever whiplash to my spine somewhere.
Exactly, I have a couple customers with heavy ass pipe bumpers on vocational trucks, I just know If they ever have a wreck of any decent energy that the frame is smoked.
Don't disagree, but the reason we have the big bumpers is these trucks used to run through Yellowstone on the way out to Idaho or Utah. We installed them because $3000 seems a whole lot better than the thought of driving another truck from ND to hitch the wagon back up to, and whatever the tow bill would be to get it the 600+ miles home. I've hit deer at 65, the guy I work with ran over 5 at one time. Little blood on the bumper until the next wash was the only evidence. Either time we'd have been dead on the shoulder.
It's a gamble for some to take, all depends on where some live and your lifestyle. Playing bumper cars in the city going to hurt, playing whack a mole in the country you aren't going to feel it.
We have had five or six that were protected and twice as many that made no difference.
As stated earlier, had the pickup been driven to conditions would be a moot point. Hit the truck effective force 55mph on ice, had to be toodling right along to still be managing 55 so the 'Old Guy' was well outside sensible driving. Nearly wiped out a car load of Idiot Middle Aged women headed south into our town on two lane MO secondary highway last summer, driver started passing a slower (NOT Under Speed Limit) car in a CORNER on Double Yellow into a short straight I was coming off a bridge into that STILL had Double yellow. I pulled onto shoulder and the idiots stopped as she also nearly lost control and HAD to pull over, the driver yelling at me "Why were you driving so fast in a Semi( Dump Truck)?". So I point at the Two Yellow Lines and asked her "Are you too stupid to be Driving? Double Yellow is NO PASSING in Any State". She blurbed out something and the four idiots loaded back up headed for town. I got License number called MoSHP, they said would look into it. Heard nothing since.
A frightening percentage of drivers are STUPID. Drive a truck up or down steep hills you get to see just how stupid. Killington Route 4 is infamous. 10 miles of steep each side of the mountain, majority of drivers are from out of state as Killington is Vermont's biggest ski area, "The Beast Of The East". Dark the other night, Seth driving the Top Kick with backhoe behind, crawling up the mountain in the truck lane at 35 MPH. I was following a few hundred yards behind, both with flashers going. A Mercedes SUV came flying up behind me at I'd guess 65 (50 MPH speed limit). He jumped on the brakes behind me, then moved to the fast lane, his front bumper about even with my rear. Despite having a clear lane, he didn't pass. A dozen cars piled up behind him as we climbed a few more miles. Above where the road narrowed to one lane, he blasted past me forcing oncoming traffic into the breakdown lane. There he was, stuck between us 10 miles down the other side, tailgating the trailer, but no opportunity to pass. We made it to Rutland. In the city there is one difficult left turn. Two turn lanes, trucks with trailers can't make the turn without the hind wheels crossing the dotted line. Whether I know the trucker or not, if I'm in the left of the two left turn lanes I pause, preventing idiots from placing themselves under the tires. This night I did the same. An aggressive driver in one of those Japanese heavily modified screamers tried to squeeze between me & the back of the trailer. I guess he thought he was Paul Williams from Fast & Furious. No actual sheet metal contact, but close!
99% driving far and beyond any automotive system capability or their own lack of skills to drive expecting the machine to save their stupid asses.
It amazes me how people think they don't need to slow down when the roads are covered in ice and snow.
Vehicles are built with the idea and sales pandering that the car/pickup someone is about to buy will do everything but bake a cake. False sense of security-it causes people to think they are a better driver than they really are. Which goes back to the old phrase of {Overloading Your ***}. In a hurry to go no where except the hospital or wrecking yard.
I may or may not be one of those who may enjoy doing donuts on the interstates.....
Two new ones finished except plates installed. Won't take long and both will look ten years old. Won't be two months and one of these will have a bent bumper. 1 of 3 Coronado SD122's and 1 of 5 T990 KW's. Interiors will be filthy and stink, bit's of food ground into the seat, a busted windshield from following to close. All new trucks come with drum brakes because of me-no more air disc.
I bought a new Western Star 4700 this year, They do not come with what I call dust guards for the brakes. I asked the parts people about availability and they said they are not available. Meritor 46K axles, FWD
If those trucks came with drum guards I would have taken them off. They hold the road sand in during winter a scrub the shoes.
Truck Shop, I hope the guys with those new W900L's take care of them, those are way too nice to trash!
Those T990's are twice the truck of the W900L's. Fortunately the 900's have fairly decent drivers.
I know they are TS, I have driven a T880 and couldn't help but like it but don't love the looks of either those or the 990. I like catching myself looking over my shoulder to admire the W900L when I am walking away from it because I love the looks.
But you can't see yourself when driving it.
Are now seeing the severity of Air Disc at the firm I drive at. Last three weeks Nine seal failures, all on Rear Drives save one that had ALL Drives leaking and only 27k miles. Two trailers had weeping occurring on Packed Bearing hubs so also received three seal swaps. Mekaniks there are blaming assemblers. Heat is showing out.
Look at this moron - Happen to own a 420DIT and it's a heavy pig even without a bucket or a set of forks on the front. I don't care what the manual says or the commercials show, that load is grossly overweighing the truck - there is simply not enough truck to handle that load safely.
What does that 420 weigh 20,500?
Part is heat and brand of seal.
First guy I have seen that wants to put them back on. I really never understood the benafit of having them. we drive a lot of dusty gravel roads, and snow. All mine are in the scrap pile. Its really hard to knock a shoe loose when its froze to the drum.
One fella around hear plugged the holes in the the backing plates so you couldn't see the shoes. If they can't see them they can't be worn out........
That's Einstein level work lol
Should be around 16,000. Bob
I'm not sure where I stand on this. We don't run covers on the drivers, but covers on the trailer brakes seem to prolong shoe life by at least double on trailers that see 75% of their miles on gravel.
Too much for a gas but fine in a diesel. 24k on a gooseneck behind 1 ton nothing wrong at all, however I question his math a bit, if it's 24k trailer and 32k gross, no way a gas job weight 8k without a lot of extra weight, that's the weight of a diesel.
The part that annoys me is you can run with/without, but drivers and passenger side must match. It might not make sense, but why should an inspection fail if one side has a cover and other doesn't? Some things are so dumb.
My 2008 F350 SRW 6.8L v10 crosses the scale at 8,000 pounds today. Extended cab, long bed, 4wd, tool box w/tools. No tool box, no operator and my truck weighs 7,250 pounds. His weight isn't way off, those Super Dutys are heavy, gas or diesel.
I think the 420DIT's maxed out around 21 and change depending on your options. The base 420 hoe is something like 15,500. It's a wonder more of the pickup truck super haulers don't end up getting tossed around by their trailers lol
It did happen just a few miles from my house, and an innocent man lost his life when the tractor toppled over on him. I made a thread about it a few years ago.
TS the seals failing are OE, most are still warranty where the dealer pays labor and supplies seals again OE. Petes get PACCAR boxed and WStars get Freightliner boxed units. Appears same seals for Meritor axles. Trailer seals were replaced out of stock on shelf in shop, not certain whose those were. Driver had a written warning as to weeping by MoDOT inspector, pads were not contaminated yet. Another negative for packed as to my Other post.
Freightliner OE seals are made by National I believe.
Thanks
420DIT with enclosed cab and extendahoe should come in around 18.5K with no bucket or forks. Doesn't have anything to do with gas or diesel, it's the SRW part. I own a '18 F350 SRW 6.7 and a 420DIT enclosed cab with extendahoe. Without a doubt a 420 on a dual tandem behind a SRW 350 is way too much for the truck. Make it a dually and it gets better. Either engine, 7.3 gas or 6.7 diesel will pull the load as Ford puts these engines in 650's however it's the stopping part that's more important.
I can't speak to Ford, but I know Dodge ran the exact same rear axle on the 3500 SRW and DRW for years and years only difference was the width, so I fail to see how it's safer? Yes a dually is more stable and more tires on the ground for stopping, but neither are a factor in normal service provided the trailer has adequate brakes, and if it doesn't the dually isn't going to help any noticeable amount, a 26k trailer without brakes will push the DRW nearly as bad as the SRW. I pulled 21k regularly behind my 3500 SRW for years, there was never a point I found it too much for the truck, and many times up to 26k, and still the same thing, I would pull that all day long without a second thought. The only limit was running a slip tank and tools in the truck I had to watch rear axle weight. The diesel is far superior with the exhaust brake, the stopping power of that far exceeds anything extra you get from the dually.
And that is why guys like the hoe hauler know they can tow with the SRW trucks, false confidence that stops in the first disaster, otherwise all is good. I too tow heavy on a SRW Ford know the limits know the design is over rated and can be pushed which I have done but stayed away from situations where could be really bad really fast. I check my brakes functions crawl under and around my trailers making certain all is good before start off where a lot of guys take for granted it was good yesterday and today the day they do not check it all fails. Weak sidewall on one tire at speed and that entire setup is upside down in a ditch of does not take out a few autos in process, that seems a common repeat where brakes are worthless in a side slide after a blow out.
The never ending pickup DRW/SRW/gas/diesel overloaded/not overloaded. Almost as good as the G100 is brittle and will snap before a G70. I'm sure I posted it before.
I towed alot of stuff with my pickup some felt safe some didnt but i was lucky. I cant believe how my truck handles stuff like this even with the hitch to high. It truly didnt fill like i was pulling anything.
I feel ya.. I don't know what the rock box with 2 compaction wheels and a 24 " 330 bucket weights but the 2k h20 truck on a 10k tag was.....pushing it
Most of the retards that get into trouble with a hoe behind a tonner deserve it, IMO. You cannot load it like a semi, and drive it like you're behind the wheel of your Suburban. If these guys actually respected the rig they are driving, and drove it like they weighed 80k, there would be a fraction of these stories.
True!
There you go wanting to apply common sense Shimmy1. You should know better. The little youtube video with the srw pulling the backhoe - the driver says "I'm horribly overloaded for this truck" right in the video. At least he's got that part right (of course if he's smart enough to know that- it begs the question then of "why is he doing it?"). 2021 GCWR on a SRW 7.3 with the tall rears he has is only 23,500. And he crosses the scale at 32,000? From what I saw the truck was running 4-5,000 rpms getting 5.2mpg only hauling 32,000lbs. The little truck sounds totally wound out, I'd hate to listen to that poor thing howl. What part of that makes any sense? I guess it gets Youtube views. CM1995 has it right on the Youtube guy being a moron. Then again, its nothing like the wood haulers:
We have independent Stave company at New Florence and Salem MO so Slabs, Blocks and Bolts get hauled A LOT for wood burners. See quite a few as those CO!!
Well there is just something about hauling firewood that causes people to outdo the next moron. {Ralph look at that-why he ain't got no load of wood. Hell he could 'a piled another two cord on there. Heck just last week we got 4 cord on my 1/2 ton, we did blow a couple tires, broke a spring and bent the axle but look at the money we saved!} Morons come in all shapes and sizes, most of them in these videos have a hat size of 3.
Adding new meaning to the phrase "stuck in the mud."
^^^ Septic tank?
Or heating oil
Just a handy "side dump truck" for those tight places!
I had a 1969 Jeep 1/2 short bed i think they are 7 feet bed Dana 44 axles one extra leaf spring on each side out of a f500. I would stand on the tailgate and stack wood as high as i could. I realy liked it but some one like it way more and i sold it. That guy some how broke 2 axles and tore the bed up. He had trouble finding axles so i put a 9inch ford under it for him he moved after that so i dont know how it worked out. I got one out of a van because the jeep pickups have wider axles than other pickups. If money was no deal i would find another jeep pickup it made other 4x4s look like 2wds . Theres something about a pickup that was made to be a 4x4 not a converted 2wd. I had a 1972 f250 it sat up high and had a good 390 but they are worthless as a 4x4 the jeep could towbar it places it could never go.
We lost our collective asses selling firewood in 1980. I always thought it was too many guys and equipment, but maybe it was because we did not haul jackwagon loads? The best little hauler was a 1968 Datsun pickup that dad got new when he worked on I-82 between Selah and Ellensburg. We had plywood sides that reached up over the cab for a little porch. It would haul a full cord of split and dried, legit. That thing weighed a ton, hauled a ton, and rode like it empty. It was an epic kidney beater. One of the advertisements in 68 was one of the trucks set upside down and backwards on another, going down the road.
Because of all the high class winery's here those are called privet wine vats. Looks for all the world like it broke through a vat of {White Port}.
I had a 1968, my father had a 1977, I then had a 1976 full sized Cherokee. I loved them! The 68 had a barely adequate inline six, three speed on the column. 1977 had a 360 V8, three speed stick, 3.73 ratio. Cherokee was 360 4 speed & 4.11 ratio, nicest highway 4 x 4 I've ever driven. I've had 20+ Jeeps over the years. Now, I'm part owner of a 1998 Wrangler, great machine, & Mrs. B lets me drive her 2020 Grand Cherokee occasionally. I've always loved Jeeps. Yes, I still have the 1947 CJ2A.
My pickup had a 350 Buick th400 3.89 gears. I rebuilt every thing on it i replaced the front springs with scout springs to move the front axle forwared . It was a great pickup but the didnt like summer it would run hot i met others that had a jeep with a 350 Buick that had cooling problems also. I have 6 Jeeps the best 2 are a m38al and a 47 CJ2a. I am thinking of selling the m38a1 i got it running and drove it one summer and havnt had it on the road after that. When i got it i wanted a CJ to modify but i hated to cut up a army jeep. I need to figure out what its worth some how.
That truck reminded me of a guy I know that hauled fire wood. He went to a place with a load and the lady said back in here and dump it. Back in he did, all of a sudden, down he went, a septic tank. The lady said "Sorry I forgot about that". He had to unload by hand and get a wrecker. FWD
I have backed into one with a loaded dump truck trying to do a favor for a homeowner with some free dirt. He told me where he wanted it, I tried to get it there, guess who donated the labor and machine time to replace the tank! Lesson learned...
The reason why we turn down every request to dump our excess dirt on residential lots. No good deed goes unpunished.
At least it is leaning toward the house making it easier to throw it into the basement hole to where the stove is.
Reminds me of a time when Bob M. was delivering hay with a 50's cornbinder single axle flatbed. He cut the corner at the customer's driveway and over she went on the driver's door. The passenger door pops open, out comes his husky pup and out climbs Bob. The customer comes out and Bob naturally says " I hope that's where you wanted the hay!" My brother did indeed help barn the hay. One pickup load at a time.
That loading dock dig and haul off I did last month, I took it right past the corner of the drainfield, but the tank was easy to see. It was exposed! That is what the dirt will get used for among other things. And I will be placing it with an excavator.
A month ago we were digging a ditch too late in the season. There is a time we should stop, it's just too muddy. Everybody who drives past has a better way to do it. A retired gentleman stopped, he wanted a specific size boulder he could move with his son in law's little Kubota backhoe. He wanted big,...not too big. They had to be delivered to a specific spot, under the porch. Happened to be a day his road was a quagmire, but..."It'll be cold at 4:00 AM tomorrow!" I didn't fill his order. If he wants it bad enough to be his problem, we got plenty of boulders. I'm sorry, you have so many specifications, free delivery of free boulders gets overcomplicated. I have a less fussy place to put them.
You sound unhappy willie B- do you need a hug? Maybe positive outlook emotional supportiveness training? Get your Human Resources department going on that. We can't just be a bunch of grouchy old guys trying to get work done.
11* right now will drop to 1*. Long day, worked in the shop pond early this morning. Then left with the tow headed to Pendleton to get a rig with a frozen load on it. Bed wetting driver quit, walked off and left it parked in a lot that hadn't been plowed in a residential area. Returned with it-full service tractor and trailer, shoes,drums and disc brake pads. Highway 11 was a sheet of ice, 40 to 45 tops.
I like that you got it done safely. Nothing to like about the conditions.
Oh, meow, meow. -24 F this morning, high of -17 F, low tonight of -31 F. Here is where the real men live
And sheep are nervous. Bob
-35 C here tonight. -46 with the chill. Steel becomes as brittle as glass. And I have 10 graders out ripping ice off city streets. At least they’re getting a holiday premium
Bugger that, you guys can have it. When it gets down to 0 Celsius we whinge and carry on.
I was born in Winnipeg. I remember the cold......
Um, I'm from North Dakota, not Montana. No sheep here...
Our overnight low tonight is forecast for 64. It is so foggy, it was hard to see some of the better (shot higher) fireworks.
People from the northern tier think there as tough as a nickle steak. I've worked in -30 with a 25mph wind. The older you get the arthritis starts working you over. You can pick a tier out of a crowd, originally 6' foot tall, by 75 shrank to 4' shriveled head gnarled hands wearing plaid on plaid with a plaid hat. He's a Rocker.
Shift change. You had better have the arctic rated fuel hose on your slip tank.
Careful out there DB2.
We always work in pairs in these conditions TS. I can picture exactly the type.
DB, I can see you aren't particular about what machines you buy. Which do you like best?
I buy whatever seemed to be a deal at the time. The Cat is nice but requires a bit more specialized operator due to the joyous sticks. The Volvo’s are the most comfortable but not made anymore. The Deere is as simple as it gets. The old Champion’s are the stalwarts and just keep plowing.
Nope, we can't all be, but I can.
Sorry if I’m derailing the thread. Starter change under the big tarp. Diesel fired heater made it balmy under there.
This one was tougher. Broken radius rod right on the street. Plenty of warm up breaks in the truck. I’ve been doing this 40 years and still get a kick out of it. Each day brings new challenges. As the owner/boss I lead by example and don’t expect a hired man to do anything I wouldn’t. I have some good people in place and treat them according. Happy New year everyone and may 2022 bring an end to the chaos Covid has/is causing.
At lease the vehicle you are working on has a built in jack......
Yes handy for sure. At that point the tire had been removed for access to the irksome part.
Sometimes it seems like a guy does more chasing and fixing than plowing some days Keep up the good work
Not much width of roads in Winnipeg compared to out here in Alberta. Most of the roads were concrete with expansion joints. Must make it difficult to clean when people don't move their cars off the street. It's been a long time since I have been back there. Do they use more asphalt now?
I know you are working out in the field under not nice conditions but I would like to see a block or jack under the axle. Hate to have someone climb in cab to get out of the wind and bump a lever.
That was the just the time the picture was taken right after the tire came off. We set the hub on the ground when we were actually changing the rod.
All new streets are concrete. Old ones are frequently overlaid with asphalt.
New Year’s Day early a.m. He had turned off of a normally-busy 2-lane highway.
Another weeks supply of firewood... Ed
Re: the load of pallets. I work in an industrial area and everybody leaves their spare pallets in stacks by the road to give to those that need them. They seem to disappear very fast these days and have seen similarly loaded pickup trucks departing the area headed for the city I presume. Is there a pallet shortage to go along with every other shortage that makes them more valuable than usual?
Most refrigerated loads are slip sheeted these days.
This one has to be the winner surely. That's a pretty good effort simply getting that many on there.
There certainly is over here. A shortage of suitable timber to build new ones and a shortage of workers to repair old ones. In the lead up to Xmas there were rumours of a likely beer shortage because of a pallet shortfall. Thankfully that hasn’t happened yet... a beer less summer would be unbearable.
This fella pulled out basically in front of me then moved to the shoulder, did not catch that had 7 each side bottom rows and six across the top(20 5x5 bales) should be around 1000-1400# a bale, on a tandem dually goose and a Single Axle tractor, IL plates. Three Ropes, end to end and Two ratchet Straps one across Each End.
I don't know if they are more valuable than normal, but they are like meth money by me. The "haulers" go around and pick up or steal the pallets, transport them to a buyer, they used to be worth around $3 each. The last guy I know that was doing it, was hauling them sometimes from here to Kansas City, which is about 4 hours away, because they paid more. I couldn't see how he was making much over fuel $$$. Usually they have either a pickup or gooseneck trailer with them stacked to the sky. I have a neighbor that's in the game, and they're a bunch of meth heads - who have surrounded their house with a pallet farm. I'll get a picture of it. I cynically look at it as one step above stealing catalytic converters.
Our pathetic 'Neighbor' that was once a owner of our place "collects" Aluminum and Copper, cans, AC Condensers, piping all manner of the stuff, it sits inside a shack on his place where I know price was high enough to make good money and he just sat on it. Found out later that was just after the required Photo ID and Name to be on large salvage volumes. NONE of it ever moves now.
You would think he'd be trying to peddle it off $30-50 at a time...
At the local scrap yards here, if you bring in more than $25 worth of copper, you will be mailed a check. For steel or aluminum products, they hand you cash over the counter. This way they have time to cancel a check if said copper was deemed to have been stolen. From what the scrap dealer told me, it really cut down on the meth heads stealing copper. No more instant reward, too high a risk of getting caught before your money showed up.
That would be nice if it changed here, but I think the scrap yards like how much money it makes them, if they believe it's stolen they can offer next to nothing.
Hard to tell what kind of pickup it is. Pan weighs at least 16k. Makes my head hurt
Dude used the emergency stop power pole, that's in the drivers manual don't you know lol
CANNOT EVEN imagine dragging a pan like that with a pickup!!! Can hear it now 'Out the Way Out the Way, NO BRAKES, NO BRAKES!!!!'
That stereotype is no joke lol. I took a load of scrap I was saving up to the scrapyard when I was moving. If I ever want to try meth, I know exactly where to go lol.
Biggest problem with roads like that is the idiots on them. Had nasty freezing rain a few times this winter like that and it's tough to drive in for sure, but it's the people who have no idea how to drive that make it 1000x worse.
Here's a freight rate overload-A 42,000 lb net load of processed potatoes shipping point Rigby Id to Atlanta is paying $13,000 and the broker had a hard time finding a truck for that, trucking companies wanted $15,000. 1 1/2 years ago it payed $7,000.
How do you write an accident report on something like that? I mean those trucks appeared to be stopped and just drifted sideways in to the cars.
Dahm that's insane money, i'm in the wrong business. Although I still don't think I could drive a truck all day even for that kind of money.
Well the first problem was the truck driver left himself with no out-supers will get you. Rule #1 find a spot on the low side or in the rough. #2 don't pull up in clogged traffic-it leaves you no out. #3 If it's that slick park it or put some chains on.
Who would have thought cars made such good chocks.........
Darn true. I am as guilty as the next person about not realizing I gave up my outs before it was too late.
Then again even if the truck had stopped with nothing around them I would not put it past some idiot in a car to get pissed and try to pass on the right!
Drivers of cars, especially drivers of Subaru cars place themselves in harm's way predictably. Seth just got his CDL, I'd have to fight him to drive. He drove off, truck & trailer with backhoe while I was still loading materials in the van. I got to the turn off a paved quiet town road, into a development. He was waiting. The driveway we were going to is very long, more of a Y off the narrow paved development road. He wanted to back to his right into the development road, and down the very windy road 1/4 mile to better bake the turn into the driveway surrounded by fence & bushes. I blocked traffic with my van from one direction backing diagonally across both lanes while he got off the town road. He was efficient about backing in despite turning to his right. The back down the many turns in the development road was slow. A Range Rover came behind me. Despite me being in center of the 16' wide road with flashers & he had a good view of the big truck with trailer, he was trying desperately to squeeze past us. Eventually he figured out he HAD to wait, put on his flashers & followed. A Subaru came behind the Range Rover. He was determined he was passing. Range Rover & I teamed to prevent that. Before backing into the driveway, Seth stopped to allow them to pass. Before the truck & trailer were into the driveway, the Subaru had turned around! He was back being impatient again!
park and put on some chains, or my favorite, park. If you chain the drives and hang drag chains that does not stop the steers from going sideways. I did that 3 weeks ago, the truck just kept pushing the steers at the curb. I could not wish myself back to the yard so I kept milking it till I got a slight cut going.
If a truck has a drop axle----raise it.
On the rock to the church haul and haul off, I would return from haul away, had to make a 90 degree turn into a narrow alley with not one but TWO utility poles one standing guard at each side, so turn signal ON, Brake Lights on Opposite side ON and swing JUST a Bit into the common turn lane then swing Hard right could nearly ALWAYS see a IDJIT in the Mirror looking to cut thru on the right. WTH are these morons thinking, NOT just one or two but EVERY Damn Time. Then get to hauling rock, move into turn lane from other direction and hug the right edge line, got horns nearly every time as if was gonna cut in front of them. Nearly All of them would go half a block to a gas station or slip into a adjoining parking space. Had one Dumass decide the Alley entrance was a parking spot, I actually got out and told him to move it or calling cops, mumbled something but moved and just down the street into a cross painted NO Parking spot, upon leaving DID Call Hermann's Finest.
If have Google Earth or Google Maps, can see what we had to work from just S and E of St George Church on 4th St Hermann. Two large white roofs Parochial school, active traffic ALL day for K-6th grades. Small hand drawn box with three Xs is site we removed and refilled with rock, had to come up and return down the Alley due to school traffic, white gravel area was earlier parking and is still there. The Tree line is essentially a Bluff face just S of the Alley. Can see Pole Shadows on Street at alley entry
Whole new Subaru driver story today: Seth was unloading the backhoe on a secondary road with no shoulder. I had the van with flashers 100 feet away & three triangles spaced out to warn drivers in my lane. A Subaru approached in the other lane, I'll say 50 MPH in a 35 MPH speed zone, never let up a bit despite passing a couple feet from Seth. I stepped to the center of his lane. At first I thought he wasn't going to slow for me either, but he did. I asked: "Would it kill you to slow down for this?" He responded: "Stay in the cab, or on the trailer no problem." I: "What if somebody doesn't see you coming?" "Diesels running, they might not hear you." He: "That's not my problem." I: "You kill somebody, you might be wrong." He came back with an insult. I: "You sir, are an *******!" He was still suggesting my parents weren't married as he drove out of sight.
You must have a odd type of Subaru owner there. Because around here it's not the Subaru owner. It's the {Hot **** in a large pickup or Tahoe who is tailgating or passes you on a 30 mph city street}.
With the Dump Truck I have a LOOSE Shovel or a Broom for cleanout at hand, A--hole plays that game the shovel is sacrificed. Seen it done more than once; "Ooops, sorry, musta slipped outa my hand,, And How fast were you really going?" When working off a trailer a sacrificed boomer or a loose chain end will really tear up some stuff.
A bar, shovel or cinch is just wrong. I had a friend, long passed now, kept a small bucket of gravel at his feet to throw out the window. He said the drivers threw it back to the trailer and tailgaters and hi beamers got peppered. Who knew where the rocks came from? A rock kicked or tossed is much more deniable.
Highway patrol around here is known for throwing flares, mag lights, and other heavy objects at windshields.
The best for people roaring past a jobsite on a really quiet residential street is pulling out in front of them with a piece of equipment. If they can't stop in time without an issue they are going way too fast. I have zero patience for people doing 30-40 mph only a few feet beside you while trying to work and in most cases going over posted limit.
We always squeeze people way down with cones and trucks so they can run the Daytona 500 next to us lol
When I plan ahead, I set up a slalom course with road cones. They can blast through at speed, bit they will damage their Subaru. Didn't have cones with me yesterday. Would have unloaded in the driveway, but the lady who owns the place is doing the Air B&B thing & there were 5 cars in the driveway. She had notified them we would be there, some had moved their cars to a place we could work around. Sure enough, one guy waited for me to get set up, then opened the garage door. Sure enough, there were two cars in the garage. I asked if he needed to get out? He: "If you're only going to be here a few minutes you are fine." I: "No, we'll be here hours." He: "I'll have to ask you to move in a couple hours." Minutes later, I wanted to get into the cellar to check for any wires or pipes exiting the building. Doors were locked, no answer at any doors when I knocked, despite a dog flipping out barking furiously! I hate renters!
The Vermont state car is the Subaru. A friend of mine after 20 years of driving dump truck decided he was going to try his hand at driving for Fed Ex line haul, so 9pm to 7am from Burlington Vt to Springfield Mass if I am getting the story correct. First night no problem, there are check points throughout the night that they need to make or corporate office has a problem, as they are making connection flights at the airport. Second night snowstorm, cant slowdown as they have to make the checkpoints, My buddy has the driver pull over and he hitch hikes home didnt think it was worth it to be pilled up in some ditch for no good reason.
Don't get me wrong, Subaru is a suitable car. I just observe 8 out of 10 idiots causing a problem are driving Subaru. Of course, 6 out of 10 cars on Vermont roads are Subaru.
Around these parts its the new honda cars that pass you as you are accelerating, then go slower than the limit once they are in front of you only to make their turn into Dairy Queen... 4 Wheelers are concerned about everything but safety and courtesy while driving. Being up high in the truck you realize how many people are on the phone!!!
I'd say I average once a week somebody coming toward me crosses into my lane while they are texting. They used to hold their phone at the top of the steering wheel, these days they are in stealth mode, in their lap, or on the console.
I thought the state car of VT was the Prius....
Wasn't on here much yesterday, was on a fetch picking up a break down-transmission electrical issues. The boss was driving this one-----He couldn't believe how or why so many wouldn't move over to give me room along side highway. Especially the trucks--I replied {How many of our own drivers do you think don't don't move over? I bet 50%}.
Subaru certainly outnumbers them. The school my wife teaches at, the parking lot ratio: 15 Subaru, 5 Prius, 6 Japanese other models, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Only the custodian sometimes drives a pickup.
Vermont, it's law. Move over. If you can't move over, slow down. I'm not saying a majority comply with the law, quite the contrary! Some speed up.
There are a lot of laws here to but its like the wild west. I wish they would crack down on some stuff. I got stopped behind the school 35 in a 25 didnt get a ticket but if you do 25 there will be a car wanting to push you . Why dont the set up a camera in these spots?
Between myself and my business partner, I do most of the trucking, I would bet twice a day pulling into the jobsite I have a ridiculous story about being on the road, Its like the world is out to get you, high alert all of the time waiting for some random attack. Also snow tires, you can have an all wheel drive whatever that gives you all the confidence in the world, but tires stop cars not brakes. I put Hakkapeliitta studded tires on a front wheel drive Toyota Corolla, never had an issue.
Same here-but people think laws and rules are for someone else.
Once again, can Miraculously come up with a ACCIDENTALLY Dropped or Tossed piece of lumber (Cribbing) or a loose Tool like a shovel or a Come a long that broke or a cleanup broom and got in the way!! They lose tires at speed will reconsider ever being too close to a scene again as will those attempting to avoid That carnage. I could also muster a half dollar of Pennies, "Sorry Officer, Had my hand in my Pocket the Car got so Close and I startled from it pulled hand out so quick brought the change TOO."
tailgaters ... I've always thought of an old muffler rigged on a drop mechanism. Only thing that stops me is the risk of getting an innocent. Even thought of used oil in the rear washer tank. Unfortunately... IN NC ... it's a felony thanks to the Jr. Johnson and Lee Petty types. See link. When a tailgater gets too close, washing my windshield seems to make them back off. https://www.streetmusclemag.com/new...,of the largest spectator sports in the world .
In the early morning hours on my way to work if someone is pushing me, there is a certain spot where I pull over and the pusher can't help but mash the pedal as they pass. 35% of the time there is a cop that likes to park obscured by a chain link fence. 35% of the time the blues come on.
I'd like to expand on your though. We have a number of crate pieces assembled with staples 2-4' long both ends like porcupines with staples sticking out. "I was so startled, I dropped it." Decades ago, we had Brian. Local bad boy, youngest of 5 sibling boys. Spoiled rotten by his mother, he was destined for trouble! Mommy spent the family's last dollar to buy him a Smokey & the Bandit Firebird. He must have thought we were friends of some sort, this 35 MPH residential street continued up to National Forest Road 10. There were no speed patrols on either Town road or Federal. Brian would fly through at 70 MPH a few times a day on a weekday, ten times on a weekend day. He'd lay on the horn 1/10th mile before to 1/10 mile past. I caught up to him one day, explained I was going to cut the horn wires on that @#$%^&*))_ car. I'd likely cut several other wires. After that, the horn blowing stopped, but frequency of passes did NOT diminish. Father had some military armor piercing 308 ammo. One Sunday, my niece & nephew were here, neighbors had their grandchildren on their front lawn, Artie had had enough! Brian went up. What goes up must come down. When he came down Father was sitting in his lawn chair 308 in hand. As he drew a bead on the Firebird. Brian locked the brakes. Then he must have rethought that logic, floored it. Later that day, the town constable next town came: "Brian says you tried to shoot him." Dad answered: "Not him, that engine block. & I wasn't going to shoot first time anyway. I was waiting to see if he came back." After that day, I'd hear the car roaring at 70, he'd slow to speed limit as he passed, then roar just past the corner. Brian was later tried for murdering his best friend, shooting him in the back of the head through the back window of a car as he drove away. It was declared a mistrial because a juror asked the ******* outside the courtroom how far 90 yards was. The ******* showed him.
I was a snoose user for years. If you chew or smoke, you know there is a sweet spot when the window is opened a bit where there is low pressure and the air {spit) is sucked out of the vehicle. I discovered that a few targeted shots usually got the tailgater to pass or back off.
The rolling crap house near the end is great.
so was the last one, I'll just keep rocking the wheels it will get loose soon. What, I am hitting another car? No worries I will get out. I'll bank off this tree as a last resort.
Videos of where arrogance, entitlement, impatience and ignorance collide. Turns out when you load a tag trailer heavy in the back it gets out of control, who knew
Actually, law dictates tow equipment. My first camper was terrifying. The salesman who sold it assured me a 3/4 ton (8600 LB) van needed no special tow hitch equipment. I made a few local trips, but my first 1000 mile round trip, I considered turning back. I passed a tiny sign on a secondary road. It said "trailer hitches." I passed, then turned around. The proprietor wanted to finish his sandwich, but assured me he could fix. Half hour later, I had sway control. I replaced that sway control 20 years later, it got rusty.
Thats cruel great but cruel
Some years back when I had my 84 Dodge 150-It had nice Hooker mandrel bent twice pipes with glass packs. Had a nice low rumble. There was this pos Suburban that was parked along the arterial on the way the way to work-every time I drove by the exhaust vibes would set off the alarm in that crapped out Suburban. One morning on the way to work I was thinking I could take my time, not much going on that day. I drove by the Suburban alarm goes off-I look in my mirror-I could see the guy running out to shut it off. I grinned. I took the next left, around the block I went pulled over and parked waited five minutes then drove back by and set the alarm off again. Looked in my mirror and this time the lights came on in all the neighboring houses. That was the last time he set the alarm.
TS you pulling over reminds me of when I worked at the cat dealer. I had a hour drive each way so we all get on the 4 lane and id pass them all. One older fella kept telling me I was the bait never did get a ticket on that drive tho I deserved many speeding tickets and for running well red yellows.......
My whole childhood I watched the USForest Service vehicles. The purchasing agent must have been a putz! I never actually saw the bid solicitation, but I know what it said: "Truck, four wheels". 90 % of USFS pickups were 1/2 ton Dodge stepside, 2 wheel drive 225 slant six. They had either three speed on the floor, or column. All got Forest Service green paint inside & out. I still hear the clang when you closed a door. In 1990 I had a new Chevy van, got caught in a tiny traffic jam. Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder just came out. Tom's character was taught to drive faster toward an obstruction, the cars will be gone by the time he got to them. This day that proved bad advice, and a 17 year old in a Mazda RX7, fourth car since getting his license, accelerated as he approached, No where to go, he hit me broadside. In the mean time the dealer loaned me a 1986 Dodge van. 225 slant six, four speed stick exited the floor mid load bed. The stick must have been 6 feet long. It wobbled around so bad, I had to feel for it or look for the knob to shift. The same tin on tin clang shutting a door as a 1974 Forest Service pickup. Truth is, it was fun to drive.
Yeah-well that that one didn't clang-and it had a 318 roller block with a Campbell 390 cu.in stroker kit. 266 duration roller cam roller rockers idled smooth, with the Dodge SB 302 heads, 625 cfm real Carter, Summit ready to run distributor. A high dollar 727 with limited slip. Would kill a good running chevy or ford.
I had a 1984 Dodge van slant 6 4 speed od . It was i think 4 years old one of the newest things i have ever owned but it was a clark lift work van. It had one seat and was in bad shape. I rebuilt the engine replaced alot of parts in the trans. I liked it other than i never drove it in the snow it was help less.
I can use some parts off this, wonder if they mind I just hitch up and drag it home.
Looks to me like if you want any of it- you better get it quick, because its headed to the scrapper. It did have one heck of a ripper on the back. Farmerlund should have had that whole ripper set up for his tile plow mount.
I know I wouldn't want to be close to that thing on the road, if all the flying dirt doesn't get you, once it's all gone the thing won't even be tied down on the left side anymore it might come off the trailer and get you
I meant no offense, only relating my take on 1970 to 1986 Dodge low bid trucks. I don't hate Dodge, my pride & joy is a 1956 Power wagon with two PTO winches & dump body I built. Yes, there is a dodge clang when I close a door. I once owned two 1936 Dodge trucks 1/2 ton & 1-1/2 ton. I sold them to brothers 20 miles away. They totally restored the bigger truck. I see it at shows. They promised I could drive it some day. One brother died, His son has taken over management of the LARGE antique collection. He has promised one day I'll get to drive it. They were sweet trucks, both 216 Cubic inch flat head six. If there was a difference in engines, I couldn't say. Bigger truck had lower gear ratio in rear. I'd say nothing remarkable in transmission. Bigger truck was four speed, smaller truck was three, I believe three top gears were the same ratio with only an extra low in the four speed.
I had one of those real carter 625 new out of the box, what a great piece of kit. I had it on a 302 Ford in a 66 mustang, that accelerator pump would just twist the tires off idle with nary a hesitation, with 2.80 gears! I scabbed it all together with a toploader 4 speed and really the wrong Mcleod flywheel, but I didn't know any better.
Don't shut the door so hard, just kidding.
Hauler showed up at the shop with this the other day
For hauling foam or what? I've got one half as long, half again as light, with full racks, guy used it to haul fiberglass tub shower units.
one about that length close to me its full of lawn mowers
B-52 on a cross country trip, on a trailer.. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...eing-trucked-across-the-central-united-states
I’m not 100% sure what he normally hauls with it. Made out of a 32ft camper. Talk about flimsy though . He loaded about 35-3700# on it
Bloody hell, if two fat guys stood in the front third of that trailer it would fold in half.
Bags of popcorn for the local theater.
Trailer is for hauling post holes?
last seen hauling in props for "yellow submarine"
No picture, but a co-worker of my wife has jumped into the RV thing with both feet. They purchased a brand new 34' 5th wheel, and plan to tow it with a Toyota Tundra. It takes a village of salesmen. The RV salesman says you can take your 34' 5th wheel anywhere, national parks state parks. No! Rainier's campgrounds are 27' max, same with Olympic National Park. Most older campgrounds are going to be severely limited. The 2022 Tundra has a tow rating of 12,000 pounds, and a payload capacity of up to 1940 pounds. The RV has a dry hitch weight of 1255, and gross weight of 11455. They paid an extra grand to have the dealership show them how to use the RV too. :facepalm: Thankfully my darling wife is able to separate her work people from us. This is a crapshow I want no part of .
We bought a tow behind in 2001. That first was 6000 Gross. It didn't work for us, we traded that same year for an ultralite with two slides. It weighs 6050 Gross. I tow with a 6 liter 2013 Chevy 2500 van with 4 wheel drive conversion. Tow rating is 10,000, but I think reduced a bit for 4 wheel drive. Early in our outings we met a couple with 8000 LB gross fifth wheel they towed with a stick shift 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma. He said they had been to Alaska. Never first to the top of the hill, but they always made it. That is NOT something I would try.
Those pretty good size Toyota motorhomes, Dolphin I think some of them were called, I always wondered what kind of chassis Toyota made for them. Some of them predated the T100 even.
We run a Northstar popup slide in camper, in a Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins with the manual trans, with a few trinkets under the hood, she ***** and gets, its pretty much a 100mph truck/camper combo.
My Idea of a vacation-Bandon Ore with a motel room above the cliffs with small kitchen and fireplace. Go to Bandon Fisheries buy some fresh Halibut pickup some french bread and salad have a good dinner by the sea. And sleep in a building that doesn't rock when the wind blows.
I don't quite get how the cylinder failed but it was spectacular. https://forums.anandtech.com/attachments/01-gif.56277/
That site has cookies for lunch.
I have 2 favorite camping spots. Falls Campground- Route 26 Wyoming Queets Campground - Never getting a 5th wheel in there. Matole Beach Campground- Lost Coast California
wow you are out west for a back easter! I had our little 5th wheel into Albee Creek campground on the Mattole road, but left it there to do the lost coast loop.
Add Jekyll Island Georgia, and Denali Alaska and yes we put some miles on, which is why the camper is light, and the horsepower high. Sequoias this year fingers crossed Actually my avatar is my dog sticking his head out the window somewhere near Hope Alaska.
I followed a Uhaul truck for a moment today. What's that racket? I dunno, turn up the radio. Hey it got better!
Thats why they have duals. Spare is already installed.
I knew a guy who did a heavy truck tire repair service. He said super singles made him lots of money because not only was he selling a new tire, but also a new rim when it ground up on the pavement.
Dealt with one of those scenarios this week. Driver crosses a scale in Montana and gets red lighted, didn't bother to check if all were turning on the trailer. Ground off 4, right center left rear. Then came up with the story the system must have froze up just before scale. Super singles, no thanks.
they also beat the living crap out of the pavement, compared to standard duals.
Why is everyone always trying to change things that have worked great for so long?
My trucker friend EK ( RIP) lamented that trend to super singles. He could see how they hammered the road differently. I agree.
No engineer ever got paid, and no vice president ever got promoted, by selling the same old thing.
Actually the were selling the same old thing-[a line of crap].
Come on man, you know the thing!
Not a overload but a runaway. Empty tank car rolled out of Walla Walla on it's own, radared at 50 plus on tracks that have a speed limit of 25mph there so bad.
At least it was an empty and not one filled with the good old chlorine lol
Odd that an empty vessel would still be placarded? OTR would / could be fined for such an infraction, if I remember correctly ?
Around here it could have been anhydrous ammonia
For rail they have to remain placarded for the last load unless cleaned/purged, assuming it needed placards to start same as trailer tanks. It's vans you have to watch your unnecessary placarding.
My grandfather's brother is the star of a story in a history book for riding a flat car loaded with marble, (likely 120000 LBS of stone) It slipped away in Dorset VT & rolled by gravity 14 miles before he jumped & it crashed. Evidently, enough downhill to continue to roll, I doubt it got up great speed. Other side of Mother's family, grandfather & uncle were behind the coal car in a two train head on, 1927. Near the Connecticut River in Rockingham VT. One can still find news reports John & Frank Lent. Death reports say they were scalded by steam. Nearest house was theirs, & the witnesses went to their house to use the phone.
I rode a hand pump cart in the dark around midnight with two others down hill for 9 miles, most was 3.5 %. Crossed a 125' high trestle over I-90. Was eighteen at the time-does that count.
It counts.
My Dad was a engineer his train was hit buy a runaway. They were setting down hill from a elevator and a single grain car rolled off this was back when they had cabooses . It hit the caboose pushed it up inside the next grain car then it opened another car up. Dad said he felt something and sent his i think brakeman back to see for some reason i dont think the caboose had a radio and the brakeman for sure didnt have one. He ran back to tell Dad so he could radio for help. The 2 guys in the caboose were hurt bad but both returned to work when they healed up. I have some picture if i can find them. I worked in a rail car shop its very impressive to see a car run over a tie placed on the tracks and not derail.
I have two stories mixed together or something i need talk to a guy that worked with Dad and find out for sure but i think he was in to different run away wrecks. This one wasnt the one i remembered him coming home and telling us about. The one i remembered and have saw pictures of wasnt as bad. What looks like snow is grain.
I was on the sounder train doing about 70 in the valley south of Auburn, and we met another train just as it hit a tie somebody had dragged onto the track. There was ballast and all sorts of stuff flying up in view and off the side of the train, luckily no broken glass. They stopped and did a walk-around for damage before proceeding. They did that same walkaround after an emergency stop for someone walking on the tracks.
Walkaround is required for ANY E-stop. Had a Clay run to Hannibal today, MO river here in town is Clear no ice, this was 90 miles away. Weighed 68800 getting up to here, then loaded 24T to take back from Bowling Green, loader operator got a bit Carefree with the Rock. Then came upon this rube, Half Ton GM, Rust ball, 12-14' trailer NO WORKING Lamps, 25-30 mph so I got to a lucky spot running downhill and passed FIVE bales on trailer, not a rope or strap ANYWHERE. And I passed him grossing over 72000
That could be any rural area in any state. Only around here there would be a rope-one end tied to the trailer the other end dragging on the road.
does look like he got back on his side of the line
big truck up your arse will do that for you
I’ll throw in one of my own from earlier this year
Found this gem for sale with perfect picture for overload of the day Missing a few straps back there, one good bump and it will be all over the road, plus I don't think that's a legal spot to put a license plate either. https://www.bismanonline.com/bismarck_nd/1967_f600_grain_dump_truck
One aspect to consider spud, as has been stated before grain trucks or Ag beds were never intended to be Dump Trucks. Loose really dry and somewhat light materials are hauled not like rock or excavation materials. Would seriously be looking for a tandem dump truck of some variety to fill with the 977. Cheap is not always better.
I've found my 14' flat bed with racks is OK for gravel, topsoil, boulders, though some care in being on reasonably level when dumping. Then it is very versatile to carry a dozer, lumber, logs. Also makes a nice welding table when tilted. I'll admit a tandem would haul three times as much in one trip.
In Washington he would get a ticket for not having a chain over the barrel.
I would be somewhat concerned over the hitch failing on the truck given the engineering that went into its design
There ought to be something that can no longer be run in California left over in some yard somewhere. I don't know of one any more though. But it only takes one. Maybe something that has some sort of mechanical problem that makes it impractical for daily work any more, but would be OK for homeowner use.
I was kidding about it being a gem, I wouldn't pay $4500 for a truck I can get around $750 ditch it when done or gets destroyed doing the work it needs done then grab another one. I got almost a year worth out this current truck for $850 and I'm not sad to see it go down. "If I let it go down" After this rock is done if I see a need for a decent dump truck or someone can list reasons to need one besides just moving this bit of rock I will invest in one, this is good for now. I look at it as cheaper than rental and cheaper than having rock hauled in by 100 fold per each load it gets.
To be clear, I did not haul this on public roads, this was a short 1 mile move on an army post.
How much did it weigh?
65T
Grossing around 177,000k ish
I wonder what DOT would do if turret started to rotate and the barrel depress?
Exit the line of fire
Washington State DOT has an M60 and Howitzers so they could fight back.
Just not well or for long!!!
They can hit the side of a mountain almost every time.
Snow can't shoot back though.
For the benefit of those wondering about this exchange... Washington state DOT "Has two M60 tanks" See here >>
Name another state that has tanks---here it comes.
I know a few employees in VT, no way in Hell I'd want them with tanks.
Didn’t grab pic of the M60 but here’s a M48 that went for a short ride
2 days ago I was in a traffic snarl on I-5 near Fort Lewis. Along comes an idiot with a 80's-90's era Chevy 1 ton pulling a large goose neck with a 40 foot steel shipping container strapped to it. We were in stop & go traffic so I couldn't tell how it was handling, but I thought, "what a jerk cowboy turd." I noticed him way back because I thought the high beams were on. Turned out to be trailer weight downforce.
I like that....................you made my day!
What do they shoot over the top at times:0
Ummmmmmm.... https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdDNd6ME/
Only about 16K lbs back there, most 5th wheels at that weight are pulled by 3/4 ton (class 2 trucks) with no way to stop but to crash into something. Empty shipping containers are only around 8k lbs and a trailer of that size is about same weight, I own both.
Small world. I saw that guy to and had the same thought. I saw a decal on the door said something about container Sales and delivery.
Thing with sea cans is they look massive and heavy but when empty in reality weight very little, like 8-9k lbs. See it around here all the time, provided truck and trailer are in working order nothing wrong with it. A big skidsteer or mini ex weighs more. Granted they catch way more wind, but still no heavier then many RV's.
Wow, hard to tell what the most interesting part of that is, the load or wishing there was a video of it being loaded. Especially the dozer ON TOP of the roller….
Ouch, that is one heck of a sinkhole. I wonder how long it had been growing?
Maybe the contents in the mud truck will seal it off.
That's a ramp to roof top parking.
Now they got a stairway.
Structural slab that's not made for heavy trucks. Big bill for truck owner.
Greeting people on the way waving out the window, {Hello My Name is Karen}.
Need a bigger heavier power unit, just possibly.
Wouldn't this be an "under load"?
you could say that, yes.
Maybe technically not an overload. https://wgxa.tv/news/local/gsp-driver-dies-after-hitting-bale-of-hay-on-i-75-in-peach-county
The fact this is on top, does it fall in the {CAT-egory} of overload.
I don’t think the box lift has enough power to launch it.
I wish the car wasn't there so we could see how the tires were squatted.
I’m sure it doesn’t but all that’s necessary is to back up against the nearest convenient highwall and drive it off. A D10 in a 789 is a bit better fit..... that 773 is a bit undersized for the job. Last time I saw it done was in Zambia in the mid-90s. I may have some photos somewhere.
If they dropped the ripper tooth over the front lip of the box, would that qualify as a tie-down?
I tried this years ago in my sand box it was very top heavy .
Heck that's not uncommon-the driver that complained his windshield washers didn't work {post # 27 Stupid is as Stupid does} under Shop Talk. Was in Montana 2 months ago Crossed a scale with two tires just like that. Slept in a rest area 30 miles back, brakes froze----never checked. RED LIGHT.
Just mind boggling
Wish I could have gotten a picture tandem axle dump on a 14k gooseneck behind a f250 around Columbia mo sitting on the side of the road with two blown tires and possibly a bad axle on the passenger side was on the side of the road when I went to Kansas City and was still there when I came back through
None of those parts go together. Probably a broke dump truck they wrangled up there to make a poop sandwich.
Very best dragging story was years ago. Motor home towing a small car, he of course couldn't see the car in his mirrors. I can't remember what state, dry summer conditions in mountainous terrain. He's driving down a steep highway. Tractor trailer behind him is frantically trying to get his attention. He has dragged a wheel off the little car, and sparks are flying along the roadside starting multiple fires. I saw an interview with this A hole. The State was suing him trying to recover a portion of the 7 million dollars damage the fires had done. The interviewer asked: "Were you not aware the trucker behind you was trying to get your attention, blowing his air horn & flashing his lights?" He replied: "The first thing you learn when you buy a motor home is ignore traffic behind you."
Tread depth was sufficient measured across 60% of the tire. Easy to check the rims for cracking. But yeah, pull the wheels and chain up the axle.
773 has a capacity of 50 tons. D8k weighs just north of 40. High center of gravity though.
As seen on book face to where I'm band till tomorrow.
Purchases based on trailer length
I paid for the whole trailer, I'm using the whole trailer lol
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
Finally found it. A Celine fits far better into a 789 dump body than an 8K does into a 773. Location Zambia - late 1990s.
Come along little buddy. Timon and Pumbaa
That picture of the cat grader on the gooseneck trailer doesn’t look right. None of the truck or trailer tires are squatted which they should be for that weight. I would think the weight of the trailer and grader combined would be in the range of 25-30k lbs
Trailer looks to be tandem dual tired... rated likely at least 20K or more. Although the truck is a single rear wheel. Luckily the grader is mostly on the trailer.
Just like the USPS parcels slogan - "If it fits, it ships"
That's not a big deal for that kind of trailer. Also hard to say they could be 12k axles. Those trailers are all generally so overbuilt, I know when I considered throwing a 3rd axle under mine I was told they made the 2-10k and 3-10k trailers exactly the same minus the axle. Aside from the tow vehicle, you aren't going to hurt that trailer. Also virtually all the tires i've seen were rated for 3k a piece at least.
Plenty of tires under the trailer. Not very much tongue weight on that trailer, might even be negative. The only problem with that load is speed, perfectly safe if it's not at highway speed, and the trailer brakes hold...
This one should be titled NEVERLOAD of the day, but I don't think we see enough of these to count. I call it the FL3stupid. If you look closely that is a 16K Pintle bolted on, right above a Wait for it 2" receiver :facepalm: The bed is too tall for any stock goosenecks, so it is truly a worthless Egg hauler IMO. It is an auto so you can't even play big rig convoy trucker with the shift lever.
Someone is trying to compensate for a few inches they don't have
Those were the eggs I was talking about.
I had a Cat 112 grader that I hauled on a 20 ton trailer, maybe a little longer than that trailer, but I pulled it with a tandem dump truck, both had air brakes , no problem at all. Probably around 21000 lb grader. I don't know if I like his set up for stopping or pulling, but I suppose okay if you're careful. FWD
I love it. It'd be my dream vehicle.....nearly. I'd want a dump body to haul some stuff occasionally, and I could haul as big a motor RV as Mrs. B chooses. I now have a converted fire truck, it'd need some dressing up to tow the camper. Paint I can handle, but Air conditioning I haven't figured out. Goosenecks aren't essential, there are some big tow behinds. Mine has a 2.5" receiver & a pintle. I currently tow 23000 lbs.
See what I mean? Bed too high? check. wimpy small pintle? check. 2" receiver? checkity check check check. If I had that toter It would have a custom california hauler flatbed with some sides I could fold up and down to actually load some things on it without a forklift or stepladder, Gooseneck hitch, and at least a big receiver plus a 6K pintle on something other than a piece of tin across the back of the frame. that thing could handle a 24K pintle trailer easily.
I agree that truck with the pickup bed is silly. I saw a similar one at my local International dealer and I just shook my head. Would need a step ladder to access the bed. Hitch doesn’t look too bad.. What are you saying, just too light of a setup for that truck?
Yes that pintle hitch is rated for a 16,000 lb trailer. I have a pintle hitch like that on my 1 ton truck and also on a two and a half inch for my dump truck. Above that receiver is a heavy duty one rated for 6,000 lb of tongue weight. He could easily have a much heavier pintle hitch on that class of truck. But the real crime is not having a two and a half inch receiver on the back of a truck that big. Think about it it's the same receiver that you'd see on the back of a Toyota, LOL!
This price is a overload. https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-pa...=pla&msclkid=289445774d40156d8b7f27257e694114
Just saw this in Moab earlier today, I have seen plenty of smallish boats or ATVs and stuff pulled double like that but this guy seems like he might be pushing it to me.
He has the CTL inside the toy hauler!
I don't know which is more of an atrocity, the over loaded double trailer pulling truck or the van in the next lane converted to a RV with oversized AC and genset on rear bumper.
I'm not worried about the tow vehicle even if the trailers weight 20k nothing wrong there, I think the biggest concern there is stretching that travel trailer, I doubt any are made to have that much weight behind them. Also would be illegal here if the rear trailer is heavier then front one which I bet it is.
Same as overloading a dolly on a set of doubles or triples, which is where the name Wiggle Wagons came from. You can feel the whip of the trailers in the seat of your pants without seeing it in your mirrors.------- But look at the money he can save--Leave the mini ex on the trailer dig a hole run the holding tank hose into to it dump the holding tank cover it up--drive off.
This may or may not have been me Older Case CK 580 TLB, should weight about 9k ~ 10k lbs on a 16 (sixteen!) foot trailer with 6 lug 15" wheels (but but but it had 10 ply tires, lol). Tongue weight was almost negative and anything over about 45 mph would start wagging badly. Hoe hung off the back by about 2'
Rock climbing mod on a quarry truck showing off articulation? I put an 8000 LB round boulder in my Top Kick (28000 GVWR) nothing near an overload, but I was terrified should it move. I ended with two chains front to back, two linking the long chains, four binders. & they got checked a few times in the trip. I dumped it on my land which involved a 10% grade uphill. My neighbor's house in the fall line of a giant bowling ball, should it get loose. What's that rock? 12x6x8? 576 cubic feet. I'll subtract 35% it isn't square. 374 cubic feet at 11 cubic feet per ton, that's 34 tons SAE.
It's a lot bigger than that. The truck body is close to 40ft long. I would say it was well over 50 tons.
That truck already has what looks like a three quarter load dirt that the rock is sitting on.
Usual trick. If the shovel op has a big rock he wants to get rid of he first fills the body full of loose dirt to lessen the shock, then tipples the rock on top of the load by sliding it off the side of the bucket. The mistake, if it was one, was that he should've slid the rock right up towards the headboard before letting the truck go.
Do you suppose the operator's seat smells very bad?
Probably...... IIRC the loading tools at that location were P&H 4100's which would swing around 100 tonnes (110 us tons) a bucket. A 50-ton rock would likely not have been able to fit through the bucket door but the shovel wouldn't have broken a sweat to lift it.
Sooooo, how in the he11 does one get the rock out? Ed
I'd be tempted to drill and shoot it right there
The story from the internet that I read some years ago (so it must be true ) was the rock was in the way, the digger operator wanted it gone. Standing site rules were rocks like that were to be blasted into smaller pieces. However the digger operator put it in the truck. The truck driver took off like a bat out of hell and the rock slid to the side. End result I read was there was a government inspection and official report (it is available online), the digger driver lost their job and the truck driver kept theirs. And the truck chassis was twisted.
The photos are from very close to you about 20 years ago. I don't doubt that all sorts of Hell broke out with the safety germs. Reason I got them is that Eltins (the contractor) were one of our dealer customers in Chile and I used to drink beer with a few of their blokes. I came across them this arvo while looking for something else.
This was close to were i live this over pass has a lot of stories to tell. I couldnt remember the how tall it was i didnt think it was this tall but at some time they dug out the road to make it taller.
Box truck flat towing a cab and chassis with part of another chassis and an entire dump truck strapped to it somehow. Slow and tippy...heading to mexico?
I am not getting every thing out of my truck i could be hauling 4 times as much per load.
Followed this for a couple miles yesterday. No lights on trailer, couple chains connected to skidsteer, but not one binder. I could watch the skiddy roll forward and back as he accelerated and braked. Dually 1 ton pulling it, but poor execution on load securement. Just another half assed attempt at looking legal.
Old pic from last year. Passed a crew of these guys rolling from one site to another.
We don't see that sort of thing here anymore. Anybody with a driver's license of any variety has something to lose. A good friend used to haul a 35 ton excavator without chains. He said chains won't stop it if it decides to slide. One very hot summer day under the only traffic light within 10 miles, he had a malfunction of the Talbert trailer, dug 2 trenches 6" deep in the asphalt. As he predicted, the excavator didn't move in relation to the trailer, but life got complicated when AOT was done.
I knew a guy that drove lowboy for a contractor in NE Minnesota. He had to move a D8H just a short haul in the small city they were working in. He didn't tie it down, but all of a sudden DOT lights and he stopped and they were checking it over and DOT said no chains, driver said it not going any where, DOT says "you got that right". After chaining it down and a ticket, then it got go where he wanted it.. FWD
I live in Wisconsin now and a friend asked me the other day if I had heard of the excavator accident and I said no, He had seen the aftermath and heard what happened. A guy was hauling a Bobcat mini excavator, I don;t know the model, but the trailer somehow came unhitched and the trailer went in the ditch and rolled on it's side and did substantial damage to the excavator, but the excavator was tied properly and never came off. They got the trailer and excavator out and rehooked and went on their way, whether DOT was involved, I don't know. Sure wished I'd have seen pics. FWD
I was one of those guilty of not chaining down years ago. Worked for a guy one day and loaded the loader on trailer as always. He asked me if I was going to tie it down. I said I never did. His wife told me that's how her mom got killed, a unchained dozer came off on a corner and landed on her car. I haven't hauled that was since. Probably the best thing that happened to me. Talk about feeling small.
From a for sale ad on facebook Google says the dozer ways 17,500 lbs to 18,700 lbs.
Standard 450 is near 14000. This one A standard 450 with blade weighs about 14000, this one with loader would weigh more.
If it fits on the trailer and the tow vehicle hooks up, they'll move it.
That looks like a bad day
No worries, he's got a duramax. Nothing better than trailer house axles under a homemade trailer either. Trailer house axles were meant for big loads.
Not really related, but: I put a trailer house axle on a trailer one time. It was a 4' x 6' trailer though. I used it to haul a motorcycle and gear. It worked well for a LONG time before I turned it into a sign for a business. It worked best with less than 10 psi in the tires.
That Gradoll is toast. Any idea what happened? Burn marks are on the ground and not on the excavator.
It was Penn dot in action rumor is a phone was involved."steering locked up"
I dont like trailer house axles but we hauled alot of stuff on them. They would handle 12000 pounds if you were careful. They sure seem like crap.
I built a car hauler in 1979, used house trailer suspension & axles. I didn't keep it long, but several years ago the person I sold it to traded it even for a functional Farmall tractor. I think it's still in use 43 years old. Maybe mine were different from those built today. I did put new bearings, seals, & brakes in 43 years ago.
I had built a tandem axle 16’ flat trailer almost 30years ago with old mobile-home axles and I’ve still got it as a spare. I never had any problems but I did upgrade the brake assemblies to the bolt-on backing plates although I’ve had to rebuild the spring hangers a couple of times
I think trailer house axles are rated at 6000 lb. It's the tires that suck. When I worked for my brother right out of school he took a set of the wheels and heated and bent on side down and put 15 inch wheels over them then heated and bent then welded the two together. Actually worked fairly well but all we were hauling was small bobcats.
I would expect house trailer axles to be designed and spec'd to be single trip. Cheap tires, bearings and brakes. That they last years for some folks is sheer luck and light loadings. (Loadings = distance, pounds, and lubrication) For example: Bearings are designed for L 10 revolutions at z loading. Z plus loading equals a shorter life. Z minus loading means a longer life. details: https://insights.globalspec.com/art...g notches for,= radial load; F a = axial load
Years ago I pulled a triple axle homebuilt trailer that had trailer house axles. The axles were too far ahead, so there wasn't enough hitch weight. So it would wag the dog if you let it, or didn't pay attention to how it was loaded. If you loaded it heavy, it liked to roll the tires off. I don't think the axles we're welded in terribly straight either, because it always ate tires. It was the most miserable trailer ever built. I developed my fond love of trailer house axles from it.
I do a fair amount of demolition of houses and trailer houses. When I'm sorting out a trailer house the axles are 10 cents a lb. just like the rest of the scrap iron.
Trailer house axles are like alot of stuff if the trailer is built wright,pulled with some respect and loaded wright they did a good job. The tires they came with them maybe didnt last great but would run along time after the tread started coming off.
He was only running about 30mph, no trailer lights, and looked like two ratchet straps. It must have been about perfectly balanced on the trailer, to maybe being tail heavy. It was sure doing a fierce wobble/ sway going down the road.
From the looks of the trailer it would probably be wobbling like crazy empty.
How I hate mobile home axle trailers. Learned how to pull and more importantly stop, a Bobcat 843 (the one with the Perkins) on a 2 trailer axle "skid steer" trailer behind an '88 F350 with 351 Windsor, talk about a gutless no-stopping wonder. The axles were the traditional house trailer type with the wedges on the hub, not sure the technical term. Tires were always cheap and wore out. Trailer brakes would've been a luxury since the trailer lights didn't even work.. Times were different back then, when I turned 16 dad tossed me the keys to the aforesaid contraption and said "get to work". Baptism by fire is a lost art of learning now a days..
When I worked for my brother right out of school we pulled 722 bobcat and 743 with a ford econline pickup and chevy luv some of the time. We did have hydraulic surge brakes on the homemade trailer. The luv had a small block in it. Those were the days.
When I was young in the late seventys my learned towing was pulling a Clark Melroe 610 skid loader on a home made trailer with questionable surge brakes and lights behind a 1/2 ton chev 235 in line six and three speed on the colum shift. Boy am I glad those days are long gone.
I had a 59 apache panel with that running gear. The only thing I towed with it was pretty epic. We had a little single axle flatbed trailer. About 50% of the guys in my junior class skipped one Monday after one of the guys buried his short bed Ford 4x4 on Manastash ridge right up to the windows in a drift. Guy #2 was on the first rescue mission when the tire chain on the front axle broke, on his Jeep pickup truck, and took off the tie rod and brake line. I dragged the trailer up there and we kicked the wheel as he drove it forward, and got the front end up on the trailer like a tow dolly and got it off the hill. The rest of the class unloaded snow machines and took everybody up there and basically manhandled the first truck out of the drift. That Ford looked comical, it looked like somebody set a canopy and the top of a truck cab on the snow. The hood had drifted over.
Had a part time service garage in town 30 years ago.....stopped in for something. Dan was working on a mobile home axle trailer. We discussed my need/want for a similar trailer. Told me he would beat my ass if one ever showed up in my driveway..... Ed
I need 3 to put on my shed and tow to the new home. They will be used as intended. It is an oversize load and a one way trip. I also need at least a 20' deckover trailer and will use proper axles or just buy one outright.
My Dad had a trailer built in the late 70s it was a 23 foot bumper hitch with 3 trailer house axles. It was very light weight and well built for what it was . The brakes were never hooked up. When i got my license i pulled it alot with my 1969 c10 250 3speed . We never had a set of ramps i used 2 landing strips alot for ramps.
I have a deckover it is a good trailer but from the deck down its all trailer house. I got a set of hubs to make it use 8 hole wheels that will go on it. If it was realy what i needed and If money wasnt a deal i would just buy 2 axles.
I am thinking a couple of 7000 pound axles wheels tires. I will haul all the house lumber on it that can't be delivered. I don't want to mess with fenders in the way so a deckover is the thing. I might make it tilt or have a beavertail so it can haul some little iron.
A deck over will haul alot more than a car trailer. Every trailer has its drawbacks . It would take a very special deck over to haul my skid steer i had trouble loading it on a car trailer with ramps because it sets so low the weights were draging trying to go up the ramps.
That's right... I have had guys get all upset with me when they saw that, like I was burning $100 bills ... Lol
I did 2 mobile homes a bit ago I was tempted to sort out the metal but decided not to, just not worth it. My guess was between the axles and frames it was maybe 5000lbs of steel for both. $200 in disposal fees to get rid of it, but no extra bins, or pay an extra $400 for 2 more bins and anything over $200 would be extra profit.
I usually sort the steel on the trailer houses, its typically about 2,000lb-ish, if steel prices are up, as they have been lately, its good for a couple hundred bucks. The demo site where I send my demo doesn't really like the big steel, they just have to sort it, so it keeps them happy. I really only scrap it because it's easy. It takes me 10 minutes to clean the whole frame with the machine, and another 10 or 15 to chunk it into 12-14' sections with the demo saw, throw it in the dump truck, load the excavator, and go home.
250 for frame axles water heaters and anything I can pull out with the excavator. I figure it's 125 hour to set in my truck and haul it. The owner isn't out the 100 bucks in dumpster weight. I tend to pull anything metal and any copper I can pull out with the thumb and bucket. If it's not much I just haul it home and throw it in the scrap pile for a rainy day. Poor people have poor ways you know!
Fixed it for you...
Found another gem on FB. I sure hope it was done as a joke...
What is the motto for the Post Office flat rate boxes? "If it fits, it ships!"
Doesn't even look like a joke .... Unfortunately
Looks like that trailer now has a few ‘stretch’ marks .
I too thought it a joke... as the trailer was blocked underside... But the tongue is bent, and the tires are squashed to the rim. I wonder if the strap across the blade counts as load securement ? Sheesh !!
I guess it's funny if you're planning on scrapping the trailer after you take the dozer off of it.
That's actually a ad put out by Big Tex.
I don't know about you, everyone is looking at the trailer which is toast of course that blatantly is obvious but, notice the windows on the cab are busted out or missing including the door. Like to know the backstory on how that happened, that took talent I don't even have, must of flipped the dozer at some point.
they had to shed some weight to make sure the trailer could hold it!
Yeah, & grousers are very worn & tracks are TIGHT. There are people able to break cannon balls, I've dealt with dozens of them.
I hate to see anything go to the landfill that dosent have to as far as steel gos. If i had more time i would look into oil filters you could get alot of them for free that are going to the land fill but i think you would need to crush them. I saw a deal about a place that recycled them it was probably a million dollar setup.
what blocking? it is currently hooked to that bucket truck.
The only thing missing is new diesel pickup being loaded with five yards of gravel pulling it to make a complete ad. With the driver eating a bowel of Campbells {Man Handler Soup} on the side.
Is it a D4 size? Is there a D5? 20,000 LB? on a trailer with two 3500 LB axles. 90% of the weight forward of the centerline of the axles. 15000 LB tongue weight? Ain't many trucks built for that.
Looks a bit overloaded to me in my opinion and stuck-like-Chuck. Wife sent me the picture taken at her job.
The quarry is close to the highway into town i see alot of single axles trucks that are loaded full . There is one truck that has a big cab protecter that covers the hole cab it always has a big pile on top of it if i ever meet the driver i am going to ask if he has the passenger side floor full of rock to.
I filled in for a guy at an asphalt plant for a couple of weeks, and got pretty good at loading single axles. I'd load them and the driver would say it would hold more. I'd tell him that's 32K and sure enough, that is what he had. At least back then, I was just as responsible as the driver for overload. That plant had a bunch of single axle small paver business.
Crushed rock facility I go to might be a few hundred pounds over my GVWR, not more. They take safety laws very seriously.
I didn't have a scale on that loader but I checked every load that went out for a while to get a good idea of what was what.
FYI: During my 10 years in the materials business, we always figured crushed limestone weighed 1.35 tons/cy. Concrete sand was calculated at about 1.5 tons/cu. Of course, these wieghts will vary depending on what kind of material you are mining.
I always thought that was a given?
AND a sawzall.... you have an exciting day planned LOL.
Probably not too exciting, it is a ford so there's a pretty good chance it won't make it to the jobsite
Just installing a water line and frost free hydrants. The pea stone is for the water to drain into when the hydrant is turned off. The Hackzall is for cutting the plastic tubing. Almost didn't make it to the job site last week before they graded the road... Some places you wouldn't want to try going more than 3 miles per hour, maybe 4 with 5 tons of sand in the truck.
#1 son seems to follow diesel pickups very closely. Wastes too much time recounting every failure of Ford diesels. He's getting tempted by the latest gas engine Ford offers, but would never own any Ford diesel except the 7.3. I point out the GM diesel I own isn't rusty mostly because it won't run most of the time. It has been dead 6 weeks now, & is at a GM diesel specialist in Cavendish waiting while he deals with a yard FULL of GM diesels with similar problems.
I was hauling old tires off and i had a pickup and trailer loaded but had 1 more car tire i just couldnt find a place for then it hit me i put it in the passenger floor. I like GM stuff but will drive and own what ever. If one was better than the other every one would own it. In my mind ford should have stuck to one diesel till they had it wright . GM has a ok engine but like them all its to electric.
I had no problems with my 6.7 diesel Ford. I ordered another one in Dec. (still waiting). What problems have there been with those? I haven't heard of any and didn't experience any.
Just wait there will be something come up. Time will tell they say they do all kinds of testing with real world simulations but there is no substitute for time.
Place next door has a couple 6.7 in a F550 and an even bigger truck. Nothing but trouble, major $$$$ but they use them commercially with idle time and all that. I suppose they might work OK in pickups most of the time. The Ford dealer always has a line of them waiting for the cab to come off. I guess you just roll the dice.
Today was a day I wished I had a Go Pro mounted on the dash. 3 pm this afternoon on the highway to Oregon state line there are several traffic lights-a 55mph zone. There was a loaded fuel tanker in the left lane next to me, we are coming up on a stale green. I started backing off anticipating it to change the tanker never let off till it was way too late. I was just a car length back from rear of trailer. I would presume he applied over 65 lb's of air closer to 70 lbs. The sun was just right if I had a camera, he smoked the brakes on every axle including the steer in a very short distance, like 150 ft. The surge in the tanks is what really got him. He never got it stopped-laid on the horn and rolled through a red light narrowly missing a eager beaver that was making a left in front of him. Sharp as a marble.
We must be lucky. Currently have 3 6.7's that have been very dependable (knocks on wood). One is a '13 with almost 200K on the clock and only replaced the trans due to heavy towing, another is an '18 with 70K on the clock where the only problem was a split intercooler hose, current truck is new with less than 1K miles on it. Ford's 6.7 has been a great power plant for us, YMMV.
About 3 weeks ago, heading East out of Ellensburg, I came across four tire marks (in the left lane) I was thinking hmmmm, someone had to stab their brakes. Only I followed them for about 2 miles more or less. finally caught up with the set of doubles and the rear trailer had apparently locked up and the driver had slid the tires flat so he could install a rather sizeable air leak in all 4 tires. DOT was sitting there behind him probably entertaining him while waiting for a tire truck. It looked (at 65mph) that he had even rubbed off the sidewalls. Apparently the mirrors and the tire smoke detectors didn't work?
I was that guy once, blowing the horn and regaining control through a light. It was one of those wet days after a long dry spell, I was empty and already slowing down over a rise and heading for a stale light. The brakes, they did nothing. It may as well have been ice.
I remember from my riding days the first rain after a dry spell brought all the oil etc. to the top in a hurry. Ice just like you described.
Whoops can that double post be deleted? Yep it sure can. CM
Yeah, I don't know, they take good care of their stuff also. The owner got so mad he wanted to sell the Fords, but there was nothing to replace them with, so they are still there.
It seems some lights stay on yellow longer than others. Why don't they set them up to flash yellow like three times while the green is on before changing? Same switching from from yellow to red. I can't imagine living in really hilly country and towing heavy.
Here we have lights that are seriously delayed on Yellow and others that once on yellow go almost immediately Red. Are days I am running loads thru a larger town with multiple lights, no need to get antsy as to going thru town as generally get caught at every light. Several are quick where have been under thirty feet from one when swapped yellow and could not stop running forty five mph. Blew thru a red with a cop right beside me did same, no cherries, no stop, never made a motion to indicate would and we moved right along.
As a general rule I think the American road and traffic system is much superior to Canadian or for sure Manitoba. But I ddo really appreciate that at pretty much all major traffic lights in Manitoba there are warning lights a couple hundred yards ahead of the lights that flash if the light will be yellow or red when you get there
Time on yellow is variable. Shorter time on yellow = more revenue for city.
Biggest city I drive loaded in is Columbia Mo. which is small to most people. I never get in a hurry loaded, no use running hard just to have to jam on the brakes. County I live in has no actual stop lights in it just flashing reds at stop signs. I like it that way.
The wouldn't be able to write as many tickets if they did that.
Spokane WA has a nasty green to red on W Sharp and N Division intersection. Just picked up current trailer I have now from there and never been through the city, so in middle of trying to get out of town, avoiding jaywalking pedestrians and not familiar with current set up I blew that light, I seen it coming and not a thing I could do except lay on the horn, had there been a spring chicken there I would of cremated them, instead I got lucky and got a local PD sitting at the intersection watching it all. As expected pulled over and they were dumb founded on what to do since I was on fine line of commercial and private entity, ended up getting DOT and state patrol out there to figure out how to get through the bureaucracy of who's jurisdiction I was in to write the ticket.
My dad brought some bread trucks i towed 3 of the 4 with my 1969 c10 250 4 speed. We towed them with a chain through a pipe . Not far from the place was a big down hill with a light at the bottom i figured out when i started down hill and the light was just turning red dont try to stop but if it was green slow down until it turned red then buy the time i was at the light it would be green.
How about people start driving without their head up their ***.
As soon as I started driving a heavy truck, I realized how crappy the lights were set up. There are parts here in Prescott where you have many many lights in a row on a pretty good downhill stretch, I'll usually back it down because I figure the light will change but everyone behind you hates that, so they pull right in front of you and then the light changes and they jam their brakes because they can stop on a dime in a little car where you'd just roll the yellow etc etc
Was coming through Kent in an empty dump truck in the rain. Saw the light change so was off the throttle and coasting with my foot lightly on the brake. Idiot pulls from the left side of the road, goes through the turn lane into my lane and slams on the brake. I put more foot in the pedal and the truck just slides. Felt like it actually went faster. Anyway it's a sick feeling when the stopped car was a hundred feet away and I knew I need a hundred five feet to get the truck stopped. I sure wished that they had those dash board cameras back then.
Osceola Iowa has several lights it takes a very powerful truck to get through more than one at a time. I was very lucky i didnt get in trouble in Iowa towing stuff back to Missouri. I have a lot better truck now but every one is gone that i towed stuff for .
Your butt accelerometer didn't fail you... Once the tires started to slide, the brakes stopped converting motion into heat. In the days before anti-lock brakes, disk brakes were better because one could modulate them right up to the point of skidding unlike drum brakes that self energized.
I drive defensibly all the time, When I'm behind the wheel of a truck even more so. I don't care if I'm holding up traffic, I can only drive what the traffic situation can or will allow at that moment. You can't allow someone in a car/cars to cause you to hurry. The guy who ran the light above has been living in this town his whole life, like 50 years worth, he drives that stretch 3 times a week or more. Driving? Try crossing a interchange like the L.A. bottleneck from a standing stop on 10 headed north and you have to cross 4 lanes of traffic to make the hammer lane ramp in a 1/4 mile.
Sounds like driving through Seattle, oh good times...
The time the yellow lasts here depends on the speed limit and if it's a truck route. And pretty much any light at or above 50 mph has the warning lights ahead of time, some even at slower speed. Long as i'm on a truck route it's really hard to get caught at a light even loaded. It's the non truck routes with 35 mph limits where it's more of a concern, if i'm hauling my 210 on these most are narrow too and I will never even go the speed limit. The biggest issue is other drivers like getting cut off at a light. I found out last fall my trailer brakes are working perfectly though. Few vehicles up someone braked checked someone else, going downhill at 45 mph came to a complete stop. I never knew my truck could stop that fast, dump truck had load of concrete on, empty trailer saved me. Left 2 perfect skid marks for like 150'. They were dahm lucky a end dump wasn't coming down at the same time, a "new Canadian" company was hauling down there and the guys were flying 50 mph easy and I will bet every penny I have none of the trucks are in ideal working condition, there is not a chance in hell one of them would have stopped.
You really have no idea how brakes and loaded and empty works do you? Your empty trailer that was locked up- contributed absolutely nothing to braking your loaded truck. It was just along for the ride.
Oh I do, and it absolutely did, I would question your knowledge on brakes if you believe it wouldn't. How would the brakes locking up not significantly help stopping distance? The trailer weights nearly 16,000lbs empty and has 12 tires on the ground, it stopped the truck dead.
Wrong video.
Trailer with the brakes locked up, the friction surface is now between the tire and the road instead of the shoe and the drum, but energy is still getting dissipated and plenty of it. But cost per foot braked has increased substantially. Also nothing is telling the trailer that it needs to follow the truck any more, it can feel free to slide left or right since the wheels are no longer rollers, they are now sliders with no particular direction that they want to go.
^^^^Big facts here
Chuck wrote about that.
For sure, lots of great points. Trailer kept perfectly straight. I've driven plenty times loaded without trailer and had to get on brakes decently, and I bet the trailer cut the stopping distance in half, when the car locked up their brakes my first thought was 100% i'm rear ending car in front of me no way am I stopping that fast. I was concerned about a flat spot on tires but no issues, brakes i'm not worried doesn't get used enough to ever wear them out, they only wear like 1/16" a year. The trailer brakes work great, even with the hoe on and being fully loaded they are capable of stopping way faster then i'd ever want, I think my concern would be the hoe moving because of how fast it'll stop.
When I have the 120 on the trailer it is a braking beast. Empty? Just a smoke show. I am the most fond of the jake on that Cat when easyfooting the empty trailer around. I frequently have to get the trailer back to the yard to get it off crowded job sites.
Yellow lights are always a crap shoot, even more so with the intersections set up with smart lights. The smart lights make the intersection totally unpredictable. The companies that install the red light cameras usually require the city to shorten the yellow time to well below the recommended time from AASHTO to increase revenue enough to make the intersection a high paying camera.
All the more reason to not second guess and push the limits. So what it takes extra time, your not explaining yourself to a lawyer.
When it comes to lights I go by yellow-yellow yellow-red and red-red if the front of the vehicle is tough at yellow red I'm good red red not so much. Yeah I know young and dumb and in a hurry
Planning ahead is essential, but I do maintain traffic lights are timed for passenger cars. A loaded truck can't stop from highway speed if the driver waits for a yellow light to begin his stop. Gotta pay attention to how long the light has been green. Even my 8600 LB van will slide its contents all over the place if I wait for a yellow when I'm almost to the intersection.
I think that's what I posted above-{Stale Light}.
I appreciate the lights that have a counter that comes on for the pedestrian walk. It lets you know how long until yellow.
Followed this little guy today. Did not need worry of rear springs as was on the Stops, front shocks ARE bad as was continually bouncing like a ball!! The rope ONLY held the spare in place, almost no tension on it.. Mid 90s C1500 long bed 2wd Chevy, cedar logs.
I begged off for a few days on posting this, Tuesday is shop laundry day-ours didn't show up. Happened in College Place another town on the edge of Walla Walla. 28 year old stole the laundry truck then driving south in the north bound lanes collided head on with a Dodge pickup. Killing the driver of the pickup plus the ******* who stole the laundry truck. ON highway 125.
Not something I wanted to see but think it's a good reminder of the trash we have in society today.
A few?
My overloaded contribution for the week. Hopes, dreams and aspirations of hauling another load of rock, end at where the crack begins. RIP, She was a helluva rig.
Sad day
Interesting way for that frame rail to crack. Are those welds on the top of the rail?
Horizontal cracks are pretty common with walking beam.
No welds. The other side is cracked, as well. Severe rust jacking between the liner and frame. The lower frame flange is delaminating from corrosion. This is interesting. A local shop installed a new muffler and pipe. The muffler is attached to the frame on this old Ford. Not far from the carnage. I would thought, someone would have noticed. Lol.
That's sad to see... A good vehicle done in... Had a minivan I drove until a brake seized up, electronic dash died, and the left rear panel bashed in. Hated to let it go ... engine was great, used no oil between changes, transmission rebuilt, air conditioner was cold... But on balance it was scrap. and left as such.
I've got a 2010 Fusion going that way too, which is a shame. At 262,000 miles, the engine purrs, trans shifts tight, brakes have always been excellent, and still gets the 26mpg it's always gotten (AWD model). Unfortunately, the uni-body has severe rust in the rear that went unnoticed until a service check where the hoist lift pad went up through the lift point. Paint looked great, but no metal underneath it anymore. I've been tempted to buy a clean body from down south somewhere, but then I'm still left with a high mileage engine, trans, drivetrain, etc. I'm not sure if I'll piece it out or scrap it at this point. The engine, and AWD trans are worth more than scrap, but they're still high mileage units and not as desirable.
Possibly more desirable to someone who needs a core to use for a rebuild rather than as a drop-in.?
Even if a frame isn't doubled, the lower crossmember gussets used with Hendrickson walking beam are long. The stress in that area combined with corrosion will cause horizontal cracks. A friend just knocked his 1990 IH in the head because of the same issues.
Hardly anyone rebuilds anymore, they go to a online CoPart auction and pick one up with low miles that's crashed.
It makes a guy want to flip it over on its side, sand it up a little bit and then shoot it with a chop mat gun like you're building a boat in a mold. If that only worked!
Possibly the trans, but not the engine. Too many of these 3.0 V6's in wrecking yards across the country at this point. The AWD trans is probably well worth rebuild. I'll have to ask my wife's uncle, he runs a transmission shop.
Brother sent me this one today. Still not the brand new Linkbelt x145 I saw on a gooseneck pulled by a 3/4 ton SRW the other day, wish I had turned around for a pic.
This sheet is getting to be non-sense.
just keep on de-truckin!
The nonsense---started in 1945 to 1964 and has quadrupled.
I was under the impression between the axles was ok as the suspension brackets spanned past there and had multiple shops say they wouldn't be concerned at all with it? The first pictures look to be in front of the front drive which would be totally different obviously.
Surely that can't be real????? Well obviously it really happened, but it's got to be a set up.
Oh its real. You wouldn't believe the skill level of some of the drivers here. I don't know how many trucks I've backed in by standing by the front drivers wheel and "you just turn the wheel which direction I'm pointing". I feel fortunate if they know enough english to understand the directions.
Bloody hell, I spent 12 mths working in the USA back in 92, if you have those sort of clowns on the roads now, I won't be coming back.
No pics, but saw this on the highway last night: Nissan Titan with aftermarket oversized wheels, tires, and wheel spacers with a gooseneck dual tandem trailer that had a Tak TL12 and what looked to be about 2 pallets of concrete pavers. He had DOT #'s in mailbox stickers on the side windows though.
There easy to spot.
A Swift driver?
Over worked under paid stressed out driver hit his breaking point is what I see. Only if you were on drugs or alcohol would you continue that carnage and keep driving.
The part that pisses me off most about that is chances are he will have a new job the next day with the driver shortage, and he won't have to pay a penny for the damage he caused. In cases like that especially with video evidence, he should be on the hook for 100% of the damage when it's caused on purpose in such a stupid way. Should also lose his commercial license for a few years for it.
I love bonehead truckers. Another reason I prefer driving 1 ton rigs so I don't have to go to truck stops and be near the Swifts.
We had a driver that had a melt down at a freezer terminal. Drove into ecology blocks, tore the right side of a two year old T800 all to hell. That was in 2008. As Spud said some of these companies just flat run the crap out of these drivers, get the 36 off to clear the log and right back at it day after day. All work and no play can make the sanest person do some crazy things. It's why in many cases drivers walk and leave the truck where ever it's at. Walk off's are real common.
I don't know how the long haul guys do it. We've been busy and I've been working most weekends. But I get to sleep in my own bed at night and if the weather goes to pieces- we just stay home. A factory where we do some work- they've got a 8 month back log and those guys are working 6 days a week "for the foreseeable future". Morale doesn't hold up well under that. Everyone gets sick of it after a while and then nothing really matters. And they are hurting for help, or I think they would be wanting them to work 7/10s. I know I like to make fun of some of the guys doing the trucking, but there are good guys and good companies out there doing it, and thank goodness there are- because the freight has to move. But getting home at noon on saturday and leaving again sunday night week after week would wear me out.
It's not just the hours C.O. and I know you know this. People generally like the comfort of using their own toilet. Day after day of filthy restrooms. The idea of walking into the kitchen to make yourself something to eat or get a fresh cup of coffee. Truck stop showers. Sleeping in a bed with vents open and a cattle truck slides in beside. Day after day of crummy food, bad nutrition can lead to several problems including mental. Then dealing with the public. The highways are over crowded, cars hate trucks and in some cases justified. Day after day of traffic. Only to crawl into a 7' x 4' hole to sleep it off. Dispatchers, shippers, receivers and dock workers that could in many cases give a damn about your Just in Time load-Just get it there no matter what. You get sick your on your own, except for a emergency 911. And that's if you are able to call. If you have a family-well forget about T-ball, little league games and such with the kids. Holiday time-in many cases your dinner will be a Micky D, and that uncle or ante you haven't seen well they are just going to be a lot older the next time you see them. I cuss drivers yes, I was one years ago. I know the routine all too well. It's not a hero job never was and never will be. It's just a job and many really are not cut out for it. It's why there is such a high turn over once they get a taste of reality. It's not all bad but there is a lot of bad that goes with it.
I only did the one long haul trip and that was enough, due to many things mentioned above. It takes a certain type to be successful at it for sure. I think it would wear anybody down. I wrote a story about my friend Slim, and how that event got him to take a hosteler's job in the yard. That move about wiped him out in the change of pace and constant up down hook up move move. He got to the night dispatcher's desk, and lasted a couple of years till he died too young at 55. I think the business had something to do with it.
People can bitch about a drug free work place, and in the trucking end of things the hated E-Log. Up till the time of the UA test then E-Log the Over the Road trucking business was the most unlawful industry there was. Hauling produce was by far the worst. In most cases the lowest pay and the most unreasonable hours to reach/make pickups and deliveries. If a truck was in California that truck could end up with a mixer load of up to 12 pickups. And depending on distance between pickups not much sleep time. Depending on the brokerage {and quite a few did-something kept quiet/not talked about} would ask there main drivers if they needed any pills. {FACT} kept in the dispatchers desk at the ready. There were more drivers on the road pilled out at anyone time than one could imagine. The business was dirty as all hell, many old drivers would balk at that because they would never admit to it themselves. Truthfully the OTR industry years back was guilty of promoting drug abuse as any other industry ever. Many old drivers will say they never used, because that goes against everything a driver stood for years back. But they more than likely wouldn't have done it except for the dirty people above them pushing them. The Truth. The best thing that happened was drug testing and E-Logs.
It's one thing to walk off and leave a truck, or even have a lapse of judgment and hit something. But to back up and keep doing it like 4-5 times? That's beyond what is ok. If he hit it once and left the truck or even dropped the trailer, but what he did, he should be paying for all the damage and lose his commercial license, there is no excuse for it.
It didn't happen on a public road therefor DOT would not be involved.
A certain well thought of company around here runs Swing shift for all production employees.
I’m currently running otr but have a load planner that gives a **** otherwise I wouldn’t still be here I’m usually home Friday afternoon and don’t leave out till Monday morning. I cook in the truck and try to avoid eating out as much as possible
the bad old days I had supervisors in the earthmoving business who drank all day long. I have not complained about not having to worry so much about that, about some operator with my life in his hands up in the crane seat, etc. I hope the DOT and OSHA keep it that way. We have enough problems as it is.
Are you guys trying to tell me the good old days where well not so good.
Wouldn't be the first time seeing them try to enforce laws on private roads. And for something that dumb, they should make an exception, who knows maybe he did make it back on the road like that.
The part I don't get is how they drove for so long in the older trucks, especially without things like cruise control or A/C. If I spend a few hours in a day in my old truck i'm done.
Don't forget twin sticks, no power steering, little engine power, bias ply tires, and spring or rubber pad walking beam suspension. And those trucks were a big step forward from what came before them. Everybody was tougher back then.
Well, there were a lot of places to stop along the roads 50 years ago so the driver could stretch,eat, etc. Now, some of the main highways have very few rest areas that are only pullover areas with no services. The highways by-passed all the small towns with the diners and gas stations and allowed traffic to go faster and longer. Just part of the price of the world we live in
And, things moved slower. The pace of life in general was more civilized.
You said a mouth full. Air wipers, poor lighting, ridged seats and no insulation. On some of the old Cab overs there was a trap door on the dog house, set your can of beans on top of the engine while you drove to warm them up.
I've done that with Marooka track trucks. The engine is right there, pop the top on the ravioli and wait for it to bubble. The one I ran was bigger, and the side of the hood was open to the engine on my right.
That reminded me of the guy who ran the drill rig at the quarry up in Watertown NY. I was there to check out a "vibration" in the engine, 8V71, turned out that was a broken crankshaft! While beginning to pull engine he made a point to tell me to be carful with that strange bent up piece of 1/4 inch round stock hanging on the right side exhaust manifold. I was not sure what it was so I asked him. Turns out it was just the right size to hold a can of beef stew. He said hang the can on at 9AM break time and when it was time for lunch it was just ready to eat. Vibrations of the engine slowly rotated the can so it was heated nice and even!
that's high tech. I had to rotate the ravioli by gloved hand. At least it was in reach
I always kept the can sealed. It never burned as long as it was sealed. I had a can of chili stretch once but was fine and unburnt after it cooled enough to dare to open. I did have the top blow off of a pop top can of beans that was heating on a Cat engine exhaust manifold in a 9310 American. The house roof and walls were splattered with stuck beans and sauce. The operator and oiler was moving to the piling yard on a job and running the engine at governed speed for a few hundred yards. That gorilla of a oiler whom kept that machine looking better than new would have killed me if he could have run faster. I kept my distance for about a week before he could laugh about me going hungry.
I was never adventuresome enough to use an exhaust manifold. Always thought it would burn or something. Used a top radiator tank and always had lukewarm beans because of it. My dad is an inventor. 2 of his cars he had what he called the water cooker which was a coil of 5/8 copper fed from the heater, in the bottom of a custom fit galvanized steel tank in a handy location on the car somewhere. Fill the tank with clean water and submerge cans of beans or whatever and when you get where you were going, hot food. Used it when vacationing in campgrounds and such. No waiting for the camp stove, just open and eat.
Wouldn’t work nowadays, you can’t see the engine or get to it
Not an engine heater, but: Seth was a baby, we seemed to travel often. He was one of those kids would wake up from a nap screaming! That kid had/has lung power! A cold bottle was NOT acceptable! We bought a bottle warmer plugs into a lighter, but you had to plan way ahead to get it warm. I took a tin can just the right size, soldered a 14" long handle on it. Id put three ounces of water in, pop in the bottle & blast it with a propane torch. A couple minutes, the bottle was perfect & silence was restored.
When I was young, about 10 years of age, our family was friends, and for a while farming partners, with our local veterinary surgeon and his family. Fred, the vet, was a wonderful man, memorable for the way he could fool us kids and make us laugh at the same time, as well as being a great vet. Constantly travelling from farm to farm, mostly on gravel roads or worse, as ours was a dairying community, Fred wore out cars pretty quickly. Fred's brother had previously moved to farm near Esperence, West Australia, about 3700 km from where we lived in South East Queensland, and, not withstanding 3 kids and a lot more gravel, off they all set to travel across Australia, virtually East Coast to West, on a family reunion holiday. The chariot was the work car, a newish 1965 Austin Freeway Station Wagon, but this one had a clever modification devised by Fred. Inside the engine bay was a plate of just the right size and location, which was supposed to use the heat of the engine to cook a steak while travelling. Fred proudly opened the bonnet to show it to us before they left. On returning from their travels some four weeks later, there were more eye-rolls and sighs than enthusiasm from Lorna, his wife, and the kids, about the engine frypan. The things a bloke tries to do for the family!
Re-do.
Douglas Macarthurs jeep had a holder bolted to the head to hold 2 cans.
Almost forgot Paul was in my area Friday, like two blocks from my shop. He was on the frontage rd headed to DOT for gas. I think he saw it about the same time I did. A 450 with slip tank towing a 30' with a 610 on top. 6 year old trailer. The ticket. #1 Just got there cdl the week before but not carrying a paper copy. #2 Over weight by 4,400lbs. #3 No signage or DOT number or tonnage or fire x sign. #4 no fire extinguisher no triangles. #5 No conspicuity tape on truck or trailer. #6 insecure load, improper chain rating. #7 Tire tread depth out of compliance. #8 insecure load loose dirt/mud/rocks on deck. #9 Defective lighting. #10 two brakes not working on trailer. #11 Cracks in welds on goose neck. He stopped by afterward. Just out doing his job and as he says {I don't have to look very hard}.
Hello Old Doug, just my imagination joining the dots here, but I do find that piece of trivia fascinating. MacArthur's headquarters after escaping with his family and staff from the Philippines was in Brisbane, where he was Supreme Commander of the Southwest Pacific. During WW2, our previously mentioned family friend Fred the Vet worked in "Intelligence" for the Australian Army, also in Brisbane.
Saw this tonight on way home. Over capacity of rear seat with golden retrievers??? This couple live around down. He restored this convertible Chevy Impala himself. These guys, the car, and the dogs have been a staple of a sight to be seen (literally) for years. One of the dogs died a few years ago and he was replaced the following year with a new puppy. My family and I always take a pic and send it to other family members when we see them on the road. Its always great seeing the 3 dogs, fur blowing in the breeze, sitting high and proud in the back of the car........like a beauty queen in a parade!!LOL Just figured I'd share...........thought you guys might like it.
I don't know if it was an overload but it surely was a bad day for a side dump operator. He departed the highway at a good clip and a bad angle, and found the only soft bit of ground for many miles along the highway. He was loaded and no tarp. He was also sporting a big tractor with a yuuge sleeper. It was not the typical day cab side dump setup. When I wheeled by he had collected the first WSP officer and when I came by again in 20, he had a 2nd one but no tow trucks.
I saw this not far from my workshop a few days ago. All 8 tyres on the rearmost axle burnt off - and the inner hub dragged on the road, until it was worn down nearly a foot. Talk about "steering wheel attendant" asleep in the cab!
Wow! And that ain't some cheap old flatbed or dry van, either!
The plume of smoke, I'd expect the fire department to call him to tell him about it. Wouldn't there be considerable sign of it in the mirror?
Maybe it's just the angle of the picture but that flat spot on the right rear rim looks very rusty. Could it be that the guy who towed it to that place got a deal on it and was just trying to get it home to actually fix it when he was stopped. I recall many years back getting sent out to rescue one of the company's low-boys that had a wheel problem on the New York State Thruway, lucky it was not loaded! As it was there was no way to fix it there so we removed the tires off that wheel and just used chains and binders to hold it off the road and drive took it to the quarry he was headed for and they fixed it there.
it would be interesting to see how that trailer widens at the neck. And just so I can add a picture- this guy maybe isn't overloaded, but I bet he wished he had a box truck. Those cardboard boxes had to be a nightmare to keep tied on.
kshansen is correct-look at the ramp cylinder. I don't think that old buzzard has been used in a while. Not to mention that trailer is a morphydite.
"it would be interesting to see how that trailer widens at the neck." Might it NOT widen at the neck, only wishbone, sort of hinge at the neck?
It's only the axles that move in and out. Best I can see.
It's a bit hard to see with the limited photos I put up, but the trailer hinges where the frames meet at the front, and the frames hinge where they meet the deck. I'll try and get some more photos tomorrow, if it's still there. The main deck frames move in and out in parallel with hydraulic activation, there's often a small hydraulic power pack in the trailer, but this one appears to be powered with hydraulics from the prime mover (tractor). The suspension on these trailers is fully hydraulic, they can alter the deck height by a sizeable amount, and hold axles up off the road, if required. The trailer has been brought in the city from possibly somewhere way out East or North, maybe the W.A. Goldfields. I'm at a loss to understand how this fire could get so intense to burn off all the tyres across the back. These rigs usually only move at night when they're empty, and nearly all the time they're loaded, they're seriously overwidth, and are therefore limited to "daylight travel only". If the driver had a tyre fire start at night, and he was empty, you'd have to opine he'd soon see the flames in the mirrors. If it started during the day when he was travelling loaded, and couldn't see a lot behind him, any escort vehicle in front would normally advise him he had a tyre fire. If he was overwidth, but under the width requiring an escort (3.5M - 11.5'), he just might have trouble seeing smoke and flames at the very rear, if he was hauling a large load - but passing motorists or other truckies on the airwaves would soon alert him. If he had a tyre catch fire and he stopped within a reasonable time, it's possible the fire spread to the other tyres. But dragging the hub on the road until nearly a foot of metal is ground off it, is inexcusable to me.
I dont know how many loads i have hauled on a open trailer that i wished i had something enclosed . It was either bulkey and or some thing that couldnt be strapped down tight . Having a enclosed trailer would be on my list if i was rich. By the looks of his tires it could also be heavy.
Thanks for the for the extra photos, I can see where it slides.
Looks like it was a slick trailer in it's day, needs a lot of work though. The odd part is the ramps though, a 24 wheel trailer is made to haul some serious iron, has to be for around 40-50 tons, especially with that long neck made for a tri-drive or jeep, but those ramps are not exactly ideal for loading that kind of stuff. Unless it was geared towards heavy wheeled stuff? Still seems odd.
Everyone has a different idea on what constitutes a good trailer design. There's some real dogs of trailers running around. This make (above) is not overly popular here, the big name brand in widening trailers is Drake Trailers, from Queensland. They build superb trailers, and they've been building them for a long time. Drakes "Swing-wing" trailer is a favourite amongst the heavy haulers. https://thedrakegroup.com.au/drake-trailers/
This feller was in a hurry this late afternoon here in town, going through a round about. Most drive them around here like it's a SLALOM course. I've called in several dump trucks just hauling *** around them. Funny part is IT'S LOADED. My friend at Walkers Towing can make some dollars with his 50 ton today. Nothing like a load of concrete on it's side.
I was quite impressed by the lifting ability of my little Cat 930 back in the mid '70's. The back wheels were off the ground getting it up there, but then they settled back down. And that rocky material wasn't light.
Looks like a lift that could have gone wrong! Vermont Marble Quarry is three miles away. Once upon a time everything was shipped by rail to Proctor 30 miles away to cut. These days most blocks get cut into smaller pieces inside the mountain. A few get shipped by rail up to 60 ton blocks. They transport by huge loader outfitted with forks onto flatbed truck. Loader is rated 50 ton, & it isn't big enough. Security on the mountain is tight, they don't want another citation from MSHAW. I see them down the valley loading onto train. They get a sub contractor involved with their 50 ton machine. He is a master at getting more from the machine than he should. Rear wheels in the air more than not.
Not exactly an overload, these guys are legal, and parked up for a spell, in a truck parking bay off the main highway - but they sure are hauling some weight. I see loads like this nearly every day on the main inland highway to the North of Western Australia, the big iron ore mines in the North of W.A. utilise huge numbers of earthmoving machines. Judging by the tyres on the dump trucks, they're on their way to be sold off, after probably having done about 50-60,000 hrs. They will likely be scrapped after the major components are torn out for reconditioned spares.
I hope the brakes were better than the rest of it looked.
I have to wonder how much horse power was going out the stack instead of to power the wheels?
Wonder if they did the tires like that for loading and unloading, just have the truck between two dykes and raise up the trailer to load.
Cfherrman - This is global mining companies we're dealing with, here. No such "dodgy" loading practices as you might suggest. They'd have hired in a couple of 200 tonne truck cranes, lifted the dump truck, placed it on engineered and certified wheel stands - then backed the trailer underneath the dump truck - lifted the dump truck with the cranes again, then lowered the truck down onto the trailer deck. Job done in the most safety-conscious manner - to h*ll with the cost!
Hell I didn't think it would have been dodgey, I would have thought it clever!
Yep, that's exactly the way you and I would do it, for minimal cost and prompt loading. But when you're a fully qualified mining engineer with major tertiary qualifications, that gives you the ability to turn your nose up at crude plant operators methods, and go spend $100K to load the trucks, in the way you were taught at university ....
Everyone knows, that university knows better.
Probably near the bottom of torque range.
Not sure with air intakes like that, probably only makes power when it's under 5' of water
Even the well planned hot shot big boys have a fack up.
Candidate for a scratch and dent sale?
And then I get a kick out of all the people walking around close to the tank later on while it's moving. I know they need spotters, but seems like some are not in the best positions if the tank was to fall again!
Walmart has their new trailers out- 60' long- get ready truck shop! https://www.walmartcanada.ca/newsro...iggest-multi-temperature-refrigerated-trailer
Not worried or care-each state has it's extended length and bridge laws. That set up has no real purpose in most states because axle wise it can still only gross 88,000.
Might be handy for hauling popcorn or potato chips
In Texas, I pulled a 57’ van trailer with a tandem, non sleeper Pete. That 57’ was a real pain to drive in town or on tight and crowded roads. I would not want to pull this long thing anywhere except on some interstates, and I said “some”.
Walmart parking lot, news said it took 3 hours to put it out.
To go with C.O.'s photo above--1989 hay truck caught fire on I-90 MP 101.5, owned by Van Derveen Hay Co. Road was shut down till fire crews thought it was under control so DOT opened the west bound lanes. In the mix of backed up traffic was a truck with a load of cross ties owned by V. Van Dyke. Truck with cross ties drives by and a spark got in the load of ties, it catches fire about three miles up the road. Both trucks and loads a total loss, we had the fun of cleaning up and towing away. The next day the owners showed up--That's where my {ever seen copper wire being made comes from}. {Two Dutchman fighting over a penny}.
that sounds like a mess.
To go with Crane op's pic... A story told to me. 35 years ago... Newly built Company facility donated two rolls of polystyrene foam to the Georgia fire school in Marietta GA. (close to Atlanta, GA) Co wanted the fire department to understand the unique fire properties of the stuff. Fire school was to be relocated so the staff decides to burn the foam in situ instead of transporting to new location. The rolls were anywhere from 1000 to 2000 pounds. Depending on product. Big rolls about 6 foot tall 5 feet wide. It's an intermediate step for the production of foam tableware. (McDonald containers and such) Guess the staff thought ... We're the fire department, we have a pumper truck and charged lines... Let's burn both at the same time...What could go wrong? So, they light the rolls. Easy to get started. Just a match will do. Okay... let it get fully involved. Uhh Ohh the smoke is getting dense, black, choking, sooty, and voluminous. Turn on the hose... Ahhh... the fire is out. But NO !!! Like a trick birthday candle, as soon as the hose is turned off, the rolls start to burn again. The plastic foam burns so hot, the plastic melts and flows down. What happens when cold water hits melting plastic ? The plastic immediately hardens. Forming an armored shield against any further water. Meanwhile, the built-up heat is held by the insulating value of the foam. The smoke was so thick, nearby Dobbins Air Force base runway was closed for 20 minutes. With planes diverted or circling I can vouch for the fire & mechanical properties of the stuff from personal career experience.
They aren't the first fire department to do something like that. About a year ago, there was a news story about a fire department back east burning down their fire station in a similar operation.
Time the fire department arrives out here you best to just make a firebreak so the flames don't spread to other properties. Look on the bright side, you can now do that remodel job you always wanted to do starting from scratch now
Our local fire department’s motto is-‘never lost a basement yet’
I've been meaning to ask this question: With the coming of driverless trucks, do you think the loads will get smaller ? Trailers have gotten bigger & bigger over the years to maximize the driver. Many loads are not single destination, but multiple. With the driver cost (and sleep requirements) out of the picture, will more trucks be single destination, and therefore going with smaller trailers ?
I would guess we will get both. There will be larger trucks to go to distribution centers, then there will be smaller vehicles to do more efficient deliveries to end users.
Most of the time that is the best thing to happen.
That's not bad! In fairness, since TGI floor joists came out, once a house catches fire and does much of anything, it's a complete teardown anyway and not safe to go in. I tore one down last week that was still old 2x10 joists, all of them were still intact but it doesn't take much for it still not to be worth trying to fix, it was a remove everything but foundation and rebuild.
Weight restrictions will still command the business. Those Walmart trucks are dry freight lower weight but high cube. Produce will be the area that will still demand drivers. Frozen is heavy won't see any changes there one pickup and drop most all goes to terminals.
I'm still trying to figure out what they are going to tax next when everything goes electric and there is no income from road use tax on fuel... Guess registrations will all go up to cover it?
I am sure it would be quite simple for a Tesla car to report exactly where it has been and bills can be sent out accordingly.
Saskatchewan did that with vehicle registrations. I imagine other places will follow soon.
Pretty sure its going to be a per mile tax. Your rate will most likely be based on the weight on the vehicle.
In Mo i have to pay a clean burn tax on my propane burning truck. You have to pay a tax on Lp,natural gas and electric.
Thought this was clickbait at first when youtube suggested it...
Well, if you have to fight a road like that, you might as well try to make it in one round. No tires blown or frame broke, I guess it works then. Obviously not in North America otherwise there would be a medic unit trying to resuscitate a DOT person writing the ticket of a lifetime. And, having a heart attack at the same time.
I don't reckon they could've squeezed much more on that trailer.
Bale fires are near impossible to put out. We usually let them burn, and tell the farmer he needs to watch it. When we deem it necessary to put out a bale fire, the best method is a tractor and loader and simply unroll the bale. Its easy to extinguish when the hay is only 6" thick. You have to push the bale the correct direction to unroll it. If the ground is flat, two guys with pike poles can usually unroll a new bale. Old bales sag and are tougher to unroll. When we need to put out a bale fire we will push the foam to 2-3% rather than the usual 1/2%. The drought around here has pushed hay prices to about twice normal and its difficult to find any hay to buy. A lot of old cows are going to the hamburger plant as there is little to feed them.
Being rear ended might be a b
this is my truck and my log.
Nice 4 x 4 between the frame and the leaf springs to prevent it from sagging. Bet they were doing wheelies on take off. Damn thing doesn't even have a hood!. Hope that kid wasn't riding in that truck, especially with that fuel tank between cab and the load as such.
Looking at the blue tape holding the back window in (it appears) seems to indicate the reason log trucks have cab guards. I can hear the CB conversation between the driver and the shovel runner: "Push 'er ahead a few, I need another 300 pounds on the front. Oops,too much, pull 'er back about 8". Got some blue tape to fix my truck?"
The steer axle on the black PU ought to grip in the curves just right.
My 56 Power Wagon has a winch behind the cab, so a 9' bed factory stock is less able to handle long logs. I once transported a 28' log 36" diameter. It did feel like power steering!
Well that's a redneck world champion finalist right there!
I like the (I’m going to assume full just because) fuel tank between the cab and the log, probably to stop it from marring up the paint.
Nice bumper sticker!
How are those front tires even on the ground. Maybe there is a counterweight on the front bumper?
We might have overloaded this trailer just a little last year.
Only other picture is a action shot. Its for sale as a parts truck- imagine that.... https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...5638807578747076608","ftmd_400706":"111112l"}
That was the little stump, here is the big one. Glad the weight man was not around
Apparently this happened today about 25 minutes from my house The article said it was a press base moving from Flint to Battle Creek for repairs. The jeep collapsed during the turn, blocking most of M66. 331,000 pound load.
A little heating and a little bending and that will all be good as new.
Seeing the levels of Rust corruption up close in that load pic I am amazed any of that trailer is functional. Probably sat in a yard for a decade or two before decided could be utilized One More Time.
a couple cases of beer and we can have that fixed in a weekend
It felt a little overloaded going down the road.
That's what FHWA inspections are for.
If somebody pencil-whipped an inspection to make that move, they are so much in trouble. My guess is that is not current at all.
There is also the issue it may have grounded out.
yes it does not take much of a touch to destroy anything with that kind of weight. One of my jobs on the derrick was to be certain it would not bottom out with the tide. Any fraction of 2,100,000 pounds was too much.
Biggest tell tale sign on lowboy use is how worn the bottom of trailer is. Have seen them where flange is gone and wearing into the web of the beam which is laziness on most trailers today. They are too easy to flip on pto and raise trailer a few inches before dragging
Moving parts like that, most insurance companies want to inspect all equipment associated with the move. At least they do with electrical equipment moves. I'm wondering if they even got insurance for the move.
Trailer for sale!
Just came across this random pic and thought I would share:
Dang it! I hope they hurry up and get here so I have time to install it in my snowblower before the first snow here in NY! I don't want to have to shovel the drive by hand again!
View attachment 267849 View attachment 267849 Pssssssssss.....
There was a big engine move in town of the railroad headed north, wasn't as big as that one but the turbo was probably bigger than a pickup, and it had at least 2
Application on that thing ^^^^^^^ Big ship maybe?
Or a compressor station.
What a complete jerk.
As long as they can get away with it they will continue to do it. People are not going to police themselves unless forced. Anglers and gamblers.
Something surprised me today. I weighed out (leaving empty) at the local dump at 13,860. 2022 F350 crew cab, long bed, diesel with a 7x16 dump trailer. I figured 10-11 range.
Must have lost the bid on the skid-steer or else that would be riding sidesaddle on the tongue!
Early day overload. Just enough axles, I can't say on bridge.
I'll have to dig some pics up of my old work truck, f350 srw 12k with tools and diesel. Those poor trucks
That truck pulling those dozers probably only went 30 mph lol
Those dozers are not chained down- maybe they were just seeing if they both would fit……..
I believe it is one of three MAN engines installed at the Owen Springs power station at Alice Springs in the NT, Australia. The engines and generators were shipped from France to Darwin then trucked 1500 km to the Alice. http://www.ship.gr/news6/man20.htm
I’m late to this one….judging by the position of the front wing dolly and the position of the rear dollies I’d say they got things in a bind and the weak link was that jeep. There isn’t any auto steer on a 19 axle and you can sure get them wadded up overloading certain points.
I haven't heard any follow up on what happened or how they got the load moved. The load became stuck on 9/6 around 430pm, and DOT reported road clear at 220am on 9/8. Here are some more pictures EDIT: I just spoke with a friend that lives over that way. He sent me a link to a guy he knows that went and watched the show. Doesn't answer how the original truck failed, but shows their recovery plan. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...vNhCTcDxaaPrCniwl&id=100022840182806&sfnsn=mo
Happened across this, the beam weighs about 2800 pounds. I think this is proof of the old adage "God looks our for fools and drunks." I was fascinated with the structural capacity of sheetrock screws building the frame. You can skip much of it and still get the gist. You do need to watch the last couple of minutes when he discusses his "Safety/DOT" measures. I wonder if his DOT could issues a citation based on his admissions in the video.....
I have the same skid loader (going to sell it, having bought larger one)
AW, No Fair, supposed to use a Farm Tractor with Leak Down Hydraulics and a Make Shift Pipe boom to do that!!!
IIRC that was a 1953 H-3 that I bought (for that job, and then sold it quickly)
He would not have been too far out of line and could have hauled both beams if he would have built a little better framework and made it tall enough to set the end of beams up on the neck of the trailer
Over loaded the Bollard. Not a truck overload. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/eric...o-walkabout-activity-6962401659079593984-5tT4
Interesting that once things got tight, everybody stood around watching. In the woods, things get that tight and everybody is looking for a hole to duck into and cover up. Personally, I would have been headed to the other end of then pier. Quickly...
The more distance between you and the point of failure, the less chance of a flying anvil, as shown in the video, coming to meet you.
Good thing for those guys the bollard went or they could have all been wiped out from the whip.
Estimated weight of that bollard was 2000 lbs I read, don't know if that's correct.
Appeared as a Launch that tugs did not get control of soon enough. Land Lubbers tried tying it off, not a best choice.
The guys on that tug must have been wide-eyed when they saw that bollard coming in their general direction
B-7. You sunk my battleship!!
This really isn’t a weight overload, more of an overload of stupidity. This crew was heading down the road in front of me, not just a few hundred feet, for miles, in moderate traffic, over 45 most of the time before they turned into the site they were going to….can’t fix stupid I guess….
WOW?????????
That is so fired for the whole crew if law enforcement spotted them. Better that than dead. My brother's friend watched a buddy die right next to him. He was in the back of the truck and reached in the window to mess with the driver, then fell right out and splatted right next to the driver's door. There's no words to describe how that guy felt. Sure, he was young and it was an accident. A totally preventable accident.
Not an over load but a un-usual wrecker load. Last Wednesday just as it was getting sundown I drove past a accident site where a fancy Pete with a van trailer piled up into the mountainside about 90 miles west of Tok, Alaska. A completely rolled up pretzel of what appeared to be a larger four seater side by side ATV was hanging from a 2 ton wrecker boom in the pull off that was across the road. By the skid marks it was obvious that the truck driver had swerved to the left lane and the adjacent steep downslope trying to avoid the ATV and then skidded back to the mountain side crashing into the rocks and ending up with the tractor 40 ft up the slope. I tried to stop for a photo but the State Patrol yelled at me to keep going. As I neared Tok I met a rotator wrecker with a Fairbanks name. The next morning while having breakfast the rotator pulled in and two guys came in for breakfast. I got the wreck story from them. It appears that two moose hunters setting at the overlook thought they seen a moose down below. They jumped into the wheeler and tore uo the slope to try to get a better view from higher up. They jumped out of the wheeler without setting the brake and it rolled away, backwards, down the mountain rolling out right in front of the truck driver. The driver swerved, it still catching his front steering tire, and sliding under the truck helped him angle back towards the mountain. The ATV rolled up under the truck, tearing the passenger side trailer gear off and bending the other side. They torched the gear off to move the trailer. The poor driver had thought he had killed some people and was ready to when he found out what happened. The truck and trailer was hauled the other way to Anchorage and the rotator was returning to Fairbanks after a long night.
This was at the lumber yard near us..
But but but! It's a TRUCK! Apparently nobody told them they could split the load and come back for the rest.
Or have it delivered!
A broken spring or maybe plowing straight ahead through a curve would be correct karma for this guy.
For a fact, he knows he won't be taping the sheetrock, or he doesn't know. The sheetrock in the middle of that load is mush. From this moment forward, everybody is going to be angry. Any surface will look like ****.
What could go wrong? He put a ratchet strap on it.
How big of a load do you have to order so delivery will be included? Looks like he is pushing it right there.
not there any more but there used to be a weigh station on I66 just west of fairfax va . saw a 20 ft uhaul rental van there one sunday morning that was loaded top to bottom front to back with 8x8x 16 cinder block all 4 rear tires blown
If it fits it ships
Sad part in this day in age with how often people change vehicles like women change tampons, some poor soul will buy that truck and never know the damage done to it since no car history will ever show of it.
He probably would have loaded higher but run out of rachet strap length.
I pulled out on the highway by the farm and met a side by side going down the highway. There was cars coming up behind it. There is no way i would drive one on a highway that dosent seem to have a speed limit. I have a buddy that told me he had insurance on his just like a car this would be a must. I would like to have one but they are the dangerous thing on wheels . They did away with 3 wheelers because of people getting hurt but i think side by sides are worse never ever get in one without using a seat belt.
OR he was smart enough to remember the height dimension of his garage door and that his [ lets say wooden floor] has a WEIGHT CAPACITY LIMIT.
First picture I took at a local gas station, second one I saw on the internet.
the trailer above might be on the edge of OK but that truck is not up to that. 16K GVW on the trailer, and the empty weight on those is 4 K, and a 305.5 e with cab is 11905 Of course there is not a single chain in sight either : facepalm: picture two is a genuine FAAFO moment.
Not much of an overload. He looks to be tongue high, might be putting more than half the weight on the rear trailer tires. My triaxle trailer was a project started by a friend. He used my garage to renovate the trailer, the project stalled. I finished it in part to empty the garage. I considered it half mine, I had as much money invested, as much labor. He had bought new Carlyle tires. Days after I finished the project, he loaned it out to a landscaper for a 900 mile trip to move shrubs. The "driver" wasn't very sharp & cranked the electric brake controller to the max. No load, then light load, he skidded the tires at every stop. All 6 tires were octagon from skidding. I bought new tires. Don't remember the brand. I also bought out my friend. I had blowouts of the sidewalls one by one. Eventually bought 6 BLUE STAR, Chinese tires. One at a time all 6 blew the sidewalls off the rim. I sold it, I felt my backhoe was too much weight for it. The buyer intended to haul two 5500 LB tricycle tractors. Less weight, I felt would solve a problem. He sold it a month later, said it wore tires. I later learned from the next buyer he never adjusted the pintle height. Front two springs were fully compressed & it rubbed on a crossmember. This buyer bought two new tires. Then the first wanted to borrow it for one last haul. There were hard feelings, he ruined the two new tires. I sold the trailer to a guy 35 miles from me. He sold it to a friend 6 miles from me. He, in turn, sold it to a fellow 10 miles from me. He hauls a 6 ton rubber tracked excavator. He's very happy with it. Trailer was adequate for the weight I carried, but a scarce sized tire. I could only find BLUE STAR tires in the weight rating needed. They just wouldn't last! About 5 years, it had maybe 24 tires. Last time I used it, I lost a tire and wheel. The open center wheels held in place with wedges & nuts were constantly loosening.
I didn't see a thing holding it on, except gravity, and snapped the picture.
The chains would have overloaded it, just sayin'
But I'd follow that vehicle to see if he has to stop quick.
grab your Cat Key and steal it off the back at a traffic light!! drive it down and across a river to escape! ( more like a shallow creek )
Few years ago I seen a local construction company pickup flipped over in the middle of the highway. That is why you don't tow a 262D with a 1500 series Chevy. This was a fairly large company, not some fly by night outfit either.
In 1985, I saw a fly by night company slide a D8 dozer off of a lowboy trailer, onto the highway, right in front of our sand plant. The driver decided one chain was enough on this little load, since he was just traveling a short distance to our plant. As he turned off the highway into our entrance, the D8 slid off sideways. Luckily, the blade hung up on the gooseneck part of the trailer, so it did not fall all the way off and turn over. Wish I had pictures of that back then.
I'm in extremely rural VT. Excavators who own chains & binders are a minority. A good friend always argued "if they want to move they will." Once he had a malfunction with a Talbert semi trailer. The trailer separated, trailer dug into the pavement. The 35 ton excavator did NOT move in relation to the trailer. He's a mechanic, patched it with duct tape & was gone before police showed up. Only a mysterious divot in the pavement.
When lowbedding or hauling equipment in general I tie most stuff down then drive like it is not. I figure if it can't get started moving then it should stay on the trailer. I have put the binders on kind of loose when I have not been worried about it moving and found them tight when I got where I was going. It moved.
This has been my experience with tires on trailers with 2 7k axles. It's like they are not meant to be loaded all the time.
I think you're right. It's pretty hard to find the difference between a 6k and 7k axle... Even 5.2k axles are similar size.
7K axles have 8 studs. 6K might only have 6 but I could be mistaken. Looking at the mini ex on the trailer, the trailer doesn't look to be very heavy constructed and the white painted semi-mag style wheels aren't as strong as plain stamped center steel wheels. The wheels and/or tires can be the limiting factor rather than the axle rating. Might only be 6K axles on the trailer.
I bought new axles for my trailer they ask if i wanted 6 or 8 lugs . I got 8 lug. I ask if he thought the 7k would be heavy enough he didnt say anything. I think i put the axles under it in the early 90s i hauled over 14k on it every trip and have had 20k on it before. I wish i would have kept track of the miles i put on it some were over 300.000. I havent had any problems but if i was doing it agin and done the math i would have been afraid that they were to light.
Maybe not an overload, but certainly not bright!
^ I approve of that rigging
I especially like the 3rd trailer upside down on the load. You go, U-Haul!!
That's scary. Considering deck trucks are usually operated by towing companies, you would think the driver would know better. I guess not.
What's wrong it's at least a 2500? Nothing wrong with pulling 15k trailer provided it isn't overloaded and everything is within it's capacity behind a pickup. I pull 18k behind my 3500 SRW without a second thought on a triple 7k trailer bumper pull.
that looks like a 2014 so Sierra 2500, the towing capacity is 13000. https://www.google.com/search?q=201...me..69i57.13941j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 That combo is 16000.
The difference between a 2500 and 3500 srw on most pickups is overload spring in the rear, nothing else. While they can print whatever ratings they want, they mean very little. Many trucks the towing capacity is changed by thousands with simply a different rear axle ratio, which has absolutely nothing to do with safety the only difference is it makes it easier on the drivetrain.
you do you. I'd never tow a bumper pull approaching the tow rating without a weight equalizing hitch either.
It depends a little on how often you tow, how far and the terrain you tow in. The biggest concern when approaching the capacity of the tow vehicle is braking. You're on the highway with lots of hills and intersections with a lot of stop and go situations, you want a bigger truck with more adequate braking. A heavy trailer can push a lighter truck around pretty easily in the right circumstances. You're just in the city, streets are pretty flat and you're not going over 40 MPH or long distances, then you could maybe be approaching the tow limit of the vehicle but make darn sure the brakes on the vehicle and the trailer are in good working order.
Well, speaking of on a 250....... 28800 total weight, Texas to Kansas with no engine fan, but had two electric fans from a Ford flex that were not adequate.
I had that experience recently, no fan. It was a surprise to me as I did not know the clutch was broken until a long pull. The funny thing was, it would randomly work once in a while and cool things right off. Some parts of the trip were slow with the windows open and heater on. Good thing it was cool and rainy outside.
How slow are you going before you need a fan? I have ran electric fans on my last 2 pickups and they were not needed unless i was going maybe 20 mph or less . I would turn them on if i was in town stop and go.
I pulled my clutch fan off around 2 years before, it was stuck on. I ran no fan until a couple months before. Ac would go out and stoplights was only side effect. There are no 12v electric fans that can even come close to a clutch fan, you would need a 150+ amp fan. When I see people put a electric fan only on a diesel I laugh, as you will never use that thing like a diesel with electric fans. It was a cool day around 70° luckily. On the way down I ran 70 and used 1 fan. On the way back I used both, windows down, heat on, and half throttle, I literally watched live engine data the whole time and kept the hpop under 2000 psi otherwise it would runaway with heat. I kept the engine temp under 220, otherwise it would runaway with heat. Oil temp and trans temp were normal, trans was always under coolant temp.
I have friends that dont run any fans on some of there pickups believe it or not. My fans are on switches i have to remember to turn it on. I agree it would be hard getting a electric fan to compere to a engine fan. My pickup over heated once with the electric fan . I was towing a full size chevy bus that had a rear brake stuck almost to the point of locking up. I have pulled 25000 pounds and never need the fan unless i was stopped .
I tow only a 6500 LB camper behind a 3500 Chevy van. It can be unpleasant without equalizer hitch, dangerous without sway control. Yet a 23,000 trailer & load behind the dump truck is fine without either.
yea apples and watermelons LOL. I run about 5000 tongue weight on the 20 ton tilt. It pitches a bit on bad bridge joints, so I slow down for those.
Landscaper rig found on another site ...
Short wheelbase overloaded jeep. Nothing to be concerned about here
growing up in Eastern Washington, the guys with the long bed 4wd trucks did great. The jeeps seem to be just as happy sideways on the ice as going straight. They spent more time in the ditch.
I never really followed the logic on needing bigger brakes on a truck for stopping power when towing. The truck doesn't do the sole braking for the entire combination. The towing vehicle has brakes designed for its GVW. The trailer has its own brakes that are designed to handle its GVW. I tow a few times a year, not very often I'm above 4,000 lbs but I've never felt I needed to get on the brake pedal any harder to stop. These integrated trailer brake controllers are pretty dang impressive IMO.
They are great! Having big brakes on the truck especially in a 4wd is very important as the brakes don't always work on the trailer. You have to know some tricks to keep the wiring working when you drive on county roads or fields. Water corrosion can also make the brakes not work.
Depending on how bad you need the brakes, bigger brakes would/should hold better and not fade as easily. Not always perfect conditions when on the road and there can be emergency situations.
I pretty much re-wired my trailer when it was new (like seriously, 6 year old me could have done a far superior wiring job than what comes factory on most trailers). I always test the brakes before I leave and recalibrate the gain whenever load weight changes. A few years ago I was headed down the highway with an equipment trailer behind me. Had a car blow a stop sign and pull out onto the highway right in front of me. No where to go besides the ditch. Buried the brake pedal and it slowed like there wasn't 2,500 lbs of steel behind me. Stayed straight as an arrow the entire time. Didn't even lock the trailer tires. That was the moment I became a believer in the integrated controllers. The half tons they build today are not the half tons of yesteryear. These things handle towing far better than the 3/4 and 1 tons from 20+ years ago. I don't max out my truck, stick to about 75% of the rating or less. That said, if I needed to tow more weight or a 5th wheel I would not hesitate in getting a 3/4 or 1 ton.
Yeah factory wiring of flat beds and trailers are pathetic
A lot of trailers coming to Canada and sold here have terrible wiring. The place where I built my trailer used the superior wiring as one of their selling points.
I started out with a NOS brake controller one that hooked into the brake line. It was great but it went bad . I found another just like it steal in the box form 1976. It worked great then it had a problem. I have tried several of the new ones that hook to the brake light switch . I have never found one i like or could get adjusted to work like i wanted it to.
Those old Tekonsha controllers that tee into the brake line still show up on ebay now and then NOS. I never thought they worked that good as far as giving the right voltage to the trailer. I have a couple of old Kelsey Energize controllers and they take constant fiddling. But one has a Tekonsha Prodigy and it is better but still not great.
I’ve got a couple of Double A (now called Capital) trailers that are built here in alberta that have good wiring. They are 4 years old and no problems yet
Mine had Scotch-Locks at literally every splice. May was well have just twisted the wires together and put a wad of tape around them. I honestly cannot think of a single application where those Scotch-Locks would be acceptable for use.
Scotch-locks are only for emergency repair in my opinion
Those nasty little wire rot/guillotines became popular because of one company {U Haul}. When It comes to wiring for commercial trailers Grote and or Philips makes the best harness. A little pricy but well worth the expense. Utility uses Grote harness and lights warranted for five years. Rarely have a harness issue, just pigtails and marker lights, the LED tail lights are Grote, the last one I changed was 4 years ago.
The first new one i bought I would take off on my trip around 200 miles i didnt have as much brake as i liked know matter how i adjusted it. On the way back the brakes would get stronger and stronger to the point the wheels would lockup . I always drive like i dont have trailer brakes.
I can think of one application for the use of Scotch-Locks- Evidence in a court of law..... The engineer that okayed them should be tried for criminal negligence.
What do you guys use if a wire needs to be joined to the middle of a wire like were a scotch lock would be?
Un pin the wire from the connector, slide heat shrink over it, repin, move heat shrink, remove insulation, solder, heat shrink, done. I'd cut and solder the wire before using a scotch lock. Those things do everything wrong with a splice
Cut wire, insert butt splice, crimp in 2 wires to one end. That is the factory way for those factories that use that style of crimp connector. They make butt splices that are for a smaller wire size on one end so the bigger end can fit 2 wires, but I find it easier to strip one end twice as long, and fold it back on itself and crimp that way so the crimp terminal is filled better. There are heat shrink terminals with glue but if water is a problem, I generally fill and smear everything with Scotch Kote instead. All the heat shrink terminals have one issue or another to overcome. I don't use solder on moving/vibrating equipment.
I solder.
Lol i just picked up solder to fix a crossover I dropped.
I totally agree with Birken Vogt, using shrink butt connectors plus encasing the whole thing with shrink tubing. I do it that way-zero problems even 5 to 6 years later. Trailers or tractors come in I have X amount of time to find the problem correct it and send it down the road legal. I just don't have the time to spare soldering connections. It's got to go asap-so I repair the fastest way using shrink connectors and shrink tubing. I use Winzer products and have very good luck. But I hate hard wiring lights, most pigtails use bullet connectors so instead of cutting those off and hard wiring I use Peterson 176-496 female bullet connectors so it's back to plug and play. Dielectric grease is my friend on push together connections.
I've never had any luck with heat shrink butt connectors unless they are in the cab of something. At least on equipment you don't have salt and crap getting into them.
It really depends on brand and correct crimping tool, with shrink tube over the top it's water tight.
I normally just use uninsulated ones and slip heat shrink over top. Less bulky looking too when you have to do several in one spot.
Dab of dielectric grease helps too before sealing off. They also got heat shrink connectors that now have solder in them to solder the wires as you heat shrink them
Good info. I always thought soldering was the best way to connect wires. Maybe it depends on the particular wire? I've wished they made HD allen head screw type connectors for battery cables like they have for welding cables. Simple to use, very good connection and you could reuse them. Even with heat shrink you could cut or burn it off if necessary.
Soldering causes wires to break strand by strand back in the insulation where you can't troubleshoot it easily. Where the solid solder meets the stranded wire. Crimping is the way the OEMs construct things and the best way. But each crimp tool is over $50, not the junk from the hardware store to do it right. I agree with Mike, the way to do it is to slide heat shrink that contains the inner glue over the wires after you have made the connection with a "normal" butt splice and melt it then. The ones that have the heat shrink as part of them I have had poor performance with, trouble is the crimp tool breaks the tube when you crimp it, and then when you heat it, the little breaks turn into a big rip and the whole thing falls apart. Better to use a normal terminal and then slide an undamaged heat shrink over the whole thing.
I've been using tape over crimps for years. I only have so much room and don't carry much of a torch. A little butane rig that doesn't really get hot enough in thirty degrees or less temperature. I do three wraps that are stretched on each turn till smooth. No wrinkles and the last wrap is pulled until it snaps off and then I roll the end hard onto the wire. Here are some programs I did when things were slow.
I agree that crimping is the way to go covered by the glue heat shrink. I have also used regular heat shrink covered with a coating of liquid insulation by 3M called Scotch Coat. Cam
If you are using tape to wrap, I would not recommend the $1 rolls from the store. Cheap tape falls off to easily if it gets too hot or too cold. Scotch 33 or Scotch 88 are good quality tapes. All tape works better if it is stored in your shirt pocket if the weather is cold. Cam
I keep the tape in the short door pocket in the pickup. The cheap stuff won't stretch and the glue gives up pretty quickly. I have a box of selected shrink wrap sizes in the truck but the problem is if it fits the wire, it won't go over the connector. If it fits the connector it won't shrink to the size of the wire. Some years ago I could get the good stuff that would shrink enough to properly seal. Anymore all I get access to cheap stuff. Tape will always fit.
Cut the end of the tape with scissors or a sharp knife before you stick the end down. It does not shrink and unravel that way. I also like Scotch Kote, I carry it on the truck and occasionally smear it on things that don't need to get wet. It disappears in the sunlight, though.
This came up on FB today. Not really an overload but it made me laugh.
Reminds me of a Tavern trick-glue a 50 cent piece to the bar top counter.
Folding mirrors are a hazard to society. I followed this lady for 5 miles the other day, she evidently never bothers to look in her mirrors, because they never did get unfolded.
That one reminded me of something my dad said he and his buddies would do back when they we in the service, probably before going to Europe in the 1940's. Not sure how many know or have ever seen a $2.00 bill in the USA but they do exist and I believe the latest version was release in 2019! Well what dad and his buddies would do is go into a bar and order drinks. When bartender brought them they would lay a $20 bill on the bar. If bartender would go get the change they would drink their beer then switch the $20 for a $2 and hand it to the bartender when he came back. 90% of the time the bartender was too busy to notice, but if they did they would say he must have made a mistake and take the correct change for the $2. He said they made some good money that night! Of course they would leave and head to another bar fast!
I have done several things over the years and had good results that have now been proven to work and last but years later i was told it was a bad practice. One thing i did alot was to squirt some silicone up into the crimp conecters any time they could get wet like tail light wires . I have stuff that i did 30 years ago and is working good today. I can see were soldering could make the wire brittle but on most stuff is it going to take 10 years or more to be a problem.
More and more I'm seeing people driving at night without having their lights on or not realizing their lights aren't on. I'm convinced it's because of the stupid design of day time running lights. Headlights are on but at less than full power but no tail lights. There should at least be an indicator clearly visible advising the lights aren't on or better yet just have the lights either on or off. Who ever thought up daytime running lights with no tail lights should have their head examined. So should the car makers for not realizing the serious hazard they pose at night.
It's probably an auto headlight problem, someone turned them to off and they think they will come on automatically
Maybe sometimes but then I don't think you would have any headlights at all. Daytime running lights, the headlights are on but not full power so it can be hard to tell you don't have the (full) lights on. Also if you drive past cars with no tail lights, the headlights will be on but not as bright.
Dad said they did a similar dirty trick when they were crossing the Pacific in WWII. They had nothing but time. One of the ships had a bent shaft and held up the rest and they still zig-zagged for the submarines. They took the foil wrapper from cigarettes and carefully formed it over a quarter, working it in there and making a perfect copy on one side and the edge. Then they would cut off the excess with a fingernail, blow it off the quarter, and onto the deck. Sometimes it took a few puffs of breath to get it right side up. Then they'd loiter around and wait to laugh at the victim who tried to grab it up.
joe h. should have posted this here. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1760939134247585
Last word (perhaps) on taping connectors. Lay down a couple of layers of Scotch 130C. It is a medium voltage (600-100,000V) tape and is waterproof. Then lay down a couple of layers of 33 or 88. You pull them until they start to turn a light gray. reducing width by about 1/3. It is easiest to go over the top, hook your finger behind the roll as it returns to you under the splice and pull as you go. Personally, I crimp everything (with the designed crimper) and run heat shrink over it. If it works for 69,000VAC I figure it will work for 12VDC. In the old days of taping splices you might use 12 rolls of 130C and another half does of 88 or 33. Now, it is all either heat shrink or cold shrink. aAll are waterproof since so many manholes are submerged most of the time.
I watched the first two minutes, looks like a road paver and excavator in one package.
Scraper.
Not a overload but working that direction.
They had to stretch the truck so they could put a big enough fuel tank in it
Interesting photo!
Watching video that something gives me the impression that they'd done that more than a few times before. It's a coal mine somewhere in Greece IIRC.
Same outfit if I'm not mistaken.
You'd better not care about your cab if you haul on that job.
Probably not the smartest run operation I've ever seen.
I get the impression the truck drivers are all sub-contractors..........
I would agree with that. I've never seen an outfit that would swing a bucket load of dirt toward the cab end of the truck. I also don't understand a trucker that would allow so much overload. Some of those trucks appeared to have side boards more that a foot high. I hate tothink of all the broken springs, broken suspension parts and tweaked truck frames on an operation like that. All I could figure is that the spoil was going down a highway somewhere and rock trucks couldn't be used.
No, it's just going from the excavator to a dump. It's simply the way they move dirt. The lignite coal is extracted by bucket-wheel excavator once the overburden is removed. There are a lot of mines in Latin America using trucks such as that to move dirt. Labour is cheap, and you don't need the massive amount of road infrastructure required with a rock truck. Also if one goes down the overall effect on dirt-moving capacity is negligible. https://www.scania.com/uk/en/home/products/trucks/transport-operations/mining/in-pit-work.html
I'd be more worried about the hoe operator taking the cab off with the bucket then the overloading I would bet being it's offroad in the end it's way more profitable to overload them like that. At even 20% extra per load you can just run the trucks to destruction and I wouldn't be surprised at the low speeds if it didn't even cause much for issues and won't burn much extra fuel.
As one large dirt mover explained to me years ago, the average dump truck was a evil necessity. I'm sure there are several opinions about that.
That truck does NOT need power steering! Might want left & right brake pedals to steer when front wheels aren't touching the ground.
It makes you think about how good we have it here compared to other countries.
How so.? Have you considered the possibility that it could be they’re doing it right and have been all along.?
I saw a truck smashed when a crane lost its load swinging it over the truck. There was nothing that made doing it that way the only way the operator was just in a hurry. No one got hurt other than the truck.
Everyone in that video is probably making ( relative ) bank too.
They’re shifting some serious dirt, that’s for sure. I reckon about 2000 cu yd/hr. If you watch past the first couple of minutes of the video the excavator starts loading over the rear of the trucks....
If it won't all fit in the trailer, just strap it on the back with some ratchet straps. This was on I-70 out in central kansas.
I was peripherally involved in loading this mess. We were replacing some equipment at the feed mill, they came out of the load out with this bulk bag full of feed, I could see air under the back tires of the loader tractor when he came out. So he set the bag on the truck scale, and couldn't pick it back up with the loader tractor. Amazingly, their smaller loader tractor wouldn't pick it up either. So I grabbed the 4 handles, and the one strap they already cut with the loader forks, ripped out. I gently set it back down on the scale, and asked "what's this going on?" The gray truck. The 1 ton single wheel gasser truck- flatbed with the bale bed. And they put it behind the axle, so they could unload it with a forklift - if they got it where it was going. It did make it to the unload - it had to be a miracle.
Steering??? Braking???? Might be a tad light on the front end.
Common.
What do you call Central Kansas? Ive had a yard and a half of mason sand in my f250, was quite heavy and loaded better than that feed bag, if they could have got it a touch forward might have had some steering along the way.
Just a blonde hair light on the steering.
Come on guys, that's a four wheel drive f350 ; if you look around the net, you'll soon learn they can haul ANYTHING!
Is there even such a thing as a 2wd pickup these days?
Ha- I just noticed your location. Had supper in Junction City friday night, we spent the night in Hays, looked at a crane saturday morning. I was back home saturday by 5:00. Truck thermometer said 11 saturday morning, but I didn't think it felt that cold. I brought my coat and hat and gloves, my wife only brought a light jacket and I had to make a run to home depot for stocking hat and gloves because she was cold. I told her before we left but-
F250's can as well. Yes in texas Yeah we have a saying in Kansas, wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the wind, and it wasn't windy that morning, was a very nice morning. Where did you look at the crane? Hess?
It's all I got, and I live in snow country. I just go home when it snows, it will get plowed soon enough. Also I have learned the hard way where and when I can and can't go. I was out wallering around in it just last week.
I don't think I've ever seen anything 2wd that was newer than the square body era.
That's a 2003 2wd, and probably quite an overload. I ran into a new super duty a few years back that's was 2wd, they are out there.
Common around here.
We have a 1999 F250 service truck that is 2wd, along with the old square bodies. I talked an old coworker into 2wd for his RV hauling pickup (he was about to retire) 20 years ago, it was a Dodge diesel. He passed away long ago, can't ask him now how he liked it. I like not hauling around a bunch of iron, transfer case, drive shaft, pumpkin, knuckles, and the associated complication that goes with them when they wear out. I guess I got it from my grandpa, literally (still have his truck) and the Great Depression never ended in my family, practical and utilitarian to the max. There is a wide range of elevation here, I go work in the low country if the high country is snowed out. It melts eventually (usually)
Imo, 4wd automatic 2wd manual
You can new super duty s in 2wd still
Always lmao at people with their 2wd pickups. My cousin worked 40 years at GM. 20 miles each way, always bought (like his dad) the cheapest truck he could. 2wd, 6cyl, 3 on the tree...... Retires and buys a 4x4 when he doesn't have to go anywhere.....***? Ed
I've seen that before. A tool guy in the oilfield always had a 2wd and his last truck he finally bought a 4wd around 5 years before he retired. You really need a 4wd out here in the oilfield, we still work in the mudd but they don't want to pay for cats or something else to get you in or out
Yeah, I got a 2WD. It's a Toyota Hilux diesel. It's got plenty of power. It's a great little hauler. But I had to beef up the rear springs somewhat for trailer towing.
I have had mostly 2wd and would like to have another. The last one i drove i steal have it but its in bad shape it has over 750.000 miles . I liked it and if i had to do it agin i would spend the money and buy a air locker for the rear end. I think the extra wear and tear ,the extra gas and what ever else i saved money and extra repairs its not worth having a 4wd . Yes there is a place were having a 4wd is very needed but i dont need a 4wd very often . Hauling scrap iron almost every one dont want you making a mud pit out of there place and as every one knows its no fun working in the mud so i tried not to. I told a buddy that is retierd i wanted to find a 2wd he said how can you get by i ask him when was the last time you used 4wd in your pickup and he couldnt tell me.
Won't see me pulling overloaded, turn all lights off and turn BO markers on with some NODS and go off road. That's the pin out to my trailer lights, 12 pin
I got loaded by a Cat 990 one day, needed a ton and a half, dispatcher says go over by the pile and back up to it. Big cat comes around the corner, clips another pile with his bucket and scoops up a few yards in the corner, puts the entire bucket over my truck, F250 and puts a couple yards in the back before I just drove away. bucket was longer than the truck. None on the roof though but looking up at those teeth was something
solder a quarter to a roofing nail and pound it into a step someplace.
Where's this extra maintenence with a 4wd? Over 200k on the clock and the front end on mine is still as tight as the day it left the factory. Up here its needed, some days you can't even get out of the driveway without it.
Where there is more parts there will be more maintenance. Two examples. My f250 has locking hubs, I have a vac leak so I could fix it or just plug the line and go manual, which I did. Last year running down the road I got a huge vibration and ended up being the drive side locking hubs failed and locked it in causing the front driveshaft to turn, and the drive shaft went out on the truck. Now I check the drive shaft every oil change to see if it's free, and I'll lube up my locking hubs probably every other. I'll link this one to you tube it's so funny. Stupid dodge and their full time locked in front drive shafts, every 100k you should change your front driveshaft. This one went and took out everything. Fuel, shifter, wire harness, transfer case. This is also why I don't trust help, guy wanted a new pickup.
I choose to live on a relatively flat lot with a short driveway to a major county road that gets plowed close to a busy highway. It is a up-down-up to get to the plowed road so I can usually just barge my way out. Occasional shoveling won't kill me if it comes to that. Otherwise it is a matter of preference, I have always thought I would like a 4wd but after all these years never quite got one so I have concluded it is just not necessary for me. One thing that bugs me is the people with their SUVs and Subarus who don't think it is necessary to ever hire a plow on a private road, packs it into a bobsled track that cannot be negotiated by any real truck, chains, 4wd or anything. Tell them to call back when it melts, ice too packed to plow by then.
Have to knock on my wooden head about every other day as to all the way too heavy or too stupid **** I have done over time and gotten away with. That old ton dodge I had, put Five ton clean 2" on it every load, quarry operator would corner a bucket and had it down to a science as to hitting five ton. Worked fine until sold it, to a landscaper, they broke frame in half hauling three ton on it.
We have 150 yards of uphill on our driveway coming in. The pickup empty just chews it up in 2wd so I just slip it into 4wd at the road. Really cut back on driveway maintenance. Cam
Besides the Dodge wearing out axle u-joints and front track bars every few years I've never had any issues with increased maintenance on a 4wd pickup from the big 3. Only time things seem to wear out is if I put a suspension lift in.
I have 1/2 mile of private road. I had worked on it extensively & was proud how smooth it was. There is 1/10 mile of steep hill. Idiot/friend came up one day: "I spun all the way, but I made it in 2 wheel drive!" I replied: "Thanks Dave."
With friends like that, Willie I saw a guy having a bad day, hauling a pickup on a trailer behind his pickup. He did the poor tie down job, had to stop fast and the load over ran the trailer and into the back of his truck. When I drove by the tow truck was having a heck of a time getting it separated. :doh: We also saw a T-bone in NYC. A car ran the light and hit the car in front of us pretty solid, but they both could keep moving. The peach of a driver behind me honks his horn about the holdup.
We too have friends. Suggested to our friend to unhook the weigh distribution hitch for his travel trailer (rsh)at the bottom of the hill. Rear wheels hardly had any weight on them at the bottom of the hill and he spun most of the way up. Cam
I had a 2001 GMC 2500 van converted to 4 wheel drive, (Quigley). It was lifted, as they needed the space between oil pan & differential. It had Dana 44 front axle. I objected, 44 (in my opinion) wasn't heavy enough. They assured me it's rated 4500 LB, it'd be fine. I went through bearings, front brakes, universal joints & steering components endlessly! My present van is Quigley converted also. It uses front parts from a GM heavy duty pickup. 133,000 miles, no front end failures except brakes & tires. Also, it's a truck I'm happy to drive long distance, much better road manners than the last one. The earlier one was like a mechanical bull!
I was talking to a mechanic buddy he is as old as me. We started working on 4wd long before CV axles and IFS . Out of the blue he started talking about how much things had changed with 4wd. You could buy a new 4wd and till it got 3 years or older no problem but after that it was used hard or the drive train started showing its age . The ujoints ether wore out or got water in them and need replaced . The yokes got weeds and grass rapped around them and the seals went out. If you had a 4wd it was locked in early in the fall and stayed that way till summer. Most guys had there front ends rebuilt at the end of the summer. Drive shaft splines would wear out and strip. If you wanted to save money hubs were unlocked religiously to save on parts wearing out.
When i was an apprentice at a ford dealer we made a lot of money re-packing front hubs, changing the inner needle bearings, spindles, axles, u-joints, driveshafts etc. that was back in the late 70’s. The maintenance on 4WD nowadays is nothing like it used to be
I've never heard of "death wobble" in a 2wd pickup.
The problem with a 2wd diesel pickup is that the front end is so heavy the back wheels can’t get enough traction to move it. The dealership I used to work at had a 2wd ford diesel f250. If you parked nose in downhill on grass it could barely pull itself back out. Sometimes you had to rock it to get moving. I run all 4wd on my work trucks and have been known to shift it to 4wd while rolling on the highway at 110 km with a trailer behind if it looks like it’s getting icy. I’ve had some guys say that’s hard on it. My answer is it’s a lot harder on it being upside down in the ditch cause the back end stepped out.
It's only hard on it if your on the throttle, if you grab it like grabbing a gear it's not at all. Ford's esof can do it to 55 mph which is around your 110ks
I've owned 4wd trucks since I got my license at 16. I've had both styles, CV shafts and locking hubs and all were high milage vehicles. Only one of my 5 trucks have I replaced any of the front axle drive components. That truck had over 200,000 miles when I changed the u joints. I also changed the driver side lock in hub as it set up from not getting turned over the summer. So, I dont see the expense side of owning a 4wd as being that big of a hindrance, especially with CV shaft style front ends. Seriously, 75-80% of the year I could get by with a 2wd, but during the winter, I'd never make it up the hill to my house. Plus the odd time during tillage or harvest that I need to get in or out of a soft field. I use 4wd sporadically outside of winter.
6643
Same. My 13 had 175km on it when stolen and the only thing I touched was the front brakes, the front end was still tight. Truck I have now has 150km on it and same thing only brakes. The 5500 I sold a few months ago had 200km on it and needed front axle u-joints but it's not really a big deal at that mileage to me.
I'm a little north of 200k on mine and the only front end issue to date was a front axle seal done under warranty. Just checked all my brakes and still probably 20-25% left on the factory pads, hardly a lip on the rotors. Part of that is probably due to driving habits though.
I don't use brakes much. In drive, on level I might slow at an intersection. Vermont is 90% hills, always going up or down. I shift manually to avoid braking too much. We are among the worst places for salt corrosion. Probably average three years before a total brake replacement is needed. We do wheel bearings, rotors, pads & calipers. 4 years it's time for CV shafts. My big mouth! I mentioned good luck with my current GM with Quigley 4 X 4 conversion. Next day noisy. It needs two cross joints in the front drive shaft & there is slop in the left front output shaft. Salt is so destructive!
Sitting at the computer doing some accounts receivable and my attention drifts,... Here is a good overload. Had a co-worker from a different terminal helping me with chores. Needed a damaged delivery hose transported across town. My guy was such a fireball, he couldn’t wait for the warehouse crew to return with the pickup. Loads 120’ of hose in his girlfriend’s new Honda. Whatever it takes!
And that was the last time he was ever seen lol
Lol... The ol’e boy did disappear shortly after. I was pleasantly surprised to run into him again, a few years later, out the Aleutian chain.
Anyone missing a chimney? I had to turn around and grab a picture for this thread!
That's some fine masonry work there-almost as good as mine.
Well the half ton handled it. The trailer not so much.
Those 710s are pretty stout, but I don't think it's gonna pick up 6-8 ton.
They don't make tires and axles like they used to! I was talking to an old prospector once, and asked him how the (assembled) Huntington centrifugal roller mills on my gold mine had been moved into place in the late 1940's, from the rail siding about 2 miles away. If you've never seen a Huntington roller mill, I can tell you they are a pile of massive castings that weigh around 6 tons when assembled. He replied, "Oh, they used that old 1929 Ford AA (single rear wheels) tray truck, that is a now a stripped wreck over there!" I said, "But the AA Ford truck is only a 1-ton truck! - and it has wooden-spoked wheels! You mean to tell me they put 6 ton roller mills on a 1 ton truck with wooden wheels, to haul the mills in here?!" "Yep", he replied. "But when I saw those back tires on the AA Ford, with the roller mill on there, I was sure they was gonna bust!!! But they made it!!" I guess the fact they only had to go 2 miles, and they probably only travelled at walking pace was the reason they made it. Regardless, imagine sitting 6 tons on one of todays 1-tonners? The rear axle would buckle within a minute. https://www.flickr.com/photos/42220226@N07/44829708091
I can see the news headline now Florida man… damn that state gives me and wife laughs in the morning when reading the news and we start off with; Florida man/woman…. Nice truck bed you got.
Way back the outfit I was working for had some ex-military tank transporter trailers that were used for moving our D9's around. From the data plate the trailers were rated at 100 tonnes maximum load up to a speed of 5mph and 50 tonnes maximum capacity above that figure. Our lot regularly used to put two D9G push cats on the back and hammer off down the road. Then they wondered why the trailers had so many tyre problems.
We got us a winner!!!
At least he didn't cheap out on the number and size of ratchet straps.
Just keep loading it up! If the tires touch the deck, it's time to stop loading!
I don't know. I sold a triaxle trailer. I had adjusted the pintle ring for my truck that is pretty tall. The buyer used a 1 ton dually. His hitch lower, he did not adjust. With little load, he backed an antique farm tractor as far forward as possible, much of the weight was on the pintle hitch. Didn't take long to ruin the first two tires, rubbing on the deck.
Not a over load. https://www.wabi.tv/video/2022/11/2...ash-urge-others-be-careful-driving-icy-roads/
Looked to me that the truck was going too fast for conditions.
Which is normally the case.
Holy crap!! It’s just amazing that wasn’t a million times worse.
Three people on foot with a sliding truck and trailer headed their way isn't a great scenario. I can't believe any of them made it, they got tossed around like rag dolls.
Lesson learned, stay in your vehicle. If you get out of your vehicle, get off the road.
I was at a friends car and mechanic shop this week. He told me to look at that half ton chevy and tell him what's wrong. The guy brought it in for turn signals not working. It had the u bolts completely gone off one side of the rear axle and it was floating back and forth on the spring. He showed the guy and he said he didn't notice it driving any different. Evidently it had been that way for awhile if the drive hadn't changed.
Yeah I did that back in my younger years, that's my set up at one time.
Now there are 2 pieces of junk.
I was counting 3 in the picture
Most certainly WAS!, Herder overloaded his own ass!!!
That was a high speed {Batman 180* turn}.
Spud, looks like a converted camper frame trailer to me?
Unless used Lead ballast in rears the trailer frame was the issue.
Any one that ever built a trailer that worked has some skills and was lucky. I have built several and was luck but i wish i know a good engineer i may have to build another before long.
It was, I got it for free, no loss only gain in the end since it became part of the scrap pile. If you know your metal well in looking at it and knowing what is there, you can go to any trailer sales place take a look at the one you want and build your own by looking at their design.
What scares me somewhat is understanding corrosion weakening of frames and support structures, seeing some of the overly priced offerings as to used Semi Trailers. If use them for lighter loads OK, but to put into duty hauling to GVWR Specs could be inviting disaster. Looked at this one, HOOWEE, I walked away shaking my head. CANNOT Weld Rust, this beast already had fish plates on fish plates. Was an almost duplicate in Red overpaint to this, was even worse similar price as had FRESH Repaint trying to hide the problems. 1999 Talbert 48ft drop deck closed tandem trailer - heavy equipment... (craigslist.org)
I dont know if that trailer would even be good to haul hay on a farm. What are you looking for i am looking to maybe i will run across something ?
40+ foot step deck but no need for greater than 45, preferably on air ride. Junkyard put me on to a trailer salesman in KC but nothing in the "Affordable Range" currently.
Well, the winch on the neck looks pretty good.
Wow I would of ran from that one and not much scares me. Was a Braden 30k hydraulic winch or bigger ran by a 10 HP diesel engine. More winch than rig to hold it, pull the rig and the tree attached to it once, shouldn't have sold it.
that is word. Wife was driving across Snoqualmie Pass when the road went really bad. It was like a coat of wet latex paint. We round a bend and a semi is jackknifed and pinning two cars to the right guardrail in a right turn. she slows and then I see the next truck driver arrive behind us doing 55 and flashing his lights. I tell her to punch it and then dive in behind the wreck. That worked. The truck got through the gap and did not hit anybody. We are sitting there and getting our breath, and I see this woman out of her car about 40' ahead of us, thinking she is going back to help. ??? I tell my wife " she is going to get hit" and maybe 15 seconds later a car loses it around the wreck, past us, and then dribbles her off her own car and then the guardrail for good measure. All right in our window. I'm who I am and jump out and get her across the guardrail. The state patrol was already there and said I got this, get out of here. Damn brave guy, he climbed up the super and peeked around and told me to go go go. I crawled out of there spinning tire, and as soon as I could turn around we went back home. We covered her with our car blanket. She had compound fractures of her leg. Stay in your car!
I won't go into detail-Rocky Cut I-90 MP 96.5. One I remember all to well, women's car was against left guard rail on super turn, tried to cross on foot to right side of freeway. Slipped fell down stood up. There was a imprint/outline of her body in the grille of a 4300.
I will keep my eyes open . As soon as i can i am going to start driving around looking. I know were there are some trailers but because of being busy and mud i havent been to look. I need i think a 30' but i have a torch . I would take a goose neck or a fifth wheel . There is a fifthwheel i think 53' at Hale Mo with 3 7000 axles . If it was cheaper and ok i would cut it down and use one air brake axle with short tires.
Spotted at the grocery store at lunch. I think I could have fit my fingers between the receiver hitch and the asphalt, but it would have been close.
No safety chains or breakaway connected either by the looks of it. Just 100% pure stupidity right there.
Never buy a used minivan with a trailer hitch.
Has everyone missed the fact that the real crime here is driving a minivan in the first place.........
A fellow I know had one I made fun of him he said only way the whole family can ride in one vehicle. I said you could have tried watching tv.....
Diaper wagon.
Yuppie box
Almost certainly a 1.25" receiver, too.
A diaper wagon is a little too low class for a Yuppie.
I owned a 2005 Ford Expedition that had 3, full size bench seats. Seated 9. My current 2012 Expedition has captains chairs up front; still comfortably seats 8. Never an excuse to own a mini-van.
I had a standard issue Toyota Sienna a few years back. Sold it as upsized to a 2006 3500 GM bus van (large family). Hardly did anything to the Toyota, business partner bought it, still going strong. The GM van definitely has more problems to fix. And the 6 liter LS burns more gas than the 3.3 V6 did. But upside is, can throw all camping gear and firewood desired behind rear seat, plus tow an enormous trailer. Also more problems equals the kids get more experience working on the thing. The breakdowns are probably a net benefit in the long run from the opportunities for experience they provide. Toyota might as well have been an electric motor, just turn on and go.
Short box regular cab for the win. No room for passengers and a short box means you won't get bothered by people to haul their crap around.
I could never give up my 8 ft bed. I've owned 7 pickups since I got my license at 16. Only one had a short bed and I said never again after that truck.
I hate my short box, but parking a long box is a nightmare, and it wouldn't fit in my garage. Add in the fact that I have the rambox and a slip tank, I have a 4'x4' box left which doesn't hold much. But i'll take that inconvenience of pulling a trailer a few extra times over trying to park the longer truck everyday.
I've owned three 6.5' bed trucks. I find the 8' typically don't look as nice on anything after the squarebody era. A guy I went to tradeschool with had an absolute mint 90's Chevy 2500 regular cab long box 4x4. With just a levelling kit and aftermarket wheels that thing was by far one of the nicest trucks I've ever seen.
Everyone I know has a long box so when or if I needed one I would go borrow theirs. If I need to tow something {I go get a real truck the W9 from work}
My first criteria when I look to buy a pickup is it has to be a long bed. I can't imagine why anybody would buy a shortbed for work. I know I am very different than most in that looks is my last criteria. I don't want to drive around in something beat to hell, that looks like you either can't drive or don't take care of your stuff, but I would buy a pink and purple longbed with a dent in every panel before I bought a shortbed. Even my Ranger is 7.5'. It frustrates me how hard it is to find a used longbed, anymore.
A lot of times over the years i could have used a pickup with a 12’ bed
I have a truck with a 21' flatbed, half the time I wish it was 30' I have a 46' flatbed trailer, half the time I wish it was 53' I have a truck with a 9' service bed, my next one will be 11', then I'll need 14', etc.
I've owned 10? pickups. Never driven one regularly. It drives me crazy to look out in the distance at what I want, no way to get to it but climb. Everything is wet, vulnerable to theft. I drive a van. I carry 14' long lumber inside with the doors closed. I carry a 24' extension ladder inside. My doors keep critters, thieves & rain out mostly. I get better fuel economy, & I can reach everything standing on the ground.
Wife has a van, with a trailer hitch....... I love the thing, best way to haul people around and drives like a car. We had a expedition, it's different for different jobs. I loled at the hitch and said I'd never use it but one time we were out of town and my brother called about a lawn mower for sale and we picked it up on the way home with his trailer. Bought it for $2800, it's worth more than that now. If I need to do an errand in town I take the van, no need to fire up the diesel that is over $1 a mile. Got a sheet of sheet rock one time when it was raining out, didn't want to remove the middle seats just folded them and had to tilt the front seats forward for it to fit, truly lol. You could drive 90 down interstate with a dead hooker on the hood. Truly a lol wagon. Long bed pickups only look right with a regular cab, 4 doors look right with a short bed.
Every one does and has different jobs to do . A short bed is ok for me because a long bed is way to small i almost always use a trailer. My f600 14' flat bed has been great its easy to drive and can haul more than 3 pickups. For years i was going to put a hoist on a 3/4 or one ton no offence to any one but now that set up would have been a joke way to small. Maybe i am wrong but when i go to haul scrap,bruch or trash if i cant put together a full load i am just being lazy.
I bought this long bed 73 Dodge 50 years ago TODAY!! Wish I had it back.......
Sure took Dodge a looooong time to update the styling. Still a classic looking truck. Wish there were more on the road these days.
Personally I'm partial to the extended cab 6.5' bed. I hate carrying groceries or other things I've purchased in the front seat. I don't haul around passengers much, if at all, so I don't need the big backseat. I can still haul my toys, toolbox, building supplies etc in the back. The tiny little 5 foot whatever box is literally the worst thing to ever happen to trucks.
My pickup has fold out floors under the back seats and you fold up the seats and gives you 2-3' x the width of the can for a flat cargo surface, works great for groceries.
I think my truck looks good proportionally speaking as a crew cab with a long bed: I do agree that these do not look right:
Your dually doesn't look like a long bed. I agree otherwise.
Years ago when I bought my truck I was also looking for a long box but I also came across a mega cab and those only come in short box… long story short (pun intended) the long box truck sold before I could make a deal on it and the mega cab had pretty much every option I wanted minus the long box so I thought what the heck and bought it, thinking I would get the long bed conversion one day, a day that has yet to arrive and most likely never will. I am sure happy with the mega cab what with all the crap my wife packs on road trips plus the kids have all sorts of room for their stuff… there’s only been a time or 2 where I wished I had a long box… I just built myself a trailer for when I need the extra room…
the thread drift is complete, well done gentlemen
It's my thread and I don't care. Next time somebody spies Billy Bob hauling a D6 behind his F350, it will come back.
Does this count?
Well, the front axle is probably a tad over, with that wheelbase... and those mudflaps are overloading it's ass with expectations, at least, it is only a Ford after all...
Popular thing to do this week I guess
Not quite yet. When these Things came on the market years ago Chevey should have come up with a name that fit. {The CHEVY SILVERADO BIGGG BUNNS} just for those who like big buns. Misfit/Ugly.
There is a Reason I added a Class 4 to this and a electric brake controller.. It will replace the Ford F250 when I am ready, tow ANY trailer I have or can get, haul ANYTHING I need to and not be on the ground or hitch damaged or a accident looking to detonate at next crossroads. And even with ALL the work and parts and effort STILL under $65k for the Beast, Cannot touch half the truck in a One Ton as little as three years old and due for serious repairs for that.
Wife calls Every Dually box bed with fender flares Fugly trucks with Hips!! She asked one guy with a smokin custom paint job on one, does the Color or scheme make you think that Looks Good??? I about spit my beer up!!
I thought they looked weird when they were a new thing too but I kind of got used to them now. Some Sprinter vans these days come with a dually rear axle but the inside tires track inside the fronts just like a real truck so not those big parking lot blockers.
Not an overload as much as an under secured load. I could see the bobcat rocking as I followed him down the road. He has 2 chains with binders on the rear of the machine and nothing on the boom or front end of the machine. Both chains that were used were loose and flapping in the breeze. You can see how much the machine had turned since it was loaded.
Bobcats are dime a dozen if it falls off no big deal just keep driving.
It never ceases to amaze me when I see a load that has shifted and realize the driver hasn't even glanced at it since he got in the truck.
Years ago it standard procedure with a high percentage of drivers to do a quick equipment check when stopping at rest areas or mandatory break. Walk around check tires, feel the hubs for heat, look for leaks, check load restraints if flat bedder. Today they have to show a 30 minute break in the first 8 hrs of driving, other than using the rest room they crawl back in and set don't check anything.
I still do walk arounds as make stops, pee breaks, fuel, just get up off my ass and walk the stiffness off, walk arounds looking at lights suspension, loose anything, tires and touch hubs.
I do that in my daily driver, never mind when hauling a load or driving something big.
Steering wheel holders. They're not truckers.
Herders here.
You guys can politely refer to them as {Steering Wheel Holders, Herders or what ever}. I refer them as {Bed Wetter's}. I had a driver tell me {they don't pay me enough to do a equipment check--***}. The mentality of these people - is so out of line for the job requirement. It's boiled down to babysitting, that goes for any type of job.
Some of it is hilarious. Sit and wait 2 hours to get a tail light changed because they don't get paid to fix stuff. Well how much did they lose sitting around for 1.75 hours that they could have been driving?
It is scary. But at the same time I wouldn't want a lot of these guys trying to inspect or do anything anyway, not even changing a light bulb. I know of a few companies who have their mechanics do the daily pre-trips. Most will not let any driver top up fluids, if it's low they say so and a mechanic does it. This summer alone my brothers guys ruined a handful of trailer plugs from pulling them not plugged in. I don't get it, if someone pulls a electric brake trailer not plugged in they screwed up 3 times. First hooking up, secondly not doing a walk around, and third for not adjusting/checking the brakes and checking lights.
And these same people think they're worth $15/hr
Ouch! It’s a good thing I’m thick skinned…
The one's driving the trucks make between 30-40/hr. The worst one got fired a few months ago, a few of the not as bad one's said they couldn't deal with the dumba$$ anymore. He came from a bank and never worked construction before, but after like 5 years was still clueless. It reinforces why I just work on my own.
Part of CDL Life, Understanding HOW and WHEN and WHY to do Vehicle inspects, then DOING them. Had sign offs for that on hard paper daily record at last employer, at the Nuke when used a company truck expectation was sign off a Written Pre Trip, could be fired if lied and just signed.
It's on the E-log-no paper VIR's. If a person was to set at a cesspool truck stop I have no doubt that only 50% do a pre-trip after 10 off.
I bought one with an 8 ft bed And turned it into this. Deck is 10 feet long. Rides great and so much more useful. 5.9 Cummins 6spd standard.
Deck works great for jobs like this!
Few years ago when I was shopping around for a new daily I was very tempted by a couple new 2500/3500 HD Chevys with flatdecks that the dealer had sitting on the lot.
Whats the point of a box on a dually?
A dumpster can throw **** in and ignore!!
Can attest SRW or Dually a pickup bed is a waste of area, makes a clean line but a service body or deck with storage is a far better choice as a work chassis and a cab/chassis a better buy.
222
It just doesn't have enough axles, eight more should do it.
*** kinda setup is that?
Gives you the ability to smash the fenders in that you can't do on a single wheel.
One with some really cheap tires and three at least are off the bead.
Dies can be heavy, really heavy. Ed
Gonna be tough jacking a axle under that!!
Doesn't matter how many axles the trailer had, or needs, the (what appears to be) aluminium deck and outer rails of the trailer just ain't gonna stand up to the load, IMHO. Where's the lowboy.?
That's being saved for when its really needed! lol
This is funny. Ram tough.
Yeah--Gut's, Glory, Ram.
This Prius towing a trailer with a Series 60 onboard reminds me of the song--Jim Dandy to the Rescue, Go Jim Dandy Go.
Built Toyota Tough..........
If a person was to step on that green tie strap dragging it might be like a string in a sweater, the whole thing might unravel.
I see that strap dragging and thought of this song. EDIT: LOL beat me to it!
More of an oxymoron, the type that drive a Prius is the type who would cheer to see one of those go in the shredder.
Oh he's just hiding the fact he's too broke being a trucker and had to have his mom haul it for him.
Got more money tied up in clamping it to the stand than securing the load to the trailer. Just one of those "F" clamps cost more than all those ratchet straps Almost $500 in "F" clamps, could of had it delivered for less than the clamps costed https://www.ebay.com/itm/334674624468
Would have been a lot nicer to just have a welded tab or two and some bolts dropped in, than all those clamps. And don't be hating on the Prius Spud, my daughter has one she drives back and forth for college, and that thing gets 45mpg pretty steady, and its a rock of a little car. I've thought about having one around the shop just as a parts runner. If you really push it, the little gas engine sounds like two cats in a bag rassling around, but if you can get past that- they're great cheap transportation.
I owned a Geo Metro so been there done that on the high MPG vehicles. Except I got the greatest laugh in Olympic National Park driving back out to Hurricane Ridge from PJ Lake and it's very very steep in spots, anyways driving my Geo after my hike a Prius was coming up the steep climb and in front was the wife walking and the husband driving cause the car couldn't get up it. There is turn outs since it's so narrow, I just turned out and had great laugh.
Wife was walking because she was terrified of the no guardrail drops, been there and done that. I know of a few people who won't even drive Chinook because of a few places with no guardrails.
Going up Deer Park on the other side of this one is more fun, no guardrails and you have to honk before going around one lane blind corners.
I like cheap cars too, trouble is my knees are up by my ears and my foot hits the brake when I try to push in the clutch too.
I'm 6', you can't be that much taller than me. Though I do agree on pushing two pedals at once dilemma, though not all small vehicles have that problem.
Heck I do that in the 1 ton GMC in work boots. My beetle gets it done, the seat jacks up almost pickup truck high and is the second most comfortable rig we own, at least for me.
First wife had a 1980 chevy chevette when I met her. 1.6L 4 spd 4 door carbureted. Took it on a trip, Filled the tank in Florence Ore put 146 miles on it getting to Cannon Beach. I decided to top the tank before heading home, guy at the station comes up to the window says {That will be $4.02}. Nothing ever broke on that car.
My brother and his wife had a Chevette of about that vintage, tiny 4 cyl. and an auto, drove it 'til they were just sick of it, it never broke either.
LOL won't this thing DIE? I remember my buddy's ford escort, the seat went to heck but the car kept going. I welded up the floorboards and seat frame a few times.
Yes, & come spring you'll be surprised by all the junk hidden under all that snow. That's why I drive a van.
A veteran parts guy at the chevy dealer told me he sold very little in replacement parts for the Chevette. It was a main reason GM quit producing it.
I can see that happening. A manufacturer in general makes little money on the sale of new vehicles, they make it on the sale of parts throught the life of said vehicle.
Obviously he decided he needed more weight up front so the garden tractor was the logical thing to do. I wonder how often the loader creeped down and did he wait until it started tapping on the roof?
There is foolish, then stupid, then brain dead!!! Is a HUGE reason that hood is up!
^^^^Looks like he needs a belt plus suspenders to hold that {big nose big buns Ford together}. He shouldn't have trusted his pants. It more than likely became over loaded with all the Tater Salad and KFC with eleven secret herbs and spices he loaded in the ass of that camper, oops I left out the lime Jello with carrots-yum.
And that was actually a F450 or bigger!! Ten lug wheels. Frames must have been Lightened a LOT to fail as that!! Had tonnage on my old 250 and frame not once ever tried to contort as that.
Tell'n yah Dave it was that tater salad and kfc that did it. These late model King Ranch Fords just can't handle the picnic food like they use to.
LOL!! Glad I do not do KFC!!
No KFC in this town, was one then they left town. Must of been frame rot to cause that, I pulled FEMA mobile homes 12' x 40' with my ol's F450 and it didn't do that.
There are two pictures on the internet of that same camper and trailer from a different angle, truck broken in same way, but it's a different truck each time. Strange.
Maybe did similar as did on 150s Local body shop replaced close to half dozen 2012 and newer frames, boxed at back of cab area, no way to eliminate collecting detritus so sets off rot, some at less than 50k but out of warranty on time.
That trailer on a looonng extension isn't helping....
There is pictures of a new dodge 3500 snapped in half with a big camper on it. Story is Dodge denied the warranty claim for over loading
I realize this isn't a diesel, for msrp at the time verses msrp now verses how few problems then verses how many recalls now verses how tough and how many miles those would run. This 1972 F250 was a tough go anywhere machine, wasn't super powerful or real fast but it went there and came home, sometimes overloaded to the gills----I don't remember ever hearing of or seeing one that broke a frame with a camper on the back towing a boat.----packing a **** load of tater salad and kfc also.
Back then buyers would not accept the garbage they spew these days. Word would get around and it would not sell. Nowadays something shells out an engine at 150k, oh well it was old anyway.
People buy vehicles in many cases for image these days. Notice the ads on tv, women in a car driving along just smiling, a guy with his marketed big guy pickup pulling a 35' goose neck dressed in his DIY weekend construction gear wearing a hard hat. Not one manufacture lists anything like mileage, stopping distance or turning radius or overall performance anymore. It's about image-what you will look like setting in the seat. Several scenes in one ad just get me. The car parks it's self and brakes for it's self followed by---------- {BMW the Ultimate Driving Machine}---Really who is driving what, when and where. That's not driving.
When I was in 'Nam, the overloading of the Lambretta Tuk-Tuks always amazed us. Working on road reconstruction as part of our Construction Engineer Corp jobs, we got to see them all. They would have to try and get past our roadworks, and that usually caused amusement. One day, a Tuk-Tuk rolled up to where we were road-widening, and it was hauling women workers in from the paddy fields. The driver decided to unload to get past the roadworks, and we watched in amazement (and counted), as no less than 37 women climbed out of, and off the outside, of the Tuk-Tuk!! Admittedly, the Vietnamese women are only small build, but it was amazing to see how many they fitted in! Another time a loaded Tuk-Tuk rolled up, and the driver had managed to fit a full-grown bull into the Tuk-Tuk!! This is a more recent photo, I'm not sure if the ladder-truss metalwork is designed as a frame-strengthening move, or if it's designed to reduce damage from fender-benders!
Main reason why every time I'm at the carwash I hose out inside the frame best I can. Every spring I shove the garden hose in the frame in every single place I can get it and let the water run until it's clean. Takes a good half hour to do but I have zero issues with frame/body rust. Hell every wash job in winter I'll even open up my doors and wash off everything that collects in the bottom of the doors and along the door sills. Hit the inside of the fender wells, spring shackles, inside the bumpers etc. Never have any of my vehicles had the typical (insert brand here) rust.
After a freeze/snow I try to find some standing clean water on the road to barge through, I figure it gets clean water into the same places as the salt was in before.
I was wondering after looking at the driver who appears nonplussed at the situation, could this photo be photoshopped? He appears to just be looking at a traffic light or something similar, really relaxed. I'm not sure I'd be so relaxed. Admittedly, it is a gadawful load, but the driver shows little or no concern. I don't know anything about "adjusting photos" but I was curious...
yes it's a 'chop.
I couldn't be too sure on the above broken chassis on the crew-cab Ford with the camper and trailer - but I can assure you, dual-cab pickups here in Australia suffer continuously from the "broken-chassis" syndrome. Usually as a result of overloading, rough unsealed roads, towing a 'van or trailer - and the companies involved in chassis repair have a steady line of repeat repair business. https://www.google.com/search?q=dua...jIooX2o7f8AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQDA&biw=1903&bih=937
One of my F450's was recalled for a frame brace. Had to disassemble the truck (utility body and pump hoist) so they (Ford) could install plates on the frame.
If it was a photo chop as SK says it was a real good one, the shadows are perfect. That's normally where there's a screw up and it won't match.
Found another picture of it. If that tames your conspiracy theories. I didn't take the picture- its just off the internet and may be a CIA conspiracy to make the american public lay off the KFC, so they will be able to buy F-550's with slide in campers and drive with confidence. Maybe. Who knows.
It appears we all may need to spec double frames on pick ups
Here's some more to put fear in your hearts and get you off the buffet tater salad.
Well that one isn't Chopped!! Just Broken!! Are several 'Option' packages as to GVWR or GCWR on Ton duallies and higher machines these days, IIRC the Dodge Chassis has Six, Ford has at least four, GM ? Not looked in awhile. Also not surprising the idiots overloading or unable to read are still with us!!
I found the same website as CraneOps. https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67991-sd-frame-failure/ The pic he posted is a different truck. Discussion says the owner is a tool salesman and had already broken a F350. It also says that F350/450 pickups have the same frame but the cab/chassis F450 is heavier. Also check out the trailer tongue. Long tongue w/surge brake and not a long extension.
If your the kind of person to load a pickup down like this not much would upset you but who knows.
I know the first gen super duty s (99-07) and most likely till 11 the f250-f350 frames are the same and so is everything else except spacers on the front and different rear springs typically. The cab and chassis are narrower frames I think and are just straight framed, most likely practically the same. I have a f450 frame I could compare to as well but don't see much different. I've had major loads on my f250. 4500# in the bed 28800 total weight with trailer In other 1st gen I've had some major loads all over Kansas, there was a trailer I pulled that put me 30k on a srw f350.
I stand corrective lensed Why can't people haul reasonable loads like this?
You know--there just isn't enough camper on that rig it needs another 4" added.
well, those pictures of the buckled f450 with the enclosed trailer show two different backgrounds so maybe same truck but different locations?
It’s 2 different trucks. First one is all white. Second one is brown on the bottom section.
The story on the other site is that it was the same guy broke 2 different trucks. The white one is an F450 and the tan and white one appears to be an F350.
I guess it is all a conspiracy. Speaking of overload conditions.
Yeah cfherrman, my SD notes On Truck loading at around 5k, Towing was far more and have had near 13T of weight running down road with it. Frame has 24 years of collected abuse but NOT Broken, YET!!
Problem----------pickups have become a pseudo truck/car four door suv that is capable of towing a 35' trailer all the while taking up ten parking spaces that don't belong to them, all the while trying to circumnavigate the CDL issue plus hanging a sign on the side when convenient to use as a tax right off in the business and a personal vehicle at the same time. The manufactures just keep upping the GVWR to beat out the other competition for sales. Public wanting a truck that rides drives like a car that will hall the soccer team plus a 35' trailer full of tater salad for a after game snack. Need a truck-get a real one and the license to go with it. IMO. Get rid of the RHS and get a motel- someone else can make the bed, a lot cheaper than a RSH and no depreciation. TATER Salad in a Real truck.
Read ‘tater salad’ in Ron Whites voice
Blame the dot from making 10,001+ a commerical vehicle
my 10,100 GVW 3500 is not licensed or insured as a commercial vehicle. It's just a pickup.
Should make us ALL proud of the crap the US Builds these days. Nearly all pickups in excess of 3500 or 350 series are legitimately CDL required. Just Not Enforced.
If you are in the USA and using it commercially, I highly suggest you talk to a dot consultant, it can save you thousands later. If you have a CDL, you are required to log that truck.
Just a pickup truck. I would not use that commercially. I have company trucks with DOT #s and equipment and inspections for that stuff.
The DOT had to draw a line in the sand at some point, I don't blame DOT-But they should have dropped it to 9,000 to start with.
As far as I can see online, there's no weight restriction on what you can tow with a regular class 5 license in Alberta. Looks like BC requires an endorsement to pull a trailer over 4,600 kg. Still better than having to learn how to drive a tractor trailer in order to get a CDL to tow a 10,001 lb trailer
Never had these pickup hauling issues till Dodge put that 12 valve in, the chevy and ford were just bystanders. #1 photo--They call him Tater. #2 photo--checking towing capacity
Yea while our licensing system is far from perfect here, i'll take it over the CDL nonsense. Big part I don't agree with is air brakes on a trailer being the deciding factor in a class 1, IMO it should be by weight. You can have someone only at 30,000kg needing a class 1 and someone at like 55000kg on a class 3 because the trailer has electric brakes.
The one that gets me is, the way I read the rules (I might be completely wrong though), you could have two straight trucks that are identical except for one being tandem and the other a single drive axle. The single axle could be driven with a class 5, the tandem needs a class 3. Assuming you have a Q endorsement for air brakes of course.
Down south here in USA I believe states adopt their laws based on federal guidelines. States can have slight variations. VT where I live Class A is any combination of truck & trailer over 26000LBS, or trailer over 10,000 LBS GVWR. Elsewhere, there is an exception if over 10,000LB GVWR trailer, but combined weight not over 26000. You then have endorsements if hazardous cargo, trailer, & fifth wheel. An air brake truck needs air brake endorsement if over 26000, not under 26000LB rated.
Those do follow Fed DOT regs.
Yep very stupid. Also if you register the single axle under 11790kg it doesn't need a CVIP, whereas mandatory on a tandem no matter what. Or the guys with the massive motorhomes and trailer only needing class 5 with air ticket.
Not here, you need air brake endorsement if the truck has air brakes, the weight does not matter at all.
There's a bunch of restrictions on CDL now, it's not like it was 10 years ago. You can take a pickup and trailer there and get a class a, restrictions will be automatic only and tractor trailer restriction. Had a customer awhile back get pulled over pulling a backhoe awhile back, got a ticket for no CDL, was a dually 1 ton and a dually trailer. The guy said they pull those over more than semis due to inexperienced drivers. I missed the boat to easily go from class a several times and now I'm stuck with class time to get it.
Around here on 1-5 I see the dot picking on the pickups and trailers and box trucks way more than semis.
Big surge here is OLD ratty appearance trucks tractor trailers and ill marked Hot Shot truckers. Especially the Latter.
Most places I've been at operated under a Federal Safety Fitness Certificate. Under federal rules we had to run logbooks to drive a SRW 3500HD Chevy pickup since the GVW was over 4,500 kg! Plus they needed an annual CVI.
I have a 14k trailer I can not tow legally without a CDL in my F350. However, I can hook it up to my 2003 nissan pathfinder and have no legal issues.
Exactly, never buy a 1 ton truck again(tagged 10,001+)
No, but a 14,000 rated trailer towed by a 11,999 LB rated pickup is not required CDL. Anything with published manufacturer's tow rating is subject to limits of tow rating.
Willie B, Are you sure about the 10,001 lb trailer and up requiring a cdl in VT? I looked at the cdl manual for the flow chart as i was curious. It looks to me like it's only a class a requirement if the gcwr is 26001 or higher and the trailer is 10,001 or higher.
For business's, if you have a truck 10,001 it requires logging the truck, unless you have exceptions like the 100 mi home base rule, if you have a heavy trailer, unsure of the weight but I think it's 10,001+, it requires logging as well. Most diesel duallys will be over with a 14k trailer irc for cdl
Don't know which one is worse, the CDL debate or the oil debate
Lol my brand of oil is better My source is from a dot consultant that was a hypo for like 20-30 years. It has been awhile since I've talked to him since I'm not working for a place that heavily does log books and compliance.
Its like the wild west around here there isnt much law anything gos. The other day some one hauled a load of aluminum if he had anything left when he got there he must have had a big load because he lost a piece every half mile. I know companys that buy farm tags and pull the stickers off . Most every thing i have tryed to figure out was very hard to interpret and the more people i ask the worse it got but when and if a CDL is needed is pretty clear.
It was pretty nuts about 10 years ago with a ton of regs changing, everyone had a different answer. If you want a correct answer, call dot/hypo or a dot consultant When I bought a trailer I talked to a hypo about the tag on my truck because the consensus of advice from people was the pickup tag had to have the whole load on it, like I had to add 14k to my tag. Called dot, nope just have to have enough tag for the tongue weight and load in the bed, and not the trailer.
Everybody wanting a CDL--I'm trying to get rid of mine. Oil--I like any of it as long as it keeps the parts spinning. The best oil is the used stuff it keeps the shop warm.
I'm a dino guy who will let his CDL expire too. I'll be 67 when that happens. The Dino burns better in the shop heater.
Change your CDL type to type 2, no med card required, you can still drive in state, and is only a med card away from going back to type 1. Only cost you around $20-40 extra each time to renew your license to keep something that will cost 2k-4k to get back
Not in our state. Either you're in or you're out. I can do interstate or intrastate. Right now I am intrastate, and have no desire to go on the road. If I run get anything with my personal pickup and a larger trailer, I will put tonnage on it per Washington's requirements, other than that I am retiring to RSH only.
As I mentioned, It says any trailer rated over 10,000 requires a Class A CDL. Elsewhere, it mentions an exemption if total combined weight rating does not exceed 26000. I'll have to go back to confirm, Total is based only on GVWR truck added to GTWR trailer, not actual scale weight. 13000 LB rated trailer & 14000 rated truck require CDL regardless of their actual weight. Might be hauling empty plastic milk jugs, still need CDL. Yes you can tow a 14000 LB trailer with a 11000LB truck as long as you don't exceed the truck's tow rating without CDL. If laws with exemptions annoy you DO NOT become an electrician.
Rules are the same here, but I've never seen your flow chart. Hard absolute you need class A to tow a 10001 or bigger rated trailer. Elsewhere it exempts if combined rated weight is under 26000.
I talked to a lady who's new Jeep Grand Cherokee was shipped with salad oil in the engine to mitigate pollution if it leaked. She tells me the dealer didn't change the oil & the engine seized.
Lol salad oil? I actually bet it it's any kinda of oil the engine would run for quite a bit. If total tag on your truck and trailer is under 26000, no CDL, but you could still be "commercial" and requires logbook. It's fing stupid rules. If your a small operation don't really worry about it and next truck purchases check the door tag and only buy 10,000 and lower. If your big operation, there's tons of consultants.
Some crazy folks on Youtube tried to see how long an engine would last with just baby oil in the pan. Results were suprising.
Well, that is a 2.2 Toyota, It'll probably run a week with just soapy water
Met the guy my story is from at the fuel station this morning. He said they are wanted to put paperless logs on that 1 ton dually now........
I wish every state had the same laws when it came to trucks and CDLs were the same in every state . Then if some one could print a book with the laws that was clear and easy to understand. Things are so different state to state the second you leave your home state and inter into another they could stop you and give you a ticket for not having a proper CDL and give you several tickets for your vehical not complying to there laws even though back in your home state you are legal.
Yeah it's a bummer but it don't think you can get a ticket if you have a interstate type CDL. I'm for states rights so I actually don't wish for this in particular Kansas is pretty light on this
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/12/a...-of-17000/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ#Echobox=1673241005
Those big meats on the Mafia Wagon are too big for the standard Uhaul basket tie downs. Uhaul has that all well documented, I just crossed the whole country with one of their trailers and it was a fine experience overall.
We had one of those Dodge wagons with a Hemi in it. It was a fast car, and really good road car for long trips. Ours made a quick departure though when our son got his first speeding ticket in it. He was clocked at 110MPH. My wife said that fast car had to go, and she was not letting our son near it again. He got a little 4 cyl car to drive after that episode.
Sounds like something I would have done at that age. My dad has a '68 Camaro with a 400 small block. Plenty fast . My mom hit a deer when I was 17 with her van, late spring. My dad had her drive my truck while her van was being repaired. I complained that I had a job (worked 6 days a week back then) and needed to drive too. So he tossed me the keys to the Camaro. He trusted me with his baby more than he trusted my mom with it. It was a glorious 8 days for a 17 year old boy. I laid rubber all over the county, the envy of all my buddies. Thankfully, I never got caught.
Thing is the cars that were considered fast years ago are dogs compared to todays. The horse power to weight ratio of todays cars is out of sight. The Nissan GTR -0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds. Even this 350Z I owned for a while was way faster than any thing years ago, plus on cruise it got 31 to 32 mpg at 320 hp V6 that would turn 7,000 with a 7 speed automatic.
I have a 2016 Nissan maxima 4 door family car will run run 130+ and not even feel like it. I’ve slowed down since those days but nephew was borrowing it and got caught by his mom at about 105
My wife's 2010 Fusion hits a governor at 105. It was still pulling when it kicked in.
Friend had a Buick Grand National. Speedo (digital) would start flashing at 85 and go no higher. ECM would start cutting spark at 120...lmao Ed
My mother would have laughed and said you better pay up.
That Z I had would stop at 160.
My second car was a really stupid 1970 Challenger with the 340. It went fast in a straight line but turning or stopping was a joke. My mom knew what it was. One day she said let's go to the store for dinner fixings. I'll drive, she said, taking the keys from my hand. I was a little taken aback at this development. She backs out of the driveway, puts it in drive right in front of the house, and two foots it and leaves a huge cloud of tire smoke. I'm over there having kittens Mom Mom ! She looks over and smiles sweetly. "gotcha son" she said. Love you mom.
My M939A2 has top speed of 60 mph on or off road
My bmw 540i6 had a factory top speed of 155, and 4 doors
I don't think I have ever gone over 80 mph on anything I owned ever, I was always afraid and still afraid a tire would pop
I remember you posting you run them down to 1/32. I would be afraid too. lol
I did have an Infiniti I30T that theoretically could have gone quite fast, but it was just a car to me when I needed a car it was for sale. The tires were old then and I did not know their history, don't remember if I had the car long enough to put new tires on it. Plus I was truck driving for a living then and did not want to jeopardize my license in any way.
Tyre technology has moved on just a little since John Boyd Dunlop in the late 19th Century you know ........
Thinking back over 20 years. I can't remember a flat tire on the highway Except one !@#$%^&*()_+ triaxle trailer. Must have been 15 or more spectacular blowouts with it. I've had tires give signal of imminent failure, but I made it home. I've had a few soft in the morning & found some bit of hardware in them, those were slow leaks.
My last flat was 1982, after that it was when I married for the first time.
I had one a couple of summers ago, it was almost flat when I took off from job site and didn't notice until it got squirrely, back end wandering around. It was 110F out that day and at least I found a safe spot to pull off and change it. On my spare even though the same part number of wheel as all the rest, the center hole was slightly undersized, electric impact was fortunately working, got it lined up and watched the metal come off the wheel/axle end/hub like a broaching machine as the nuts sucked it on. I warned the tire guy when I took it in to get fixed, he said it came right off, no problem. I figured it would take a tractor or something to pull it off.
I could care less that these old boats can only go fast in straight lines and have a major drinking problem. That raw, primal rumble is why I became a car guy.
I grew up a car guy. Was within days of having to have my wife drive for our honeymoon from suspended license. Now, I have 3 fancy Italian sports cars, 2 with over 500 hp. Won't go over 30 mph, I drive them all over off road, let others drive them, always full rack. Cars just don't impress me that much any more. And I still have a really sweet garage queen piece of Detroit iron that needs a new home.
I would be happiest with about a 1990 F250 with a 300 I-6 in it. Or a 4BT JWAC if I could get away with it. I've had it with V8 pigs.
There tough to eat, hard to find a frying pan and stove big enough to fricassee one. A properly cooked ribeye is much more impressive and tasty.
The ribeye costs more than a Hemi these days.
Where the he$$ are you shopping? lol
Sounds like most of you better stay with heavy equipment.
My brother had this sweet little F100 4x4 with the 300 I wonder where that one went.
Im planning on getting a 1980-1995 f150-250 with the 300 and hopefully manual 4x4 for my daughter as her first vehicle.
I just found a 94 f150 for a buddy for his Daughter. It is a 302 i like the 300s but the 302 is better for a daily driver. Its smother and has a better rpm range .
I had an 86 f150 with a 302 as my first truck. Then, a couple years later, stepped up to a 96 f150 with a 302. Both trucks had solid engines, thought 15mpg was all either of them would do, no matter how nice you drove them. Both 4WD
Where's the pics?!?!?!
Sounds like my first truck. Last year of the 2nd Gen Ram 1500 with the big 360 in it. I'd get about 600 km to a 96L tank of fuel. It got much worse than that after I lifted it lol.
I got the 360 part, but you lost me on the rest of it. We use freedom units here. All our Mexican built trucks come set up for screaming eagle measurements.
Lets just say 15 mpg stock, about 12 after the lift and tires. I'd have the low fuel light come on after about 4 to 4.5 hours of driving lol.
Here is a photo of the first truck I owned new. Bought it when I graduated from college in spring of 1973. It is a 73, Ford, F150, v8, 4 speed manual, 4wd, and long bed. As I recall I gave $3200.00 new for it. That was a dependable truck. I remember I bought it with Firestone Super All TRaction tires. They had a very open tread, kind of like a tractor. Bet I didn't get 25,000 on that set of tires. They sure would pull in mud though.
Those years of Ford pickups was what really carried Ford for years to come. Simple well constructed vehicle.
Four local guys ordered 1973 F250s same day. None had much for options. All were 351 V8 if I'm not mistaken. All four wheel drive, four speed, 2 had power steering. Those trucks took a beating! All rusted out in 5 years & one of them I put rockers, cab corners door skins & new front fenders. The owner drove it into the late eighties, then it disappeared. He died a couple years ago. A local guy was cleaning up for his daughter. The truck had been parked out of sight on an abandoned paved road. He dug it out & got it running. He ran it around a while on the farm. I don't know where it is now. About as rusty now as it was in 1978.
still drivin my 97 dakota with 346428 on the od last time i looked
First truck a 68 F250 4X4 300 6 cyl. Second truck 76 F250 bought used had troubles (drove into too many shovel buckets? ) Third truck bought new in 77 F250 4X4 351M 8400.00 Can.$ with the canopy . still have it today (in the boneyard )
Back to the Darge and Frod issues with frames. IIRC from my days in HD Trucking Shops, there was a BAD series of years for ALL trucks as to frame issues. Pete, KW, even IH and the off breeds as Dodge GM and Ford. Seems some Enganearing whip decided was FAR too much Spring Roll in Frames from the ever increasing HP of the day so they opted to Thicker, stiffer, more solid rails. And AGAIN, IIRC we then were at about year three or four of those where the stress fracturing began with a endless chain of trucked in REPLACEMENT Rails for the ones we were finding and the ones that had not been caught yet. Freightliners were always too light, could almost raise the LF Tire taking off hard with a full 73,280 against a old 335 or later 400 Cummins, those tended to crack or snap at the rear engine mount or right behind the cab latches regardless and crossmember gussets in a steady parade of flux. Petes and KWs usually just ahead of the Forward Drive axle Front Spring Hanger. Whites no matter the model were like freight shakers and the Off Breeds were anyone's guess where would split. The shop I was in at Feld Rental STL, had some eight or nine full frame changes in a six month span. Following that fiasco trucks came back to Flexing Frames as steel that flexes, at least Some, is less likely to break. When I saw that first Darge Commercial with that Super Stiff Frame to counter that Oft 'stomach-churning' Frame Twist and roll my own stomach rolled, I was wondering when the catastrophic failures would start. Ford followed suit pretty quick on that Dodge band wagon so should be interesting to see how runs out and how many recalled machines will happen.
Well its not technically a overload, but I've never seen a 5th wheel mounted like this. I guess if you had a trailer that dog tracked real bad......
Hope that sheet metal on the flatbed is at least 1/2” thick
Make that a short bed F150 and I'm in! At the quarry we had a bunch of those old Ford with the 300 I-6 engines and despite the efforts of many I don't recall one ever failing. I recall the one driven by the company compute geek he complained about the oil light coming on one time. Came to find out he had not bothered to have the oil changed for some ungoddly amount of time. Norm dropped the pan and cleaned it out of what was oil at one time and installed a new pump to be safe and it was back on the road. About the only thing that ever killed one of those old Fords was the rust eating the body or the frame from the salt on the roads here in NY!
Or at least bolted thru crossmembers!!
Too much torque can do a world of harm. I offer the last 20 years of Ford diesel engines as supporting evidence. 90% of these trucks are driven by young men who equate black with peni$ size. They have to leave a big black cloud behind at every green light, or black deposits on the road. 5% of these trucks are owned by retirees who tow their fifth wheel camper in their annual migration from north to Florida. I'd sure like to see statistics on engine problems with these owners. I expect they have fewer problems.
Local Coal Rollers are always doing something engine wise on these even as quote have no engine issues. Know of one Cummins Dodge has under 100k miles and has had three head gasket failures, is currently sitting at the guys house, dead in the yard. Been a coal roller since second year he owned it, bought used from another moron that abused it.
Don't you wish there was a way to capture the "coal" coming out the pipes of those and use it to heat your house or shop?
No I wish it was legal to shoot the idiots doing it. Was sitting on side of the road with window down taking a call about 8 years ago in my Geo Metro when someone drove up and did it into my car. Somewhere there is a truck someone owns with bullet holes in the bed of the truck and maybe in the cab too. What they don't realize is some people have breathing problems such as asthma, RAD and other such things and to add insult to injury some got these problems from fighting for this country so you can take your penis extension and be able to do just that.
Last week in St. Albert, i was parked in the ground level of a parkade and this black dodge comes by. Mild lift kit and tires sticking out at least 6” past the fenders and loud exhaust. Standard trans so as he moves around the parkade, he slips the clutch and keeps burping the throttle, filling the parkade with black clouds. Then he changed parking stalls a couple times and went forward and back about 6 times before he finally parked but left it running. He had a big decal in the back window that advertised ‘Industrial Diesel Injection’ and alluded to performance tuning. I took note because i vowed never to use that business. What a moron and also the business owner that would let him advertise like that. There’s too much of that here and no enforced regulations to reduce it. Just like fully blacked out tinted windows in cars and pickup trucks. Illegal for windshield, driver and passenger windows but not actively enforced. Well, thats my rant for today- my wife says i’m turning into a cranky old man. I’m not, i’ve just lost patience with morons and idiots
Was asked Why my Cat makes no smoke, told the moron as it does not do anything but waste effort and money spitting fuel out unburned washing cylinders down for a ego flag.
Come on, you aren't going to back out the rack stop and put smoke mirrors on the hood?
It was a long time ago but I had a lifted Dodge straight piped with 5% on the driver and passenger windows, thing was a cop magnet within a year of the tint I had multiple threats to pull my registration and a few tickets for tint and hassled about the lift, etc even though other then tint I was legal. But I never drove like a dbag like so many of these other guys do I bought my current truck with 20% on the passenger and driver windows and it's nice, haven't had a single problem yet and I don't try to roll them down around cops or anything.
One of my extra sons excitedly told me about a system you can buy to dump raw fuel into the exhaust downstream of the emission system. I asked why he would want that? He said: "It makes black smoke!"
Maybe someone needs to modify one of these guy's exhausts to divert that smoke to the inlet for the AC or heater! I mean why should they have to be watching the mirrors to see that smoke pipe it right into the cab so they can fully appreciate it!
Yea! but not everyone has the space and equipment to bury all those bodies
This setup looks pretty puny.
You're welcome
Nothing left 'But the Memory'!!
I . I do
A pickup diesel should not smoke, it doesn't have near the cooling system or exhaust to handle it. The Ford 6.0, 03-07, the vgt turbo will rust up and seize if you drive like a grandma all the time and then you can have over/under boost problems, so if you only tow once a year and don't run the truck it's hard on it.
Having owned 3 of them I would have to say my experience was 180 degrees opposite. We had an egr failure twice in an 04 F350 that we towed our skidsteer with. Blocked off the egr on the 05 F 350 and solved that but had other head/injector issues. My wife (a Grandma) put 286000 on her 05 Excursion with no issues whatsoever before we sold it. We didn't tow with it.
There is a certain attire/look you need that goes with all these rigs producing smoke. #1 A professor dip **** beard #2 One ear with a sparkling stud #3 A hat with some wrench brand logo #4 A tee shirt with a pickup of some sort making a bunch of smoke #5 Dirty hands is a must #6 A pot gut with a shirt one size too small to cover it #7 A pair of dirty jeans #8 Unkept hair growing growing down the back of neck #9 Constantly have your phone out watching vids of rolling coal #10 dressing and acting like a redneck cracker and not knowing what either one of those really is. #11 All of this put together gives you an identity and people will know your IQ.
You got Andy on a few of your points: 1,2,5,7 you are on the mark. 10 He absolutely KNOWS how to be a redneck! No trying to be. He was 3rd place in the nation in Skills USA competition in carpentry. The builder he worked for has retired, closed his business, so Andy built his own cabinet shop & is currently building extreme high end kitchens solo. He has a customer asking him to build a large high end house next summer. Not your typical ignorant redneck blasting out smoke, & his current pickup is a Ford dually with gas engine.
The young guy i worked with had all these but #6 he was skinny. He has a old pickup very loud and smokey . I backed my pickup in the shop one day i ask did you hear it he said just barely i said exactly it dosent have to prove anything.
One I left out. #12---#1 through #11 are all in the recipe for a total Chic magnet, composing the {The Most Interesting Man in the World}.
Looks like it would have been less trouble and safer to stack wood down to the ground than to make those things.
No guts no glory.
Oh no no no no-looks totally safe from this angle. You left out the {no ram} part.
There's a building in NYC that encroaches on the airspace of another property. I wonder if this is a similar situation. Adjoining property owner said no to a foot print.
I think it would have been safer to move the crane over a bit to the ground.
Back in the good Ole days before axel weight limits.
It looks more like a bridge limit issue to me
Floor was Weak!!
When I was a kid dad hauled a td18 around a 58 model on a single axle diamond reo and tandem axle lowboy. I remember him talking about unloading it at the bottom of big hills and driving the dozer to the top then reloading it. Probably on bias tires that should have been used to burn brush piles. That would have been mid 60's to early 70's.
Back then tires would last more than a few years
God hates a coward. LOL
I had a truck like that once. It's in my picture. 1976 Chevy C65 with 427 gas engine & Eaton 5 speed, two speed rear. One hill I went up pretty often, it was essential the gas tank be full. I couldn't figure it out! Last year I used it I was going crazy! It just didn't get fuel. I discovered a second fuel filter in the line between tank & pump. The seal, I feel was a poor design, as was the act of placing it in the suction side. After a number of measures taken, one mechanic theorized the suction pipe in the tank had a pin hole. I had to remove the tank to get to it to check, but it was fine. Final cure was an electric pump near the tank, eliminate the mechanical pump. We had a driveway at bottom of the hill, I'd unload the backhoe & help it up a 20% grade with the pickup. Then I'd drive the backhoe up & load it. That procedure got old by the third time we did it.
Back the trailer up the hill lol
I certainly like the idea. It got hairy once when it quit near the top of said hill. Air brakes on the truck & electric on the trailer. 16000 LB backhoe 13500 LB empty truck Not sure exactly what the trailer weighed. It was an unhappy time to discover the spring brakes weren't enough to hold it. Thank God my son was behind in the pickup. My legs were Jello on the brake pedal by the time he hooked to the front & gave me all the stopping power he could till I backed down the hill. I never got real creative after that. Running out of air is not pleasant on a steep hill! That day I didn't actually run out, I knew much pumping on the brake pedal would bring it on. At this point I don't know reverse gear ratio as compared to 1st. Truck needed ALL the power it had to climb that hill in 1st/low. If it wasn't paved, I wouldn't have the needed traction. I wouldn't even try it when there is any hint of frozen on that road. I guessed 20% grade. I just figured it out .3 miles, it drops about 188 feet. That's average 11%. the pitch varies somewhat so I'll estimate 15% grade at the steepest near the top.
We have streets here in Hermann as that, impossible to impassable when Freeze precip is on.
There is some tonnage
That must have been taken somewhere in a location very sensitive to adverse publicity. Back in those days even scrapers as big as a 657 were generally roaded between jobs, usually at the dead of night, but shhhhh don't tell anyone.......... Heanor Haulage were local-ish to me, their base was about 20 miles away. Their main claim to fame were their home-brewed HHT heavy haul tractor units. A mix of a Scammell Contractor chassis with a DDA 8V92TA engine mated up to a 13spd Fuller box and a 4spd Spicer drop box behind it. To top it off they were equipped with the cab from a (cabover) Volvo F89 tractor unit cut & shut to fit. The licence plate on the truck below dates it to 1976, at least that's when it was first registered. You heard one coming long before you ever saw it.
Needs more headlights.
© Joe Lucas - Prince of Darkness.
Double post......
Nige, the first time I was around 57's I was running a strong straight stacked 9G with a pushin cushin shoving TS-24's and 627's. The company brought in a pair of 57's in pieces, then slowly got them together. When the first one finally pulled in front of me in the borrow pit, and I came up behind him, it just kept getting bigger and bigger. Now my 9 was a beast and it would bellow, so I wore foam ear plugs with ear muffs over top. I tagged him and we started moving, could see the pan easing down and the 9 beginning to grunt. Then he stood on the *** throttle and for real, I thought my 9 quit running. I still 'member leaning over to see if my fan was turning... Now, I could kinda control the pans on the 24's and 27's if we started to get a little whopper jawed, but those 57's, ha, not a chance. if the pan went sideways, the 9 went sideways, I was just along for the ride. In all the times I shoved them, I'm not sure they even knew I was back there. Those 57's were just beasts....
We had a fleet of over 20 657B's on the opencast coal mines back in the late 1970s removing topsoil and subsoil for later reinstatement. I recall they were either double or triple-pushed with 9G's, often referred to as "Growlers". A lot of the 9's weren't even equipped with blades, just push blocks. The rest had cushion blades on them.
Overburden at Augusta Quarry was being cleared with 657s(Unknown series) and D9s in 1982, can relate to the 9s being manhandled A LOT.
Same scrapers. Different job site. Plus a photo of Merriman's own lowboy with a 657B on board outside their shop in Leicester. Takes one back a bit........
Only wish I had taken pictures back in the day, was too busy trying to survive.
Thanks Nige. Those are the look of the Cats I grew up with, pulled levers on, and loved so much. I understand the world has changed, the new iron is faster, stronger, easier to run. But it's not the iron I know. Understand?
Those photos Nige posted reminds me of watching A.J. Jones building I-50 on the east side of Sacramento in 1969. It was a basic river run rock pile because of the floating gold dredges used in the area around 1900. The scrapers were a mixture of green and yellow with pushers.
What I thought was a double post and deleted was actually a link to an article on the Scammell Contractor tractor unit. Heanor Haulage's HHT units get a mention there too. Let me try again - https://heritagemachines.com/commercials/the-scammell-contractor-remembered/
Here's one of Nige driving to the pub in his early years.
From the back that looks big enough to be a 657. I once saw one take a big swath of tarmac from the main street of an English country town like the one in that photo. It was 2am on a Sunday morning and we were moving 6 of them. One lost the drive to the steering pump so the operator did the normal thing and dropped the big Yellow Brake. The worst part was the GET on the box had a stinger setup. Oooooops………..
To be sure that left a mark!!!
It certainly did, and not one that would polish out with T-Cut either......
After reading all 111 pages of this thread I must contribute to its greatness... A few I’ve seen, don’t have pictures though: Driving down I-81, Class A motor home piloted by a couple of blue hairs. Dragging a tow bar and the wiring harness for the lights, no safety chains. The car they had been towing obviously had been lost miles ago. On a 4 lane there was a bunch of smoke and oil on the highway along with a terribly loud ratcheting/grinding noise. They pulled off into a Home Depot parking lot (where I decided I probably needed to go too.) Was a 20’ uhaul truck towing a 2 wheel type car dolly. On the dolly was a Ford escape or similar small SUV, you guessed it, it was AWD with the front tires fastened to the dolly and the rear tires on the ground. The carnage was massive, rear drive shaft and much or the transmission (transfer case?) was on the ground. Lady driving the U haul standing there looking dumbfounded as to what happened. Pulled out of Lowes one day and next to me at the light was a mid-2000s Ford Focus hatchback, towing a 16’ tandem axle trailer with a full lift of Plywood on it (2500lbs). 1 1/4” receiver, no safety chains, lights or trailer brakes of course. I’ve got some of my own, with pics, but I’m not sure if I want to post them. IDK, maybe I will, we’re all friends here right? Lol
I was headed out west from Edmonton a few years back. Looked across the highway at the eastbound side and seen a little Chevy Aveo pulling what I estimated to be a 12 foot tandem enclosed trailer. Chevy rates the Aveo at around 1000 lbs for towing and that trailer empty weighs in at roughly double that. Probably would have burnt that car up had it not been the middle of winter at the time.
From wayyyy back in the early years of Youtube:
That one is a classic.
Nothing like a Rolling **** House out of control.
A friend that works at a Freightliner dealer was on his way to work one Monday morning on I-84. He spots a driveline with yoke attached, stops heaves in the pickup. Gets to work goes into the service department to tell them he had a driveshaft in the back of the company sales pickup. The service manager points to a Cascadia setting in the shop, {I believe it belongs to that truck}. A towing company towed it in for a engine de-rate emission issue. But they didn't remove the driveshaft, exploded the DT12 AMT gearbox and many other parts and pieces. Only $28,000 to fix.
Wow. The lady in my story I can sort of see with the level of ignorance the general public has to automobiles, but anyone in the towing industry should know better.
You would think so-but in this day and age just because someone is called/named as a TECH doesn't mean they are a mechanic. Same with drivers the CDL in ones wallet doesn't mean they are a driver, on paper only.
I went out and looked at a truck on the side of the road once, nope can't fix it here, tow to dealer. Call tow company and have them tow it to Sacramento. Tell them to disconnect the drive shaft I said. Come to find out, they did not disconnect the drive shaft. Tow driver said not necessary. I'll tell you what's necessary, do what you are told and being paid by the hour to do. This one had an Allison and nothing bad ever came of it AFAIK but I was not happy. Allison did a demo of how fast planetary gear sets can go from towing without engine running. When the engine is running, even in neutral the Allison will select different clutch packs still in neutral to be sure the rotating parts speed is under control but without the TCM in control it is a free ride. Roadrangers also get no lube w/o input shaft turning. Bottom line is, tow driver gets paid by the hour. Also I left this one in a wide pull out with tons of room to crawl under or use creeper if necessary.
The AMT's can only be moved a very short distance with driveshaft in-place. Even has a sticker saying remove shaft on the drivers visor. The DT12 complete is now a little over 20K for replacement. When I say short distance-200' very slowly.
Honestly there aren’t many things I feel good about towing wheels down without removing the driveshaft, even if mfg says its ok. This talk of towing and flat towing reminds me of a couple more stories: Back in the early 90s we had a fence contractor building some fence for us on our farm in NC. He was an older black gentleman and was very good at what he did, in fact some of the designs and techniques I use today were ones I learned from him. His equipment consisted of a long bed mid 80s 2wd F150 and a Ford 3600 tractor with a post driver on the back, no trailer. Tractor had a tow bar on the front and he flat towed it everywhere. He’d just leave it running to lube the transmission. Probably not super safe with the weight of it and no brakes but it seemed to work, times were different back in then. Another flat towing story, this one mine, and it almost ended in disaster. When I was in college I didn’t have a trailer. I wanted to bring my trail rig back with me so I could go wheeling with the local 4wd club. Borrowed a 2wheel tow dolly, loaded my ‘79 F-150 on it, hooked up to my F250 and away we went for the 80mi interstate drive back to school. Now mind you, my ‘79 had 36” super swampers, spool in the rear end, super soft suspension, etc. It became really belligerent at highway speeds on the tow dolly, which didn’t have any brakes. Kept it about 55mph where it was happy until I picked up a little speed on a big hill when I wasn’t paying attention. Hill wasn’t super steep but long, probably a couple miles. Tried to slow down and it started wagging much worse, almost to being out of control. Ordinarily if a trailer started wagging I’d apply trailer brakes and it straighten out, but no brakes on the dolly. I knew the only hope was to ‘pull’ it straight so I got into the left lane, dropped down to 4th and put it on the floor. White knuckle grip on the wheel, praying no one pulls out in front of me, 85mph speedo was buried by the time I made it to the bottom. Started up the next grade, everything settled down, got slowed down and took the next exit. Enough of that, took the service road the rest of the way at about 30mph. After that incident I built a tow bar and just flat towed it, worked much better, straight and smooth.
Most everyone around here tows tractors backwards unless the steering axle is smashed. Bad Bob
I got my dump truck bed from a special road district around a town near me. Tail gate has a ball welded on top, guy that worked there used to load the truck and hook the backhoe behind it to work in the 7 mile radius of the town. Had a gooseneck hitch welded on the back of the bucket and raised the front tires up when towing. Took gravel roads and it worked for several years. I get asked all the time about the ball on top of the bed.
That's how I do it when I can, but on a freeway or certain times you just have to drop the line and tow from the front. Only real trouble towing from back is the fairing especially in a windy situation, those can get damaged.
When I was a kid I remember often seeing backhoes backed onto a short trailer behind dump trucks. They would then extend the boom and rest it in the truck bed, or maybe just above the floor of the truck bed. Usually was a short tilt deck pintle hitch trailer behind a S/A dump. Maybe my memory is shot but I swear even seeing NCDOT doing it. Come to think of it that could be why the tailgate of my ‘88 F700 is beat to hell with tooth marks in it, thats where it came from. I guess if you put the bucket all the way to the back close to the pintle it doesn’t swing THAT much when turning.
In my youth there were few excavators in the area. One bought a new Case Construction King, I think a 530 model, a little skipper compared to my 580 Super N. The early ones were very basic gear drive machines with no torque converter. I've seen him & others hook the loader bucket over the tailgate of the truck with front wheels off the ground to move it. I don't remember him owning a trailer. Another guy I know did that many years later with a John Deere 500 hoe, ruined the transmission.
I got a big laugh from some managers at the mine I work at. I'm a trainer there and we were discussing all the issues with the ore truck drivers and I said "The problem isn't the trucks, it's the seat cover." They all looked at me stunned and asked "what would the seat cover have to do with anything?" So I had to explain to them.....there are truck drivers and there are seat covers. We have seat covers.
I like how the one guy just stands there and watches like he's seen that level of stupid before.
Truth be known of just how much damage is done by tow companies, on class eight. Front sump oil pans and plastic bumpers. We've had three pans broke over the years. It's tough to gain enough stinger clearance with a wheel lift and doesn't matter who builds it. I have 5" high ramps for front tires and the custom built forks only have one inch to clear axle going underneath. Once forked the oil pan is only 2 1/4 inches off the stinger, and that's a bunch compared to most towing companies I've talked to, their usually only one inch and less. The other issue having enough types of forks to hook to anything. Hooking to a Kenworth with AG400L and autochains-not going to happen unless you have a proper custom made set of frame forks to grab it by the after frame right near the flap hanger mounts. It's one time you need a old Holmes 750 with sling those can still shine in some instances. A real tow operator isn't a greasy repo bum. In order to be on WSP law enforcement tow calls you have to complete tow operator training coarse.
How many people are left still working in the former category, let alone the latter. To do towing properly, you have to actually have experience and know things, and in this day and age those are precious commodities.
Actually that could be said for everything. But there is also the factor {either you have it or you don't}. One area is surgeons-Quoting my brother who was a surgeon {the reason for laparoscopic surgeries is there are not as many capable cut and slice surgeons now. Most surgeries can be performed quicker by a surgeon using a scalpel but there are believe it or not fewer with the dexterity to handle a scalpel}.
Oh no they don't . . lol . . I ran wreckers for 4 or 5 years, the towing companies are like everybody else, you have a reasonably clean license and show up to work two days in a row you are a professional.
Now we are looping back to the "why automatics/AMTs exist" discussion
Those exist because of dumbing down in society. But the amt does get better fuel mileage.
The AMT's get better mileage than a good driver with a manual?
Absolutely-The trans and engine are programed to keep it in proper torque range, not to mention the amt's shift faster without over fueling on gear changes. 95% of our trucks are amt equipped and a GVW of 100,000 routinely pulling grades of minimum 3% to 7% up to 7 miles long, average mileage 5.2 to 5.5. The best any of our tier 2 Series 60 14L 550's averaged was 4.7 to 5.0. Fact.
One thing the automated manuals can't do is pull our hills here in the winter without the drivers spinning out and needing to be towed. Now, maybe a good driver that knows how to use the manual shift buttons may succeed, but not the new breed. The auto's may allow anything resembling a human to drive down the highway, but I spend my whole winter in the mine towing in every automatic transport that comes in delivering freight and equipment. Even when they put tire chains on they still can't make it. And all the manual trucks drive in under their own power no problem. But again.....that may be because a manual transmission takes someone that remotely needs to know how to drive.
If it's a DT12 you have to go to manual performance mode.
It depends on a lot of factors. We had some manual Cummins trucks in the early 2000s that drove fine in the snow and mud. Then one from the late 2000s that was just terrible. Lose traction and it would just head straight for the governor. Extremely hard to control. I don't know what it was but I chalk it up to a different governor strategy. The Allison automatics that came later were much better in the snow. I think it stacks up a whole lot of factors to how well it works. Just one man's opinion.
Yesterday's entertainment was watching two road drivers trying to back up a snowy ramp to a loading dock. Equipment involved: two freightliners with air rides, unknown transmissions and power dividers, and two humans that weighed approximately 275lb+, sweatpants, 2x to big T shirts, crocs and an apparent preoccupation with whatever was going on in their headsets. When I was a kid truckers used to wear cowboy boots and jeans. Maybe those crocs affect winter performance more than the truck???
My Dodge Dakota did some weird stuff when it got stuck. I never got rammy with it but it would start reving up on its own so there was no way to take off slow.
The early Eaton Auto Shifts that also incorporated a clutch pedal and even some afterward without it had no Manual Mode, unruly in slick conditions. Operated in manual mode with traction control engaged the later amt's work well. Most of what you guys are talking about seems to be early designs which were a turd. But amt's now make up close to 85% of market in truck sales. I'm about to pull the plug and retire after 49 years. I spent a good share of that time rebuilding Eaton manual transmissions. But since the arrival of the Detroit amt--I am now a dinosaur so to speak. I rebuilt one for a farmer 2 years ago, one in 5 years. The DT12 carries a 750 mile warranty plus proprietary information. There are still a lot of manual transmissions out there but in another 5 to 10 years the percentage will drop considerably
You people are talking about trucks weighing twice, or three times what my 28000 LB truck weighs. I too curse the automatic transmission, I'd change to a 5 speed with two speed differential in a moment if I knew how. Still, I like the Allison that it has an unlimited low ratio. I can feed just enough power to make wheels turn. Starting up a steep hill, I give enough to start moving. I'm then able to advance to whatever gear needed to get on up the hill. My son lives 9 miles away, or 18 miles away depending on route. The driveway is at the bottom of the steepest public hill I know of. Leaving that driveway, I immediately start to climb. Parts are 15% grade for half mile. Not a problem without trailer, throw a backhoe behind it gets tricky. The Allison shines here.
Many times I was ginger with the clutch hoping to not leave parts on the ground on some steep hill like that. With the Allison like you say just feed it in until it does what you want. Or mash it to the floor, it does not care. The modern Allisons are even sensitive to the rate of acceleration, that way they know if they can pull the next gear. If the hill is too steep it just will not upshift and that's fine. No hunting back and forth.
Problem there was too much weight on the steer--should have slid the drivers seat back two notches.
And here I thought it was because they kept missing the door into the dock
Really the problem was the jacka$$ that built a dock on the uphill the other was someone didn't get off their *** and clear the ramp. But that's common with 99% of shippers/receivers.
And by the time they realize it has become a problem, cars and trucks have packed the snow into a bobsled glacier fused with the pavement such that dynamite could not remove it. So much easier to plow first, drive later.
One of the few times I drove off. Was to load chip potato's in Mt. Vernon, it was raining as usual at MV, and the lot was a mud hole. One truck ahead of me not long there were three pulled in behind. I watched as the first backed through the mud to the piler, the old farmer and his son climbed up in the trailer looking at the floor and to tape a line down the wall. The old bast**d started yelling at the driver-I couldn't hear what he said from where I was but the driver stood there and took it. Finally-I pulled backed to the piler, same deal both climbed inside-the old facker started in on me about a few small sticks the size of toothpicks {You dumb *** truck driver you like sticks in your potato's!}. I calmly walked climbed in the cab and pulled away. Went back tossed my load locks in and politely said {this is my truck and my trailer--get fack out of my trailer} I drove off. Dispatch was not happy--I found out the next day the same happened to the third truck and he drove off--I also found out it shut the line down at Frito Lay Vancouver. The old bast**d lost his contract.
Correct on the first point. It is a difficult dock, everybody hates it, but it is doable, it just separates the drivers from the steering wheel holders. As to the second point, I am the guy keeping the ramp clear, which is why I was there, and why they got in. The trouble is, the road jockeys have trouble getting into those doors on a sunny day in July, when it is snowing 1-2" an hour, there is going to be snow on the ramp. That where that driver stuff comes in . . .
Of coarse it's doable-anything is. But even the good ones have a hard time at difficult docks the first time around. If they've loaded there before and knew the situation then it's on them. they should have thrown on a set of singles. The South Frisco Fruit and Vegetable terminal never got snow but was hell to back into years ago. built in the 30's when a long trailer was 30' with a short single axle tractor. When trailers reached 48' even the best worked their butt off bumping the dock.
Sitting here in our yard in kc listening to these steering wheel holders slamming **** around and dumping the clutch at half to full throttle leaves no wonder why fleets are going to automatics don’t think I’ve heard or seen one yet that just let the clutch out at idle to get moving
A high percentage of our company drivers can't drive a manual. And the ones who did are so rusty-real sad.
Were you in Walla Walla-{CO} that is normal around here.
I tapped the throttle ever so slightly when taking off empty in dad's truck one time and I got in **** over that lol. Haven't done it since.
I learned the hard way on someone's else money, the rigs driveshaft went through a 90 HP box and was really easy to break, which I did. Never used the throttle after that to take off. Had a guy that had a class a CDL from a school in Miami, he drove it like a car with throttling to take off, you would even hear the engine rev down when the clutch got fully engaged. I told him to stop and to never use the throttle and he said it would die (lol 300 HP l10). So I said try it and the engine didn't die. That guy couldn't also back a pickup with a trailer, not sure how he got his class a.
Nope, just cruising around town watching a really light steer axle and keeping my distance....
that delicate balance....to be close enough to see the show and far enough away to NOT get any on you!
TS, one doesn't hear much about the SF produce market anymore, especially on this site! I was there too once about 50 years ago and that was enough for me.
I've walked to the garage late at night in Crocs. Great way to end up on your a$s.
Only people that would know about SFT would be a produce hustler. That was just one in many bad places to go. Salinas is a story unto it's self. Remember that dump called Lasley's in San Leandro-pig sty for a truck stop.
They come to the plant like that. Lay out their tarps on their wood floor trailers, and get their wife to hold the tarp and expect you to hold the bucket over their body. Brand new pickups wanting you to put a full bucket from a 110 Volvo loader on them. Trying to explain that it won't work.
Last I knew at the quarry they would not even consider a pick-up truck. Back in the day we had some good operators who would load them with a 988B, just carefully poke the corner of the bucket in the pile and sprinkle it in the pick-ups. Other times they would also allow the customer to shovel the stone in by hand! Don't think the safety people would like to see that these days!
I used to have to load pickups all the time. The best were the guys with the little Nissans and such, loading them with a Komatsu WA500. They would keep telling you to drop more until the rims were squashed into the tires and the bumper 6" off the ground. Too many guys watching Ford and Chevy commercials I guess.
Our local places will load a pickup, they charge a good amount for the use of the loader though. Also they do not guarantee any weight because the loader bucket is wider than 8' so a lot spills off the back onto the ground and gets pushed back in the pile. You cross the scale and you pay for whatever landed in your truck bed. You have to sweep off your bumper and stuff.
The biggest local quarry, Wallingford Crushed Stone, play it another way. They act like they are interested in my old truck I believe the only thing they are concerned with is legal payload. I'm happy to play along. I don't want to be overweight either. My father always said "Go often & go light". In his case he was driving trucks rated for two tons belonged to the Town of Danby. They were a matched pair of Fords converted to four wheel drive by Marmon Herrington. I'm still trying to figure out the year. Pictures are hard to find, my father worked for the town in 1940, then 1946. WCS will happily send me out 800 lbs under, but never 1 LB over. I have never taken it up with them except to say "you were a little light last load. I believe the loader has a scale & I ask for 7 tons. Former operator was within 20 LBS, "new operator" is often light. My truck has a 14' long loadbed, it'll carry a full 5 yard bucket. I still wonder about the nuisance factor of a small truck.
Where I get gravel or sand is the local green house. The use a tractor with a 1/3 yard bucket, easy peezy. Biggest load I put on my f250 was 1.3ish yards of mason sand or 4500# I drove appropriately for the 5-6 miles home.
The guy I worked for when I was a kid had never heard that saying . . . closer to "If it fits it ships"
This is at our yard where we sell mulch….
And I love these a tiny bit more than a chipper truck to load….
How do you like their materials? I have a job in Mt Holly scheduled for later this year and will likely end up using material from them. I'll need to look at the jobsite again before I order but I'll likely need some sort of base material, and a 1" or so surface gravel. Their website doesn't list their products with any detail so I'll need to call to find out what they offer.
The guy that runs the asphalt plant loader is responsible for everything in the yard. Feed the plant, clean the dust bins, push up the stock piles, load the trucks, sometimes do something with the forks. If they are mixing a lot, the guy on the wash plant will shut down and look after loading trucks so Chris can feed the plant. He is a master at load weight. No scale in the loader. Whatever material you want, and whatever weight he gets it almost right on. Even if he swaps buckets (he has a seperate bucket for dirty material so as not to contaminate asphalt agg. And a tooth bucket for loading over in the shale pit. Anyway years of praise have gone to his head, and after causing too much trouble for the mixer man and scale man, and being a real jerk to the truckers, they had a meeting with him about his tude, and he told them to go square flyin. I told him, he's crazy, cause no one is going to cater to him like this outfit did.
The brown bottle didn't have anything to do with it did it?
It's all Calcium Carbonate, (limestone). Buy bigger than you need, the corners get knocked off as it compresses. Working from memory, they have: blasted ledge, 2'? 6" 2-1/2" 1-3/4 drainage stone 3/4" 1/4" Winter sand must be a bit smaller than 1/4. land lime. (powder) Then they have several grades of pack mix containing all sizes under a specified size. Pike a bit south of WCS has most of what WCH has plus a product screened from top gravel above the bedrock. Fuller, 5 miles south of WDS has the screened I like for my driveway & neighbors. It is rounded stone with a small amount of fines. I like the look of it on a driveway & you walk across it with little powder making mud on your shoes. The limestone constantly crushes into chalk.
As to Produce and Salinas, made ONE set of runs to CA delivered to Grocer Chain outside LA, ran N thru the valley to pickup Fresh Fruit in a divider equipped trailer, topped off with Lettuce and always a Tattle Tale in the back. First run did not know outbound load was Slip Sheeted floor load consumer sized cartons Kaukauna Club Cheese, Jerks. Got to LA, raised door at Dock, UNION Towmotor operator looked and stated would drop pallets where I had to cross load to offload, NO LUMPERS allowed inside yard. Took me most of the day. Deposited the Slip sheet in the spotless clean warehouse floor pulled off and closed doors to dock worker yelling take my trash, never looked back. Picked up all manner of fruit in large wrapped skids to Salinas, sat for 12 Frickin hours to get my top off of Vacuum Cooled Lettuce. That load came back to STL Produce Row which as most was built in 20s and 30s for Rail Deliveries where trucks took over. Jacking a 45' into docks sucked where that is now gone as could not do the later 48 and 53 footers. Most of the brokers lost to the grocer chains buying direct and just closed. Got my load against the dock, old Jew owner pulled Tattle tale(Was getting ENTIRE Load) threw a fit as to temps wrong for mixed load, showe him details of Load Schedule that SPECIFIED the return temp on Reefer. He threw a LOUDER fit, so I snatched the load papers, and with him complaining started to pull off from dock. Asked what I was doing, explained if he refused to sign and pay would be street selling and he could Pizz up Rope. Another round of Yelling and I had doors closed, he backed off said would sign but NOT without complaining of my attitude. Saw boss that afternoon, said was all he could do NOT to laugh at the old Jew, HE was the one specified the temp and reminded him of that. Was the Boss that told me he might do that and how to combat. Two following trips and I was done, was working for Feld Rental directly after that last run. Five weeks of that was plenty for Me.
No, he's just like his dad. He worked here to. Real good operator, but couldn't work with anyone because everyone else is stupid.
I'm surprised you lasted five weeks, that crap woulda been one and done for me, although I had to bite my tongue several times when I was leather assin', anything to get the load off when dealing with some self important ******* in charge of recieving but that would be my last trip to that barn.
Funny--there's a father son pair just like that working here. Both have been kicked out shipping/receiving terminals.
Great, that is very helpful. Thanks
Produce can be the worst without a doubt. Normally the only way to get any good loads is stick it out. The good loads were for grocery chains like Safeway. You might have three pickups but it's always one drop. The day's of independent produce brokers has been pretty well over with for a while now. But truthfully trucking is all crap now. A great way to go broke if that's a persons goal. Only the big companies can survive.
A friend used to deliver to GM plants, hurry up and wait, say something, yer screwed. When a forklift operator got him unloaded in a reasonable time, he would slip him a $25 Home Depot gift card....amazing how fast he got unloaded when word got out . Ed
Till word gets out then other drivers trying to do the same, then it leads to who is paying the highest amount. Give a mouse a cookie...
Had ONE and only ONE load from STL to NYC, had to drop on the docks warehousing for a shipment to US Military by Boat 1977. Get to dock, another of those you can see it from The roadway but takes 20 minutes to bob and weave thru bad directions to get there. “Gates open 24/7” standard lie, gates licked, watchman in a shack gives a finger when call out to the three inside. One stands fumbles around, gets to gate is hateful. $50 to get let inside, another $50 to tell longshoreman boss I am there come next day. Will show where to park, opens gas and follow a golf cart along a line of old warehousing. Get to site he pulls out if way has me back in. Said another $50 and locks don’t get broke, plus $50 get to keep tires on trailer. So, $200 down before get offloaded next morning trucks sitting down a ways no outer tires on budds, a second one on cribbing NO tires. Longshoreman foreskin steps up, need $200 of will not unload, down $400 on a load that makes MAYBE $200 clear. Pay it and get the hell gone. Picked up some manufactured crap in New Jersey paid next to nothing to get home.
Now you know why I don't travel east of the Rocky Mountains.
Before gave up on trucking then I refused to cross from IL east. Dealt with grain hauls and such around St Louis even dealt with private fleet service out to Effingham, would not go further save on vacation or to visit relatives.
That by design across the board
I used to haul a lot of palletized flour loads from the Buffalo rail to a price chopper grocery warehouse in Albany, it was a perfect turn, most miles you could get in the old 10 hours of driving regs. and sleep in my own bed at the end of the day. The only problem was once you bumped the dock you had to deal with lumpers. After one visit and a lot of waiting I decided to grease the guy $5, holy crap after 2 more visits them cats would come running for that $5, never had to wait there again. I live in NY and absolutely refused to go to NYC..
I watched this guy hauling stumps off a job, he had a late 70's dump, and I have no idea the vintage of the skid steer. The whole thing was pretty comical except for the part where he is running down a state highway 3 or 4 miles . . . I am pretty sure he put a couple more buckets on after I took the pic
Normal practice around here, not right but normal.
If some is good, then more is better, so all you can handle is just about right.
Same practice around here, but change it up to Tandem L9000s or old Stars, brush bark and roots hanging from all four sides and loaded DEEP on mud or stumps or all the above!!
Back when I was a bunch younger and more impressionable, the outfit I got started at was pretty flexible with loaded weights. If you hauled an extra 5 ton on each load at the end of the day you had a free load! The heaviest load I remember was 105,000 on a Mack R model tri axle. (East coast, legal for like 75k or so, maybe 80 in NJ) They had just gotten a new loader that had the load cells in the boom. We were hauling pond silt to a pit a few miles down the road, and the boss's son in law and I got into a competition to see wo could get the most on the truck. The last two loads were around that 105k mark, which was all we could stuff into the bodies. That pretty much ended the competition because we both scared ourselves driving those loads down the road. I still remember that little Mack straining to make 40mph as it wallowed down the road . . .
Sound like the old timers talking about the homercity 500 first and last load was 105 or better then 80 or 90 rest of the day on a triaxle coal bucket the heaviest I ever heard of was from a old guy at coonies cleaning plant at 148000 them coal bed where huge if the 148 is totally time is left to history
The heaviest load I heard of while I worked there was a dump trailer that came in at 160k. Just a regular Mack CH tractor and a tri axle trailer. Not a particularly heavy spec rig. That's what I heard of , but I wasn't anywhere very high on the totem pole at 19 or 20, so who knows what else went on . . lol
The deflection in the trailer ....
Komatsu D-355??
41b Allis
Wow! Here's a pic of my 72 in front of a 41B about 40 years ago.
And that looks to be a HALF ton
So many questions What kind of hitch? What kind of truck usually hauls one of these? How much does it weigh? Why would a presumably high dollar boat/move job trickle down to the kind of person who would rent a uhaul pickup to do it?
And..... How tall is that boat ?? !
Why would a presumably high dollar boat/move job trickle down to the kind of person who would rent a uhaul pickup to do it? He spent all his money on his tesla, his boat & his girlfriend's condo, not to mention his guilt gifts to his wife. Barely was he able to swing the $19.95 for the truck rental. Or he solicited bids to move his boat & hired lowest bid.
Exactly
That is typical reaction to impulse buying. Boat first then think about how to move it.
It is legal, 13'. It isn't OUR fault you put it on a trailer and then hit an overpass...
I see that kind of stuff pretty regularly where I am. This is lake country, and every Chicago/Milwaukee suburban flatlander is up here all summer with their boat. The best are the Land Rover or similar luxe SUV's towing boats like that. Makes that F150 look like a semi .....
That trailer looks it may an old Miller and Smith??? There were several in the area when I was breaking in. The neck wasn't long enough for a jeep. I don't know what there were rated, but there were stout trailers. D-9s, 637s, it didn't matter. At the time, there were only two field DOT officers for the entire state of New Mexico, so there wasn't much chance of getting stopped.
170k+ gross to California……….
It's a 104 Wolverine bridge layer.... without it's bridge. Ukraine is supposed to be getting some of them along with the M1. See here : https://www.military-today.com/engineering/m104_wolverine.htm#:~:text=The M104 Wolverine armored bridgelayer is designed to,the German MAN Mobile Bridges (now Krauss-Maffei Wegmann) .
Well, that one ain’t got an engine
And I’m not real sure how he’s gonna get out there on only 8 axles but who knows
He's hauling for the government ...
No it’s an independent contract hauler
.... Who is hauling for the government ...
Lots of carriers contract to haul for the government. Most of the time it’s through a broker, Landstar, Nationwide logistics, etc. Typically if it’s a heavy haul it’ll be a smaller specialized company. We don’t ship many M1 platforms but the recent ones have been hauled by owner ops.
Never had one come in or go out on less than 11 axles though lol
I'd guess actual weight never made it down to driver level. The first chicken coop will bring him up to date.
Amazing to those of us on the other side of The Pond........ The STGO 3 plate on this truck permits up to 330k pounds GCW provided there are a minimum of 6 axles between truck & lowboy, with a max weight on any individual axle of 27.5k pounds. It looks like this combination has at least 8 if there are 3 on the trailer.
"Reduce Speed Now" - you probably would if you saw this coming in the opposite direction......!!
Nige not saying these trucks are this but how much weight do they haul with a tractor with 1 drive and 1 tag or pusher? Also how much fuel is saved by not running a twin screw?
Someone find a wider higher load than this combined other than a ship.
Ohhh, I've got the picture here somewhere....
This one has a blue tow truck pulling it....
66 narrow nose?
Good eye. He's been everywhere.
Doug it's the same max GCW irrespective of whether the tractor is a 6x2 or a 6x4 - 44 tonnes or 97k pounds when a 3-axle tractor is coupled to a 3-axle trailer.. Max axle weights are 8.5 tonnes for a non-driven axle or 10.5 tonnes for a driven axle. That being the case the 6x4 has a little more flexibility regarding individual axle weights but that will still not affect the total GCW. Fuel consumption-wise 6x2 are apparently somewhere between 2.5-3.5% more economical on fuel than their 6x4 brothers all other things being equal. These days it's common to see a lift-up axle on the tractor and maybe 2 axles on the trailer, so a lot of difference in tyre wear when running empty.
Uh--that doesn't count, it only moves one load on a short non public road.
I dont under stand why there isnt more single drive tag axle trucks here. Now with computers and air bags the truck could regulate the weight on the drive axle for better traction.
Not here in the US. They will drive their Prius straight into it then try to sue.
By axle weight does not really change tag, pusher or driver so long as suspension is rated for that weight. For big loads adding a two or three axle Geep and Converter dolly at ends of trailer to spread more weight across more axles is the only option.
Or reduce the need for more axles by having more sensible (i.e. higher) axle weights for big loads...? Over here STGO regs permit up to 12.5 tonnes per axle compared to the 10.5 limit to which a regular truck would have to comply. EDIT: To expand a bit more on that thinking it's a combination of speed and weight that potentially can destroy highways. I recall years ago we had some "100-ton capacity" trailers, but when you read the data plate it was 100 tons @ a maximum of 5 mph, but only 50 tons above that. Oversize/overweight loads generally travel at lower speeds so why not have an option that would permit them a higher axle weight limit (at a certain maximum speed. 40 mph maybe.?) instead of having to add dozens of extra axles.?
I was thinking if you had a single drive axle and it was slick or a ruff parking lot someone that know what they were doing could put more weight on the drive and get the job done but if it was computer controled when the drives lost traction it would start adjusting air bags till every thing was ok then when speed was regained the axles could go back to haveing the same weight on them. It looks like there would be money saved not running to drive axles .Wear and tear less moving parts cheaper truck and fuel savings .
Yes all the rules are necessary.
Notice C.O. the above are on public roads. All by the rules set forth in Over Load of the Day thread.
I'm going to break the rules again- this one's offroad! The guy waving to speed up is a hoot- 2-300,000lbs and we're going to start grabbing gears and drag that goldhofer over the ridge and keep it from jacknifing. Sure. But the best is the guy in the back truck who bails when it starts to get ugly, then hops back in afterwards. It always makes me chuckle.
Biggest issue is old county/city bridges. Extra axles have to be added to spread the weight. The issue expressed below by OxBo.
Just to make you happy C.O. the rule breaker. Here's a ship being moved by OxBo.
Makes sense to me
That dude put himself in the absolute worst spot. Its gone, bro. Just get out of the line of fire and watch the show. Nothing you can do at that point.
That truck would have most likely left the Finning shop in Fort MacKay, travelled a couple kilometers north on Hwy 63, turned onto the Albian Sands access road, then onto the East Athabasca Hwy. They had just turned off the East Athabasca Highway when the video started. Truck was probably headed to Kearl. Stuff like this gets moved daily up the highway, nothing special to see after being there the first couple weeks.
Yeah, Not the get it going so much a problem, but loss of friction and inability to stop problem.
Radial tires are a lot better than the old bias plies. I can remember when 400 hp could boil off a set of drivers on a hot day. How much hp could a single drive axle handle on a hot sunny day without cutting tire life more than, say, 10%?
Not to mention how hard it would be on the axle to put the full power and torque of a large engine into it. At least with tandems or tridrives you're splitting all that torque across multiple axles.
This weeks contractor special-for the heavy lifts.
I dont know what kind of loads or HP they have in other countries but they are running alot of single drives and tag or pushers.
This guy passed me weaving through the traffic like a sedan in Tacoma. Looks to me like that 40 ton Cat is a weee bit off center. She has a bit of a list. I wonder if that was the first or the 5th attempt to get it centered on the trailer? I am going with 1 and done. "that's not going anywhere" LOL.
In a hurry have schedule to keep and emergency dirt to move.
that covers driving like a jackwagon too.
LH front suspension a bit down on nitrogen would be my first guess.
I got a good look and it was hanging a bit more tire on the right.
Pretty sweet gin truck
That would be handy to help me tip up a 30 foot flag pole in my front yard
Does this qualify as an Overload of the Day?
Good to see they have a pusher horse on the back. d.d.
I thought it might be the front of a pusher team but that horse has no collar or any rigging, just a saddle it appears. Never seen or heard of a horse pusher team in real life.
Good eye DD, I thought it was just a spare........
I reckon that fella on the Roit has had a bit of an overload on his backside. The rest of them dandies have baby smooth hands.
Driver has accelerator pedal in his left hand.
Based on that Saddle, may be that ?Peace? or other officer with the square cap on.
Out in the dirt and I bet no hoisting certificates either.
That's the early Link Belt Ricky Bobby John model.
I wonder if that’s for sale, asking for a friend.
No it is just a photo of a Coleman re-cabbed with a Ford cab with a Coleman steer drive axles I found on the web. Sorry.
Been trying to put a caption to this. I’m thinkin “log book?”
Darn. I had big plans. I mean my friend had big plans.
Anything with Coleman drive gear is tough to find and collectable to the right person.
First ever DOT cop.
Doc appointment for elbows this morning Passed this yahoo, door swinging free one Whole 4” strap attaching that Conex almost to that refugee of a salvage lot trailer on I70 headed east. Columbia MO
your dashboard is dusty.
That is early day DOT weigh cop, fourth mule lost a left rear shoe. Out of compliance. Coop in the back ground, trying to figure what to charge on toll road. They had those back then.
Had to pay to grade mud even then!!
Trailer above is a sliding axle system, allows the trailer bed to become a ramp to slide on or off those loads. Had a winch on nose, NOT connected to Conex, just that single strap.
They deliver those rental containers all the time.Who are we to question their professionalism?
It got a tire, and you can see broken boards under the steers in the second picture. I would guess it weighs somewhere around 12-15,000. Its a old hyster "karry krane" .
That's a big crane'r.
Its for sale - I was impressed with the ratchet strap tie down methods. I've never run a karry krane, but we used to have two old hyster forklifts about the same age as that- and they were indestructible. Flathead continentals. One was clutch and the other was a automatic. The clutch one had a three speed and would go way faster than you should ever drive one.
Any forklift steer is the devil. I borrowed my friend's trailer to move Luigi, before I went to work for this outfit and put on the apitong deck. That trailer can take a forklift. I had some 2x6 steel channel and ripped some boards to fill them in, to bridge the frames on the borrowed trailer.
We had a well known local guy get killed that way. Loaded a forklift on a deckover and when he tightened a binder, a tire broke through the deck and it tipped over on him.
That's about a Flintstone POS. Must be the one that killed Fred and Barny. Which caused me to pause, and look at some photos I posted under my {Old Crawler} thread. Second to last photo on the dock in the back ground is one of those Hyster "Karry Kranes". Those photos were taken in 1956 and puts that tricycled POS in the late 40's. Steve a friend of mine lost his uncle when a old Gerlinger tricycle pile rolled over throwing him off, the mast crushed his head.
Gonna Say the Tongue weight on trailer for that Crane MIGHT be pretty Excessive!!
Its always sad when people get killed in slow rollovers. Tricycle anything can be dangerous in the wrong conditions
row crop tractor anywhere but a flat ditch irrigated field.
Rolled in for tire change on steer axle… Got the tire off and the driver is dicking around in the cab with no jack stands underneath… Accidents waiting to happen here, ”but this is how we always done it, never had a problem before”
Man have heard that A LOT over the years, until I do something have always done and get told IS WRONG yet they do exactly the same.
^ I always say it works till it doesn't. Did anyone notice that they changed out the trailer on the carry crane in the last pic?
Thought was different, was too busy Laughing to see clearly
Probably legal... 1.5M views · 10K reactions | Tractor pulls tractor trailer #cars #passiononmycar #funnyvideos #trend #viralreels | Passion on My car Tractor pulls tractor trailer #cars #passiononmycar #funnyvideos #trend #viralreels www.facebook.com
That first carry crane trailer looked like about a 7000# GWR,the second trailer looks like a 12000# GWR.It still might be a bit lite for the load.
Yeah the first trailer needed more air in the tires
I kept watching that. My guess is all the drivelines are in the dump truck bed.
Intermediate shafts were removed, except for the dump. Too hard to get to with Hendrickson suspension so front input was removed. I know a guy that drove for Dallas Mavis, he had a a stack of new RL Macks come loose on Donner Pass years ago, totaled three all at once. The axle saddle on the pull tractor broke. That's back when RL's were still built in California.
Appears a Six up front, a Seven on the back. JUST a shade heavy. Around 80/85 ON the trailer!!
I live on a very steep hill in CT same road as Richie Brothers auctions. The equipment being towed with “professional haulers” is sickening. I see plenty of 4500/450 5500/550 gooseneck with now 30-40ft trailers towing WAY more than they should. Now I’m seeing 2500/250 pickups with airbags and goosenecks and same thing. Drivers don’t speak English. And they either get to my driveway and breakdown or the other way and are broke down all with plates from 1/2 a country away. Amazing what qualifies for “under CDL.”
I need to find my photos of our Oshkosh/Goldhofer setups from Angola back in the day. They were used for moving everything but the motor scrapers from our topsoil removal fleets fleets. Those boys would regularly put two D9G/H tractors on one trailer, although to be fair they only had cushion blades and push blocks rather than full-size blades and rippers. Then they wondered why they had so many tyre problems.....!!
I believe those are both 7’s. D7E’s, the air cleaner is the giveaway
My WAG one D8 & one D9. Bad Bob
That poor clutch in that old truck
Just pick a lower hole
Lol! Now a days 650hp and double ceramic disk clutches are the norm. Back then you were lucky to have 250 HP and a couple of back to back 4 speeds and a single dish clutch. Those boys got it done. Terrain also helps. Driving across flat ground is way easier then lugging up hillside fully loaded.
Last time I did that she hit me
My guess on the dozers is: a d7(4 cyl eng) and a d8(6 cyl) probably each a high horse by the air cleaners
truck is putting out smoke signals. "send help" "getting mauled by angry felines"
7 & 8
Truck looks like a 50's international probably with a two stroke
Might have to demote you to Truck hopper, give away is track rollers D7 have 6, D8 have 7 and D9 have 7. Bad Bob
That's ok I had several demotions in my life one more for good measure.
I don't know why everyone is so worked up, the tires aren't even squating . . .
I really don't care-need to stack a 6 between the two for good measure.
At least it's stroke'n and not Cummin, give it a minute it will blow it's load.
I clicked on the picture and it said old mack truck
B 81 mack
As Petepilot stated. It is a B-80 series Mack truck. Could be an "81", (Mack engine) or "83", (Cummins engine) and probably a 5&4 "Quadraplex" transmission on heavy Mack Camelback suspension. Drive axles are at least 44K and appears to be a large Braden, or Ramsey cable winch in back of the cab. Definitely a workhorse in it's day.
I have another photo from rear angle only this one is jeep equipped
How often was that done, I wonder? Never seen it before but seems like a logical idea.
Guess they were not confident in their lowbed driver?
Look at the tires, trailer is under loaded
A normal load for that rig would be 200,000 GVW.
that 9 above is the vintage that dad and Calvin used on the logging roads. They had a pair of 955's to remove the blade and arms, Layman did not have a big enough lowboy for the 9 put together and the mountain roads were not all that good for the width.
Man, the two dozers on one trailer doesn't bother me a bit, but this has to be one of the sketchiest things I have seen. I don't think you could pay me enough to drive that dozer onto those logs . . .
Layman Mill, Naches.
It required a real truck driver to pull that kind of weight with existing equipment in those days. The Mack transmissions of the day of those pulling units were of the single countershaft design and would not withstand the torque modern diesel engines output. Many gears, and judicious use of the throttle pedal was required to allow parts to hold up. Many of the drivelines in those older trucks were no larger than a 1710 series either.
Looks like no ROPS either.
And cheese blocks on the log bunks. I have a book around here somewhere of logging railroads and it was amazing what all they hauled and where they put tracks in. Bad Bob
What lowbed? Who wants to spend the money when this works just as well. You can drive all over the woods here in the PAC NW and see browlogs (now rotting away) with a pile of dirt for a ramp to load and unload against.
I built a ramp up on Raven Roost off the Longmire road about 43 years ago. I want to hike in there and see what's left. It would probably still be there if I used tamarack logs, but those were the best firewood
Your tamarack almost the same animal as eastern larch, same genus, let's call 'em kissin' cousins. The amish around here use larch for pole buildings apparently good for ground contact, know 2 guys that used them when treated 6x6 was priced out of control, both buildings are on good gravel ground, curious how well they hold up. Neighbors had a bunch of larch and hemlock logged out last year and I scored some of the tops. The larch will be used in the sugar house next spring, plenty of hardwoods here in the east for burning in the house.
Truck looks fine lol If it fits it ships
From the looks of the side panels of the dodge and the tak, depth perception isn't his strong suit.
That little Kubota is cute,it would be handy for scratching around in the back yard.
It could hang around a big hoe and clean the tracks and bucket when they got gunked up, like a remora hanging around the wale sharks.
Might be also great for a hobby garden for flowers.
My wife has wanted one to play in the flower beds for years. Every time we see one, she is on a rant for the next hour about how useful a “garden hoe“ would be. Cam
Just watched a YouTube with a trailer loaded like that. Every time it went over a bump, another tire was killed. Seems like the fenders had a bead/ridge or something that ate the tire when everything compressed.
I find my 1.8T mini ex to be a very useful size.
This is the second truck in two months that wandered out in the sand at Ocean shores. Too much truck for the brain power. https://www.facebook.com/groups/oceanshores/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT The first one was from Dollar General. Fellas you don't need to drive to China to pick up the junk. The container ships deliver.
I live outside Montesano (25 miles to OS) so the wife and I take the dog to the beach every couple of weeks. This one goes way beyond stupid.
We have a lot out there we used to camp at. It will be for sale soon enough.
We retired from Alaska and bought a place on SR 107 about 1/2 way between Monte and Artic. Really like it here.
*** is a bigtruck doing out in the surf? Must be some dumbass stole it and beached it or some other dumbass didn't set his brakes. Upon further reflection how the hell isn't that wrecker sinking as well? You fellers have some really good sand out west.
it is a designated highway out there. The road goes out there and some dumbases just follow their nose. My darling wife got stuck out there in my 2wd drive truck once. She wants to help with driving, but did not put her foot into it when instructed. Oops. They have a finger of clay laid down to the edge of the beach, but where the storms and waves scour it, there is nothing but sand. You have to hit it hard to get across the dry sand to the hard pack.
What's wrong with that? Looks to be a normal farm repair.
That's impressive. They had to have dropped something on it, or dropped if off a truck. Skid steers don't have enough hydraulic horsepower to hurt themselves.
The right operater can do anything.
I'd guess they did it over and over again, I just can't imagine a farmer doing that whole repair in one shot.
my beer, please hold it sir.
That particular model had some problems in that area, the parts guy showed me (2) different patch kits sold by the OEM. I saw one that had 2 pieces of 3/4" re-bar bent and welded around that joint. Never have I seen that much fish plate though.
I saw a classic case of trying to do real truck work with a pickup today. Sorry I have no picture as they were broke down in the left turn lane at the top of Muck Creek hill on highway 7. Hood is up on a ford 250, with a heaping load of dirt in a 14K dump trailer. As I blaze by I can see some smoke or steam, and the driver is over off the road to my right on the phone. Sure enough there is a dark streak in the right lane ascending, could be coolant, could be trans fluid, maybe both. I know for sure it was going to cost way more than hiring a real truck ( I was in the L9000 dump truck )
Not so much these days, but back when, Muck Creek hill ate a lot of vehicles both directions up and down. These days, you need to be short some brain cells to have issues.
I hooked the 5th wheel to my truck and introduced my motorhome friend to real towing, and that hill was the first place we went. He has a gasser V-10 Class A and tows a Subaru behind it, all within spec. He says it is screaming up hills and no conversation is possible, etc. He is beat after 350 miles of travel. I put him in the seat and off we went, and climbed Muck creek at about 17K GVW in 5th gear and 2000 rpm, conversation at normal levels and EGT about 1200. He had no idea it could be like that Later I showed him the exhaust brake on the way back down. The Ford/3406B with the excavator behind it is knocked down to 8th/7th and 35~33 or so. It is what it is. I have no pyro so I keep some pedal available and never have it wooded. They are going to have night closures next week around the 304th area and will be making a big mess of 7 all summer, I hear.
Highest I've gone in my f250 was 28800, and I didn't have my engine fan.
Super Boom... not so much. Maybe super weak boom is more accurate. New Holland used to make a lot of stuff with formed steel rather than heavier structural sections. The boom is obviously a weak point. There's a reason you never saw older NH skid steers on construction or even landscaping jobs. They were made for Ag applications.
What's pulling the boat?
That silver sedan? A Porsche maybe?
Car would be squatting
I know of an owner of an equipment rental business on Long Island NY. Rented a skid steer, got a call: "Come get it. It has four flat tires." They had hoisted it with a crane. Cable was just replaced with a used cable condemned elsewhere. Who'd have thunk? The cable broke.
Looks like a Porsche. It looks like the rear is on the bump stops judging by the fender/tire gap. It also looks like the front of the trailer is far too low for best practices.
That's classic low class, a Porsche with a trailer hitch only thing worse would be a DB-9 with a hitch. If that photo is for real.
The rocker panel is level with the ground and the fender gap is the same as the front, the Porsche is not pulling that boat
why did you quote me there?
Lol idk, I just hit quote on the bottom one
I once hauled a 28 foot long 30" diameter log in the Power Wagon. I moved very slow. Steering was uncharacteristically light. I feel like the front wheels were barely touching the ground. He has about 12000 LBS behind his axle. If the frame doesn't fold, it won't handle very well.
The company I work for owns a truck that looks similar from that distance that just happens to be setting at my place at the momentso I sent this to the owner and am still waiting on a response. Told him I borrowed the truck to hual home my new machine
he'll be fine. Those are the extra-stiff mudflaps on there, spec # 549079. Good for 6000. Note the extra heavy duty grounding strap too.
Your boss is typing up your termination for cause letter .... for stupidity . You'll get it Monday when you bring the truck back.
How much does a 310D weigh? He might be OK weight wise but hanging the entire hoe of the back should be good for several fines and traffic violations.
I totally missed the wheelie bar stuck out by the bucket.
It won't be back tomorrow I'm repairing and make it road worthy once again I tried to go for a test drive tonight with my lady freind we made it about a half mile and manged to he turned around couldn't make it home appears it has something using the fuel line. Had dad come push me home with the backhoe
The truck will be alright, they sit like that when you have a big wrecked pickup backwards on the deck and another on the stinger . . . If that outfit was like the one I worked for it is the boss hauling his own backhoe . . . lol
My 410C weighed 17700, cab extend a hoe & standard bucket. My Case 580 SuperN weighs around 16000. I'll estimate a 310D is very close to the weight of the 580SuperN. I'll guess the truck is rated 35000 GVW, I think 19000 payload, but I doubt the payload should be so far back. See my avatar. That is a 27500 GVW truck & 80% of the 14000 LB dozer is forward of the axle.
This looked real sketchy.
I think it would be right at the limit if it was legal. If the tires were filled with liquid would add a couple thousand pounds too.
When I haul my Allis that weighs 8000+ engine and loader to front but loaded tires above trailer axles.
I've never seen a backhoe with loaded tires. Farm tractors it is very common, I'm not sure why they don't load backhoe tires. All backhoes are very heavy, usually too heavy. Far too much of the weight is on the rear wheels. Makes them less than perfect for snow removal. They get a big counter weight on the front & usually that isn't enough. I find a big rock, mafia block, or a bucket of gravel goes a long way to balance the machine. I often want to drag a log with back bucket, or pick up a boulder with the rear bucket & drive, near impossible without heavy in the front bucket.
The weight wouldnt be a deal if they had a trailer that the neck wasnt trying to brake off. I dont like the straps. I wonder if they made it ? I saw another trailer deal yesterday. It was a small trailer like you haul a mower on . They had some boxes on the front and several bags of soil on the rear . It looked rear heavy.
I kind of noticed the trailer tongue/gooseneck looked odd but the pic. is too black to tell if there's a problem or not.
Crane Operator in the early days with his single axle AC Mack.
Those were pre lawyer days, not so much to worry about whilst towing. Joe H
Well, you gotta admit - he didn't have any worries about any tyre going BOOM! I can just see the ad now - "Sale, 7-1/2 ton AC Mack, will carry 15 tons with ease"!
One item you folks have stepped right over--Brakes--Mechanical. That trailer has no brakes.
Brakes?? These trucks are made to GO, not to stop! Do you know what the speed limit for trucks was in those days in that neck of the woods? In my neck of the woods, it was 15mph for 3 ton trucks and 10mph for bigger trucks - and God help anyone caught speeding in a truck, in that era! A news article reporting a terror of the highways in 1927 in Melbourne, Australia ....
I wonder how many roads they had that could handle the weight ? I bet they spent a lot of time unloading and reloading to get to were they were going.
It's not technically the speed limit, that pile had no road speed. Rather control on even a slight grade.
Just have someone in the crane to drop the boom, she will stop
A slightly more modern take on the above. Late 50s/early 60s I would think. My dad looking proudly on in the 2nd photo as the shovel goes out to work after an overhaul.
Wouldn't those solid rubber tires come apart if they went "too fast"? I seem to remember hearing about a "blowout speed" of like 20 or 25 mph. The two or three inches of rubber would hold heat and not give it up.
Oh yeah just drop the boom/bucket like a anchor.
An AC Mack was really flying at 25 mph.
Ha- look at them boys all out on the boom. Those old timers sure weren't afraid of work, and had a "can do" attitude. People always think todays stuff is "cutting edge", but if you look at that old crawler, not much has changed in theory since it. There wasn't anything wrong with their pencils when they were designing stuff.
I bet those diffs were singing like the old ford 8N with the 3 speed brownie. That was a terrifying noise + lack of steering feel.
No differentials--Chain Drive, come on SkyKing I know you have a chain drive wallet.
This what's known around my neck of the woods as a {Flat House}. Grain elevators around here were built by the boards being laid FLAT not on edge. Lots of wood and nails. Whether this one is a true Flat House I can't tell. But if it is that Falcon is grunting it's ass off. The reply's for this will be good.
Hope the wind doesn't pick up on that one ....
They actually knew how to design stuff with pencils and slide rules, turn off the computers now and the designing will stop.
^^^^^^^, Must be from Milton Freewater Ore.
I was looking at the rest of that "flat house" strung out behind in two more loads. Must be nice to have a long run with now power crossings.
A bet you would lose. I don't have a buck knife on my belt either.
I don't gamble, that's why I've been successful as a mechanic.
Re the motorhome - I once saw an early Kombi Van with a bumper decal that read - "QUIT YA HONKING! I'M PEDALLING AS FAST AS I CAN!"
Local flat house elevator has been converted to a restaurant here. Can see the bin sides and funnel bottom all flat planked. Bins are empty and only architectural conversation pieces these days. Right in downtown.
Around here that type of wooden grain elevator construction was known as ‘stackwall’
That photo was taked in Canada.
I bet it smells good inside..
A fella wants to stay centered on the crown of the road with that one.
When I first started in the electrical trade, it was still predominately slide-rules. Young engineer would have some doubts about his calculations and add 5% to everything. Next engineer up the chain would check numbers, have some doubts and add another 5%. All along the line until the finished product was presented the magic 5% would be added at each step. that for the most part is why so many old things were so overbuilt; "just another 5% to be sure..." Now, with computers, if a building is designed for a 6.0 earthquake it will stand one. However, give it a 6.00001 and that sucker is a heap of rubble. Computers do have the ability to cut costs with construction. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that.
True, years ago 25% plus was common overkill. The Boeing 707 and 727 are good examples.
Speaking of Boeing; the working design concept for the B-52 was worked up in a hotel room over a weekend by 5 or 6 Boeing engineers in 1948. Seventy years later the plane is still working. To bad those boys aren't still around to help the Dreamliner team out . . . The B-52 was designed in a hotel room over one weekend (and will probably fly for 100 years) - Sandboxx America's B-52 will likely fly for more than 100 years before it retires, but it was actually designed in a hotel room over 48 hours. www.sandboxx.us
The structural engineers drawing the plans I've seen in the last 10 years do not have that program. 6,000 SF auto parts store with 8x8x3 footing -3 below SG for the center column. One national taco joint had a 3x2' thick strip footing -'3 below SG for a light frame wood building. I see crazy money wasted on the structural side of new commercial construction.
Used to be doubts about calculations driving overbuilding... Today, it's lawyers driving overbuilding or over spec'n. (Fear of litigation drove some of my decisions) CM1995: Could also be national chain standard designs. It works regardless of local soil conditions.
Engineers have a safety factor they design in and it varies with the industry and application. Bridges and structures probably have 2 or 3 or more to 1 safety factor built in. Airplanes are designed to a tee have very little safety factor built in.
A good friend of mine left high school went to work for Boeing, started as a riveter on the last of the 727's. Finished his career as a cabin pressure inspector on 747 lineup, the very last 747 he worked on was AF1. In his time working for Boeing he met and worked with engineers that went back into the 50's. There was not one that didn't agree that the 707 was a Battle Wagon in the sky because it was over engineered at a level of 40%. The 727 was just as good. For years the the 707 held the record for most trouble free flight hours on how many were built and sold.
My brother did his internship at spirit in Wichita (Boeing) .4 safety factor is not much
In your book.
Then I saw a Federal residential building equivalent large to 5 small single family houses combined into one building. Every inch of the way it was supervised by the engineer & the architect. Here, everybody factors frozen ground in foundations. Ground sometimes freezes 6 feet deep, so most basement walls are 7' deep. Standard footing is 18" wide, 5-1/2" tall. Eight inch thick, 4500 PSI concrete mix is poured with varying amounts of 5/8" rebar. The floor is poured to secure the wall at its base. The deck structurally prevents dirt pressure from moving the walls at top. Federal dug 2.5' deep 3-1/2 thick X 12" wide footings. Walls were 6" thick. I saw no reinforcing steel in it at all. No floor poured inside the walls to counter the dirt pressure from outside,
In flight training to be an air gunner in WW II my dad was in the tail when they did a barrel role in the training plane. I can't remember which plane it was though. I think it was an earlier smaller plane than a Lancaster or Halifax. My dad was the only survivor in a Halifax bomber when it got hit by flack and he was blown out. He had a sore elbow for a year because the escape hatch was jammed. He thinks the bombs were still on board when it blew up. He suffered a broken back and had a piece of the turret ring removed from his back. He kept the piece but I don't know what ever happened to it. He did have a back belly button from it though. He also said it's a little nerve racking getting used to looking backwards in the tail on take off.
I did a small floating slab(6’ square) for a walk in kiosk that had so much 3/4 rebar in it that I could not thread a 3/4” pipe across it. Yes, a government job. Cam
The B777 now actually holds the best record for trouble free flight hours. Interestingly, it was the first Boeing that was completely computer-designed.
Think this fits here:
That reminds me of when they there is a new guy loading my truck at the Quarry.
I can safely assume he was moving at highway speeds since he was in the passing lane. Works for me since nobody is too close to him.
It’s a rental..drive it like you stole it !
Is there any tires left on the right side?
"There in there somewhere"....
I sighted this in a local ad. He's fitting a 6-354 Perkins engine into an antique Oliver BDH tractor. I wouldn't like to guess how long it is, before his chassis is fractured right through, just in front of the rear axle. At least he's not on a public road .....
I suppose you wouldn't like this picture then either? Wet N14 plus radiator and frame, 3000# Front tires off the ground And I drove it a little to set it down somewhere else.
Hard to top a roughneck with a gin pole truck showing air under the front tires.
I take offense to that because I am not a roughneck. Roughnecks work on drilling rigs, I (normally) work on pulling units and do well service, my avatar is my rig.
So you be a pinkneck? Bad Bob
No offense intended, it's just a side benefit.
There's some serious differences between using a single cab, F350 dually with a properly built gin pole setup, to lift an N14 - as compared to using a lightweight Asian-origin dual cab pickup, with a Chinese engine crane, ratchet-strapped to the end of the tray. These lightweight Asian-origin crew cabs bend the chassis behind the cab so frequently, there are businesses here doing good business welding them up again and plating them, or supplying plating kits to try and stop the chassis bending before it happens.
So, I don't know much about anything to do with the oilfields, other than one year everybody and their brother is heading out to the oil patch to get rich, and the next year they are all broke. But anyway, what is that setup normally used for?
For taking to the oil patch, where they throw money at you like water from a fire hose, which the roughnecks then throw at the strippers until its gone. Then they pray for just one more oil boom, because they'll really work at saving during the next boom.... its the circle of life.
Have heard they used to play poker and bet their paychecks working in the oilsands. Also heard there's a lot of drug use up there too. The union actually prevailed in not letting Suncor do random drug testing. That's scary considering the size and power off the machines there. A few years ago there were stories on the news of people leaving their big fancy 4x4's at the airport with the keys because they flew back East after being laid off. They thought the money just kept flowing but soon discovered it didn't and they couldn't make their payments. A lot people don't think there will ever be another big oil boom. Many oilfield related businesses closed up shop or went into receivership.
That truck is just to be handy since it doesn't have a rolling tail board or it doesn't have weight in the front as it's a gas engine, it's also just a 1 ton. Previous owner had a welder and a torch on it and probably repaired things, changed electric motors, picked up scrap, etc. Trucks with a rolling tail board, which are "real winch trucks" can pick up, load, and transport all kinds of big things such as tanks, pumping units, floors, etc. I got that truck for $300 with no rear axle and they cut off all the winch related things. You can also see the big hole behind the cab where the torch bottles holder was where they cut that off.
My cousin went to Wyoming for the big boom in the early 80's. Natural gas I think, but not sure. Anyway, he made huge money for the times. When he got laid off, he came back to Arizona and remained unemployed for a time, because he thought he was worth Wyoming drilling money in hick town AZ.
I started in 06, it's been great to me. Only been fired once
People think the big money is for the work they do, when the money is really for putting up with a crappy work schedule and even crappier conditions.
It's the same as guys new to welding thinking they'll just get into pipelining and make boat loads of money because somebody else did it. It doesn't work that way. It's a lot of hard exacting work in sometimes very adverse conditions. Not everybody can handle the challenge.
You know it's heavy when you need to get pulled up the hill with a 2nd truck. I just went up the hill at 60k# and didn't have a problem. Rotary Derick (drilling rig)
Uh-a complete 855/N14 is 2,850. That's close to 4,000.
Well, whatever it weighs, that's the limit on that truck.
Need some stiff legs to go down like a tow truck has to keep the front of the truck down. They would also add a good safety margin. Could maybe have wheels so the truck could be moved short distances with a load on the gin poles.
I don't know about a safety margin, all the stinger on a wrecker does is allow you to pull a little more weight before the front goes in the air ... There is always the ragged edge of the envelope, and guys will always find it.
Yeah you are moving stuff around so some jack legs wouldn't work. It's fine there's always a bigger truck (like the ones moving the Derrick), mine is probably the smallest you will ever see.
After 20 minutes of stopping traffic I gave up. Achmed and his brother tried to back their trailer down to the door on the blue building, and this is as close as they could get. I finally went to the drivers door and just told him which way to turn. How two guys with 10 words of English between the two of them get cdl’s and dot #rs is beyond me. Evidently the 40’ long single wheel gooseneck gets loaded pretty hard, they had a whole stack of tires strapped to the truck.
How do you know they had cdl's ?? And the DOT # scrawled on the window . . . The only way to do better would be mailbox numbers . . .
Jack legs with some wheels might work.
That's hard to watch. At Pearson they have a miserable, tight, one way, back it on scale with tire popping scraps all around it. This kid was trying to back a trailer onto the scale that was just a wee bit narrower than the service body he was driving. The work came to a standstill while he failed over and over. The workers there can basically do nothing to help. I said I don't care would you like me to give you a hand? I got in there and did the constant curve method and backed it on, backed it to the grapple, and backed it to the scale again. Those gooseneck guys have no excuse.
Was that asphalt sprayed with some kind of tar or something that makes it look wet?
Had a kid from Miami with a class a CDL couldn't back a trailer. He went through a school to get it. Yeah so that recent change where you gave to have class time for a CDL will definitely help gave better drivers.
Kinda hard to winch stuff on the bed with that contraption in the way. Real winch trucks have the rear axle at the rear anyway. These trucks never get used on good ground so those wheels would have to be truck sized otherwise they are just stuck in the ground. The cost of extra wheels could just go into a bigger truck that's better in every way.
Meantimes, Eric got sick of waiting for the seats to be delivered for his new charabanc, so he just went ahead with his passenger transport service, without further ado ....
CDL school graduation - check. White shoe polish on the window - check. Cheap flip-flops - check. We're in business.
And then they get sent West in the winter. It is a hoot watching them in a chain-up area running around in their flip-flops trying to figure out chains.
Can admit wore tenni sneaks driving but the boots went on to step out to work. Did not dress in shorts or no shirt not even wife beater Ts, used gloves handling rough stuff. Laid out and dressed chains for use hung to lay out when needed on racks. Worked at not having to work too long in cold or wet. None of the current twits ever second seated to understand what to look for/at/to by someone that really drove. That dumper that laid over, guy on it said got lazy did not consider NOT dumping tractor suspension could lead to that. Both truck and trailer totaled. Engine was steady singed on its side as driver bailed. SUPPOSEDLY, he kept his job admitting to fault.
I started off with a 3/4 ton that i put a dulley rear end under. I cut the rear springs off even with the tires and built a perch for them . I should have just removed the springs . It was a rust bucket that i never had street legal. I had a 40.000# winch because thats what i had. I had a tow bar on it i used it alot. I stacked cars on my trailer with it using a loading dock for the extra height . It would almost handle a car but after flipping it off the dock back wards i tied the front end to another one ton. The size and length was very handy for what i did because junk yards and places were there is scrap is always packed tight. I wanted i big truck and built one . I wish i could have made the pickup work and maybe i could have but i needed to lift 3000# 8 feet and thats a tall set of poles for a small rig. This big truck i have now works but it is a pain a lot of the time because of space to us it in .
Local weld shops have some big pickup winch trucks. 450-550 chassis, long bed with a tailboard, run around 20k# they can do all the real work a big truck can do except height. I guess their poles are still only 10-12'. My poles are 10' I think with 12' of total height.
If anyone wants to build a big gin pole truck. I have a set of new poles. 20' of 5 1/2 × 3 1/2 tubing with 10' of 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 extensions.
Airplanes are now built the same way, with computers doing the calculations. Has been great for increasing load weights!
Was watching an episode of Mayday where a plane crashed because the load shifted. Every load is basically engineered and carefully calculated exactly where it should be placed. Even the cargo straps are fully calculated. When close to max. payload it is especially critical everything is perfectly placed and secured.
Some of us did save...
I saved then bought the equipment in my avatar when oil was $30. Now I'm broke.
Tejon Pass, aka The Grapevine Truck Crash <link.
One of those happened at Bethel airport in 92 It was a shorts skyvan with (8) 55 gallon drums of fuel on their sides. The anchor broke and they rolled right to the tail on liftoff, and it went about as straight up as it could, then fell back to make a big fireball. 8 extra barrels of fuel will do that for you. https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-short-sc7-skyvan-3a-variant-200-bethel-1-killed
Thanks for this site. It should be required reading to get a CDL. I glanced through the air brake failure section and it confirmed what I always knew. Brake imbalance is one of the most common problems. I carried a digital laser thermometer with me and every once in a while, after a long grade, I would check the temp at each drum & document it. Then when they cooled a bit I would tighten or loosen accordingly.
Tiger Mountain westbound is getting so rough that I followed a 20 MPH oversize down it, a big crusher screen plant. he threw some sparks but I could not figure out from where. Regular loads are going down it at 35 or so. It is not on the signage, this is just common knowledge. It is BS as far as I am concerned, they need a max 35 on it for the trucks till they get it fixed. Some poor schmuck is going to lose it.
There's this rig I had to drive every once in awhile, it only had brakes on the front drivers and they were to the steel. the front looked brand new and were adjusted, the rear axle was also brand new and adjusted, well the driver side was the pass side has a broken s cam. I would drive it about 30 mph or less and took crap for driving slow, fix the brakes dude. Truck is still like that last time I saw it. I figured it put all the brake air to the front driver axle. Truck weighs probably 60k.
White Bird-Been down it many times. He's only 75,000 a little light but he's driving correctly. White Bird runs 6 to 6.5 then 7%.
I'm really conservative. I do the old school rule that I go down a hill at the same speed that I can climb it. I put the four ways on and do most of my descents in eighth. That put me at about 30-35 on Tiger mountain when it used to be drivable lol. Edit: Haha I just watched the video. I'm about 68k
He could run a little faster, up to 38 to 39 on full jake. That has a DD15 I believe, very strong jakes, will hold 100,000 on Cabbage 6 miles 6% at 38 to 40 in 7th with a DT12 auto shift at 2100 rpm steady with no air applied.
I leave my 3406 on the high setting most of the time. It is kind of nice to run low Jake, though, it's like having a little reserve in your pocket. I tend to apply enough air now and again to flash my brake lights at people approaching, and coincidentally bring my speed down a little bit.
Around here you would never get anything done if you went down hills so slow no air brakes needed to be used. But you can set up so it is mostly Jakes with the occasional light foot pedal and that will do it. Kind of a middle ground. I would be interested in what Pops52 has to say about that, he lives in the same area.
Speed limit on the Vine is 35. 6% at 80,000 on Cabbage with late engines, they run 50 down. But you ain't doing 50 with 100,000 unless a person is a fool. I run all over California years ago.
Here I am at Dunnigan rest area, 1980.
BV I would agree with that at 80K. Headin down 49 or coming down from the 5 mile house and down into Penn Valley with 100K+ I would try to take it slow & easy. But there are a bunch of short 10-15% hills up here that will get ones attention. For whatever it's worth, I moved up here from Santa Maria in 09. Drove the lowbed for Manuel Bros for a year til they closed the doors in Feb 13. Drove the lobed on & off for C&D (retired 3 times with them) from 2014 til 2 years ago and retired for good . I think....... Maybe our paths will cross someday, I'll buy the coffee or a drink. Dave PS It wasn't me that had the IT-28 roll off the back of the lowbed in Newcastle or got in a fight with the end dump driver in 2018....
Running fast down hill to save 3 minutes ? -it's about your average speed over entire distance, how long in the seat that counts. Plus it depends on who's paying the bill for brakes and drums or air disc which are really expensive. Company drivers don't tend to care but OO's do.
Getting there is better than not, sometimes I'm going 35 on flat ground.
I like to find a speed that makes the Jakes do as much work as possible and maybe just touch the brakes from time to time. I use the fan as a fourth stage of the Jake. But then I'm always running the same hills more or less so I know what to expect. I always like it when I hear someone coming down a steep hill in the woods with too much Jake. They're trying to go slow which is good but they're constantly cutting the Jake for a second to keep revs from getting too low instead of using a lower setting. BRRRrrrrt---BRRRrrrrt---BRRRrrrrt
I pretty much agree with all the above. Trucks I have driven to myself don't tend to ever wear out shoes or pads. But I am not afraid to use them a little, now and then. Another thing is these canyon roads. They meander down one side of the canyon for a few miles, cross the bridge, and up the other side. You can use a little more air brake there because there is not enough time on the downhill for everything to get hot before you start going up the other side.
well one good thing the tires won`t blow out
I like reading these reply's. Having worked recovery I've seen the worst. Having been in the business, repair, towing, shop manager, owner operator plus having to deal with drivers 7 days a week damn near most think they are some kind of Mario Andretti. The longer one drives the odds are not in their favor. Just like Shake Hands with Danger complacency will get them. * Fact---One of our drivers was in the shop shooting his mouth off about how he could fly down Cabbage at 55. I turned to Gayle and said {We haven't had a wreck, a bad one in six years, we are over due-he's next}. One month to the day we get a call from dispatch------- {Heath driver of 410 put it on it's side blocking I-84 at Lime Canyon south of Baker City. Would one of you head that direction}. The area is posted 50 at that point. * It was a mess when I got there, too much to describe, driver was at the hospital. He was about as lucky as they get, when it went on it's side the guard rail shot through part of the hood, the dash missing his head by about an inch-cut the head rest off the top of the seat and shot through the side of the sleeper. * I personally have cleaned up several from driving too close, too fast, too fast on a grade. Average of 40 plus tons that can't be stopped on a dime. Don't know what's laying in the road around the corner, didn't do a proper equipment check, pissed off at the boss, pissed off at the girl friend or wife, doesn't matter the distraction it's distracted driving combined with arrogance/complacency. Viola a disaster in the making driving with ones head stuck in their ass. * I cleaned one up on the Vantage Grade 11 miles of 5 to 6.5% near the bottom, mile post 125 is the top at rest area 136 at the bottom. Worst mess I ever dealt with, witnesses told the WSP the 45' flat cartwheeled 4 times end to end. Killed him. * Another I cleaned up Arrogantly said on the side of the sleeper {Flirting with Disaster} killed him. * If you are depending on a electrical source in the engine to hold you back on a grade and you have been using your brakes also, better hope you didn't get them warmed to early, because if the jake goes dead and it has happened your in deep ****. Hopefully no one else on the road will be involved. Truck wrecks have steadily risen the statistics are easy to find.
well said
TS if one wanted to do a road trip for the Vantage grade where would be a good starting point?
It's I-90 between Ellensburg and Vantage, it's just a long grade not too steep but long, nothing to see except sagebrush although there is the Columbia River at Vantage
Don't forget all those fans they use to blow clouds over to the eastern side of the state
What you posted @Truck Shop is why I was not complaining about that heavy hauler doing 20 down Tiger the other night. I want to be able to stop NOW if something goes sideways out in front of me. If the jake on the Cat or the exhaust brake on my personal truck fails, it won't be cause for panic. Electric trailer brakes are another matter.
All you western cowboys with your 7% grades and all . . . come to Wisconsin and relax. We take a 700' hill, call it Rib Mountain, and then build a ski resort on it and call that Granite Peak . . .
My brother went through his internship at Milwaukee General, I traveled back there to visit. Corn fields, ant hills and the lamest rope tow ski bump I've ever seen. But the best Bratwurst in the country with a scoop of custard ice cream to follow.
Sitting at tire shop and and a delivery rolled in:
Tire shops around here do that all the time. It's just rubber so it won't hurt anybody if it falls out, right?
Standard practice around here.
I've seen worse
Taught in 76 'No faster DOWNHILL that came up, preferably Slower' by an old man working beside me. Was second call wrecker operator then, he was first up then retired and I ended up first call. Had to retrieve one in AR and drive two lane in the hills dragging it behind the old Diamond T, shifted A LOT!! '77 was first run as a Truck Herder, not quite legal paperwork, still used paper license in those days, and Chauffeur License then. Mack F700, tandem, 45' reefer, Processed foods to CA then up thru valley to return with produce. Always a Stark memory that climbing Grapevine was tedious slow with the Bulldog so came down same speed even as empty where caught a load of flack from the 'Professionals'. Radio Crackled as to a runaway all to stay in Right lane, saw the flashing lights back up the hill looked back to the lights at hill bottom some miles to go, next glance at mirror the First of two cops running Lead for the steel hauler shot by, next was the hauler brakes billowing smoke, at least most of axle seals had cooked out, had to have been over 80 and still mileage to go. Kept it upright all the way into the median at bottom of grade, just a royal mess as got to where the truck was, engine fire being put out, had been a very pretty old Pete Long hood. Three fire trucks and a army of fire extinguisher carriers putting out the fires. Stopped at TS for a break and dinner, everyone in there that had passed me going DOWN the grade said NOTHING and Knew I was the driver in the White F700 Bulldog. Truck was dragged in then trailer and hauled into the storage lot. Sat there a couple months before just disappeared on one last run thru there.
At least was a 'Heavy Half' 4x4!!
SRW Dodge pulling this contraption.
Yup, that's known as a tripple. IIRC legal in 5 states. Came up behind one heading east after visiting Rushmore. Thought it was a motorhome pulling a boat just like that one. Upon passing, I found a short (22'-24') 5th wheel, and a 1/2 Dodge stepside "Little Red Wagon" with the dual stacks and wood sides. If the owner would have tossed a 4 wheeler into the open boat, he'd have everything. I read that they came with the 360 v-8 in them. Had his foot in it for sure, but was doing o.k. Did not look dangerous at all, that one above ^^^ looks like a hazard.
I didn't know that was illegal. If you have your class a with double/triples would it be legal then? Isn't that just a double?
RV people call it a "Tripple".... What Is Triple Towing? Where Is It Legal? Do I Need A Special License? Triple towing: What is it, is it different from double towing, is it safe, and is it legal? All this & more ahead! www.thervgeeks.com
Wait for the crosswinds.
Double trailers behind light vehicles and 4WD's are 100% illegal here in Australia. The problem of course, is hitches that are normally designed to handle one trailer, aren't rated to handle two trailers,and the loading on the first hitch increases enormously with an additional trailer. We have enough trouble with industrial-size hitches on truck combinations here - with an occasional truck losing a trailer thanks to hitch failure. One crash in particular here involved a heavy tipper (dump) truck hauling a 4 axle dog trailer. The companys maintenance on the trailer coupling was poor and the coupling broke, and the 4 axle trailer went straight into a guy in a 4WD coming the other way. The 4 axle trailer just demolished the 4WD, there was no chance of survival for the driver. A second crash involved a rich guy with lots of toys and a big workshop - plus he thought he knew everything, especially around engineering. He owned a diesel 4WD Silverado crew cab, and a huge caravan (trailer home) - and he bought a big tandem axle trailer to carry his multiple quad bikes - then he built his own hitch for the rear of the caravan - without any engineering approval, nor any knowledge of our traffic laws and regulations. The end result was pretty predictable. He took off for an adventure cruise with his luxury "mini-roadtrain" and only got about 50kms from his home, before his homebuilt trailer hitch fell apart under the towing stresses, and the big tandem axle trailer full of quad bikes went straight across the highway and head-on into an 8 tonne refrigerated truck, killing the truck driver. He was charged with dangerous driving causing death, but was very contrite and apologetic in court (and probably employed a top-flight lawyer) and he got off the charge with just a suspended sentence and a major fine, thanks to convincing the judge he never meant to hurt anybody. I thought it was a pretty poor penalty, but that's typical of when you have plenty of $$$'s to buy your way out of a full jail term. Driver avoids jail over fatal crash involving 'makeshift road train' A Perth man walks free after a crash where his overweight trailer — being towed by a caravan that he was in turn towing with his ute — came free and ploughed into an oncoming truck, claiming the life of its driver. www.abc.net.au
If you look at the 5th wheel closely you can see it's a toy hauler, so I'm sure a ATV/UTV or something is in there too.
I saw that too. However, the rules just say "Trailer" not what all is in it. I agree that what you posted is way overkill and dangerous on the road. What I encountered was not as much so.
Yup, soon after I got back from that trip, I was talking with a local semi truck driver. He said "I love coming up past these, with a good head wind, I move them right over."
What sort of coupling ozdozer? You're talking quad dog, which over here usually means ringfeeder. I thought they were pretty much infallible.
Here in Alberta, those RV’s pulling another trailer are legal but most exceed the legal length limit. If they ever crack down on them, there will be a lot of unhappy owners. The DOT monitors the commercial vehicles but lets the RV’s slide. Its all good until someone gets killed. Politics at play
It's just another example of people with too much crap they think they need.
Hope they don't put much in it ....
Just wait, there will be another I can photo, a Van Hool Transit Bus Motorcoach dragging at least a 25 maybe a 28' Tongue Box Trailer with a 22' boat behind that. Old Fud behind the wheel at LEAST 70 perhaps closer to 80 by appearance.
I need this picture.
My fifth wheel had a hitch on it when I bought it. It came out of Idaho where is legal to haul that second trailer. My understanding is it's only doable if the front trailer is a fifth wheel. I have not dug into the laws but I also guess that the back trailer has to be surge brakes. Boat behind the fifth wheel is the most common one I've seen.
A medium size toyhauler like that which is double axle not triple axle Pulling a boat behind is common and legal here. The weight of the 5th wheel centred over the box makes it quite stable. A dually would be better but not required. Don’t try this with a bumper hitch though.
I'll give my opinion on it. It's stupid to run a combo like this without brakes designed to apply properly for control. It is a complete crap shoot when you do a hard braking application that it is going to work out for you.
Put 8k behind the trailer axles. It will level right out
Pony - I'm not sure where the precise failure point was, when the 4 axle dog trailer became detached from the truck pulling it. It certainly was a Ringfeder hitch, but I suspect the trailer drawbar had been damaged, and not picked up by a lack of company inspections, so it was the actual drawbar that broke, not the Ringfeder hitch. However, I have seen the drawbar eyes for Ringfeders cracked. Careless backing up is the major reason behind hitch and drawbar damage. As a matter of concern, I've also found large bolts lying on highways, which look like drawbar bolts, and this tells me that a number of truck operators need reaming out for their careless maintenance. Transport inspectors pound the highways on a regular basis to check all this, but I don't know how good they are on actually checking maintenance items, or whether their inspections are cursory. To do proper checks, these blokes need to be under the trucks and trailers, and a lot prefer not to get dirty, so the checks are pretty basic, and confined to what they can see from a standing position.
With the thought they consider themselves to be on par with a professional driver. Constantly over shooting their actual ability combined with the vehicle they are driving has lulled them into believing their own BS.
Axle this one out.
I wonder how easy it was, to do wheelstands with that rig? I'm surprised the top rear of the cab doesn't show regular contact with whatever was behind it!
Reminds me of the good days, PS don't ever buy government surplus, you might get one of the vehicles I drove.
If that had been an orange Challenger it would have survived that.
I wouldn't like to see the front end of that Humvee after that little nose-into-the-ground exercise! Could be more than a few suspension components that need replacing!
I like the trailers with a hitch in the rear so when your stuck in Mud you can put a ball in there and have a solid place to pull the trailer out from.
Ringling Brothers clown car hauler.
Air Force used those as a pig for moving planes.
So, maybe that short blue old dodge was a ‘smart truck’. It was just decades ahead of its time
All that humvee needs is flywheels on the back axle so you can feed some throttle to get the front end up.
Our new ******** rich neighbor who I had to put the power in for last year. Over weight, loaded wrong and got a ratchet strap holding the bucket. I surmise around 30/31k lbs back there. Truck 6/7k lbs, trailer 7k lbs, and backhoe 17k lbs
16,990.2 lbs. lol
No problem
But it's got a Duramax with a 600hp tune!
My bad, I was off by 9.8 lbs. I'm sure the 450 gallon water tank makes up those few pounds.
I think his son might have that tune since he drives one with a tailpipe tip you could shove a watermelon in and hear a mile away. That would be the dad there that thinks he knows it all and you can't say ***** cause in someway you are doing the same thing you are complaining about.
But it's got "HD" on the door, doesn't that stand for "Heavy Duty"?? Even a dually crew cab Silverado is factory limited to 9000kgs (19836lbs) gross, down here. I hate to think what those single rear tyres are carrying, or how much that rear axle housing is bending - or what kind of pressure those 8 wheel studs each side, are under. With this kind of abuse, often drivetrain problems don't show up until a few years has gone by, and the second owner is the one trying to figure out why the drivetrain components are failing early. What happened to this big ol' plate that manufacturers used to screw to the firewall??
150 HP could move that load
But 600Hp will move it up a 6% grade at 70mph, which, as you know, is essential.
Then you can go down that grade at 70 as well even though the trailer brakes don't work
The ratchet strap on the back bucket is no biggie. The problem is the no tie down at all on the front bucket!!
Rear axle is very likely not overloaded. Can’t speak for GMC but Ram the rear axle SRW or DRW is exactly the same aside from the width. Driveline is exactly the same also. Even with 4K of pin weight rear axle wouldn’t be overloaded. I pulled a gooseneck similar weight with my srw all the time, it’s not overloaded or hard on it, I went up to 26k numerous times.
Most of the components are the same from brand to brand, but it's not great to do that to a truck when you should have the money to get a bigger truck.
I realize this isn't a overload of the day, but. * 1976 359 Pete, steel rails in very good shape, extended leaf walking beam suspension, 350 small cam Cummins with jakes, 13 speed-originally had a 5x4. Factory three fuel tanks. Factory 36" sleeper. Needs tires and a paint job-would be great if had a 400. $15,500,00. Southern Cal. Make a great lowboy truck.
I have came to a conclusion for out here.... I can never own anything like that or in it's league out here or it will get destroyed. Another thing is it needs to be 4 x 4 as in true 4 x 4, 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 or it's as useless as tits on a nun.
I saw an older couple today getting some gravel ( driving by, no picture), shoveling it into the trunk of a smaller car. That will definitely be an overload when they pull out of the garden center. Cam
4x4 that is truly a 2wd when 'locked in' ... lol
What is wrong with the paint?
I see why the price is reasonable. It's only got one stack and with a muffler, too. Plus stock visor and single painted air cleaner.
Does the Pete not have AC ? I have never owned a truck with AC or a pickup that had it but i have been really thinking about it the last few years.
Correct-The miles on this 359 are low, it hasn't had everyone and their drunk brother butchering it. Only need one pipe, only need one air cleaner, only need a stock visor. The wiring is in real good shape. Even the steering wheel-isn't cracked all to hell. For moving equipment in normal conditions {not like Spuds environment} it's a perfect rig, it doesn't get anymore simplistic than this. Everyone whines about how hard it is to work on trucks these days, A clutch change or gear box R&R is about 4 hours and that includes 10 smoke breaks and a pot of coffee. * Get your wallets out and stop sniveling.
Its to far away or I'd own it. A 10 year old 4 x 4 pickup sells for more.
Giant twin breathers and silly visors just restrict visibility, and mufflers are great. Loud pipes are great on somebody else's truck . . .
Trucks like that are only going up in value and it should be easy put in any engine you want to like a N14. No emissions def or dpf and the truck was made when trucks were made. This is the real deal here. My 06 pickup would sell for more.
Yeah, but it doesn't have twin stacks, air cleaners, tinted windows and a bumper that scrapes the ground. Nor does the shifter graze the ceiling, plus no corvette dash. Pull that sleeper off, I ain't staying overnight anywhere anyways. And I sure don't need three fuel tanks, there's no where I'm going where I need that much fuel. Actually, that's a sharp truck, super clean inside, and the only reason its not working, is CARB. It would sell for at least 10k more in the midwest, for a farmer hauling grain, or a dirt worker pulling a dozer. Prices for pre-2000 trucks are still high here.
Yeah I thought the price was low actually Since it's in stupid commineforina could one drive that out of state? I'm not looking just curious.
Where's the USB port?
Right next to the 8 track.
If I had money you'd see me driving that truck on i70 headed east back home with it.
People will think of a ten ways. You would need to tire it first, it has been parked since 1998 but started and run regularly. Tires are cracking next to rim/bead area. * But owning a truck like this------------------No yellow safety shirts allowed inside cab, and no wiping of ones ass on the seat. Might need it you could find yourself homeless down the road. * * *Actually I probably shouldn't have posted it-first thing people do is start talking about how they would butcher it, Better yet everyone forget about it, just buy a nice International with a Max Force. Kick the mud off your boots on the floor, spit sunflower seed hulls till there an inch deep, throw your uneaten lunch behind the seat, beat the crap out of the passenger door by throwing a thermos and hardhat in the passenger seat, and set dead along side the road with all the check engine lights on plus a puddle of coolant on the ground. Only need a beater to move equipment.
I love it. I'll take it. You just need to move all the steering, pedals, seat and cab controls to the other side of the cab, and let me know what the postage cost to Australia is going to be. Send it normal post, I don't need air express.
yes I'd make a dump truck out of it. Blasphemy!!
Nothing wrong with a Pete Dumper, many around here and suspension is correct. Just sad to see a machine like fhat go to waste. Was new as I had started in the industry
I would cut the stack down remove one fuel tank replace it with a tool box find a headache rack that looked like it belonged on it.
That would make a flimsy, lightweight dump truck.
I-------I would put it in a shop-repaint, repower with a 400, install Pete Low Air ride suspension. Hang a sign outside the shop {Haunted Forrest Keep Out}. Use it on Sunday mornings to drive to the store to buy cat food for Orange Cat.-------------Blasphemy? It would be a Blast From Me, anyone walking near or around it even quietly thinking about making a dump out of it.
I thought the same thought. I'd like a nice tandem!
Here's a nice non descript mangler for you guys.
I almost left a jobsite one day with the boom still up at 30 degrees. I had 4 people talking to me and I was late for two other jobs, so I can see how it could happen. I hopped in the lower cab and didn't see the boom beside me or the hooks hanging- that's when I knew something was up... We had a rolloff dumpster truck take out a railroad bridge years ago, crane company I was with put it back on the abutments.
One of the guys at the shop showed me this one last summer when the temps were up and the asphalt was soft.
Must not be much of a road base under the asphalt
I'm curious if the person shooting the video saw what was happening at the last moment or if he was standing there the whole time the truck was sitting at the light waiting for the show. I've seen several videos where someone could have stopped the carnage but chose to stand back and video it.
really not serious about that too. It is right in there with the road grader I do not need, or the dozer, or (pick any equipment). It would make a nice tractor just as it is for a 2 axle lowboy and a 200 excavator. A guy can get a lot done with a 200. comes in under 80K and only need to hang overwidth banners. What does that truck weigh, 18K? two axle lowboy 17K https://pittstrailers.com/lb35-dc/ 200 is 45K
I realize that also, it would be along the lines of attaching tubing, spray nozzles/chemical tank and splashing/misting pesticides all over the sides of the plane in your avatar using it as a crop duster. Actually that would be good use for old WWII fighters and any other old planes from that era.
We just did grade work haul off for a local contractor. Old asphalt streets here were placed over old gravel roadbeds, more screenings than gravel and many times next to nothing to that base. dug out 20" of soil placed 18" of Type Five Road Base(Essentially 1' with Screenings and any type stone from 1" down so will compact. Where we had to turn to back onto the new bed we destroyed the asphalt with the dump trucks, city tech stated no worry as have to dig up bad water line there anyway. Have Loess Soil here, compaction became the problem while damp, soon as open to Sun and dried out became concrete.
Not a overload-but someone didn't perform pre-trips for awhile. Trailing arm hanger cracked, tore from frame.
you have a good eye, I see the whole thing as bent trash.
It's probably fixable, but had someone been looking it would have been a easier fix. The real issue is the crap rolling the highways that other drivers take for granted. Too bad he didn't get a red light at a scale.
Sound like some of my trips with my 5 ton. Damn I need to clean it up and get the new windshield put in, such a blast to drive. Also need to adjust the 1st gear, jumps out too early and back in too late.
Its easy to put off stuff on your own trucks . I fixed the horn on my pickup this weekend it had come unplugged and the one on my f600 the bracket broke they were hanging buy the wire welded it back together. The f 600 needs steer tires i have another f600 with new ones i think i will put them on and maybe junk it someday.
We were involved with a major refit of a mill. All the work was on one side of a 12 ' wall, the crane on the other. Crane operator, Noel could see only that which was above maybe 15' height. He climbed out of his cab, walked 400 feet roundabout to where the crew was. Pipe in his teeth, he asked whose in charge here? In unison everybody pointed at Howard, one of the youngest men there. Noel said "I want directions coming from Howard, no one else." That was the only day in that project where there was no chaos. A lot got done that day, no injuries, or destruction.
Saw a pick pulling a huge 5th wheel camper pulling a tiny jet ski trailer so it must be legal in kansas
What's that motor doing on that boat--should be a row boat.
And steel wheels on the trailer.
How sin full would it be to take off the 2 big fuel tanks and put a service body on it?
That's ok, just no yellow safety shirts worn in the cab.
Well I've been pondering a life venture
Was a add looking for walnut white oak and hard maple. I'm not totally up to speed on weight of logs but?
That looks like gooseneck testing to destruction point, to me. I just hope he's running on smooth roads with no sharp dips.
The add is from bedford County Pennsylvania it's hills and dips and not flat
Do you know what truck was pulling the trailer? The trailer is probably about 22,000 GVW.
I'd have said heavier. Mine is three axles, six tires 22500
The one in the picture is tandem with duals
I don't know if this is a overload or not, and I'm just too lazy to figure it out. It just looks like something I'd rather not do. Isn't Dmiller looking for a camper? This is right up in his neck of the woods... 2019 Other custom $18,000 Listed 35 weeks ago in Imperial, MO Message Seller's Description Willing to sell it how it sits, or completely empty (plain canvas to do your own) Trailer not included Bus WAS a 1998 Bluebird front engine. 5.9 cummins 12v (4k gov springs, 60lb valve springs, afc mod and fuel plate mod, billet tappet cover and relocation of breather to vavle covers, new turbo, timed the injection pump up, egt gauge, boost gauge, boost elbow, fuel pressure gauge, kdp fixed and all new front end gaskets and more I'm forgetting) Alison 545 Bus is LEGALLY FULLY converted. It is a 2019 special construction RV through the state of Missouri! It has a new vin number and new title! This is a dry bus! No tanks! No sink! Plenty of room to add under, I just don't need so never did. Henry's tropicool painted roof, 5k or 3k inverter (depending on deal) Onan 4500 and/or quite 3200 generator neither mounted ( depending on the deal) 13ft awning on the passenger side. Class V hitch. Lots more but ran out of space to type
A lot of money for something that ugly
Some campgrounds don’t allow school bus-based RV units
The time/money invested to create a public eyesore. His money his time-now he expects to sell it-just needs to find the right crazy to buy it.
I'm guessing this Mack ain't sporting no Highway 34,000lb rear end!?
Probably is, many a house has been moved with just a WWII deuce & half.
LOL. I've seen **** like that at Talladega back in the day. Perfect example of when rednecks have too much time and too much money on their hands. The Talladega versions had roof decks built on top.
My point exactly! I'd think eight tires, frame looks heavier than mine. I'd have said greater capacity than mine. Not to mention 1500 LBS of gooseneck.
Saw this 200 gallon water trailer for sale on craigslist!!!
That's more than a 200-gallon capacity tank surely...?
Some0ne left a 0 off.
At least the logs didn’t fall off and kill someone. Seems like they were using some quality straps…..
I bet it was a wild ride to the shoulder with that trailer of logs. These guys are local to me and had a bad day.
I make that 19000 LBS tank full. Trailer has to be10000 empty. Roughly, 29000 LBS. I'd bet the tow rating is under 10,000.
I don't think that GMC is attached to that tank. The wheels don't line up right and the trailer is too far back.
Who was it that said “ believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see” ?
I told you its connected, vato.
He's got a pintle hitch, lighting wiring connection, and safety chains - all legal, what's the problem? Of course, there may be some lingering doubt about the trailer braking system.
Don't worry, just put your hat out the window to increase drag.
With todays gene pool it's really not surprising, 137 pages of crazy people doing what they do best.
On the bright side, I don't think I have been highlighted...........yet!
Stubby Lil goat
Probably not a problem unless they fill the tank. Maybe just taking it home for future use. d.d.
That's true, but with all the high powered big nosed quad cab diesel pickups around?
As long as the tank is full or empty I'd haul it in my pickup
All you guys can keep arguing about that tank . . . how about this guys hat ?!?!?! From the crane incident video a page back . . .
We don't make fun of you, bundled up like a eskimo, don't make fun of how we deal with the heat. We don't get much snow, but the sun from now till mid september is hot hot hot.....
That feller with the hat is trying hard to not become a "red neck".
That style of hat and neck protection is common in the hot areas of Australia, it stops you from getting sunburn and heatstroke - and the latter can kill you.
Along with skin cancer.
The guy with the big hat is wearing short sleeves and the guy with long sleeves has a small hat. I do big hat and long sleeves, the spots on my arms concern me from years past.
I typically wear long sleeves, full brim hard hat, a face shield(a big cloth tube) on my heat to cover my ears, and I'm gtg. Face shield holds sweat really well and keeps you cool. Trick is to never take off your head coverings as you have to re sweat that and have to re drink it.
The Arizona sun can be punishing. I knew of this one guy who always told me about how he had never protected himself from the sun his whole life in construction, and that every year he has to go in and they cut something else off on his face.
How about we just switch to a thawb/thobe on the job site
I would like to know how those guys wear black like that
I can picture that robe getting caught in the works of a cement mixer…..
It's the dress of choice for a machinist.
Pretty sure you would be falling off the mixer tripping over the dress before our ever got tangled up . . . .
Watchin them fellers run for their life when the **** makes me laugh so hard I hurt myself.
Hook the exhaust to the air brakes so when you let off the gas the brakes come on
Well, maybe not a dangerous overload, but a load that's making a heap of trucks work!
A million bucks in tires there !!! lol
Yeah - can you just imagine? - "I think I can hear a tyre leaking down in there? Can you go find it??" LOL
A trailer that expensive probably has auto-inflation system.
...and then it goes haywire overnight and ALL the tires deflate...
That many trucks and drivers trying to work together i bet at least one of them has his truck in reverse when they take off.
Won't do that, each hub has it's own one way check.
And checks always work
I would think so, but I've heard of it happening. Weyerhauser runs them and requires gyppos to run them on certain jobs so there are a lot of log trucks around here with them. Edit- But they also want to be able to lower the pressure when off highway so they can't have checks. Just thought of that.
This rig blew by me at about 80mph on the interstate: Also noteworthy in the past couple weeks, although I didn't get any pics, was a new Honda Ridgeline with gravel up to the top of the "bed sides". Rear wheels were pointing out at about 15* from vertical. Worse yet was a 3/4T pickup pulling a Komatsu PC88MR mid-sized excavator, *** is wrong with people?
I don't go much over 60 mph with a rig like that even with a full size truck pulling it. Too much can go wrong too fast.
People will always find a way to question everything, you don't need them or would use so why would you care. Most all use auto inflate these days with very little issues.
These boys had a little too much water in the back of the truck, it didn't make it around the corner.
You don't know that I don't need or would use them
But he might know that you don't know that you think but don't know that you know that you might never not need them.
I can get onboard with that
Yep
I'm not saying it couldn't do it.. But I have the same Chevy top kick dump, and with a load of gravel in the bed I can barely make it up hills. I cant imagine towing a Hitachi 160.
Not a overload but worth watching.
A bareback I bought some years ago for a ag company I worked for. They rented it for use as a fire tender, while unloading someone forgot to open the vent.
The old hog confinement buildings all used vacuum tanks for clean out, and I don't know how many old rusted steel ones I worked on that got sucked in. It seemed like a lot. See the vacuum tanks mostly for septic tank pumping here. 5-10 lbs of vacuum is a lot of force.
Was nearly enough vacuum to remove chrome from a trailer hitch.
I’ve heard this before tho it was not related to vacuum trucks………
Vacuum water truck I drove from November to today, most vacuum I've seen is 28 in mg and the highest pressure I accidentally had the tank was past 30 psi which is way too much. Tank capacity is 80 bbl and is from 2000. I hauled 640 bbl water today in it and 560 bbl in it yesterday.
Is the fuel cap missing?
And it's a lot harder to design a tank to withstand outside pressure than inside pressure, as someone recently demonstrated.
Depends on gvw
Homemade detach with a nice set of ramps to get over the tires.
I think i saw that on FB market place i need a trailer bad and thought could i build something usable from this but its out of the price range to spend a lot of time on.
Looks to me like someone built that trailer reading the plans upside down!?
Yeah mate, some of the stuff these guys show us over there, would never even get closer to being allowed over here.
For hauling a sprayer?
wow that's a low float. that looks stuck sitting right there.
Allowed is probably my most hated word
People in glad houses and all that…… It never fails to amaze me some of the **** that can be legally towed in the US, or as another example the ridiculous lowboys with a gazillion axles.
Like that?
I would add "compliance"
I was thinking more like this
That would be my guess, but that's one heck of a steep ramp, I would think it would have a hard time climbing over that .
I've got my doubts it's for a sprayer. My sprayer only narrows down to about 11 feet and that trailer doesn't look that wide. Most sprayer trailers have ramps outside the wheels for the sprayer to ride on
Normally around here the trailer is a converted long log trailer.
Agree--and our road beds show it.
Quite the interesting ramps on the trailer. What do you do, park an axle over the tires and swap the ramps from back to front? Whatever it is that climbs those ramps, I don't want to do it with a glaze of ice.
that's a truck! 50K on the drivers?
Far more than that, but at least it doesn't have gazillion axles.
The difference between what is accepted over there v's over here is amazing, two years I took the below for an 800 miles round trip to an isolated private beach in Scotland, this set up was literally kg perfect on the weight limit for the UK. Both driving and towing law and vehicle specified limits, to add if it had been the 7 seat discovery sport version I would have been 250kg over the towing weight limit.
How did it tow? Seems loaded extremely dangerous, loading the last sxs in reverse might be a lot safer.
Absolutely amazing I spent a while changing position with them to get the best balance and this was it, I won't say on an open forum about how late we were for the ferry but still made it . The Discovery didn't even know they were there, and a couple of times I had to remind myself they were back there it towed so smoothly.
These are Rage buggies not the normal Polaris stuff, 1400cc Kawasaki ZZR engine with the 6speed gearbox going to just the rear wheels through a Quaif diff, they are absolutely mental to drive, and given a deserted 1,1/2 mile beach to play on, the smiles are endless
Agreed. 2 YouTube videos, first a 988 being moved in N America, second a 992 (so even bigger) being moved in Europe. The difference in lowboy setups is nothing short of staggering. It also seems as though no-one over there has discovered steerable trailer axles yet……
You guys are obviously allowed more than 34,000lb on a tandem axle ....
See Here Over here under STGO Regs the max is 27.5k pounds on a conventional tandem axle or 55k pounds on an “8-across” trailer axle.
Hey it's a little light in the front. Let's put some weight in the bucket.
I think I'd rather go down to the Titanic in a carbon fiber wrapped tube than drive off hauling that 992.
Bridge laws is the difference in the 988 and the 992 hauling length. everyone here in the U.S, would run short trailers like that if they could. They just won't let us be that short here.
I really dig that convertible look on the 992.
He seemed to make light work of it.
When you see that overpass he had to get under with it you understand why they took the cab & ROPS off.
It looks like a giant war machine in a science fiction movie with the soldier up there out in the open.
That looks great. Do keep in mind though that what is accepted over there can lead to videos like this All-time classic!
992s were always delivered to us with the cab/ROPS removed.
They are tall here too!
I see 209000#+- on the 992. Qualifies as overload of the day.
Speaking of Wheel loaders-The pit I'm hauling out of-the guy's working the pit let me operate a 982M-I destroyed everything in the pit. lol.
There was also a 369 setting there---I wanted to grab something with that-but didn't have time.
Photos or it didn’t happen….!!
I know the young guy running the loader, I only got to drive it around a loop and one scoop. Joy Stick controls which was weird-but it had scales so you knew how much was in the bucket!
That combination under STGO Regs would be rated for a maximum of 330k pounds, so unless the tractor and lowboy were over 120k empty then he wouldn’t have been overloaded.
Pretty sure I would rather have four conventional axles with duals at each end then those goofy 8 across deals. How do you service tires, brakes and bearing on the inside?
The 8 tire axles are common here in California. I don't know what the rules are on weight. California seems very averse to long combinations, they say the roads are too narrow, but in the places that these sorts of rigs would be driving, it seems like any other large state that a longer trailer could be beneficial.
They wouldn’t know a narrow road if it smacked them in the face…… watch this from 6:00 onwards if you want narrow roads.
And on the wrong side of the road too . . .
I rented a diesel Ford Mondeo ( it was the Mondo from the get-go ), and drove up the M6 and into Scotland and around and back. I knew I was in for some shizzle when we left Balloch and started up the A road along Loch Lomond. We would haul arse until we got to a bridge, then the lorries would crawl past each other ahead. I got to that first narrow bridge and the whole area was littered with bits and pieces of car and truck mirrors. Being in a car, I had it easy. Being a truck driver back home I was acutely aware of what a PITA it would be. Then I encountered my first European lorry at a roundabout and knew what bad was.
Joystick steering? Nevermind........should have read to the end.
I believe California, Arizona, and Nevada recognize increased weight for 8 tire axle rows. It gains you nothing in Idaho. @Pops52 would know the answer for sure.
The roads in that video are wide compared to the roads around the thoroughbred farms in Kentucky.
Calif. gives us 60,000 on a 16 tire group with a minimum 5’9” spread
Bridge Laws are only going to get worse. When was the last time any major repair was done nation wide? So it's easy-just add more tires and axles, it keeps the tire and axle companies busy. But don't worry this guy has it handled. *
Are the roads you refer to the equivalent of a US highway (e.g. US 66).? The road in that link is what’s known as an A-road which is one level below the UK equivalent of an interstate.
No. They are county roads.
Hey guys! - did you know that a borrowed Dodge can carry much more than your own pickup?
Ah, so not directly comparable in terms of the amount of traffic they carry in that case.
Nige, I'll get the terminology wrong, but are those old stone fences heritage listed or similar to stop the roads being widened? I would imagine they are hundreds of years old but surely there are hundreds of accidents per year because of them. And in today's litigious society????
The roads in the video you posted would be narrow for a town road in most of the US, much less a state highway. State highway 45 in Northern Wisconsin: View attachment KIMG0314.JPG
There are two names for them as far as I know. The “dry stone wall” which as its name suggests is built using no mortar. The interlocking stones are all that holds it together. The second is what I’ve heard called a “sod hedge” or an “Irish Bank” which is basically a core of field rubble with grass sod laid over the top and sides of it so that it becomes a living, growing organism. Both are equally unyielding when confronted with a vehicle and if you can’t see them there then don’t complain if you run into one….! IMHO they act as an extremely good vehicle speed control method in country areas. That’s certainly the case where I live. There’s nothing necessarily “heritage” about them but if the authorities wanted to widen a road like that one they would have to buy a strip of land from every landowner along the side of the road then pay for the stone walls to be moved back X amount. It’s not going to happen because it would cost an absolute fortune…… @skyking1 would confirm it but you soon learn to drive to the available width of the road. Dry Stone Wall Sod Hedge
Old Bridges, Narrow Road=equal Lyons Ferry. It's so narrow two trucks or busses can't cross at the same time. Trucks run across this daily, and some pushing 170,000 plus. read link at times. Snake River Bridge - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org *
It looks like somebody built it out of a big Meccanno set
Amazing, they tore it down from its original 1927 location, moved it halfway across the state, and put it back up in 1968. Nothing like that would ever happen today. Washington rebuilds an historic steel cantilever bridge as the Lyons In 1968, Washington Department of Highways rebuilds an old steel cantilever bridge as the Lyons Ferry Bridge across the Snake River. The rebuilt bridge spans the Snake near its confluence with the Pa www.historylink.org
That's some cool history @Truck Shop It is like that bridge followed you around a bit I had no idea it was erected at Vantage first. My dad worked on the I-90 projects for Peter Kiewit and sons.
Thanks for reading link. My concern is just how many bridges across the country that are that old and not designed to support the weight of truck traffic no matter how long or axles required. The weight at center span is still concentrated at some point. It's a long ways down to the ------ Snake River below. I've been across it in the tow truck with one in tow, you can feel it. Won't cross it again in my life time in a truck, car yes.
If you stop at the Ginkgo park headquarters right in Vantage you can look down over the cliff on sunny days and see the tops of telephone/power poles still standing just below the surface of the Columbia River below. When Wanapum Dam was built the town of Vantage was moved from the area of the old bridge and gorge up the hill side where it is today. As the water came up the place was just crawling with Buzz Tails, you had to watch where you stepped, plus the scorpions moved with the town. Ginkgo lookout below. *
I worked on a bridge replacement job between Sumner and Puyallup, and had to cross the old bridge with a PC400 excavator. First time I scooted on across and I could feel it, and witnesses said that a lot of debris rained down! I dialed the throttle WAY back on subsequent trips. If you sit on the 66th bridge which is very much the same, you feel each truck go by you. Wife's friend will no longer cross that bridge and sent me this picture.
Infrastructure maintenance has been ignored since 5 minutes after any structure was completed. I guess it is an economic plan, build it, let it deteriorate and make a massive payment when it becomes unusable. Like it or not, infrastructure is just not as glamorous for any and I mean any political figure to throw money at. Only when it arises to crisis level do people start to pay attention. Lots of talk and platitudes, but spend money? No way.
True.
But when I95 collapses on prime time TV the President is flying over the next day and traffic is flowing again in two weeks . . . Lol
Look where it's located and what it feeds. Which bares saying, rebuilt it in two weeks. Lets see some of that in a total construction time, instead of milking it. Get it designed right and right now and get some of that monster equipment moving, not moving dirt from A to B and back to A three times. The airport here started a new maintenance building project about 125'X125'. That was a 14 months ago, still are not finished, milking the Jersey Cow.
The whole point of the bridge law is to not "concentrate" the load at mid span. The longer the vehicle the better the structure is able to handle the load. You can put more weight on a span using a distributed load than a point load. There is a funny thing about steel too, it was elastically deform like a rubber band and be just fine. Its unnerving as hell to feel a bridge moving underneath your feet but as long as the deformations are elastic and not inelastic, the bridge will return to its original shape unharmed. The seat of the pants feel on the other hand is terrifying though *SHOULD* be safe. One of the biggest issues is the structures are allowed to degrade to much before replacement due to cost and politics.
I get that--built in 1927 it's past due. It doesn't take much to figure bridge law theory with axles.
I95 is obviously a much more critical road than some random county road bridge, it just illustrates what can be done when you cut all the red tape and just get working . . .
And to add to the Lyons Ferry bridge-OxBo had to move a boiler to a plant at Lyons Ferry. There was a rail siding to the north, but the bridge couldn't accommodate and even if wide and tall enough they wouldn't be allowed to cross. Even our county wouldn't allow bridge crossings with out spanning those bridges, three of them. And how many axles and tires does this unit have?
I count 14
When I talked to the lead guy running the joy stick to turn this around at a T intersection, each set of four tires on it's own axle because of width, not straight across because each group is independent according to him.
Our 16 tire groups on our everyday lowbeds are the same. (4) 23K axles with a walking beam type suspension on each side. Murray uses a 3 point system with a ball/socket on the front and rear and a short walking beam in between, independent of the other side.
Yeah his basic line was because each are steerable considered independent of one another. It was interesting watching him turn it around at T intersection between two buildings. Done more than once obviously. Plus they were quite the working crew I watched as they unloaded from rail car to open frame lowboy, over three days.
what president?
You just gotta admire this guys steering style - but at least they could've given him a windshield! https://www.reddit.com/r/Bigloads/comments/12z2tyl
Maybe he's like a biker, wants to be "in the wind"
That looks like a good way to get injured. Even just a small pebble coming off the tires and hitting you in the face would do real damage; d.d.
I've seen that done before. IIRC it was a lady and she was wearing a full face motorcycle helmet and jacket.
Don't remember the exact weight of this load, IIRC it was well over 400 ton. Coming down one of three 7% plus grades to Lyons Ferry. I could smell some hot brakes at the rail crossing. *
Toss up that piece Ralph and we got a full load. If I add another extension I can get another tier on the whole truck plus stoop. *
Correction-well over 400,000 lbs.
I am really missing out I know now I have not been loading my truck like I should.
Seeing that load of square bales reminds me of when i was young. I think our highest from field to yard was 13 tiers on an old home-made(not by us) stackmover. There was a bit of an art to placing the bales and a pattern for each tier to ‘tie’ the load together so it could flex without falling apart. Each tier also got progressively smaller than the one underneath it. It was hard enough work to do it once let alone having to redo part of it if it came apart
I don't think that's anywhere close to a overload. Looks like you could have had two more on there, each pair side by side.
We had bridges along the MO River and still have a select few that were built in the 1920s, 8' lanes, NO edge on the lanes, semi's often busted each other's mirrors passing sides opposite directions. Are currently in that phase to bring them all down and replace. Even our old Interstate bridges were a hazard, built in the 1960s they had ten foot lanes, two way traffic then some Enganear comes up with redesign of Side Guard Rails in Concrete as a split Jersey Barrier and a Fifth lane as a second bridge is built to handle increased traffic flows for opposite direction, down to 9' travel lanes.
Saw this contraption Thursday. Couldn't get a great pic as I was piloting the "Old Lady" aka L9000 back to port after dropping off the D3 on a job 10 miles away. In the turn lane waiting for the light and couldn't get a good angle but ya'll get the idea. F150 loaded with crap pulling a camper over its ability. Looked alot worse in person. Pic reminds me I need to get a new fish eye mirror for the drivers side.
Its an Ecoboost. Its fine.....
My mom has a 8,000# bumper pull camper, she toasted her trans on a Chevy(was leaking). She decided to get a new pickup and was told to get a 3/4 ton. I asked her how much she was going to drive the camper, which was not very much. So I told her which do you want, drive the camper 45-55 mph on a 1/2 ton several times a year or drive a 3/4 ton empty all year. She got a 2013 f150, and moves the camper just fine, all though the camper does push that truck around.
Either buy for convenience or duty and deal with the issues from either end. Would rather default heavy than light as the light end generally costs more in the long run in destroyed tires, fuel consumption, damage to drive train, braking systems, chassis and potential for disastrous wrecks.
https://www.nbc15.com/2023/07/12/sheriff-18-year-old-caught-going-91-mph-while-hauling-skid-steer/ LIBERTY Twp., Wis. (WMTV) – A teenage driver was arrested after a Grant Co. deputy reported seeing him going 36 mph over the speed limit in a commercial vehicle that was hauling a skid steer loader on its trailer. According to the Grant Co. Sheriff’s Office, the 18-year-old Abbotsford man was clocked going 91 mph along Hwy. 61, in Liberty Township, where the posted speed limit is 55 mph. After stopping him, the deputy discovered the teen did not have any driver’s license and took him into custody on a count of driving a commercial vehicle without a CDL as well as speeding. After stopping the vehicle, the deputy noted only a single chain bound the skid steer - a type of compact, front-loading tractor - to the trailer and the trailer’s lighting system was not working, the report continued. After securing the skid steer to the trailer, the commercial vehicle was seized and taken to the Sheriff’s Office. The vehicle was later released to a supervisor with the company that owned the vehicle, Area Wide Concrete and Excavating, Sheriff Nate Dreckman said. He added the company was cited for failing to display registration, operating without stopping lights, and improper directional lighting. Dreckman indicated an investigation is still being conducted by the Wisconsin State Patrol and he expects the case to be referred to the Grant Co. District Attorney’s Office.
Finish school or finish concrete
My grandpa used to haul a skid steer with only one chain on the back of a homemade trailer, but I don't think he ever went over 36 mph in the first place, let alone 36 over the speed limit. (The front of the machine clipped into a thing on the trailer made for it.)
Hwy 61 in Grant CTY is not a road you want to speed with a poorly loaded trailer. Maybe not like Birken Vogt's or Truck Shop's neighborhoods, but hilly for the midwest.
Hey now there's money in concrete. If I wasn't moving dirt I'd have a commercial concrete company going after slabs and site work. Sometimes I think about starting a new division..
Finish school (college) with lots of debt or start a entry position in the oilfield for 72k a year
HEF started when 2006 or 7, If this thread had been started then it would be up to 2,145 pages at least. As long as people think it will make it, it will ride, only going 100 miles, just had those checked four years ago, only needs a couple chains well maybe one will do, the plate says GVW of 32,000 they always under rate things it should be good to 42,000, only one tail light works so we'll just go slow, we'll leave early in the morning not many cops around then. * HEF just got started with this thread--there was a whole new crop of zeros born today.
Think of all the revenue in tickets just by what's been posted.
2003 IIRC. I came on in 2007. Now I feel old.
That being the case may as well up it to 3,145 pages.
I worked with a old man that would always tell me - with a cigarette dangling and the gravelly voice of a 40 year smoker "You better finish school or finish concrete".... And I always assumed the point was the money was good in either one, we were pouring concrete at the time. I however, was too young to listen well and didn't finish school, and while I have poured a lot of yards of concrete, its not my current gig.
I'll gladly pay for the privilege of watching somebody else finish my concrete.
Concrete is one of those deals were if you dont know how you can make it alot more work than need be.
Nine months later, no cracks in my slab we did outside of the control cuts. It will crack It will get hard No one is going to steal it.
To put the thread back on track... This is why I don't go to town, when things must go sideways I get to be in the middle of it. Wanted me to try and pull them backwards cause of my 5 ton MV, I said nope call tow truck who is insured for this. Four hours later....
I love that horse supervisor on top of the tank.
Good call Spud! Looks like more parts and pieces heading to the wind farm up by Rock Spring. Lots of money being made on that project but not so much by locals.
Yes you are right. In fact people are selling out now and putting the price real low and posting pictures of before the wind farm is going up in certain picture angle and not telling prospective buyers what they are buying into. Here is a recent one... https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7754-Highway-59-N-Miles-City-MT-59301/252343119_zpid/
Wow what a small world, I think that is Walt's place. He is a real piece of work, he is one of the few people (may be the only one in Montana) that I do not like.
Oh no sounds like a title for a new western movie {Tension at Rock Springs}.
Didn't say that I would be the one finishing..
Oops forgot a picture, this is after the wrecker failed and blew a hydraulic ram. Too bad for them it wasn't the day I was driving my excavator down that road, I would of made a few bucks.
Allot of truck for only a 30 ton unit if that, it's mounted way aft so it has some reach, if it was a 40 to 50 ton it would be mounted about 5.5' ahead. Puny.
I think they hooked too far up forward too trying to bite more than they can chew.
Well that truck has no teeth, just poorly designed dentures.
That describes most services and materials sold here.
Well to put it in perspective, 50 ton. *
Let’s see, lawn chair, popcorn and a couple cocktails. Nice way to spend the afternoon and do some armchair quarterbacking.
I have built some wreckers and winch trucks the first thing i do is look at what i have to work with . If the winch and boom can easily tear the truck its mounted on to shreds then i know it will be something worth having.
Here’s a real man’s wrecker. Guaranteed to lift it up, or die trying.
The 850 was great, I operated one years ago, rated at 40 ton-that's 40 ton on full spools. On the first wrap 48 ton. Holmes rated on full spools. Now the unit that is still highly sought and will sell in less than 24hrs when one comes up for sale is the 1801. All based on the 850 using the 850 mast and spools. *
I also operated one of these-the old company I worked for had a Continental unit. Scary what these could pull, every Continental unit was a animal-built for recovery. Continental didn't come back empty handed. *
I remember Continental from my old days running into LA. Seemed like they were the only ones there with big trucks. One of their KW cab overs (I think)ended up in Santa Maria, the guy that drove it is a friend of mine.
No picture, but . . . 6am, I44 somewhere in Missouri; Ratty early 2000's Chevy 1500 . . . Flat towing another ratty Chevy 1500 on a towbar . . . With a front wheel drive car flat towing on another towbar behind the first . . . Cruising along in the hammer lane at 75. All that's needed is a little rain . . .
Missouri doubles?
Its Ok acoals, they are running around like that all the time. You need to get out more. Its a train of usable cars to mexico. No plates, no insurance, no problems. This was the third one I passed, and it was actually the best looking train. The other cars were much worse.
Same here, trains of them heading to Juarez from the salvage auctions. I asked a cop if they had insurance, he said expect the worst. Joe H
I guess the one I saw at least had a heavy-ish rear wheel drive leading the parade. I will just head back north and stay there, it's entirely too hot down in Missouri, and apparently too close to Mexico . . .
Couple years back I was headed through some small town in the prairies. Look over to the eastbound side of the highway and saw a pickup towing another vehicle with a 30 foot strap at near highway speeds.
I've seen those car trains a lot, it's fing nuts. One time I saw like 5 of them in a row with 3-5 cars.
Have you seen the school buses?
See them regularly on I70 headed W to catch US 54 south and west. Lower traffic values.
Nope,, haven't seen that one- I guess I need to get out more. Its all flat out out there with big ditches- really what can go that wrong? No need to putter along. If you've got a long way to go and a short time to get there....
Who comes to Missouri in late July? What were you thinking? I live here and I want to leave. Come back when wisconsin is butt deep in snow with the wind howling. We get Christmas's with lawn mowing involved. I told the wife the other day that we're going to institute italian augusts. Whole month of august I'm taking off and headed for wisconsin, UP michigan or somewhere with cooler weather. I'll be back in september.
I am not entirely crazy . . . Just a quick work trip, down and back.
WI in Aug, same as AK, mosquitos bis as Hummingbirds and fly in Swarms like Locusts.
Kinda hard to beat 10,000' elevation for cool without bugs. Them Minnesota 'skeeters can stand flat footed and breed a turkey.
Ohh- colorado sounds nice.....
Naw, the mosquito's are in June, they are gone now . . .
you could visit where we are moving. This is most of the summer. 70's for highs and mid 50's for lows. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sequim/98382/weather-forecast/341361
Is 4 outboard motors on a boat a overload? It is when you run into a house with it. Driver arrested after boat crashes into house at Lake of the Ozarks; 8 injured Eight people have been injured, and the driver has been arrested after their boat hit land and crashed into a house at Lake of the Ozarks Saturday night. www.ky3.com
I just love this Jamaican gear change style! Is that why dey call 'em a "crash" gearbox?
I used to drive somewhat like that, if circumstances required and allowed. Somehow, with some Eatons, if you are going up a steep hill in a low gear, if you stab the clutch in and pull it to the next gear very quickly, it will go right in without any crashing, banging, bad noises or fighting. Single clutch upshift just like a car. I think maybe it has to do with the torque unwinding in the driveshaft at the same time as you are making the change. I know it seems like it could be abusive, but it is smooth and it works. And better than climbing the whole hill in 3rd gear or wherever you would be stuck w/o upshifting.
The thing is - you never see a single leg movement from that driver above, with any of his gearchanges. I know a lot of local old-school drivers used to drive, "clutchless" - especially with the older Macks with the Maxidyne transmissions, where the massive inertia in the triple countershafts assisted with clutchless changes. But every one of those clutchless gearchanges by those old-school guys, involved a careful matching of revs and road speed, so the change slipped in steadily with maybe no more than the slightest crunch. However, the Jamaican driver is just slamming from gear to gear without any attempt at synchronisation. I wouldn't like to see how long his transmissions last.
Its impressive but at the same time it looks like a massive waste of effort.
Never enjoyed shifts off the jakes, asking for STHTF
Where I'm hauling out of right now is a gravel road with hairpin turns and 12 plus percent grades. Has to been driven with a head of steam for the short grades or wheel hop will happen once that takes place it's power out. Was always hauled out with ten wheelers before not semi's. Loaded is not a issue it's empty that's a problem. Yesterday a neighboring farmer ran a IH quad track up part of that road on two of the steepest parts, the tracks just wash boarded/tore the surface up, made a mess of it. The one hill I have to hit the bottom at 30 plus then ease out of it for the over 90* hairpin right at the top. You ain't making a gear change even empty on hills like that, road speed drops so fast make your head spin. You drive it like a logger would. It's one thing to be on asphalt totally another on loose ground.
You use the clutch to shift on a big truck? On a 18 speed I will shift going up hills as the splits between gears makes it easy. Everything else I just ride it out. I always leave Jake on and shift, much easier and if you need the Jake's it's already on.
Have not other than certain situations used clutch since 1976.
I can't figure out what those Jamaicans are doing. Any transmission I tried shifting like that would have just ground the gear and spit it back out. Never even come close to going in. But I did not try that very often, only by accident when hit a bump while shifting or something. I was just saying, the low gear uphill clutch stab trick worked with similar speed but it was using the clutch obviously. It only would work for the first few gears, once you got past 3 or 4 it would not work any more and never a range shift. Occasionally could get a range shift in only to find you had "beat" the range section which was still in neutral and had to stop and try again.
Well, I was taught that's the recommended way of changing gears. And you know, Eaton Fuller still don't recommend clutchless shifting, due to the potential for transmission damage. Of course, that potential transmission damage due to clutchless shifting is greatly reduced as your skills and experience increase. I can't call myself a long-distance professional driver, my truck driving has always been a sideline to my main work, which was earthmoving - even though I have owned quite a few trucks, including a couple of Macks.
An old man (Mid thirties) taught me clutchless in 76, shifted most everything since clutchless, 4x4, 4x3, 5x3, 5x4, air shift Spicers and Eatons, two speed diffs. Is entirely about finesse and coordination.
Clutches are for startin' and stoppin', that's how I was learnt too
If you use the clutch on non synchronized transmission you have a bigger chance of messing up the clutch then the transmission. You have to be a complete idiot to mess up a trans.
When in the mountains at slow speeds, steep grades, low gears and road speed is falling off fast during the shift, using the clutch at least some of the time gives me more warm fuzzies that the gear is all the way in. Many times I have shifted too fast and had it spit the gear back out after loading up, and that can't be good for anything. Had the big boss tell us once during a minor rant, we were to use the clutch while shifting. I did for a while but my left knee quickly gave out. What he didn't know didn't hurt him and I never broke one of his transmissions.
Best thing would to go to the doctor with work comp claim, you don't how that will affect you in the future
That was ages ago, I know when to stop before it becomes a problem and stay away from the doctor mostly.
The old trick with 3 position jake-use two cylinders, causes rpm to fall faster for down shift. Years ago a pair of vise grips on the return line was common, but it causes slow rpm deceleration. So in order to down shift or up shift loggers would use the jake to control rpm shifting. Plus most had the pump shimmed for higher rpm, you could always tell it had seen some high R's, the bottom rod bearings would be as worn as the top. * Lets see---I've been driving class 8's since 1975. kind of a dumb question.
I even float the gears in my synchronized 5, 6, 7spd Eaton medium duty transmissions. Eventually it seems to wreck the synchros but I care less about that then wrecking my knee.
Truck shop check who I quoted
Yep. On a steep hill with an 18 speed I'll give the clutch a quick stab even when shifting the splitter in the low gears. It's the gentlest way to grab more gears and not run the risk of the splitter not making the shift and coming to a stop. Then ease it up half a gear at a time that way until about 4th gear. Shifting with the clutch has it's place and they're cheaper than transmissions.
Transmission, drive axle & clutch damage without using clutch, all depends who's behind the wheel. Some can tear up those components with or without. Years ago a owner operator I knew traded his 87 W900 with 1.2 million-original clutch original trans, one front drive changed out. He was the only one behind the wheel, if he took time off it was parked. When he left town headed for Denver the clutch pedal was never touched until his next break or fuel stop. All this talk-it depends on who's setting in the seat and paying the bills. Once a driver develops bad habits there hard to break, as the day wears on and the hours go by and the more tired a driver gets the sloppier he gets. Plus anyone who says they make perfect gear changes every time is full of crap/
I do to i broke my left hip and try to save it as much as i can. I have never had a problem one 4 spd i owned had 400.000 miles on it doing this.
With a neighbor like this I don't have to go anywhere for "Overload of the Day" pictures. Get all the free entertainment being at home. My rigs might be old and tired, but they pulled them more safely than this MOD EDIT is doing. Notice the temperatures out here...
That's right. I get tired of all the Super Trucker talk, then listen to them pull out . .
My takeaway from this is lot of it probably has to do with your operating environment. If you spend your time on the superslab in flatlands your driving style is going to be different than if you're always starting and stopping on steep ground. I guess the best thing to do is what works best for you where you're at.
I'll agree with that and add, if a old boy is offering advise don't talk just listen.
Being a frameless I wonder about pinning the fifth wheel. *
Looks stable enough where it is at, but when that rear axle walks into that gutter one wheel at a time, not so good. What material are they dumping there?
Not ever seen a frameless on a free fifth wheel, that stated would not ever chance doing as that fella did. witnessed enough after carnage of grain tubs laid over to not ever feel the need to challenge.
Just dawned on me, he is going to have to drag that off that drive UP as the truck cannot walk sideways to let it down, trailer or truck MUST roll away from the other to lower, load will not allow trailer to drop rearward.
Market garden delivering a a few years supply of potatoes? Maybe it wasn’t a full load and most of it was at the back of the trailer, in which case maybe he can avoid catastrophe. I’d be putting a few blocks of wood in the gutter on the far side the same height as the driveway to keep the trailer from leaning as it transitions back onto the street
If it is not all the way 90 degrees to the street/driveway the truck can/will roll forward as the trailer lowers, quite a bit due to the angle but it has to happen, same way as he dumped it. Definitely glad there are no overhead wires in that neighborhood.
If that's a full box, it's definitely coming out into the street too! On the picture. Above: Climbing up out of Jackson, Wyoming. Heading to Idaho was where I saw a runaway ramp where the trucks had to come through traffic to get to it. That was a sobering thought. I think there was a pretty wide long shoulder there so you could take your shot at it.
On the end dump, I think I see daylight on top of the pile and hardly any skid mark on the concrete for a jack-knife like that. That pile looks like less than a 10 wheeler load........Hmmmmmmm
So more of the case of everything is a nail When all you have a hammer you only had the one box to work with.
One of the very few escape ramps like that. That Jackson grade is 10%.
Then there is this ramp where the ramp is downhill (best they could do I guess) and if you make it through the piles at the end you go down the bank onto the railroad. Happened more than once here. Google Maps Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. www.google.com
I see so many picture that make me wonder what is going on why are they doing that to start with?
So true
There's one like that on the Lewiston grade at the bottom just as you enter town. When the newer Lewiston grade opened in the 70's there was a incident at the first or second ramp don't remember which. A Ryerson steel truck from Spokane came down used the escape ramp. Problem was it was froze solid, it never sank. It is a ramp that dips and then goes up hill. It was a ramp alright, he shot right off the end, air born. It is said you can still hear the echo of him screaming in canyon. A fault in the design of the ramp drainage. The Old Lewiston Grade is called the Spiral Highway which is correct, nothing but switch backs. Lot of wrecks on that many years ago.
Overload of the powers of observation.
Oops. Least he had his machine chained on good.
Good grief,hauling a crawler tractor around in the back of a truck.The driver will say the train is at fault for not having a car or 2 hooked behind that overhang.
Nice, that tractor and truck wasn't worth much anyway.
I can see the truck driver being impatient for the train to pass, I skipped ahead in the video because I was tired of waiting too.
Gun jumper.
I think you'll find, if you take a close look, that crawler wasn't chained on at all. It simply hooked on the truck sideboard, and dragged the truck over with it. I gotta admit, I've just developed a whole new level of respect for Kamaz trucks! Did you note there was no cabin distortion when it smacked into the road surface, and the windscreen didn't even crack?
Looks like the train was stopping right there too, I doubt the conductor stopped because of the wreck
Just got lucky was all.
I think you're correct, everything was slowing down at the end when it happened and simply didn't have the energy to do more than lay it over. Either way I reckon old mate driving had to go and change his pants soon after. And I reckon the story he tells of how it happened will be a bit different to what we actually saw.
Just a load. If I raise the box right I can disappear 11.5 tons of pea gravel.
Just a little cribbing, what could possibly go wrong?
Crane operators flip cranes over every day, with proper cribbing! This guy is setting out to make a proper spectacle of himself on the "crane fails" YooToob channel!
Newer Ranger pulling a 4000lb tractor with a 3500lb single axle trailer. Making a left turn on to a two lane 65 mph state highway.
According to the specs I found, the Kubota L2501 tractor is 2600lbs and the LA525 loader is another 800lbs, making 3400lbs in total. I'd have to opine he's legal.
Have the weight of trailer as well to add on that 3400.
Yes, it all depends on whether that's a 3500lb load capacity trailer, or a total gross trailer weight capacity of 3500lbs. I know, around here, trailer weights are gross capacity, and a common trailer size locally is 2000kgs (4400lbs) capacity - so every second trailer hauler thinks he can haul 2000kg (4400lbs) on it! Most of these local trailers weigh around 750kgs (1650lbs), so the maximum hauling capacity is actually only 1250kgs (2755lbs) - but it's common to see a heavy 4WD weighing 2000kgs or even more, being hauled on a 2000kg capacity trailer here.
Single six lug axle, the tires are the load limit, 3500# axle means likely 3000# capacity JUNK Tires.
I had the overload of the day-finishing field-didn't want a split load. So he carefully maneuvered the bankout wagon and filled every void right up to tarp bows with hard red. Truck/trailer- it wallered around like a pig coming down the hill, rolled across elevator scale at 94,560 on five axles. 4 pm on a Sat afternoon wasn't too worried, kept it under 45.
Dad has told me of his time in the red hats (Mobil maintenance) of doing that at Homer city power plant to rebuild coal mills. Crib up the rt and flat boom it in to pull them apart. Way he talked the blocking was 4 feet high or so.
Perfectly legal farm use... that's what they say around here
Not around here they don't.
Looks like 5 stud hubs to me - one wheel nut for each spoke, and there's 5 spokes. The other problem besides the JUNK tires, is that alloy auto rims have a lot less load capacity than a steel rim. I won't use alloy rims on any trailer of mine, but I see them all the time. If people checked the actual rim load capacity of those alloys, they'd get a little surprise.
94,560 lbs is 42,903kg - we haul up to 42,500kg legally on 5 axles everywhere here (single steer, tandem drive tractor, tri-axle trailer), but the axle spacing must be adequate. https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201607-0116-mass-and-dimension-limits.pdf
For us it's the farmers thinking there about the rules it's a bit sickening at times
About 25 years ago, before "good" cell phone cameras, Ness Crane here in Seattle had a pick off the top of a building. It tool an evening to set up the cribbing all 12x12 timber mats to get the nose of the crane 20 feet above the street level. (Seneca Street) they rolled the 500 ton machine up on it and leveled out with the back sitting on the street. Then more time to rig the luffinng jib at which point both 4th and 5th avenues became closed to traffic. All was ready about 4 AM on a Sunday. they made the pick off the roof in less than 15 minutes. Then the tear down started. By noon on Sunday trolley catenary lines were being restrung and by 3 PM everything was back to normal. 23 hours for a 15 minute pick, and it was an insurance job to boot. The insurance representative was there the whole time just fretting and fuming over the cost. In addition to the 500 ton machine, there were two 75 ton machines doing set-up. I was there just to watch, I was doing the electrical on the building so I just set up my lawn chair and enjoyed the show. It was fun watching a competent operation in action. Not a wasted move, not an unsafe moment.
That sounds like it might have been a good job for a helicopter.
The building is surrounded on three sides by buildings twice as tall. On the 4th side across the street is a building about half again as tall. I suspect a helicopter wasn't in the plans because of interference from the other buildings. Now that you say it, a helicopter never came up during job meeting when discussing the pick. Also, getting permission to fly in such a congested area might have nipped it in the bud also.
Seneca is a steep bugger indeed. I took a bus up there and got off on Seneca and 6th and ran down to the waterfront in the morning. I know where you are talking about. Luckily the afternoon bus picked up on 2nd
I'm pretty sure the loader weight doesn't include the bucket. Either way, the tires had an excessive amount of camber because all the preload and then some was gone out of the axle. I sent the pic to a friend and he noticed something we missed. It's held down with 1" 500lb WLL ratchet straps.
Worst I ever dragged to the Elevator here was 94,600 gross, just another day. Did not think was gonna get the tarp across the mounds in that tub!!!
A former employer had a 360 ton liebherr AT. I think all of it was 14 semi loads. It was a man killing SOB. Most places don't have a "full crew" that just runs a crane that size- cranes that size just don't go out everyday. So whenever ours went out, all us operators had our "daily" work crane jobs first, then spend all night putting the 360 together. Then it would make a pick that night if there was a street closure, or likely the next day. So after it made the pick the next day- me and all the other guys had their 'daily" smaller crane work, and then that night it was tear down the 360 ton and take it all home. Couple events like that a month, and everyone is sick and tired of the 360 ton and hates its operator- even though its not his fault.
3 husky straps from he depot with 300 wll
single steer, tandem drive, two axle trailer with a tongue 2' short for bridge.
Somehow I don't think Missouri has this terrain, over a ridge on a field road 10% up then 12% down, not long but steep.
My apologies, I meant to write "6 axles", not "5 axles" - I need to proof read better. We can legally haul 39,000kg (85,950lbs) on 5 axles here - you don't get allowed any more than 5% overload, which is classed as "minor risk", where the fines are moderate. But between 5% and 20% overload, you will suffer some serious penalties - and you have to unload, virtually on the spot.
1 + 2 + 3. I make that 6 axles unless I’m missing something. In U.K. 6 axles gives you a legal maximum of 97k, on 5 axles it would be 84k.
Not so much terrain here but SOFT, Field loading in the bottoms can be a Bit Dicey then the trip to Elevator concerning!!
Living out here will teach you how to secure a load. Tie it down as if you are going down the street/highway and you will lose something in 10 miles, especially after a rainstorm or snow melt. So you think you got lucky and nothing falls off, welp coming up this 35 plus percent grade has on worse days the 6 x 6 spinning tires and going backwards if not careful, and sideways going down, so your load tries to do the same.
No one in Missouri knew how to build a cut and fill road so there's plenty of short, steep grades. I have a friend that drove a Model T down as much of 66 as they could manage between Chicago and LA. The hardest going they had was Missouri. That includes dirt roads that haven't seen a grader in a decade through Arizona and New Mexico.
Lots of them steeper than that here, luckily, most are all paved. That's a bitch in gravel to not spin and rough it all up. Pick a low gear and smooth and slow. Had a OTR delivery yesterday at my shop with a auto transmission. I didn't think he was going to make it out my gravel driveway, every time he'd get a little run, the truck would try to shift, instead it would just spin. And then he was stuck. Eventually he made it out, but its so nice in a manual to just stick it in second or third and walk it on up the hill. Evidently its tough to do that in the new auto shift manuals.
Depends on age of truck, most built in last 15 years have a manual mode.
Missouri-the show me state.
I realize it's hard to tell from this angle-what's the guess at percentage of grade on road in back ground, mind you I'm actually looking down at it from this point.
Looks like close to 100%? 45 degrees. Paddle tires for trucks.
Slopes never show real well in a picture, they are always steeper than it looks in a picture. The bottom part of that road is real steep, it flattens out toward the top. Sure doesn't look like a 6th gear hill loaded up. Looks a lot more like 2nd or 3rd. And I like low geared rears.
88,000 in second, just over that it was just as steep with stop sign at the bottom.
The worst is being in the throttle in second, and it starts losing the battle with the hill. Better be quick to first or willing to back down and give it another go. I'd rather back down than lose a driveline.
that is a hard lesson. Backing down also has all the bonus of running out of air too.
It's really not that hard to perform-there's switches on the dash back it down on the jake-controlled. Estimate the gear and go one lower.
15%
Very close 16%
Wildly misinterpreted information about grade
One reason I like a trans with ratios like a RTLO14613B, low is 14.71 with slightly wide ratios in under with a .85 overdrive. The standard 13 speed in low has a average ratio of 12.56 with a overdrive of .87. So with drives like 3.70 the 13B makes up the difference.
it's all ok.
Next trailer will have taller sides.
Are a few spots as Antire Rd hill in St Louis County, or the drags along 44 from Rolla West to Lebanon. A few are 4-6% just not severely long. Farm roads in the ‘foothills’ regions of the Ozarks as here tend to be Long Steep and curved, add to that at the low spots water crossings. Not so fun when cannot pull in but have to back in with no turn arounds on properties albeit a tub or short end dump even a regular Quad dump. CO has seen and been on them as I, Couer d Alene north thru Lake Pend Orielle was similar to Ozarks country as visited my family there.
Most pull A trains average 105,500.
Smaller truck, GMC Top Kick, Trailer & backhoe It is NO fun at all backing down a steep hill. It's counter intuitive to back in neutral, but reverse causes the front tires to skid sideways. Turn the trailer brakes down, trans in neutral works best. Might say a prayer to not run out of air. DO NOT PUMP THE BRAKES! Vermont has lots of 20% grades, many unpaved. Not unusual to unload the trailer & drive the truck & trailer empty up the hill. My old truck would run short of power loaded heavily, newer one climbs until it runs out of traction.
I had one of these "moments" many years ago while moving a portable steam generator in the oilfields east of Santa Maria. We never even bothered hooking up the glad hands as the brakes on these didnt work anyway. Long 3 axle trailers that didn't bend, climbing a narrow curved road up to a well site. Lost traction in the 1st curve and stopped. Tractor brakes would only hold me still if my foot was on the floor. So, shoved it into reverse and started backing down, 1 shot at this and used the jakes a couple times at low rpm. Got down about 300" to a flat spot and called for a grader to help me up then checked my shorts. I didn't care much for moving generators.
Lease roads are the best roads
No stop signs......
Only a couple farms north and east of here run A Trains, most are B trains standard configure. The guys with the A's hoppers are bigger than a twin hopper single side so end up with near to same tonnage or Bushel loads per trailer as a Tandem B Train but in ONE trailer of two. Can see 105xxx on a set.
Now you've got me started. My ford pickup has a slope indicator built into the dash, so on my way back from springfield, you've got me wondering what some of the hills I regularly drive are, and what the steep ones around are. So lets start with the marked ones. There's only a couple, and I tried to get pictures of the ones I know are marked. 1st is over by the hospital, marked at 15% I showed about 8 degrees on the truck, so that comes out to a little over 14% Next one marked is over by James epps, marked at 12% and I was showing 6-7 degrees on the truck. So also pretty close to signage. Headed down to the charcoal plant they have marked at 12% and I was showing 6 on the truck, and maybe I missed the steep spot. It seems to make a small difference if I'm going downhill or up in the truck, especially if you are on the brake or throttle, you can get close to a degree difference. That hill also has a " no engine brake" sign right after the 12% sign which I always ignore.
Next up is climbing out of the charcoal plant, they've got it marked as 15% and I was only showing 7so I think that one is a little over estimated, but the downhill side also has a little more slope there, and I was on the uphill side. We'll call it within the margin of error. Last one marked is on 376, first picture is from the bottom. I was showing a hard 8 all the way up which converts to 14%- and they've got it marked as 19%, so I think they are being a little excessive on its marking.
So only 5 marked hills, from 12-19% around town. Now lets talk about the steep ones. Halfway from Springfield to Branson is a little town of Saddlebrooke. Its got a road from the top to the bottom down a ridge. Its the worst up by the top, bottom starts out at 5-6 degrees, the top little part by the corner hits 12 degrees. Which is just over a 21 percent slope. We've set a lot of fancy house trusses up there, but we can go around this hill a different way, and usually do. Four miles south, I've got a guy with a place south of 160 that we've got to move some conex's on his yard. Its got a 10 degree slope on the paved road, which comes out to 17.6 %.
MODOT did us no favors up here, no special slope signs, worst we have is a small county road known to locals as Suicide Hill, been cut down somewhat, is only 21% grade now, still Gravel, drops to Loutre River Bridge on one side, the other a damned near square bottom to farm fields. The other is Gasconade Hill, 9% headed West, 18% right off the Gasconade River bridge coming East.
Highway 65 from Springfield to Branson is the main 4 lane, and it runs 3-4 on the truck, which comes out to a 7 percent, there's one that's a little steeper than that, but most of the hills run about the same. In the cranes we usually take highway 13 which parallels 65, but the hills are 1/2 as steep. Next up is once we get into town. Knox road comes off the river/ lake at taneycomo. Its got gates at the top and bottom because its got a tight corner at the bottom, and if it snows or ices, you ain't getting around on it. It comes in at a cool 13 degrees on the truck. Which nails 23.09 on the percentage calculator I'm using to convert. Its ties for #2 on steep streets I drove on the way home.
If we head over into the old part of town across the tracks, we run a 12 degree on the way down into alexander park, and a 9 coming back out the other way. We took a tree off a house in there last week with the 100 ton. We went in the 12 way and out the 9. 21 and 16 % for you guys keeping track. Then there's a tight little up and down in Hiawatha Heights, which is also a 12 degree, and you get a nice 6 degree when you get up to the stoplight. Said stoplight is usually avoided by us.
Pretty nifty. Those hills down south are no joke! It was on our list of things to see, the North Arkansas hot springs too. We had a stop planned at Gaston's resort on our flying trip. https://www.gastons.com/gallery/ It was solid overcast and low ceilings that day and we had to divert to Kirksville. That was quite the experience on a Sunday. My wife had open toed shoes, painted nails, and bare shoulders. Oh the HORROR!
Seattle is full of 18% plus, the steepest is E. Roy on Capitol Hill, 21%.
After you jet across town, there's another bad stoplight at the IMAX theatre. Its a stinking 8 degrees on the pickup at the bad spot (14 percent), and we also go around this light with the cranes. You can cut around Ricky Bobby's gas station and up by the Cracker Barrel and miss the light. Because if you don't, its pretty easy to leave a driveline lay if you're the second vehicle back, and don't hit the light on green. The light is up ahead at the top of that left hand curve. Ricky bobby's is on the left and you can just cut around. After the IMAX light, you can jet on across 76 and up 376 (the one marked 19% and head over to the shop. My shop hill is a steady 7 on the pickup in each direction, except for one steep short spot going each way that hits 8. I can tell you exactly where each one is, because we drive either way every day leaving with the cranes. There's no other way around, its literally uphill both ways. And we aren't at the bottom of the hill... So we always get to crack a 14% every morning, and I've fixed at least 4 drivelines on the east side. Its a shorter steeper hill than going west, with some curves, and new employee's usually miss a shift there. Then they try to grab a gear that they have no idea if its going to work, and there lays a driveline.
Missouri isn't on the list. Where are the 11 Steepest Streets in the USA? See the Ranking, including Waipio Valley's 45% Descent Technical ranking of the 11 steepest roads in the US. See the ful www.dangerousroads.org
Gotta Love Ozark Plateau
They have not been to Hermann.
Last up that I drove today is just over the hill from the shop by the lake. We've been building a bunch of cabins over there, and there's one little short hill. Most of the drive down in there is a 10 degree (17%) and they have a little side spur to some AirBNB rentals. It hit the steep spot for the day on Majestic Circle- its a 14 degree (24.93) at the curve. Its as you head off to the right in the picture. At the bottom are the cabins, and that's where I saw my steep angle for the day. There's two cabins alike down there, we set both sets of trusses with my little galion. The south one my truck hit 16 degrees (28.6%) in the driveway.
This is fairly funny-I got CO to drive around taking a day off.
Anybody that builds a 16 degree slope for a driveway, deserves what they get. There's a little subdivision south of the lake that I set some hot tubs at years back- I think its steeper than the street I was on today. There's also a spot over by paradise point that's pretty steep. Some of the construction stuff gets way worse. Some of those jobsites you just have to get a dozer or big excavator and use them to help you walk in and out with the crane. Its just too sketchy to drop off over the edge by yourself. I was just curious too truckshop, how were you measuring the slope with hauling out grain? I had never messed with the slope indicator in my pickup, and I got to reading that some GPS units can show slope also.
And why does angle convert to grade?
You would think I'm some old retired guy with nothing else to do.
Is Taum Sauk as high as this.
T-town is mostly one way with the truck too. I have some runs I can make up the hill, but never with the big excavator. If you are moving in the rain, be ready to use the johnson bar. That excavator will take the truck around for a ride, trying to make a downhill turn. It never got beyond a bad greasy feel for me, but I was ginger on the controls. The johnson did the trick and the only times I have ever used it.
Vertical rise in a 100'. Plus Dwight told me the % from when roads were cut. There's one I went down with partial load to move to new loading area a ridge over, that one can't be climbed with a truck. 34%.
Wouldn't know, never been there. They could say whatever they want in the books, they'll have to show me how high it is.
there is a house with a stupid driveway like that, brand new. We have seen all sorts of shenanigans there. The driveway parallels the road so it is there for all to see. I don't think you can escape that yard on an icy morning. Not on foot either.
Its real nice down there by gaston's and the dam on Bull Shoals. I actually prefer the driving over by Ponca and Jasper on the buffalo river. We've done some hiking and driving over there, and its some pretty country.
it's one of the most picturesque aviation resorts, a grass strip along the lake where you taxi up to your cabin. I hope to get there some day.
Well you need to be a old guy and go there.
I could tell some stories about oil lease roads but no one would believe them…..
Last winter with snow on the ground, fully overloaded water truck at 60k#, I went down a lease road hill that I should have used chains to get down. Locked up the tires instantly so I turned straight into the rocky wall to slow the truck as it was much better than going off into a small creek from the turn at the bottom of the hill. It was a super rough ride hitting my head on the roof, broke the tilt lock but I think the truck made it out okay. Best part guys said I could have went a easy way through a field to a less grade lease road, thanks guys for telling me now.
A test patch of road headed north to Lyons Ferry 5 miles long built for 250 MPH, smooth as glass in the middle of nowhere.
Alright, I'm firing up the 5 ton tomorrow and breaking out a level, angle finder and my camera. Y'all asked for it.
I hauled rock up a couple miles of logging road that the engineer said was 28% average from bottom to top, but there were flatter spots in it, so no idea what the steep parts were. Came down the bottom half mile empty backwards unless you had lockers, which I didn't. My coworker put in a career in log trucks and when asked if he'd haul logs down it, replied "I'd quit". Never heard of anyone having trouble on that road, though.
This hill is on a main road near here. Explore if you want. Also it snows a lot up here. There is a more level road but it is side hill, very curvy, narrow and long. Google Maps Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. www.google.com
Somebody should take the angle gauge to some of the roads in and around Scranton PA . . .
Lease road of the day today, this spot is smoother than the rest of the road
Here… hold my drink, and don’t be sneaking sips out of it…
that does not appear to be a road.
You have to make it to the top to count . . .
Was the tank full of water?
Anywhere is a road in that thing! Trees in the way or I would have dropped it down to low and went up and on over. In these you can’t go reverse in low on the transfer case or it will destroy them. Yep 1500 gallons.
First round with this, the town idiot saw me driving by, decided to follow me in his Ford Ranger 4x4. I'm climbing 15% grade newly graded by the town. Gravel surface was soft. When I spun out I decided I'd back down to unload. My destination was 1/4 mile. 1300 LB truck unloaded towing a 6000 LB trailer loaded with a 15000 LB backhoe. Each try to back, front wheels locked & slid sideways. I couldn't find the town idiot in my mirrors, but knew he was there, I had seen him before. As I tried to back, he laid on his horn. I was stuck there unable to get off the brake to tell him he had to back up so I could back up. Must have been 15 minutes me praying I wouldn't run out of air. My son came along from behind & explained to said idiot he would have to move or this was going to go horribly wrong!.
My brother used to drive one of those 6x6 when he was a volunteer fireman, said it could go through ditches if you wanted too. Forgot I filmed this awhile back.
I use ditches when I have stuff shipped in to align the rear of that rig with the trailer deck since I'm higher up than a dry van. Or if someone brings something out with a pickup I put the flatbed level with the ground using the ditch. Want to load an ATV, let me find a ditch if you don't have ramps.
The way it was done in the olden days, I remember most all farms had a dugout for two ton trucks to unload equipment or what ever.
We had some extra dirt after the foundation for the new house so we made a ramp the same height as the deck on the trailer. Just back up into the bank and drive on/off what ever is on the deck. Best 1/2 hr we spent. Cam
Terrex Herder asked a question about degree of slope where we were cutting grain, can't find his post so I'll put it here because we were talking about grade. We just finished cutting the steepest ground Dwight farms, I asked him if the combine has a slope gauge, he said no it doesn't but will level the combine up to 35% at maximum travel of the leveling system. The ground we cut yesterday was around 44 to 45%, combine was listing an extra 9 to 10% according to the cheap gauge he installed.
So what you are saying is that you boys would plant wheat on the sides of Devil's Tower if you could get it to grow . . .
Not my picture or truck...
And therein lies an excellent lesson in proper load restraint, to meet the expected worst road/traffic conditions. Those steel sheet coils are unbelievably heavy. I can recall a local fatal crash here, about 20 yrs ago, we had an old major East-West highway with poor road engineering. On long downhill grade, there was a nasty little LH curve with a variable radius, and the camber on the curve was wrong, it sloped to the outside of the curve. A semi-trailer carrying 2 x 5 tonne coils of sheet steel at the front RHS of the curtainside trailer was barrelling down this grade at probably 105kmh, on the governor - and a local senior politicians wife was approaching from the opposite direction in her Range Rover, at approximately the same speed. As the truck got to the curve, the driver must have jerked the wheel a little, to meet the unexpected variable radius in the curve - and the 2 x 5 tonne coils of sheet steel broke free of their restraints, and rolled straight out through the curtain, and one landed right on the hood of the Range Rover, and went through the cabin. The poor woman didn't stand a chance, it was a one-in-million timing event. The politicians and authorities soon snapped into gear, and the highway was totally rebuilt, widened and re-routed, to a far safer highway level.
Not as extreme as that coil mess in the photo, but years ago, I saw what must have been an "elderly" flatbed with a coil sitting on the ground between the tractor and the trailer wheels. The coil appeared large enough that I could only assume the trailer frame rails had spread to drop the coil on the pavement. No injuries it appeared, just a coil sitting on the ground with truck and trailer immobile. Right in the middle of "old" I 90 climbing hospital hill west of North Bend.
I remember seeing a photo of some thieves trying to steal a coil like that. They backed their pickup to the trailer and pulled out the blocking to roll the coil off the trailer. The pickup was about 3 inches tall after impact.
There's a semi that hauls the coils from the rail a couple miles up the road to a pipe manufacturer, they load like 5 coils on the trailer, must be heavy. Water trucks when in a crash the tank shoots forward like a missile usually killing the driver.
Correct. The top soil in many areas can reach well over 200' deep. The other is the amount of rain that can fall in this area during spring.
Lets not talk about crashes, I cleaned up too many of those, 95% were caused by stupidity or arrogance.
Quote of the week, TS. Right there with wildfires.
I shuttle a 14600 LB dozer between home & "the land". At the land I cross other's property steep on a Right Of Way. Truck won't tow the trailer up the steep when loaded. You'll see in the Thumbnail picture, I use a loading dock each end. Just a boulder wall laid steep, with more rock behind it. Actually, quite convenient.
Couldn't find any info other than last week.
That looks like the sort of thing you'd see in a rough neighbourhood of LA? - not way out in SW Iowa? Now I did hear that there was a bit of an ag tyre shortage, but I didn't think it had got that bad yet!
Farm equipment gets roughed up around here all the time.
Not really an overload(well maybe I loaded it a couple thousand heavy)loaded uniformly,we had an East frame end dump lay over on its side.At least the tractor kept its feet on the ground.I was 2 counties away from the dump site so no pictures available.
I suspect that combine was on its way to a dealer from the factory. Combines have gotten so heavy for some destinations the tires have to be shipped separately.
we buried a couple of logs in the bank up where we logged in 1980. I got to the turnout but did not break through 42 years of growth to get to our landing. I doubt we wasted tamarack for that, or it would still be there and usable.
Depending on if it had duals or not, most out here have duals for stability as far as Deere goes.
About the only reason you ship combines with no wheels is to keep the height down where there's height restrictions. We have a few trailer manufacturers here who build special trailers to haul combines, the outer sections are dipped lower to the road, so the height stays under the limit (4.3 metres here) without needing overheight permits. But these trailers are becoming lower in number every year, as standard drop-deck trailers and the steady removal of height-restrictive infrastructure, means they're needed less and less with every passing year. Haulmark | A Symbol of Quality Engineered for resilience, built for the extremes. Haulmark crafts high-quality semi-trailers, designed to conquer the rugged terrains of Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia. haulmark.com.au
There's a few farmers around here with special built combine trailers, but most all have a shop big enough to work on them on the farm. Or have a mobile come out. In most cases the header is removed and roaded.
I saw one today on I-80 WB in Reno. F-whatever probably 550 the kind with just a crew cab, frame and 5th wheel hauling 3 cars plus a Apria healthcare van on a car transporter with 3 single tire axles. Could not get a pic, busy driving but he was going slow and had not even hit the Sierras yet, was out by Boomtown. I thought the DOT had been cracking down on these hotshotters but there seem to be more of them. Whatever the situation the big Truckee coop was up ahead so they were going to look at him one way or another.
Price of fuel dictating freight caused them to grow.
Most of the dealerships here have their own tractor/trailer units, usually neck detach style with outriggers or aprons that can handle the biggest combines and tractors with duals. That’s just for local but from the factory and long distances usually the duals are separate to be installed at the dealer
This guy has to be in the front-running in the overload stakes ....
He was leaving floida.
Nah, there is still room next to that red chair, Amateur!
First bridge or powerline he comes to should be exciting.
reminiscent of the Ikea commercial
and good riddance to him
You know the guy?
Got to be photoshopped. Tires aren't squished, suspension isn't bottomed out.
Nope - it's 39 secs in, from the start of this YooToob video ..... I just clipped a couple of screenshots from the video to produce the two photos. I reckon he must've ordered the E55 heavy duty suspension option, with the 14 ply tyres.
No, just liked this place much better when the population was much smaller.
If you left, then the population would be smaller and then other people could enjoy it more?
Interesting concept but not too practical
Or safe
This crud started at 9:00 pm Friday with the double set of vans hitting a abandoned car along side I-84 west bound a half mile west of Biggs Junction Ore on the Columbia river. Then at 12:30 am Saturday a ODOT warning vehicle and tow trucks were parked on the shoulder, the fuel transport hit the ODOT vehicle and it landed in the river. Tanker was empty headed to Longview. The emergency vehicles had all lights flashing. * I got a first hand view of this mess at 6:30 am on the way to Brooks antique truck show. *
Gonna need a dive team to help out the wrecker.
Possibility it will be removed with barge/crane, no need to tie up highway. Plus it's all a total loss.
I forgot-the rumor is the doubles driver had just left the truck stop at Biggs, was wrestling with a roller dog and reaching for a Little Debbie snack when he hit the abandon car. * If one really knew.
I would like to trust that truck drivers have skill levels greater than the very stupid drivers filling up internet 50 worst driver videos. I'm probably giving too much credit. Lose your concentration, or look away 3 seconds, a lot changes.
As we passed and after for the next hour on our way to the truck show a discussion started between the four of us about just this kind of crap. A rough estimate of total miles driven between the four of us in the car 14.5 million. The amount of crazy *** driving maneuvers seen by all four of us-we couldn't possibly remember them all. Last winter Wes who put this trip together narrowly missed having himself, the truck/trailer he was driving totaled. Had he not followed his gut feelings and backed his truck up about 200' on the shoulder from another wreck-he no more than moved it a truck come sailing by on black ice and crashed right where he was setting. It's stupid out there Willie.
Removal of the wreckage is on u tube this morning Most Dangerous Recovery To Date- Semi Hauling Double Tanker & Double Trailer Both of these accidents are due to not slowing down and moving over. Hit the subscribe button. Leave a comment. Northwestern Towing https://www.northwester... www.youtube.com
ODOT had video on it yesterday.
https://people.com/nebraska-driver-bull-in-passenger-seat-7964133
Nebraska bull---raaccckkkk.
Bugger, I just come across this and was going to post it up, but spud beat me to it. Dunno why I spent a couple hundred k on my new truck a couple years ago, I just could have done this. They said in the video that he wasn't overweight, dunno that car had a pretty good lean on the passenger side. Youse must have better springs over there than we do.
Damn, going down a rabbit hole, I'm going to have to drag out my pictures from Iraq. Nissan truck hauling a cow in the back in Tel Afar, Iraq. They must have better springs too.
The Asians beat you all, hands down. In 'Nam in 1970, we had a Vietnamese guy in a Lambro 550 drive right past us when we were rebuilding Route 2, North of Ba Ria in Phuoc Tuy province - and he'd managed to fit a Water Buffalo into that Lambro!! Didn't get a photo of it, wish I had've - too busy looking out for VC and mines and booby traps! Another time, a Lambro pulled up to discharge its passengers so it could get past our roadworks - and we counted 37 Vietnamese women (rice paddy labourers) climb out of it! Admittedly those Vietnamese women aren't big - but 37 of them in there? It was like a University car-stuffing stunt! There were 2 each side of the driver, and all the women in the back each had another one sitting on their lap - and the rest were just hanging off the back and the sides!
I dunno, it all looks perfectly road legal to me! Only the AK-47 and the guy wielding it, and the casual way he's wielding it, is what would make me a little unsettled!
I think Girl Scouts were trained better than him and the rest at the time of that picture.
Semper Crustulum!
It was bad on training them.
It's a Hilux, that's all good. If it was a Landcruiser, it could have carried two.
It's physically impossible to overload a Land Cruiser.
Yeah but I reckon those two are getting close.
There's still room on the bonnet
More axles?
It's sad only half a truck-it needs to be 7' longer and two more axles-sad only half a truck.
Would all those four extra axles be self steering or what happens if you try to make a sharp turn with a full load on?
If that’s not photoshop I just don’t get it. Unless you can’t find a driver that can back a trailer………
Steerable. Some in town with three drop in front of drives with a swing up drop at tail. I don't get it either, but what do you and I know.
In Seattle they are beccoming more popular because of traffic. Dragging a pup is getting more and more difficult because of traffic. They can gross 88,000 if I recall correctly.
You see a lot of super dumps here in California but they only have one extra axle. Great big 20k (I presume) balloon steers, standard group of 8 drives and one tiny axle in between that can't be any more than 10k, somehow gets them what looks like as much as a 10 wheeler and wagon box/transfer we call it here. I forget what the GVW sticker says but concrete mixers have always had air axles and their sticker says 70k on 4 axles, 12 wheels of normal size except the steers.
I guess you folks haven't seen many Michigan trucks. Near full of axles, front to back. Its amazing what is permitted when the auto (steel) companies write the weight laws.
Not photoshop, its for sale near me. I imagine the frame gets a pretty good load when the steerable axles come up. For just a little over $300,000 it could be yours. They don't say what they could haul legally in arkansas with it. 2024 KENWORTH w900l $313,701 Listed a day ago in Rogers, AR Exterior color: Blue · Interior color: Grey Fuel type: Diesel Seller's Description ***ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN EXTREMELY HEAVY DUMP TRUCK??? HERE'S ONE FOR YOU!*** NEW 2024 KENWORTH W900L MILEAGE: NEW CUMMINS X15 565 HP 18 SPEED 3.90 GEARS 320" WB 22' HYBRID DUMP BED WEIGHT: 29,160 LBS * If applicable, price includes FET, but does not reflect state or local taxes or license and title fees.
And I will admit that we do a similar thing with counterweights. I have two different cranes with around 34,000lbs of counterweight, and I've got one straight truck set up with two lift axles and am getting done with a second one. We go too many places with parking lots with trees and islands and decorative sidewalks in the way. Where I can put a all wheel steer crane, but couldn't get the counterweights in there on a trailer. So I've built straight trucks. The one I've already got built I'm legal for 67,000 GVW, heavy steer, lift axle, tandems, then another lift axle at the rear of the bed. You work within the system.
That is allot to be asking of 3/8" rail.
This get's 43,000 on trailer group, 43,000 on drive group including drop axle, and can fudge 12,500 on steer with a WB of 275" on tractor, with a 24" pin setting on trailer with fifth wheel slid to front, trailer slid all the way back on a 53', with a total length of 75'. Drop axle distance from center of rear drive 9' 11". Plus the frame rail is 7/16". Drop axle is Hendrickson ST1300 steerable rated for 13,000 lbs. For a total of 98 and some change on fudging. The new trucks in the fleet have a 285" WB with longer drop axle spread-can GVW 100,000. *
I'm always fascinated with the axle/body/trailer configurations guys come up with to work within the bridge laws.
Always disliked trying to calc Bridge Formula.
The area most often missed when trying to reach max net/GVW verses length is the trailer kingpin setting. With fixed like a dump box it's always a direct load over certain distance X how many axles, because there's nothing to slide, except for drawbar on pup, but still fixed.
As JaredV says, this is set up to mess with bridge laws. Many many years ago, Colorado only wanted to know the "bridge" (length between first and last axles) and the number of axles. According to their formula, I was able to gross a lot more with the same axle spacing than I was in New Mexico. Superdump's website claimed this setup can unload faster than truck trailer domination. I see a lot of these in Arizona.
Well at least the price includes FET..
Note-that price is lower than six months ago, my old company just priced some more T990's, $217,000-1.5 years ago the ones they bought were 248,000.
That 7 axle truck can net just under 24 tons in Washington State. Most of the big asphalt companies are going to Super 18's for asphalting. Netting around 25 tons on a super 18.
2024 is also the last year for the W900L, no more. But one thing that really stands out, that W900L at 320" WB with the supers on the steer has just possibly the worst turning radius of any truck built in todays market or years before. If the reason behind these Super DUMPs with all the training wheels is ability to get around in tight spots/traffic-------------THAT W900 was/is the most ill spec'd pile out there. I would imagen if any smart prospective buyer took that over the top turd on a test drive after the first turn at a intersection-----------no thanks-I'll look else where. * I know this is a slight exaggeration, but a air craft carrier has a better turning radius.
From the pictures, I think those might be 445 steers. Rather than a typical 425. They look wide and are way outside even the fender extensions. It would be a pig off-road also.
Looks like a lot of moving parts & maintenance to me..... I prefer the old standard type.
Pops, I see more super dumps around here nowadays than truck/transfer or belly dump. Maybe because one truck does it all, can deliver to a job site or do mass hauling from the pit to the yard/whatever. Slade, Foster, North Star all running them, talked to a driver once, said they will even spread out of them. He was using a truck/transfer that day, probably because we were on a real small job site.
Yer right, they seem the way to go these days and they dont get as spooky as dumping with the end dumps. I knew a couple of the Slade guys, they liked em.
That quad I used to run had a DD13 and a 8LL trans, handled 78000 gross like nothing still got close to 6mpg. Typical Commercial zone loads here on a Quad is 84000gvw around 50-56k load weight.
Appears the Fed is going to adjust axle load weight for the electrics. Finally found the ‘empty weight’ for a Tesla but has a caveat: 27000# with battery but does not include ‘tires or some drive train components’. On JD Powers. Federal Hwy Safety is being requested to adjust 3 axle tractor with two axle trailer max gvw to 91,000+ lbs.
Makes sense
And that is stupid, the roads are torn up enough as it is-so lets speed that up. At 91,000 there isn't enough braking surface with only 4 axles, the steer brakes are only 40% of a drive. The stopping distance is severely hampered with another 11,000/5.5 ton. So to properly allow that-the speed limit for trucks should be reduced across the board 5 mph. More weight with same specifications for brakes and tires should=less road speed. The other requirement every tire has to be 16 ply no 14 ply allowed. There are scads of companies running 14 ply, even on steer.
These people don't care about lives, all they want is EVs
It's all very simple, commercial EV will equal less payload staying with currant load restrictions. So that means build a lighter truck, no sleeper, single cab, cab heater only no A/C, stripped of all creature comforts, only the absolute necessity's. Same as it was 40 plus years ago, people like the idea of going back to the 50's-a simpler life, this a good place to start.
One can't find a competent operator as it is. You want to ditch a/c and other creature comforts?
In my post it doesn't say I want to, and who created the problem with competent workers-- The System. Americans would like to go back in time to simpler days-great. No cherry picking, take everything that goes with it.
Tri-axle dumps here (tandem, lift and steer) can gross 25 tons legally on non-Interstate highways.
I see the strong arm super solo trucks around here hauling asphalt and not much else. They do turn like pigs. Dirt shows are usually 8 axle dump and pups with 105,5 tonnage, or belly dump trains. Deliveries are most often 8 axle T-truck combos.
Not going to be loading rip/wrap in a aluminum box. Same around here 8 Axle including pup.
Sounds light, shouldn't just a regular truck with a heavy front be 54k? Where do you live might be the difference.
25 tons is the payload.
Quad I drove and its successor licensed to 73,280, Axle rates are limiting factor where could only haul a 20T load LEGALLY.
What is this "legally" term you speak of?
Legal load on the quad axles down for axle weight and state secondary highways bridge formula was 20t. Truck weighed 26550 empty, that when loaded reasonably in the bed with most product to the rear made axle weights correct. When worked Highway Department contracts we were given ‘Commercial Zone’ hauling limits and could haul to license weight, 72,380 with Increased axle load ratings. Then there were the days of self load and delivery close to load site, not that happened too regularly but did see close to 79,000 gross a few times!
One of the worst tractors deere ever built, should be 25,000-30,000#. I don't see how that pickup could even start that load unless there is concrete under that grass.
Trailer weighs around 10k 4 low
25,000-30,000# is tractor alone.
Just a little over the top on GVWR
Only one photo of how many times this has taken place across the country. You can be assured there is at least one if not three rolling along somewhere.
MANY, MANY Times
Needs a haircut.
Eons ago, while in Hawaii, I happened to see an old Ketchikan Pulp and Paper truck hauling sugar cane. (Before they quit growing it there.) It had a trailer about 50(?) feet long and sides that looked to be better than 10' high. Just a big lattice work trailer. The sugar cane it was hauling looked just like a giant haystack of cane. Some was dragging on the haul road, it had a similar view to this photo, but much less organized. I would guess the actual load was better than 20' tall. Of course in the era of Kodak Instamatics, a quick photo never happened. But was it ever imprinted on my brain.
I didn't see the overload, but I'm pretty sure this old new holland has had it. She's carrying a little extra support iron....
Remember demo'ing one of those brand new and calling the salesman to come pick it up after the first 30 mins of running it.
This guy is advertising locally that he hauls equipment. That appears to be an international 125, which weighs 18,500 on a couple of 7K axles at the best.
Well.....if you load the machine correctly and put 7k on the bumper pull hitch your not overloading the trailer
He must have pretty good tires to get away with that
Locally-where ever that is-is eastern washington.
I hope he does not have to stop in a hurry.
I'm sure there is some rolling resistance in that
A few days ago 2 guys died when a wheel and tire came loose from a mini car haul trailer on I-5 and went through their front window. That makes me wonder how often these over loaded trailers get jacked up to check wheel bearings for wear. I have the feeling the answer is not much.
That was a bad scene It somehow did not kill the front seat passengers but it hurt everybody.
Car dolly? or tiny trailer?
About as much as a boat trailer or camp trailer.
It was a hot-shotter with a 3 car slant and a DOT # on the door. Witnesses say the tire came off one of the cars being hauled?
????
Seems like there's some doubt about where that tyre (complete tyre and rim?) came from. Could have been a stray wheel from another vehicle, maybe it just got hit and bounced by the Ford hauling the trailer? I collected a complete truck tyre tread one time, from a shredded truck tyre blowout. The intact tread section was lying on the highway, and the guy in front of me ran right over it. Traffic was heavy at the time and everyone was sitting on over 100kmh. It came out of nowhere from under his vehicle, and it smashed all the front of the little Toyota Corolla I was driving at the time (the car wasn't mine). Broke the grille, smashed the RH headlight, and bent the hood so badly it had to be replaced. A real "brown corduroy trousers" moment for me. Couldn't do a thing, it was all over in a second, no time to react even with a swerve, let alone hit the brakes. Tire goes through windshield of passenger van on NB I-5 in Lakewood, killing 2 An 18-year-old and 55-year-old were killed. One person was taken to the hospital and five other passengers were uninjured. www.king5.com
I had a large wheel from the pickup behind me pass me on a country road (40 MPH) I'd seen the idiot steering back and forth, looked like he had spacers. It damaged the siding on the house it hit. Interesting that it accelerated after it got off the truck. I've also almost been hit by a set of duals that came off a semi on the Interstate.
Around here everyone wants to do 75-90 on the freeway. When things like this happens there's no time to react.
My workshop neighbour is a trucker and he told me this story that happened to him, while he was running East-West across Australia, way back in the late 70's or early 80's. He only had one truck, but he got white line fever, running Perth to Sydney and return, and he drove about 20hrs a day - 7 days a week! He was much younger and super-keen back then, and he loved the money rolling in! - to the point, at one stage, one dispatcher asked him, "how many trucks he had?". When he replied "only the one", the dispatcher wouldn't believe him! Of course, traffic was much lighter back in those days, driving hours had no limitations, and it was a bit of a free-for-all on the roads - as evidenced by the number of crashed trucks, back then. Anyway - he told us he was hauling this triaxle trailer behind his KW, and he was well West of Adelaide, on the Eyre Hwy, nearing the Nullarbor Plain, in the middle of the night. Nature called, and as the truckies were prone to do back in the good old days, he pulled up, unzipped, and let fly from the cabin door. Once done, you'd zip up, back in the cabin, and "on the road again!", as Willie says. So, he's stopped on the shoulder having a whizz, after coming down a long gradual grade, onto a flat - when to his utter amazement, a set of duals trundled right past him, travelling steadily up the centre of the highway, at about 50kmh!! Stunned, he jumped down and walked back to the triaxle trailer, only to find the centre set of RHS duals completely missing! He told me he figured that the hub and duals must have gradually walked out, and must have come right off, only a minute or so before he pulled up. He reckoned they must have travelled steadily down the grade behind him, and then went past him, right as he stopped to take a leak. He said the worst part was, he had no way to re-install the duals - so he chained up the offending axle, and got going again. But then, he said the trailer handling at speed, became something like a wild animal! - it was all over the highway, and he couldn't get it to pull straight! So he stopped and pulled the wheels off the other end of the axle, just leaving the front and rear axles intact. He chained up that side of the axle, and he said after he did that, the handling became a lot more controllable. I guess he wasn't loaded to the limit, or the remaining tyres would've been seriously overloaded. He made it O.K., in this axle-less manner, to a civilised town on the Western end of the Nullarbor Plain, where he was able to organise to have the unserviceable hub repaired. He was in awe of the fact that this set of duals and hub had travelled right up the white line neatly for possibly 3 to 4 kms, and no-one had come the other way and collected them, in that period of time!
Many years ago I was driving a Jeep when only a lock ring from a split rim came at me at speed. It was heading straight at me but bounced & went over me. I can't say I've never had any luck!
Gee, I can't understand, all day I see triaxle trucks with the third axle in the air. I get it, they scuff a lot turning, but they never seem to put them down.
My truckie neighbour only chained up one end of the offending axle initially, this was what caused the trailer to misbehave with its handling. Once he chained up both ends of the axle, all was sweet.
Yeah it's not fun when tires come off, but it does offer a good brake.
I now see one or two axels lifted on empty tri axel trailers here. Not sure if they are lifted by air bag like a lift axel (which we don’t have in BC). I have seen empty quad dump trailers with an axel lifted front and back.
Probably an airlift tag axle. They are standard issue on the tri-axle dumps around here.
Some 25 years ago more like 28, a dump truck on the main drag which is highway 12, going through city center Dayton Wa. A lady walking along the side walk was cut to pieces by the lock ring that blew off the steer tire on the dump truck. Which cleaned out the 5 million dollar no fault clause of contractors insurance. F--k those old type wheels, liability isn't worth it.
Especially since for most sizes it’s easy to swap to tubeless.
Shops around here won't touch them, too old too much liability.
I don’t blame them. Heck most shops wouldn’t know how to do it safely anyway. I’ve got a couple 20” still laying around and 6 on an old dump truck but it puts around the property and is beyond every being in service.
they make good bases for the bigger bench grinders. Turn them over for a small fire pit.
Good thing its safely secured by one ratchet strap. He could use a little booster wheel under his hitch receiver
Don't be giving anyone ideas--that will be the next universal receiver attachment. * The Squirrely Wheel by RonCo.
Somebody did make this
Legit
Yeah, no doubt.
This dont look good at least it isnt chained down if it gets out of hand it can unload its self.
Does that thing have brakes or do we depend on the trucks brakes to stop it! Sure doesn't look like any thing inside the wheels in the picture.
Yup ^^^, and you'll need to up the license on the truck for the extra GVW.
Woo-Hoo!! I can't wait for the tandem and triaxle versions! I got a Toyota 1 tonner that's running a little overloaded most of the time! CLDD | Home of the first Weight Distribution Trailer for your pickup truck. Home of the patent-pending Weight Distribution Trailer built for your pickup truck. Carry larger loads without having to buy a new truck! cldd.ca
"if" more like "when" , it gets out of hand, that is just waiting to happen
The place i work part time is in the center of i think the biggest Amish settlement there is we also have several other like meninites . The Amish dont drive so they hire people to haul them some are good people but some are people that couldnt work at a regular job then some are people that like the Amish way of life and want to be close to them but not give up there way of life . The Amish and there drivers have never been around equipment hauling and think they know better . A few years ago the church started letting Amish have skidsteers?? The place i work is the only gas station within a 11 mile radius on any given day you will see something that makes you wonder how they made it there?
That's not right.
The dump truck is a heavy haul on the move in Western Australia, the number plate on the Toyota Prado is a W.A. plate. That's the way we move the big trucks here - on platform trailers, we've got minimum restrictions on the heavy haul routes, all the roadside trees are cut back, and the National Hwy standard width is 8 metres of seal, plus about another 4 metres of shoulder at minimum - and if the rig takes up the whole highway, the oversize escort goes ahead and stops the traffic at a spot where they can all get off onto the shoulder. Here's some I snapped in my highway travels - the last ones were parked up in a big truck bay, don't know why they left them there overnight, and took the trucks away, must have been some reason, but I didn't find out. Possibly because they were close to home, and didn't want to camp out. The wheels are off the last ones to keep the height down. Some of the routes have little height restrictions, the authorities have either lifted wires to over 6 metres, or they find a detour that avoids wires. Plus, all the trailers have hydraulic suspension, with a hyd power pack on the trailer, you can lower the trailers right down if necessary, to squeeze under obstructions.
I'll guess the empty bus is 19000 LBS. Trailer is 8000. 27000 is a big load for the truck. I wouldn't be surprised if it's legal. I can't estimate the rating of the trailer, 4 tires or 8?
I would expect that-having a population of 26.5 million and the flattest, driest continent. U.S. population 331 million with X amount of mountain ranges.
I'd hate to try to keep up with the tires on that multi axle transporter trailer. Especially loaded up, going across the outback in some scorching heat. Ain't no roadside tire service out there. You can see stacks of tires on two of the necks.
Just checking tire pressure might take a bit
I would think they would run a tire inflation/monitor system
I'm not sure how many of the platform trailers run a tyre inflation/monitoring system - but I know a lot of the trucks are running them now. I agree on the PIA involved in checking pressures and changing flats - but they quite often simply call in a mobile tyre truck and fitters when they get a flat, unless they're a long way from a town. In that case, that's where the pile of spares on the deck come in! The big companies won't let their drivers change tyres, in case they take some skin off a pinkie, and have to have a week off on sick leave - and of course, most big company drivers haven't done a tyre fitters course, so that stops them from even touching a wheel nut. But the smaller trucking companies still have a hands-on approach, and most of their drivers can change wheels, no problem.
Here's some of our local big modular platform trailers, built by Drake - you just keep pinning as many modules together as you require - up to 24 rows of axles if you need it. All axles are fully height adjustable over a wide height range, the modules are self-steering, and they hydraulically widen as well. The last one is TWO platform trailers carrying a big bucket wheel stacker/reclaimer. Got to be some weight in that load! I was reading in a crane magazine recently, where one of the big iron ore miners in the North of Western Australia ordered approximately 30,000 tonnes of steel structural work, all built in Asia, to set up a new iron ore mine. The steel structural work was all shipped in, largely prefabricated, and the haulage operators carried out 138 individual oversize load deliveries to take the steel structural work from the Port, to the new mine site inland, around 300 to 400 kilometres. The structures were up to 8 metres wide, and the average individual load on the above numbers was 217 tonnes! Haven't seen any photos of those haul jobs yet!
Any load is too much for this clown. https://www.facebook.com/reel/867228838470520
Makes me fill good about my driving abilities.
Dude knows how to get it done! Demounts a tire and washes the undercarriage the easy way
And just leaves the damage repairs and the insurance claim for others to sort out! - while he goes looking for another job! - where he can list his skills as "qualified tyre de-mounter" and "qualified in utilities-location"!
21 long by 11 high by 6 width is 1,386 bags, if they are only 60# bags that's only 83,160#......only
I can hear his phone conversation from here. "Hey Ahmed! I'm gonna want a 20 ton bottle jack, a big pile of blocks, some scrap pieces of steel, about 6 big packets of 7018, the 9" angle grinder, the portable genset/welder - you know, the one we built up from the engines and generators laying around Mohammeds scrap yard.... Oh, and don't forget the 10 gallons of water we'll need, as well....."
the last brokeback I saw was the worst. It was 15 years ago alongside the valley freeway in about 90 degree heat, which is our upper limits. What was it? An overloaded rendering truck, dripping ooze onto the shoulder. They had to jack that up and scab it with the colorful rain.
By my math thats about 22,000lbs on a pintle hitch behind a 1-ton truck, check out the tie down job as well...
And another. Why does everyone think this is ok?
Because they saw it on the TV commercial.
that first one is better, that ratchet strap is just the ticket. Makes up for the funky light chain job in the back. /S
The shiny duelly wheel tells it all….
No load here, but he got where he was going. Joe H
They think it’s ok because it fits on the trailer and it hooks up to their truck…..
See that nonsense towing around here A LOT. Sad to say the landscapers do that and while do get DOT Caught is not all that often. Saw one early last summer, 38+ft TONGUE type three axle, had seven at least 60" zero turn and surrey walk behind mowers with racks full of blowers, weed wackers and a full rack of five gallon fuel jugs of yellow and red NO Straps or tie downs. All dragged by a Short bed, Half Ton.
I think the other problem is they do it and get away with it, which only reinforces the bad behavior. One bad wreck or big fine from DOT would change their tune I think. Both of those I posted also had very little tongue weight, come into a down hill corner a little too fast or swerve to avoid some other idiot in traffic and thats all she wrote.
Dot around here pulls over dullays with trailers more then trucks because they need a CDL a and they also don't strap them down correctly. All the more reason to get a 3/4 ton
It was a low sided 40' like this. I think it had the cow tipper but I was too busy rolling up the window, gagging, and dodging the cloud of flies.
Guts Wagons, NASTY!!!
They reckon you get used to the smell after a few years, kinda of like pig farms. Worst thing I've encountered was visiting a guy at his home, to pick up a part for an associate - this guy had manured his entire front yard inches deep, with ripe, fresh pig manure!! I don't how he lived there, or how the neighbours didn't kill him!! This was in a town, not out in a rural region! We were gagging as soon as we opened the windows of the car, and we couldn't get out of his yard fast enough!
My brother made the same mistake with some really hot fresh chicken manure. He had just built the house and wanted to get the new lawn going in a hurry. What he got was epic stench and clouds of flies!
Lets see page 164, 164 pages of fine americans constantly breaking the law, figuring out a way to angle around some law that They just don't like-probably because it cost them a few extra bucks. There is nothing shocking or unusual to any of this-it's just entertainment for HEF members and most are looking to see if they can pickup on some new law breaking ways of doing things.
Many people who spent time in prison say they learned more about being a criminal in there than they ever did while free.
It took 164 pages to get to pig and chicken manure.
I drove back from Seattle yesterday afternoon, left at 1:45. Counted three wrecks one involving a hellcat driving too fast for rainy conditions. But the amount of speeding traffic was 75%. It didn't matter cars, trucks whatever speed limit 70 for cars-most running 78 average, some 85 plus. Signs and rules, laws, mean nothing. In America rules are to be bent or broke not followed. * Tomorrow is a new day-to start allover breaking rules and laws.
It's not much fun driving around those idiots. Today somebody just had to jump out in front of me on the highway. Then we continued on for a few miles while they studiously avoided having me next to them at the lights, because they knew they did me dirty. How about just do it right to begin with. I won't mind hanging up the CDL hat when the time comes. That was in my car, in the truck there might have been bigger problems.
Best thing about being retired is not having to drive into the city. We live out one one edge and don’t even drive into the local town centre very often. Within 5 miles we have a booze store, 2 grocery stores, a lumber yard( the old kind that sells lumber and hardware), an outdoor equipment store, and several auto parts places.
Managed to get stuck behind a rendering truck ONCE! Sos, 90° day, took the first side road... The truck was a rolling scrap heap, but....what dot cop is gonna pull it over? Lol Ed
Several years ago one of those dumped over next to the Tacoma dome. I had to drive through after they scooped up all the big chunks up but hadn't washed the rest off. All the northbound lanes were literally coated in bacon grease. It was worse than driving on ice. The smell was about what you can imagine
Many years ago, an associate who was an earthmoving contractor in the Southern agricultural area of Western Australia, went to the North of the State to do earthworks on a major defence base. In the North of W.A., vast areas are unfenced, the cattle roam freely, as well as the wildlife such as kangaroos, donkeys, and even a few camels. Naturally, with a busy major highway through the region, the road kill is pretty impressive. Cattle get ironed out by road trains fitted with bull bars, and they rarely stop to check for damage, because it's usually not major. So, the associate is tooling along the highway happily with his truck and low-loader (lowbed) and big Komatsu dozer aboard - when his mirror fills with flashing lights that belong to Transport Inspectors. TI's do the major checks on the trucks here, the Police don't normally pull trucks up unless it's a speeding/licence check/"person of interest" issue. Naturally, TI's acquire all kinds of less-than-endearing nicknames from the trucking fraternity. Old buddy duly pulls up in obedience to the flashing lights - then as he pulls to a stop and winds down the window, his nostrils are assailed by the less-than-delightful aroma of a 6-day-old, fully-bloated, very ripe, dead steer (flattened by a road train) - which just happened to be right next to his nearside wheels, where he pulled up. The Transport Inspector parks behind him and walks up to his window - and promptly starts gagging and complaining about the SMELL! He says to old buddy, "How about you pull forward about another 300 metres, so I can go over your truck and trailer and load?" Old buddy says. "Nah, I don't see any real important reason why I should do that! You pulled me up right here, you can go over the truck and trailer right here!" The TI glares at him, does a pretty cursory inspection of the truck and trailer, comes back to his window, and tells him he can go!! Of course, he stays put until the TI's move off and are far into the distance, before he cranks up and moves off again! He said to me, "Gee, I was nearly losing my lunch with the smell, but I wasn't going to move, once I realised the pong would make for a very short and cursory TI inspection!! It was worth it!". https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/globalassets/heavy-vehicles/compliance-enforcement/heavy-vehicle-inspection-brochure.pdf?v=4a1a06
Seen ONE Dope MODot Inspector evidently Green pull over a Rendering Guts Wagon, spent only time to walk to cab and released him!! I have been avoiding considering going BACK into driving, just due to the ignorance that befouls interstates and Cities of any value of population, sickening how they drive. Work to avoid driving to STL or CoMO or even to visit areas as KC or Springfield for venues or entertainment, the traffic and idiots defy any positive.
One big reason i started hauling scrap to a different place was because the highway to the place i did go to dosent seem to have a speed limit and a lot of traffic . The place i go to now is on back highways with alot less traffic and very few driveing 80 mph . I do have to drive on a interstate for about 3 miles but its one that allows slow moving stuff tractors so my truck that i dont like to ever go over 60 mph is ok .
Rendering shmindering, I've worked on those and cleaned up wrecked, septic pumper is next in line. All necessary to haul away mans leftovers from eating and crapping. And yes DOT has a way of letting those bypass at scales, right along with apiary trucks. Bee wagons will get a green, full/live hives or not. But here's the fact side of those trucks. Honey farm owners can't afford to loose bees because it was hot bees swarmed after truck breaks down. It's one of only a few that once loaded the E-log does not apply. Gayle my old partner in the shop, his relatives run/own some of the largest apiary's in the PNW. Le Fore Honey Farms, Milton Freewater, Ore. Worked on their equipment for years they kept it in top shape.
Worst funk I've ever encountered was while doing roll-off for Waste Management. High end, high volume seafood restaurant at a hotel down town Buffalo, even with the self contained compactor that was pure evil baking in the sun. Guys at the landfill loved when that crap was dumped, like a big funky cherry on the top of the garbage sundae.
Yes seafood or marine critters make for some fine stench in the noon day sun. Stink has never bothered me--it's fun to watch others turn green.
The same brother that made that mistake with chicken manure. He did one season up at Dutch harbor on the crab processor. Once they figured out he was a farm boy, they put him to work helping the engineers instead of working on the line. Everything on the line gets pumped out of the ship. All the crab guts, pieces of shell. It all gets macerated up and pumped out hard lines. One day that pump broke down and everything settled into the pipes. There was no way to clear them out except torching holes everywhere the pipe turned and digging out the blue rotten burned with a cutting torch crab stuff. My brother said that was epic! He did not have a hard stomach and I'm sure there's lots of retching involved.
Re: becoming a nation of scofflaws. Of course we are. Part of that lays at the feet of Tricky Dick and his national 55 mph limit. The traffic cop allowed his bureaucratic handlers to turn him into a ta collector. An entire generation came of age knowing traffic laws were first and foremost about revenue collection and not about traffic safety.
Correct--you can't drive anywhere without being tailgated while driving the speed limit. And the fact is some one in the 4 cars riding the tailgaters *** thinks he is driving too slow. Following the law? {That's for others those laws don't pertain to me, and your holding me up so get off My highway.}
Life was easier when old trucks gear bound at 55 mph were common. Drivers expected to encounter slower moving traffic. Also old people in Cadillacs drove 45 mph hunched over the steering wheel. Again people expected it. And dealt with it. Don't see that now. Old people drive as fast as anybody. I drive right about at the speed limit and always end up in the truck lane. A few occasions I have had to temporarily speed up to 80 mph on I-80, 65 mph speed limit. I was in the middle lane. The fast lane was still passing me like I was standing still. Still I say, let them. It is not causing many wrecks and CHP does not seem to care, why should I? Also in Ca, truck speed limit is 55 mph everywhere. I have never ever heard or seen that enforced. Trucks drive a little slower than traffic but not much. Never ever seen one travelling at 55 mph. You would think certain companies with restrictive GPS would know and enforce highway speed limits. But they don't.
I have been waiting for someone to say that. * My thought is--it's obvious most think that way because most do it. So instead of erecting speed limit signs, yield signs and stop signs--remove every one of them because nobody obeys them. * And at the same time install speed/rev limiters on all EMT vehicles, if people want to act like a$$es there's no need to hurry.
Served 5 years driving a residential maggot wagon before upgrading to front load and roll-off so pretty much immune to the funk as well, but hot fish and crab remnants are worse than rotten meat. P.S. just so happens had septic pumped this morning and the baffle for the tank had half fallen off. Yep , had to put a ladder in the tank to drill and Tapcon the baffle in place. Piece of cake.
MSN Link.
Just curious as not mentioned in report, why were these women standing between parked cars alongside the highway? Know the driver that crashed is at fault, just why were the women standing there?
Probably like most college towns parking is a premium, more than likely waiting for traffic to clear to enter their parked cars. Thing is they were standing between cars not at roads edge, best place to stand in that scenario, the fact he moved parked cars says it all--he was hauling *** way over limit.
Were you drafted or enlisted?
Enlisted, job of a lifetime, got paid to pick and it was legal to look through everyone's trash. Most routes were in "affluent" towns and neighborhoods, people with more money than brains. You wouldn't believe the good crap we liberated from the curb. Some of my friends refer to my home as the garbage museum.
My BIL would be Proud!! He worked METRO STL, used to drive city streets on Large Trash day with a pickup and trailer, TONS of Goodies, Once used and rotten gas fouled chainsaws, String Trimmers, mowers, Lawn Furnishings that were either 'Dated' or out of tolerance for style or just time to spend money again. Garage Sale MASTER!!!
Oh I believe it-I know of a person that worked snobvilles in Seattle area.
Snobville There's a large island in the middle of the Niagara River kinda close to the falls called Grand Island and property is pretty pricey. Some of us poor folk refer to as Snob Island..
Have fixed and flipped countless mowers, snowblowers, trimmers and cheap chainsaws. Usually bad fuel or fouled plug, they just don't know any better. Found a kick ass 2 inch butcher block steel machine table with two drawers on the curb once and tagged it explaining that I would return later with my truck to pick it up on the way home. Well the homeowner emptied his garage full of other trash to the curb thinking I was returning with a garbage truck. When I showed up with my pickup he was still carrying stuff out. Oh Crap, helped him and his wife carry everything back to the garage promising to take everything they had the next garbage day. Good thing they were understanding folks. Still have that table.
Legit
That's just an accident looking for a place to happen.
More like a trailer looking to pass some people
Would not trust that any further than that driveway.
What's wrong with that, it's breaking all the rules at once, a contractors dream. Never needs a CDL, way less paper work and taxes, a construction site job shack with diner, 48 state legal, hire 100 year old grandpa for driver, look at the savings.
Hey, that's being pretty harsh on us older drivers! I'll have you know I can still back a semi-trailer fast and dead straight, after 60 years behind the wheel! - just as long as those young fools keep outta the way!!
That is probably the best idea for use of a RSH, haul the equipment and join the wrinkle ranchers at the KOA on the weekends.
And cold beer in the fridge 24/7.
Yes-I left out the advantage of grandpa being able to drive while intoxicated.
Maybe he was going to build his own campsites as he travelled
I've no idea how much it can legally tow. I own a truck I can haul various materials with, but reason I need a truck that size is towing an equipment trailer. It costs a lot to own & gets few miles. IF I owned a motor home big enough to tow the trailer It'd make more sense to tow with it than to also own a truck. It's more common to own a fifth wheel truck able to tow either a large camper or an equipment trailer. "Maybe he was going to build his own campsites as he travelled" Have you seen the ads Tom Selleck did? "Go camping" They show a family driving along a highway, pulling off into a random lakeside lot to camp. Looks cool, I expect the landowner to react very badly!
You'd have to get a RV with less ass on it, that 10k tongue weight might be a problem that far from the axle.
that is a nice solid axle mess.
Just NO!!!!
Some of the worst drivers I see out there pulling stuff are definitely penske trucks, RVs and horse trailers. The RV loophole should be closed IMO, how does the non commercial use of a vehicle make it not eligible for CDL licensing??
Looks perfectly legal to me, even got it properly tarped down! Just watch out when he's turning a corner, if you're a pedestrian...
Working at the Utility the company had loads of photos as this, ‘Back In the Day’ no OSHA, adapt and improvise as needed to get it done. Never any notes as to the injured! These men were making the standards we have today.
Not going to argue that, but just driving a car correctly has become a challenge for most. As far as RV Loophole--now your invading a industry {RV's} and the group of people who buy them. RV's started out single axle gas powered with a length of 32', class A & B & C. * But nothing ever stays the same, which is normal. As smaller diesels came on the scene in late 80's so came the 38' plus Diesel powered Rolling **** House with enough power to drag a car behind till only the bumper was left, which started the rear view camera industry. Retires flocked to those units the bigger the better used as a status symbol. The Federal and States were looking the other way not wanting to get involved in who had the right to drive a 40' RV. So I believe it was left to the idea that {if they could drive a gas powered 32' RV then why not a 42'. Plus think of all the revenue from the sale and licensing. All of a sudden it would be seen as infringing on several classes of citizens to require them to have an endorsement to drive their RSH, {all in the name of going to have fun at the lake}. * The other thing--in these years it was also thought people needed to expand their horizons, there was nothing a person couldn't DO if they put their mind to it, {and that's partly true}. So along came the person who is also a very experienced mechanic, lawyer, contractor, equipment operator, electrician, machinist, welder/fabricator, expert business man with his investment firm on speed dial, Oh I almost left out the big one a top of the line Class A Truck Driver with all endorsements and knows every DOT rule in the book with a Smart Phone in his hand to guide him through life. And in their spare time give advise on performing small surgeries and dental work. * Now minus only the CDL part above is anyone going to tell a society that knows all that they can't drive a rolling **** house they paid too much for.
I remember in the early 2000s people started retiring and they were going to be full time RV dwellers with no home address. They could get home loans on a giant bus. Don't know if that was still true after the '08 home loan messes.
Most cash out and buy Exotic Diesel Bus Chassis RSHs, VanHool Prevo, a few others. HD diesel, allisons, air brakes. These do have GVWR Should the DOT grow a pair to enforce DOT rules. Is bad enough the average RSH owner does not understand the electric brake system or that wheel and hub off maintenance is required. Then the makers rely on Scotchloks for wiring on them.
Or what can happen near the bottom of a long steep hill while in overdrive........
Guys--missing the point---Youtube------Youtube and a smart phone is all that's needed to get by in life. Don't know how to drive it-youtube, don't know how to repair it youtube. Don't know how to operate it youtube. Whether it's bogus info or not---youtube is this generations answer. * Remember we are worrying/over thinking the issues at hand, the public could just give a crap about what members on Heavy Equipment Forums think & 99999999.9% don't even know HEF exists.
My 2014 backhoe won't go into first gear. Two years ago I took it to the dealer 70 miles away to remedy. $2000. into it, they announced there never was a problem. I hauled it home, the problem went away 3 weeks after I brought it home. Mid October this year, it flared up again. It seems intermittent, but now absolute. The manual is written for a technician trained for years to repair this specific problem. I'll say .01% chance that I, a highly trained mechanic, or even God himself can figure it out with a manual or without. Can you tube tell me how?
Yes--It's a throw away society, if youtube can't fix it in the scrap it goes.
Just might
Speaking of youtube: Way over width, way over weight, home brew modified trailer with poorly working electric brakes, and he seems to have no clue about any DOT laws. To add insult to injury he’s posting this stuff on youtube, where based on the comments everyone thinks it’s cool to pull a 20k+ dozer behind a pickup. I mean seriously ***?
Oh and even better, at the end of the video he talks about how he used to pull a Cat 309 excavator with a 3/4 ton pickup....
Wow, a homebuilt gooseneck addition to the trailer, with dubious electric brakes - and he doesn't even understand the difference between GVW and GCW?? He's checking trailer bearings, but I'd like to see the carrying capacity of those tyres at 60mph??
What's new? Nothing, nothing new.
That would get pulled over from dot in Kansas instantly
It is interesting to read the comments here, then read the comments attached to the video. Here you see pretty realistic comments. According to the comments with the video, he is a shining example of what to do. All in the perspective.....
you get away with it once, and now it is the new standard. if you don't and crap breaks, most times you never see the video about that. They keep the failures to themselves unless it makes the news.
Or he’s going through and deleting the “negative” comments. I’m currious why law enforcement isn’t using videos like this for evidence and issuing tickets more often? They certainly can, several years back some of the younger members of our 4wd club got off the side of the trail and in some mud holes. This trail is in the nat’l forest and the mud holes were right on the edge of the trail and nothing to mark that they were off limits. They posted pictures on the public side of our club forum. Next club meeting a USFS park ranger shows up and starts calling out names of people he needed to see. About half a dozen got tickets and had to go to federal court. The locals go up there all the time and tear stuff up, leave beer cans etc, but our club members were targeted and made an example of. In that video you can clearly see its over width, improperly chained down, and with some quick googling calculate it is over weight, and video proof of him driving down the road with it. I think it would be very easy for DOT to show up at his doorstep with their ticket book in hand.
All people are gamblers one moment to the next in one form or another. Right as I type there are hundreds of people/drivers gambling on something at 60 plus. If nothing happens they call it a success and label themselves a hero because time and money saved-the end justified the means game.
In my opinion, its a poor trailer. Where do i start? Pretty much everything except the deck boards
Single Wheel Goose, MAX GVWR is 13500, always Been 13500 as the Tires cannot take more. He loaded FAR and Beyond rating.
Looks like a tandem to me?
Correct-it has eight-it still may be a lousy trailer-but it does have eight.
I would invite him to descend Hwy24 (Little Fort hill) to see how effective his braking is! Especially when coming up on a super B on the two lane travelling at 30km/h.
Its one of those Econoline trailers with 4 individual short axles, so 8 tires total. They are a **** poor design IMO, twice the number of hubs and lug nuts to deal with and changing an inside flat is an awful job.
What is worse is the cheap-a** solid link "suspension" system installed. It has no "give" when you hit a pothole, sunken culvert, or other road surface irregularity. This type of "suspension" increases the load on all the axle components because it increases shock loading on them. In my neck of the woods, even spring suspensions are now rated below airbags, as airbags "give" more under road impacts, and the engineers tell us this is easier on road pavements, bridges and culverts, so they give us higher axle load ratings for airbags.
And coming off the Duffy into Pemberton
Did not see the inside tires, have dealt with heavier trailers similar axle arrangement just as ignorant as noted above on repairing anything. A better trailer is a Tandem axle 12k axles and true duals not dual hubs per wheel end. Maintenance mess, terrible for flats, a great deal more stress points. Even at that the Goose theory behind a crappy Ton truck hauling that 3 is beyond stupid.
The loader operator at this pit is very generous. I bet he called that 2 yards
Hey, tires didn't pop, he's good to go. Joe H
Some guys need very short side boards.
I put around 1.5 yards of mason sand in my f250 a few years ago. Only a few mile trek so I took my time
Back again this morning and I saw a 550 with it's mud flaps dragging. Must be the aggregate here is like an ideal gas - it has to fill whatever volume is available!
Just needs shorter mud flaps.
Back in about 1970, my dad had an old F-150 (with the gas tank behind the seat) and we went to the local gravel pit for some driveway gravel.....same kind of place, toss some cash, no scale, and take the longer winding road back out of the pit.
Give it time
My 55 Ford had power steering with a good load. But no power brakes to go with it. Joe H
I once moved a 28 foot log in a 1956 Dodge Power Wagon. Winched it into the 8' dump body. Only time the steering was ever one finger on the wheel! Wish I had a picture.
The brother and I moved a complete ripper assembly for our Allis-Chalmers HD11 tractor in the back of an EH Holden utility (pickup). The EH Holden utility was rated to carry 1120lbs (half a U.K. ton or 508kgs), and we estimated the ripper assembly weighed around 3,500lbs (1588kgs) at least. We pumped the back tyres (6.40x13's) up to 75psi and never went over 30mph (50kmh), because the steering was so light, you started to lose control over 30mph, due to a "tail-wag" starting. We only had to move the ripper a few miles, on a low-traffic rural road, and that was probably a good thing! Here's a fully restored EH Holden utility that is identical to the one we owned. But our EH had the "big" 179 (cu in) motor, so we had the 115HP powerhouse! 1963 Holden EH Ute - Reader Resto Peter Witheyman's still not quite sure about how and why he got started on the EH Holden ute rest... www.tradeuniquecars.com.au
Two complete 68A D8H steering clutches and brake drums about 200 miles in one of these...... It was interesting to say the least.
I hauled this yesterday . I was right at 14 tall that bothered me but i made it ok. If i keep using this truck i need to rig up some D rings or something on the bed or inside the side boards.
Nige - Ha ha! My brother loaded a full set of D6C track rollers into the boot of his HG Holden sedan - whereby the rear subframes promptly sat on the rubber bump stops on the rear axle. Then he drove 600+ kms to the city, to get the track rollers reconditioned - at highway speeds, over some pretty ordinary roads - and the constant bouncing of the rear subframes on the Holden axle bump stops, was enough to make the subframes sag pretty badly! He was totally unaware of what was happening, until the outer body panel arches over the rear wheels, developed mysterious "crinkles" in them! What had happened was, the subframes sagged so much, the wheel arch panels had no choice but to buckle!! He got a body repair shop to straighten out the "crinkles", and then traded the car in!! He never even tried to straighten the subframes! This is an exact example of the HG Holden he wrecked! Hibid burnsandco.hibid.com
Have we not ALL done that to some level in our pasts?!!!
Easier to spell dumass than Brainiac.
Videos #1 and 2 in that series are equally as good...
Sounds like some of you Englishmen need pickup trucks . . .
It really is quite amazing what you can fit into a little Japanese-origin hatchback. I've got a 1.5L 1981 Ford Laser (Mazda 323) 5 dr hatchback that I used for years as a runabout. When the back seats are folded down, it has nearly as much cargo room as a small van. And it just sips the fuel. Unfortunately, it stopped when an alloy manufacturing plug in the head rotted out and it dumped all the coolant in the oil. I fixed the plug, then the fuel system started to play up, so I parked it up, and it hasn't run for quite a while. I really need to get it running again in this era of dreadful fuel prices, it would go for a fortnight on $20 worth of fuel.
That's how I use my TDI Beetle.That's a 200 pound G56. Fish on baby! You dogs better duck.
Good to see you went to the extreme lengths of putting down decent heavy duty, floor protection!
there are two pieces of plywood under the cardboard, cut and notched around everything. That flimsy spare tire cover does not get it done, but I have a full size spare in there that takes the load and the plywood protects that flimsy thing.
No heavier than shoving some lifeless ******** in the trunk to be disposed of later. That car was meant for that job as others with a trunk
Ya really think they design & test for hauling dead bodies, or is that an unauthorized use? On that note I once saw a series of correspondence between a Nazi officer & an engineer at Mercedes. It was translated to English. The Nazi wanted to cut the length of the death vans to reduce the volume of air inside. Mercedes worried it'd overload the front axle & suspension. Nazi reassured that all the "cargo" is piled against the doors at the end of the "haul". As It was they had to travel farther to be sure the people would be dead, wasting precious time & fuel.
1:30 here and low census so everyone is eating mashed taters overloading their belly!
2:40 here and DOT is ready (Department of Turkey) we are about to sit down. I don't have the suspension anymore to overload on groceries. That and the scale which never closes will rat me out tomorrow morning.
This guy is a habitual overloader and has made an entire youtube channel out of it: And then complains about how expensive it is to run these trucks. No **** you’re running the highest cost per mile trucks on the road: Why are guys like this obsessed with these pickup based trucks instead of getting a real truck?
It has to do in some cases of what is or is not hanging between their legs. MG if you look at these three brands-all three are in a super competition to build the pickup with the biggest nose-although quite deceiving at the same time. Ford, Dodge & Chevy know the generation/ age group wants a diesel pickup plus wants it to give the feeling when setting inside or looking at it from a distance that it is a BIG TRUCK & CAN DO BIG TRUCK THINGS {even though it really can't and the owner or money borrower that bought is up to his ass in ego and a tire package, dressed in a safety yellow shirt with a stupid four day old beard and dumb looking hat will argue with you how it has X amount of horse power & torque-which equals two words he can't spell. * But the important part is all the 80 year old women they are impressing while driving down the street.
I have never quite gotten the deal with these guys and the pickups. I know some guys that are contractors, the extent they will go to try to turn pickups into semis is comical. Just get a Class A and a real truck and get on with it. The paranoia of CDL's and DOT numbers . . .
That truck and trailer requires a class a CDL The f450-f550 (and similar) are probably the least useless trucks you can find unless your going for a straight truck application A medium duty will tow everything better, easier, and cheaper.
Yeah thats the thing, I think that guy has a class A CDL, DOT number, commercial insurance, etc but is still wasting his money on little piece of nothing trucks and gooseneck trailers. I can almost guarantee his overhead would go way down if he’d trade all that expensive crap for a good solid used single axle or short tandem semi tractor and a short single drop equipment trailer. Or even just a class 7 truck with a pintle hitch trailer, I know what that setup costs to run and it’s a fraction of what he’s spending.
That guy lives just a few miles from me. I think he at least understands the ratings on the things he is doing. This being California, he is not allowed to have an old '94 FL with a Series 60 or something good, the dealers are all far away from here if he was to get a full size semi and it needed some silly computer thing done in Sacramento he might be out of commission for weeks. I think that might be some of the reasoning for what he is doing. Another could be the extremely narrow roads and such, I have watched in the past what he does and I know those roads, I don't know of another place in the country quite as challenging as here for narrow roads. Not saying it is right but I do not expect to find him upside down in a ditch like some of these cowboys.
Remember the hyw 49 accident with the 710 crushing the car.
Yes, that was just down the road from my house here. But that was an old 80s/early 90s F350 with an IDI diesel. Drum brakes on the rear axle and no engine braking to speak of. That monstrosity was coming so slowly up the highway, that news was traveling faster than it was and a guy at the local logging co actually got a video as it passed by, he showed me.
I don't know about that one. The one that comes to mind was the boat behind a pickup at the bottom of 50 at Carson City.
This crash? .... https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article61275927.html The sentencing is pretty pathetic, IMO. Here, you'd get 5 or 6 years in jail at least, for manslaughter with an overloaded vehicle and trailer and with no commercial drivers licence. Nevada County manslaughter case ends with sentencings A 2016 Nevada County manslaughter case has resulted in two men pleading no contest to the allegations, prosecutors said. Authorities had accused Terry Cordell, 62, and Steven Sipe, 58, in www.theunion.com
Was there commercial drivers license back in those day?
The problem is these auto mfgs are just pulling these tow ratings out of their ***. At some point you just can’t escape physics. When he is grossing 45-50-55k with a dodge pickup and the trailer plug has a short, thats all she wrote. I live in a very mountainous area in Va and the roads are often extremely steep, winding, no shoulder, etc. In conditions like this (and I assume where you are) I want as much truck as possible and I’m not going to be maxing out the GCWR. My air brake F700 has a GCWR of 50k but I never go over 37k. On these roads 45k in a dodge sounds terrifying to me. FWIW I bet he could have bought a new or almost new F750 for what he paid for that dodge.
You hit the nail on the head better too much truck then not enough.
IIRC a 710 weighs 26,000, it wouldn't matter if it was a new truck, drum or disk not buying that one.
That big dodge---is also a personal vehicle and there for wifey poo to drive also, you need a big rig to drive to get a tan and nails done.
@Birken Vogt I was in your neighborhood in March of 2018 when the roads washed out from the fire scars and heavy rain. We were in Mariposa with the hopes of visiting Yosemite, and woke up to epic rains. I looked at the weather and we ran NW up 49. I think the road washed out bad north of Bear Valley in that steep canyon. The DOT trucks were up and down that canyon pushing off rocks and we just got through. We had the Ram and 5th wheel. We kept on 49 all the way to Auburn. It is beautiful for sure.
It is-I remember it from 69 to 71 when I lived in Cordova.
it's the air brakes. Nobody wants to deal with that, but that is how it works. That 5500 or whatever weighs as much or more than a day cab single axle tractor, but the tractor and a two axle lowboy can drive 15 ton dozers and excavators all over, and safely. Something like this Freightliner day cab. https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2016-FREIGHTLINER-BUSINESS+CLASS+M2+112-5027260407
When it comes to diesels and towing, there's no replacement for displacement on the way up and down. I used to haul rock a short distance, 60,000# on a 3208 is not fun
Lets call it a end run-dodging laws, rules, paperwork. When I worked Ag I converted the company from super duty ford 350's to FL70's for service trucks/towing huge cultivators & sprayers. The 350's were constantly needing brakes and clutches, most were on the second 7.3 and 5 speed. That company is still running those FL70's with 8.3's 9spds and air brakes, most all made 10 years before needing a clutch or brakes. It was cost effective and safer.
That little day cab has a 350 HP DD13, more HP than my tandem 3406 dump truck. It would be a joy to tow the excavator with a rig like that.
Whats more to deal with with air brakes besides they work better are cheaper to replace and actually do a good job or stopping things
I for one could not imagine driving around heavy and watching my RPM be at 3k or 4k or whatever these little diesels run at these days.
Darling wife can't take it to get her nails done without the endorsement.
The Guts, Glory, Ram, truck ads did not help things except for Dodge sales at the expense of safety
VGT ENGINE BRAKING!
Guy down the road here has a SA Freightliner DD11 and a OLD Tandem ramp load drop deck equipment trailer for sale, $20K, far better choice than any of the above up to a 550.
except you probably can't run it in California. That is what prompted me to use that 2016 DD13 for an example. That is the problem that @Birken Vogt was pointing out, keeping a rig and all the emissions running in their location.
True in several states, not here. Truck is still very serviceable trailer needs suspension work and lighting but solid(I looked), a Landscaper would have little issue with that machine for YEARS. Has all new brakes, does have the old 6 lug 3spoke dayton 16" rears, single spring rolling arch suspension. Bushings could be rough to locate. FL120 Day Cab, IIRC 1999 so is 25 soon but on 22.5 PH Wheels and single bag air ride.
Unfortunately I think the only way we are going to see regulation of the tow ratings on these new pickups is a horrific high profile accident. Think Jayne Mansfield and the ICC bar...
That little 3208 was probably supposed to rev to 2800 but that tach said 3200, probably was wrong, but did take getting used to seeing that. Good thing it was like 10 miles on back roads for a couple days. When we did a longer haul we didn't load it that much, kept it legal......ish. The newer isx and others I drove have vgt braking as well, they do very well when programmed to act like a Jake and not with a delay.
Wrong way Jones This one did not get down to you Mike. RSH too big too full too fast. Speed on the ice, not good! " KENNEWICK, Wash. - A driver and three passengers suffered minor injuries in a single-vehicle rollover crash on Saturday, Nov. 25. According to a post on Facebook , Benton County Fire District 1, along with the Benton County Sheriff's Office and Washington State Patrol, responded to the crash at around 3:30 pm Saturday afternoon on I-82 near exit 117, just south of Bateman Rd. The occupants of the vehicle were checked out by medics, while crews helped to remove several cats and dogs from the vehicle. Hydraulic cutting equipment was also utilized to separate the vehicle from a trailer it was towing. Speed was reported as a contributing factor in the crash. Drivers are reminded that if they are towing trailers, they should always follow the posted truck speed limit, and to stay in the right lane unless passing another vehicle. "" https://www.nbcrightnow.com/news/mi...cle_a0bc39b8-8c98-11ee-9b49-9bb7a6c1fcde.html
I was just through there a couple months ago on vacation, the sustained wind through there was incredible on the way back. Thought it might blow me right off the bridge south of there. Also constantly fighting it all the way down the gorge toward Mt. Hood.
I was trying to figure out where all the trash came flying from (no obvious blown out windshield or doors), then I put together the idea of the totes and the roof rack, and it all became more clear. Testament to the truck, that they only had minor injuries. Bet that expedition was wollering around like a pig, between passengers, roof totes and the camper. Throw in a little wind and trying to get home from a thanksgiving visit to grandma's, and that's a recipe for disaster.
It's a thing. I have to brag on my combo. I have been through there many times and it tracks like a boss. I have to sit back and wait for the empty can haulers to settle down if I want to pass them. They get their asses handed to them on I-84. I would not want a pull trailer on there on a bad day.
In fact it was solid heavy headwind wind all the day from Spokane to Hood River. Picked the wrong day to be driving I guess. Blew the rain cap right off the trailer refrigerator, it was sun rotted already. (Rented trailer.) All I could do to keep above 50 and not have it downshifting into 2nd gear trying to keep up.
I-90 from Fishtrap, Tokyo, Ritzville, then 395 to TriCities, I-82 to Umatilla, I-84 to Biggs Junction. When the wind kicks up on the east side it can be fierce, the gorge I-84 when white caps on the Columbia River are 4' rollers, it's foot to the wood. * What's fun is driving that when it's freezing rain and the rain is coming down sideways. I have driven that when it's as slick as a cats ass, look in your right mirror trailer is on the fog line and steer is about 8" off the centerline. * Twelve plus years ago we had 100 plus winds here in Walla Walla. One of our trucks {One of my favorites a 2001 W900 standard hood} just crested the Milton Hill south of Milton Freewater on hyw 11. Rudy the driver said to me { It was a big ass gust it rocked her pretty hard, lifted the trailer tires then another hit me and I knew she was going over, so I kicked it in neutral turned her off steered to the wheat field and was hanging by my seat belt}. * Rudy is all German and when he talks he sounds just like The Terminator, so read that with that voice in mind.
The Generation. *
Even with out air brakes if it's licensed at 26001 or more you need a cdl
Spud needs that, drag it up to Montana for him. Joe H
550's should be 24k tag
CDL requirements are the greater of GVW or actual weight. Changed from original wording a few years ago.
That 550 without a trailer would only weigh maybe 12k.
A 550 is a tub of **** then! *
VT is confusing. A combined weight rating over 26000, or trailer over 10000. Later, they make the exception that combined weight rating must be over 26000 to require CDL. I can't figure out the mention at all of a 10000 LB rated trailer. Air brake endorsement is required for all class A CDL if using air brakes. My old truck had air brakes, but was 25990 LB GVWR. I once called DMV, they weren't able to answer that question.
It's pretty easy actually--Says right on license -Class A , any CMV tractor/trailer combination where GCWR is 26,001 lbs or more. Air brake endorsement is already part of a Class A license. There is absolutely nothing stamped or printed on the back of my license noting a Air Brake endorsement with my Class A-it's all ready part of a class A.
Here if you test with out air breaks you get a restriction same as if you need glasses to see where your headed
Yes you get a restriction, because the endorsement is assumed
I bet if we started a "CDL licensing and DOT regulations" thread we could take it straight to 100 pages . . .
Already Happened!!
DOT states GCWR Gross Combination Weight Rating, has Nothing to do with License weight, is the Ratings Tag on the Door frame and the Trailer. Truck chassis with 26001GCWR on the Door Tag CDL is required.
Got this from Fords Site F450 starts at 28K GCWR, tops out at 35K 550 starts at 28K tops at 40K 600 starts at 30K maxes at 43K 250/350 SRW starts at 19500 tops at 26K, go up to a DRW 350 Diesel and can top out at 32,500 Is a Pick Your Poison kind of day with these. Hook on a Trailer of any kind to a 450, 550, 600, play the game take your chances.
If you don't have a hitch how can you have a gcwr
Again it's simple-26,001 you need the big license. Now if you have equipment to move in a gross weight range of 40,000 there is not really any benefit to owning a over priced quad cab 450 and up. You can find a single or tandem axle and a decent short lowboy with 20' foot well for less than a over the top 450,550, and Goose neck. Or a tandem dump with a tree axle trailer. Then truthfully all that is needed is a 250 pickup to run around and conduct business. * Most is grandiose thinking.
Was my thinking as to the KW for a RSH hauler. Look at that wreck, key example, trailer had weight over and took control over that expedition, same with most Pickups, Trailer and Load overload truck base weight, brakes, drive train and tires with manufacturers Okie Dokie to do so on a name/gcwr tag. A RSH behind Big Blue will get roughly same Fuel Economy as a Overpowered under performing F350-F550. Looks Nicer in Smaller Truck, ride is somewhat easier, easier to transition In and Out, and Little Woman can drive it to the store but fine line at the bottom is the Truck is outclassed by one really designed to do what is being requested. I am aware on Ice a trailer can and will get sideways at the first sneeze, at least with a heavier chassis weight control can be recovered.
Here you get class B for truck only. Show up for test with no trailer, you get class B. My son got just under the wire requiring formal school to test. He arrived with my truck equipped with Allison transmission. He towed a two axle deck over I owned at the time rated 10,000 LBS. He was denied trailer endorsement because he towed a trailer not over 10,000 LBS. His successful test got him a Class B & an exemption from the new law requiring school. He made a new appointment & tested three weeks later with the other trailer rated heavier, but exactly the same dimensions. Some time later he borrowed a tandem dump truck with manual transmission to get the Automatic transmission limitation lifted. A friend has a class B license, He refuses to upgrade to class A or worse Class A with fifth wheel endorsement. As is he works 14 hour days on a paving crew. If he could also transport equipment he'd be working 7 days.
I'm talking about driving one with a lower tag. It's very different in every state, very common to have a 550 tagged at 24k in Kansas, also in Kansas you only need to tag for the weight on the truck so if you hook a big trailer on it your tag is still fine.
My first camper was 6000 LB GTW, My tow vehicle was a GMC Savana van 8600 LB GVW. Salesman assured me I had a vehicle PLENTY heavy enough, no specialized trailer equipment was needed. Made a few local trips, secondary highways, no trouble. We headed off to Maine, a 1000 mile round trip. How I didn't wreck first 200 miles I don't know! It'd suddenly go into fish tailing I could only stop with trailer brakes. I stopped at a ranch style house, two car garage with a sign "trailer hitches" I bought a friction sway control, making my trip a pleasure. Campers move a lot of air. Trailer weight is not your only concern.
That's funny, that's about the exact combo I was driving in the reference above all day with the rented trailer thru the Washington winds. I did not have any sway or eq on the rig and it felt nothing but steady all the way. Slow up hill and slow to drag the barn door through the wind were about all the problems it had.
Now this is a travel trailer Notice the chimney up top, had a wood stove in there hehe. Yes that's my rig and trailer
This was just posted in the Seattle Times: If you’re picking someone up from the airport tonight, good luck. A semi truck drove onto the arrivals lane at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport Monday evening, causing the drive to shut down. Turns out, a truck that size can’t fit under the airport’s skybridges. About 8:30 p.m., traffic was backed up all the way from the arrivals drive, through Highway 518, to Interstate 5, according to Seattle DOT traffic cameras. The airport was getting the truck backed out to reopen the drive, Sea-Tac posted on the social media platform X.
Only takes ONE moron for a entire area to consider ALL truckers morons.
CFH, does not matter what you license the machine as to weight, EVER. If it has that GCWR Tag and so much as a Bumper with positions for a Hitch Ball it is qualified. As with the KW I have, is only Licensed PRIVATE Vehicle at 48K, it is Still a Semi, could have licensed as a RV had I changed a few items and it is STILL a Air Brake Class 8 except as a RV ANYONE can be behind the wheel. Could have put 24K license on it as only weights 20, HOWEVER it does have a GCWR tag that leaves it as a Class 8 and has a Fifth Wheel with potential to use.
Ah that's funny, one little hiccup and it all falls apart with no contingency plan in place. Few road blocks in Seattle and it will start a ripple effect across the country within days along with many other cities near ports and such.
The truck i have now was kind of a want or dream. Before i got it i kept finding trailers that would need a truck to pull and i need a bigger trailer but after i got it the trailers got high and harder to find. I havnt used it alot even though its the only thing i have to pull a gooseneck. I can see why guys try to pull every thing with there pickups but i dont agree with them . No more than i have used my truck the last few years it hasnt been a cheap to use deal. It cost around $2.00 a mile or more. If i ever find a trailer and start using it more that will be great but write now i wonder if i wouldnt be better off with a 1 ton.
Friend that owns machine shop--Years ago when he and his dad had business building pea & bean harvesters under their name {Pic-Ryte} shipped allot of harvesters to the east coast. Three harvesters going to Rhode Island/Delaware area--two had to return to Walla Walla for repairs. Two trucks one following the other believe it or not hit a low bridge taking the top off one after another. Funny thing is they made the best money off these two harvesters.
I What could go wrong? Like the Shorts Skyvan that went straight up then straight down at Bethel Alaska when the barrels rolled back and took it way out of C.G. I saw that happen. I said to myself, it doesn't matter if it burns - he hit the ground so hard, no way could he have survived. Then it did explode 30 seconds later. So sad, he was just married with a young child, if I remember correctly.
Wow I remember that crash. I was out there right around the same year. I'd have to go check the logbook.
I looked up when I heard the Garrett/honeywells 331's screaming. I said to myself what's he doing ? at 100' AGL right over the numbers. He's got 5000' in front of him, plenty of room and no need for a go-around. In a level attitude with the yoke all the way forward, it looked an unusual attitude. After impact that Shorts couldn't have been more than three feet tall. He took out the laser-beam ceilometer which created months of work for me in the FSS.
That happened to a 747 in Afghanistan some years back . . .
Ha Ha Ha... Sky you know better than that. Those aren't headlights they're aircraft landing lights.
A modern steel grain bin would provide way more storage volume compared to that house at far less cost than moving all that rotting wood.
I feel for the driver who doesn't have a clue how heavy he is, when he leaves the field until he's stopped or goes over the scale. If the person loading you doesn't know what he's doing, you could exceed the scale capacity causing load cell damage by overloading the capacity of the scale . Scales are rated based on what their load cells can bear and going over that limit can result in severe deformation of the load cell itself. This could result in anything from making it less accurate to making it unusable altogether. Maybe we need more crazy overweight trucks to damage scales enough to permanently close all scales ?
Most all the scales at grain terminals around here have a 135,000 limit. You be very hard pressed to to get 130K on a 40-20 A train or B train. Most all learn real fast operating the bank-out wagon fill till just under tarp hoop directly over hoppers will be close to axle weights. At 105,500 there are some cross at 112,000 but they know their heavy, and allot of grain wagons around here are equipped with scales. Every refer unit my old employer had were three axle 53' plus scales, because the trailers are normally pre-loaded. * And that trailer above looks to have a scale box just in-front of left front axle.
Oh almost forgot, yesterday was a interesting day. The CDL examiner for DOL was there setting up cones for testing three new ones. I was headed to the office-noticed these two older guys observing from the sideline. Nosey me I walked over and found out they were from {FMCSA] Seattle & Denver, rare to see or meet one of these people. Were there checking CDL testing procedure for the east side of the state. So I took the chance to bend their ears a little, my main question was about GVW & GCWR on the 450, 550 and trailers being manufactured, farm license tabs and so on. * I don't remember all that was said--------------but I walked away with a grin, damn I'm glad I'm old.
We don't have to much DOT scale activity up around me, and what there is I carefully avoid, but I have wondered how it would really work out. I usually end up hauling off jobs into pits to dump, or hauling out of small pits with no scales. Today I was hauling out an old foundation on a demo job I am wrapping up. No scales in my excavator, I don't think truck scales existed in '92, and the truck is on Hendricksons, so no air pressure to watch. How is one supposed to reasonably keep track of axle weights?
Become a bean counter, I have seen where air bags added to steer on truck with Hendrickson to get steer weight which would give an approximate on drives. I just got pretty good at guessing on ones I drove. Loading produce in refer, figure how many on pallet/average weight & whether pallets are hard wood or not or wet or not. On a 48' 22 boards one singled front and rear, depending on what load is 21 boards. In the old days you got figure the Ice Too-Corn on the cob was iced. I carried a calculator when I was on the dock. Some docks had scale on a table so grab one and weigh it. And figure in how much fuel you got on.
My dad was installing scales on trucks in the late 60s/early 70s. They would have had steel suspension then for sure. He once tried explaining to me what they were but my eyes glazed over. I think they were log trucks and I think they were some sort of fluid filled load cells that went under the bunks. I'll see if he remembers one day.
Correct-on loggers-those were fitted to the bunks.
Here is easy enough as Bushel Counters on Combines made close guesswork easy. Dependent of moisture general rule was 60lb/bushel, corn varied more than wheat or beans. Average Tub trailer here can Pack close to 850b beans or corn, wheat gets hard to close the tarps as fluffs so badly. Hopper Bottom have seen 920b as they entered the barge loading areas. but were pretty tight loaded. Dumped wheat where Mids come back out of the mill, hopper bottoms would load until flowed over and MAYBE would hit 81k, I could not get to 78k with that messy crap flowing off the sides.
Not many load heavy when hauling from field these days, took years for John Barley Corn to figure out overloading doesn't help expenses on equipment. But that's a good reason for the 10% overload to be cut back to about 2%.
Bushel counter on combine is near useless to load trucks most instances. Scales on grain carts are pretty accurate, but often can't take overly long to fill truck or combine will be waiting. Modern cart can drop 1000 bu in 1 minute, so material is moving pretty fast. Corn is 56#/bushel, wheat and soybeans 60#/bu as standard. Actual density changes. Beans are often lighter than standard, while corn often heavier. A 43' low side hopper can usually hold about 1150 bushel of corn or 1050 bu of soybeans. Both would be over axle weights, so load with discretion. The guys with high sided trailers to haul light loads like wheat mids or sunflowers can get heavy really fast. Properly loaded, the cart operator can't even see the pile in front, and barely the pile in back.
Trucks I drove locally had air ride pressure indicators, knew truck weight empty so easy to load legal. Simplest form of doing it right.
That's when the lazy ass driver climbs the trailer in the cloud of chaff to motion when enough is enough. 24 years ago when I worked for Ag company I had four grain A train grain sets hauling out of fields. One of the drivers needed a day off for dental issues, so I drove that day. The four drivers had a pool going $2 buck pot a day for the one who hit a perfect 105,500. My first load 105,520, second load 105,480, third load 105,500. I pissed them off, but left their money. That includes calculating fuel burned as day wears on, just have to get out and take a look.
I need something like that on my dump truck so I don't overload it.
Even this last summer when I hauled I had three different trucks to drive-two 40's and a truck trailer. Most loads bounced between 79 & 80K for 30 days with no scales had several right on 80K. Just isn't that hard.
100 & 200. DT-100 Onboard Dump Truck Scale | Walz Scale With a typical accuracy of greater than 98%, this onboard, easy-to-install dump truck scale includes deflection transducers, mounting hardware, digital weight terminal, and installation manual. www.walzscale.com
For that price I rather do a "slam the brakes" test to see how much I weigh. Yep I went this far I'm too heavy
I knew when posting it would get a wow.
I would rather get a fine than pay that price, fine would be cheaper for the number of times one would get caught way out here. https://oversize.io/regulations/oversize-overweight-fines-by-state/montana
TH: "Properly loaded, the cart operator can't even see the pile in front, and barely the pile in back." TS : "That's when the lazy ass driver climbs the trailer in the cloud of chaff to motion when enough is enough." $150. Backup camera mounted in hopper. https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Wir...9&psc=1&mcid=04b27ce02c1f330a9bb666e16dda3602 Mount one in each hopper, sit in the cab, and don't get run over by the cart.
That's a nice idea--but the world has enough fat ass truck drivers, need to get out of the cab stir the Pharts and shake them down their pants leg and watch the loading, they just might see something wrong with the equipment their driving too.
Know a great deal of "Tiny's" that have not EVER been on their Hopper Bottom Ladders!!! AKA Slim, Scarecrow, Big Bones Bob, etc!!!
TS: the world has enough fat ass truck drivers, need to get out of the cab Who are you calling fat ? !!!!
I spent a couple years hauling chips out of the woods from portable chippers. We have scale beams under the fifth wheel and a sensor (vulcoder) reading the trailer airbag pressure and both can be read in the cab. Wood weight varies greatly depending on species and moisture so eyeballing is difficult. I can sit up front away from the noise and wood dust and tell the operator when to quit and be within a thousand most loads if the trailer axles are sitting on fairly even ground.
Had issues at one quarry with the Tractor Trailer readings, loading in the pit, slight off level, loader tended to be quick and heavy handed, would try to catch it but often ended up close to three or four Tons over. No Scales, seldom any portables on route, took it and hauled out.
"Had issues at one quarry with the Tractor Trailer readings, loading in the pit, slight off level, loader tended to be quick and heavy handed, would try to catch it but often ended up close to three or four Tons over. No Scales, seldom any portables on route, took it and hauled out" You're not a team player !!! What option do you have ? besides being difficult.
dump that load on the ground and offer to show that loader hand how to do it. When I was loading topsoil on a landfill closure with a 988B, they brought out another guy on a 980 to "help me" I had 25 dump and pups on a short haul and they saw some trucks sit for a couple of minutes. That is another story. That guy on the 980 was rough handed and side loaded guys and had dirt on reaches and up on the boards and the drivers were up shoveling off the boards and cussing when they got under his bucket. The boss came out and said to him, I have 25 drivers who want to leave and I have you. Who do you think is going to go? There is no excuse for crappy operating. Pay attention every time the truck pulls away and see if you centered it well, put dirt on the tailgate that you could control, etc.
Guy was THE operator and part Owner. No functional scale in Loader so we got what we got. Bonus haul for local Concrete company we hauled out of there for. Just a Bonus Day!!
That does not change a thing. The guy needed a calibration. Some day someone will give it to him. As bray said above, somebody is "going to be difficult"
Anyone one with a puss gut and coke bottle ass!
That's a great/perfect term for a brown nosing dirty phart smeller.
Bolted tail gate loads-I was hauling the 8 year old slop from the kill floor that was being dredged out with a 225 and canal bucket for Superior Pack lamb processor in the berg, parent company is in Dixon Cal. Ripe doesn't even describe years old rotting sheep guts. Anyway it was soup so tailgates were bolted because of surge possibly blowing the gate open . I was rounding a curve In The Killer Tomato a 1975 Ford LN 9000 with you guessed it a screaming 8V-71 with a TURBO a big 350 hp, it was painted tomato red {three painted like that}. Anyway I had unsecured load when I had to brake a little hard because the car ahead instantly decided they needed to make a rushed left turn, I was staying back from traffic but this time I had to add a few extra lbs of air. * Over the stoop it shot covered the cab hood and trunk of car that just had to make a fast left from 40 mph. The slop covered both lanes--STINK oh it was RIPE. Got on the company radio for office. County Rd Dept showed up with a water truck and flushed the street--the stink and flies at that intersection were thick till the first freeze.
Oh, you're not alone with that type of spill, TS - this was a truly sh**y day for this KW driver in Crowley Vale, Queensland. A car pulled out in front of him without looking, and the sh** hit the fan..... errr, cabin. It's waste from a sewerage treatment plant, and it was described as "somewhat odorous".
Just eyeball up the tires, when there is a good squat it is getting heavy . . .
Or tire pressure is low.
yikes! this must have coined the term " knock a buzzard off a Sh** Wagon!" The age if it is about right. We all try really hard to look ahead and keep bad things from happening. I suspect that event tuned your spider sense up to unheard of levels.
Yup ^^^ in every job there are ways to improve by doing simple little things. I'll wager the bad operator didn't keep a tidy pile either, just plow in the middle and let the soil roll out on the sides of the bucket.
For the price of a tire pressure gauge and a few pieces of poster board you can weigh your truck, loaded or empty.
Here we go again . . .
I've got to try that. I've always wondered how accurate it'd be.
I weighed the front axle when I was hauling water and was 500# from where the owner said it was. I still need to make a video over it.
The truth often breaks people
All right, I like this guy. He covers it all: shifter extension, low visor, fake Southern accent, and bad habits
I love it!
Yep, that must be it . . .
Eaton Autoshift Transmission. * It was said in another thread {every tool has a purpose and specific job}. The job of the autoshift is to create more drivers for a lagging industry. The population can swipe through apps galore and operate a I-Phone/Smart Phone with ease and look at someone who can't/ doesn't know all the features and strokes it takes with a look of astonishment, give the same I Phone group a very simple task of operating a shift lever and you will get the look of--------- {*** you must be kidding-that's manual labor}.
what are these three sticks, this is not Demolition Man
I learned a split shift from a manual. I'm not aware there is a smart phone manual to study & practice.
Photoshop ?
That's true-but if a mistake is made on the I Phone it doesn't cost the price of a gear box either.
Thats a Kobelco SK100 according to the ad. Wow, just wow...
Holy Mackerel
I think the more operative phrase is Holy ****!!!
One look at the pickup tells a person all they need to know, it's going to be like this for eternity--people crossed the line 7 years ago-regulations, rules, laws, no longer matter--that above is the norm from here to the end. So the contest should entail being the first to film a Guts Glory Ram moving a 395.
By my calculations thats close to 30,000lbs on a bumper pull hitch behind a srw truck!
At least run it on a gooseneck . . .
Lifted and stupid tires too. I hate that look, my company truck is just like that.
All the lift and silly wheels and tires do is de-rate the load capacity of the truck.
And you have to jump up into the truck, any spit of water on the ground ends up on your hood or windshield, a truly idiotic thing to do to a truck that will be off pavement. I've done a lot of stupid things in work trucks, never needed a lift or high offset rims, you either sink to the frame which a lift wouldn't help anyway or your fine.
It's got rubber tracks so it can't be that big.
That's what she said
This looks big and heavy to me
About 24K
Pretty sure the SK100s were right around 22000lbs. At least he had 4 chains and binders….wont help in a panic stop though, but I’m sure the electric brakes are all working as they should. Good thing is,nobody ever pulls out in front of someone towing something.
That payload is actually legit on some of the newer DRW trucks with a gooseneck. 37k Gross trailer on some of the Fords, I suppose the other manufacturers are nearby.
As we’ve discussed before, the manufacturers are pulling these ratings out of their ass. Those “ratings” have no regards to safety or longevity, they just have to be more than the competition, to sell more trucks. It’s a race that’s never going to stop until the NHTSA, FMCSA or other such agency makes them stop.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, we routinely gross 36k on a gooseneck with 24k axles behind a dual rear wheel f350. It handles it very well, but what I don't like is having that much more weight on the trailer than the truck. It's an absolute necessity to have good trailer brakes.
Not heavy at all, if you calculate iron weight subtract about 100 liters in the cylinders. By the time you factor head space, crankcase, & valve train you're down near zero it weighs. Just kidding.
Using numbers from my truck and a load I weighed, I don't think you make it. My 2006 f250 7400 Dually trailer 10,000 Payload 24,000 40k A flatbed version of my truck typically weighs 10k That trailer could only do 22k, so it would be overweight by 12k
1 little wire away from a very bad day. There is no panic button to hit that has that little battery on the trailer take over. The trailer has to come loose first. Air failure applies the spring brakes, it is a world of difference. I make a point of seeing what it feels like to brake the whole load with my truck only. This has significantly reduced my appetite for towing a trailer that outweighs me by 100% or more.
I hope you limit speed to 55 mph doing that. I've done 30k a lot in that setup and it's pretty dumb
I went 58 once and didn't die.
You are incorrect. First, a 2006 is not "newer". Factory tow ratings for 2006 era super duty vs '11-16 and '17 and up are worlds apart. Second, when I said "gross trailer" I am referring to maximum loaded trailer weight, which you are conflating with gross combined vehicle weight. Some of the heavier 2022 Ford trucks are rated at up 37k loaded trailer weight and over 45k Gross combined weight.
I was using just straight weight and not ratings. How much does a trailer that can do 24k payload weigh, you are going to be over. 10k truck 24 payload Leaves 11 k for the trailer weight or whatever rating you are going with. Good luck
Cool, I look for the low occurrence things that hit ya hard.
45,000lb GCWR on any 350-550 sized truck is ludicrous. Most class 7 trucks are around 50,000lb GCWR and that is damn heavy in any configuration other than a single axle semi.
Hauling over weight is a industry, it sells tires, axles, bearings & seals, suspension parts, brake parts, diesel pickups, equipment trailers. it's all part of capitalism these days.
Wonder if my 2006 Ford Ranger would handle that load? A four banger and five speed manual should be just fine, Right!
Just need a dolly for the hitch
Isn't that wheel at the front of the trailer for, the one with the crank handle one it. Just crank it down till the truck rides level! Dang! Now that I've said that someone will give it a try and post it on IdiotTube.
You guys ever see that pic or video where a guy used a trailer under a trailer and another trailer as a dolly and it got red tagged for some reason.
My senior year we only needed the barest of excuses to get cut class. @Truck Shop knows this location well. One of the guys tried to climb up on Manashtash between the Wenas and Ellensburg. There was a good crust on 3~4' of snow at that first ridge crest out of the Sheep Company road end, and he got on top----for a while. Then his little short bed F150 4x4 punched through, and it looked like somebody set a cut off cab and a canopy on the snow. One of the good guys chained his Jeep truck up and go get him out. He was doing OK by all recollections until the chains broke on one side, and reached in and took off the brake line and tie rod. This was on a Sunday. Monday about half the class mobilized with shovels and snowmobiles, and I brought this crappy little old farm trailer up behind the '59 Apache Panel.' Not my pictures but that was the color on the F150 and J10 We lined the Jeep up with the trailer by kicking the floppy tire as we drove it up on there, then we strapped it down like a poor man's tow dolly. It was only a few miles to his farm and we got there in 3 pieces OK.
I have a friend could show you how. He delivered 5 12' Black Locust logs 12" small end in the back of a OLD battered four cylinder Ranger. On another occasion he delivered 12 power poles 20 to 30 feet long in a borrowed trailer. He has a mini excavator I'd guess 3 ton, tows it in a dump trailer.
Not the usual dually pickup story: I'm an electrician First van I picked out myself was a 1976 Ford F150. Tires, wheel bearings, driveshaft universals, rear springs, brakes, were a near constant need. After a few half tons, I switched to 3/4 ton, I get 50,000 from tires now, brakes last until the rotors blister from rust. Wheel bearings last 150,000. Only real nightmare has been transmission, & torque converter. They have replaced torque converter 3 times, transmission once under warranty. I feel poor engineering, 8600 LB GVWR, 3.42:1 differential & double overdrive in trans. I've smartened up & only use drive on level roads, tow/haul nearly always, 100000 on this trans. I sure expect short life of parts towing very heavy all the time.
I bought a new SWB F-100 4WD in 1977, fitted with the 302 V8 and a 4 speed manual transmission. It had no power steering, was fitted with 10 x 15 cross-ply (bias-ply) tyres and was the worst thing I'd ever driven. You could hardly hold it on the road at speed, it would tramline all over the place. I cannot believe Ford Australia would release a vehicle that drove like it. I ended up getting Ford to fit power steering to it, and I changed the tyres to Goodrich radials - all of which made it a far better vehicle to drive. I suspect Ford also increased the front axle caster when they fitted the power steering. It was very capable off road, with great ground clearance, and it could carry a surprising amount of weight. I took off to the city from where I lived 285kms out in the Wheatbelt, to go pick up a new, full set of track shoes for one of my Cat D7's. The Cat dealer loaded them on, and the F-100 sat down quite a bit! I made sure the pallet was right forward against the back of the cab, so the load was spread evenly between back and front axles. I took off late, near dark, and got home late that night. I unloaded the next day, and then started thinking about exactly how much weight I really did have, in that full set of track shoes? I went and looked up the specifications for the weight of one 22" extreme service shoe, and multiplied that weight by the number of shoes on the tractor - and I was stunned to find the F-100 had dragged home almost 2 tonnes (4400lbs) of new track shoes in that little load!! She never really felt like she was overloaded, she handled well at highway speed, and the tyres handled it just fine. I guess spreading the load really helped.
"tramline" . . . Must be one of those Aussie words . . .
"Tramlining" is when you have tyres that follow contours in the road surface, and you have to fight the steering to keep the vehicle straight. The old bias-ply tyres with their stiff walls were bad for it. Tramlining - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org
Learned something new today. The word that is, I am familiar with the handling characteristics.
My Grandfather referred to that condition as- "You don't drive this truck. You herd it"
I drove a twin steer that seemed to do that, it had tall skinny fronts instead of floats and I thought I was driving in the wallers in the road like a bob sled
Donner pass (I-80) has several tram line areas from snow chains but Cal-Trans is working to improve it.
I've been working over there a lot lately and they sure took their sweet time getting started, left it all summer and then made it into a rush emergency type job. It was because of the heavy snow and chain requirements all last 2 winters but from the look of it now, the repair window has closed. As slow as I drive I always want to stay in the right lane, but up there I have taken to hanging out in the left and only moving over if somebody faster is coming. Can't stay on that rough aggregate for long.
Tramlining as a term for following road groove has been a world wide term for years. The one most don't hear or know is River Run. * Groove wander - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org
I drove i80 across Donner pass this winter. I thought at the time I'd never seen a concrete roadway that was in as good of shape as that but as heavily grooved. I never thought about tire chain damage. It's not something we do in Kansas.
my favorite is dog tracking. That office trailer has the axles on all kerflooey and I can see the whole side on the right just fine. I am going up to put some 1.5" flashing under the roof cap to kick the water out. When asked if making it wider was bad, I replied that it already towed 9' wide and nobody cares if you put your trip permit on it and all the lights and brakes work.
The major pass for roadway tire chain wear--Lookout. Rough as a cob, the amount of flats from chain links-massive.
Well of course it is an "emergency rush type job" that way they can suck all kinds of overtime out of the job.
Not exactly overloaded, but a rather novel way to move a dozer, at least around here . . . View attachment KIMG0662.JPG View attachment KIMG0661.JPG
That works!
It's all contractors, the State doesn't do that type of work themselves. Some places they are grinding a slot a few inches deep and repaving with epoxy where the ruts are too bad. Other places they have been digging out the entire slab and reconstructing it. All late in the fall when snow can fly any day or night. Of course we had a fair bit of low snow yesterday and Wednesday so I'm sure they are done for the season now.
All this talk of tire chains reminds me that I have a brand new set for sale
What size and type? Scratch that, by the time I paid shipping I could probably just by some here!
It's not over loaded, big rubber on trailer, no speed limit being broken, has plenty of warning lights, for short distance it's a good idea no paper needed.
The 11r22.5 kind, nice chains, I think, they are still in the bag. Not much use for tire chains in Kansas anymore. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Glacier/PWH2247SC.html
Looks to me like he could've fitted another couple of logs on.......
Wow-proud of those, I was buying same with cam locks and bar over lock for $54.00 a bag. Although it was 200 bags on a pallet price.
I got 2 sets of dual rails sitting around, I contemplate time to time whether I should get another decent semi or stick with a 6 x 6 and try to find a way to make it work with more speed and power.
A JD450 behind a SRW Ford Superduty?? I wouldn't want to be sharing the road with him!
Looks like the curb will touch the rim when that front trailer tire pulls over it
Don't know trailer specs, but that's a DWR Ford which is capable of handling that 16k or less weight plus 4k worth of trailer
But towing that much on the bumper? How much weight is on the steer axle?
Spud Monkey - My bad, I thought I saw SRW - now with my cleaned glasses, I see it's DRW, and capable. But the receiver hitch (or more importantly, the way it's all attached to the chassis) is the big $64 question. I had a receiver hitch on my 4WD F-100 and the chassis rails ended up cracking, just occasionally pulling a 1000 U.K. gallon (4500 litre) 4 wheel, articulated front axle, fuel tanker.
Actually, The trailer is overloaded, but not far beyond the tow rating of the truck. I believe the platform rating of F350 SRW is around 22000 LBS. An early JD450 was only about 14000. That newer one looks much heavier.
Truck weighs around 8 probably so unless that trailer is made of ghost metal, it's probably not great
Here's one I saw on C/L . I think a lot of these are just staged, nobody could be that stupid, right?
That's very common east of the Rockies.
There are any number of people who just have to see just how far they can test the engineers calculations. Remember when we had these plates on the dash or the firewall? They had the same type of people back then, too! I can recall demolishing an old prospectors hut in the W.A. Goldfields. Under the floorboards was a copy of the "Kalgoorlie Miner" newspaper, dated 1936. In the motoring ads there was one amusing ad. "For Sale. 1935 model, one-ton Chev truck. Will carry two tons".
Correct, per-capita same number of morons now as was then except we have youtube to thank for showing more of it.
When I bought my derelict gold mine in the early 1970's, there were a couple of Huntingdon Crushing Mills left installed, out of six that had originally been installed around 1947. huntingdon crushing mill - Google Search In the bushes nearby there was the remains of a 1-ton AA Ford truck - just the chassis and wheels and a few panels, and the remains of a wooden tray. An old Slav prospector named Mick lived nearby - and he'd been there since 1923 - and I was talking to him one day about the Huntingdon Mills - and how they got them to the mine? The rail line ran past about a mile away, and the Mills would have been sent down by rail - but I was keen to find out how they got them from the siding to the mine. "Oh, they brought them up here on the old Ford truck!", said Mick - gesturing to the wreck of the old wooden-spoked wheel, AA Ford! "But a Huntingdon Mill weighs SIX TONS!", I said to him. Old Mick grinned. "Yes, I know that! So, we drove real slow! But you shoulda seen those back tyres, I thought they was gonna bust!!"
That looks like a 10 ton trailer with those low profile tires on 10,000 lb axles. They use a single tire in place of duals.
I think you can run singles if they are rated for at least as much as the axle. Those look like heavy wheels and probably 16 ply 17.5's.
The tongue looks like it's built very light. Doesn't look like much bigger than 8" channel. Could have a heavy web I suppose.
In 1976 I bought a ford 1/2 ton van with a payload allowance of 2000 LBS. My one ton Power Wagon weighs 5800 LBS with a GVWR of 9500. Newest Ford 1 ton F350 GVWR is 11000 Plus.
That may be a legal load? I have a 450h. Tandem axle trailer with a rated load capacity of 14,600 lbs. Pull with a Ram 5500. I wouldn't personally haul my 450h on my trailer unless I was going about 200' on flat ground like hopefully this guy is doing.
Ginger Billy strikes again
Note the extended mirrors lol! See a lot of unnecessarily extended mirrors around here; usually on an empty pickup or with a “sled“ in the back.
And I always like those truck with tires so wide they hang four or five inched past the fenders. Would love to see it after a couple miles on a dirt road after the rain. Not to mention the dings and scratches from the stones tossed off by those tires!
Here, extended mirrors without a load apparently indicate that you are from a certain "social" gender group that are trolling for a new partner. Could be an urban legend or real, I don't know nor do I really want to find out.
Remember freshman year of high school? Dwarf walked around arms far to his sides. He wanted to look big & scary. Dodge is marketing to that dwarf.
It's not legal here but they don't enforce it anymore. When I built my CJ3B during 85 to 87 I built the frame and bought a new body. I cut down/narrowed a Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end & used 5 on 5.5 early 60's Imperial axles with a custom 5.38 ring & pinion, I out boarded the rear springs which with the 10.50 x 15's set the tires outside by 4", so to keep johnny law away I had some stainless flairs made & installed. That was a fun Jeep to drive with the 300 plus horse 289 and top loader 4 speed it was real quick stop light to stop light. It also had a Warn overdrive with a Timkem bearing'd military case. Narrowed 44 in front with rack & pinion. I hated the flairs but had to keep within the law. *
"Oh Rapid Roy, that stock car boy, He too much too believe..." Thanks for sharing another nice build you did TruckShop
Jim Croce.https://youtu.be/4z0sqLw2RRI
I dont think i have owned anything that the tires stuck out past the fenders . A buddy of mine had a 1990 chevy pickup we worked at a shop tire store. He bought a set of rims that made the tires stick past the fenders. We put them on around closing time and head out on a 30 mile trip half gravel road . The next day he put his old rims back on. It was that or put a 100 gallon windsheild washer tank in the bed. More than half the pickups i see have tires sticking past the fenders i dont know how they coup in wet weather.
They are expensive, and $500 a rim plus $500 a month at a car wash.
The dually pickups aren't immune from looking ridiculous anymore, either. Big blacked out spoke dual wheels sticking out 4, maybe 6 inches past the fenders and tires so close to each other they could pick up a 1-1/4" rock. Well, 2" anyway.
here is a gem with his stacks and dumbo ears out. If you break down brother, I'll finish your tow with my beetle. I got ya covered there Brocephus.
As of late I've been seeing some that touch at the ground, clearly a No-No.
Couldn't even afford matching trailer lights, pathetic
Looks like he jacked up his airbags to help with the heavy load too!
And anything you can do the Irish can do better, https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeLhYMEw/ I think one of the trailers might have hydraulic brakes and the Ford will have some form of rear axle brakes
Looks like some of the brakes on those wagons were locked up.
Not an overload, but a couple of trucks tangled up on the Raging River bridge this morning. One of them was a load of eggs and that trailer got the whole side peeled off. There are eggs all over the road. Highway 18 is closed. YUCK
He's still making payments on all the foofoo bling on the truck . . .
I drive with them extended on my f350. If I don't hit those, the wheel flares will be ok.
I got an idiot nephew with the stick-out tires on his ram. I commented on it more than once, but then again, he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed, or the roundest marble in the sack
Here-these are for losers that can't drive a pickup with or without mirrors extended. custom made for big nose Dodge, Ford & Chevy's. *
carry a few of these to put over those things. Less than a buck apiece.
Well, laugh if you want but i make a lot of trips into the city now and usually wherever my wife wants to go has those little parking stalls that once you’re in, one of us doesn’t have enough room to open the door. Maybe i need those goalposts as i get older and my depth perception gets worse. Or maybe i need a small pickup but i still need the bigger one for towing either of my two trailers. However i do like using the folding power mirrors so at least i can squeeze by after i get out of the truck
In the UK, parking stalls and roads much tighter. You fold your mirrors most of the time. When our friends visit they marvel at the acreage of a Coscto parking stall.
This could be the start of something Like the ducks people leave on jeeps
I have the 360* camera views with parking sensors. I don't know how I drove the first 35 years without them
I can't remember there was one truck I extended the mirrors on, I think it was a Chev as they don't come with tow mirrors or something. Haha as I look this stupid work truck with lift and offset tires has the mirrors extended out, it has power so I just now pushed them in. When I drive this truck I always think I'm going to hit something I wonder if it's the tires or the extended mirrors.
I used to think I just left the mirrors folded out because I tow a trailer most of the time with the truck and can’t be bothered to fold them in. Now I will just leave them out to **** off all the people that seem to care about how it looks!
At least when the Ministry of Works showed up to move my 450 track loader they had an F350 with dualies and the same trailer to move the machine 5 miles when I opened the dump after hurricane Dorian.
I never knew it was a problem having them out. Why would anyone care what position I have my mirrors in?
I don't think anyone does.
I think people are just poking fun at the extended out for no reason. Obviously I can't tell the difference I've been driving around for 4 weeks with them out. I did drive a little with them back in and it does make me think the truck is not as wide.
You guys must have never slapped mirrors with one of those on a 2 lane road, it happens all the time around here.
We have a lot of really narrow twisty forest service roads here. VHF radio is essential and often “empty” must find a pull out; no width for passing.
We rented a car in the UK to drive up to Scotland and around. The Motorways are huge and much like any interstate at home. We went to Balloch for the night, and the next day started up along Loch Lomond. Pretty quick stuff got real. We would be cruising right along and then the traffic would brake on down to ~10 MPH. It was two trucks, or Lorries as they say meeting on a narrow bridge. At each one of those bridges there was a scattering of mirror pieces along the road. The guardrails were high enough to get car mirrors and it was that narrow. It was not technically a single lane bridge, but rather a talented two lane bridge.
Here are the eggs from yesterday. They dang near killed each other, but the trucks escaped a bunch of it and the trailers clearly did not. That container sliced the entire side off the reefer.
Nice!-- Nice wreck great driving skill!
they are tearing it up there to fix that issue.
Most of the rest of the country used dozers to build their roads, Some parts of MO seems to have just paved over the deer trails . . .
This bridge built in 1927-Vantage Wa. Wanapum dam went in bridge was torn down and moved to Lyons Ferry on the Snake River in 1962. Only one truck at a time across, Pickups with trailers or RV's normally leave parts and pieces on roadway. *
I liked the one-way bridges in NZ that were also used by the train( maybe on the Coromandel?). The one-way tunnels were fun too, especially seeing a livestock hauler squeeze through. No point in trying to be in a hurry on those roads. Lots of scenery to enjoy while driving the Forgotten Highway if you ever get the chance
That posting should be "banned" wayyyyy too much information.... I want to see the photo of him hanging chains dressed like that.
So I guess that is a whole new spin on "Overload of the Day" . . .
There was a local tow man around here like that, about the same build but he did always wear the same filthy flannel shirt. But shorts and untied hiking boots summer or winter, so you could easily see the fluid leaking from his ankles, dragging chains and cables down in the mud to yank some truck out with his old Holmes. Otherwise you would find him slumped in his computer chair with his arms down the sides and knuckles practically dragging on the floor. The thing was, whatever was stuck when he showed up, came out.
Nothing odd about that--Walmart shopper.
Not pretty.
Tell me all about it.
looks like it keeps the cab corner out of the bight when jack knifing.
The truck even has the ghetto wheels . . . I'm guessing that's about 45k on the trailer deck . . .
It's so low the dovetail is nearly in the ground
Did that 3rd wheel on the traailer give up, or is it a mud flap ? Joe H
It's a mudflap. You only need the third axle when you exceed 50K on the trailer.
I ordered the Dodge with the large stainless trailer towing mirrors and they've been turned out since the truck was built. Never have "smacked" them on anything but they have been rubbed against trees and such manipulating into position someplace. Mirror heads are replacements as the carbon steel interiors that held them in position long rotted away internal to the stainless shell:
That is spectacular. I wonder if he ever got moving again after pulling off on that grass. Can’t tell, looks like a T86 bobcat ctl with a mulcher head, probably weighs 15k, E145 at 36k, truck at 9k + 1k of **** in the bed, 8k for trailer. Lets do some quick math....yep that’s dang near 70,000lbs gross!
But those wheels . . . the pickup identifies as a semi ! ! ! I am pretty sure you would be hard pressed to get that load on a semi legally, at least in Wisconsin. I am not sure what the light weights on an appropriate rig would be, but you aren't going to get permits to go over 80,000lb with multiple pieces of equipment on the trailer. I suspect that load is pretty close to or over height as well, the excavator needs to have the blade pointed the other way so he can tuck the boom down into transport position.
Poor dog!
Well, thats the most disgusting image i’ve seen in recent memory
Perfect Spud--That photo grabs the full essence of trucking in america, covering everything from dump trucks to OTR.
All this discussion over these photos of overloaded goose neck trailers with pickups. Who Cares. The Industry building this crap expects it to happen knowing no one looks at GVWR. We all know it's wrong-nothing is going to stop it. It's strictly entertainment at this point.
That guy needs a brodie knob so he can eat more efficiently. And a bib. Joe H
Pretty sure I had to work on that guy's car once or twice. I think he had a newer Ford pickup that needed a blend door motor . . . Cigarette ash floating everywhere the whole time you are dismantling the dash, argh . . .
We had a guy show up last year with a farm implement and he was barefoot wearing a "thong", (I **** you not)!!
On behalf of everybody on HEF, (Or most everybody anyway) thank you for not posting a picture to prove it!
It would be removed with prejudice.
WTH are the suspenders for?? Steel belted T-shirt?
TA stop in Troutdale---walking across the lot--cowboy boots, cowboy hat with a feather dressed in panty hose- don't think that didn't stop time.
When I was 18, trying to figure out what I was going to do with myself, I decided I was going to be a Big Rigger . . . longnose Pete with a flattop and all that. The State of New York didn't trust a fellow with a class A until 21 though, so I settled for a B and figured I would just have to wait three years. A couple of trips to the TA in Maybrook NY cured me of that nonsense . . . I only just got my class A a few years ago when I went on my own and bought a dump with an air tag . . .
Truckin ain't what it use to be. lol
I was blinded by the very sight.
Just one of them CANNOT Not See it once engrained on the retina!!
Ozarkian Speak is Ridge Runners BTW!! Wagons and Horses were ridden along the ridge lines to grind in roads, MO just opted to Pave Them that way. Used to be Several MO River Crossing Bridges built in the 1920s/30s that managed a 8'6" lane supposed to be 9', Hauling grain or machines would ALWAYS suck in the Driver side so not to Slap the Other guys in the opposite lane, was a bridge at Sibley MO had to Stop and draw in the Right Side, keep the white line ON the tire edge or take your own mirror out on Bridge Iron, that one is coming down currently. Horrible road into META MO is state rte 133, is a old Ridge Line road, it also undulates side to side about as bad, dragging 43K of Urea down that from US 63 into Meta was a white knuckler as every truck that should not ever been on that road was always on that road. Diamond Pet Foods has a plant there, so always 53' 102 wide box haulers headed in or out and working that non existent center lane. Site was at one time served by Rock island RR, but that closed down and trucking took over. Turnoff to get on 133 off US 63SB was a 180 degree hairpin and Uphill, has since been Rebuilt 90 degree.
Welcome to Texas hehe
Judging from the belly, the driver looks like the one in the two most recent posts.
I'm sure some on here think I'm harsh about drivers, obesity, filth or a new abbreviation DOF. The DOT needs to start a new branch--DOF. That crap in that cab with the FAT driver---------- That's NO JOKE-that depicts a wide percentage of truck cabs. Hell my old company had several of those type drivers, the one thing missing was 4 one gallon jugs full of **** setting on the floor. Some have a 5 gallon crap bucket in the sleeper, FACT. I've worked around these losers for years, it only got worse with the driver shortage. I was wearing a face mask and gloves long before covid came along. Nothing worse than having to repair something dash related in a pig sty. Bad thing is my old company started putting graphics just like that on the tractors. * The guy who does the truck detailing for the company has had to put body lice/body critter bombs in the cabs of some trucks 4 hours before the complete cab interior washout begins, which in some cases has taken 10 hours-cost to clean one like that highest bill I know of was $1,400. * It's unamerican to not be obese anymore--{Can't Get Enough of That Sugar Crisp} remember that ad.
Below are two new $250,000 each, rolling homeless shelters. *
Truck shop you should refuse to fix it till the driver cleans it up the cab, a few days sitting with no pay might help.
I don't do that work anymore, and those types of drivers are NOT going to lift a finger.
We had them back in late 70s until I got out of direct contact in the 90s with open public. And yes a mechanic would if not could refuse a health hazard to work on, were some that bent wrenches I swear wore the same uniform for days unwashed, just as bad they seemed to not care as were just as nasty.
That's a fact---Filth Beasts, puss gut with coke bottle ***. Those big fat ones packing all the Biscuits & Gravy around, arms so big and belly so fat they can't reach anything, take twice as long to get a job done, been there seen that. Can't even zip their overalls up, with a dash of egg stuck in their beard.
Just driving past a brake check area or wide spot where a truck can park tells what kind of people are driving trucks now.. Disgusting. Glad I'm done.
This one is not fat.
OK, as long as we are on the subject, I'm fat, I'm 60 pounds overweight. I can't get a DOT medical card anymore because of my weight. How do these jokers still get medical cards when they barely fit between the wheel and the back of the seat? I'm also 71, so having a medical card isn't a necessity anymore. And I don't want to be in traffic anymore unless I can carry a RPG to clear out those that I think are bozos. My patience has worn thin....
I felt bad for the dog they sent in there! Hope they took him/her somewhere for a bath when done!
Quacks and other strange 'Medical' personnel that were approved of License to do so. Our regional Quacks are Chiropractors in Warrenton, Jefferson City and Union MO. Can give DOT physicals but not really Medical Doctors, all too many passed thru.
The owner of my old company job--has had just about enough. This last spring they took over/ bought out a irrigation pivot/wheel line manufacture {Thunderbird}. He is sick and tired of the babysitting, bad attitudes and filthy lifestyles/habits plus just the industry in general. Not more than a couple of weeks ago I was in the office-he said {you know you are right this a carney bum business just a racket. I'm tired of dealing with the accounts, the purchasing of equipment and the lousy pot of people to hire, it's a constant no win situation. * The irrigation business along with a few other off shoot businesses are to provide for easing out of freight business.
I had an auto repair shop for 10 years. I refused to work on many vehicles because they were dirty/smelly/roaches, etc... And I had techs to do the work. I didn't make them do it!
When I worked in the auto shop my boss didn't turn anybody away for a filthy car . . . not for lack of opportunity though! There were a few that I drug a trash can and the shop vac up and spent an hour of shop time cleaning out though . . .
Nothing quite like pulling/removing the sleeper mattress finding interesting articles left plus a whole family of bedbugs.
Our ‘Surprise’ nickname was Pigpen 78 frtlnr CO, driver dropped it off on a weekend, dropped writeup in the key slot of the shop. Sent lube/cleanup kid out to bring it in as needed service, came walking back. Only comment was “Its Alive Inside”, two bug bombs set inside the doors we walked away. Next day was brought in, looked like a street under a streetlight on the doghouse. Heard it jacking up, then the glass Tink Tink Smash as dropped off shifter insert to the frame drag link then floor, bottle of Pizz. Boss came our, saw it, had us empty snd pressure wash Inside, anything cloth tossed. Fired Pigpen
Hard to believe how some of those people were raised
Or were not.
Not sure where this is from but very interesting.
Just need a tow dolly and some jack stands
Listing like it has a full crapper.
I once saw a huge '60's or '70's vintage camper hanging out of a long bed pickup about like that going down the freeway. Only it had it's own booster axle under it. I would have liked to be able to look closer at it.
Hats off to the guy in the truck . . .
Are the brakes and tires scrap after an event like this?
Since TS did not answer yet, I will take a stab: The ABS will have distributed the flat spots around the tires, and the brakes should be able to handle a single heavy stop like this pretty well, in fact the brakes did not see quite as much heat in this stop because a lot of the friction was between the road and tire rather than the pads and drums/rotors. Still I would be finding a wide spot and look things over real close. We have all had to jam the brakes from highway speed to a stop more than once but maybe not quite that dramatic.
Only did what had to be done at the moment, what saved the situation the driver of truck was alert and started braking as soon as the *** wipe in rolling **** house started to move. Every inch counted here. * Brakes are ok-but tires will have a good 4 inch long 9 inch wide flat patch, shake like no tomorrow. To make that kind of smoke the brake system saw a full 70 psi application, but to stop in the distance he did it was not fully loaded either. * Now for the possible entertainment that could have taken place. {Just what do you folks think would have happened if the hammer was actually a Dodge, Ford or GMC 4500 with a 35' gooseneck with electric brakes loaded to 45,000}. There would have been takagutchis, toro-dingos and sukiaki's laying on the road or on top of a car. All great fun.
My son's buddy asked to use my garage to rebuild a 1985 triaxle equipment trailer. He progressed well for a time, then project stalled. I wanted my garage back, so I offered to finish the project with the understanding it'd be half mine. Within a week after completion, his neighbor wanted to borrow it. He made a 1200 mile round trip, empty half the miles, lightly loaded with shrubs return trip. Made the whole trip with electric brake control turned all the way up. New tires were octagon after 1 trip. 6 new tires later, I said I'd store it here & no more loaning it to idiots.
I was more noticing what he didn't do; a lot of guys in a situation like that seem to start getting all excited with the steering wheel, and wind up jacked up in the bushes when they could have saved it if they understood their vehicle.
I'll wager that truck driver had to pull off the highway to change into his brown corduroy trousers.
People are way to reliant on brakes and not using that tow/haul engine braking
People are too much in a hurry.
He didn't have time to overthink it, stay straight with full application, I seriously doubt he is a great driver-just got lucky is all, by just standing on the pedal it made him look like a hero.
Wonder how many times I've said that on here.
Fat lady sitting on the full crapper.
Something tells me the truck was also empty, because 40,000 lbs. of freight would probably have pushed him through the RSH, or come through the front of the trailer. Or he was hauling a load of sponges.
you don't get that camera perspective very often. It is impressive how well it stopped. I had it from the mirrors last time I saw a panic stop, and he was not going to make it so he let off and took the shoulder past me. My bonehead was probably heavy. Certainly #$%!#$ around with his ##%^@@ phone.
What scares me is to the best of my knowledge in most states you can get behind the wheel of one of those RSH's towing a car and are free to drive on the open road. Before driving that RSH the biggest car that person had driven was probably a minivan or Ford Escort! And being I'm just a few months shy of 74 feel I have the right to say there should be an age limit or special road test before someone is allowed to pilot one of those plus maybe an annual retest!
The driver of that RSH is lucky to be alive AND lucky the truckdriver didn't get out and give him/her/they a good country arse whippin right there in the road.......
The abbreviation/term Truck Shop coined RSH. Soon grandmas will be calling a RV a Rolling **** House . * These days it would probably be a inner city *** whippin. * Fact is right after that incident there were two more in progress somewhere across the U.S. Can't stop progress--good or bad.
Reminds me of a naval story... In 1807, Captain Hornblower on the 38-gun frigate HMS Lydia, sailing the Caribbean seas when they spotted a lone French ship. Before the battle began, the captain shouted, "Bring me my red shirt!" It was a long fight but the captain and his men were victorious. The next day three more French ships appeared. The captain cried, "Bring me my red shirt!" and they proceeded to defeat the three French ships. Later on, as the crew was resting and tending to their wounds, an Ensign asked the captain why he always wore that red shirt. The captain replied "I wear the red shirt so that if I'm wounded, no one will see the blood. That way everyone will continue to fight on unafraid." The Ensign was greatly moved by this display of courage. The next day, a fleet of ten French ships were spotted. The men looked to their captain, waiting for his command. Calm as ever, the captain cried out, "Bring me my brown pants."
Here are some fine Woodstock LT Hippie Chick RSH's-a slight turn from overload's. *
My favorite thing to do in the winter time to slow folks down is find a road killed deer that's pretty solid and stand them up as if they are about to cross the road. Snow tends to hold them up long enough till someone catches on.
There was a deer killed close to the turn off into town. I bet it was the amish kids but someone put a pillow under its head and some helium balloons with get well soon on them. I dont remember were i saw this but a big dog was found dead along the highway . It was winter frozen stiff . A guy propped it up close or on the road and watched people slow down when they saw it but one guy speed up and plowed it . The frozen dog didnt do his vehical any good.
Really impressed with the window work in that third pic.
How much safety glass in the front of those. Stained glass in the third photo.
Carrier of leprosy.
Nice, 240 hours of schooling to be a trucker and downing a beer at a truck stop
Photo was circa 1980. It was a setup photo shoot/story about the rough hero life of the over the road trucker and owner operators. It told heroic stories of driving through canyons dodging bus size boulders falling from the cliffs caused by earthquakes and lightening, dodging tumbleweeds the size of a house in 100 mile per-hour winds. driving long hours seeing purple 8' bunny rabbits being chased by elvis in a ufo.
bennies and dexies Oh My!
Weren’t those little white pills with a cross on them? From what I heard back then…..
Speed, Crosstops, Beaners.
When I was a lad washing and greasing I heard the drivers talk about “candy”
Truth is most all truck brokerage houses years ago-the dispatchers had a drawer full of pills to hand out. It's the part of the business that always disgusted me, imagine the dispatcher saying- {Yeah the load doesn't pay much, Ill get you a good back haul, here's some stuff to keep you going}. It didn't pay well because most of the profit was skimmed, the back haul and pills just went with the rest of the lies. Guys worked their *** off just to be broke, a drunk with a pill habit.----It wasn't all dirty but a high percentage was.
Th9se mistakes can normally be fix by clearing history and cookies or shutting off and turning back on
Here is fine example of people dreaming about grandiose big nose pickups with over the top items like a quad cab. It just needs a set of curb feelers & guide sticks to make it a total mess of americana. Dreams of hauling a 369 on a gooseneck. Notice the driver even has a beard of sorts and a ear stud. *
This still does, and will do it for me. That new crap isn't going to be around ready to do this type work very long:
First week outa' big rigger school. Cut to 30 years later and it's that fat greasy bearded ba$tard from recent pics.
He looks like Burt Reynolds,
And don't forget license in every state where you knew someone who would let you use their address and mail you the license when it arrived.
That is no joke-late 80's I impounded a truck--the driver had 7 licenses and 11 failures to appear.
Sounds like my neighbor up the road, I ran background check on everyone. Looks like his trucking days dictate the quality of the person he is. One of his fines is $290k, must of taken a bridge down or something.
Some people are slow learners.... Ed
Well he is 69 years old now, barely has a pot to **** in, in his built onto rolling schithouse that someone built for him and eventually going to see dark side of me when he drops a tree on my property.
I drive the speed limit, yeah like the speed limit, and it's insane how cars and trucks will pass you. The other day I was following a oversize load that was going 45 ish, there was cars coming the other way pretty good and I was driving 50-60 so I just chilled 200' behind, the semis passing me and trying to whip the trailer into me to avoid traffic was insane, all to save 5 minutes.
On those Pills, the color and ID indent was what we knew them as, White Crosses, on a Wing and Prayer. Knew altogether TOO many lived on that ****, day in day out could not have used a public restroom as would have polluted the entire local water system with Speed. That Cab configuration looks to be an OLD K100 or maybe a Japanese Freight Liner. Do NOT know anyone that kept an accurate set of logs then, Funny Papers/Comic Books in stacks on the bunk mattress.
And what is up with that Ram, MOPAR recreating the Bison Bighorn Series Semi's? That appears to be a Tandem under that Crew Cab.
Another comment I bear striking resemblance to.
You thought that 10 wheeler Dodge was a bed wetter's dream, how about this for stupidity: What Your Truck Needs Is a Set of Sidewinder Missile Running Boards You could go for the classic chrome look with big hoop steps, or you could snag these bad boys instead. www.thedrive.com
Oh no--never surprised about anything, see it's better to stay pessimistic about others for the simple fact people are such a let down. Most are jekyll & hyde--seem smart and upbeat on the surface, below the surface either grinding an axe or very inept in a hurry to go no where or wouldn't dare lift a finger to help someone. Vehicles are a vehicle to show others just how stupid the driver is and most others are so caught up in their stalled life they just don't have time to look at crap rockets mounted on a crap pickup.
something got overloaded:
I guess nobody was checking the boom for cracks. I would think it originally started as a small crack and spread over time to the point of failure
Don't worry about that crack, just keep busting up concrete . . .
I've seen some of those broken booms in Hitchcock Scrap Yard's piles. Brand new tested to failure out at the proving grounds just outside of Peoria.
You KNOW there had to have been Visible cracks before That Let Loose!!
That didn't happen in the course of an 8-hour shift, that's for sure........
There is a youtube channel done by a welder I think in Texas. About 10% of his videos are of his repair of CAT excavator booms and associated parts. No idea why, perhaps they are weak, or really get over worked or are actually repairable, no clue. But the repairs are a sizeable portion of his videos. I doubt this is repairable.
IC weld
Here is the epitome of a BOOMER pile---a true super big nose pos, Excess at it's almost best. An overload of ***. *
Waste of a good 900
I remember all the mini' KWs and Macks that were made years ago on pickup frames, kind of cute, acknowledged to be only a "show toy" not for any real purpose except to have fun. To see something like this on the road or any of the other current abortions one sees, indicates there is a decidedly low testosterone level for many males. They seem to use excess money to buy things like this as testosterone replacement treatment. You can buy a lot of Viagra and drive a ratty old 1998 F250 or Chevy for all the money wasted on this.
There is a guy at the local logging outfit that drives a truck for them, he has one of those to drive to and from work. Except it has the cab, seat, and shifter like a Pete I think, or maybe it is a KW. I asked him, after driving a truck all day you want to drive one some more to go home? I guess he does. Another logger likes to go 4 wheeling on Saturdays in his Jeep, I said to him, I guess you don't get enough bad roads going to your job site all week.
Not my cup of tea but at least some one out there got off the couch and built something.
Yes Doug there is truth to that, it's better than using meth. If it would stop people from using drugs there could be thousands of these. It would be ugly.
I dont know if you or how many realise just how much truth there is to what you say.
Just need a 40 foot RSH hooked to it and Rollin down the interstate.
Yes--a 40' RSH tanker-20' of it a holding tank for extended dumps. Excess--we just don't have enough of excess.
Oh I realize it--have read three books on the subject, drugs--it's the #1 issue.
Just as Jumbo said-example of small male parts syndrome.
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7324851575120317742
I have been on those supered corner sliders. Funny one was my bosses GF had a 240Z and the ice hit in Puget Sound, and he asked me to drive it home. The main highway was stopped, so we crawled down the East Valley highway. 35 MPH road so very shallow supers. I'd pull up in stop and go. Stop. Slide to shoulder. Repeat.
It always amazes me how they have a little snow/ice storm down in places like Tennessee and the whole world just goes to pot . . .
Is kinda fun to watch those that almost never drive in this crap get hit like that. City of St Louis EVERY Time is even slightly slick NOBODY from the city ever remembers how to drive in it!!
Come to a halt on ice with very slightly warm tires, melting starts---water on ice and away they go. This is where the old sanders used years back came into play, just before totally stopped.
What's fun is seeing the look of desperation on drivers faces, I've seen when working recovery. Setting behind the wheel screaming every obscenity in the book--and the noise from their *** puckering drowns it out.
Those cars and pickups need to go into the grass to get out of that stuff lol
It's a pinball machine around now and through the night, 16* and sleet/freezing rain. It's going to be--Bing, bing ,bing----
You reminded me of that classic Portland video from a balcony, of cars starting down a hill despite warnings, and bing bing bing.
I think it was the same video, with a single axle Coors Beer delivery truck chained up sliding sideways down one of the Portland hills. It went close to 100 feet before it started to hit cars. No turning or twisting, just a straight line sideways slide.
Takeuchi for sale locally- from the ad "missing front glass, fabulous break out power". Mmmhhh. wonder if that fabulous is the reason for the extra iron?
Does it have one rubber and one steel track? Man that’s some slick repair work. That feller should have a YouTube channel.
What else does the ad say, abused and terribly repaired or works on all surfaces??
The saying “A Picture is worth a thousand words” comes to mind….
NO doubt
What a Pile!! As to the Ricochet targets, State Police, tow companies and body shops call that guarantee Income!
Looks like the upper patch already has a crack running through it...
Yes, yes it does. Comes with the second steel track though- maybe you get to install it yourself after purchase. Like putting on a steering wheel cover with your new 300,000 mile truck.
Makes one wonder how much other on that machine is baling wire and spitballed together.
Rode hard & put away wet comes to mind. Joe H
More like still in the chute!!!
Here you guys are expecting a ruby.
And still up on Face mark for $35K....
I think diamond in the rough explains it better.
I'm a project kind of a guy. I'd buy it for $15000. spend a month & $10,000. in parts & materials.
Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com
Truthfully I would not offer $10k knowing damage exists unseen due to visible destruction. That is a far sight worse than even my old Fat Allis.
I'm tell'n you guys it's a ruby, great deal, ain't going to find a better piece of **** to waste money and time on. Look at all the hours it will give you hiding from the wife, all the great things to worry about that otherwise don't matter. And when done paint it Cat Yellow--no one will know the difference. Just motor around digging holes in the neighbor hood.
darling wife witnessed a dump truck wreck this morning. The light changed and a Walrath dump and pup jackknifed from the middle lane and hit the car on the right with his pup, let off and it snapped back enough to hit the car on the left too. Ouch!
Yesterday I left at 4:30 on a tow, roads were slick along the Columbia river. Got back around 9 last night. And finished the tow this morning. * Left at just after 8 this morning, had a little freezing rain earlier on. So kept it at a comfortable 50. Then when I got past Wallula Junction I noticed traffic south bound was real thin, like none. Because I had cars behind me wanting to haul ***, and knowing something wasn't right I turned the 4 ways and rotator on to give warning and easy does it. About that time I could see in the distance red & blue. The Shaffer-tractor was into guard rail jacked/smashed. At the jersey divider out of vision was another tractor smashed into the Shaffer trailer, and that trailer jacked into the mess. Both totaled. I was third in line, they were letting traffic through a little at a time. As I pulled up to go past a DOT & WSP stopped me--Would it be possible for you to drop that one and drag these clear? Can't I'm not bonded or insured for recovery-I'm Not For Hire sorry. So many wrecks in the area tow trucks were all out. Traffic south bound was backed up well over a mile. *
Then when I got near the Pasco yard I came upon this fun little wreck. Same company one rear ended the other at off ramp stop sign. Professionals they are, freeways are loaded with them from coast to coast, all in a big hurry to go no where. *
Not unlike the idiots that hurry up to pass you to get 1 car ahead at the next red light. When the snow hits there's no shortage of morons. People trying to pass on the shoulder or idiots in 4x4's thinking they can drive in the ditch to bypass an accident or long line up. You have to laugh when you pass their trucks stuck in the deep snow.
I saw a dashcam where somebody tried to pass in the snow, and got clipped hard by the plow truck with the dashcam. They lived but that looked like a wild ride.
Had to be a Subaru. Those people think they're invincible in the snow.
There's a few video's like that online. That driver was really lucky. The back of his Subaru was ripped right off in pile of scrap.
It's a popular rally car so they think they are in a rally and can do whatever they want.
they don't have a corner on stupidity. When I was young it was jeeps upside down. Short WB is the worst on ice but they were not going to listen.
Well I saw two SUV's and one 4 x 4 in the rhubarb this morning and none were Subaru's. The 4 x 4 was a gut's glory ram though, all jacked up with no place to go.
In the last week two vehicles were hit while passing plows on the right.. I think this one was on the coq….
25 will get you to your destination sooner than 55 because you don't have to stop to pull it out of a ditch, bend metal and write paperwork, can just keep driving toward the destination.
Precisely
Pickup and semi both southbound sideswiped. This is just south of Vernon on the 4 lane (30 minutes south of us). So far not saying the details…. Happened during the most recent snowfall….
Driving 90kph(55mph) here may get you run over by the idiots. You have to be constantly aware of the tailgaters
They raised the speed limit to 60mph now there is a shortage of HPs so there is no limit on the highway i am close to .
Exactly. Most seem to be oblivious that they may be driving on slippery surface/black ice etc…..speed sign says 100km/h after all!
Welcome to MO or TX and ESPECIALLY GA, been in all three to experience that!!
I try to follow a semi that's going kinda fast but slows down often, probably a experienced drive going the correct speed of the road and they also slow down for bad spots and I can slow down way before I get to them. It's still a little slower than the light weight SUVs passing me but I make it. 3/4 ton pickup with 60 gallons in the bed.
Who’s at Fault, Pilot Car, Trucker or the Bridge⁉️ . . #trucks #trucking #trucker #truckdriver #peterbilt #scania #kenworth #semi #largecarmafia #dodge #diesel #dieseltrucks #dieselpower #dieselmechanic #diesellife #righttracksystem #stance #power # Who’s at Fault, Pilot Car, Trucker or the Bridge⁉️ . . #trucks #trucking #trucker #truckdriver #peterbilt #scania #kenworth #semi #largecarmafia #dodge #diesel #dieseltrucks #dieselpower... www.facebook.com
Well, the trucker is going to be the one wearing the blame for that - he was the one right in the seat, controlling where it went. We never went under a bridge with oversize, without stopping and checking - a lot of bridge height signs are wrong here (mostly, the bridges are higher than signposted). But you never know when they might have done some road renovation and altered the clearance, and not changed the signage. We once stopped and cursed our luck as we arrived a bridge we had permit clearance for (hauling a Cat 245 excavator), and found it was signposted lower than our travel height! We set to and lowered the hydraulic suspension, and unbolted the A/C guard from off the cabin - then we sneaked forward to check overhead clearance - and then promptly found we had 2 feet to spare!!! I like this one, he made a proper job on all those cars! But it looks like they were destined for the scrapper anyway, he just speeded up the job! 19K views · 10K reactions | What was he thinking⁉️ . . #trucks #trucking #trucker #truckdriver #peterbilt #scania #kenworth #semi #largecarmafia #dodge #diesel #dieseltrucks #dieselpower #dieselmechanic #diesellife #righttracksystem #stance #power # What was he thinking⁉️ . . #trucks #trucking #trucker #truckdriver #peterbilt #scania #kenworth #semi #largecarmafia #dodge #diesel #dieseltrucks #dieselpower #dieselmechanic #diesellife... www.facebook.com
Well it's obvious they only had half of the costume going, no three foot beard, no sparkling face jewelry, no sun glasses on top of hat, and no safety vests with all kids of tactical gear hanging, the little guy following spike turning in circles.
In the US Midwest repaving is the enemy. Fourth or fifth application of Asphalt and a 16’ limit is down to 15’6”. Signage not ever adjusted or highway engineering records. Highways modernization is raising old overpasses and bridges but far from fast enough, to in many cases 18’ clearance. Room to fudge even worse.
Same here.
The guy who hit the bridge near me in Joplin with the crane on the lowboy- no ticket, no citation, no fines. MDOT says the overhead clearance wasn't right because of repaving, and the bridge was on their list to be replaced anyways, so the state is just going to take care of the bridge. I don't know what their ins. company had to say about the truck and trailer, as well as the crane damage, but that's minor compared to buying the state a new bridge. https://www.koamnewsnow.com/news/jo...cle_b90bf73a-0a1e-11ee-bf17-7fdc73c075b9.html
Here on I-80 from Roseville to Donner Summit, which was built around 1964, they took to cutting the legs of the old bridges and jacking them up to 16 foot something, and recasting the concrete legs, rather than replacing them. Seemed like a smart idea for seldom used little roads that had become a bottleneck for oversize. They also seem to mill under any bridges when they repave, so it comes out the same elevation. In some places they mill miles of highway through open fields before overlay, don't know why they do that.
I-90 concrete was milled in the 90's, grooved from trucks and tire chains. It lasted a good while.
The pilot cars here have poles on them to see if the clearance is correct, I still wouldn't know who's at fault I'm pretty much on your side
There are two main passes at the middle and south end of the Cascades in Washington. White pass is a two lane road with a few passing lanes, and is higher than the main road Snoqualmie interstate 90. It gets plowed better because there is a minimum of plow trucks but only those two lanes. The milk trucks with the winking cow on the back tank drive over White to the plant in Chehalis with all of the milk from the Yakima Valley and beyond. I get behind one of those guys and do not pass them at the passing lane. They are plenty fast enough and I have never seen one of them have problems. They see the elk around Packwood for me and I can just sit back in the easy chair and let them do all the hard work. I lay back far enough that they know I am along for the ride. They blow off the fresh slush and rain, etc.
Almost every city, county, state and interstate here in Central AL is milled prior to resurfacing. Talking with some paving guys they said the gov't entities expect so many tons of millings to be credited back in the contract. I guess it's a way of saving money? No idea since I hate asphalt.
I think you'd have to be ON meth to build something like that..........
Here in Washington, they claim it is cheaper. Mill the surface in the morning, send it to the plant and send it back out to lay down in the afternoon. I have read claims that less than 10% of the material is lost and would need to be replaced by new. No idea how accurate that claim is, but it is made regularly. I can see the reasoning, finding aggregate here in the Puget Sound basin is getting more and more difficult with houses springing up everywhere and nobody wants a gravel pit in "their" back yard.
Shave and pave. A great process if the sub-surface is suitable. Another is to pulverize, grade, compact, and re-coat.
they grind out between the rumble strips and don't have to go back to restore them. I did a job with Wildish out of Oregon at Centralia and Chehalis, running tack truck, excavator and loader etc.
They do that here as well to some extent. I don't think that they process it and send it back out that fast, but I'm not sure. Our state has also experimented with what was called the CRAB method, in which they add cement (dry) to the ground asphalt, then add water and lay it out. They then put a cap lift on it. I don't think it has worked very well as it is really tough to get the mixture and water consistent.
I think apac here grinds and removes and uses milled to repave, then later regrinds the removed asphalt for the next job
IIRC I saw mention years ago of a "Train" consisting of a mill, overhead conveyor to a mixer, hot tank in between, and a paver at the end.
I've seen that done here. Grind it off at the front end of the road train and lay it again out the back.
Most of the big jobs like the interstate were done with belly dumps, then picked up with an elevator like a Roadtec. It's too much of a PITA to drop and pick the pups. Now the super solos are the kings of the moderate sized pave jobs. That is mostly all they haul around here.
Great pictures Mike. That overhead one with all the plywood shimming over the island and laid down marker cones, that one shows how much goes into making a move like that happen.
They did that not far from me here, entire width from shoulder to shoulder was milled down whatever thickness they were going, fed through a bunch of machines, and laid back down all in one continuous process. It has been at least 3 or 4 years now and it is as good as any fresh road, no seal has been applied and a few heavy winters, no cracks or disintegration out of the ordinary. It was sure a long train of machinery when they were doing it. I don't remember what heat source they were using to heat it all.
Roadtec has a machine that uses a cold emulsion. https://www.astecindustries.com/products/details/cold-in-place-recycling
Is that thing made out of plastic? The trailer tires aren’t even squatty
I assume that is his trailer and Herc let him load it on there? If I was working at that rental yard I would have told him to go get a bigger truck and I did not want to fish my dozer out of a ditch upside down.
Looks like 8 heavy tires on the trailer. From what I see it might be a 15 or 20 ton trailer. If the trailer is overloaded it may not be greatly overloaded. The truck is another matter.
I got a new spin on it. It's a service truck, right? Air compressor? Mechanic with a great imagination rigs up air brakes for the trailer. Nothin but the handbrake baby!
Could be moving it between their job sites and Herc wasn't informed.
300 psi in the tires?
215/75R17.5 trailer tires are rated at about 4500lbs each in dual configuration. 36,000lb max load on the tires in a tandem setup. That dozer isn't that big. The tires are fine, and probably the trailer is as well. The towing vehicle, not so much . . .
Question is--- did he wreck or get pulled over? answer is no. Is what he is doing correct? answer is no. Is it going to happen today across the U.S.? answer is yes. The reason for these stunts, cheapness. Which goes back a on going thread about DOT numbers, do I need a bigger trailer and truck? Answer is yes or hire, simple, but the issue is how can one screw the wording around to mean something different so it jives with what {They want to read, interpret or hear, that meets their own cheap behavior along with overloading}.
Or it's gotta move and no one can do it until Tuesday next. Joe H
Like those flat rate boxes from the Post Office say "If it fits It ships!"
Multi-vehicle Mission! | A Fleet Takes on the Transportation of Tonnes! | By Sammie | Facebook A Fleet Takes on the Transportation of Tonnes! www.facebook.com Something heavy this way comes. Joe H
They put the "real" trucks at the back............
I've often wondered what it is inside transformers that makes them so heavy? I've seen these things go 600 tonnes in what appears to be dimensions that are relatively not much larger than a couple of shipping containers.
I can't say, never had one apart. They have iron cores wrapped in copper. One big enough to feed your house weighs 400 LBS.
Don't a lot of them have a cooling liquid too? Old ones were full of PCB's and needed special care to remove them.
Little ones are full of some sort of oil
Askarel was not used by the time I was graduating high school in 1973. Transformers are still filled with oil, but no longer contain PCBs. Also big motor starters were once filled with Askarel as an arc suppressor.
Copper and iron wrapped as tight as you can make it is what is inside them, plus the case and fins are a good portion of an inch thick steel, everything is heavy. Of course utility transformers may have aluminum windings but that is only for cost, all the other heavy stuff remains.
Dielectric oil and if you don't keep the h2o below a certain ppm, bad things happen.
When I did roll-off for WM was dispatched to a windmill site to swap a can filled with "dirty dirt" contaminated with whatever oil was in a 6x6 transformer at the base of windmill that exploded. Onsite tech guy told me the oil used created acetylene when heated and needs to be vented properly. Apparently this particular unit failed to vent and exploded leaving a burn/soot mark 100 feet up the tower, shrapnel everywhere. Pretty bizarre sight arriving to site 1 mile up a farm road into an isolated hay field and seeing 10 guys walking around in hazmat gear.
NS/NP = VS/VP NS = Number of turns in secondary coil NP = number of turns in primary coil. VS = voltage in secondary coil. VP = voltage in primary coil.
Might produce a flammable gas but don't think it would be acetylene. That would create an extreme explosion hazard that trying to put out a fire with water would only make it worse. Acetylene is the most unstable gas and is created from calcium carbide and water, not some type of oil.
I'm sure there are toxic components in transformer oil, I believe it has been many years since PCBs in them. All oil is made up of hydrocarbons, with other additives. If it is heated or other reactions it becomes broken down to combustibles. If acetylene, I sure would be surprised.
Yeah, I'd be very surprised too. There would be a lot of bombs just waiting to go off if something went wrong like a lightning strike or downed wires or a short. I certainly couldn't see them listed as meeting ULC standards.
Oil will burn/explode just fine on its own, does not need acetylene or anything else, but pressure to atomize it like a diesel injector and heat and an ignition source which transformers have plenty.
We did semiannual oil testing on our oil filled transformers. Minor faults (old age) inside the transformer cause different gasses to be produced. The rate of change gives a good indication of the internal condition of the transformer. A quick search: Dissolved Gas Analysis (DGA) of power transformers is critical to condition-based maintenance (CBM), identifying faults and preventing unplanned transformer outages. The gas levels in transformer insulation liquids can indicate the existence of a fault, and the gassing trends, ie. the rate of change in gas levels can be used to determine its severity. The key fault gases in DGA are hydrogen , methane , ethane, ethylene, acetylene, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide .
That's interesting. CO2 would help extinguish a fire but I think the level of acetylene would be very low.
Dissolved gas analysis is a tool to know the condition of the inside of an oil filled transformer. The amounts of the different gasses are normally quite low. The rate of change gives an idea of the type of fault that is occurring as well as the magnitude of the fault. Tap changers for example create arcs as they operate and fresh oil might prolong the lifespan of the tap changer until a plan can be developed and equipment purchased to replace or repair.
Yup, that's what it does with lighting strikes....
I don't know the exact type of oil used in a transformer--but clean engine oil in a waste oil burner won't ignite worth a damn until it's cut with a % of diesel. In order to get a proper burn with preheating & atomization the oil requires contamination of either gas or diesel. And states so in waste oil burner manuals. * Which leads to-what kind of fool would be burning clean oil.
Probably where 40wt two stroke engine oil belongs
I reckon the video was on the Imlay Road in southern NSW when the wind farm was being built at Nimmitabel. Google Maps Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. www.google.com
It's true. It happens from the arcing taking place in the tap changer I am told. Been on a job with them, they do oil analysis much like we do on engines. Some companies come out with portable oil cleaning machines (kidney like devices)
Too many overloads https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1393395814882444 Do the get hazardous duty pay too? Joe H
I used to have a Hino and it had about 1/5th as many springs. As they found out more springs doesn't make the diff./axle any stronger and it looks like they've repaired them before. I'm not sure what's the most hazardous except everything they did. The video abruptly ends so don't get to see it back together. Maybe the camera man got killed??
I love the way the welder guy gets to wear the closed-in toe shoes, while everyone else just gets to wear flip-flops or sandals! And I don't know what would rate the higher risk assessment - climbing under a truck with all those dubious jack installations? - or doing a repair in the middle of a busy highway!? I wonder how often someone runs up the rear of a broken-down truck parked in the middle of the highway, in the middle of the night? Dave, it looks like the truck owner fitted the heavy duty spring pack! - but neglected to fit the heavy duty axle housing option, too!! At least they've moved on from 1950's British Bedford trucks.
Work under that truck......OH HE11 NO!!
Am I the only one that was silly enough to think they were going to replace the axle?
The video was too long for that, mater. I figured it was epic. Did not disappoint! That crew was a well oiled machine.
When labor is cheaper than salvage I would like to know the timeline, a lot of work was done. I think they just stacked two sets of springs on to give the truck a lift or the proper height.
Obviously no concern for dumping the diff. oil on the road. When they pulled the axle housing out the guy in traffic had about 2 seconds to turn it 90 deg's. before getting hit. There were so many springs on the truck it was like solid suspension. When they were jacking on the springs they didn't flatten at all. Would bet the springs being so stiff was a huge contributer to the failure. Hit a little bump and BANG, no suspension at all to cushion the bump.
Yes, but banning you from having a gas stove is going to save the planet
The eco folks are always dumping on the oilsands emissions. They are way less than 2% of the world's emissions. They aren't even the highest in N. America but they're an easy target. They have reduced emissions significantly over the years despite being a huge oil producer. The eco nuts need to focus on China and other countries with no regard for emissions.
Do you think they reused the ubolts?
Waste not want not. They looked hand built. You want to use the old ones so you can have genuine youtube revenue when it fails on the road. No fakey stuff here.
More than likely, But that is how it's done in those places, you don't see any fancy pete or kw service/ mobile repair or fancy tow trucks running around--we have it real good here--some haven't figured it out yet. Plus those folks know the value of a buck/they don't have so much loose cash to throw around. So it's fix what you have best you can and move on.
I bet that crew fixed several trucks that day.
No DOT inspections to worry about
Your right about that---the one thing in their favor--if they get over 45 mph probably doing good, rough roads and no freeway traffic to speak of.
Anyone else notice the brakes? Looked like hyd. brake wheel cylinders in that hub.
Yes it is HYD brakes . There looks like they could use a wrecker.
I admit I enjoy watching those videos from third world countries. I don't agree with everything they do, but they aren't afraid to get stuff done, sometimes in unique ways you wouldn't think of. Also puts things in perspective of how (relatively) easy we have it here.
My wife spotted this getting loaded up at Bigfoot Piling the other day, so I stopped and took some pictures. They hauled it out that night. @Tugger2 might know what exactly it is. I think it is a fender assembly that slides over some pilings, and they french cut those bottoms so it was easier to get started. That is my WAG and I'm sticking to it. The little sealed up side pipes are what is throwing me.
I wish somehow I could ship a bunch of stuff and sell it to them . I think they would buy alot of the used stuff i have.
We know how to spot Skyking now. Look for a guy wearing youth size shirts and a 58" inseam
Looks like some kind of mooring dolphin rub pipes up the sides and along the top to keep lines from snagging.Drive 3 36"? cans and drop it over top. Sure saves all that low tide welding. We do that sort of thing up here ,but everything is epoxy coated. Im really impressed with the galvanizing,must be one hell of a dip tank.
I saw a TV commercial from an ambulance chaser recently, targeting hotshot trucks. He was claiming commercial pickup trucks try to skirt truck FMCSA rules. He didn't address overloads, but claimed, ambulance chasing a pickup truck accident was lucrative.
Driving into town this morning past the scale (Vernon) heard truckers on Ladd 1 mention a CVSE (our DOT equivalent) ‘crackdown’. Scale has been mostly closed for the last while. They mentioned a 200 sized hoe on a lowbed pulled over…securement was two ratchet straps over the track frames! Saw the load still sitting there 3 hours later when headed home. I would say this is unusual, normally a pretty high standard of lowbed/heavy hauler around here.
Man I hate those guys. I love how most of the fear mongering footage is overseas stuff anyway. Never seen a Scania or Man cabover in the US . . .
That's pretty epic incompetence. It seems like somebody got in the wrong seat that day.
When I tow & lift by rear axle, the axle forks I custom built with a 5" depth in fork, so 5" fingers on both sides of housing. Then I use a straight belt no hook 4"W rachet strap rated at 6,000 lbs working 16,000 tear over axle and around drawbar stinger, I use two. Now When your buzzing down the Freeway and come upon a class 8 making a tow there is a 50-50 chance she's riding on the forks only. My Straps are legal, now if I was moving truck and trailer together it would chained and cinched with a rachet binder. *
Stuff like that is unfortunately very common around here, it's like the wild west of poorly tied down loads, overloads and drivers without a CDL. Most contractors think one ratchet strap over any part of a skid steer or mini excavator is appropriate. Some of the bigger guys aren't much better, just last week I saw a log skidder being hauled with only one chain and binder on it, wasn't even tight. A d4-d6 may get two chains/binders, blade not angled 10' wide with no flagging. Local law enforcement and state police don't seem to know or care, only seen a DOT officer around here twice in the past 10yrs.
That's why it's taking place, cat is away mice will play.
Dirt cops don't force me to chain stuff down right. I don't want it to move.
I was driving behind a 3/4 ton truck pulling a tandem dually gooseneck trailer yesterday. There was a Cat 262B (I think) skid steer on the front of the trailer and a bigger Kubota skid steer on the back. What really stood out though was the Kubota had a snow pusher on it that extended out both sides of the trailer at least a foot. Clearly over width and no signs, flags or anything else to warn other drivers. Idiots like that, that are over weight (on the truck) and over width should get ticketed.
That's you I would expect that from you. * For the amount of threads on HEF about CDL's, Overloading, Maximum loading, GVW's, GVWR's, DOT numbers, Farm license, Permits --and the 5,000 total replies or more, arguments, closed threads which I read a old closed thread today about everything listed above. And it never fails damn near every month something is posted about everything above.------And it starts all over again.
It's the same on the Welding Web. You get tired of telling how to do something over and over. I don't know why when a thread is closed because it went off the rails, and someone reopens it, it isn't shut down right away. It's just opening a can of worms.
That doesn't happen here, it's just the constant repeat, with the same results.
My favorite thing about the Internet is the ignore feature. Unfortunately most people that cause threads to get closed don't know how to use it
The fun stuff you see in the mirror The tilt has decking in front of the axles. Everywhere else is cleats and angle iron. It *used* to have deck boards between the frame rails aft. One day ( 15 years ago) I was hauling the empty trailer and one of them had come loose and swiveled out there where I could spot it on the cloverleaf turn. Ruh-ROH! It got deleted, and I welded a cross bar in there where the end of the stick sits now. It carries a little lower that way. I suppose that little bit of deck would be handy for binding down trench boxes, but it did nothing for the excavator.
Why don't you get your LEO license and show these guys who's boss
If people are too lazy to make 2 trips they should get ticketed. I don't want to get clipped by an unmarked or unexpected wide load.
Same here, I don't need the hassle/drama/expense of something coming off a trailer. The backhoe takes the longest to tie down since it needs 6 binders, still takes less than 10min.
If you let yourself get close enough to get clipped by a bucket sticking one foot over the trailer edge, mebbe you need your glasses checked?? I can understand being hit by a 16', 14', even a 12' maybe, but 10'? Mirrors on a truck almost stick out that far. Sheesh.
Ambulance chasers are the lowest common denominator.
It was probably about 12 feet wide. How hard is to put some flags on it or a wide load sign like semi's hauling equipment do? It at least warns other drivers. If the driver wasn't careful could easily clip someone from behind. If roads are covered in snow and ice the trailer could certainly slide into another vehicle.
Plenty of tie-downs. Those could very well be 10k torsion axles, so he's not overloaded on the axles. He should definitely have 17.5 tires, I will deduct for that. As long as he has a CDL, and not trying to cross a mountain pass, he's good to go.
Big difference in hanging over almost a foot, or almost 2' on each side. You said a foot, on an 8' trailer that's 10'.
Looks like 7000lb. axles but the fancy wheels would be the weak point. Plain steel rims are much stronger.
Look again. They are torsion. Impossible to tell without seeing the crank. Could very well be 10k axles. I have a pair on my tilt deck. But I have 17.5 tires.
I said at least a foot so could have easily been a foot and half. I didn't get out to measure and most trailers are 8 1/2 feet wide here. That's the max. width without requiring flags or wide load signs. It was noticeable because how far out it was on each side.
10K axles are usually dualies. Very few are single wheel. I also don't think Crane Op posted the pic. because he thought it was legal and/or safe.
Didn't you see that Dodge out front? He's not scared of mountain passes..... And I should be posting my own pictures. We did two straight truck loads the other day, 11' wide x 14'long. A 27,000lbs base and the big box of the walls was 36,000lbs, which would be just at legal for my straight truck. But I was a little over on width.
You should be ashamed**************** No flags, no signs, no flashing lights??? What are you trying to do, kill somebody? **********************
In my defense- I shut the road down at the top end, so no traffic to hit. But theoretically, someone could have left one of the 15 houses we went past, and got all tied up with us. The contractor I was setting them for was all "we can't just shut down the road". So I just dealt with that little problem myself.
Expected.
You do know I'm totally kidding, right? Most of my moves around here are gravel roads with nobody around. Most on here will probably have their heads explode when I say I only tie a small excavator or dozer down if I'm going on the highway. I do throw a binder on each corner of my 290 since I only have an 8'6" trailer.
You were also following behind so could warn other drivers. See that a lot.
Oh my, Here I go again getting myself in trouble: Should you do it? Maybe not. Can you do it, probably. Is it the govt's job to tell you NO ... No, it isn't. If you make it, great for you. If you do something stupid and kill someone on the way, get a trial. You are found guilty of killing someone from your negligence, capital punishment. An eye for an eye. People will find a balance when the repercussions are there for any given action.
Yeah, its not like its 6 lanes in each direction up there. Its easy to point fingers at everyone else's stuff, I figured I just as well admit when its my own things. We try to do as much legal as we can, but this was off the highway into a residential narrow road, for 3/4 of a mile, I just figured it was easier to just shut the road for the 5 minutes we drove down it. As far as tying things down, we moved a generator on site today, and only a 1/4 mile. But those generators are probably half a million bucks, and we had a bad little hill to sweep around, so I tied that sucker down.....
Usually if you have to question it, you probably shouldn't do it. Even with car accidents they say the majority are close to the person's residence or business.
In other questions, how far back from the center of the drive axle, do you think that gooseneck hitch is on that glorious Dodge with the pretty blue trailer? There's a lot of distance between the back bumper of the truck and the front of that trailer. I've always put my hitches just ahead of the rear axle to get a little steer axle weight. But in the picture it sure looks like its behind the axle.
Here's the thing----if's it's not with in the law---it's on your license IF there is a problem/issue. As the driver whether commercial or non-commercial once behind the wheel and rolling you just accepted all responsibility for any cargo, vehicle or trailer. The Cop is not going to the passenger side of the vehicle to check their license if there is a passenger, no the cop is headed to the drivers side, unless in OZ or NZ or UK. Anytime it's not kosher----the boss gets to do it, or the driver says not to day not on my license. It keeps insurance rates lower that way too. * Advise--if you have a CDL don't knowingly put it in jeopardy, and if you don't know ask, even if you get the wrong answer use your instinct.
Just camera angle, imo.
I was looking at that too and also thought the camera angle made the gooseneck beam look extra long.
Most transformers now have mineral oil.
I built my gooseneck back before every one had one . My pickup had a flat bed i built that was short . I cut the pickup frame right behind the spring hangers . I had to build mounts for the bumper it couldnt be bolted on the regular way. I then put my gooseneck hitch farther forward. Back then i was told to put it over the rear end yoke . I had it farther than that . It made it fill like under power it pulled up on the front end . Sometime later i built a new GN hitch and moved it back which felt better. I did a lot of work to the pickup i moved the engine as far forward as i could because my last pickup wore the front tires because of pulling a bumper hitch and it pulling up on the front end. It worked or something because the front tires last great and never wore funny.
You're going to send some of these Armchair Quarterbacks to the third floor of the mental hospital if you keep that up . . .
That's what hand-wringing, teeth-gnashing, and constantly being afraid will do
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=309324158804687
Or just trying to be Somebody on the Internet . . .
scary ride! Somewhat related, this happened somewhere in the Lillooet (BC) area. Not my photo, but know that country pretty well. Worked with an old time ‘cat skinner’ who would know the details but he has passed away….
Most of the wooden bridges I have ever seen look sketchy enough for a car . . .
This happened a few years ago. I had checked the fir logs (not de-barked) with a pick…obviously not carefully enough. 4’ slow motion drop.
This happened over 50 years ago, it was touch and go. Ravenswood, Queensland, Australia. They sourced a local Cat D8 and used it to pull the truck and trailer and scraper off the broken bridge without even unloading it. The authorities installed a temporary military Bailey Bridge to replaced the broken one, it was an important bridge.
Seems dumb to think that bridge would hold a scraper.
Well, that one sure didn't! The problem has always been that new equipment and machines get bigger faster than bridges can be upgraded. The authorities are taking out all our wooden bridges here and replacing them with concrete. Bushfires/wildfires, surprisingly, take out more of our wooden bridges, than overloads ever do.
Quite a few years ago there was an active train trestle bridge burned by arson. The fire was started by a volunteer firefighter. Not the easiest fire to put out. Those style of bridges are fabulous works of art and engineering.
I'm pretty sure that was in New Brunswick. We still have a few covered bridges and that one had a weight capacity that was obviously ignored.
I looked again for pictures of the Little Naches River bridge that was taken down by a D7 on a lowboy in 1979. No luck. @John C. remembers that one too. There was a pilot truck out ahead, and supposedly a guy in a pickup camper blew him off and went for the bridge. It was kind of like this, but I think the trusses were square topped. The lowboy driver avoided chopping the driver with the corner of the blade, and he hooked the bridge steel instead. https://maps.app.goo.gl/8rrUU8QFsaLR6Zak9 It yanked the bridge off the footing as it collapsed that truss, and the whole works went into the almost dry river. Luckily there was a bypass down the Old River road that was open. That road has since washed out in one spot. https://maps.app.goo.gl/cms2sBWmuyYeengQ7 We were logging up the Little Naches and did not have to cross the river, we turned right there and up the little river. We did see the drama, and later a bailey bridge followed by that concrete bridge.
I remember that.
Follow up…. South Fork bridge collapse, Gold Bridge BC April, 1987
OMG, no thanks! Question, do you 'spose that happens fast enough that you feel that weightless stomach drop sensation?
probably not that time. The glass is still in the truck cab.
Another over-height load yesterday in Kelowna. Stick not tucked in, boom not lowered. Yanmar 100, less than a km from dealers location.
Is that the dealer's truck???
That's nice!
It's things like that above---how do these folks pass a test. Last week I'm in the shop about 9:30 am, and the CDL examiner is giving a test. A rather load voice interrupted what I was doing-so it was time for a look see. Steve the examiner threw his clip board papers all over the ground. The driver that was testing had ran over about 10 cones and damn near backed into a set of flats. Steve yelled stop so loud even people in the office came out. The next thing out of his mouth was {Your Done You Failed for the third time---You better find another line of work because driving isn't your forte}. He was one real pissed examiner-never seen him lose it like that.
Has their decals…
Pretty hard to believe all right! Positioned with the boom way above cab height on excavator…
With a driver like that I would strip off any identifying marks I could. Not very good advertising.. Cheaper yet, just take him out back and shoot him.
I was under 13'2" on the old wood deck. When that wood went to heck 18 years ago, I welded up this stick catcher and got another 4".
4” bonus for sure, nice way to load quick & know your exact height/positioning each time.
At least it wasn't a bridge and the excavator doesn't look to have received much damage. I'm not sure if a mini-ex can pull the stick in towards the cab and fold the boom to be the height of the cab. I would guess they can. Somebody or some people not paying much attention to how high the machine was.
Safest way to transport to prevent damage caused by the boom:
Saves transport weight as well!
Something makes me think that wasn't fun to load with no boom
Roll-offs and flatbed trucks are not a good thing to move equipment. Just to tall to begin with. I've seen the results of a D4 on a flatbed truck and a low overpass. The rops was bent over backwards..the rr bridge looked fine, lol. Ed
they can get way below the cab. That guy was a meathead. I was not even trying. if you put it behind you and curl it up between the tracks it gets much lower.
Your's looks like it would be almost be cab height with the stick straight up and down.
Saw this on facebook. Since he's overweight already he is not adding to it with chains and binders.
He's got one chain
is that so the skid-steer doesn't smack the JCB on take off?
He's good it's only 2.5 loads only have to worry when it reaches the 3 in 1 ratio
at least he is not a meathead with the boom above the cab.
Back it on. Probably loaded easier.
Ok, this one officially passes the smell test for me.
Bucket on the excavator isn't set down, wouldn't want to scratch the paint on those nice ramps. Never mind the bent frame and axles....
Notice the picture taker has chicken sticks too. Maroons!
Look like an antenna.
I liked my version better.
That's to hold the loose skid bucket.... Hey they're both on rubber tracks....
You folks do know where ever that took place, 100 miles as the crow fly's there was another rolling along doing the same thing. Just figure at anyone time there is a minimum of 48 loads just like that-one in each state, with a minimum of one, more than likely two or three. There is no shortage of people in the construction business cutting corners, same with shops doing repairs. This morning on my way to doctor visit in Richland, just as leaving town a WSP had a lowboy pulled over. Had a large excavator on, over width--he was one hour before sunrise and not enough lights in my book. I think the WASP has the same book I do and wrote him up.
And you're not even taking into account all the hotshot truckers. Almost without fail, every hotshot rig I see with a single wheel gooseneck trailer or single wheel wedge car hauler the axles are bent. Often they have a stack of blown or chewed up tires in the bed too.
Don't need to--Hot Shots are a given--running lame--The true meaning of Gypo Trucker. Before deregulation in 1980--those types were called Wildcats. Most Wildcats were ones who hauled Hot Loads--didn't have proper permits for cargo on deck. Permits in those days basically limited what you could haul---You had to have permits to haul {House Hold Goods---Dairy products---Raw Steel--any Farm Commodity and so on. ICC kept a good eye on the situation. If you applied for a certain permit any trucking company within your area that had the same permit could contest you applying for that permit. Then there was the permit everybody wanted {The Grand Daddy--it covered everything}. When a company went out of business---the permits could be sold---any trucking company that had a Grand Daddy was setting on a small fortune with holding just that permit. * When freight was regulated--trucking companies made money-it kept the cutting of freight rates out. Freight stayed at a more constant level which kept rates at a level the public could afford. When deregulation took place-it allowed everyone to jump in, rates dropped for a short time, but freight brokers were the ones cashing in skimming the profits. And along with it the scab truckers running junk doubled.
But the railroad already hauled all the yak fat, can't have that permit.
Not discussing railroads---they have plenty of there own issues--like NFS with derailments, drunken trains.
See it every week here while Mo DOT is taking a harsher view of these. Stop the Hot Shots more often, scale runners are towed on Interstate and the bypass attempters seem to be caught far more often. Live and work within the law and will be no tickets or loss of licenses. And Yes I am aware I ran heavy, not ever did I challenge safety of machine or the public.
A little Citement in town the other day and I missed it. Saw the City Power trucks on Main drag changing wire and thought nothing of it, turned out a Logger ran through snagged several TV Cable and a couple of Triplex service drops, LUCKILY Fuses or Connections at Hot End popped first or could have been VILE. City Cop stopped him, then DOT Showed up. 14'9" tall, standard three axle Bunked Truck, Rear Boom, with a two Axle non steerable long Tongue bunked pup. Over Height, Bunks Bowed OUT to 9'3" so over width, Inspection had twenty seven violations then came the Weigh, 93120 lbs, and ONLY Licensed 73.280. Second truck called to haul off overage, then Third Truck to haul off remaining load, and finally TOWED entire rig to Home for repairs. Estimates were around $12,000, Fines, Fees, extra hauler pay and Towing. For roughly $4000 profit margin on logs. NO estimates for repairs but may have shut him down as a business on expenses.
That's good-make an example out of him.
He's prob made enough of these trips that he still has quite a little room to spare on the balance sheet. Not that it makes it right.
His response was angry to be caught, how stupid. Older guy, and supposedly managed to get away with it several times without incident, Fate is a evil witch. DOT was not making example, just following rules.
Correct--so all the more reason to step on him-he reasoned as long as he could get away with it he was going to keep doing it.
Tearing down wires is the second ultimate overheight ticket. The first ultimate is hitting a bridge.
Overload on the tailpipe . . . When he turned you could see the right front had about 10° of camber; the ball joints are falling out of it . . . .
FORD RANGER!
The front end may be worn out but its more important to look cool
Common on a high mileage Ranger.
There was a crop duster here that flew a Grumman Ag Cat--It was said by many at the airport he wasn't having a normal day if coming in for a reload if there wasn't telephone/cable tv wire trailing from his landing gear. The ultimate in flying too low ticket. * It caused the image of a family setting in their house watching the Munsters and suddenly the tv set was pulled through the wall. * A true happening by him---came in taxing along not watching what was going on ahead of him and chopped the tail of a 172 cruising out for take off.
Truck weighs roughly--17,400. That's how Junkyard hauled the KW to D Miller. Ask Junkyard what the axle weights were.
KW without outer duals and no head or fluids was close to 18000
Jefferson got caugt hauling us some firewood that was way over height like that. He eased up to the Naches river bridge and realized he would not make it, and he was backing down the freeway and around a corner when the state patrol caught up to him. He was probably 16' high. I don't recall what they did with him for that. He was backing from this bridge in the upper left corner, under an overpass or two around this cloverleaf. It had been down and dry and was not an overweight issue. RIP George https://obituaries.yakimaherald.com/obituary/george-jefferson-1086567096
That pete is minus a fuel tank and has a coffin box
Been over that a time or two--North First St.--I82--Hyw12. Rotary Lake--carp pond.
All the underpasses on the concrete there are 16+ and therefore unmarked. You'd think a tape measure would be cheaper. He was selling us X number of cords per load and getting greedy
They're not missing. Two of them sitting right in front of it Still. The guy is doing it backwards. I know which of the two trucks I'd rather drive
Well---that's even better--no fuel weight so probably under 17,000. The big one probably has a hole in the block.
All but the one headed south in the right lane on left hand turn-it's supered but at the fog line it was 14.6., Had been tapped several times.
1.9M views · 9.5K reactions | That ain't goin' nowhere | Yee Yee Apparel That ain't goin' nowhere www.facebook.com
Fellas you got to watch this on YouTube. I Bought a bulldozer, by Retired Dream life, He is very lucky, but stupid and so is the State Trooper! Unreal
Oh I wish for a downpour......
I had to reread your reply--I didn't say fuel tank missing--I said it's minus a fuel tank.
You mean this guy---bccat:-------------------People. *
That "Retired Dream life guy" is an accident just looking for a place to happen. His guardian angel must have white hair by now.
What percentage of the male population of the U.S. does one suppose is just like him? I would guess 70%.
Yup!
He does do a good job of building tension although I pretty much knew the end event when I watched the loading.... Just more proof that money doesn't equal brains.
There are those who want to do that stuff, and then those who have done it, and realize it is not all that fun going forward and backward all day long, and would rather pay somebody else to do it.
And then there are fools like me that can't think of anything better than going forward and backward all day trying to get better. The fact that others are willing to pay for that is just icing on the cake.
You can say that again.
At one time, Pennsylvania did not allow double semi trailers. New York, and Ohio did. That 40 mile stretch of I-90 that runs thru here, I knew of truckers who's sole job was to drive back & forth that 40 miles all day long ferrying the extra trailer for another trucker.....
Comment I left, guy says he has a CDL, if you did you wouldn't be making those excuses
To be clear, I was referring to a dozer going back and forth!
One thing that I have come to realize about some youtubers: They proudly show stupid crap. It must be to get increased revenue from their channel in an attempt to drive up views. It worked in this case as a bunch of us have now watched his video that normally would not.
^ I refuse to add my click to his pile. Even that preview in the forum page here is worth something.
Now How Many times have I said this crapp goes on by the minute across the country. Youtube or not, there are members on here taking their own photos and posting, only difference is they make no money from it but other wise the same result. But even so not a one hef member is going to make any difference by posting anything. Set at Home Depot have a cup of coffee and within one hour you will see someone leave with a questionable load/insecure. I have seen just as many rigs with contractor logo driving around here with some real questionable loads. * But it gives the perfect people something to do pointing out the imperfect people. Funny thing about this thread---90% of loads posted all have something to do with dirt work.
I agree, but what are we to do about these situations in real life, locally? It's one thing to get a good laugh or cringe about something stupid on the internet, another when it's locals that are doing it putting the life of you and your family/friends at risk. I've confronted several about it in person and they look at you like your speaking Greek, goes right over their head. Literally, "if it fits it ships," and "it's heavy enough it won't move, why tie it down" is pretty much the standard around here.
I just say "until you kill someone"
Which did happen just down the road here from me.
BV---why don't you repost that incident--if there was ever a better example I don't what it would be. * Fact is we are all flawed, humans are flawed, I'm probably more so than most. None of this about making a mistake, it strictly boils down to a lazy, the law is for others, I don't give two sh!ts attitude. There is not a perfect person on this forum, let alone the planet. People know when they are doing wrong, it's the lack of extra effort to at least try that I believe bugs people on here the most. We all do things we are not proud of, hell I got a pile of them. * The only thing that corrects these issues is when johnny law or an accident takes place and even then some continue down the same path. Fact, there isn't enough DOT officers on the highway in each state. They get run over the coals on here every now and then, imagine the highways without law enforcement. The average person in a car speeds, tailgates constantly, the law can't keep up with that issue. The real problem is a country with a selfish attitude, until that changes nothing will happen-don't hold your breath. * But I will advise anyone approaching someone who is blatantly breaking the law as far as a vehicle or load-----don't because there are too many that will act out violently.
For the ones who like to overload. I remember this ad. *
With Whistling Diesel being king d0uche.
this wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? *
That kid is one of the biggest pieces of **** I’ve ever seen. His attitude and the fact that millions of people watch him epitomize whats wrong with this country....
I've watched a couple of his videos. Really pissed me off when he pushed that Transtar COE off that wall.
Just the general sentiment, not specific to the Ferrari.
What made whistling diesel is the very thing we all use the computer. Before the internet there was no Heavy Equipment Forums or Youtube or anything else along these lines. If he pi$$ed someone off----LIKE SPUD says don't read it don't watch it. social media is what's wrong with the country, when people can't set for 5 minutes without picking up their phone to check how many friends they have--everyone walking or setting with their head tilted looking down.
And all of us on here are guilty as well.
The PC for me---I only have a flip phone, never had a smart-I-phone.
One of my employees had a flip phone forever, but could no longer use it with our provider.
My first phone was a flip lasted 14 years had to change because of 5G. I bought another flip because if I want photos I use a digital camera, plus having a flip I have a reason not to try texting. I only have the phone for messaging and direct calls. I don't need to go on the internet with a phone-If I do or did everyone around me has a I phone and are too willing to look something up for me, so I save the money and less time on a electronic devise plus I don't have to worry about dropping it.
Flip phone user as well. They are getting more expensive and harder to find though. I used to be with AT&T. I would go into a walmart when I needed a new phone, buy a $20 free to go phone, and pop in my sim card.
Same here, which seems to be a rarity for someone my age. 90% of what I do are phone calls and the amount of texts I send are limited. I don’t like smart phones mainly due to their distraction and lack of privacy/security. Also, I personally don’t think they are as good for making phone calls as a flip phone or traditional telephone, their size and shape is better as a tablet then a phone.
Were i live there are lots of Amish. 98% of them dont work on the farm they have a lot of construction gigs . They buy or hire a guy with a pickup to haul them and there tools bobcats . I am not downing the drivers but most of the time are doing this because its about the only thing they can do. They overload everything and never tie anything down Its scary.
Kind of a Concern on OLDER Farm Trucks, are seeing it here to a LARGE Problem. Loss of Hydraulic Brakes. Not Leaks, Not linings shot, NO BOOST. Hydrovac Booster Systems, No Parts, or at the least LIMITED Rebuilders that Have Parts or access to them. Diaphragms, Seals, Pistons and vacuum Check Valves, RAPIDLY becoming UNOBTANIUM. Local has been calling any and every parts supplier/Dealer/salvage yard/Independents trying to find someone can rebuild his on a 1973 IHC, or get a used on or get parts alone, NO DICE. The one rebuilder around here closed some five years back, owner was 83.
There was a Ford 8000 (or something) tandem dump truck I was driving, unhooked hydraulic front brakes and air rear, they went to the salvage yard and swapped the whole front axle to a air brake one.
Loadstars, that stuff has been extinct for some time, most Ford 600/700's in the 60's 70's can't get brake drums or some hardware. 50 years old--time to move into next century.
We had a '74 1600 with the 392 gas guzzler and 5+2.
I actually had a '75 heavy half camper special with exact same paint, she was a beaut eh Clark.
I'm dealing with a similar situation on my 1980 F600 dump truck. I really like the truck and it was setup well by the original builder. But the hydraulic brakes have become a nightmare. Amazingly I've been able to get all the parts I've needed from NAPA, all new shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kits, wheel seals, hoses etc. The problem is the stuff is made in China and such garbage that I can't keep any of it together. In the two years since I completely went through the brakes I've had two rear axle seals go bad (which ruined the new shoes) and three of the eight wheel cylinders fail. My options now are 1. Only use it off-road and around the farm and just deal with leaking brake fluid/gear oil, 2. Swap some modern disc brake axles under it that have better parts support, or 3. Cut my losses and try to find a newer truck of similar spec that still has mfg support. Unfortunately #3 is probably the best option. I think the aftermarket parts business is really doing themselves a disservice by trying to just sell the cheapest crap possible. I realize that seems to be what the masses want, but at some point they will say enough is enough. I used to do a lot of business with NAPA, Advance, Oreilys, etc but not any more. Their **** parts basically drove me to buy a new pickup so I can get parts from the dealer and not their garbage. Same deal with my equipment, I only buy new or used stuff that is still supported by the OEM. It's hard to run a business on cheap Chinese parts....
My experience--if looking at older trucks such as dump truck----just X juice brakes off the list. Sure an old tandem is going to cost more up front, to license, insure in some cases but items like foundation S-Cam 16" brakes are easy to get parts for and will be for several years down the road. Most every truck built from 1992 up with out board drums are for the most part standardized. Just stay away from air disc. JMO.
Yeah I’m pretty much done with hydraulic drum brakes, same with dayton wheels. Every truck from now on will be budd wheels/outboard drums and air brakes. Even on the single axle medium duty trucks, the air brake components are a lot more standardized vs the same trucks with hyd brakes.
If you can try to go with hub pilot wheels way less trouble way more common.
Agree with TS, if rebuilding a show or display truck only all the Chinese crap will hold it as a display. Functionally an air brake work truck is far less drama, far less attention demanding. Parking brakes if foundation system is adjusted properly hold far better. Eliminating Hydraulics as to brake application, fluids leaks and equipment maintenance on anything bigger than a 450 series is a best choice. Was easier for me to rebuild the KW foundation brakes and change All Six chambers than was to repair the brakes on my Ford Super Duty pickup. Still trying to talk myself out of selling Blue.
I really like my 1963 F600 it has been very very handy one of the best things i have owned but i have replaced the booster 2 times and couldnt get a new one so found a used one both times. I have a plan to replace it with a dump trailer to pull behind my 1996 GMC that has air brakes . One thing i hate is when i stop using the ford i dont need it setting around it will be hard to send to the scrap yard .
One less thing to deal with.
I bought the GMC to replace 2 trucks the ford and IH winch truck. I put a winch on the GMC and was going to build a roll off or some kind of a removable flat bed dump. Things happen and plans change . I would like to have LESS TO DEAL WITH. I hope the ford makes it through this farm clean up. I am so burnt out on everything i may get rid of about every thing but i also know my out look on stuff may change so i am not going to jump and do something i may regret.
All of this leads to a dump trailer economy, where a guy has a decent tow rig and a dump trailer, when he used to run a little dump truck. I really have no gripe beyond the electric brake issue, which I choose to mitigate by limiting how much that trailer outweighs the tow rig.
Are several around here, read the Label on one at the gas station, 3/4t chevy gas dragging, 10 yds Box Capacity, where in SMALLISH PRINT: DO NOT OVERLOAD TOW VEHICLE CAPACITY, notes full laden is 12" BELOW Top Rail of sides. NO Tarp system, barely had Tarp tie off hooks. A Wet or Damp earth or excavation debris load at 10 yards can be 11+ ton, Dry rock around 9t, Sand at 10yd closer to 13t. Heaped a 10 yd can be at 12-13yd.
Sand here weighs plus or minus 2900 LBS per yard. My little truck can legally carry 7 tons, Just shy of 5 yards. If crushed stone, with more air component I might get up near 6 yards. I routinely see 8 yards behind a single wheel pickup on a trailer. Often towed by a F150.
Cause of broken axles and bridges in Pakis tanitrucks finally found#fyp #foryou #foryoupage #pakistan #maintain #repair #modification | VibeVault | VibeVault · Original audio Cause of broken axles and bridges in Pakis tanitrucks finally found#fyp #foryou #foryoupage #pakistan #maintain #repair #modification. VibeVault · Original audio www.facebook.com
Would read it but said screw META, closed those accounts, tired of the spamming bs when shut my response abilities down for up to 30 days
Not ridiculous, but a sign of life in a faltering AK economy. A load of long pipe fresh off da’ boat. Headed to Prudhoe Bay in a few minutes. Four major ports on the road system. Valdez, Anchorage, Whittier and Seward. This stuff is arriving at each port as fast as it can be delivered. Get this. It’s being trucked through Canukistan, as well by any swinging **** with a pair of skate boards.
If you pulled in to pennsylvania with that set of pups you'd be tossed in jail... Alaska looks like more fun
I’m excited, the more I learn and see what’s happening. I’m going to stack some cheddar. My phone is blowing up from new customers this week. Plenty of opportunities for everyone. Welders, fitters, cooks, laborers, drivers, housekeepers, parts counter pros, occupational medicine, HE Techs, operators, rental housing, sparkies, plumbers, prostitutes, Primary care providers, strippers, tank farm operators, pilots-fixed wing & rotary, safety guys, warehouse, outside sales, hot shot outfits, tow truck & recovery, spill response, drillers, roughnecks, NDT Techs, light duty mechs, blasters,……
Dagnabit timing is all wrong .....AGAIN!
You haven't broke ground on the house yet. Pack that duffle bag and get on a plane......
"I'm answering the ad for the safety guy, the multi instrument pilot, uh that float plane job, crane operator, CDL, equipment operator, and the telecom tech." "which one?" 'All of em please. I need the hours.'
He has a plane.....
If you hear of a 2 weeks on 2 or 3 off sorta thing please pass the information on
The local airline just took a dump up there so buyer beware on getting in and out.
There was a local guy from western Pennsylvania that worked for the Alaskan rail road it was probably in the 50s. He worked like 6 months out of the year and he drove back and forth in a willeys jeep. He was a tougher man then me!!!!
Heavy hauler.
Cody is something else. Wonder how his killdozer project is going?
He tows it to the gas station with the red chev!
Dug through the pictures for a load. Not necessarily over, but I like the swivel saddle bunk and the training wheels out back for this big can. We have the green light but that does not matter much.
I believe a lady driver--makes no difference women are just as good of drivers as men.
One above isn't the first and won't be the last. *
Local logging/petroleum/construction outfit guy told me the lady truck drivers often are gentler to the truck and don't tear stuff up like the young men who just have to get over the hill as fast as possible. Getting paid by the hour too of course.
Was it a suicide attempt? I mean, how do you manage to fit the truck through that gap?
The GPS told her to.....
Heck, even o-HI-o looks like more fun.....they run tripples.
This never would have crossed my mind to do...
Add in a crane to load and unload and you have a slick machine.
Next door to the house my aunt owned. Her garage is in the picture. I once considered cutting down a bus for a backhoe hauler. Many have the perfect suspension. Decking them over would be the biggest challenge. You can buy them dirt cheap, fresh out of service. They have been well maintained & inspected thoroughly.
Just saw on the morning newsfeed, apparently some idiot driving in opposing traffic lane hit stalled car then smacked into Sysco sending her through the uprights.
Been there done that, Indiana too. Most fun when empty, just don't look in the mirrors
When I was towing, putting up with gawkers, theorists, and just general public with ideas of how it happened and how to clean it up never ended. * What happened to that Sysco driver--is the reason this statement exists-------------------------- * {**** HAPPENS}---Especially when you least expect it!
Think about how many times a dropped bolt or screw had seeing eyes and went in the most impossible places. Clink-clink-clink-clunk-sploooosh.
Sign me up, no less than $75 an hour and I will run any heavy equipment. I want two on two off, with at least 12 hour shifts.
Lol
There are several manuf's, many for sleds: UTV Truck Rack Review Check out our detailed review of the truck rack designed for UTVs. Discover its benefits for your truck utvguide.net
I call it ‘the law of falling objects’. A dropped nut will always end up 8’ away from drop zone!
Those are gin poles and a winch, not a rack Cool link
a bit of a travois load.
I did that a few days ago so my mud truck can fit behind it on the trailer.
What's funnier is the F350 with a 450/550 rear axle
I worked for a guy that has one of those. We called it "Buck". I think he's trying to sell it. We used to haul a mini excavator and CTL at the same time with it.
Good catch, can't beat free when you need an axle
If the right opportunity comes I will get my camera and start a "where the dropped nut ended up" thread.
What really complicates the search is when it lands in your pocket and you didn't notice...
Oil field guy would do it with a gin pole setup and a picking sling.
Gin poles date back to the Romans, so who was first?
It would be difficult to determine. The first peoples did not have a written history. The archaeolgical record of people in North America goes back 12000~14000 years. The first travois were pulled by dogs before the arrival of the horse in the 16th century. There is archaeological evidence of the use of travois in other parts of the world. Functionally there is no similarity, but that quad laid up on the gin poles looks like a travois load.
To Quote Steve Martin "well excuse me" Your pix was not up to the standards that are required for scrutinizing your facts.
The Romans just used them for lifting and not skid loading, would be really funny if they did though I forgot to weigh it on the way home, I'll stop by a scale and see. Quad weighs 1700# so it's going be close to a overload.
I'd love to know how they got it off the trailer..........or if they had even thought that far ahead.
It's right about 13'6" if that guy is 5 feet tall.
That's every bit of 14'. That guy is 6'. At 70 mph it should have had a nice sway.
That load might be a good one to follow with a dash cam (Way way back)
I thought about that after I left. "Man.......I should have hung out and followed them!!"LOL
It's ok they have 1 strap
Probably only made it to 1st. turn on uneven pavement out of parking lot.
What height are you guys allowed over there? We get 4.3m generally, but allowed to go to 4.6m with livestock.
For transporting giraffes?
Update om Louisville event. 10 hours three Rotators, recovered intact!
Generally 2 decks cattle or 4 decks sheep.
13'6"---with a fifthwheel at 48" from ground.
I figure the guy UNDER the truck drew the short straw. Or the NEW guy........ "You'll be fine......."
And here we have the constant endeavor to see who can build the biggest front end loader. And keep raising the ante with a name & number that says it's a gargantuan---prophylactic. *
Capital Quarries has IIRC Twelve Quarries around the state, TRUCK Six Loaders and 2 Screening Crusher plants between them as needed. Said Plants only sit and operate around a month to six weeks then move again. The Costs JUST to move these mechanisms has got to be Cost Prohibitive but no one is looking.
I see CraneOp bought his boat and is carting it home!!
Wasn't that posted before?
first reference I found for that picture was a year ago. In the comments on that post, nobody mentioned the total lack of rear view mirror vision. I'd call that load in for impaired driving.
WOW!! The guys got the shed home, unloaded, and had time to go get the boat!! DAMN!! Those guys ARE motivated!!
If you hide the load under a plastic wrap, it looks smaller, and tows easier!
Mrs. B.'s step brother lived in South Freeport Maine, a mile from the harbor. Had a deep keeled sailboat. He only took it out for winter. Too cheap to pay, he'd use a 2 wheel drive Toyota mini pickup for the journey. Without the mast, it must have been 15' or more tall on the crude trailer he had. Thankfully, there was a crane free for residents to place the boat in water.
TForce was pulling into the lot and the dude with overload and no brake dump came around the corner. He was hauling 123 stone. Edit: This happened back in 2022, I finally found the pict.
You guys are in for a treat. Those silly Canadian fuel haulers are up to their ol’e shenanigans again. How do you total your brand new truck and tanker rig in front of your Alaska corporate headquarters building and not tip over the fresh looking, feather banner flag, complete with phone number and brand? She hasn’t even racked a load, yet. How does that even happen? It’s still parked on Van Horn if you want to see it with your own eyes.
Training & practice. Joe H
W TF
Interesting how they define in practice "Quality Solutions Delivered."
I once was called out to recover a rollover; somebody had managed to barrel roll an old Expedition on a narrow alley less than an hundred yards long in a residential neighborhood. I was standing there with the cop and I said something like "how does a guy manage that"? The cop just shrugged and said "with enough persistence and determination you can accomplish anything".
That looks like the work of a disgruntled employee to me....
Looks like pi$$ed off mother nature. May have been extreme wind gust between those two buildings, bein' mty and all.
when it's slick enough all bets are off. I have been blessed by being able to sideline my vehicle when it got nuts, rather than ditch it.
It will buff out.........no worries!!LOL
I’ll share the story when the details finally emerge.
Well, they just came in a little hot....
It’s been fairly mild, cool, calm and overcast in Squarebanks. I’m not that familiar with this company. Their main operations are in Whitehorse. They haul mucho fuel to the Canadian Arctic. Depending on market conditions, they import giant B-Train loads from Haines and pull all the way to the Arctic. Which can transform the tiny burg of Haines, some years, into the leading Alaska gross exporter. Over the years, I’ve posted stories about my Haines adventures. I haven’t been back to Haines since the tragic landslide of 2020. Still cleaning up that mess.
Have actually witnessed this phenomenon twice with no adverse weather, both times at Norfolk Southern rail yard in Chicago, both times JB Hunt cabovers parked inside the yellow DO NOT PARK lines on either side of the choo choo where the rail crane wheels drive, giant signs everywhere. Operator station other side of train, operator can't see a thing on that side. You would think they would have cameras on the dumb side? After you hook your trailer you're supposed to move away from tracks to avoid this from happening. Well needless to say that big yellow monster that picks 40,000 lb. trailers didn't even feel those units flipping until it was too late. Oops.
It's the trucking business--what could------------will. * My old company Tate Transportation--The odds of this happening is on par with Power Ball. * A Saturday morning one Tate semi was headed west on Hyw 12, another Tate semi was headed east on 730. Two old ladies headed to Wild Horse Casino at Mission/Pendleton Ore. were headed south on Hyw 12, there is a stop sign at the intersection of 12/730. No one will ever know, the old ladies ran the stop sign, the Tate semi headed west made contact tossing them in front of the Tate semi headed East. Instant fatalities killing both women. Both Tate drivers probably to this day have never forgot the odds of two trucks from the same company meeting at that exact moment being involved. *
you wonder what happened. My friend's mom ran a stop sign and got hit by a work truck on her side. I don't know for sure but the idea of a stroke was kicked around.
I think the driver just wasn't that familiar with the intersection, because it curves around to the left as though it is a straight through.
Not a bad go for the old ladies but a little tough on the truck and tow drivers and LEOS.
And tough for the EMTs that get called to the scene. Not so bad if it's a quick check and announce coroner's job and leave, but gets tougher the more work you have to do.
Yeah try living that down even if it's not your fault.
I was hauling grain in August 2009 in a straight truck, about 50-54,000 pounds Gross. Last load of the contract on a Friday, coming through town right at lunch time. Older gal blew a stop sign and I hit her passenger side, dead center at 35mph. So much energy was transferred that her tire tracks went straight sideways from her original path leaving the point of impact. Right in front of a Dairy Queen, lots of witnesses. I jumped out of the truck to see her unresponsive, pinned in the car. Lots of blood, shattered driver side window. I was terrified, thinking I had just killed a woman. I sat on driver side fuel tank and waited. First to arrive was local police officer followed immediately by the first responders. Cop took my info, did his thing, then sat and calmly talked with me while the responders did their job. Firefighters peeled the car open, extracted her, and sent her off alive. Then the firemen used their porta power to push my bumper off the front wheels, and I drove away to finish my delivery. I got a call from the officer the next day that the lady was going to be just fine. Severely bruised, bad cut on her head, but otherwise ok. I never did find out why she ran that stop sign.
You are absolutely right, I know the ones I had to deal with towing were tough at times. Once in awhile I would have to help for extra muscle to get injured out in steep terrain. I remember one EMT saying-you always jump right in and we appreciate it. You really have to like your job to be a EMT. They see it all. I your case it doesn't matter what matters is it wasn't a fatality. You couldn't have changed anything, what's good is you know it's wasn't your fault. You were doing you.
Been a Rapid Responder Wrecker, then Vol FF, NEITHER was the TV show BS, Lots of Death and real ugly damage human wise. Can be really hard on the ones do it day in day out, My Own hat been off to them since my Forst wrecker drive.
My wife went to school with a guy, then he married her best friend's sister, became a good friend. He struggled with reading, he read slowly, & there was little comprehension. He learned by hearing the words. He spent a few years as an apprentice electrician, didn't do all that well at it. He volunteered as an EMS & found his place in the world. Countless people owe their lives to him. He studied, (I'm not clear how, I guess videos) Got his credentials as an EMT & went full time Rescue Squad. He was a sick b@$tard, always making jokes about the carnage. Claimed you either make bad jokes, or let it get to you, go crazy. He divorced his wife, moved to another town. Wrecked an ambulance on a non emergency transport call. Nobody ever knew the cause. Just hit a tree on the roadside.
The locomotive not being able to see on the other side ? NS older loco's ran "long hood forward", and yes the visibility is bad.
Not the locomotive, the big friggin' crane that straddles both sides of the train and picks cans/trailers from said train.
Yes those yellow stripes and signs are not there for decoration. Most times you get your ass chewed off short and bloody and never do that again. Try reasoning with a crane counterweight.
My "first responder" experience was something. I was 20 and had seen a few things being a farm boy, but nothing like this. I was following an old fellow in a 4 door Ford Fairmont. You can see in this screen capture, the road used to go straight with no tee intersection. A huge boulder had rolled off the cliff onto that road, and they pushed it off into a big triangular gravel area where the new road goes to the new bridge now. It was maybe 8x6x6. ( Painted Rocks @gleed for @Truck Shop ) The sun was in our eyes, and for no apparent reason he just angled off onto that gravel and tagged that boulder perfectly head on at 35 MPH. I slid in there in my Falcon and got started. The doors were all locked, and the impact had veed the car roof right between the doors as the back end tried to fold over the front. The rock moved about 4 inches from the impact. I eventually got the jack out of my car and busted out the passenger rear and got in there, and over the seat next to him. The seat latches had failed forward, so I put my legs to work and slid it back and cleared his airway from the shattered dentures. He was still breathing when the fire crew and EMT's rolled up. I called and yeah, he did not make it.
Someone took my ideal and improved on it I have chained a budd wheel to my flat bed to move king pin trailers around the lot.
I had just got done sanding some cabinet doors this morning and the dispatch called with a tow. It blew a radiator just near the state line and in a bad spot on a turn between two signal lights. I was close enough to the one intersection to flip around so I could pick it from the rear. One of our other trucks came to rehook to the trailer. I had all the lights going and its a 4 lane arterial--do you think people would move over- hell no. I was wearing my safety vest PPE easy to see. I started to crank the gear down and here came a ******* with chain link fence sections hanging way out, not a flag on his load, no one in the hammer lane, he wouldn't move over. had to duck under the trailer, he probably missed the side of the trailer by two feet. Jack Wagons, People just drive with head in ***. Had I not been looking I wouldn't be setting here typing this. * Anywho I hooked up and ran to La Grande with it. Nice drive other than that. Left at 12 back at 6.
Drivers Have no idea. We had a manhole on the edge of the traffic lane with lane closure and flag people and drivers would still drive right on our edge of the driving lane…and most would speed up past the flaggers. Scary to climb out then trying to get to your feet with all the safety gear on.
that run to LaGrande is nice on a day like today. When I worked on I-5 in Centralia and Chehalis, we had two drunk drivers come through the closure. One lady pulled up to a flagger with the caution paddle out and just stopped in freeway traffic. The guys started yelling at her to go, and she punched it and hit a barrel. That thing shot clear off the road! If you were in the way of that you'd get knocked down at a minimum. We did it all at night for the most part. When we were jackhammering out the bridge joints, I would watch the traffic for the guy with his head down and working.
Jackwagons, Nimrods and flat out Idiots. About half behind a wheel do not deserve to be.
Trailer for sale, minor fire, salvage title. "trailer will pull home"
Aluminum trailers make a mess when they burn, especially a refer. I some cases there easier to clean up after, when it's all cooled down it's puddles of solidified aluminum.
Just needs a little paint!!
Here's a real overload that rolled on it's side at the sharpest curve area of Lime Canyon I-84 near the burg of Durkee Ore. Happened about 5 days ago, had I-84 shut down both directions for at least 16 hours, windmill support tower. Expensive not to mention the mess it made of the equipment hauling it. *
That towing outfit doing the recovery---that's going to be a huge bill. The one they recovered for us {the Coronado that laid on it's side in same spot}, they spiked the job pulled every rig out on stand by just setting--our clean up was $46,000--yup 46K.
Nothing like a little greed.
Every big wrecker and rotator I see for sale, prices from $300-700,000, all the ads say "new truck on the way" . They must be making a killing on the insurance calls on the road accident clean up jobs. Our local wrecker guy retired a few years ago, and no one has taken his place. The concrete and dump trucking outfits are really hurting when there are accidents and guys stuck, all the wrecker services are 2,3,4 hours out when you call. I still keep kicking it around, but I can't do a midnight clean up and run crane the next day. And my wife doesn't want the 2 am phone calls. But there's a need out there for someone in my area that knew what they were doing.
Can really relate CO. Local north of here walked away from Tow services, next closest is 30-50 miles away as to heavy recovery. Those services keep getting insurance increases with added permitting fees for the big rotators. Those are over axle weight before connect a hook or leave the yard. No one wants the liability or the hires and fires to run these.
I don't buy it. What they can't find are competent people willing to do the job required. Liability can be purchased. Equipment can be purchased. What can't be purchased anymore is a brain and a body willing to do some honest work for a good paycheck.
In the business---that's a catch phrase {knew what they were doing}. * Got that right. * In order to pay for those huge payment class eight heavy tow trucks----you need even more smaller 550 tow trucks and roll beds to keep the business going. The amount of wrecks through spring, summer & fall have doubled--winter time is now the bonus season. All this goes along with TOO many frigging trucks on the road. In Washington State if your tow company is on law enforcement roster {city, county, state}, the state set the hourly rate for class eight IIRC at $400.00 plus an hour, that was a few years back more now. * Here's the deal--with all the aerodynamic items on cars & trucks you better have a tow truck completely {COMPLETELY} outfitted with every towing accessory for hook up. Most all the forks on my-{company} truck, I custom built just for our trucks. But like I said above, get a safety vest with a bright Target on the front and back because the average driver is looking for {SOME ONE TO RUN OVER}. *
I think he's referring to the L&I side of things.
Don't you hate it when the loads falls off? I-76 closed north of Denver metro area after equipment falls off tractor trailer Equipment fell off a tractor-trailer about 2:35 p.m. in the westbound lanes of I-76 at Dahlia Street, closing both directions of the interstate. www.cbsnews.com
Insurance is Insane High for the recovery companies, cover incidental accidents in calls as well the equipment during recovery operations that either fails or gets mauled. Just the little local body shop here, a Single Roll Back ton and half IH or his 1997 Chevy with a Squirt boom, Each is $2400/month, then have to pay wages for emergency calls. Towing is Not Cheap but is Not the towers that are causing the expense rises.
Correct---but then one gets to add in {if on law enforcement roster in this state} a approved impound yard. WSP sets the standard on that. Plus it needs to have a enclosed {building} for some cases. Also you get to deal with all the abandoned cars/trucks, basically your towing business becomes the disposal site/collector of all the worthless garbage cars left along side the road that become a traffic hazard. Which means you get to pull all the plates & turn that information over to DMV, then try to auction the junk in a abandon sale to hopefully get some kind of return on all included costs of removing from the public eye. Most go for scrap and we all know what that pays. * D&M Towing & Repair a outfit I worked for years back sold all of his class eight recovery units. Got sick and tired of cleaning up the wreck sites and or left along side road and stuck for the bill. * And in the business there called tow trucks/recovery units not wreckers, Wreckers wreck things. Only thing Ernest Holmes had wrong was the description. Holmes built the best.
Tow truck I ran should been a Wrecker!! 56 Diamond T, GAS. Good truck hard on operators. Pretty much gone today are Holmes or Squirt boom tow trucks on Ton and Half SA chassis, nearly all are axle lift, roll back or the use of Low boy Landoll style Tractor Trailer set ups with winches and Massive Rotators, next stop before a full crane.
I've already seen that photo TS. In the dictionary, definition of Irony.
My life has been wast My life has been wasted on people who define any machine painted yellow as a "bulldozer", pi$ses me off.
Willie, the news folks are the worst!
Maybe others haven't.
Don't even get me started
What about aircraft? Every crashed aircraft is a Cessna!!
I hadn't, but saw the automatic transmission version of that photo. Less than a hundred yards over the bridge into Mexico, a small red fluid trail turns into a big red fluid trail leading to an old pickup, with racks, piled high with used automatic transmissions.
Scrap has dropped low enough the auto and truck salvage yards are loading up again. Materials sitting instead of moving. More people buying parts that would have been sent to Melt last few years working to keep old junk as I am doing running.
Or the narrator of every dramatic TV show, IE, Ice Road Truckers, Highway Through Hell, a tractor trailer loaded with steel, diesel, or orange juice: "THE MASSIVE THREE TON LOAD...."
I forgot--My old employers dad was on his way up headed north on I84 and just happened to meet and greet this mess as it rolled over. He told me this morning he didn't even have time to chop some fresh washers, it was hit the gas and steer through the chunks of concrete from the center barrier. It tore up the left steer tire plus the rim. He said I always wondered what *** meant---I know now. *
"he didn't even have time to chop some fresh washers" Never heard that expression. What's the translation?
Seat Button Holes!!
Anti gravity load
Just pop the clutch......
Don’t ya just hate when they bridge and wedge!
Cap'tn we have a problem...... Antigrav won't disengage......
I can see that as a Wiley Coyote moment when the fella w the Acme pry bar loosens the one rock holding the load….
My grandpa used to say "I bet his *** was sucking like an old trip hammer" lol.
Can't remove that.
Here, hold my beer and pass me the crowbar, I'll get her moving.
Froze perhaps
??????????!
. . . And then it all goes at once . . .
On construction I watched as a LN9000 3 axle was backed down to river edge with refrigerator plus size rippity wrappity. Raised the box, it wedged, he didn't know it yet and continued to raise box, front tires started to become airborne because it was tilting on the walking beam and the walking beam had no stops on the back axle. So the box went vertical, and it finally let loose which dropped the steer from roughly 3' in the air which shot his head into the roof.
Unfortunately this truck has a foolish Allison... I did back up and hit the brakes though. Didn't help. And we have a winner: I loaded them up covered in wet mud yesterday and wanted to wait until the ground froze up to dump them in location. It got down to 17°F overnight and glued them in solid. So much interest in a dumb box of rocks
Didn't make as much noise as you might expect when it did let go
I figured you left it up and walked home, came back the next day......No noise at all.
When they hang up at all, I expect damage. Mine held the whole load of boulders refusing to dump once. I made the bad decision to move. 14' bed shifted off to the side, I thought I might have twisted the frame, but it seems OK.
I left it up and started walking away for lunch break. 100 yards away and they let loose
Woke up to screaming wind and rain that was not forecast. As picked up phone this was news: Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after column hit by large ship; cars, perhaps people in water Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed early Tuesday after a column was hit by a large container ship, sending cars and possibly people into into the Patapsco River. www.cbsnews.com
September 11 2001 I heard a plane had hit the World Trade Center in New York. I was working on a new $1,000,000 house. Nobody on site had more than a radio in there truck & no cell service there. My first thought was amateur pilot, getting a great photo. Owner went where he was staying & brought back a radio. A second plane hit the other tower. It was then instantly clear this wasn't a mistake. As the hours pass, I wonder if this one will prove to be an idiot at the wheel, a malfunction, or terrorism?
Captain of the Valdez--{we seem to have fetched up hard on the rocks}.
Reliable speculation says it was power failure on the ship, they were having issues shown by the black smoke going on and off. Never attribute to malice, that which can easily be explained by incompetence. Read that somewhere, seems to apply. All bets are off if another ship crashes...
It was built by freightliner---check engine lights came on and it derated & died.
Was thinking a Benz Company build!! even though not really funny, several likely died.
Correct several probably did---how many probably died in chicago land last weekend, no gave a crap about that. Equally bad.
Very true
Two rescued were work party on deck, six missing a concrete truck and driver also. Several cars being located to recover occupants. Water temp is in mid forties, hypothermia in minutes.
Sure looked like it went hard to starboard, straight at that pier
Wander how many quarters it takes to get one of these and how they fit this in that box on the wall.
You spray it on.
Have done that fancy maneuver with a roll off truck several times trying to pick overloaded 30 yard cans from job sites. Just because it says on the side of the can "do not fill past this line" doesn't mean you can fill them with dirt or concrete ya flargin' morons!
The comment reminds me of a dumpster inside a Boeing building during the 757 ram-up. A laborer had filled the dumpster with concrete rubble, closed the doors and called for a haul out. Driver arrives grabs the dumpster and starts to pull it up onto his truck. Truck and dumpster fall over sideways crushing several work stations that the dumpster was landed next to. Driver had not bothered to see that the dumpster had the "right load of rubble," but it was only on one side. It was a Gawdawful mess. Laborer said; " I was careful to not over load it.... Nobody knew of any comment from the driver.
I cannot picture picking up a rolloff without looking, unless you had experience with the site and crew. We loaded a crap-ton of them for our own driver at the Expedia job, but it was all construction materials stuffed in there tightly and would never have a 'side' to the load. I don't ever recall having to leave one down due to weight, as the dirt guys took care of all the concrete demo and such.
Neither could anybody else in the building. the echo of the crash brought close to 500 instantaneous lookie -lous from all over the building. And that was before the cell phone, so no viral photos.
A friend owned a large fab/steel supply business. I rember the dumpster "spear" they made for the local landfill. It would fit in a loader bucket and was used to loosen over-compacted dumpsters..... Bet it had 200lbs of mig wire in all the layers of steel to build it. Ed
Guys in the actual Clay Pit I hauled from used a second loader with a set of hook on forks to spear the compacted into corners clay away from bucket walls then would swap the forks between loaders and reverse process. Saved time as at the smaller clay pit all we had were sharp shooters and straight blade scrapers looked as Unfolded garden hoes.
Did roll-off for a couple of years, never had to be scraped out due to compaction, good shake of the can with the cable usually remedied that, What did suck was winter hauling, anytime temp got below freezing stuff froze to bottom of can. Yes special bucket on the excavator for "clean-out" at the transfer station and landfill.
The dumpster we had at the shop had the sides bent out probably 4-5" from compacting it with the backhoe or excavator. Usually wasn't heavy stuff though
Not ever seen a Roll Off unless newer that was not expanded considerably.
{Never you mind about that tire son, you got a bigger problem right here}. *
When did they start enforcing weight laws?
Long before most on here were born, Post war it was everywhere.
I'm guessing in the late '30s here in Washington. I have a book written by one of the first truck loggers out of Peshastin WA. He hauled out of Ingalls Creek down what is now US 97. He never mentions scales until just before the war. Then he complained inconvenient they were to making a profit.
Scales were nation wide by 1936, it was part of wpp work program along with road repair.
Trying to stretch life on crappy built roads, blaming over weight trucks. Trucks do weigh more than cars and will flat dig craters on soft ground but Lb per square inch on the old tires was about the same loading cars and trucks when either was loaded to any value. Speed and Pounding is what destroys pavement, shock loading across bad paving lays or expansion and contraction buckling. US 40 had scales at both east and weat side of MO, had one close to center at Mineola Hill where the highway crossed the Loutre River bottoms. Main reason there was weight limit to the old bridges built 1920s.
fdr just keeps on giving and taking but mostly giving ,,,,away
The industry---Roads were built to handle X amount of weight--industry has lobbied constantly through the years to up axle weights, axles can be added but the concentrated weight remans, only instead of a 52" spacing it's on 60" axle spread, yes more tires on the ground but as the patch increases so does the weight for given area. Plus the trough created by weight in right lane says it all. Allot of I-90 in Washington state is covered by troughs from extended weight stretch chassis container headed to ports in Seattle & Tacoma, east bound lanes are never as bad as west for wear. Which causes trucks to start running in left lanes, just a vicious cycle. The DOT road boss here who I know was road boss at Bull Frog just west of Cle Elum for years. According to him the studies of extended weights on roads bares it out, some areas worse than others.
Its to bad we dont utilize our rail system in this country, alot of freight could and should go by rail
Very true--A high amount {don't know the percentage} is LTL--less than load. Out here it's easy to spot, for example the number of trucks climbing mountain passes at much higher speed than normal. I-84 {Cabbage-6 miles of 6%}, when I have a tow going to La Grande OR. the tow with a tractor hanging on the back is roughly 50,000 lbs give or take. I climb the grade at 45 to 48 7th/7th over without out crowding it. I have some corners I have to slow down for. On the straights I will have trucks that gross 80,000 pass me, not by much but they still go around. Which is telling--not really running anymore power than I have pulling a little less weight, the tire contact area is small. Then there are the {Dragon Flies} drag up one side fly down the other. * So much of this LTL is created by I have to have it now-running low inventory cross dock sales. To beat inventory taxes, which is understandable but the cost on the other end on roads is a mess, not to mention all the added traffic, wasted space on trailer verses fuel burned. Amount of tires, and amount of wrecks to top it off.
A lot is due to poorly built roads. Maybe because of cost or time factors?? Like most things the base is the most important. If the base is scrimped on the asphalt won't save it. There is a stretch of secondary highway the gravel pit out by my property uses. Further North the road has a 75% road ban in the spring as do most non major highways. The gravel pit made a deal with the gov't. that they would supply all the base material and the gov't. would do the paving in order for the road not to have a spring road ban. It would seriously affect the gravel pit's business. They mostly haul with trucks and quad axle pups. Other than a few cracks in the pavement over the years, the road stays flat and is holding up great. I think if a little more was spent on the road base when fixing or building new roads it would be money well spent. The roads would hold up a lot better and need a lot less repairs or replacements.
Most major highways date back to 50's 60's 70's.
Dad worked for PKW on I-90, I think the stretch between Ellensburg and Cle Elum. I have looked around and can't find any good history about that. He also worked on I-82 across the ridges to east Selah, that was an epic earth moving job. He purchased a new 1968 Datsun pickup and put 60,000 miles on it doing that job, most of it in the dirt roads coming up out of the canyon over to the job. They had at least one quad 9 on that job.
Someone correct me on this if they know something different. RR pays for their all of their own infrastructure "land, bridges, tracks, right of ways, ect" not the taxpayer. But you cant depend on the US's RR's to meet any kind of timeline, hence you have to have the trucks on the road. Alot of coast to coast should be on trains unless a critical timeframe like spoilage ect.
You are correct in your basic observations. It is much more complicated than that though. The causes of these transportation woes date back to the Staggars Act of 1980 for the RRs and The Motor Carrier Act of 1980 for trucking. Hundreds if not thousands of PhD dissertations have been written about these two fiascos. Whole forests have been logged to create the paper for these dissertations. I will leave it at that because HEF justifiably frowns on political pronouncements.
Originally us gave land to the railroads to pay for it, at least to connect the coasts with rr. To ship by rail you have to truck to rail, rail to rail, then truck to location. It's a lot simpler to just hire 1 truck especially in sure your not saving very much by hiring out the rail. The rail out here is in bad shape and needs a lot of work, they can't go very fast anymore because of soft spots in the rail.
"A ton of freight, 640 miles, 1 gallon of fuel"
That number is probably the least useful number when figuring the cost of shipping by rail.
IIRC it was on a TV advert for CSX a few years back.
Yup.
This mess went in just down the creek from me at Wallula---It went defunct in 2017, operated 8 years I think. Huge cooler buildings setting idle. * Union Pacific acquires 3 Railex properties, including Wallula Union Pacific has acquired Railex LLC’s refrigerated and cold storage assets, including Wallula’s warehouse and supporting equipment.The deal, announced Jan. 3., includes two other Railex properties in Delano, California, and Rotterdam, New York. Financial terms weren’t disclosed.Railex, a... www.tricitiesbusinessnews.com
Rail is nearing death currently, an estimate of 60% of the US Rail system is either abandoned or in RTT devolvement leaving fewer roadbeds to fewer major hubs and fewer still ports of dispersal. As to Truck to rail and truck from rail are speaking Apples to Oranges to Interstate freight. That requires Small trucks to major docks, to larger trucks to shuttle dock to dock to dock, then small truck to disperse said LTL freight, has not ever been One Truck Source to Delivery.
Someone was a little peeved when they couldn't get their license renewed. 1 dead, 13 injured after stolen tractor-trailer crashes into public safety office One person has died after a tractor-trailer was intentionally crashed into a public safety office. www.ky3.com
Just saw that on the nightly news. I hope they throw every thing they can at that guy and he never is allowed behind the wheel of anything more than a kids peddle car!
IIRC 85 trains a day run thru Erie, pa head both to NYC or chicago. Lot's of containers.
At one time RRs had Terminals in most every larger city, as in greater than 3000 population, now are lucky if have Six per States. Loads of CONEX and AUTORACK trains, see maybe one general freight of mix manifest boxcar, tanks, flats or spine cars and gondolas. Rest are Autorack, CONEX and Coal. Just few to any Refrigerated cars, not many basic freight consists of all boxcars. Gone too are the set out tracks at smaller cities for freight dispersal and small switch yards for bulk commodity handling as Local Grain elevators, those are all gone and trucking moving five to six trucks to one rail car worth. Clay haul currently performing, places 180 truck loads in ONE river Barge, in a string of four to six to be sent to a lash up group of 12-24 barges sent down Mississippi to Memphis then be set out to be sent up Ohio or Kentucy rivers or on to Arkansas River as these will be to go of all places, Muskogee OK. DAL Tile.
That's horse manure---Union Pacific will build track to any door, right across front yards, back yards. Of coarse trucks have to deliver to rail docks. Imagine Amazon going total rail delivery. Rail is good for commodity shipping at this point. * americans are just a impatient lot----all this boils down to I want it and I want It Right F@cking Now-----------it's what will get us in the end.
I don't find that shocking, it's all part of what I said above.
and I always thought it was “I want it f’kin yesterday”…?
I thought it was, I needed it yesterday but want it right f'kin now.
Union Pacific out here is in bad shape, they can barely go 45 is some spots and have to go slower. They need to replace probably the whole rail across the country
It's not for shippers, it's for the greenie crowd.
He should of used a Dozer after hours. If there ever was a place to get upset with the license office would be it but he didnt need to hurt and kill over it.
I saw that on market place why didnt they just get a truck. A buddy that i think is pretty smart at one time wanted to put a 2 ton truck 2speed axle with short single tires under a pickup.
He should NOT have done "anything". Now he's a criminal and should be in jail.
You are wright i have had so much trouble with the license office that i just thought about going without what ever i needed and maybe the officer that stops me would understand and help me. But sometime i have thought if my state goverment was on the ball like there license offices were maybe stuff would be better.
Not a bad idea for a goosneck puller, another axle worth of tires, more brakes, more stable. Doubt if both are live so be nice if one lifted.
Your right it was yesterday-yesterday as back when Boomers in 1950's ---------------------------- --{I Want My Maypo}.
It's not just consumers either. Business has been adopting a lean model for many years now. Any inventory carried across the fiscal year costs a significant amount in taxes. Because of this and many other reasons, they adopted a Just In Time (JIT) model. My wife is a capital purchaser for a hospital system, and she recalls that was the buzzword of 2000 on. Big manufacturers carried little inventory and relied on fast response from their suppliers, who also ran the JIT model. Now the parts and pieces are not even made until ordered, and the raw materials and so on. This rapid response model telescoped and amplified down the whole length of the supply chain. Each step did not have any room in it for flexible shipping practices. Rail is not compatible with JIT. Somebody, somewhere has to carry some inventory.
Cross docking--the handlers term---JIT is the office term. JIT sounds more professional when standing in front of the board. * {Neighbor---Neighbaa}
Well jit is out the window, I think it's HUaW Hurry up and wait
Then why do I see whole trains of Amazon, UPS, and Fedex containers & trucks on the rails every day ?
I wanted it yesterday, but I needed it 3 days ago.
Amazon has built stocking warehouses all over the country for their cheap products. I can think of 3 within a 10 mile drive of me, huge tiltups with 500,000 sf or more. The irony is the one closest to me is near Fredrickson, port of Tacoma. It is a remote extension of the port with plenty of rail, and yet they did not build in Fredrickson proper and have no rail. It is still all truck. I'm thrilled you see UPS and Fedex on the rails. I'm a huge fan of railroads. I hope they can move more and more to rails rather than less.
I am not a person who needs to be told what to do. I get offended every time I run into government rules and regulations. I feel I am being unfairly punished because I may be a dumbass. I believe people should be punished when they hurt others and/or their property, not before because of what might happen.
FAR from the Only One on here that feels that way!!
Don't even try to put this incident on government "oppression". That guy earned his denial of license in some way. We all have ours and we are far from special. It is just not that hard to do. Then he came back and committed murder with a truck. We never wanted him on the road in the first place.
Ground shipping, 3-5 days or more,
____ in one hand and wish in the other. eat a chunk of iron and ____ one Years ago this is what you would hear someone joke about.
Ground Shipping under 3 days is Local, not coming in from a Coast unless on a Aircraft, Set up shipment, set to transport, truck runs LA to Alb, swaps on a dock for further run different truck, heads to Ok City, another Dock, sits and await that third truck to STL. From there is shuttled to a Dispersal office and transferred off to a delivery truck. That is REAL time on a Road run, Minimal Five Days, Most likely ten even on AMZN own fleet.
Idk I'm in Kansas, the only times it's over 3 (maybe 4) days is if USPS touches it
As stated, much is Air Freighted and do not know it. For me in Central MO, typical is Three days, from surrounding several states Midwest Region, minimum five to eight days off the coasts. Anything special order anywhere from 15-90 days.
They built a big one in pa right beside 81 at the md line finished it last summer sometime. Still had the for least signs up and not a soul around the place.
Amazon built a large facility about 35 minutes North of my place about 2018ish. Busy, busy place. 2020 came, they got so busy, they built a second facility about ½ mile North of 1st facility. By the time they got it finished, they had optimized their other facility and demand had shrank back that they've never used it. Parking lot is empty, truck gates have weeds growing up in the cracks already. Only vehicle you see in their lot is the security guard they pay to keep the homeless and riff raff away.
I wander if that's not what happened there too
That is how it always seems with commercial real estate. Company builds or gets landlord to build huge palace. Plans change and it sits vacant for years. Eventually gets sold and used by somebody else not for original purpose.
But never put back to the valuable farmland from whence it was....
I see that around here and it pisses me purple. I take comfort in knowing that mother nature will claim even the concrete in 1000 years after we end our stupidity. "Klaatu Barada nikto"
Issue is--we produce more than needed-especially when it comes to grain.
While on the issue of over building-----here is a fine example of tooo muucch crraaannneee. Lampson built it for Hitachi some 13 years ago now, hasn't moved or hoisted even a dirty penny. Lampson got paid the millions----and Hitachi passed it on in mini's. *
'And Speaking of Retirement Homes!!' There is one of these Custom Built Office structures in West St Louis County, company moved into one floor for one month then balked and backed away leaving landlord holding that Terd Ticket, is Now a "Luxury Apartment Complex. Not too much as Eye Candy Living. https://www.residencesattessonridge.com/?customer_id=5982936697&st-t=ppc&vt-k=the%20residences%20at%20tesson%20ridge&vt-mt=p&dialogtech=ppc&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoPOwBhAeEiwAJuXRh9gjlRqBvgtAvEiMhKJ_ih70wGcGh2TJCtEmvJxS1lNC9g6UylWudhoCZe4QAvD_BwE
What they are paving around here was prime veggies and fruit land. Truck farming so now we are back on topic.
Wife is in "spring garden mode". Evidently made a home depot run for mulch and had the honda loaded down when I got back from work today. I spotted the camber as I pulled in. There's probably 5 pickups setting at the shop. But she'll load the pilot to the gills and then complain that it smells in her vehicle.....
I would feel different if--40% wasn't thrown away at stores. The waste and culling is ridiculous
I remember it as {We've run aground, and are leaking some oil}
Truck farms were the ticket in MO and IL for the last century. Great Aunt and Uncle’s farm in IL was 210a. Say was as the place is now sold. City of Greenville looking to add Lake frontage at the north line and a real estate ‘Mogul’ looking to corner the low income housing market on the 110a open fields while developing that lake site. Cousin that owned passed in her sleep a week ago, her daughters, my second cousins, sold the place in 24 hours. Our small place along with three other properties were Spanish Land Grant section homestead, the original owners planted in our front yard. Smaller parcels are being divided out for residential “Rural Lifestyle” home sites, more like scavenger settlements. Most of the neighbors are our age or slightly older, will undoubtedly be seeing far more of that develop in near future. Land is currently over $7500/a and still climbing. Still considering sale where realtor noted may be able to catch the wave at over a Mil for what we have. Just do not know where else would go.
Mine was I believe a sarcastic line from SNL. But yours is not correct either. Captain Hazelwood was a 42 year old captain with a huge drinking issue. Two dwi's to his credit, maritime control/laws at that time didn't consider a captains driving record like aviation does. The correct accurate version-- * {Evidently were leaking some oil and going to be here a while}. followed by a hiccup.
My Dad brought home what he didnt sell and throw it over the fence by the drive . I got to looking one day and there was all kinds of stuff growing out there. Its unreal how much food is tossed out by stores .
the bumper diamond and those little headlights look like a cartoon face on that rig.
Sweet Dart nice chrome breathers just need to add some "juicy" mud flaps- sweatpants all the heavy girls wear
That Dart--it's just another chunk of iron & steel,, It will make some nice hondas someday.
And here is a overload--a overload in ones skivvies as you see it headed your way. This has happened before not new. A semi took one in the cab about 1.5 years ago by Starkey exit I84 Ore. Killed that guy. *
Dang. He must have been stopped the truck does not look wrecked. My neighbor had a slow speed version of that. He was waiting to get on Meridian in his 60's Ford pickup. A dump and pup rolls by and here comes one of the wheels, and he was trapped. Car behind him truck in front of him. Took it right in the door but really slow. So slow he said it was like watching the proverbial train wreck.
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand . . .
1935--Mount Vernon Wa. back then $3 bucks for every mile over was some money. *
At least he has the safety jack down close to catch it when something goes wrong.
He needs that caster like the other car
‘35, that was a ton of money, most did not make that much per day.
Was parked talking with a neighbor when a wheel came off a boat trailer. Came bouncing down the road and took a lucky hop just clearing my hood. No damage other to underwear.
Truck run-a-way ramp in Virginia, 5.5 million to build according to story I read. *
A lot of that was probably engineering and other related studies
Don't worry the next one will only be 5 mil
A run out area X amount long X amount deep with pea gravel is pretty cheap.
Hard to pay kickbacks like that
It's all in the name of overthinking.
Not if the govt has to buy premium land to do it.
yes, the gravel. Maybe a fence to contain the blast of gravel at the beginning. It is pretty dramatic. It's all over in the first 80' or so, you can see that on the ramps we drive by. They are regraded and smoothed out, but much farther than 120' or so it is all weeds. It's hard to surf on Pea gravel.
I like the idea of condemning and taking it at below value.
1953 Pit River bridge on Old 99 in Redding Ca. The women who took this photo won a Pulitzer Prize in 1954 for photography, taken with a Kodak Brownie camera, she was fishing with her husband when she got the photo plus see a man **** himself mid air. *
Talk about a come to Jesus moment.... Ed
He ain't going do **** for yuh.
That is about Rube Goldberg.
what could possibly go wrong? Looks good to me. Now which little brake lever controls which trailer? Hey look, the boat brake lights came on!
In what state is that legal? Or, is it a case of anything is legal until you get caught?
Class A, Doubles then add OVER Size flags and banners as to the GVWR being exceeded.
At least just get a tag camper . . .
Give me 40 acres and ill turn this rig around
Just dont ask me to back it up
More of an oversight than an overload. The Peak Downs Highway straddles a haul road at the Caval Ridge coal mine near Moranbah Qld.
Just leave that there and only use the 1 lane until the replacement beams get on site. handy little wrecking ball/jackstand.
Love to see that on the highway from hell during a snowstorm.....
They almost made it ! ! !
My first thought exactly!!!! If only he'd not slammed on the brakes at the last second.. ....
I used the RG posit to a group of younger people one day, gat the deer in headlights and eventual "What's That" remarks. Rube Goldberg - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org
Well, now they can call that excavator a LEBROKEN
They understand Inspector Gadget a little better.
Or a "Lebearing the bridge"
We did rube Goldberg contraptions in middle school, was awesome
MSN
Barely even dragging the ground
Thinking outside the box!!! How does this NOT get stopped by DOT?? Some of the crap I see with RV's and campers is AMAZE BALLS sometimes. I figure if I pulled double trailers behind my service truck it would be GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL!! DO NOT PASS GO!! DO NOT COLLECT $200!!
Looks like a puddle of coolant behind his feet. Suburban said **** this ****. Joe H
Because there is not enough DOT enforcement officers. People will do what ever they damn well please. It's a monkey see monkey do world. Now the kicker to this is that thing called insurance. What do you figure the age is of that wrinkle rancher standing in front of his set of doubles? Old enough to know better.
A huge issue has risen with heavy transport--when is too big too big? These types of incidents have risen sharply in the past 12 years. *
I can try to get some kdot hypos to move out to you ts, there is plenty here
Per the amount of vehicles traveling the highways, not near enough patrolling.
I think patrol should be outlawed including local cops and sheriff's
There are allot of people that think that this day and age, problem is it's what I was saying above--people can't police themselves. This whole thread wouldn't be just 217 pages if there was no police presents, it would be 2,017 pages. Road rage would be out of control in less than two days. During Covid people were driving 30, 40 plus mph over the limit.
And you wind up with Moe Rons as my BILs neighbor that decided ON HIS OWN, NOT to install the Frame Angles for a Fifth Wheel Hitch in his Half Ton PU to drag a 14,000lb three axle Fifth wheel. he saw the cracking in the bed floor, was angered as GM refused warranty so WELDED HIMSELF. Trip into CO, the Floor ripped out, the trailer went for its own destination as did the pickup. He Lost both as well the fines from CO SHP as to operation of an unsafe modified machine.
Nope..........pay the permits, get the State Police details (dey luv dat ****), and pay for the escort service..........trucking on down the road with whatever you want with blue lights bow and stern.
Still too big. Just because it can be done or it's lawful doesn't stop the fact it may not be a good idea.
Oh, good sir; I totally agree!! However............I've seen it happen, you've seen it happen...........it happens. AS LONG AS YOU PAY PEOPLE OFF........PERMITS, STATE POLICE (THE KEY RIGHT THERE)......Sometimes it just takes hiring 1 trooper........sometimes you need 6, a sargeant, maybe LT..........LT and sarge get signed in and out without even showing up.......no show detail. You got 6 troopers on OT letting you do whatever on THEIR highways. Don't pay the tax?? OOOhhh......you pay the fine.
I don't know about NH----But out here it would be a real stretch, seriously doubt it.
And there was no rise in accidents or fatalities.
No, this is MA..........Boston specifically. Then again.........if you look at the headlines from the news lately............Troopers getting busted for OT fraud, Troopers getting busted for handing out CDL's with no tests.........just do a search for Mass State police. The guy who took out all those motorcylists here in NH was from MA.........he had a CDL that should have been suspended by the Mass DMV. Big shake up in the DMV and a ton of drivers had their licenses suspended AFTER it should have been done. Good time had by all.............until someone dies or gets hurt. Then watch the roaches scurry when light gets turned on.
Much of the insane massive loads decades ago were limited, fabrication shops for large scale construction built the oversize machines from sectional pieces on sites where today localized factories produce them and have to be hauled on the roads. Comes down to costs savings and speed.
I bet if some of you guys spent one day here in amish country you would see more bad stuff than you could see in a life time most places. Ranger pulling a fullsize horse trailer with a load in the bed.
Why go to the trouble of a gooseneck hitch ?
Just for some context.............this is the latest of what I speak of regarding CDL's and Mass. Massachusetts RMV revokes 26 commercial drivers licenses linked to alleged State Police bribery scheme The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles has revoked the commercial driver's licenses of 26 people linked to an alleged State Police bribery scheme. www.cbsnews.com The DMV scandal of not suspending licenses after violations, drugs, or operating impaired is from a few years ago. I can look that up if anyone is interested.
You know you guy's are all correct----take down all the speed limit signs, stop signs & stop lights. * Yes I see that DM----again it's all about speed and boils down to money, the almighty dollar. * They were still breaking the law, it's zero respect for it. * Now a question--why do any of you post photos of crazy/stupid *** people doing crazy *** things then questioning why/or should there be any traffic laws and federal codes or enforcement?
If you slowly moved lowering patrol and move up massive fines and prison sentences to get a cultural shift from what you can get away with from the coppers to what you can actually get away with. Those entry years till people got it would not be fun. You cannot just stop patrol, it would be like Oregon legalizing drugs
Mot one bit of that would work. You have to remember your dealing with people who reason with the mind of a child stuck in a adults body.
That's one state.
Well...........let's look at what the UK is doing. They have traffic CAMS EVERYWHERE. Not just for speed violators........EVERYTHING. Seat belt violations, pic of you not wearing seat belt.........DING!! VIOLATION. Holding your cellphone.........DING!! VIOLATION. Etc, etc Sadly, I see that happening here in the US. Legislators see that as a way to make money of We, The People. London has a tax for coming into and out of the city for EVERYONE, not just commercial vehicles and taxis. NYC wants to do the same...........money maker!! A MassHole legislator thinks it WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA to put toll booths up on 93 and 95 at the NH/MA border..........that caused a huge up roar and now they are back pedaling. I have a rule.........I don't go to MASS for work. Mass State Police w/ DOT now have tail pipe sniffers. You get stopped, first thing they do is stuff that sniffer into your pipe. Your NOX levels are too high?? Oh, you must have deleted your system. Truck is red flagged, out of service, needs to towed, then proof of repairs and meeting emissions levels, huge fine.............federally funded crap. Full disclosure..........I grew up in Mass., worked most of my life in Mass, had to get out.........HAD TO!!!LOL
Do we need capital letters?-----And this is turning sour with political phrases.----------------------------.
You've got me there. I have zero respect for the law. Laws are written so virtually everyone is committing multiple crimes every day, mostly unaware of it. The system is set up for 'show me the man and I will find you the crime'. I have zero respect for that. Some of us need and want to be told what to do, others do not. I know which one of those people I am. Which are you?
Just for emphasis.........RANT over. Just making a point that a majority of legislation and enforcement is driven towards revenue.........and, I suppose; a detriment towards law breakers. However, my point stands..........pay off the right people, you can skirt the laws with impunity. (paying for details, buy a snowblower for a trooper, etc).
I'm just a average joe--unoppressed--not a victim either.
Same here. No ticket in years, no need to worry of the way I drive.
Same here other than the latest assessment on my home, went up just over 70% with no real changes to it in many years!
There are always unintended consequences. Many political jurisdictions saw the 55 mph speed limit as a way to enhance revenue. Then law enforcement allowed their political masters to make revenue collection their main task. Now the next generation of law enforcement wonders why they are despised, but refuse to look in the mirror.
Here's a different kind of overload. This load went over and this poor little transfer trailer box took a lot of abuse. It looks like it might have done some sliding in the process. It has that typical " bed edge meet tires" damage down the flop side and those scuff marks. Tweek.
Oops I mis identified a regular old pup box. The enclosed tower threw me off. Reminds me of the 3 axle pup that a guy drug under my loader at the topsoil farm in Adna. It was worse than that. It had been drug into a ditch working on St Helens and the middle axle came up and arseholed the box proper as it departed, it had rounded off corners like it did a complete barrel roll. Hey we needed 7~8 axle dump and pups and they got it rolling. Not pretty, but it had all 6 super singles down and rolling.
Needs more axles
Yes it got slammed behind the door when axles were being passed out, plus it will be tough to find a driver--anyone driving that is desperate-only half a man with 4 drop axles--a real real he-man truck would have 5.
Asphalt haulers here have gone almost exclusively to Three Drops, Quint Axle sets, spoke to a driver that felt all those did was add maintenance and failures, two seemed excessive but worked fine. Another Craze is a Drop axle as on extreme length Concrete Mixers on a Pnuematic Swing arm.
Here is a overload for some peoples minds. Personally I like it for the fact it bugs people who can't stand others crazy ideas. Anyone who thinks outside the box is just not normal for some. Most people like to keep the peas on their plate from mixing with the potato's, everything must be separate no mixing of stray peas. Yeah it's ugly as hell but to him it's what he likes and makes him money. One thing's for sure he doesn't spend allot of time polishing or wasting money those supplies. Makes the world go around, if everyone did the same thing it would be a real dull place. *
Ask me how I knew he was a short little **** without seeing his picture. That is art and I do appreciate that the flat black goes on everywhere over everything no fuss no muss.
I don't think Ira isn't short and not a little **** by no means and he's definitely put a lot of work and effort into that old freightliner with a 3406 cat. Most of those zig zag cut plates are deflect air away from the mirrors or cab because of the fenderless front tires. Wicked intent semi.
So long as its safe to drive who would care!! AFAIC he has big Cahones! Doubt are many that would attempt a brake check of that!
I'm surprised no front fenders/open tires is legal. Around here the rock throwing tires would tend to sandblast/destroy the sides of the truck.
I'm pretty sure he talks about that in a video somewhere. That's why there is so much flat plate on the truck so he can control the air and keep it off the cab
Watch these two shorts from him, these like 4 - 8 total about the deflectors
Was on way back to yard yesterday, one of these wannabe RSH super haulers was in the way as stopped to get some stuff for dinner for the wife. The couple were arguing of not being able to access the city park camp areas not because of flooding but for too much ****, were going to be charged for Two sites had they had Two open and didn’t. Were trying to gain approval of the Loutre Store to use the open parking lot for a night and were getting nowhere. Was a F550, 44’ fifth wheel and a 24’ pontoon boat on a two axle trailer, where river access also is currently Closed. Had weight tag on truck as I looked so had DOT been down there as usual his Overlength Multiple trailers rig likely would have cost him a hefty fine if no Class A with Multiple endorsement.
F550 + 44'RSH + 24' Canoe. Credit cards maxed couldn't afford to park it.
From store clerk today, They were headed home as she left the store last night, not sure where was going to park for the night but was not allowed there.
Now that was down right unhospitable.
Exactly, the store insurance will not cover is the reason.
A large trucking company hauls doubles and triples to their own yards, and that works. Those guys know where they can go and don't go off script. Heading out on the open road with a personal double is just boneheaded. it's like everybody has to give you a yard for free. He's one wrong turn away from plugging a road. If you can't just back it up or turn around on your own, keep it off the road. At least the RV's flat towing can unhook the Toad and re-connect after getting turned around. We were on the way out of town and dropped my brother at King Street Station in Seattle. It's a dead end road I'm familiar with, and I flipped around right here without backing up my RSH and got the heck out of dodge after kicking him out.
May not be an overload but definitely shouldn’t be on the road Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com
Perfect.
I would like to view this, but have never had, nor never will be part of facebook. http://
I just tell myself that I don't need to view it lol
I took a different route in the lot and I found the trailer that goes with that bent pup box.
The old Ford truck is clearly a long retired Town Truck. Typically they are bought by farmers. This farmer will be bragging the rest of his life about this escapade. He does have an electric brake control, what are the odds it is connected?
As to that Multi Rig F450 photo, looked up the capability to purchase a Tow Dolly for that purpose, the Information Page Conjecture and Assumptions as to legitimacy leaves a lot to be desired. Automated Safety Hitch System Review This Automated Safety Hitch System is grossly ignored, overlooked and misunderstood. Learn about it here. fifthwheelst.com
Randy just got slapped up side the head with "No good deed goes unpunished".
On the subject of post 4378: In the 1970s George Connors was sort of a local hero. They were building a new highway through Manchester, a number of houses had to go. Tim Keys bought a 28 by 48 ranch style for $1. He hired George to move it. They travelled back roads as much as they could, fewer cops, fewer wires across the road. George was on the roof with a chainsaw, his son in the driver's seat. One branch at a time, one cable at a time stretched up to clear the roof, they travelled about 20 miles. No permit. Near everybody knew about it for miles around, seems some police must have known. I built a makeshift shelter for a dozer, then moved it 3 miles. Too tall for the wires, I backed the trailer inside it, chained it up under the trailer. I'll guess 14' tall. Went down Main Street Danby to avoid police. My heart has never beat so hard! I was sure I'd get caught!
I moved a trailer house about 2 miles once. But I borrowed a JD FWA tractor to pull it. Built a hitch to put on the 3 pt. because we had a steep lot to come off. No plates= no problems.
Used to wonder why jobsite office trailers only generally had One Axle. Most appeared far heavier than 7-9000lb and the axles most times had no brakes. Then saw most were trailered ON a trailer to the site and the axle used for moving it around the site. Well Brother In Law and his original partner at the Salem MO farm needed a cabin, a ‘Buddy’ (only Half a Word) had one of these a 18’x 7’6” x 7’ inside height on a single axle and a 2 5/16 ball hitch. So knowing his own Half ton GMC long bed with a 454 could handle that those two proceeded to haul that unlicensed trailer house to Salem. Did not get caught, had put a box van trailer license on it the partner had, but noted that top heavy swing like a pendulum bugger was a nightmare over 50mph. Took them 4.5 hours from West St Louis county to the farm at Gladden MO. Sweating bullets any time a semi passed them as would start the bugger whipping. Lucky no one got hurt.
And at least one wife was furious! But she forgave him because he makes her laugh.
One for Nige. Cat on the back, Foden up front. NZ Road Transport and Contracting-Archives | Pretty cool | Facebook Pretty cool www.facebook.com
Don't know what this guys got on the back and don't care--but the dash is overloaded with welfare radios. *
That is a LOT going on
If I had to drive a freightliner every day, all day, I'd probably be lonely too.... At least the shifter isn't scraping the ceiling.
Why is it you don't like a Freightliner?----and that's a old photo.
Every freightliner I've been in, or looked at, that had that dash- the dash was all broken up. I can't believe that one in the picture is in one piece, with all the extra holes in it for radios. Of course every one that I've been in or looked at, was a worn out piece of junk, which really isn't freightliner's fault. We also had one a little newer, at a place I used to work, and I swear that was the hottest cab I've ever sweat to death in. Its okay though- I've currently got a KW that I'm about to give up on, its been in the shop more than we've had it on any work site, and I'm about convinced its a problem child and want to have it be someone else's problem. I'm a little pessimistic on the truck front at the moment.
Early 90's Freightliner added dash supports. Freightliners--it's freeze or fry on the old classic cabs. Newer models have good systems.
8664 series were refrigerated Hot boxes summer and winter. AC kept ears cool heater could almost defog W/S in winter but dog house and cab front wall basically direct to heat source summer and cold in winter. My old K100 not much better. Just did not whistle air leak around doors.
Maybe I'm old, but give me a 1969 W 923 with a 290 and a 5&4. I think there were 6 switches along with the two air valves. Radios were not permitted by the employer. I could figure out the cab fairly easy. Looking at the photo, I'm lost.....
That's what you do when your real dream is to be is to be a commercial pilot but couldn't get your license.
Actually--it's just creating a wiring nightmare, as if trucks don't have enough issues already.
Yeah, it would be a nightmare if there was an electrical problem.
Usually ends up Dash on FIRE!!!!
Usually ends up Dash on FIRE!!!! That sounds similar to a "Hair on Fire Day." Especially at 60 mph going down the highway.
Oh! come on! You know all the wiring is routed safe and tied down to prevent rubbing on sharp edges!
Until its not!!
Years ago working construction driver calls in he was close to shop & had a electrical storm in dash. A oblong x 6" flat river rock was stuck in the dash, sparks a sizzle. Was stuck in the duals pulling a belly dump went right through the vertical rungs on the headache rack just missing his shoulder. Back in the days of two way radio.
111
Some might consider this a little over the top {an over load of sorts}. If he had left the skull off the top it would have been just right, that addition was just a little too much. *
How does a guy wash something like that? Chemical wash?
Fire
Kinda makes ya think where the world is going?……(JMO) or course.
Don't even think of a Sterling.
Talk about distracted driving.
Driven a Sterling, would have been better off continuing the L LT LTL LN series than build those.
I haven't driven it. Friends have a 1998 Sterling tandem dump. It has a great many miles on it. Son,(50) parked it on a gentle grade in gear, didn't set the spring brakes & took another job. Truck sat unused a month or more. Father, (75 at the time) felt it should get a bit of exercise. He climbed up, put it out of gear, started it. After it built air enough to release the spring brakes, it rolled down thhe hill smashing through the wall of the building. That is when they learned there is a different hood for each engine option. Took forever to find a replacement hood/grill.
Some of the ***** I would see in 3rd world countries, namely the Arab ones.
GMC 1500 will be fine for towing this, right?? Right!!
Heck with the GMC 1500, my 2006 Ford Ranger would haul that with no problem. The 2.3 inline four is tough. Just might have to break it down into say, fifty loads!
Manufacturers need to be pressed on too excessive GVWR values. Sure they can pull it engine wise, but incapable of controlling the weight is a real problem. The ?owner? Or hauler needs to eliminate the Dunlop. Perhaps that last Little Debbie cake reach caused the problem!!!
OMG............Lil Debbie cakes!! Too funny!! Literally laughing with tears..........
I wish I had a picture of Roger towing a mini excavator in a 4 cylinder Ranger. Or a picture of him carrying 5 16 foot Black Locust logs in it. About had to touch the brake to bring the front down to see the road or steer.
That's just counterbalance for the extra tongue weight Probably needed to step up to Dolly Madison for a boat that big
"it all went wrong when I reached for the tipped over Red Bull" " I did not need the wings at that moment"
"Missed it by that much!"(the lake) Needed a passenger or 3 to keep the truck level side to side.
Or a 40K wrench out front..... Jus' sayin'
With boats and boat trailers trending..... Today I saw an empty 4 axle boat trailer headed down to a boat launch in Renton on Lake Washington. What got my attention was the tow vehicle; a half ton Ram. Now I will say it was labeled as a Hemi so perhaps that makes everything "OK." I wish I had the time to follow the lashup to see just exactly got loaded on the trailer.
I imagine they had to leave a window down to get out of the pickup, because I don't think they could get the doors open.
LOL............were you passing them in the break down lane to get that pic??LOL
I pulled over because I wanted a better picture! I'm out there everyday working for you guys.
Hopefully they were just moving the trailer. I had to do that a few times with our sailboat trailer. The storage yard was in Fife and my shop was in Tacoma. A half ton could move just the trailer but to move it with the boat loaded up we had a one ton van
———————————————————— Dm me for video credit : @ ———————————————————— Help us grow/share this in your story ———————————————————— #4x4 × #Truck × #Diesel × #Lifted × #Trucks × #Trucklife × #Cummins × #Truckporn × #Powerstroke × #Turbodiesel × #Duramax ———————————————————— Dm me for video credit : @ ———————————————————— Help us grow/share this in your story ———————————————————— #4x4 × #Truck × #Diesel × #Lifted × #Trucks × #Trucklife ×... www.facebook.com
Crane Operator, what were you doing near Jackson Mo, or was the truck out further west?
Looks like the 60 - 65 interchange looking north.
Southeast side of springfield. I don't think the name and number on the truck, is the current driver. Southbound 65 just before 60 interchange.
Earlier this week I was traveling near the Shelton WA exit off 101. I spotted an older 1 1/2 ton truck with a rack over the flat bed. On top of the rack was at least 16 framed up trusses. It was heavy enough to squat the truck. I can't imagine how top heavy it was.
This guy anyways brings the amusing loads here to the mill.
I wonder if the Ol' school OG's are the ones who started the 'Carolina Squat' rage with trucks?? Some young un said Hey!! That looks really cool!! I wonder how I can get that look without over loading the **** out of my truck?? LOL
Not ever understood the desire for extreme Low or High or this newer craze.
Those tires must ride almost as bad as solid rubber tires. The next trend may be wooden spoke wheels
I dont understand but it will be like a lot of stuff they will look back and think what??? I like driving a pickup but i dont understand every one drives them and some never haul anything. I never really had anything or thought much about a economy vehicle until my Dad had a car that he said i could have or it would be scrapped . I really didnt want it but i got it fixed up to resale . I started driving it and thought why have i wasted so much money on gas always driving a pickup ? After that i try to have something that is cheaper to drive.
You didn't show the little fat girl sitting on the hood for steering assist.
I don't like the squatted trucks but what's worse is the laws that outlaw them
I tried to figure out how many miles and what ever you needed to drive to make a second economy rig pay off but its hard to figure out. I like to think i can figure out stuff but its tuff some times. I probably brought this up before but i have a old truck with a dump 14' bed very handy i use it alot but i also have a single axle tractor that is alot nicer and in better shape . Does it make sense to buy a dump trailer and do away with one truck? I will probably do this in the future .
You got that right, how can anybody think they have the right to take away a man's liberty to install one spring pack instead of another. Ridiculous. Just let people be.
A liberal is much like a socialist in that both believe every act they personally don't participate in should be illegal.
I believe it actually started in southern California, they were doing it to mimic the look of a Baja trophy truck under full throttle. Like everything automotive, they have to take it to the extreme. They also now like to "make it clap", ie put very small dual exhaust on to give that loud crackling sound, sounds awful to me but whatever.
The reason they do these silly things is because it annoys old geezers, worrying about it just encourages them.
That was my youth, now I'm one of the old geezers.
Back in my teens I had a '77 Chevy Blazer. Had 2 parts trucks. We went off roading all the time......hard. One day I decided it would be A REALLY GREAT IDEA TO PUT GLASS PACKS IN!! So cool and loud!! Yeah.....not so much. Can't hear radio, can't really talk at normal level. Lasted a month. Put the old exhaust back on. Those Honda's and V dubs that roll by the house blowing raspberries and 'clapping' at me.......impulse is to pull the gun out. Put a hole in the block for them. Guess I'm getting old too.
Just cut the grass blowing on the street
Well.........I guess it was inevitable. Checked email this morning.......all kinds of messages stating that attempts from different accounts were logged into. Amazon, Ebay, etc. I've been hacked.......AAAuuuugggghhhh!!! So much for Norton protection.
If it fits it ships!
Straps, check!! Ok.........LETS ROLL!!
HOW is that trailer still in one piece?? You'd think it would be folded over right now!! Send that to BIG TEX trailers................that's promo material!!LOL
Wonder HOW MANY sparkly lines they took out before being stopped......
Seems that stupid people do stupid things.
I see nothing wrong with this
Probably a few feet above the 13'6" legal height. No overhead lines crossing a major highway are that low. If I recall correctly those boxes are about 9000 LBS. It probably doesn't exceed trailer or truck GVW rating. I'll say overheight citation & probably unsecured load fines well deserved. I wonder how they will clear the roadway? Bring in a low bed & crane?
Been better off LONG Load on a Short gooseneck, idiots come in ALL flavors.
Should have just put it flat on the deck and rented a bumper pull the same deck height and put it beside the gooseneck
#teacherproblems #teachersbelike #teachers #teachersofinstagram #teachergram #teacherhumor #teacherjokes #teachermemes #teachertribe #teacher #schoolmemes | Arturo Aviña | Beyoncé · 16 CARRIAGES #teacherproblems #teachersbelike #teachers #teachersofinstagram #teachergram #teacherhumor #teacherjokes #teachermemes #teachertribe #teacher #schoolmemes. Beyoncé · 16 CARRIAGES www.facebook.com
And a different sort of overload ♀️ Barno never fails. #tarn #Barnsley #barnsleybeauty #DrinkResponsibly | Shona Elizabeth | The Edwin Davids Jazz Band · Benny Hill ♀️ Barno never fails. #tarn #Barnsley #barnsleybeauty #DrinkResponsibly. The Edwin Davids Jazz Band · Benny Hill www.facebook.com
We are working in North AL and have our camper there. This contraption came in, stayed a few days and left. I made sure to give them at least a 45 min head start before I left to go to our job that is 10 mins away.
Saw this on the internet today.
That’s what they call a quick change glider kit?
Hey Frightshaker you missing your drives time it's fun point out the obvious. You want a 300" wb my brother can weld
Appears had a few too many bolts on the side fish plates!!!
I knew a guy, towed an 8000 LB fifth wheel camper with a four cylinder Toyota Tacoma. Lived in VT & had driven the rig to Alaska.
That fifth wheel was just really, really dry. Do not drill or weld frame rails, ring any bells?
Photoshop.
It sure doesn't look real but i could see it happening.
Those guys in Pakistan could have that back on the road in no time. For cheap too. Joe H
Better him than me. Talk about white knuckles..
I saw a truck hauling pit-run sand and gravel break in two about like that one. Was running a S&G plant on a backroad back in the 80's. We were having trouble getting loaded trucks out as the weight limit on the road going to the interstate was zoned for less then 50,000 total. Some fly-by-night company started hauling pit run next to us and was hauling it to a plant some miles away. They were bootlegging that stuff our in tractor trailer dumps loaded clear over the top. Someone told me when the state finally checked them they grossed over 125,000. Anyway, this hauling came to a swift end when one of their R model Mack tractors broke the frame just ahead of the rear wheels at a stop sign in town. The front of the tractor only moved a few feet ahead of the carnage behind it. The state weight boys put that operation out of business pronto.
My broke trailer story was particularly nasty. Hot summer, overloaded 40' end dump low sided rendering trailer, broke down along the highway with a cloud of flies around it. They jacked and welded it that night and it was gone the next day.
" learn to weld" they said. " It's fun and rewarding" they said.
63' van--no air lines/electrical/drivelines/oil on ground/fuel tanks are not crushed. Every truck page on FB is full of photoshopped/AI created stuff, it's getting real tough in some cases to see it, some go to great lengths to make it look authentic. Recently on a page I go on there was a great stir over a mid 80's Pete/S. E. Rykoff backed into a dock in Frisco--many claiming it was a toy truck. The photo was taken from a second story window. I had delivered to this same dock, the conspiracy theory folks stopped flapping their gums when I pointed out--It had to be the only model truck in history that had been through a CVSA inspection. I blew the photo up & could see the sticker right bottom of windshield, with corner missing for that quarter.
That would be some serious modeling dedication!
Dealt with some nasty crap on WM maggot wagons, but them rendering wagons are a whole nother realm of FUNK.
Yes and you know if the thing is broken where all the juices are going to run, right to where you're going to sit and weld.
Just be glad it wasn't human remains.
There seems to be plenty of space between the tires and the trailer which could mean the airbags aren't deflated which should mean the frame would be pointed down in the front if it was a legit picture.
Funny story( for us), friend was involved in the fish business on and off for years. He had a truck that hauled fish offal to the rendering plant across the border. Customs had a new person who just had to look inside the lid of the tank even though she was told not to. There was a little wave still moving inside the tank and you can guess what happened when she opened the lid….
When I lived in Ellensburg---A guy I knew bought a radiator shop that also had another business tied to it--the only septic pumper in town & county. Came with all the state contracts for pumping rest areas. Anywho the trucks were old 60's GMC's with vacuum pumps. The old owners showed him the operation of loading and pumping off at the local county crap pond. The first didn't go so swell, he and his helper were trying to unload and it wasn't discharging, so for some reason he was fiddling with discharge hose when his helper found the right combination on the valves-------hose bucked around and covered him in crap and white mice!. The Creature From the Brown Lagoon.
Septic trucks and a oilfield water truck is basically the same thing, luckily when I covered myself with fluid most of the time it was saltwater and a few times oil. It was always a stupid mistake and avoidable.
Been there, done that…..34 yrs in water and waste water, been part of lots of mistakes, both above and below the bowl, mostly just the cleanup end but still, it takes a strong stomach sometimes.
Got behind a maggot wagon one day decades ago.....90○+ day. Pulled over and barfed my guts out. Ed
90 degrees with an overnight rain and 15 tons of residential garbage that couldn't offload day before because of breakdown is the secret recipe for maggot wagon magic. Walk out to the truck in the morning and it looks alive from all the wiggly rice squirming around, can't even see out windshield and don't even think of turning wipers on. Then to sweeten the mix add an entire flock of sparrows swarming the truck for the maggot smorgasbord while sitting in line at landfill. Priceless....
Back to overloads https://www.facebook.com/reel/323790747467629
Poor little Taco
Crane loaded, dock???? At least they took the blade off........
That's a brand new machine. Wouldn't expect a dealer to overload a trailer like that. Could air bags on the truck not be inflated?
bags don't take the bend out of those wimpy frame rails. That is an expensive mistake. Aluminum rigs like that are either flat or arched for the load, not swayback like a 40 year old mule.
The trailer might be rated for the weight of the machine, but it's probably evenly distributed along the length of the trailer, not 12' in the center.
That's kind of what I thought. I was thinking the air bags would at least put the wheels on the trailer more level. Definitely a heavy load considering the trailer could have a 3rd axle. I've seen trailers bow down a little but I don't know how much is acceptable?
That is not lol, look aluminum so that might be a permanent bend in it
Stuff like that is what keeps shops busy, people destroying things is good for the repair industries bottom line.
Years ago in Seattle Southbound on the lower deck on the old Alaskan Way Viaduct another fish guts event; trailer broke I believe it actually split and spread fish guts half a mile or so before they realized the trailer had issues. Luckily it was during the rainy season.
Do you remember the Brinks armored the rear door opened dumping bags of cash on Alaskan Way, the mission just emptied and skid row was grabbing cash running to the liquor store.
Not really, I do remember about 40 years ago an armored car northbound 4th Ave about 10 PM doing the same thing. Similar results I also remember the Union 76 tanker SB that caught fire. That fire gave me a bunch of OT repairing electrical circuits under the NB lanes and under the SB lanes.
The brinks was a Paul Harvey Rest of the story.
Think it was about 10 years ago, on the hottest day of the year, that a truck going to the rendering plant dumped it's load on I-5 right in front of the Tacoma Dome. I drove through about a hour later and it was like driving on ice, except it smelled way, way worse
About '05, they had a fire at the rendering works. I got asked to run the rebuild, it was a 2 week job and the first thing I did was dig out all my old clothes and get a bucket of quarters. You went to work in the morning and at end of day you went home stripped off in the garage ran for the shower, cleaned up and then went to the laundromat to wash the clothes you wore. You wore them every day until the end of the job and then disposed of them. As can be expected, it was an August job. I took several old blankets and covered the seat of my 1988 Escort beater work car so they would not stink so bad. At the end of the job, my carhartt overalls were hard as a rock and black from all the tallow and other "byproducts." Nobody lost their lunch there except one time a "sensitive" apprentice tossed their cookies when animal control came in and dumped a truckload of pets they had put down. I think everybody South of I 90 down to Olympia has a rendering works story. You could smell the plant for a 5 mile radius and their trucks were always breaking down at the worst time of traffic.
Seems like they don't "pick up" road kill anymore like they used to. I think that job got canceled. Government services just leave it to rot on the side of the road, like some mad max movie. You'd think it would be a health hazard for west Nile virus or who knows what. Back in the old days you'd never see an overloaded rendering truck.
They still pick them up around here on the state highways. There is a number to call and report them. Then a guy drives around and drags the carcasses onto a trailer and hauls them off. Different story on the county roads. They get left for the vultures and other carrion. It only takes a week or so and the carcass doesn't smell that bad anymore. Some local coyote hunters will collect some deer carcasses if they're fresh to bait coyotes with. They can place a carcass in a field, but they can't put traps within a certain distance of the carcass in case an eagle flies in.
If the fish and game boys had to pick up the carcasses there would be a lot more permits issued.
If they really wanted the deer population brought down, they'd roll back the price of a deer tag. It was $20 a tag for years, then they jacked the price to $40/tag a few years back and people quit hunting. Make deer meat a viable alternative to store bought meat again.
My state is addicted to the sales tax revenue from new car sales and repair bills from car/deer collisions. The people who get killed are just collateral damage.
The opposite of an overload; Looks like a three yard cement drum on a 1950's truck... I'm not exaggerating !! Cadman Gravel Co. cement truck at construction site, Redmond, July 27, 1956 Handwritten on sleeve: Cadman Gravel. Handwritten on scan envelope: Cadman Cement Truck 1956. digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu
I quit Bambi blasting close to 40 years ago. Just too many nutcases in the woods with firearms wanting to shot at anything that moved. At this point in my life (72) I doubt I will ever go hunting again. Packing a hindquarter of elk out of the brush up the hill just doesn't sound like fun anymore. And I found that in those days venison elk and such cost close to $20/ pound not all that cheap when you could buy a good steak for $1.00/ pound. It was a good time hunting before the overpopulation of "hunters."
Facebook www.facebook.com
I have watched this little vignette develop for the last several days. If you "repair" it, no permit required. It is sitting on concrete blocks stacked on the bed. I wonder how long they will wait to *not* crack the slab?
The dog is acting a little guilty. *
Lumber has been expensive but not that expensive. Not worth time spent on that thing. Musta just put new roof on. I'm all about repurposing and saving stuff but that's like putting a paint job under a turd. How much does a permit cost? How about permit for slab?
We don't do permits in the county, just the property tax raises
I think it's a bit bigger than 3 yards.
We've increased the weights throughout the years more than doubled the gross. Come a long way in 70 years.
Not an overload, but twice I have spotted a sharp looking D9H on a lowboy on Canyon road. I was driving truck both times and busy so I did not catch the name of the truck, but it is rare to see a 9H.
Go on Jpaydirt channel and see all the D9H you want
do they use them to push clicks?
drop the "L" and yep
Not an overload, but oversized. It was 'interesting' towing it home for 1350 miles!
While the Expedition has the power and plenty of brakes, it sure didn't feel very stable pulling this home last night. This trailer usually pulls really nice with any load, but the rear independent suspension of the Expedition just feels washy, like your back end is slewing side to side all the time. I just replaced the rear struts on the Expedition, so I know that's not part of the problem. I know it's not a heavy duty truck and I shouldn't expect it to tow like one. This 2007 Super Duty is the donor for the engine for my 2008 Super Duty. The '07 has severe rust issues and a blown transmission, but a very nice starting and smooth running v10. I've been searching for about 6 months for a replacement engine and couldn't find any of these 3 valve v10s that weren't priced ridiculously. I went to Detroit yesterday afternoon and drug this one home for under $1500. I'm pretty sure I can get half that back selling the 20" alloy wheels and leather Lariat interior off. Though, those might become upgrades on my '08. We'll see.
Rear independent is nice for the ride. I always wanted to put the hummer independent under my Ram Cummins truck but that's a bridge too far, as far as time and effort. The Expedition would probably be comfortable with about 6K of HiLo travel trailer behind it FTW!
I've been rebuilding a V8 3v and I actually kind of like the engine. I just need to put the new spark plugs in, tape the intake holes, power wash and paint the engine. I'm going to do that today and then drop the engine in soon. I've been looking for an expedition with a bad motor for the wife but it's always money problems.
@skyking1 This Expedition handles 5-6,000 very well. This load was closer to 10-10.5k, and tongue heavy. I debated dragging the truck on backwards, but I didn't want the trailer to get tail heavy and wag the dog. This car hauler is a bit short for full size trucks. @cfherrman The Expedition has been a nice vehicle for us. Lots of space for a family of five, comfortable ride, plenty of storage space and can tow a reasonable load. This is my second one. The first was a 2005. It gave me a very trouble free 60,000 miles before I decided I didn't need one anymore. This 2012 has been a little more troublesome. I've replaced radiator, condenser, coolant lines, plastic coolant related fittings, driver door window regulator and a blower motor, on top of regular maintenance items like brakes, struts, wheel bearings, etc. I'm about to pull the radio to re-solder the back of the board to repair the display that doesn't read out anymore. It had 124,000 when we bought it, currently at 231,000. If I had to go across country tomorrow, I would absolutely load up the Expedition and hit the road.
I may end up buying one of these soon. I need another utility truck. Can you Ford experts tell me what is what with these engines? I thought V10s only came as 2V. If they are 3V, do they have cam and/or spark plug problems? Though I would rather have a V8 for economy. Same question, what years/models had which problems?
I hauled a heaping load of brush down from the property to my local transfer station. No matter how I stomped it, no more than about 400~500 pounds of dry stuff. I can dump 1980# for free, and may borrow Pete's little dump trailer for Monday. It will haul another 500#. With that rack and chainsaw, weedeater, post pounder hand tools and my FatAss, my empty weight is 7500. All emptied out I think is is 6800 or so. I was behind a 4th gen Ram with the bigger cab but the short bed too. He was 8400 empty! I did not realize how much heavier it got over the years.
The 2v/3v Ford V8/v10's have spark plug problems until 2010 I think, my rebuild has 2010 heads with a normal type of spark plug now. It's year/model specific, the early ones don't touch them as they were prone to over/under torque and they later ones would get stuck and break so you wanted to touch them a lot. It's really fine just need to know what you have and do them correctly. There is a mechanic on you tube I believe he said he's never broke a spark plug by doing them hot with a impact. These engines have mucho oil pressure problems because Ford doesn't have a oil pressure gauge and tensioner leaks can cause low oil pressure which causes the pass side cam to get starved and the thrust bearing to go out causing a need to rebuild. This is easily fixed with cast iron tensioners and a upgraded oil pump. My rebuild has both. Do timing every 100k. Colson, if you haven't done timing do it yesterday with the meling kit with cast iron tensioners, and get the meling high volume oil pump, your engine might already be bad I would also check the crank thrust with a pry bar and a block on the crank balancer.
The v10 in my 08 starved the passenger side cam. Seized while slowing for a stop sign. No noise. Just quit like someone turned the key. I will be going through the donor engine prior to swapping into my 08. Spark plugs, exhaust manifold and studs, timing chains, guides and tensioner, and possibly the starter will all be addressed prior to swap. And any leaks. My budget has been the limiting factor on this repair. Plus, we have 3 vehicles so there's no real urgency to put this on the front burner until timing and the budget allowed.
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know there was a better alternative to the Ford option.
I have my eye on an 05 or so F350. Nice trim package. Solid front axle though, I don't know if that is good or bad. 5.4 V8, extremely low miles and meticulous owner. My car mechanic says the cam phasers are OK if the oil is kept clean, I think he was on a 3000 schedule. But it has a flatbed, I would need to swap bodies. I don't know if it is worth it. I offered 7k and he wouldn't take it.
My '22 350 CC SWB is around 9K with all the crap in the toolbox and a full 95 gal in the slip tank. It's that heavy even with the aluminum body.
Saw this on I-65 last week. Reminded me of Spud - not the overload but the truck on the trailer. No thanks.
That trailer was rode hard and put away wet. Look at how it's dingled down there where the front is sitting.
Looks like it could use a new deck!
That little garage rebuild is progressing. They hacked off all that nasty wall and are salvaging only the roof now.
Meling is OEM, just not with the price. They are also the only one that offers the high volume oil pump Ford has the best chassis hands down, run the engine to 100k do the mods I suggested and run it till the end of time. Not a ton of power but good enough. Power builders like the 3v as they can make a ton of power.
I've been running a 351W for the past 8 years or so because my 7.3 PSD has a zillion miles on it. So a semi modern 5.4 would probably be a big step up in power.
The 5.4 has a varied history-some ok some real bad. I had one in company pickup it was ok but it had real low mileage too at that point. When I left it was given to another in the company and spent a fare bit at the dealer before it was dumped. A 2003 IIRC.
In my experience how something was cared for (or not) had way more to do with it than the product. Yes, Ford had spark plug problems. Ford also recommended changing the at 60k. They came out fine at 60k without breaking. At 150k? Ok, you have problems. Cam phasers? If you did 3k oil and filter changes you never have a problem. You run to 12k a few times and BAM, Ford motors suck! Yeah, well, follow the mfg guidelines.
Then again, I could just buy a GM from the same era with an LS motor and be done with it. Not picky.
^^^
There's issues with gms too, there's issues everywhere, the newer the not better.
If one was a lot better than the other would every one buy that one ?
It all just depends on what comes up for sale. This one with the 5.4 is for sale, low miles, but not a service body, I'll have to spend time and money swapping. I can get all kinds at the auction with high miles already configured correctly. I'm in no hurry.
Best I’ve found with the phasers is to do a lockout kit and have a tune done to delete them. Takes me around three hrs to do a lockout kit if everything else is good
951K views · 18K reactions | When I taught I’ve seen it all | Drop a word for this video | By Onome RobinsonFacebook Drop a word for this video www.facebook.com
Them boys know how to pack!
Is that red thing on top a small car ?? !!
Looks like it. Must have been interesting loading that.
That looks like my Mrs packing for a weekend away lol.
I think we may have overloaded the shopping cart
This weighed less than a load of gravel
For me to make a dump truck to be really useful it needs a long short sided bed but then that make not make it as good of a dump truck ?
Mine was first on a truck built with it. Standard length truck frame with springs mounted as far back as the frame allowed. It dumped very steep with a long overhang of dump bed rear of the pivot point. Older truck wasn't as tall. 14' long dump body would hit the ground. New(er) truck is taller, no longer hits the ground. Also used to have the trailer hitch mounted under the dump body, well behind the rear of the truck frame. I moved it forward attached to the truck frame. It tows much better this way.
My old Ford has a 14' long bed . I wish it was 20' sometimes but then maneuverability wouldnt be good.
We have 3 trucks with 22' beds behind the cab. One is a dump with axles set as far back as possible. Its turning radius is horrible. The other two have live bottom beds with the axles set about 4ft forward of the other truck. Night and day difference on turning radius. They turn as well as our truck with the 18ft bed.
I have driven the really long WB and you want a boat horn to sound. " Coming about!" "Don't get too close, I need to back and fill 4 times to make this corner"
Check the factory steering stop settings. Most I've found are set way to straight.
This accident in early morning hours in 1967----is the reason Fed Dot passed the ruling on trailer underride rear bumpers. Jayne Mansfield, husband & driver killed, her three children sleeping in the back seat survived. No not a overload. *
Although this morning on my way to the bank, as I glided around the 30* curve on 9th street I see a rather interesting incident unfold. One block south of the curve is a traffic light at 9th & Chestnut, two cars waiting at light were punted into the intersection. A U.S. Foods with a 53' three axle in tow never hit the brakes till about 8' from the second car in line which crashed into the first car. Second car a Ford Flex I think was totaled, tractor hood, radiator, fan, CAC, most everything trashed. A cop wasn't far off, I called my friend Bobby { You need to start the 50 to Pete and build air, you have a tow at such & such streets, he drove down before dispatched by law to save time, he has the only big tow in town. * A 40 mph rear-end-o, one thing I noticed-smoke came off the trailer tires--ABS isn't working. Truck had leaked off air to 30 psi in a 1/2 hour.
also not an overload, but a strange thing to see on the road. This team turned the corner ahead of me, and luckily they pulled over to have a meeting. This is not one, not two, but 3 early Honda CRX towing 3 more with towbars. I figure this is the Baja Ha-HA 1000 team with spare parts rigs.
I have seen these kind of setups rolling down I35, headed southbound, to Mexico, I assume. Usually a small junky pickup towing a small junky car or another small junky pickup. Seems like there are always 3 or 4 of them traveling together. I have noticed some type of temporary tags on the tow vehicles. I am sure they are going south of the border. "One mans trash is another mans treasure".
How do they not ruin transmissions like that
From other comments, I don't think the condition of the transmission matters.
One mans trash is another mans trash also, he just can't grasp that he's a hoarder.
Don't get me started on the mexican convoys..... Stuff like that is very common and a real problem here, on I-81 you'll see multiple rigs a day like that headed south. I think dealing with them is such a hassle law enforcement just hopes they make it through their jurisdiction without causing any trouble. They are getting far more brazen though, now we are seeing cars flat towing two cars behind them, with 2" ratchet straps as 'anti-sway' devices and medium/heavy trucks. Just a few weeks ago saw my first mexican convoy semi, no plates, 'IN-TOW' written on the back. It was a real pile of crap looking late 80's IH tractor, flatbed trailer loaded with cars and trucks, and everything on the trailer had more stuff loaded on top. Most of it was just secured with ropes if at all, I'm sure the sleeper was loaded with god knows what. He was stopped at a rest area and I couldn't get my phone out quick enough for a pic. At some point DOT and the highway patrol are going to have to do something, these convoys are becoming a real hazard to other motorists. Snapped a pic right before this rig almost piled us all up on the interstate, started wagging so bad on the downhill he almost came in my lane:
they were probably all manual transmission cars, they can be flat towed.
Make sure your uninsured motorist coverage is up to snuff cuz you can bet they don't have any. Joe H
See it all the time on I35/I135. Usually on way back to Mexico from wrecked vehicle auction. Semi trucks same way, cops/DOT won't bother them. A steady torrent of Spanish and the officer eventually gives up. Even if they were to get thrown in jail they would be out quickly. While inside they get a non leaky roof and we gringos provide free food and medicine.
And while your here would you like to vote
Stay on topic, and this ain't it.
All because of Co-Part, there are so many wrecked/abandoned vehicles available.
That job I did last was the office for a massive copart yard. They took a big wrecking yard, added a big frontage lot to an entire community airport footprint and ran 7' 7000 volt electric fence around it. It doglegs around those red roof apartments to the north, again at the housing over to the end of the runway. The Ace hardware and that neighborhood are cut out of it, and then it takes all of the former Roy Y yard which was pretty big itself.
stolen from another forum. This qualifies on so many levels.
I'd have followed that until the whatever happened. Shouldn't take long. Joe H
Saves a trip!
This was 4 years ago,had a customer bring in a bulldozer for engine work and I worked on it.He hauled it with a 2002 Ford F350 on a trailer made for a dump truck.I told him that he was overloading and going to get stopped.Told me that was not going to happen and he was wrong.DOT pulled him over when I was coming back from my lunch break after picking it up.Gave him an over loading ticket.Plus he blew up the engine in the truck.
If he had a f250 he wouldn't have got pulled over
....and he blamed you for the ticket as well. Thought you "dropped a dime on him".
What brand and model of dozer was it ?
I just knew it too and the engine was not in good running condition in that truck. An older Caterpillar from the 1980s
This trailer was carrying bicycles!
That would be a head scratcher..... How the he....
He was reaching for a Little Debbie snack.
Probably texting
"Safety" chains are strong.....
Down in Texas today. About the only way to hurt one of those old groves.
Don't have photos---one truck/trailer grain rig rolled exiting hyw 261 into Lyons Ferry grain terminal today. Totaled, he was given walking papers shortly afterward. Might have photos tomorrow.
Clay stockpiles got Full, rather than actually make me Part Time and send home the bosses decided to have me swap to a sand haul to a Concrete plant hour and half away. Are using us from Hermann Sand where are half owners of a sand mine at Old Monroe MO but only owning half are limited to volume as have other clients to support. I felt was pushing limits dragging 90gross on the old IH and the steel tub with no drops, not EVEN close. Been hauling 24t regular to concrete yard just slight heavy at 82-83 however saw one of the scale tickets from Old Monroe, tri axle Frame Style end dump on a Tri axle lift axle tractor, 132k, forty+ ton sand on the trailer. Made me feel insignificant. These guys cross only the sand plant scale, nothing highway. Using Old US 61 to get to A cross road down to concrete supplier.
1977 STL Mo, had just been laid off at Mack Truck dealer where foreman asked if I wanted a sure thing quick job. Said yes as needed income, the dealer had sold all the back lot ‘derelicts’ to a dealer in El Paso, needed drivers ‘with a little mechanical sense’ to run deck sets down there. Two day drive, hotels paid two meal tickets a day bla bla bla. Said Yes. Nasty stinking old GMCs, Whites, old Bulldogs all cab and chassis units no beds, some still had fifth wheels. Slow running THREE days down, CHEAP bed bug haven multiples to single rooms Motels, $5 a meal per diem so not so hot. Got to EP, floght we were scheduled for was day Prior so had to await the next Zig Zag flight and they put us in hotel for another two days. We watched the ensuing comedy show from the hotel as the Mex’s boight the junk, dragged them to border crossing where at that time COULD NOT be sent across Intact. Crew of men with gas aces cut frames behind can and the junkers dragged across to a Repair ‘Field’. Old driptroits would get batgeries and fuel, not ever check throttle or racks, light em up and off they would scream!! Mex’s running like roaches from pest spray, engine would “die” back they came to strip parts. Trucks, no functional brakes would start, be IN Gear or be being dragged and would end up crashed into others. Quite a laugh fest, then came home. There was one day one old fecker had done this before, kept on “needed to See Dog and Pony show”. Five of us went into the Mex Ghetto, not a good time.
That is unique.... Who would have thunk that one up????
Someone I'd not want ANYTHING to do with...... Insert face-palm 》here《
Oh, now I see the problem! He/she/they/them didnt hook up the light cord?
The license plate says it all . . .
Sometimes we come up with an ingenious solution to a problem, sometimes we're just stupid.
He doesn't give a rip or rest in peace, but this is normal behavior in 2024--1967 population was around 160 million--2024 331 million, it's going to be grand when it hits 431 million and we are hurrying to get there. It will happen in the life time of many members on here. * 1870 was a good year I've been told by historians, everyone just pissed in the camp fire to put it out.
Screen shot from tic Tok, thing was squealing tires bad
Pillow guy could use that for his ads
This guy came to our neighbour's sawmill yesterday to pick up these fir planks In this little Nisan. He came last week in a 3/4 ton. He only took 1/3 of the order. Note the only tie down on the load.
Tied to the tailgate cable no less
Some Will not ever learn
It probably has more to do with--those type don't care and less about learning.
Its for sale "for parts" . I don't know if they rolled it to get at the parts, or if it became "for parts" after they rolled it.
“This guy came to our neighbour's sawmill yesterday” Today’s load, (same truck seen from a few hundred yards away) was some longer material piled to about the same height. It looked like the steering was very light as he turned onto the road from the driveway.
That's AC---Miller will be wanting that to park next to a 190.
Just letting it take a nap, it was worked hard that day!
My Remaining Allis may not be with us much longer. Thinking this winter it getting a Much needed OH, clutch and PTO seals/shift work then hand that off to nephew at Salem or possibly Open Sale or Trade off.
As to that 745, note the Bucket Curl Arms, BOTH Sheared at what I suspect are Previously Badly Welded spots. Wonder WTH they were trying to accomplish to Break those and Dump it???
Maybe cut, not broken? Started to scrap it and that was easier than punching out pins?
Laid over at St Regis Mt I-90. I think I know who's truck and bees those are. *
Hate to see producers lose machines and along with the bees. Old Gull Wing KW?
The loss of bees is a chunk, queens flew and workers swarmed.
For about 5 years in the early 00's every time we visited Missoula we would see a truck laid over in the "loops" east of Haugan. One time we met hundreds of apples rolling down the road it was that fresh. I like the new warning sign: We aren't fooling, slow down. Not sure how much effect it will have.
I don't have a picture, but there was an 11 axle, live bottom asphalt truck/trailer combo laid on its side in Battle Creek, MI this week. I don't have the story of how he went over, but it was on a side road so I'm suspecting he got too far over and the ditch gave way. We rolled a parked grain truck that way in 2016. Our driver pulled a loaded truck off to the shoulder near where his pickup was parked. Got out, heard a groaning noise and watched the grain truck slide sideways and then roll to its side. Spilled about 250 bushel of corn into the ditch. That was a pain to clean up. We used our loader to right the grain truck, then lots of hands on shovels recovering as much corn as we could.
Has happened around these parts, especially in unseasonably wetter years where shoulder or ditch fills get waterlogged.
Not a OVL-but----get all the lights flashing, quick get your high viz on and chase it. The backhoe came in at second place with a driver/operator. *
That's a 40 hp outboard on about a 12' long , really narrow boat. I don't know if it's worse than a jet ski, but I think it would be a handful
Some have no sense
Might even leave the trailer strapped on underneath when in the water......
Almost looks like this TB260 is driving itself down the road
Can't tell what the tow vehicle is. Trailer looks like tires are tilting. Six metric tons (approximately) is a lot on a four tire trailer. Some of the single rear tired pickups have tow rating that'd shock you. Of course, my farmer friend would tow that with a four cylinder Ranger. His is rusted so bad I expect front half of the truck to drive away, leaving the rear with the trailer.
If this isn't an overload waiting to happen I don't know what is: There is a guy around here that has been toiling away for months with one of these gooseneck log trailers behind his one-ton pickup. I don't know all the details, but there is a steep hill that he broke down on, trail of ATF all the way from the bottom. Must have gotten it fixed because he was back at it this week. People go to such great lengths these days to avoid buying a medium/heavy truck.
That's because my diesel f250 can do everything
There's a small time logger near me that runs two similar gooseneck trailers for hauling logs. He built his trailers, but same premise. Work the living crud out of a pickup and fix it when (not if) it breaks. The rest of the local loggers run semi trucks with various trailers
Well I have a 2006 Ranger that has no rust so I should be good right?
My neighbor wanted Black Locust logs for a structure his wife dreamed up. Roger supplied them. He delivered 5 10" diameter top end 16 foot logs with the rusty Ranger. I expect he had to steer when the front wheels bounced. We have a four lane highway begins 11 miles from here. I was heading home, came up behnd a mini excavator on a trailer. When I caught up, sure enough, it was Roger in the Ranger.
That poor trailer. Looks like the tow vehicle is some model Superduty looking at the mirrors. We haul our 305 (11K) on a 14K tilt trailer and it's at the top of the weight for the trailer.
When the manufactures build vehicles like the one below, marketing it in such a way to cause the general public to think they can haul/tow anything---the trailer manufacturing companies are given every advantage to follow the lead by building attachments they know the public will just have to have to compliment the He-Man do it in the dirt truck they paid TOO much for. ---------------BIG NOSE DODGE. *
I have a half 2017 Silverado with an 11000lb tow rating will I ever put that much behind it hell no there’s just not enough truck in front for that much
Have a 2019 RAM 3500 dually that's been a great truck. Going to replace it this year with another BIG NOSE RAM with a CM truck bed for the crew.
good, it keeps the economy rolling.
If it's your dad, I'm dodging If it's your mom .....
Dodge/Ram has the ad showing a 1 ton like above pulling a backhoe, well sort of. It's on a construction site and never on an actual road. It should have a disclaimer that it is not recommended on public roads. Not much difference than the ad showing a truck pulling a space shuttle. It's just marketing hype. The manufacturers should be held liable if someone has or causes an accident because they were trying to duplicate what was shown in an ad or commercial.
Eating a Carolina Reaper is known to be not a good idea--people do it anyway. Parents telling their children not to smoke and ten minutes later they light one up. Speed limit signs, 50% don't head them. The reason there are so many lawyers is so many don't care. This thread thrives off of photos of people who don't care. Not going to stop stupid, monkey see monkey do world.
For sure. Stupid is as stupid does. Would be interesting... but your honor they even have an ad showing it can pull a backhoe. Would like to enter as evidence video number 1.
So, when a loser sprays on some Axe body spray, tries, unsuccessfully, to pick up some chicks, he should be able to sue as well?
My brother runs a landscape company, recently they finished a flagstone patio installation and had a partial pallet of bluestone leftover. Client didn’t want it, so my brother put it up on Facebook. About a day later, a prospective buyer showed up… with a Honda CRV. They took the whole pallet…
Can't tell if it's a 250 or 350. The Taki had a mower on it also which probably adds a good bit of weight
Those must be the ultra-ultra heavy duty ratchet straps…
What pisses me off most about guys like that (aside from being terribly unsafe) is they often get away with it scott free. I pull the same load on an 11-ton pintle trailer and air brake IH 4700 and DOT will gladly pull me over, but rarely do I see them pulling over pickups. I don't care that it's not a CMV, rigs like the one above are probably more of a menace to the motoring public than 90% of the big trucks out there....
It’s OK mg.. he’s got the blade down.. lol
In some parts of the nation I suppose that's correct, but around here not so much. The local landfill will basically charge your bill with extra fee for uncovered load. On the city cop patrol you might get pulled over by three cops that each started out as tire & auto parts sales. The county dept has a few of the same. The state dot officer that covers this area was originally from here and was a mechanic for the garbage co. I know for a fact he looks for and stops rigs like the taki above. He likes nothing better than ticketing for over 26,001 and no cdl.
That was Dodges poor attempt at building a Class 8--CNT900. GMC, Ford built some crap like that also. All of the big three were competing to see which could build the biggest PILE.
GMC's sorry attempt--1963 with a 702 cu.in V12 gas pot, 3 miles to the gallon on a good day. But gas was 23 cents then too and minimum wage was a 1.25. *
Used to be quite a few of those V12 GMC powering irrigation wells from western Kansas to Texas panhandle. Usually farmer got free natural gas from a well on his property. Gas is near gone and almost all have switched to diesel.
What happened is-----I want a big truck toooo.
These two are great
People who like that have never done major repairs on one.
I thought Dodge's big selling feature was the side panels opened up for easier access. In actuality they created a hideous looking contraption that looks like it was made from scrap metal in a 3rd. world country. Only thing that made it worse was if they stuck Fargo lettering on it. On another note I see Cat is coming out with a pick up truck in 2025 with 5 litre turbo engine. Who thinks it will fair any better than their attempt at class 8 trucks?
What I just read is the "Cat" pickup is a clever fake. Cat has apparently denounced all stories regarding a pickup. I think they learned their lesson with their attempt at a class 8. I want to know who is pushing the stories and doing the AI it is from my perspective a well done high quality fake.
AI is going to be the downfall of the internet, maybe the tech industry altogether. I'm envisioning AI will be the next dot.com bubble like we had in 2000. There is just WAY too much bad to go along with what little good it can do, at some point people will realize this (I hope.)
Can't agree more.
I asked a question to Google AI this evening. When was the 18 speed roadranger introduced? AI said 1963. It provided references. But the references were that some version of the Roadranger was introduced then. 18 speed came much later. It would not be that hard for AI to say it did not know, or to dig a little deeper and get a right answer. But instead it spit out a wrong answer.
I can see areas where AI could be of great advantage, such as in solving crimes. Imagine setting up an AI program to go through weeks and weeks of CCTV or video records to find a specific face or vehicle or number plate. It would be far better than tying up individual people to scan the records manually. But of course, the problem is that the criminally inclined are always ready to utilise the latest technology to defeat attempts to find them and bring them to justice. And I can see major criminals arranging to use AI for nefarious purposes. For mine, I'd gladly pay someone to set up an AI program to ID and hunt down scammer and spammers and then arrange to have their computer or phone handset blow up in their face, the instant they touch a button!
AI will actually make people smarter as they will have to decide if something is real when they see it. That cat truck was a poor conversion of a Ford raptor, Ford guys sall it a mile away. AI will also make prosecutors even more slimey as they will say that AI thinks this guy did it so convict him
I saw a similar rendering of thr Cat Raptor in John Deere garb. I must admit they both looked pretty real.
Yeah it does look good but a company won't just straight out copy a truck in the pickup market, so it gives it away to me
They sure set up a factory to build them fast. The Cat truck did have a lot of Ford references such as the headlights.
What makes those things look really silly is such a large body, then piddly tiny tyres on them. There are heaps of those size vehicles around here now when before you never used to see any. As they are now easily available in right hand drive and plenty of cashed up mine workers with nothing better to spend their money on other then jet ski's and boats and trips to Bali.
Truck that fell through covered bridge was 6 times heavier than posted limit The state says the ‘catastrophic damage’ to Babb’s Bridge will be repaired in the spring. The Ford F-750 weighed 36,000 pounds when it fell through the wooden planks and into the Presumpscot River. www.pressherald.com F-750 at 36,000 lbs through a covered bridge rated at 3 ton......
^^^That driver had to be either incredibly stupid or on drugs !!
Days of a west coast 9spd ie 5x4 & a crap bucket truck chased the stupid off dumb ones figured it out
1991--when the RTLO--L for low inertia was designed it moved the overdrive/splitter to the front of the rear section. Below the arrow points to the main shaft drive gear. On a 13 speed this gear is removeable but is fixed solid to main shaft, on a 18 speed this gear has a bearing pack inside that allows for rotation required for the ability to split the bottom 4 gears.----The Fuller Bros go way back to 30's. *
West coast 9 spd wasn't all that hard--it was laziness and too many moving parts & u-joints that killed it.
Should make the driver pay for the repairs. 36,000lbs. seems way too much for an F750.
They printed a couple more photos of the truck a day or two later, and it was an F750, but a 10 wheeler. So weighing 36,000 was not out of the question. Hard to get an accurate gross weight as all of the gravel is still in the bottom of the river. Still sad that it happened, sadder still is I remember when the original Babb's Bridge was burnt down in the middle of the night back in 1973. George
Somehow the trailer made it here from Texas. I bet it doesn't get great tire life or wear pattern
That's probably true---but it corners well at high speed with that negative camber.
You just flip the tires on the rim 1/2 way through
Can someone say, "wheel bearings?"
As good of a spot as any, to share this mess. This happened yesterday at mile 82 Seward Highway. That is Turnagain Arm in Cook Inlet. Outside Anchorage.
H Having been to Anchorage I feel it is safe say that that isn't an ice road. It's upright anyway.
Near high tide this morning.
Oh ya, just hang a Louie by the beach it'll take ya right to the dock.
What's the back story, how'd it end up there?
Here's a bit of history. This body of water is named Turnagain Arm. That is because when Capt. Cook was exploring, his crews could not row against the extreme current to get to the head of the bay. They tried, but always had to turn again before getting there, thus the name. It can be a wicked place to drive at times, especially when icy. During the summer there are the crazed tourist heading for Seward and Kenai that form driving messes.
No information released yet. He was going through a construction zone right before midnight. There was no guardrail because it had been removed. The rumor mill. The socials,.. He claims he lost steering control.
Turnagain is well known for its extreme tides. It has one of the most spectacular bore tides in the world, along with the Kimberley Region of Western Australia. The mud is dangerous. It appears to be hard packed, then turns to quicksand. People get stuck in the silt and drown when the tide rises. That particular area is sorta rocky, but it won’t surprise me if it gets silted in and troublesome to remove.
Derby, in the N.W. of Western Australia, has 12 metre (39.37 feet) tides. The bigger coastal trading ships had to have flat-bottomed hulls, so they could sit upright on the sea floor when the tide went out. Broome, a little further South from Derby gets over 10 metres (32.8 feet) in King tides. Cable Beach in Broome is a tourist destination with a beautiful beach that is driven on - but it regularly drowns vehicles when the drivers get caught out by the tides, and get bogged trying to reach high ground. 161K views · 550 reactions | Tremendous tide timelapse | TREMENDOUS TIDE TIMELAPSE Check out this video of the king tide rolling in and out of Broome on Friday. The whole process took 12 hours, but don't... | By ABC PerthFacebook TREMENDOUS TIDE TIMELAPSE Check out this video of the king tide rolling in and out of Broome on Friday. The whole process took 12 hours, but don't... www.facebook.com Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com
The Severn Estuary in England is recorded as one of the largest tidal bores in the world at 13m it's so strong that people have surfed the bore The Severn Estuary , which empties into the Bristol Channel , has one of the largest tidal ranges in the world – about 13 m (43 ft). [1] [2] It is exceeded only by the Bay of Fundy , and possibly Ungava Bay , both in Canada
I live in NB, alongside the peticodiac river that feeds into Bay of Fundy. Bay of Fundy tides are as high as 16M (53Ft) and the peticodiac river is also tidal. Surfers ride the bore once in a while, but it's a dangerous river,lots of current. Sounds like it'll be challenging to get that truck out! Keep us updated.
Pictured is the West Australian State Shipping Line ship, the 4000 ton M.V. Koolama, sitting high and dry at the wharf at low tide, at Broome, W.A. in 1940. The Koolama was severely damaged by a Japanese aerial attack on 20th Feb., 1942, while on a trip to Wyndham port, further North, with military supplies. Four Kawanishi Japanese aircraft dropped several 60kg bombs on her, and 3 bombs did major damage to the ship. One unexploded Japanese bomb was later found in the engine room! She was temporarily repaired and made her way to Wyndham, and had unloaded a considerable amount of her cargo, when she was attacked again at the wharf, by 8 Japanese Zeros, in a strafing attack, early on the morning of 3rd March, 1942. The second attack did only minimal damage, but the previous bombing damage was so severe, she rolled over and sank at the Wyndham wharf late in the afternoon of the same day. Her upturned hull is still visible today at extreme low tide, just 30 metres out from the new Wyndham wharf. If you want to check out the shipwreck, you only need to fend off maybe several dozen, extremely large crocodiles! MV Koolama - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org The Koolama Incident - https://navyhistory.au/the-koolama-incident/
How about this beauty I ran across yesterday. Cat 306 weighing in around 16K on a bumper pull dual tandem behind a dually with a pintle in the receiver hitch. Wanted to get a pic of the poor pintle receiver hitch but this contraption made a left under the bridge and back on I65 south.
As the old saying goes, "It's all good fun until someone gets hurt!". Manufacturers need to be a little proactive here, and have prominent decals adjacent to hitches stating strict towing load limits. With a number of manufacturers, it's difficult to find gross combination ratings for the vehicle, even when you do a serious search. Toyota here are quite good as regards prominent tow hitch info, I don't know what it's like in the U.S.
It is my opinion that multiple manufacturers muddy the water. Your truck is made by Toyota, your platform hitch might be Reese. Ball mount might be another, the ball could be another source. Weight rating is all about complying with manufacturer's instructions. Which manufacturer? My platform hitch on my van is rated 5000 LBS with a ball, 10,000 LBS with load equalizing rig. I've been using a pickup lately, its rating is much higher. Near new Ford F350 is rated 22,000 tow behind trailer, much higher with gooseneck hitch.
For sale, get it now.... (PS. that's a 2500 HD- with the pimped out wide wheels) 15’ Dump Trailer $23,000 · In stock Listed in Carthage, IL Condition Used - Good 15’ dump trailer 8-22.5 Alcoa’s 3”ball coupler I had made a dump trailer about seven years ago out of a Donahue grain trailer frame And my goal was to make a dump trailer that would dump anything I put in it and it worked great, except eventually the frame got bent from overloading it so then I went back to the drawing board and made this trailer and I’m gonna tell you what I’ll put this up against any dump trailer you can find I can haul 16 ton “off road”of course. With the semi axles, wheels and tires it pulls so nice! Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com
A better picture of the custom rig.
Let's see, you can legally put 34k on the tandem axles, so the pickup is the other 14,320? Can it do that?
With those wheels ?
Don't you guys know that taking a picture at an angle helps it dump anything you put in it?
You guys just can't let that Big Nose roll on by, just look at that menacing grille. It's a cost cutting, CDL dodging machine!
Not a ovl but one less 30's model Hispano Suiza J12. *
Oof. That sucks.
Yes it does, I'm not a fan of late model collector cars but the cars from 1949 down have some real character. I think this happened near Monterey/Pebble B classic show.
Ouch
16 ton?
Did someone say 16 tons? Tennessee Ernie Ford approves.
What took you so long?
Coaldust woke one morning when the sun didn't shine, picked up his shovel and walked to the mine. * Worked with a guy in construction that would arrive to work in the very early hours of the morning. The bosses house was right there near the yard, Gary would throw his cooler in the crummy and start singing 16 tons at the top of his voice until the lights would come on in the house, then he would hop in the crummy & speed off. * Gary was a character, lived in a shack that had one light bulb. He liked to tell the story about being woken up while sleeping in his master bedroom to a ruckus in the chefs kitchen by his watch dog and a skunk. { grabbed my trusty 12 and blasted him in front of the stove and settled back into the dream I was having when rudely awakened}.
Perfect day today, great sunrise!
one of three situations... He shot the dog... Gary had no sense of smell... he missed his target.
Gary was a good shot he lived off game, he never shot the dog he hit the skunk. You see Gary just didn't give a damn about anything, his brother helped him clean it up the next morning, one was like the other.
Phew ! The stench must have been strong with a 12 gauge. I can hardly stand it when the carcass is on the road 1/2 mile away on a calm night.
One a friend towed in yesterday --not a OVL. But with all the talk on this thread of people doing things they shouldn't I decided to post it. * 15 year old was driving, no CDL no hazmat, rounded a corner too fast. The front tank was loaded with aqua ammonia, rear tank water. Didn't have a seat belt on, ended up with a nasty gash in his head. Trapped inside, took awhile to remove him, lucky because of the fumes from ammonia. Sheriff didn't call DOT-which should have. I know this farmer, and I thought he knew better. Young man is lucky. *
Hopefully, the young man learned a lesson. I'm not too sure these days.
What do they do with aqua ammonia?
They spray it on fields of Wheaties.
One of the bales of recycling guys. Great tie down system.
Meh---it's ok, nothin to worry about, nothing to see move along folks, just another insecure load is all,-----it's the way america rolls these days.
I probably said this before but i work next to the only gas station in the middle of the biggest Amish Settlements there is . They dont have tractors but they can have skid steers . There are alot that use them for their work and hire them hauled. Most of the Drivers doing the hauling have PROBLEMS so 99% of the skid steers are not secured when they are hauled. I have been told several times that Skid steers have park brakes .
Seems hypocritical that they can have skidsteers but not tractors
Are the skid steers all on solid or other non-pneumatic tires?
I think it was because not many farm or raise crops for their main source of income. A lot of them do construction. They are very hard to figure out. No solid a lot on tracks because thats is the latest and greatest thing. I think there are several different branches of Amish one bunch now has side by sides Rangers . Someone needs to write a book if it could be done telling about what is what with the Amish and Mennonites .
I was told that the Amish church leader sets the precedent for his congregation. Locally, the story goes that his barn needed cleaning. He announced it on Sunday that they would clean it out on Wednesday. Nobody showed. Announced it again the following week. Nobody showed. The third week he bought a skid steer and did it himself. By month end, everyone had a skid steer. This group still farms with a team of horses, though they have pony motors on anything requiring a PTO. There is an Amish saw mill next to one of our properties. They buy all their logs from various non-amish sources. Move the logs with a TL-12 CTL, and mill them using one of their two mills run off a Detroit diesel power plant. A third party transport company hauls the finished product away.
And the entire congregation is deaf!
There was a great article a number of years back about Amish woodworking shops. one had a generator making power to run lights & motors. Another had a diesel power unit powering a line shaft. Machine tools were belt driven from the line shaft. It worked much the way mills were in the days of hydro power. Shafts can be overhead, or along a wall. Turn 90 degrees with bevel gears. A friend once owned an antique popcorn wagon, made popcorn & cotton candy at fairs & other large gatherings. It was VERY ornate. A very small steam engine fueled with propane drove the line shaft. It turned the corners with bevel gears. Shaft ran a few belt driven machines for large volume of popcorn, & tumbled it in a trommel over heat to keep it hot. Had a pump & water heater for clean up.
Hence why they did not show up on wednesday to clean out the barn.
Nah--just standard work stoppage, went on strike.
GM ad just on TV 3500 4wd SRW load rating 22,xxx lbs, the manufacturers are beyond Nuts at this point And Yes I have worked on the Flop Fendered 900 series Dodges two with 855s in them and Two 800s with Gas swillers buried under the cowls.
Is that the Max trailer weight?
Some of that old stuff left allot to be desired in other models, if one has never worked on them they are talking through their hat about what wonderful machine it is.
That's going to continue until fed/ntsb puts the brakes on it.
Sadly I realize
Was like 22,700 Tow/load capacity, hell the tires will not do that.
Like those old 190s, 200s/210s, Loadstars with a DT and Steel Hoods, or a Fleetstar with a 549 or a 3406a!! Never mind climbing around a Euc 6-110 with Hydraulic Brakes. Been a hard row the last Forty plus years.
Finally just looked it up, 2500 22,430 tow capacity 3500 36,000 or CDL Required weight https://www.rizzabuickgmc.com/research/new-gmc-sierra-hd-towing-capacity-cargo-volume/
It's a cult pure and simple. I've used several good guys for building jobs, etc. But it makes no sense it's all up to the local grand wizards.
They will require a CDL for every 1 ton purchased before long
And if it is equipped with a trailer hitch, they should. Not so long ago VT changed the law to require you to go to daytime school to get a CDL. This means employed people can't go to school. School is very expensive. Unemployed people don't pay. I bullied my sons to get their CDL. Younger son left college with a degree, but no job prospect. Hours into unemployment, he had a job driving truck. His hourly rate more than I have ever made. He didn't stay in that job long, but made big money & 20 hours OT at Davis Bacon wage rates. An insurance business owner once gave me the statistics. A new driver odds of a wreck in the first three months was at that time in the 90s percent. My sons, my extra sons, & my daughrers in law now range 30-40 none have yet had a wreck. I confess oldest son did lose an argument with his dog, got in the truck forgetting the trailer in the dark, backed up.
That's what I'm getting at.
My neck of the not woods…
I spent a couple years working at a rental yard. If you see any type of equipment i.e. skid steer, mini ex in a dump trailer, assume it isn't tied down at all.
Stopped and saw this young feller fueling up. Told me he was heading to upstate NY from CT. Was happy I was headed in the opposite direction. Single wheel Chevy. He told me truck has no problem and had plenty of “go juice”….. Unfortunately my picture taking skills blow. You can’t see that the bucket was barely on the back of the trailer and it was only tied down with a 1” ratchet strap….you can just catch the strap in the pic.
The CDL is a deal it looks like it would be the same state to state but its totally different . I know the new schooling deal is a pain but it seems like the right thing.
Doesn't look like the machine would be any worse for the wear if he does roll it over.
Just holds good people back, doesn't create a more educated driver population.
...."again"
There just isn’t any sense of accountability today. 30 years ago, wrecking a truck was a big deal and the story would follow you. Even before driver files and background checks. Today, meh. Who cares. I’ll go pull for a different outfit tomorrow. Or, ride the gravy train of unemployment benefits until it runs out. Just back up until you feel a bump. You’re good. Really have to consider risk management today. Maybe sending a $300k tank truck to a 40 gallon wet hose job, in the middle of the night, is a bad idea. Still not an excuse for a driver to wreck a truck. We have to assume that stuff is going to happen and think about the risk benefit of a 10 cent margin.
She had less than a month of service when that happened. I drained the tank, degassed and issued an all-clean certificate. Then, sent her on an epic, 3,500 mile road trip, back to Des Moines to have Seneca do the repair.
Be just like Brand New when Home again.
Coaldust---I've said it before on here & no one comments because it's true! * There are very few jobs where the owner hands the keys over to a $250,000 truck and a $110,000 trailer and says---See Yuh. With a perishable load valued at $100,000. * But The kicker is the owner pulled up in the latest Z1 Corvette, Now do you think the owner is going to toss that same driver with bad breath and mustard on his shirt from his last roller dog----the keys to his Vette---not on your life.-----Nut's I tell yah!
Roller dog . Two for $.99 at the new Circle K, this week.
All meat, eat those and go lay some pipe.
Most Consumers still believe the Private Fuel Industry makes a Killing on a Gal of Fuels. Try to explain and they do the Blink Blink no longer engaged look. Oil Companies do Not NET Billions off Fuels, they net profits off Oils, Lubricants, or Residuals as Asphalt, Propane/Butane and Vinyl Pellets once Considered Junk.
Yeah. Margins are tight and very competitive at the retail contract level. The Costco’s and Sam’s Club type contracts. Sometimes, it can be a loss, but somehow it works out, at a level, way above my pay grade. The margins are in aviation and value -added service such as wet-hosing, keep-fill, and call-outs.
What is wet hosing? I understand keep fill and call outs, but haven't heard the term wet hosing before. We have the fuel tanks at our farm set to a keep full program.
Wet-hosing is when we fill a fleet in the evening. Such as UPS, Amazon, Fed-Ex, airport GSA companies and such. So, they don’t have to pay their drivers to wait in a line to fill their rigs. “Wet-Hose” generally means keeping the hose charged and the register live, so there is only one ticket at the end. Instead of multiple tickets. It’s a newer trend. The tank builders are actually building specific configurations with four or five hose reels and meters, to dispense multiple flavors. But, we run into legal issues with Weights&Measures occasionally. Because, by “law” the fuel sale has to end after 360 seconds of register idle time. Not, enough time to maneuver around to the next rig. TMI, I know.
Definitely not TMI. I appreciate you sharing as I didn't know that was a thing, but I understand the time savings. I spent 20 minutes fueling our combine this morning. 175 ish gallons, the ol 20gpm, Fill-Rite pump doesn't quite meet spec when it has to raise the fuel another 6 or 7 ft above the tank. I could see where that becomes an expensive labor coat over a large enough fleet.
Yeah--that's a problem. It's become a popular thing in Pasco with a few small fleets. Problem comes in with larger fleets running several states and keeping track of miles and fuel bought when and where. Driver would have to be there to register it on E-log.
One distributor here does have a early morning keep full for a few farmers.
It’s a challenge for fuel companies because nobody wants to work the weird hours. Usually, younger guys with families. The old guys did their time and are driving line-haul. Not dragging hoses. The younger guys, mis-fuel and “we” end up buying new engines for customers. Three or four a year. Because they put the peanut butter in the chocolate and the chocolate in the peanut butter. Like a little kid at the Peosi fountain mixing as many flavors together as they can.
And, somebody runs out of fuel because they got missed and then we have to make a special trip to fill a 30 gallon tank on a forklift.
Funny you mention that---the other half of the company is in American Falls ID. They just had no less than 6 engines {Series 60 14L 550's} replaced. Because the yard {8,000 gal} tank was refiled with unlead. Distributor bought all 6.
That's a big 'oops'
Every few yrs, someone at my former employers would fill a van with gasoline instead of diesel. That is one of the costs of pool vehicles instead of assigning them to a specific worker. Same thing happened with trailers, 3 guys hooking up a trailer and no one closed the latch.
As he should. When will it end?
Spill a little fuel on the ground, that should take care of pump idle time
My son was 18 YOA. He went to Bromley ski area, said his father owned equipment, he operated it all. They hired him on the spot. He did very well a couple years of night shift grooming in a $300,000 snow cat. His instructions were to stay off the double black diamond trails. He knew better than the boss. Got fired. Next day he had the same job at Stratton ski area, next mountain.
Coaldust, when wet hosing do you (or your customers) have concerns with dirt, water, or other contaminants in the fuel? I had a supplier who would wet hose my equipment, but I stopped doing that when we started getting HPCR engines. All the diesel now runs through a Cim Tec hydrosorb filter from my slip tank or 1000 gallon mobile tank.
I haven’t experienced any contamination issues, locally with the Marathon or Petro racks. Over the last ten years. That’s a good point you bring up, because the dispenser at the convenience store likely has an 30 micron filter. So, technically, you are getting cleaner fuel at the gas station. On the other hand, some of these gas stations have nasty UST’s with serious water problems.
I see pumps with filters on them. I see the same pumps with the same filters 4 years later. Not sure the filters are doing much to keep water or any contamination out after that long.
I was of the belief that a dirty filter actually filters better? Hence the problems associated with lack of flow etc. Not suggesting don't change filters, just that if it's not restricting flow then it filtering finer than a new filter. Not water absorbing filters, just normal contaminates though. Happy to be corrected though.
Maybe Coaldust or someone else that deals with fuel and filters has some insight on filters left on for extended periods? I don't know if fuel filters have a bypass if they get plugged.
Are we talking about station dispensers, or filtration in general?
I was talking general filtration, again no specific knowledge, just something I picked up somewhere. Im not suggesting filters last forever, they obviously have a life span and the media will degrade over time, but up until degradation occurs (or flow suppression) i though it filtered better the dirtier it got. Happy to be told I'm wrong, won't be the first time, or the last.
Nearly all filter systems have a bypass mechanism when choke so do not starve a system and cook a pump. That noted choke a filter and leave it go seemingly forever is just a flow rate limiter at that point.
In my experience on equipment that runs every day fuel filters will get plugged up and cause the engine not to run after around 3-4 months. I have been on gas stations with filters and the pump barely go because the filter is plugged. I have also seen this on transfer tanks. Typically using Baldwin filters. And yes as a general rule filters filter better the dirtier they are but they need to be huge and designed that way to be able to have enough capacity to keep filter when dirty, for example pool sand filters are this way and you can pre dirty them with de powder for a finer filtration but they are also 200# of sand media.
Ok-- it's now another oil & filter thread, what flavor, weight & filter system do you use. You change early or late, you get every nickels worth out of it?-----nut's.
If a young, mechanically inclined, adventurous fella wanted to create a niche for themselves and stack some paper, bring home the chedda,……. fixing dispensers and point of sell systems is a good opportunity. Take it one step further and include metrology and register proving.
I can fix that, drag'er over.
Have to have tank certs to work on that.
I worked for truck tank manufacturer briefly. It wasn't a great place to work. I had to weld 3" nipple in the bottom from underneath the tank on my knee's. It had to be flush with inside of the tank. I couldn't even get help to hold in place so I could tack it. They would put all the walkway and grating on the tank before pressure testing the tank with air. If there were any leaks in the top seams you had to try and weld through the grating to fix them. Absolutely ridiculous. I worked at couple oilfield tank shops and vessel shops. It was never a problem getting someone to help fit something. Several years after I worked there I met another welder who's son worked at that tank shop. He said his son wasn't impressed either and didn't stay long.
Alaska doesn’t have a single National Board Pressure Vessel Inspector left in the state. The last dude retired. There are two R-stamp shops. Anchorage & Fairbanks. There are a couple of other R-stamp shops, but they don’t perform outside work.
Alberta is really strict and has some of the highest standards in the world for pressure vessels. The 820 tonne vessel, the length of a football field they moved from the fab shop to the site was pretty impressive.
Snow Mexico builds the best tanks. ALMAC is my fave.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=508890478574043 Not an overload, but certainly scary.
Actually upon reflection, cause our roads are so bad, I reckon it just could be a early prototype automatic pothole avoidance system.
Give me a few minutes, I can conjure that up too. Something along the lines of Ctrl P.
So do the R shops have to bring in an inspector? I think the local shop the inspector is supplied by insurance company.
A interesting build/repair/manufacture shop I visited was Beall in Portland. The process to repair is by the book. I took several there for repair.
It’s confusing. An R-stamp shop does not need a National Board Inspector. It depends what they are welding on. For example, cargo tanks are considered to be pressure vessels. Yeah, that’s nuts. Even though, a DOT 406 operates less than 1psi pressure. Anyways, an R-stamp shop is the only entity that can weld on a DOT406 shell. Then, a registered cargo tank inspector has to bless it. A national board inspector is unable to. Unless he is also a registered cargo tank inspector. An R-stamp welder can’t inspect his own repair, unless he is also a registered inspector. But, I’ve only ever met one r-stamp dude that was a combination registered inspector. Two different worlds. I realize none of this makes any sense.
Especially so, if confined space entry and hot work permits are involved. Brent Beall is still around and doing his own tank thing in Portland, now. Great guy. I’m headed to Athens TN in the near future for a tour of the Polar facility.
Up here, the state was doing the pressure vessel inspections. Every po-dunk shop with an air compressor. The insurance providers accepted the state inspection. It was a nominal fee. I started getting a bunch of calls looking for someone to inspect air tanks. Which, I don’t do. It’s a mess. Shops are forced to fly up National Board inspectors to appease their insurance company. Does the insurance co have their own national board guy? IDK? Funny how it’s going down.
Athens got hit by flooding....
I was wondering about that.
Portland-----Tank repair is heavily watched by the fire marshal. Unless it's a water vessel it better have documented clean out to be inside a shop there.
I think any shop doing letter code work has to have a certified inspector on staff and repairs and new construction procedures have to be strictly adhered too. I had a foreman once that worked for a shop that lost their U stamp. It pretty much put them out of business in a few years. I think a U stamp allows for vessels to be shipped out of the country they were built in. I'm not sure if a U stamp also encompasses an R stamp or shops can have both?
Lots of U stamp propane tanks come in from Mexico. Some of which look like you and I would make in our garage with pipe fittings from the hardware store welded into the shell. Makes you wonder.
In Alberta anything 7 PSI and above us concidered a pressure vessel and needs to welded on by certified pressure welders.
Maybe is it one of those new fangled steer by wire ones.
Three guys rolled into the grocery store with airstreams in tow. One 2500. one lincoln SUV, and this tow vehicle.
Nothing wrong with that, looks fine. Contractors across the nation pull equipment way past there GVWR all the time. * Midwest towns all have water towers.
Good gosh, that is a Tesla. I wonder how many miles it is good for, towing that camper, before it needs a recharge?
Well if you rent a spot at a campground with a 50 amp RV outlet, all the power you need to recharge is included in the camp spot rental.
Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you have a lot of brains... or common sense. I can see the news headline, Airstream trailer swallows Tesla. The owner should paint big teeth on the front of the Airstream like they did on planes.
They should be able to get their 5¢ can deposit back if they turn in the camper after it gets wrecked.
I looked online, and there's more people than you think, pulling airstreams with a tesla. The one I read who showed his numbers, was getting 60-90 miles from a charge. Then sitting for 20-60 minutes to charge. And he never ran over 60 mph on the interstate from somewhere in nebraska to west of denver. Usually around 55. Speed limit out there is 70-75, and I wouldn't want to be that traffic hazard.
The waiting on a charge would be the death of me im way too wired to wait that long i hate wair for the pump to fill the tank. (Wrote as im fillling up for the day)
Using everyone else's normal view, there is no regulations/laws against it/too many regs & laws people say----so why care. Years ago {like early 60's} there was this couple that lived about a 1/2 mile down the road from our place, they had a girl 3 years old I guess. The dad would set the daughter on the hood of his 60's Pontiac and drive slow down the country road, no one gave a crap about that even the sheriff that lived on the road passed him once. So what is the big deal about a EV car towing a camp trailer, nothing, there are probably at least five rolling right now somewhere.
My niece was arrested AND JAILED for riding her daughter around on the mower.!!! (NY State)
My dad probably would be serving life for me ridimg with him on a track loader!
The absurdities are normal been going on for 12,000 years, it gives the average guy--running for president {in his mind} something to campaign on with the cogs spinning between his ears making him deaf.
I was so close to reporting my former neighbor for that. The kid was about 2 maybe 3 and the mom was bombing around on a new zero turn mower holding the kid with 1 arm. The grass didn't really need cutting and she was going flat out. I'd guess around 10 MPH. Scary as hell to watch!
A local teenage girl lost a leg like that. She was riding with her boyfriend while he cut the grass. She fell of and he ran over her leg with the mower.
Went to work at ihop then I know im terrible i couldnt help myself
111
More of those types of injuries happen than makes news.
Lawn mower accidents and skid loader accidents people treat them like toys. Im convenced if skid loaders where invented today they couldnt produce them due to saftey concerns.
I read a few years ago lawn mower accidents are one of the most common serious injuries among children. I'm probably more focused on lawn mower safety since my sold commercial turf equipment for 40+ years. Some people were surprised that in all that time he had never had an injury related to a mower. He'd heard of several injuries in that time though, some serious. One person tried to sue a golf course when they rolled a greens mower into a pond. They weren't successful though. I think it came down to the operator going too fast for the conditions. There was dew on a hill which made it slippery but the operator was going full tilt and missed the bridge for golf cars and maintenance equipment. Scariest thing I was around when I worked at a golf course was a girl stuck her foot in the discharge of the deck of a Yazoo mower because she was curious how far the blade came out. The blades were spinning when she did it. Luckily she didn't get injured other than her shoe got cut but the superintendent was very concerned and came out right away and had a serious safety meeting with all the grounds crew. At another golf course the guy cutting tee's used to reach down in front of the spinning reels to pick up the tee markers instead of getting off the mower and removing the tee markers first. All it would take is a little slip or slight distraction and you'd be out some fingers.
Teach kids to respect all types of equipment and vehicles etc. and after that its Darwinism
If you take kids for rides go really slow but never on a mower with the blades engaged. Several years ago a kid was killed when he fell out of a cabbed JD tractor. Tractor was on the road and the door latch got bumped open and the kid was ran over. Very tragic and hard to read about.
I worked with a guy who was standing on the TILLER being pulled by a tractor.. I think it was for more weight.. Anyway, he slipped and was sucked in and spit out after going thru the times.!! He lived.. but almost died..
I knew a guy--key word knew, auger on baler plugged he tried to unplug it while running- he went through the plunger and compressor. fact.
Day before his sixth birthday my son ran over himself with an 8000 LB tractor. Mrs. B. had been last to drive it. She hates driving it, but did that day. She left it switch on, in gear. It has a separate starter lever. I asked her to start it & raise the loader. She was climbing on the left side, He stood in front of the left rear tire. "I can do it mom!" He reached up grabbed the start lever. It started instantly. As he turned to run from it the tire knocked him down, went between his legs, up the center of his back. His head went inboard of the tire. He had a road rash left cheek & I believe a lug of the ag tread tore a clump of hair out the size of a silver dollar. He survived with only bruises.
Lucky--son.
A fellow well call popsicle. He grew up on a farm in the west by god virgina panhandle. Hillbilly got telling us his pa told him not to unplug the hay baler with it runnin. But he found it easy to he saids ima there unplugin the baler and next thing i know im naked the baler down torned my overals off i had to walk home naked! I wish i didnt know why they called him popsicle!
Quite a few quad and more and more these days buggy fatalities over here. Teenagers a lot of the time.
The amount of stupid I did on diry bikes/quads its a wonder I never got more then a brused up. Theres been a few deaths over the years here
Well the the young ones came by it honestly, boomers wrote the book on crazy ****.
One of my cousins was a fitter/welder/crane operator in the oil patch. Camping with his buds and lots of beer involved…. Screwing around on a quad and was bucked off. Head injury. He will never work again.
Sorry to hear that Cam.
Anytime I took any of mygranddaughters for a lawnmower ride it was at idle and no pto running. Low and slow around the yard and back to mom......the 2 oldest were happy with 1 lap, #3....nope. It was a 20 minute ride, mom would hold her arms out and #3 would get a pizzed off look and hold on tighter...lol Ed
As far as side by sides and dune buggies go, former MX champion and all around nice guy Marty Smith and his wife were both killed when the 4 person dune buggy they were in rolled. His best friend and his wife survived. I think Marty was driving but none of the details were realeased as far as I know. Pretty sad to read. Years ago the owner of a Honda dealership responded to an article in a local paper about a person who was seriously hurt in a trike accident. Off course the article was biased that the trike was so dangerous. His response started off with, It was bound to happen... a 3 wheeler jumped out and attacked the driver... It ended with perhaps the driver wasn't properly trained in the operation of the trike and was trying to climb a hill beyond his abilities. A lot of dirt bike and quad accidents are from someone trying to show off or riding over their head. Accidents happen but sometimes they're very predictable. I've had a couple riders out to my MX track that had to have the fastest bike and even put big bore kits on them for even more power. Then they got hurt surprise surprise. Even the top professionals admit they can't use all the power a 450 puts out. A lot of the people on 450's would probably have a lot more fun and actually go faster in a 250.
I'm glad my tractor has a neutral start switch but have read of people disconnecting them or bypassing them if they quit working. There was a close call at golf course on tractor with the neutral switch bypassed. It was in the shop and someone reached over and turned the key not realizing it was in gear. Thankfully the stop lever was close to them and they got it pulled before the tractor ran into the wall or ran over someone.
This is 1961 model year, built before all the safety precautions. Key only interrupts power to the starter solenoid coil. Mechanical starter drive gear, when it gets to the limit & the flywheel gear is fully angaged an end switch sends power to the magnet. He had seen me do it & felt he was fully qualified. Might have got away with it if it was key off, or out of gear, or brake locked, or all three. My fault, the Mrs. does NOT like to drive it, she is not skilled in old tractors. We had a small scale maple operation at the time, it was a big help having someone to drive the tractor while I handled the buckets of sap.
It must have been right before they had neutral safety switches. ** tractors had neutral switches starting in the 50's I believe.
This a B275 was advanced for the time. US built International Harvestor tractors in 1961 were still using IH proprietary fast hitch. It was a great hitch, but implements were limited to IH dealers. B275 was built in England, it had three point hitch, two stage clutch to separate PTO from wheels. 540 PTO made it compatible with implements made by other than IH. First tractor sold in USA with low center of gravity. I know of no tractor earlier I would classify as utility, (low slung).
MF35 turf was low center of gravity but not sure what year they first appeared. Early 60's for sure, maybe late 50's. Ford had LCG tractors too but may have came later in the 60's.
I stand corrected. Ford had a number of low tractors. Friends have been dairy farmers several generations. In 1959 they tried out an International B275, it would have been their first diesel. The dealer was in town, so it was the logical choice. They decided the front was hard to keep on the ground. They ended up with a Fordson Dexta, a very much smaller tractor with half the horsepower, much less weight. In southern Vermont valleys are very narrow. The appeal of tractors built for side hill work is great. It seems the early offerings were much smaller machines.
We have a early 50s TO30 Ferguson it has a neutral safety on the high low shifter . That probably saved are bacon several times . We also have a Ford 660 that has to be in neutral to start . It has a very odd shifter I don't know if I like that shifter or not .
I think Ferguson were early with the neutral safety switch on the high low shifter. On my MF135 it's marked H S L on the trans. cover. S is for start.
Yeah 1960 MF35 has the neutral safety switch. 2022 MF4707 also has to be in neutral to start, but they've also added that the clutch pedal must be depressed. Surely it would have made more sense to tie into the handbrake on sensor? I have a fence post driver mounted on the 3PL and driven by the hydraulic remotes, so sometimes a quick start while off the tractor would be nice. Willies story is terrifying, but surely with two safety interlocks (neutral and handbrake) it would be safe to start from the ground?
I have a 1985 IH 385, quite similar in size, power, & weight to the B275 but newer. It has only clutch interlock. If you have strength enough to depress the clutch with one hand you can start while not in the seat. It is a very dangerous thing to do.
That looks like an extra low traffic sign. Did the driver stop before the crunching sound?
There's a few things going on in that photo.
I don't care for the tie downs. FWD
3 straps (2" ? Can't tell), loose chain and binder, doors tied open and too tall
Unbalanced weight distribution too
Straps for a rubber tire machine that size….lot of movement/bounce with wheeled machines. Straps over ‘tin work’ fore & aft movement definitely not considered…yikes!
Looks like the pretty typical sort of job you see on the I-10 in Phoenix.
I wonder how they loaded it? It looks like something you'd see in a developing country except it isn't.
For Sale : New 8' wide flat bed. Been sitting in the grass for a couple of years. It has 3 stake pockets down each side and 4 on the back. One D ring on each side. I am not sure why but it has concrete poured in between the cross members underneath. I assume for extra weight so the truck will ride better. I am sure it could be removed if you don't need it. It is 8 foot wide and 7 foot 1.5 inch long.
Snow plow bed , concrete/weight for extra gription, stake pockets and D-rings to tie down saltin' machine/hopper. Just guessin'
Gription.
Local antique tractor pull is tomorrow. A great variety of iron will compete. Unlike more serious events, ours has no scale. No prizes for weight classes, only bragging rights. The valuable tractors are all owned by men with health problems. Oldest is pushing 90, youngest is my age:68. We all kid around about which is best, funny, the field narrows with similar tractors. Farmall Cubs dominate with 2000 LB loads. Farmall C, & all the Ford tractors are similar. A Farmall H demonstrates incredible pull, nobody believes it is stock. It's 80 something year old owner swears it is factory stock. When we get down to the heaviest tractors, in rolls Don with a Case 500, Dan with pick of the day pre 1960 HEAVY iron, Buckley rolls in with the heaviest Oliver ever seen. Daniel, one of my extra sons has an International 560. It puts out extra horsepower by cranking up the fuel supply. It is weighted a lot, & it has very expensive radial tires. Sometimes Daniel out pulls those spending $100,000. more. Great tractor design, highly skilled driver.
I used to build skids for large generators and compressors used for gas and oil production. Some had rebar welded between the beams and then were filled with concrete to reduce vibration. Flat bar was welded under all the engines to act as a drip trays in case any oil leaked or got spilt.
My brother and I hauled lots of iron with this lowboy years ago but nothing outrageous. Track loaders, dozers, broke down trucks, tractors and the like . Now I put my kid on it and next thing I know he's moving a D11.
^I did the same my dad give me a shiny new truck and trailer I'd overloaded it & can't back it up
That old iron will out last and out work anything. Time for some rattle cans
Didn't quite get the timing right on this picture so you can't see the whole trailer. If it was loaded I'm sure it would be too much weight for the van.
Depends on the Van. Some are a 1 ton chassis.
That one is 8 lug
Might be OK. Dump trailers can have high sides but that doesn't mean you can load them that high. They have relatively low weight capacity compared to their size. That's why I bought an older tandem dump truck. I can carry over 10 tons without worry.
Oh yes you can load them that high; a friend let his son borrow the trailer and it got loaded against the loader operqtor's suggestion with 5/8 minus until it was running over the side. He tweaked both axles and had to unload it by hand since the hydraulics couldn't lift the box. There is no limit on the dumb quotient. It grows exponentially depending on ownership of equipment.
Not without asking for trouble. LoL
8 lug duallie. Might have over 20,000 tow rating. Probably an 8 yard box. Hay, leaves, firewood, construction debris it wouldn't be an overload. My old dump truck will carry 10 yards, but gravel only 5-6 yards, 14,000 LBS is nameplate legal.
By the Body lines and wheels type SRW, Heavy 3/4. BTW, could NOT get a photo as was on Interstate, IN Rush hour Traffic, Guy had a similar trailer had a Wheeled Skid steer In The Box, NOT a Single tie down so it moved Fr to Rr and side to side with all the bounces and curves. Could not get around him in RUSH HOUR Traffic outside of Foristell MO. Tail Gate was starting to deform as I got off the Slab, he continued on.
Cheapskates around here think are Saving a TON of Money, haul Small Utility trailers to Quarry or Sand Plant. First off NO Side Boards, most have MASSIVE gaps in floor boards so Staple Plastic for the Load Up. They do not understand do NOT have to scale as the Big trucks do as is a Minimum for ANY load, Bucket corner or Full is charged by the Ton and at minimum Two Ton even as only get a few hundreds of pounds. Loader at Sand plant has a scale readout, One fella comes in every two to three weeks asks for and gets a "FULL Trailer Load", 8-850# worth, gets charged Two Ton regardless and truly believes is Saving Money not having a full load hauled to his shop. Does Blasting on Concrete Mixing equipment, Has Yard Space for Stockpile. Noted has destroyed several USED Bought Utility Single Axle Trailers over the years to boot.
There is no depending--their all stupid.
At our quarry there is no minimum charge, everyone scales in and out, pay for what you get so you see all sorts of stuff . Lots of people come and fill 5 gal buckets with gravel by hand, then put them in the truck of their car. Also sometimes see people come in with their loader tractor, get a scoop, drive down the road to wherever, dump it, and come back for more. I'm sure the scale house operator just loves that sort of stuff.....
We have a boxcar on our farm it basically hasn't been gone through since the early 70s when we first moved . Me my brother and his wife went down there and opened it up. It needs a good clean out someday . I will probably save are old dump truck it could use a good paint job.
I traveled to Pasco this afternoon to get a last part for a engine I'm rebuilding. On my way back I ran upon this seconds after it happened, very grizzly head-on at 9 mile grade on hyw 12 just east of Wallula Junction. Allot of real bad wrecks at this very spot. I and probably 12 others called it in. *
Last several working days on some sketchy old ridge runner roads, met several cars hauling it and cutting corners so deep had a tough time correcting to get around me coming from opposite direction. Seconds to tenths of seconds from being one of these.
It's taken 40 years to make this 4 lane, this is the last unfinished section & the deadliest.
Makes perfect sense when politicians are the ones making the decisions on roads and repairs. Let's fix the easiest or less costly sections to make it look like we're doing something instead of focusing on where the most accidents or potential accidents happen. It's the same thing here with train crossings that bring traffic to a standstill in rush hour. They know it's a huge problem but by the time they actually decide to build an overpass to solve the problem, the cost has more than quadroupled. In the mean time they've wasted more money on stupid crap that wasn't needed and voted themselves a raise because they think they've done such a wonderful job to deserve it.
The real issue is the people behind the wheel.
For sure but some roads are just so poorly designed it makes them dangerous. We have a freeway here where a lane from an on ramp just ends. It's cut off from lanes on either side. I'm surprised there aren't a lot of accidents there because everybody is in a hurry and most people don't know how to merge.
Not doubting Dave--but again that leads back to poor driving skills and habits. A very high percentage of drivers couldn't pass a impromptu driving test.
Here there can be 2 people on the road and one won't let the other merge. There's no way I can let that car be ahead of me. Idiots speeding up to slow down and they're 1 car ahead at the next light. Interestingly I've heard that large cities where the roads are much busier drivers are very courteous. My dad went to Chicago and said they have tow trucks along the freeways ready to tow dead cars and get accidents cleared up ASAP. If someone wants to change lanes, drivers let them in with no fuss.
St Louis does not figure there, where been to Chicago, they are not very considerate anymore as to drivers. The world changed somewhere around 1950/60 as everyone had to be somewhere NOW, considerations of others left the room. Some blame Eisenhower, for interstates highways, myself I blame human nature as it has gotten out of hand as to the self importance and instantaneous gratification levels seen today.
We have a particular intersection where Route 7 & 103 meet. Northbound 103 traffic has a yield sign, not strictly a merge lane. 7 is four lane, north of a traffic light. Traffic is often crowded, 55 MPH speed limit, typically drivers are driving 60-65 MPH. All day every day there are near misses as merging drivers seem to play chicken with those already on Route 7. Now & again there are wrecks. No reason they can't wait & enter liesurely when no traffic, or when the Northbound light is red. Still they mostly blast out into traffic like they own the road.
I don't do it anymore so it may have changed, but one thing I'll say about Southern California drivers when was trucking in and out every week is that they are crazy but they're good at it, and if you need 70' to merge they'll give you at least 75'! Salt Lake City on the other hand is a mix of Californians and people who aren't afraid to die!
The Buffalo NY police dept shut down their traffic division. Drivers can now do whatever they want. Unbelievable the moves I've seen. Crazy!
Really things were fine right up the moment the brick cell phone was introduced. Folks will argue that phones are not a hindrance to driving, if that were the case DOT would allow the use along with hands free. Following a car or any vehicle for that matter that's been traveling straight staying centered in their lane for miles, then suddenly that same vehicle is gliding back and forth between lines---------- they're on the phone. Business is conducted second by second on the cell, and those who do are defiant that they are not a nuisance and a consummate driver------ but the one gadget that came along a little later says otherwise, the dash cam.
Around here, a lot of people text while driving. They are all over the road. It would be safer if they just talked on their phones but it seems like people would rather text than talk.
Texting they can hide their tone of voice, see it's really just another way to be deceptive.
Or they would rather use emojis than actually talk
People driving too slow and even worse not getting up to the proper speed when merging is a big problem too. Then there's people that speed up just so you can't merge in front of them. The worst is clueless drivers who see the right lane is clear and change lanes into it not realizing other drivers were making room for people to merge into that lane. I've had a few real close calls where I'm about to come off the merge lane and some idiot not paying attention is changing lanes from the middle lane right where the merge lane is ending. Thank God there was a wide shoulder to go in.
When i drive a 20 year old pickup with rust and dents traffic usually parts for me like Moses and the Red Sea.
Was that way before reman on the 99 SD
People are so mindless when driving, they don't look at or care what anyone else driving or doing for that matter. If asked most can't remember the last 3 miles, let alone a rusty pickup----they just want you out of the way, your holding up their life.
They created the rumble strip to help texting. Rumble left, correct a bit right. Rumble right, correct a bit left. No need to look up from your text. In an earlier day people held their phone at 12 O clock, top of the steering wheel. Now they are in stealth mode, in the lap, or very stealthy texters hold it to their right in the console. My observation is 10% of men I meet are texting, 30% of young women are texting. WHO IN HELL WANTS TO CORRESPOND WITH YOU THAT BADLY?????????????!!!
As a teenager I was obsessed with owning every antique vehicle I could own. The owner of the local farm store took advantage of me for cheap (free) labor. I reciprocated by borrowing his tilt deck truck sometimes to tote home my purchases. At a glance, every driver knew this wreck couldn't steer well, or stop if there wasn't a hill ahead. I loved the effect the air horn had on entitled drivers!
More like 30%----he's sporting a boner chasing the other 30%.
The highway i have to use I don't know if it has a speed limit or not? It was 60 mph but I am the only one that goes that slow. I can't remember the last Highway patrol I saw and don't want to see a lot of them but its a deal.
Might be 55 if it's unposted
I don't believe the public really gives a **** if there is a posted limit or not. Average speeds in my town for a street posted 30---is 40 to 45. School zone about 28. Interstate 78 to 80. * about 75 to 80% of the public are constantly way over the limit, those same people will tell you what law abiding god fearing citizen they are as they talk out the side of their mouth. * Off ramp with a stop at the arterial entrance, if it's a right turn there is no stopping--nope those are free right turns. That stop sign doesn't say stop---no no it says free right turn.
One of our officers pulled a school bus over.....45 in a 25 with kids on it. She got a ticket. Ed
We had a u-toob video of someone following a school bus on flatt rd doing 75 mph in a 45. township ducked the issue claiming that no students were on board......
Like to see that when they first spin the drum to discharge a full load...wheelies anyone ? Is that a 3 yd or 5 yd ?
Many are 1 yard with 2 yard also being available.
Yes, and those would have been a better match for that truck eh ? Again, how many yards is that mixer body ?
That is really funny
Tag on truck looks like 550 but don't 550s have 10 lugs?
Their ad, with this accompanying picture, said "up to 2.5 yards per delivery".
I ain't doing the math, from a picture, for volume of a double tapered circular tank.
A yard of concrete is around 4K lbs? Hmmmmmm
Local concrete outfit tried one of those---they sold it & kept running their smaller 4 yard business class 7 single axles.
'05 and newer have 10 lugs I believe. The older ones are 8 lug.
That's a 99-03
Don't know what it was but too tall it was. 48K views · 2.8K reactions | Follow @faildrive | FAILDRIVE Follow @faildrive. www.facebook.com
The person in the white car acted perfectly--counter intuitive--didn't mash the brakes only. Instead they steered through it, a very high percentage of drivers first reaction would be brake only.
The person in the white car was probably paying attention to what was around them so they knew the lane beside them was open. I knew a truck driver who said he had triple vision when driving and kept a view on lanes beside him and in front of him at all times. Some people in cars are aware but sadly it's a small minority.
Years ago--allot of years ago, I was 14 working in a truck fleet shop after school three days a week washing parts, sweeping floors what ever for a buck sixty an hour. Anywho-there was this driver Hank--he was a character, when looking at him one eye or the other depending which way he glanced was staring all the way to left or one was looking at you with the other staring to the right. It was said he could look straight ahead with one eye and at a mirror with the other. He was lead driver and tested new hires, he drove a hotrod 72 low cab long hood Pete with a 1693 and 6X4. Retired with 5 plus million and never a incident.
Dick Landon is getting old. He is virtually deaf, doesn't see very well. He drove truck for Seward Creamery decades. I went out with his oldest daughter a while in my teens. Dick is approaching 90 now, once said he piloted a new Mack for Seward, when Seward closed up, he bought the truck. He drove the same truck over 5,000,000 miles. I'm not sure the year of manufacture of the truck, I'll guess 1974.
Work sent everyone who drove a company vehicle to ” hazard awareness training“ taught by a driving school whose owner was a racecar driver. I had to drive towards an instructor at above 30 mph and at the last minutes swerve right, left or stop depending upon the signal from the instructor. The first time through the instruction way to close for me. That guy had balls of steel. The last time through, it seemed like I had lots of time even though I was driving faster and he waited until I was closer to him.
Top kick pulling a triple axle trailer gooseneck with a skid steer and a demo car, probably doesn't show in the pic but from the tires to the hitch the trailer was bowed down.
Flimsy trailer? Looks beat, car doesn't weigh much to bow it like that. Joe H
Can see the bow.
Doesn't look like an overload but no telling what he did to it in the past.
Likely carried something much heavier in the past. It's also possible the trailer was poorly designed/engineered.
This was back in 2021. Moved two 42' and four 22' grain bins for a guy. It was a 1/2 mile move across a field. Set the 42' bins on a 30' goose neck being pulled by a 1 ton single wheel, it was welded to the trailer with a fairly extensive frame work we built inside it. The 22' ones I picked up ratch strapped it to the back of the crane and drove it to the new location. Sure there are fancier ways to do it, you could of took the entire bin apart and put it back together etc etc, but labor costs. Lots of planning, measuring, and double checking and everything went perfect. And personally I feel like if it fits it ships, but I've been a "stupid" farmer my whole life. Got the job done and moved on to the next one.
What’s with all the demolition cars? Just came w/b I-90 South Dakota back to WA. Tons of hotshot-type rigs e/b with trashed demo cars.
There are several large demo derby's--one just in Utah. Friend always goes, he won $2,500 IIRC. The one here in town he won 6K. And it's all about certain cars---the best is Chrysler Newport's & Yorker's from the 60's--those will take a massive front hit.
Always pull out your radiator, then hope your car will run until it is disabled, or you win. Hopefully, your car will not overheat before you are finished. We always used early to mid 50's Olds or Buicks. Those things were build like a tank.
They run radiators & normally small block chevy's with TH 400's, because the front mounts are used. Engines with motor mounts on the side can't be cradled, a hit from the side can bust the side of engine blocks. That's what I've been told anyway. Purse in Utah is around $25K I think.
As I recall, if we happened to win, we got maybe $100.00.
Triple singles trailers are cheap trailers in my opinion. Yeah the demo car doesn't weigh much
Cheaper than a tandem dually and scuff the tires worse.
A lot of places at one time stopped letting those cars compete but things have changed . Some of my buddies were into demos a few years ago . Its amazing all the work they put into there cars.
Still built like a 14k trailer too
Bill Stuck photo. *
Let me show you this ridiculous trailer that just rolled into town. Straight from the Tremec factory in Canakastan. I’m baffled about how this got ordered, built and delivered and nobody asked any questions about axle configuration. Not my zoo, or my monkeys, but I offer to review specs or even perform pre-delivery inspections before stuff gets shipped all the way up here. So this doesn’t happen. So, now. Many axles get repositioned. I think it should be shipped back to the factory, but not my zoo.
I don't think it's a Canadian thing. Just an overly enthusiastic engineer that maybe didn't consult with Transport Canada or the proper authorities that govern trailers. How it passed any standards is a mystery. Maybe it penciled out on paper?? Yeah it's a big trailer but B-trains (I think they're B-trains) are very common in Alberta. The Petro-Canada refinery is close and I drive by it often. There is always a line up of B-trains getting filled up or waiting to get filled up 24/7. Never see extra long single trailers. That contraption just looks wrong. I'd imagine it would go through tires pretty quick from scuffing on tighter turns.
Thanks for the response. I’m curious if there is any legitimate reasoning for this configuration, I’m overlooking. I might call Tremec and just ask them.
It sure looks like a lot of weight for a single truck but maybe that's not an issue? I think it would be if there were any hills.
Here is the normal configuration for a 10.5k or 11k gallon tanker.
I’m not sure why the West-Coast style, Canadian B/Super B never became popular with the fuel hauler crowd up here. Crowley has a couple, but that’s about it. I love seeing those Canadian Super B tankers, from Whitehorse, pulling out of Haines.
So, I had to stare at this a while, and I'm going to put out trailer axle numbers, as 1 in the front, and working toward the rear in numbering, just so I understand what's going on. Are 1,2 and 6 now steerable? and the three grouped together (3,4,5) fixed? And they want to move #1 ahead swapping with the box, put the fixed axles all at the rear, and move # 6 to right behind the current #2, just ahead of the fixed tri axles at the rear? In the current configuration, it would turn a lot shorter. Are they trying to play around with some strange new bridge formula, by having 3 gaps? Essentially making it a 1-2-1-4-1 axle groups?
6 is a non-steer lift. 1 and 2 are steer lifts. Yes, 3,4,5 will be fixed at the rear. Yes. I just recalled, ironically, the last dozen fuel trailers that Carlile ordered had forward lift axles in the wrong place. That was a small fortune to remedy. Never got put into service, the inspections expired. After all that, the entire DOT406 fleet was sold to a competitor.
It’s going to be an interesting winter. There isn’t enough equipment in service, to fuel the oil patch, plus all the construction that’s happening. I’m not sure what the plan is. Especially, considering the normal wrecks, spills and rollovers. Probably more so, with the freshly recruited out-of-state tanker yankers.
Which, reminds me of a funny short story that happened recently. Marathon announced they were going to start hauling their fuel to their 70 or so branded stations. They told their trucking contractors that their services would not be needed and plan accordingly. Marathon brought up 6 new Kenworth truck/pup combos, hired local drivers and started working. They staged at the Port of ANC Marathon terminal They claimed they would bring up more units as soon as they were built. It was nice stuff. It was a failure and didn’t last long. They pulled out and sold the combos to a local outfit. They tried to model AK after their successful California trucking op and failed miserably.
What was the reason the operation failed?
I can't help myself. Have you seen the roads up north? While a SuperB might take some getting used to, an A-train would be a nightmare on those roads.
They should have bought a couple units and seen how things went. The money they lost would be a deal.
The systemic failure of successful lower 48 business models, when practiced in Alaska, is hard to explain. But, is very common. I think the organizations fail to adapt to the environment and are unwilling to make adjustments on the fly. I’ve seen that happen many times with heavy equipment dealership branches up here. They are unable to react fast enough or recognize market forces, while being micromanaged by a corporate office in Seattle or Sacramento. Retail chain stores, corporate and franchise, have the same challenges. The franchise with local ownership can be an exception. Like the local Bass Pro Shop filling their shelves with turkey calls, doe scent, and tropical weight Mossy oak camo this time of year. And everything I need for bass fishing the dirty-dirty. I just had a similar conversation with my coffee round-table, brain trust, group of business associates.
Seven kids in the back and parents up front included in this entourage
The chunks of firewood for wheel chocks is a nice touch!
Nope. Not going to fix it. Going to start line hauling with a 11.5k trailer that can only haul 8.5k.
Well its not overloaded now. Big crane rolled off the trailer and down a embankment. Crane falls off trailer, rolls down embankment west of Camp Mather An unoccupied 160-ton all-terrain crane fell off a trailer Wednesday morning while being transported from Camp Mather and rolled roughly 80 to 100 feet down an embankment toward the Tuolumne www.uniondemocrat.com According to a different report, they haven't gotten to the crane yet.
Hard to understand how this can happen. And with a self steering back end. ***.
Maybe the back end zagged when it should have zigged??
Maybe if the arm that steers the axle 8/9 group broke but that’s a stretch. IMO.
Policy Man ain't gonna be happy about that!
Problem was it didn't have Dayton wheels with 10.22's and a LN9000 Ford with a L10 pulling it.
Solid tires on that trailer. Joe H
I can't imagine having to make that call. Even worse would be calling the boss , as the driver that lost it. Didn't see a lot of broken chains and binders on the trailer deck . But I sure would have rather let it go, than be drug along with it, down that mountain.
That trailer and it's tires are handling that overload surprisingly well.
Standard call--each day everyday across the country. Open the book of lies, they go to a page they haven't used for awhile and start the phone call of excuses. It was/is a daily occurrence where I worked.
I reckon i might be up with a chance of best in show with this one. I'll even do the metric conversions, cause it's pretty impressive re stupid. Truck has a tare weight of somewhere around 4500kg-9900lb. GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) of 14000kg-30865lb. Weighed as pictured by our transport police at over 27900kg-61509lb. Bent chassis and just about everything else. Link to story Police intercept overloaded truck Police pulled over an overloaded rental truck on the freeway at Mount Barker this weekend. www.police.sa.gov.au
I was just about to ask WTH then clicked on the link and read "rental truck" and all the pieces fell together.
When I first saw the picture I thought it was just distortion from a wide angle camera lens...
Note--what is keeping it from bending in the middle is the frame for curtain, it transferred the stress to area of frame behind cab, curtain frame is light but stronger than it looks.
That's why I always use a credit card on a rental, the insurance is included when you use a card. Joe H
I can't imagine owning a rental business. I have a number of horror stories of rented equipment being damaged by renters. Some by pure stupidity, others clearly abuse. My favorite is a demolition contractor rented a skid steer loader. Soon after, the rental center gets a call: "....We need another loader. This one has four flat tires." They had lifted it with a crane. The cable had been condemned, And it broke. Even my own son borrowed my dump truck. Single axle, 28,000 GVWR. It has a 14' long body, 34" tall sideboards. It'll fit 10 cubic yards struck level, more mounded above the sideboards. I carry 5 yards of sand, that is legal weight. I saw a load he was hauling, gave him hell. He said the scale operator wasn't there until last load. He weighed it, 5 tons over legal weight. They made him dump it & get loaded again. I thought he was intelligent, I was wrong.
My brother put it correctly. His daughter was having friends over and asked if she could use the 1%er Master Craft wake board ski boat. Bob yeah as long as your the only one piloting it. Well if I do that then that means I can't wake board or ski, so & so's boy friend is coming along and he drives his dads boat! Morgan your not listening only you drive the boat! But dad he's been driving his dads boat and he's 18.----Morgan how many times have I told you? Males don't develop any brains till there at least 50 years old--it's all because of those things called------- testicles Morgan.
With all the new immigrants that have come here from certain parts of the world in the past few years, I am sure some would have gone to the school of Pakastani Truck Rebuilders and will have all the right skills to fix that back up.
My son is a 30 year old adult with a college degree, a CDL, homeowner with a lovely wife & a child. He often outthinks me. This week he didn't think........or decided it's Dad's truck, why not abuse it?
You guys really need a new hobby. That trailer could have 8,000 lb axles. Those two machines add up to about 17,000 pounds.
Zoom in on the hub sure look like 7000 pounders. And its hooked to a 2500 thats probably only rated to tow 10 or 12000. Kinda the point of the tread to post such things for enertainment sakes
Every father looks at their kids as prodigy's, It's always {I never raised a son like that}------ well someone did because there are allot of them running around.
Trailer only weighs 1000# too!
Yeah, I was disappointed that day. Damage the truck, nobody gets to use it.
Yep - No way I would want that contraption behind my SRW 350.
I've had 21k behind my f250 before, but I have the driver mod, trucks always don't come modded like that
Don't know exactly how much I had behind my '13 350 SRW on our 14K gooseneck but I'd wager at least 20K. Friend of mine was working on a new Field and Stream. There was a large amount of structural steel left over that was stacked in the parking lot and the seal coat was about to go down. Super told him he could have it - just come get it. All of it had to go. He didn't have a way to haul it so called me. There were several tons of angle iron 16-18' long, 4" pipe columns, channel and some weird shapes all new. Loaded it all up and headed to the shop about 15 miles away. All I can say is we eased down the HWY around 35-40 with that truck and trailer creaking and moaning the entire time. Won't do that again.
Don't be so smart lol. You won't do it again until the next opportunity like that. It's all risk vs. reward. Bottom line.
How much of it is still out in your yard ? Joe H
Most of it. We've used some angle for various projects and some of the weird flat plate shapes for dump truck tailgate hinge.
Now I'd take the L9000 and 55K tag trailer. Didn't have the bigger Ford option then.
I did same with a "light f-250" the one without a full floater rear axle and a massive 300-6 Couldn't do over 30 mph if I tried.
That 300-6 was a great engine, great torque and all - as long as it was only moving the truck. Put anything more than a little utility trailer back there and it would just land on its face . . .
I think the ability of the 300-6 depends on the gearing. I have one in a snowcat that is something like 5.29 final drive and it's pretty unstoppable. It should be a powerful engine at low RPM since it's "square"
So was the 400-8 I loved back in the day. I never had a 300-6....
The 300-6 was solid. My father had many a F250 work van with 300 - 6's. Extremely reliable in that application.
300 Ford inline--best years were very late 60's. rated roughly at 170 hp and 285 torque. The early and later engines were just over a 100 horse and 235 torque. But the old idea of a square bore/stroke kind of went out the window in later years. The Chevy small block 400 was 4x4 with siamese bores never really was much of a runner, 4 1/8 x 3 3/4. Made into a 383 it runs. Chryslers 400 was the big bore short stroke 4.342 bore with 3.375 stroke. Fitted with a stroke of a 440 it makes it a 451 stroker. I have seen a 300 Ford with a blower attached.
I think I rolled over the scales at 24,900....pulling a 12k gooseneck....
My mother's cousin worked for UPS as a mechanic in the day the 300 was common. He told of hundreds of delivery vans with the ford 300 inline 6 & they had hundreds of same size vans with Ford 460 V8s. He claimed 200,000 miles trouble free with the 300 & a long series of problems with the 460 by the 200,000 mile mark. My experience was a 1977 E150 van. Yes it was reliable. Had a valve knock from new to 98,000 miles. With three speed transmission you had to push well down on the accellerator, & slip the clutch a lot to make it move at all. 0 to sixty took about four miles on a level road & 10 minutes.
These vans were late 80's thru the 90's.
I got a bucket truck from Texas back in 2020, weighed it when I got home, 28800 total. In the past moth I've taken around 20k behind me for a couple hours, I do about 65 and try to keep the boost under 25 in the hills, I'm not worried about the engine but I'm worried about the old CAC system, I've blown a cac and a clamp already.
I saw a test of a turbocharged 300 . It put out 522 HP. Ford 300 Turbo When it comes to a fan favorite, Engine Power knew that nothing would satisfy the fans more than turbocharging the wildly popular Ford 300. Indestructible, reliable, and workhorse are some of the m... www.powernationtv.com
People has been cutting up two LS1 heads and welding them together to make a really good 300 i6 head
That's really hurting for something to do.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Ford dropped the 300 six because it needed a new cylinder head design. You can't emissionize a U flow head. Add in the packaging problems of an inline 6 and the engine wasn't worth the 100 million it would have cost to upgrade. The block machining line was worn out also.
Biggest issue---the 300 is a pushrod engine--as a gas engine very antique. Not to say it's a bad engine but moving parts wise and oil the way it is a flat tappet is not a 2025 engine.
What was the last year the 300-6 was offered?
1996 in the US as per Wiki. It was a good engine for it's time, was due for a replacement. I didn't appreciate it at the time, only knew of v8's.
They dropped it because they haven't made replacement parts for them since the 70's
When i worked at a ford dealership back in the late 70’s, the 300 six was notorious for cracking exhaust manifolds. Other than that, they were pretty good
Same, I think they were a great engine for a low end fleet vehicle, irrigation pump, wood chipper, etc. I'd personally take a 351w or even a 302 over a 300 in a half ton or bronco. My father had a 1980 F250 with a 300 six, 4spd and 4.10 gears. Did ok on the farm and around town, not much for towing on the highway as I recall. Bought a F250 with a 460 in '88 and never looked back, nothing but big blocks or diesels from then on.
Well----all this talk of old gas pots-----Those ran best in winter time, choke stove went to hell and they flooded, or choke linkage out of adjustment. Nah-when throttle body came along no body wanted a carb. * Any of you youngsters remember this? Ever seen that?---I have. *
Really that's the reason they dropped the entire line of v8s as well. I still think if they had just put some really good modern cylinder heads, better induction and modern EFI/ignition on the the 351w and 460, and skipped all that mod motor mess they'd have been way ahead. But, the tooling was completely worn out for those motors as well. Some of the late model 302/351w/460s I've been into were pretty loose and crude from the factory. IMO the chevy LS motors share far more in common with a SBF than they do a SBC. Put some high port Yates heads on a 351w and you have an LS. It's interesting that ford has come full circle back to the push rod V8 with the 6.8 and 7.3.
Some sort of an anti freeze spray on traction deal?
There's a guy that says the LS is a copy of the 351w, I think he's right too
This was fords best--the 351C---When the W came out in late 60's it was a dog of a engine and only till major top end reconfiguration will it run. The C with nothing more than some over the counter bolt on's would easily produce 400 hp. There was a reason the Pantera came with the C and not a W. *
And im here think 7.3s and 6 liters are old!
All true, however the 351c's biggest downfall was its short production run. Once the aftermarket heads for the 302/351w started being developed in the late 80s it completely changed the game.
It only ended because of the memorandum handed down at Ford headquarters in summer of 1973 that all performance engineering will cease and desist as of memo's date. Everything that belonged to the C as far as cylinder head design was used in the W, especially intake runner design. The W is external balanced where the C was internal, a flywheel from a 289, 300, 302 could be used on the C. The bore spacing is the same from the 255 right through the 351M/400. A Boss 302 can be constructed by using the 351C two barrel heads, same head used on the modified & 400. just had to welch plug the intake water ports. S&S in Texas made a aluminum intake for the boss conversion. I built one in 1989 it went in a 34 ford. I had a collection of hi-perf ford oem parts people would love to have today, from Y block all the way to SCJ429. I had nine complete C's setting at one time along with scads of bare blocks, cranks, closed and open chamber heads. I had two side oilers that went in the sale, along with 2 six pack manifolds complete with linkage & air cleaners for 1961 390 HP 390's. Most of what I had went to 66 Fairlane's, that's a R code 427 below. *
An iconic car in Australia is these jiggers pulling 471hp off the showroom floor. Good for over the ton in second gear. IIRC it was the fastest production salon car in the world https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1975-ford-falcon-gt-xb-manual/OAG-AD-24025043/
I think this guy was over a little... Doesn't look like that much, I guess all the rain we just got added a lot of weight to the material.
The tires aren't even squatting yet . . . If it was a 2025 F600 it would be good for 22,000, but from the interior door panel it is no newer than 2007.
The Aussie Ford engine manufacturing was a total different platform, those plants continued to build hi--performance although there 4dr falcons were a tad ugly. The 1963 thunderbolt was a 11.6 in quarter mile 124mp, it was years before the hellcat finally went 11.4 & 126mp.
It was 550, 4x4, I believe 99-04 year range based on what the grille looked like. From what I understand that limits it to 17,500 gvw. Looked like it had a 11' bed.
My 450 of that year range is good for 17,500, so the 550 might be a little higher, but certainly not 22k . . .
Looks like at the far end of the scale, could it be off because not centered ?
"Good for" and manufacturer GVW ratings don't always match!
He was fully on the scale
Lol, yes but mine has a manufacturer GVWR of 17,500 . . .
Interesting. What year is it?
Yes, I understand that. However the scale continues under the camera. if the scale platform is a 50' long one (like I see at the scrapyards) Could it mess up the reading ? I always try to stop on the scale in the middle of the length.
Not sure. Any scale I've been on has read the same regardless of where I've parked on it. I don't think they would be able to have the scale certified if it didn't.
All truck scales I've seen weigh the same regardless of where you are on the scale. I'm not sure how that works. Most are long enough for a semi. I know of only one short enough to weigh only two axles at a time, they add them up.
Being in the middle of a 50'-80' scale to get proper weight is bullsh!t. Ever hear of axle-ing the weight? ***--as soon as the steer axle rolls on it will weigh accurately what it is. DOT scales are axle weigh, you can add them up as you cross. ROOKIES.
I confess, in my ignorance I worry about friction at some pivot point affecting accuracy. We send men to New Mexico, pretend they have been to the Moon, even the astronauts believe it. Do you believe we can't build a scale?!!
I'm in New Mexico and parts of it are as barren as the moon. Joe H
Most scale masters have some leeway on overages. Especially when they know you just fueled. Many a case of steers being over 250 lbs because of fuel, they know it's going to drop with miles. Allot times I would head north from Ca. with half tanks and only ran on half or less to make weight. A truck with a total of 350 over spread out over the axle groups normally will pass. It's when your gross is ok but over on bridge that's a problem. When they redlight {park bring papers} and drag out the tape is when the issues rise. But during winter a rig can collect enough ice/snow to add 4,000 lbs, so that has to be knocked off before scale.
There are electronic load cells under the scale and the scale head adds them all together to get the weight. I've noticed a one or two hundred pound difference from one end to the other on certain scales with a solo dump truck but that's not much. The scale calibration people use a self propelled cart of a known weight and roll it back and forth over the platform, tweaking the load cells until they agree. There probably aren't many, if any mechanical scales in use anymore.
Actually I lied, it is 15,000lb GVWR, the maximum loaded trailer weight is 17,600lb. The F550 was up to 19,000lb GVWR. I got to wondering if I was remembering right and looked up the book again. My truck is a 2000, RWD with the 7.3.
That makes more sense. The 2000 F450 that I had was also 15000. My current 02 F550 is 17,500. My understanding is that certain 550s of the same era were rated at 19000 but I think that option was only available for the automatics, and maybe only RWD. They accomplished it by additional reinforcement plates added to the frame during manufacturing. Makes me want to find one of those frames and convert it to 4wd manual transmission. Or maybe I should just buy a newer truck...
A new F550 with 11' of plow on the front, a 3 yard spreader on the back, and a 40k gooseneck in the summer with both the mini and CTL on. Someday. But Shhhhh . . . if we keep talking about big Ford pickups the Forum Airbrake Police are going to show up . . .
I've already put a bug in the NTSB's ear, it's next up.
I was just looking at a 2006 book the other day, I thought it was 22-24k, but I couldn't remember, I might take a look again. Irc they changed axles on the 2005+ models That truck could be 99-07 but the different mirrors suggest to me that it's a pre tow mirror model, maybe 99-02 or bigger than a 550
That is trailer weight on a heavy spec F550.
11' plow: Not a 40k gooseneck:
It was a 99-04 F550 4x4.
They've squeezed just about all they can out of these 1.5 ton trucks with big power & tow ratings to help poor mister contractor stay away from a CDL. The big three have milked the crap out of that one, next thing it will come as a single cab to try and shave more weight.
Could that have been O. C. Jones.
A.J.
A CDL is required if the combination is over 26,000lb, whether it's a pickup cab or not. My combinations are all CDL.
A CDL is required only if your get pulled over
{Can of Worms} How about if registered as an RV?
Good luck explaining that on the side of the road. You sleep in the cab if you machine?
There is no explaining. If the registration says it is an RV, it is an RV.
If that was a legal loophole, every contractor in this country would be running RVs. Kinda like how all the semi trailers are registered in Maine.
Yes yes yes, the 26,001 has been mentioned on here what 1000 times. I realize I deal with class eight but I also know the puny stuff too. It is unless they can peel any extra weight from towing vehicle for GVW total. Freightliner could skim the weight right off, the seat cover was nothing but {GLAD Cling N Seal food wrap}.
Not probable, can ONLY pull RV, cannot so much as tow a Small trailer load of materials for home use on a RV tag. At least in MO, my KW is licensed weight tag due to that. So I can use it for MY uses, cannot hire it out.
That's why Ford went with aluminum cabs . . .
Yeah finally copying the big boys, only took how long?
Even L series were iron cab. Took them forever. That two story Falcon was aluminum and tons of plastic/fiberglass, saved no weight.
It was a terrible design, leaning tower of trouble. Crossmembers had a tendency of cracking, front cab hinge mounts constantly wore out, electrical issues. *
Massive monstrosity, caused many motion sickness
Utah, Nebraska & Illinois, every trailer Sysco owns out here is papered in Illinois, right along with U.S. Foods.
Yeah that trend been sliding a long time now. UPS still all Indiana.
Hodepo just had to get in the act
Just One More and is ALL I need!! OOPSIE!!!
Staged.
It's a new self dumping shopping cart.
Listed for sale. Its got a little extra weight.
Maybe it's a crash bumper for junior operators . . .
I'm tell'n ya ma,ya can just hear guitars & banjo's in that picture.
Not sure you could even steer with that set up. Driver of that definitely deserves some serious fines. Even the safety chains would be worn out in a mile let alone the hitch digging grooves in the pavement.
She'll be right, the truck fit on the trailer, it must be OK to tow it.
If it fits it ships? ROFLOL!!!
Yea, wrong vehicle on the trailer.
might have better balance with the truck loaded on the trailer backwards
Ya know, we are all laughing about this, but I know a guy who would definitely do this and brag about it!
The tail might really wag the dog then although I can't see it going more than 5 MPH.
That's what you get when wanting the cheapest shipping option.
Back in the day when cell phones first came on the scene---early day driving while texting. Vehicle safety has come along way. *
That's why a drivers license stipulates you wear corrective lenses.
That looks like an ad for "built Ford tough".
Just picking up some firewood for the winter.
That reminds me of my uncle
Wish I had pictures. I have a neighbor wanted Black Locust poles 14' long. My friend found some, cut them & delivered. They were about 18" diameter big end. He delivered 5 in a four cylinder Ford Ranger with 6' box. My personal record was a 28' Basswood log in a 1956 Power Wagon with 8' bed. About 20' sticking out the back, made steering quite light! On another occasion Seth & I transplanted a Sugar Maple. With a bundled 9' Diameter root ball it was 53' long on the 24' trailer. Tail swing was a challenge! That was 15 years ago. Tree is still alive but it got some bug leaves a ring around the trunk. Some Maple survive this, others don't.
He brought enough truck
Sure like to see those pictures
It would/wood seem postings like the last two folks start to brag about their own bouts of overload stupidity.
If it's on your own property go ahead and destroy your equipment and trucks. If it's on a public road is another thing.
He's all in for Chili Con-Carne and a couple burger patties with a package of cheese. That's just to get started mind you.
He's driving the skid steer to load up at the all you can eat buffet. The fire dept. is standing by with the Jaws of Life to get him out of the skid steer. Unfortunately the coroner is also standing by.
LMM is an operator too? Joe H
He is more likely to survive a hard roll over. He's packed in better than most packages you get from Amazon, FedEx or UPS.
At least he won’t fall out and pin himself under the machine. That would be real embarrassing if he fell out and pinned himself under the machine..
Impossible, the machine would be stranded on top of him while trying to escape.
Gee I didn't damage anything. I'll conceed it isn't wise in traffic or a high speed highway.
I only overload responseable
Just kidding Willie.
TS, I braved the cold today just for you I hope this is worthy of this thread
You had room for more!
Wow, a big timer with a rotating log grapple AND steel tracks!
Nice set up!
Very nice indeed!
With people wanting to go back in time, This would be more like it. Good old fashioned wholesome americana gathering the necessities for winter living, the proper upstanding values built by hours of labor toiling about in the fresh clean mountain air. *
My grandfather did that. The last Friday of every month, Their dog would lay at the side of the road waiting for him to come home. They said if the dog ran down the road, they knew he was bringing his horses
Try to keep in line with this thread topic
That is photoshopped . . .
Wow, I didn't know they had Photoshop back then
Not much different than {gas and oil industry people thread} ended up talking about todgers.
What a todger? I've only been in the oilfield almost 19 years and never heard that term
They didn't, but everybody now sure does. I have stacked enough logs to take one look at that and say it's not possible outside a digital realm. Logs just don't do that. The first three tiers of logs are stacked directly on top of one another!
Dad came home from the Korean Conflict, went to work for Bellows Falls Ice Company. At some point he drove log truck. The "teamster" boss wanted no injuries. In a time when trucks weren't big, the boss wouldn't allow stakes on a truck. A layer of logs were loaded, chained down. Second layer rolled on top, chained down.........third & fourth. This looks to be three chains over the whole load. I don't think that's possible. Two horses gonna pull that?
Roughly 55 logs on that skid don't think it happened
Its 2025, and all those bored 19 year olds who don't work enough create 5 level 747's and A330's with 50 engines . . .
About two tons over. I can't blame the loader operator either.
Got the key again I see.
4.2K views · 11K reactions | Crazy maN #trending #truck #dangrous #reels | Marbles Mining Buner Pakistan Crazy maN #trending #truck #dangrous #reels. www.facebook.com
Apparently it was broken. Story of my life lately.
Interesting break for a west coast lowboy with a coffin box. I hope that's not yours.
Saw that the other day, and someone who owns one like it, experienced slight cracking in that same area. Flaw?
See what comments this brings-------. It's not a 4dr pickup--Equinox *
Lots of Photoshop going on apparently.....
And some more.......
That is a ancient form of photo shopping only done at-------------------. *
They should put a 2wd 4cyl Ford ranger in front of those skids
my trucker and pilot friend EK Dorwin, Dorwin trucking had a contract to pick up all those Fotomat booths when they bellied up, and he got stuck with them. Not to let them all go to scrap, he had a brilliant idea to put one on top of his two story beach bungalow with his boom truck. Then they built a spiral staircase up into it, and it was the hangout and place for the telescope. He could now see the ocean from his place. He and the city of Ocean Shores went round and round about it, and eventually he drove the boom truck and a trailer out there and took it down. He had a few years of fun with it. A tip of the hat to EK Dorwin, a Great Dane if there ever was one. EK came out to recover the 150 after my off field landing.
Nope, not mine. A buddy sent me the pictures.
Mind you this is strictly simulator--it doesn't match any Cascadia controls, but the vid through the windshield and noise level is pretty close. *
I had to stop at 0.37, the socks and driving gloves freaked me out . . .
Well that was the real part of it--his flip flops were on the side. I've seen drivers in truck stops with driving gloves. lol
All the sudden those chrome toe boots aren't so bad . . .
I remember seeing a friend of a friend climb down from a cabover in front of a coffee shop in Hope BC back in the early 80’s (recognized the truck as we drove past). He had the pointy boots and the driving gloves. They did walk amongst us…..
All listening to this song. *
Poor design right there.
Its quite a trailer though. Those 160's are 12' wide or so on the outrigger boxes, and they aren't overhanging the trailer much, and the tires aren't out on the edge. I think they are over 10' at the tires. Its quite a deck. They could have dropped another 17,000lbs by getting rid of the outrigger boxes, they hyd. pin on those, but extra loads cost extra $$$....
Not overloaded, but unsecured. This ol’e boi managed to stop northbound traffic on the Parks Highway today for the morning commute. Not sure what he was hauling, except for the first responders saying it was metal.
MatCom is not encrypted. Anyone can listen to fire-ambulance. One of the first responders was requesting HAZMAT 1 respond because the DEF tank was ruptured and spilled approximately 5 gallons. The dispatcher asked some questions and then told the onsite crew, don’t worry about it. It’s not hazmat. But we need HAZMAT 1! No, you don’t.
That almost (what I can see) looks like a brake check incident or fast stop at the light...
Those old photos of the horse/mule teams pulling the huge loads are very likely real. I have a book called "Endless Tracks in the Woods" copyright 1989 with some very similar photos. The author states that while the loads may look impossible and look staged, they were probably legit. Goes on to say that the extremely low drag coefficient of pulling the sleds on packed snow/ice made it possible for teams to pull huge loads. Also, if you look close the logs are bundled in individual chained packs, loaded on one another, then all chained down. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to 'stack' the logs directly on top of each other like that.
https://fb.watch/xbHe5hHapr/
That vid was top action--got a front end loader and lowboy in a split second. It was found later the driver had a beard & tattoo's.
He found a novel way to unhook that trailer.
At Port Kelley grain terminal on Hyw 730 west of Wallula Junction. There have been so many close calls with grain trucks crossing Union Pacific tracks. The RR runs along side hyw, if both are headed west bound the distance from hyw to track crossing is real close. Trucks turning into the right sometimes don't check in their mirror if train is coming around the mountain headed the same direction, can't really see it but the road is higher than the tracks along the cliff. One did get hit at rear of lead and pup on a A train set some years ago. The top blue line is where tracks are/hidden by weeds. *
I worked all summer at my friend's cabin and the Creston road was closed for a complete rebuild so that put me down to Tokio. It seems like I danced with a freight train at that intersection a few miles from there almost every time. That one you could see them coming for Miles and if they were westbound they were climbing so they were always slower than you thought they were.
I live in the little Town Of Mount Tabor. Much of my town was sold to the only rich kid in the next town, C. 1868. Railroad, then Civil War left the town without men. Nearly all downhill, teams of horses moved large sleds of logs to the valley. I do not believe these photos are real. Logs won't pile that way! In the real world, ruggler chains were placed under the sled runners to prevent the load from running over the horses. Horses were "rough shod" with spikes (corks) on their shoes to keep them from slipping on ice.
Typical trucker. Can't take the feedbag off, but at least this one can back a dock.
Difference is that feedbag doesn't contain Biscuits & Gravy, plus doesn't have a beard for gravy too get caught/dribbled in.
I believe those photos are real.
Does this count? Ice was clearly overloaded…. Happened about an hour from me earlier today. No fatalities from what I heard. https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1138396431409031&vanity=100057160552062
running light on brainpower. That ice should have held up for that brainiac.
"For sale: Kubota excavator in like new condition. As is, where is." Were they trying to dig a hole in the ice instead of using an auger?
freshly washed!
"Was running when parked!" George
News channel this morning reported that the excavator was left parked on the ice overnight, owner came back Friday morning to find it with the fishes…
There was one chain on the front blade, but there was a second bucket against the gooseneck that was just laying on the deck.
Just Drive SLOW!!!
We pickup Sand at a dredged site in Old Monroe MO, BNSF Tracks run between Highway 79 and the plant, Hwy is a PITA as so busy and no Gates or Lights on two track crossing so Stop Signs. Makes for Button Hole cutting moments. Google Maps Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. www.google.com
Wow!! Wonder if they think rubber would hold it ??? B A C K waaaayyyy up! Better yet, wait at the bottom of the hill or different route.
I see a lot of loads not chained down one guy told me it has a parking brake.
Thought the title of the thread was *overload* of the day?
It is, the Hauler overloaded his/her ego!!
It counts as a overload, when the load ends up over in the ditch.
Here is one that showed up on my Facebook.
How long did it sit there before they decided to mow around it???
That's only what, about 3 maybe 4 times heavier than the truck and trailer?
I can't tell if thats a 41 or a 51, kinda looks like a 51. That makes it a 34K machine.
Unreal
Are we sure thats not a really good AI image. There’s a lot of ai on facebook
No idea, it just came up on a Facebook posting. I know idiots who would/could do something like this.
Looks like we've got our share of idiots as well, or are you guys starting to export yours? The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) has shared details of an articulated combination found to be missing the hub and wheels from its third trailer axle. The truck was intercepted by safety and compliance officers at the Marulan inspection station. “The driver was completely unaware – but admitted to noticing the vehicle was operating on a lean,” the NHVR said. “Parts of the bearings and linings were still smoking hot, so it’s likely the hubs and wheels had fallen off throughout the driver’s journey – creating a potentially very dangerous situation for surrounding road users.” The NHVR also shared a safety message, “Drivers are reminded that if something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Please check your vehicle regularly and conduct routine maintenance.”
There's been a few wheels come flying off of trucks in Ontario and I'm sure other places as well. Most smart drivers have the plastic indicators on the lug nuts.
Our school buses had those. Great for loose wheel nuts, but did not help at all when I lost a whole front wheel assembly due to failed bearings.
Feeling the hubs when bouncing tires will usually give a warning of these bearing issues.
Remember Pops--that's old school, check every 2 to 3 hr driver break, way it was back in your days.
Those things generally get a funny smell as they head to failure
At least it fell off before catching fire and burning the trailer to the ground.
A few years ago the driver of a car was killed when a wheel came flying off a truck. If it's from lack of maintenance or an O/O not doing regular checks of their truck and trailer, let the trailer burn to the ground. Better than killing someone because of their negligence.
There was less of these failures years ago. With the introduction of automatic slack adjusters getting under a tractor/trailer to adjust manual slack adjusters came to an end, along with looking at wheel seals through space in shoe web to axle to check for leaking wheel seals. Plus broken/ cracked suspension & brake parts. A trailer that's a DOT mans dream is a lowboy, only if he is skinny as 5 dollar bill to slid under.
Newbie watched me do a walkaround insp. Took over fifteen minutes and he asked why I bothered as these were newer trucks. Told him as I was taught the age means squat, WE as driver are last line of defense against killing someone innocent with deficient equipment. New disc brake ***** stops great, cannot see much of working components, absolute epitome of axle seal destroyers. (TS has shown that), I have seen and found enough of them at yard I work out of. Kid did the Deer in Headlamps Blink Blink and I knew was no longer listening. Finished my insp and moved along. He never opened the hood on his wagon, do not believe even checked lights.
^^^ Kid is part of the "Kick Tire, Light fire, Push GO Button" crowd.
And just paying attention when you're driving. New noises or handling a little different. I think i posted on another thread a month or so ago, bolts securing disk brake rotor to stub axle on my ute started working there way loose. Didn't feel quiet normal driving, next town stopped and tried to wobble front wheels (suspected wheel bearings going out, nope all tight), couldn't find anything. Got back in with windows down and started off, heard a ticking noise. Pulled up again and jacked a front wheel up, discovered a problem. Before it became catastrophic. I'm certainly no expert, just look and listen and most importantly, give a ****.
Required by law. CDL exam they give you a check list. You demonstrate the pre trip inspection. I failed first time. "you failed to check the headboard & landing gear on the trailer." "It doesn't have either of those." I responded. "You need to mention that." he said. "You failed to check your windshield." "I certainly did." I said. You need to mention that.
The owners of trucks should offer some kind of bonuses to driver that spot problems on there trucks. They shouldn't have to but it could help the owners save money in the long run.
License inspectors here work against semantics, miss big picture, fail to truly understand ‘Hazard’ value. In my return to CDL several decades ago, the inspector questioned my comment of ‘Looking for distress or slippage marks and rust or metal tracks’ told ‘Her’ loose bolts will leave tell tale slip rub marks as well eroded paint metal or corrosion products as a tell tale. Double Blink brain disengaged look. She also Noted I did not Pry hard enough on tie rod and drag link checking for loose, tried to fail me for that where the boss with me warned that was being less than effective on her part. She passed me.
All that stated, IF attempt to take a State DOT Board Driving Exam will NOT EVER Pass here, seemed odd until found that should one take a Trades School Driving Course, the State Driving test is WAIVED. WTH. Pushing the tests off onto the schools, how convenient, and cash cow friendly. Buddy of mine attempted the Class A CDL Practical Exam three times, failed all three, took a seven WEEK class at School outside CoMO, went to License Office, NO Driving EXAM Required and got CDL. Only Cost him $1765. Anyone else see a Problem here?
MMoooooooo.
Trucking companies have had incentive plans for a long time. It doesn't work all that well. * Up at the shop yesterday and here was 528 setting in the shop waiting for a detailing $$$. Seems the old boy who drove it got himself fired, so before he totally finished getting his stuff out of the cab, he dumped garbage plus a box of what looked like cookies all over the mattress, floor, dash & seats, then poured water over it all. Lets see this driver is 83 years old, has 64 plus years driving truck, pulled a stupid stunt on camera behind the wheel then trashes the inside of truck after being canned.
“Anyone else see a Problem here?” Yes
At 83, I'm surprised he still had a CDL. That isn't real common, is it? I know a few folks that drove into their 80s, but not a tractor trailer to make a living.
Ken is mid eighties, owns an excavating business pared down to him, his son, and one employee. He is our local fire chief. He owns the most visited convenience store, fuel station, and deli. No reason for him to slow down, but he admitted they pile more obstacles with each physical exam. He's worried he may lose his CDL in the future. At present he does most of the tractor trailer & dump truck work.
Some are still OK to drive at 83 but throwing a temper tantrum and making a mess of someone else's truck I would expect that from at most a 30 year old.
There are many in early 80's still driving, I know of two that just finally threw the towel in at 82 for both. Things like this are the reason for Dash Cams that record driver also. Too bad it has come to that but--with insurance the way it is--dash cams are necessary to protect everyone.
In some cases with the onset of senile dimentia, a personality changes. In my father in law's case he became violent.
For myself--at 68, I have about 1.5 years left. For me I figure it's time to stop at 70. Truthfully a person might reflect good health and reflexes at age over 70, but I feel that's pushing it for me. I know I'm not as quick or see or hear as good as I did at 62. There is no need to test the waters any further than 70. What a person thinks is often wishful on their part, and it's best to quit with a clean record voluntarily rather than being told your services are no longer wanted.
Just flipped that age TS, my decision as well. 70 is where I shut it off commercially.
At that stage, he should have already been off the road for a few years. I know, it's hard, and hard to see the steps going down, nor accept it.
I think everybody has a limit where they should no longer be driving, especially a commercial truck. Sadly there's some (maybe a lot) that just don't want to accept that they shouldn't be driving and aren't safe. You don't have as quick of reflexes for one thing. There's always one upmanship too. Buddy drove till he was 85 so I have to at least do that. Then there's stubborn people that "think" they're perfectly fine to be driving but are just a bad accident waiting to happen. I'm sure there are some very good 80 year old truck drivers. I'm also sure there are some that should stop driving at 60. I sold a welder to a guy that was 81 that was still driving a dump truck and pup. He was on the ball and even looked 20 years younger. I was shocked when he said he was 81. Of course I got a couple younger guys to lift the welder into his Dodge Cummins 1 ton SRW. I think he was an exception to the rule you shouldn't be driving a truck at 80.
I have kept my CDL, am now 74 1/2. I gave up driving school bus last year as I just don't feel like I can haul all those children safely anymore. I MIGHT use my class A part to drive a semi now and then, but I know I am getting too slow with my reflexes to do much of this. If I take a DOT physical and fail it, or come close to failing it, I will give up my CDL for good. A person has got to know when to quit, and my time is about up.
Well,.......My father in law never drove anything bigger than a Cadilac. As he neared 90, he showed up for dinner each evening with new dents, & paint from new cars he had hit. In his version, these people hit him. I started a series of discussions suggesting he shouldn't drive. He would respond: "Nonesense, I've been driving since I was five years old! I drive now just as well!" I answered: "Yes, that is exactly my point!" It was true, he drove as well as a five year old. I called Vermont DMV. I expressed my concerns. I was told in no uncertain terms to mind my own business. Sometime later he had a mishap. His car was tangled in cattails & swamp muck. Someone had pulled his car out, driven it home. The car was soiled in vomit. He was unable to offer any information. I learned months later, a State Trooper found him parked in the middle of Route 7 (a very busy highway). He was disoriented. Trooper got him home. State revoked his driver's license by mail notification. No family member was notified. Months after that he stormed into his doctor's office demanding to be seen immediately. Doctor called me. I went to retrieve him, & the doctor gave me an ass chewing: "This man is NOT to drive!"
My Grampa retired at 65 from driving tankers. He just was tired and couldn’t face another winter of hauling the hoses ( those old heavy ones, not the lighter plastic stuff we see today) out and in several times a day. He did continue driving until he wrecked his car when he was in his mid/ late 80’s despite the family wanting him to stop.
There are some that should not ever have been issued a license no matter their age, just not worth the angst they transport with their bad attitudes or personas’. Knew a gal at the nuke, multi tasker was seen multiple times running late putting makeup on driving at high speed down nasty two lane rural roads. Caught up with her and she damn near to died, SINGLE Car accident, witnesses and she still managed to get her license back, still repeated that same bad habits. Retired last year, accident, lost license, cannot get it back without going thru classes as had a history so just stopped driving. Are all kinds out there at all ages, I see the morons every day delivering products, these people are a tangible danger to society and seems none can stop them.
I am a couple years from sixty and know I am not as sharp as I was 5 years ago . One bad thing around here is its going to be tuff to replace older drivers there just isn't that many young drivers.
Have you seen the drivers in their 20's?
We have a couple, and not all that swift.
I’m likely not renewing my CDL later this summer. I haven’t used it for over 2 years. i kept it in case someone needed me during harvest but since we moved 2 years ago, thats not going to happen. I hate to let it go but its not worth the cost. The class 1 will revert back to a class 3 in case i feel the urge to drive a dump truck again but not likely
In Kansas you can convert to intrastate so no medical card and the renew cost is $20-40 every 4 years. I'll keep mine forever
MO will drop a CDL without Physical, no matter Intra or Inter state.
Must be 13 years ago, I was told in April no medical card required if you don't leave Vermont. When I arrived for my test appointment he asked for my medical card. I responded: "You told me I didn't need one." Blustering up he asked: "Who told you that!?" I responded: "You did!" "Well, the law is changing in July, we're enforcing it early." I made an appointment with my doctor's office staff, hoping he would sign off, I had recently had my annual physical. Office lady said no he'll have to start over. I showed up for my physical exam. He was in a mood! "I no longer do CDL physicals!" Then he unloaded: "I'm qualified to teach other doctors to administer these, but to legally do them, I have to pay & take a week long course." My credentials to do them expire soon, I won't be doing them after. In the years since, there was a independent doctor ran a walk in clinic. He closed down, sold his building to Burger King. A new chain clinic started up in Rutland, I went there a few years, might take half a day in the waiting room. A couple years they gave me a pager like restraunts sometimes do, I'd sit in the truck until they were ready. Last round, they were no longer offering that service. I made internet searches, each was too busy, or their only qualified doctor was away. I was eventually able to make an appointment 40 miles from home. Exam was uneventful. A month later I received a not believable call: The woman who examined me had changed her last name, was therefore not qualified. They made a new appointment for me at another facility 50 miles from home. After waiting an hour past my appointment time, an aid came in, told me to undress. By the time the 20 year old female "doctor" came in she started grilling me. By the time she took my blood pressure it was high.
Idaho was no cdl/medical card for farm 10 wheelers and dump trucks IF you were hauling exempt (pit run, topsoil versus crushed or otherwise processed material). Why you can't do harm with a medical emergency in a dump truck hauling pit run, where you are a hazard in the same truck/ same weight hauling roadbase is beyond me. Our farm lobby is pretty strong.
Famers here are not required to have CDL at all, just cannot haul for anyone else or cross state line more than 50 miles.
Not intended towards older drivers=== You can not fix stupid but it generally fixes itself.
…….as long as it doesn’t kill somebody else
Been on a few RSH Sites recently, mainly looking for Large Site RV capable state or federal parks, got a few hits as to taking the LQ trailer to with Blue. Side Note, the way people work to justify using Stupidly LIGHT Duty trucks to haul MASSIVE RSH Tiny Homes is beyond belief. Sales Staffs selling these dorks twice the capability of 150 or 1500 even 250 or 2500 series wagons where a 450/4500 is barely enough. Fella BOUGHT a 14,800 Fth Wheel trailer, had a 'Sliding Fifth Wheel' installed in a SWB Half Ton DENALI 1500 as Has FWD and a "Smoking Hot V8" then the whining started on their second or third escapade, busted rear axle housing, OVER GCWR and well over GAWR with Loaded RSH Static tongue weight at close to 1200#. NOT Warranty. Someone needs to go to jail selling these people on this.
Sliding fifth wheel is getting close to payload by itself on a half ton lol. Side note I did a tic Tok with my clapped out triton 2003 f250 and a guy was in full force telling me a new half ton would be better for towing than that truck because of the 13k row rating it has. The 03 has a 7100# tow rating, I rather have the old f250
The newer 1/2 ton Fords with a six cylinder engine will surprize you with their fitness to tow. I make no claims as to stopping power, or the truck not being beaten up by the trailer, but they do have hill climbing power. My younger son has a 2022 F 150. I drove my Top Kick 75 miles with the backhoe in tow, left it at his house, returned with his Ford & a 5800 LB tractor on a 2500 LB trailer. West to East trip is lots of hills. I was amazed a half ton could do that.
The thing is weight of the truck, axle and frame size and my 03 is just slightly smaller than a new f250. The 05 got the super 60 upgrade over the regular 60 than it's pretty much the same. That guy could not get it. I also tow trailers up to 20k, but that with that f250 10k is my limit
We have a 2023 freight train crew cab F350 with 8' box. Takes two parking spaces & the mirrors hang over the little cars on either side. It is the big gas engine. If I am correct it'd take 300,000 miles for the diesel to overtake it on cost. It'll tow a house. We often tow the 22500 LB GTW trailer, though never fully loaded. It easily handles two Farmall M tractors. I wouldn't try that with an F150
3.9K views · 6.2K reactions | Wow #stripelife #lawncare #mower #zeroturn #zeroturnmower #grass #lawn #lawncarenation #stripenation #mowers #lawncareservice #landscape #landscapes #landscaper #landscapephoto #motivation #lawncarenut #lawnmower #stripe Wow #stripelife #lawncare #mower #zeroturn #zeroturnmower #grass #lawn #lawncarenation #stripenation #mowers #lawncareservice #landscape #landscapes #landscaper #landscapephoto #motivation... www.facebook.com
it was that bucket of 21 piece kfc that did it.
Yeah the 4r100 really limits the towing capacity, if it had the 5r110 I would tow about anything, slowly. I have another 03 5.4 gas that's a f350 with the zf6 and much more geared down and more gears to tow, I've gone up to 30l behind it. I can see why in the old days they wanted a manual for towing, but the 5r110 beats the manual in every way except getting tow started.
My old 250SD, has a 4R100, earliest model failed at 285,000, fine splined main shaft sheared away splines in clutch hubs. Reman that went in has all the updates, HOWEVER, I towed a SW Tandem Gooseneck with a Allis 180, equipped with loader(over 8K), attached to it a 3008 3Pt Bush Hog at 1800lbs Tools and equipment for working at BILs. MONTHLY. Down and Back if not Semi Monthly. Towed fine, and was clued in DO NOT USE TOW HAUL doing what I was doing. Not ever used Tow haul, now have close to 60K on reman unit. Use it like a Red Headed Step Child. This went to Claremore OK 380miles One Way. At Highway speed on I-44 This is the Typical Chummer load. 60Gal Ballast Both Rears.
4r100 is a od off transmission
Not one time ever turned the OD off to tow 341,000 miles
I haven't paid attention what it does except the obvious od off yet but you must have a diesel as 5.4 needs all the rpm it can get. The 5r110 is a different story giving (irc) increase line pressure, different shift points, and a factory engine brake (diesel).
That guy should go buy a lottery ticket right away maybe the other guy too. Must think the saying never go under a raised load doesn't need to be taken seriously.
There's not much you can say to that. Don't walk under it and pure luck they survived.
Yes CF, has a 7.3PS in front of it.
Probably the same guy that tipped the crane over to begin with. Safety second on that site.
One word: Moron!
If it weren't for those type of people, there would be way less need of emt's, safety people, people selling safety equipment & gear, people who build emergency response vehicles, less need in E/R rooms and personnel plus the final business mortuary/mortician. See those type of unsafe people create a whole other area of major business revenue. So morons do have their place in the system, they help keep cash flowing too. Imagine how dull it would get without Headline News.
Those guys missed out on their Darwin Awards. Oh well, there's always tomorrow to try again . . .
That bloke in red is not wearing his hard hat on site, a serious safety violation. Where is the safety officer to fire him.
I am no rigger or crane operator, but, I don't think they hooked that correctly to turn it over without further damage.
Truck Carrying 182-Ton Oversize Load Tipped Over on a Bridge and Now It’s Stuck There There's a crane on the way to save the truck, but locals are worried it might not get there before the guardrail propping the trailer up collapses. www.thedrive.com The false deck they built, to protect the bridge deck collapsed. Supposedly the guardrail is all that's holding it from going over. 182 ton, the bridge is over a canal. Article says a 1,200 ton crane is on the way to pick it off. Article says a 22 year old was driving it. Bailed out the opposite side when it started to go.
That’s wack.
At least the kid knew which side to bail out on . . .
I believe its Wacked!
Certainly not the same truck. I bought my van 2013, no choices, tow rating ?9000? at any rate ay more than my 6050 GTW rated camper. Anything bigger, I towed with a different truck. I was troubled, 6 speed with two overdrive gears, 3.42 was the only axle ratio offered. I questioned if a 3500 would be offered with a lower ratio. Took the dealer's personel & me researching, only part different between 2500 & 3500 is rear springs. If I recall it was a $5600 option. Two years old first torque converter failed. Wasn't long, second torque converter failed. Third fail was transmission also. Dealer called me: Did I want new oil & filters this time? I flipped out: "You didn't replace oil before?!!" "No, that isn't covered under warranty." Second transmission has about 100,000 miles now. I haven't towed except in tow haul. Probably hauled 5000 miles 6500 LB trailer.
That bloke in red is not wearing his hard hat on site, a serious safety violation The guy in red had a white hat, the guy in black picked it up on the way out. Black hat is still on the ground. Joe H
Sounds like a Chrysler
They changed the convertor and gave it back with contaminated fluid? Joe H
Yup, oil & filters are not covered by warranty. Third warranty replacement I paid extra to get the cooler flushed also.
Not great pictures but this is what happens when you don't shovel roofs
Those flimsy carport things don't take much snow to collapse . . .
That's what happens when you try to save money and don't get a high snow load rating.
I learned that lesson when I was 8 or 10 years old. Behind my parents house is a horse farm with a huge indoor riding arena. Something like 80'x160', all timber framed. The arena was only a few years old when we had a near record snowfall year. I remember my dad shoveling our roof off mid winter, along with all of the neighbors. A couple days later, we heard this rumble from across the field. The snow brought down the entire roof structure, killing one horse. Thankfully, no other casualties.
Stealth load of saturated rocky stuff. I knew it was heavy but not 14 tons worth! It came out in a single fast lump.
This is a securement story rather than an overload. Yesterday I hauled our long reach to our next project. On the way I went through the westbound port of entry on I84 near Declo, Idaho. This is a fancy newer weigh station that gathers information such as license plate number and weight out on the frewway, and then has signs stating whether or not to bypass or come into the scale. Even when hauling oversize/overweight we sometimes get the bypass sign, evidently because our annual permit must show up with the other information. No such luck yesterday. I entered the weigh station and rolled slowly across the scales, and then received the "Park for an Inspection" message on their sign board. So I parked, grabbed my permit book, and met the officer by the back of my trailer. After a pleasant greeting he looks at my securement and says that he wanted to check my securement, stating that I had to have 35k of WLL for this load. I said you're right, but how did you know without knowing my tare weight? He holds up his phone and has the specs for a 329E right on it - I didn't see for sure but it may have been Ritchie specs. Anyway, I proceeded to rattle off that I had one indirect 3/8 grade 70 on the boom for 6600 lbs., one indirect 3/8 grade 100 on the bucket for 8800 lbs. and four 1/2 grade 100 direct tie for 7500 lbs each. I hadn't added it up in my mind other than to know we are legal with over 35k WLL. He told me that he didn't see the chain on the bucket at first and that I was good to go. We chatted about tie down points and such for a minute and then off I went. The point behind this is that I thought it was good to see that they are paying attention, because some of the securement that I see is pathetic. I'm not a working load limit nazi, but just throwing some chains on the tracks is scary to me.
He overloaded the 1 chain that held the machine
Great write up, Oxbow.
There are some guys around here taking the model number stickers off their excavators, I would assume for this reason. Saw a nearly new Cat excavator being hauled through town the other day and my first though was "My god that looks heavy for a tandem axle semi and tandem RGN". Looked over one side, looked on the other, model # decals had been removed. Looked to be about a 336 size machine, definitely way heavy for our weight laws here....
Interesting. Brilliant idea. No sir, that’s a 315, I swear to all things holy.
"Make that a model 311 1/2 officer"....
Heck paint different numbers on it, for a smaller machine
Cool! I can lighten my tractor 2 tons with stickers!
Ha - might run into a problem when your gross if 115K but the machine numbers show a 35k machine? Then again maybe not if they don't put 2 & 2 together!
That's sweet and all but my 120 does not have a single securement point like those on the 329. It's tracks or some cluster over the track frames, so tracks it is. I cross pull them all corners and it gets the bucket chain.
Better than one I saw where guy had the chains hooked to the steps on track frame. When asked about it he said his chain hooks were not big enough to attach to the pads
So thats why Cat made their model numbers so much smaller on the new machines.
To be fair, the steps on the track frame are designated as lifting points in the Operation and Maintenance manual that show the proper way to crane-lift a machine. At least on Cats.
That's exactly what came to my mind. I probably need to pick up a couple of erasers.....
The driver said "When we get to the covered bridge - DUCK!"
3.7K views · 9.1K reactions | I-10 w nm #ovttrucking #peterbilt #trucking | Ovttrucking - Phoenix Az I-10 w nm #ovttrucking #peterbilt #trucking www.facebook.com
The bridge is 16'9" the ex was on a RGN, how in the he double hockey sticks, were they still over height? It looks like they hit it at over 17'.
Last year in Utah. *
Appeared was either a 955 or 977, sad day for all parties and typical of shortcutting. That Ex had to have been Boom Forward, could it be cradled low enough to clear Boom Forward? Larger units here are always Boom or Mast to REAR to lay Flat.
Had a logging excavator hit an overpass near me just a few days ago. In addition to thousands in fines the driver/company is on the hook for the cost of repairs. It's not real extensive damage but the overpass is closed until repairs are made. Last year another excavator hit a overpass also nearby on a major freeway but the damage was more extensive. The excavator wasn't moved for about a week and a half or 2 weeks. They had to shore up the overpass before removing the excavator. The current overpass hit, the truck and excavator made it through. The pivot for the stick hit. It looks like it was less than foot too high. Because it was a forestry machine the stick was longer and they had it vertical on the trailer. If it would have been tucked in just a little wouldn't have hit the overpass. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have something before overpasses that would signal something was too high. Kind of like parking garages have chains or pipes (that swing out of the way) that would warn you before you enter. Maybe something that would trigger a big warning sign to come on like the scales do when you're required to pull in. Would be much cheaper and a lot safer than having to repair overpasses.
Those guys probably all claimed the boom bounced up, which I'm sure is why we have to chain it down.
Over height motion detector--but it would be costly. Detection systems for hot hubs/tires/low air pressure are at scales. Years ago it was a crossbar with chains hanging down at scales, mainly in areas of logging, it was easy to see over height.
warning someone and having them actually heed it are two different things. Perhaps if it was rigged to an array of claymores?
We have an over height detector eastbound on HWY 1 here in the Fraser Valley. Overpass still got hit a few times after it was installed. Can’t fix not being able to read. They just built a new taller overpass at that location.
Two older RR viaducts over I70 between here and Wentzville MO get hit regularly(14’), even with lead cars with the magic stick to touch low objects get hit. Nothing beats, hands down, measuring the machine height and reading/heeding bridge height warnings. Will not stop until trucks stop hauling.
No reason to these days, most won't follow/heed signs or the laws, because the one above them doesn't follow the rules either.
Sometimes it's inexperienced drivers with little to no training. Take truck 3 and machine X to so and so job sight. Not even a thought about checking the height.
Was already loaded for you sometimes
Not a overload but just how some things work when dealing with DOT. Boss asked me last week about running to St. Regis to tow back one of the tractors involved in a fatality accident. Driver isn't at fault by the way, but this morning I asked about any news on it. {Dispatch--Well they did say it could take up to a year before it's released}. I knew and brought it up last week this could playout for 6 months or better. So as I've said before fatality accidents throws everything into a total different spin when it comes to commercial vehicles. It's already been setting for 7 weeks.
That happened to a local guy; bee farmer. He had a semi, some lady pulled in front of him, nothing he could do. They kept the truck for months, went over him and his books like he was a crook. They really worked him over, even though he had 0% fault in the accident.
Oh I've been down this road before with fleet. Audits are always on the table, this time too. Never want to get pushy with DOT, it gets even slower and raises red flags later on.
I consider myself fairly fortunate, as I was real close to being involved in this type of scenario. In August 2009, I was hauling corn to the ethanol plant for my grandpa. I was traveling at 35mph and loaded to 54,000 pounds or so. A gal blew a stop sign in the middle of a small town and I hit her broadside on the passenger side of her 4 door sedan.She was unconscious, but I thought I had killed her. Only the local police responded, along with fire department and first responders. The firemen peeled her car apart like a tin can and she started speaking while the paramedics were loading her into the ambulance. Our truck was driveable, so after the officer was done with questions, the load went to the ethanol plant. The officer called me the next day to tell me the gal was going to be fine and I never heard another word about that incident. They never questioned anything about our truck, the load, records, nothing. The town sent their maintenance crew out to clean up the scene off the road and that was it. Funny side story, I had just gotten my CPL that year. In Michigan, you have to inform the officer immediately if you are carrying, which I was not. When he ran my drivers license, it shows that I have my CPL. He came back and asked me "are you carrying anything today? " I said, "Yeah, corn". He chuckled, I got confused, then figured out what he was referring too.
Eighty year old sawmill owner has three generations of family running the operation, along with a number of experienced employees. He delivers lumber much of the time. Biggest North South highway in Western VT is Route 7, it passes through many small towns. Speed limit is 50 except a few short stretches where speed limit is reduced. 6:00 AM, East Dorset, a bottled milk delivery straight truck was backing across the highway, totally in dark. Joe hit him broadside. Milk jugs were on rooftops 150 feet away, others in the road 300 feet away. Cut the milk truck in half, totaled the semi loaded with lumber. VT DMV presumed the elderly driver was at fault, put him through endless medical tests. He passed them all. A 40 year old driver would have had the same wreck. I haven't heard the outcome, I'll ask.
Local sheriff looking at a truck that generates local revenue is way different than dot
Well the standard investigation--wrote up out of service infractions that happened in the accident. Which is fairly normal because they want to look like they are doing a proper inspection. Problem is those infractions happened during the incident--like the broken oil hub cover on right steer tire, and some scuff marks on the tire being deemed cut--although there are no cuts. Those were written against the driver although they haven't found him at fault. But because of impending law suit, I will be surprised if I get a early release of that vehicle. A friend that operates a towing business has had cars stuck in law enforcement impound for up to two years. But one issue that I discussed was the possibility of rodent infestation inside of cab now that spring is around the corner. The fuel will go sour the Def system will be toast along with the already dead batteries from parasitic draw, a multitude of issues arise with these cases if it takes too long, and might just go to salvage. Plus I forgot-they broke/cracked the oil pan when trying to wheel lift it from the front. Using the T-BAR on wheel lift directly under axle to lift then put blocks under tires to gain height for forks can lead to a bad result when not done properly. I have ramps and use winch to pull truck on ramps. I never use the T-BAR.
Well that sucks
Prolly not an overload, but it was a load.
Gotta love the line lifters on top of the cab.
It was quite the site watching the 24M Graders and the 797F trucks leaving the Decatur, Illinois plant. I worked there in 2008. They needed a police escort to make it to I-72 from the factory. I don't remember any of the other equipment leaving with an escort, though trucks were leaving there every day, hauling stuff down the road. Some got shuttled over to the adjacent rail yard, I don't know the split of how much left by rail vs truck. It seemed the trucks never stopped coming and going though. The 24M graders were built one at a time in a room adjacent to the 797 line (2008). Every other grader was built on an assembly line, but the 24s were so low volume they had a dedicated crew that built them start to finish in one spot. I forget how long it took to build one. The 797s took about 14 days from start of the assembly line to rolling out the door. The line kicked a 797 out the door every 2.5 days, working 24 hours a day.
I wonder if the air bags are dropped, looks like the truck is squatting
32K views · 106 reactions | Unloading Heavy manchine….. Woww!!! astig Operator…#everyonehighlights #highlightseveryone #highlightseveryonefollowers2024... | By Freddie Wed | Facebook Unloading Heavy manchine….. Woww!!! astig Operator…#everyonehighlights #highlightseveryone #highlightseveryonefollowers2024... www.facebook.com
I'll be honest, I didn't even know they made graders that big. Whats the application for something like that?
Maintaining roads for trucks like these
The Acco grader a couple posts up is a one off built in Italy. Champion made a 100T (100 tons) that was bigger than a Cat 24M back in the 80's but wasn't a big seller. It might have been another machine a little too far ahead of it's time similar to a Clark 675 loader.
We think we are full gangsta at overloading trucks, until the third world turns up.
There 1 in every crowd.!!
Not a over load but one I don't think anyone can top. * At the office this morning setting in dispatch and Brandon says--{Wanna see the topper for the last five years?} He fishes through one of his four screens and up pops a dash cam video. One of our T990's was in Kenworth for some warranty work, mechanic takes it for a test drive. In the split screen he was headed for a power pole and fell asleep at the wheel, fortunately he came to and narrowly missed the pole & ditch. * Owner called service department----you almost bought me a new truck. The young and not so restless. Cannot make this stuff up.
An interesting corollary; When I got married in my early 20s, I quit all the fun stuff like skiing, mt. climbing and other activities where injury was possible. I made my living with my body, (logging and later heavy construction) both where you don't work, you don't get paid. Recently, I've met two "men" in their 40s who have blown knees out playing basketball and a third who tore his Achilles tendon playing soccer. All three with families and are now out of work for up to six months. All three with no income. I know I will probably come off as a grumpy old guy, but what happened to responsibility? Go to work and fall asleep at the wheel? How irresponsible/stupid can you get? Don't answer......
Responsibility left with Common Sense, are at the local Micro Distillery making hourly sample inspections.
All one has to do is watch a {Whistling Diesel} video, and the answer is right there. Is good at tearing stuff up though-puts allot of effort into it.
1.1M views · 7.6K reactions | Oversize load accident | 18wheelsofchrome Oversize load accident www.facebook.com I don't know if that link works or not.
Seen that earlier--18wheelsofchrome, I have fun poking fun at some of those vids they post. Like---two strokes.
Holy smokes. The guys running those platform trailers are usually right on top of things. I don't do facebook but was able to see the picture. I wonder if it was operator error or equipment failure?
That's why I'm avoiding marriage until I'm into my 40s. Too much life I want to live lol.
Haha. You don't know what ur missin...
Well by that time they will be the same age roughly and a thorough inspection of their undercarriage will be in order.
I got married at 21, it's well worth it especially my kids are grown (under 18 still), my brother has a two kids under 4 years, I'm 39 he's 41
Wonder if the trucks had a little more power than could have made it up the hill easier?
That looks like maybe it could have been more the roadway or crossing could have been too light duty for the load. They moved some record weight large vessels here and just the trailers, not counting the trucks pulling and pushing had 832 wheels!
Married has little to do with sleepy at work. Was mid twenties and going Nuclear as to working Multiple jobs to make my Millions$ that not ever doled out. Been a tired ass since, not ever caught up. Was “Livin the Dream”.
I'm 53 and my daughter is 14. It was tiring when she was small. Went to work on little sleep many times. Now I worry if she will make good choices. Snow removal. And sweeping at night messes with my sleep. I'm not a nap kinda guy, so a lot of times I'll work all night, be awake all day, then work all night again. I knew a guy during my short trucking career. He was always pushing pills. Said he never took pills until one night he drifted off and woke up to a horn, and he was crowding a car into a concrete barrier. I was trying to get home on no sleep. There is a section of road we traveled. Cuts of a lot compared to staying on the highway. It's narrow, dark, and full of sharp turns steep hills and moose. 2 hours of nothing. I was falling asleep. I spaced out on a hard hill, didn't know where I was, and stopped. I I had 68,000 pounds of drywall on. I tried to start off on the hill a couple of times, but she kept lifting the front up, and I knew I was going to break something. So I turned on my bunk lights, and started to back down the hill in the dark. Made it to a flatter area where I could start off. I can still hear the fan roaring. I pulled over at a set of load liners. I was only another hour from home, but I knew I wouldn't make it. It was around 4 in the morning. I shut the truck off. Figured the wood haulers using the load liners would wake me. Never kicked until almost 2, and that's just because it was so hot in the bunk, I was soaked.
5 things to know about alleged bribery scheme allowing unqualified truckers to hit PNW roads Regulators shut a truck driving school in Washington, but it's still active in Oregon. www.oregonlive.com
WTH???
It only took you folks 15-20 years to catch up lol. That crap was going on in Vancouver back in the mid-2000's.
Related. Actually that's not much to brag about--it just says Vancouver is more conniving.
Its my least favourite part of BC. I avoid the whole lower mainland like the plague.
That's a crappy situation. I was a little sleepy just driving home yesterday and stopped for a cup of Joe. It took us way off the road but I had to do something. This was in my little Beetle. I looked over at my wife and she was blinky too so that was not going to work. I worked nights on a paving job on I-5. I was doing OK with it, but one night I worked 16 hours getting ready for a concrete pour and I was trashed. I had to try and sleep in the heat of the day in my car at a rest stop. Then go home for another worthless nap, then back to work.
Part of the reason I miss my clapped out old truck. It rattled, it wandered and it was loud. Driving it kept my mind occupied and I could burn a whole tank of fuel and still be attentive to the road. My newer truck I have to stop and walk around every hour or so.
the getting out and ritual of getting the coffee straightened me out before I took a sip.
How many drivers are we talking about? Washington regulators identified 877 drivers tested by Hodson between April 2023 and Sep. 15, 2024, 822 of them from Skyline. Citing the expense involved and potential hardship on drivers, the state said it only selected 143 of those drivers for retesting. Of 74 drivers who eventually retested, 80% of them failed. Others never scheduled a retest within a 47-day window established by the state. Regulators eventually pulled the licenses of 110 drivers, 102 of them from Skyline, but admit they can’t be confident they identified all the drivers potentially involved. Why would they care about the potential hardship on drivers if 80% of them shouldn't be driving? When one of those they didn't test kills someone who's going to be at fault? This is some serious ********, they should all be tested. Joe H
I'll agree with that, but what about all of the people across the country driving RV's with air brakes 40' long---no tests for them. There are millions of people just driving cars that shouldn't be on the road plus more than likely would fail a test. The only reason this even made the news was the graft involved, otherwise it wouldn't be as sensational.
You can't learn that stuff in a short lived class. Same as equipment. All they can do is give you the basics. I drove truck before I even had a car license. I used to shunt trailers, plus my dad was a t+t so I learned the mechanics of it. It's one thing to run around a pre planned route with an instructor, it's quite another to hit down town Boston. You should start out as a delivery van driver and work up.
Most rich people with diesel pushers or even expensive cars are about the worst drivers. However, I just took an airport shuttle from a hotel and wanted to punch the driver. We were sitting at the back and he didn't slow down for speed bumps. Actually hit so hard I came up off the seat. Just killed by back that's held together with bond cement. He drove like he was in a race.
Some people just shouldn't do certain things including driving or operating equipment. Heck some people shouldn't use simple hand tools!
I have a friend t I have a friend that can't stand to have someone in front of him on the road. He can drive for hours at a constant speed. But as soon as he sees another vehicle in the distance, he will speed up until he catches and passes them. I find too that the cops seem to ignore speed unless it's me. Someone could pass me on a solid line, but the fuzz would get me for driving a little fast
True--but years ago there was no class, it was all based on apprenticeship whether it was farm, construction or freight companies. With nothing more than a owner of a class eight vehicle signing the waver form to take a written test only, no driving tests. Driving tests only started in 1993 IIRC. But with that said in those days a driver relied on written directions, today punch in the address with a combined truck route. Plus population, freeways weren't as crowded nothing was, there were real truck stops, you talked to dispatch holding a phone with cord and a pocket full of quarters & 800#'s. It cost me $10.00 to take the written test in mid 70's, now it's a major business created to make money and cause people to think it makes the industry safer. What makes the industry safer is the mindset of the individual behind the wheel before he/she decides to become a driver.
I got my CDL at the union school when it was in White Swan. It was about 1993 They had an international cabover tractor and a 48' flatbed. The course was go drive all over the gravel roads and pads on the site, back up here or there, all with no instructor. When they eyeballed you out there not looking too stupid, it was suggested you test. The instructor/tester met me at Lincoln Plaza in Yakima at 20th. I did a walk around, talked about what I knew, then I got in and could not get moving. We got out and found a failed aircan and caged that brake and got going. I really don't know if that was a setup or what. I was nervous and over-revved for a bit and then settled down. We did city streets out to the freeway, exited and found the warehouse district. He had me do some backing but did not ask me to back a dock. The finale was some really narrow streets and into the back side of that lot. I negotiated the full road turns at 4 way stops and got us there. The one thing he marked me down on was not cancelling the signal after exiting at 16th Ave and highway 12.
Other than RVs don't weight what a truck does, if they knew 80% would fail they certainly owe it to the public to get those drivers off the highway. Isn't that their job, safe roads? Joe H
Like I said before--I agree. * But an example--my old place of work is where a CDL contractor performs his testing, about two to three times a week with as many as 2 - 6 to test each time. He was a dispatcher for my old employer some 30 years ago. Plus was the CDL instructor for Walla Walla Community College for 9 years. He's a by the book examiner he fails about 35 to 40% and usually does the second test also. A very even tempered sort, I've only seen him lose his cool one time. Students get three try's, a backing exorcise the person failed miserably the third time. I also was told by him that his testing days are logged with the state, and could be under surveillance on a testing day. So obviously someone in that area of DOL wasn't doing their job with the contractor in Arlington, or maybe they were, it just wasn't reported as such. But I will ask him the next chance I get in coming weeks. * And my experience with Wa. State CDL examining when the term CDL became the name for it in 1993. Everyone nation wide had to retake a written with the moniker {Only The Best Will Drive}. Didn't matter how long you had a {Chauffeurs License--old name} you had to take the written. I took the written and scored a perfect {100} at the DOL in Ellensburg. About two weeks after I tested I got a letter from Olympia DOL asking if I would be willing to give driving tests on weekends, there were two other that I knew got the same letter because of high score. The reason was the state didn't have near enough personnel to give driving exams. For a whopping $45 in pay, I said yes I would. I only tested one guy--that failed the written test three times, reason was he couldn't read or write {illiterate}, he drove by his nose. Now this guy {and I won't mention his name} had in the area of 4.5 million miles on him accident free. His family owned a hay hauling company that hauled allot of timothy hay south to race horse ranches and Santa Nita race track. He drove a cabover Mack Cruise Liner truck/trailer all over the west coast. The state took his license which was his lively hood, his wife hired a damn good lawyer. Filed a law suit claiming discrimination because he couldn't read or write with the state. Saying the state would have no choice but give him permanent disability for their actions plus it would be a jury trial. The state relented. So on a Saturday morning I was to give the test. There he was with his Mack puffing on a cigar. I told him, listen to me, don't look the direction of DOL office, start your walk around and point to everything your talking about on the truck, once inside the cab I gave instructions of where to go. We hit the freeway for the west bound exit 106. Pull into the Perkins restaurant, lets go inside. We sat down and I ordered two coffees and piece of pie for him. He looked at me and said {this is the g-d damn-est test}, eat your pie. I told him best I can remember {I'm testing someone who has way more miles than me or probably in a 500 mile radius. And my job is to get your license back, there's nothing wrong with your driving, if there was you would have ticket rap sheet 3 miles long. Let's go. The state office was not happy because I gave him a 98 for a small item on walk around. So big question folks, how many of you have given a state drivers exam? And should the state in this mans case denied him his lively hood because he had trouble reading and writing? How many make it out of high school these days with a 9th grade level. Never mind my misspelling.
The answer is no.
As long as a driver can read street and speed limit signs and know what the symbols mean on non verbal signs should be all that's required as far as understanding the road rules. How they drive is the most important! I've road in cabs and it's amazing some of them have a license let alone a license to drive a taxi. I bet there are a lot of drivers who came from poorer households or farms that have trouble reading but are excellent drivers. I got really pi$$ed off when I went to get my motorcycle license. They want you to wear an ear piece and they follow you in a car telling you where to go. Even at full volume (which wasn't that high) I said I can't hear it well enough. Add some road noise and the sound of my 2-stroke RD350LC and it's even harder to understand what he was saying. They said I had no choice. What if someone was deaf?? So off we went. I could hear some things and basically looked in my mirror to see his turn signals. On a side street with no traffic at all I couldn't understand what he was saying so pulled over. He went ahead and came back the other way. I was stopped like I was parked and turned to follow him. Then I heard him loud and clear to go back to the DMV. He said you failed, you did a u-turn on the street. I said I was completely stopped and told you from before we started I couldn't hear you good enough. I went to a smaller city and got my license. It was a pain as well but I passed. If I hadn't because I couldn't hear and got a ticket for not having the proper license, damn right I would have went to court and fought it as well as having to use an ear piece as the only way to get your M/C license. I passed all the slow speed and hills tests at the DMV. Using an ear piece is asinine!
All good history, these days in MO to go to DMV for driving test figure will not ever pass. Something is up where if want a CDL you are ‘Directed’ to a local Education Course usually around $1000-$1600, after which the DMV driving test is Waived yet still costs same as to securing License. Are no Driver Ed Courses at any state schools, a few Parochial schools still have them, kids are somewhat taught by parents and generally the bad or wrong ways then go take written exam after pass then move to repetitive driving tests, fail Four times and are again directed to a sponsored school to be Taught, after which license is arbitrarily issued.
I got my CDL without taking a test. Well it was before CDL's It was for a class 3 I think. I had a road test setup, but it snowed that day and I had to plow. My permit ran out so I went to DMV to renew it. Looking at the paperwork, if I didn't show one sheet, they would give me a class 3. I handed my stuff in without that sheet and got my class 3. At renewal I thought they caught me. My motorcycle license wasn't on the renewal. When I asked to have it back, they said somethings wrong. They were on the phone to Albany for a long time. Girl comes back and said it was just a mixup here's your license.
I got dinged on the walk around. For not describing how the landing gear worked and how to stow the handle. I took my test in 1993 with a low bed. No landing gear on that but it was my only negative. Diving test was just going around some narrow streets and how to block 3 lanes in a narrow intersection. lol
Vermont there are now rules you must take a course to get a CDL. I believe there are other ways to do it. Cassella for example, is a big employer of CDL drivers, they have a lot of turnover. If you are at the DMV, you see a steady stream of new employees arriving for CDL test. Many of these people can't tie their shoes. It has been a number of years now. DMV pulled every trick in the book, making the process difficult. You take the written test alone. In my case, I was told no medical card was needed if in state. I arrived for the test. He asked for my medical card. I said I was told I didn't need one. "Who told you that?" he asked. "You." I replied. "Well, the law is changing in a few months, we are enforcing it early." You must have an acompanying licensed driver with you to test. Next appointment he failed me on the pre trip inspection. I failed to inspect the trailer landing gear & headboard. I replied the trailer has neither. "You need to mention it lacks them." he said. Also I failed to inspect the windshield. Next appointment, they had no record of my appointment, said I'd have to reschedule. Last trip my accompanying driver dropped out, he'd had enough. Said he had let registration on his truck lapse. I scrambled to find another driver willing to go with me. In all, I made 5 trips with a borrowed truck, trailer, and imposed on a CDL driver to accompany me. When I finally was allowed to test, it was uneventful, I passed. I felt he was deliberately frustrating me, hoping I'd give up. As the new law requiring school to get a CDL was scheduled to change things, I pressured my son to get his CDL. We arrived at the test facility with my truck & a 10,000 LB GVWR trailer. We had a new test guy, who looked at the nameplate on the trailer. It is 10,000, the law says "Over 10,000 LBS." He made us unhitch the trailer before the road test. Seth passed, but had to reschedule another test to get trailer endorsement. He later borrowed a truck to test again to get manual transmission endorsement. That was an interresting truck 210 HP & a ten speed transmission in a heavy duty tandem dump. You shift constantly!
Worry over some actual admitted failed cdl drivers. When the possibility all 80% failed are actually using the license, probably more like 30%. People doing there job? there isn't a state entity in any state that works perfect, that goes for city, county & fed. Not going to have perfection, and there will always be grifters and crooks. * Just how many physicians do you suppose that are operating in the country that shouldn't have a license, you hear less worry over that than cdl's.
I suspect every state tolerates auto drivers who shouldn't be on the road. Enforcement is more rigid for trucks & drivers. I see 20 year old mini vans with broken windows, three donut spares, filthy kids hanging out the holes where windows should be. Try any of that with a truck, first offence is whopping fines.
I ended up missing the top step when getting out of the truck at the end of the test lol.
3.4M views · 12K reactions | Hello Mr josh #excavator #operatorexcavator #excavatrice #technology #cranes #reelsfb | Excavator Machines Hello Mr josh #excavator #operatorexcavator #excavatrice #technology #cranes #reelsfb www.facebook.com
That's overloaded for sure. I had the back of my 4 ton Hino lift off the ground loading my track loader one time. Is much better with supports under the back of the trailer. Even some boards would work but there should be at least a 3 ton hauling the dozer in the video above.
Trailer ramps need a foot that extends forward of the top of the ramp. I've made the mistake of loading without chalking ALL wheels on truck & trailer. In one case the truck, trailer & backhoe rolled down the road with nobody driving. Spring brakes on an airbrake equipped truck only stop rear wheels of the truck. Electric brake trailer offers no braking action when parked. My "new" trailer has ramp feet that extend under the rear of the trailer. They are tall enough it often requires me to back the truck several inches to get the ramps down all the way. Likewise have to inch the truck ahead a bit to fold up the ramps when the trailer is loaded.
Some of the well service rigs I've driven had a "well brake" switch installed, it's very handy as it puts air to all the brakes including the front do when you are putting jacks down and the rears come off the ground the truck doesn't roll as I've had it before and many of these trucks only have one axle park brake. I might look into putting one on my rig and I would think it would be handy for loading trailers and such. I've also taken a pony tail holder and tied the electric brake controller to full brake (at 0) so I'd have tail lights on the way home, you have to redo it about every 10 minutes, so I don't think you can get electric trailer brakes to work unless they are the juice kind.
I've had the truck and trailer start rolling when loading. It scares the crap out of you because there's nothing you can do to stop it immediately.
It's why I said in another thread {6 yards in the box}. On tankers it's mandatory for years to be fitted with {brake spoons} on each camlock male connection point, truck can't be moved if there is a hose that's still connected. And tank farms have a tendency to do a roll check-of each spoon.
I loaded this skid steer the other day & the rear axle of tractor lifted enough to skid along ground for a couple of feet…I always chock pickup; didn’t think this truck would lift! Lesson learned!
All reasons for trailers with air brakes, only takes once.
If the truck and trailer starts rolling while you’re loading there’s only 2 things you can do to stop it. Get on the trailer with the machine or get off. Staying in the place that lifted the rear of the truck ends very badly.
If your truck and trailer started rolling/sliding away while loading, you did something wrong. But it usually only happens once……
You don't realize there's no brakes holding the front wheels.
It can happen suddenly and it's hard to react fast enough to know what is the best thing to do to stop it. Probably best to carry some larger blocks for the front wheels and to put under the back of the trailer.
The way to go is air, with the spring brakes on the trailer set it's not going anywhere. That being said with a properly set up [light] trailer for hauling machines, with a proper [pickup] truck and some basic common sense you can load and unload all day long without drama, danger or chocks . . .
Trailers built for air brake trucks are usually air brake built. Those built for juice brake trucks are usually electric brakes. A trailer for 20,000 LB load will be electric. For 40,000 LB load might be air brakes. No big problem to chalk the wheels.
Up at the property yesterday day there was a young man with a really nice 70 horse Kubota tractor mower. He was mowing the other two acres that were sold at the same time as our four. Since he was there I asked if he would mow mine and how much. I'm standing around while he's unloading and he gets out a jack stand and puts under the tail of the trailer and he puts a block behind the wheel and he says don't laugh at me for all this stuff. He said I learned all this the hard way. I didn't know anything. He didn't grow up on a farm like most of us and didn't know how to tighten up the three-point and he said he'd go around corners with a mower deck up in the air and it'd just be swinging wildly cuz he didn't have it tightened down. I told him do whatever you need to do. There's no fun taking a ride. Rather timely for the posts above .
I see tractors all the time transported with no chains to secure them to the trailer. Especially common among warriors buy a mini excavator, or compact utility tractor, haul it in a dump trailer behind a pickup. Every now & again I hear of somebody losing one. Brings to mind years ago a small scale excavator. He was a one man operation, hauled his equipment with no chains. One day he was going down a hill, gravel road, washboards. Dumped his bulldozer into a brook.
Another old picture of mine popped up today. The old 84 White hauling 6000 gallons of water, 500 gallons of chemical, pulling the drag wagon 01 chevy, dragging the bumper pull trailer, hauling the 2013 CanAm. Was a 45 mile move between fields with one town of 10,000 in the middle. When there's only one guy you make it work so you can get back to work. This was from fall of 2016.
Hopefully all on backroads at a slower speed.
Havre Montana is rather desolate IIRC.
Farmers seem to be able to get away with anything lol.
Exempt from allot of things, note I said things.
And Nationwide
Everyone is concerned about the trailer lifting up, what about towing 25,000+ lbs behind an F150?!?! lol On a side note, got stopped by DOT for the first time in my pickup and got an overweight ticket. Was towing my U48-5 Kubota behind my 2019 F250 on a 15K trailer. It looks heavy for the truck, and it is, but everything is rated for the weight. I rarely (almost never) tow this with my pickup, but thought everything was kosher, was under weight for all the axles, coupler, tires, tow rating on the truck, chained down 100% by the book, etc. Totally forgot about just having regular 10K plates on the truck. Got a ticket for being 11,600lbs over weight on my registration. Went ahead and forked over the money to put 22,000lb plates on the truck, hopefully they will dismiss it. Interesting side note, being under 26000lbs I'm not sure what DOT's jurisdiction covers as I was not a CMV. They had a local state trooper write me the ticket (not the DOT officer) and it was for the local county general traffic court, not a state of VA overweight ticket.
Weight Rules still apply to ALL Weight Tagged machines. Several around here found that out the HARD way as well. My OLD F250 has 24k License and has had since 2008, will REMAIN Heavy Licensed until I am done with it. KW has 48 K License. L This next week will be 'Interesting' to say the least, MO DOT is to pull a "Blitz" week of HDT and combinations as to Inspections. When took off the Friday for the Park trip, left a List of Needs on the truck at Work, NONE of the Maxis' would hold even as Service brakes would, was just at due for brakes anyway so within a 1000 for the Service they did ALL that. Found the maxi Cans three were loaded with Collected dust/dirt/'Sand' and one had a broken spring. got ALL New with new auto Slacks, shoes and drums. Will be giving the little Monster a Bath likely Tomorrow for the week, get as much as possible Cleaned OFF, less for the DOT Boys to drag thru to See anything, makes for a shorter Inspect time.
A lot depends on the DOT officer. Some will give you 24 hours to correct something but most don't. I got a ticket for not having the GVW numbers on a 1 ton pulling a 45 HP tractor. Everything was properly chained and nothing overloaded. One guy was telling me everything was good and the other dick comes over and gives me a $150 ticket. He was guessing how heavy it was but wouldn't listen to me when I said I asked at DMV and all they said was the truck and trailer need to be registered together. Nothing about having numbers on the side of the truck. Considering that everything was properly secured and there was no risk of problems, they could have have given me a day to get numbers on the truck. If the DMV can't inform you what's required maybe they need to get themselves educated so they know the rules and can pass it on to their customers. That's how most businesses operate. There were no booklets to read explaining all the rules either. How is someone supposed to know if they can't get the info from the DMV?
Weights, lengths, heights, widths will be tested constantly by every generation that comes into a business or not, and ignorance will be pleaded about the rules in most cases, will never change, a constant.
@Truck Stop the bridge you posted with the crane damage got challenged by Jerome Jefferson in 1980. We got chased out of our logging landing on Raven Roost and had to buy firewood logs to keep going. He had this massive load of dry logs, did not weigh much and he stacked in on too high to get under that bridge. He decided to test fit it. No go. He got caught *BACKING* away from it and around the corner on I-82, trying to back all the way to N 1st and figure out another route. I do not know what they did to him but it was not enough, That guy was a knucklehead.
The second he pulled me over and started scrutinizing my registration it was an 'Oh ****' moment and I realized my error. I just put the standard non-weighted tags on the truck the DMV gave me and thought nothing of it. Same as I've been running on every pickup for the past 20-25yrs and never had a problem. My IH 4700 is tagged at 40K gross and the LT9000 is at 54K gross so I know all about weighted plates, just didn't think about them for my pickup. The part that bothers me is I try to know the laws, keep my stuff in good order and go by the book and I still get hassled by DOT. Meanwhile the guys like that F150 towing a dozer somehow get away with it 99% of the time....
Not all the time, DOT catches plenty of end running J Birds around here regularly. * But my only ride is the company tow truck. Unlike most fixed load regionally operated vehicles, it's licensed for 48 states as fleet prorate. I carry all standard paper work and permits plus anything over a 100 as the crow flies I run a paper log and trip envelope. I don't bypass or do a drive-by like most towing outfits do, I cross the scales because I have nothing to hide, and they don't bother me.
The tag for the pickup is just the weight on the pickup, did you have 3000#+ tongue weight?
MO tags have to cover all the load, truck and trailer
We are fortunate in VA things are fairly simple if you stay in state. No DOT numbers, no lettering of any kind required on the trucks, no FMCSA inspection, no med card, logs (within 100mi), etc. I shouldn't complain too much, in some states the DOT is pretty brutal with their enforcement and interpretation of the laws.
Same here in AL. Truck has to be tagged for combined weight of the truck and trailer.
Just pickups used commercially right?
Same in VA. On weighted tags your registration has GVWR (given by the MFG) and Gross Weight, which you can set at anything you want as long as it covers your entire truck/trailer. If you are over either, you can get a ticket. For example my IH 4700 has a GVWR of 25,500 and tagged at a GW of 40,000. Lets say I'm hauling something on just the truck, and it's over 25,500 I can get a ticket for being over GWVR (and axle weight ratings, etc), even though I'm tagged for 40K. It's tagged at 40K to cover trailer towing.
All trucks as long as they stay in state and are not HazMat, VA is one of the few that don't require it. No lettering at all on my IH 4700 or LT9000. Only trucks you see at the quarry with USDOT #s are the big companies that work in other states.
Interesting. AL is pretty lax with the DOT rules but not that lax. Here we didn't need a DOT # or lettering on our pickups but when I bought the L9000 had to letter and get a DOT #. We have to have FMSCA inspections on all trailers and trucks including pickups if used commercially.
Here in BC, if I interpret correctly, a pickup has a commercial plate. If you are pulling a car trailer, or travel trailer, the weight rating is is on the trailer insurance. If you have a ” flat deck trailer”, the weight rating is on the pickup.... not sure how the dump trailers are set up. My flat deck trailer is built for 10k and a car trailer is only rated at 7k (metric now, don’t know the exact numbers). I still keep out PU insured for 14k as the combo is more than my unit weights with my tractor on the deck.
Tags always carry the weight tied to power unit.
In Missouri you have to have weighted plates personal or commercial
Is almost a joke of that here, locals driving Ton trucks with 12,000lb Local only plates do not ever get pulled over or fined even if outside the L limit miles, 1/2 tons with 6k plates same no matter what are doing with either. Having a Gooseneck hauling Farm I really would not ever get pulled over save the fact I have gone into Il or Ok with both, did not want the grief. MSHP has not the manpower to present against all non conformals. They even dropped the Name/address requirement labeling on licensed machines over 12k. MoDOT enforcement Blitz will stop any and all weight tagged, they as well will free release without inspection those ‘Personal’ machines. Looking for Hot Shotters, un-inspected commercial units As well inspecting paperwork and trucks. Did get stopped a few weeks back just after delivered sand to a Highway Contractor site, was looking as to a Records Inspection Only, knew where the binder was, had my Daily Insp form and load tickets all organized, presented License and Health card, was done in Ten minutes. He was pleased, noted had parked several that day for out of hours or bad records control or availability. Turned in Insp Form to boss, also Pleased. Luckily did NOT insp truck/trailer, knew I had some Maxi Can issues on trailer, those are all corrected currently, along with fresh brakes. Do not appreciate junk or badly managed equipment.
Its all a money grab anyways.
We have yearly state safety inspections for all our vehicles in VA, the big trucks you can either get the regular inspection or FMCSA, but don't need both. However, our state insp are around $20 for cars/light trucks and $50 for anything over 26K.
Farmers are only legally exempt for a couple of things. (Different issue than how it's enforced) But from the lic and the inspection. Many seem to feel it makes them exempt from the rest but it doesn't. They are liable for tires and lights like everyone else. Farmers are poster cases for having annuals I know one that it was an issue during a fatal but it had sticker and was managed by the driver. Having it is really critical in accident. Broads with horse trailers are really bad. No trailer brakes and brakes working part time on one truck wheel.
So I look up and a wreck, bout. 77 f100 comes skidding in the drive, one wheel skids ss she is trying to make the turn on flat ground. Says she hears I do welding. I had to see this, crawls across to get out. Rust falls off right there. Lights busted exhaust leak. Bumper falling off and wired on. Wants me to weld on drop hitch so she can hook 4 place horse trailer to this. I suggested that maybe this ain't really a tow truck and she starts telling me, I can't afford etc. I kind of went off , I said , you can afford 4 horses and can head down a freeway several hours to a show. I scratch the plate number in the dirt, she says what you doing and I said. I am going on to call the state police now.
Seems to feel cause she "can't afford" a better truck all that doesn't apply.
Guy I use been around a while and says , you are a guy should get the sticker. You pass, no reason to avoid it.
Past experience has told me to just avoid most women who own horses lol.
Horse haulers around here seem to run nothing but the best/expensive stuff. * Farmers every now & then get caught hauling grain from elevators with mingled grains from several different farms, once mixed with grain from other farms it becomes a commercial transport. Last year DOT caught a rig locally with bunks and a load of logs running farm plates. Allowed 10% over weight on field hauling but they do check and nab a few. The thing about FHWA inspections, if it's on the truck and any trailers plus equipment is kept in a orderly fashion with good rubber DOT doesn't bother. But if a bad visual it probably will get stopped. Clean orderly equipment gives off a better vibe with DOT.
That's true. Here in Western WA, they have a perennial emphasis on 1 ton towing mini ex or skid steer. Odds are they don't have the tonnage or equipment or whatever. I got stopped and inspected at Brady doing a job, and the next day another guy came out to do it again. I pointed at the sticker from the day before.
The horse haulers here have really nice & (expensive…) trucks and trailers. Last trip home from up north saw over 20 horse haulers headed home from horse shows, almost exclusively high end equipment.…must cost a fortune!!
Same here on the horse wagons. F450 Platinums with very nice tri-axle horse trailers. Whole rig is probably pushing 35K+ LB GCWR or more with just a regular tag on both.
I have a couple with farm plates and they look decent and I touch up a little so they don't get that second look. I avoid busy places when I can and I do and keep tanks full so I don't HAVE to stop when inconvenient or have equipment on. Was after hrs a while back so I figured to fuel up and standing there and truck police follow someone in. Saw him giving me a Look see and know he spots farm plates. I thought ok,,, have never been stopped in a truck but he drove by slow and sure could see steer tires a guy could measure with 25 ft construction tape then he spots the annual,, off he goes. Empty bed didn't hurt but it looks right.
Old,, but they don't even get a blink from cops. I don't hit the hiway with the tractor/trailer combo. Backroads and common when and where and never run in to the man and deputies don't even seem to notice.
Just completed Truck Wash, rims will be Dust Loaded tomorrow so they got rinsed, cab washed. Trailer had two broken and one close so got three Tarp Swing Bow bolts replaced. Quick Walk around lighting/ tire thump inspection and all Good.
I also fix a trailer yesterday. even though its lo0cal and most get the farmer screwit we stopped and fixed something, left enuf time for it when prepping. I hate towing anything with lights not working right and it came back with damaged plug and proof why the new LED lamps are soooo much better.
I know a couple guys been in trucking forever and still cant manage to keep 4 wires and 2 lamps working further than 50 ft. I saw a duo the other night 1/2 hr past dark on 2 lane dirt backroads trying to get home with 2 overladed trailers and not a light on them.
There was a woman that stole around 20 million from a city over around 10 years, she had over 300 horses
agree there is top of the line horse stuff and a lot of it is easy to see. For everyone of those there is a dumb bitch tending bar somewhere or working fast food to buy enuf oats to feed a couple nags. I am not dealing with them, in the ditch, missed a turn on 25 year old bald tires trying to make it to the hiway they gonna turn it up to road speed. Its one of those amazes me aint more killed. At least the big RV crowd has money to fix tail lights, hardly see any big rigs with worn tires.
They usually have a spare,,, with air in it. I saw a horsey headed on a road trip with cords showing on steers on a pickup, 10K trailer hooked to it, bitch in a cowboy hat, ask me if I wanna date,,, the steer tire did it for me, I escaped.
Not all but a good number of horse owners are the cheapest, tightest people you would ever meet. I did some work for a guy that was on the Canadian equestrian team... ooh big deal. I was doing some work at an MX track and he wanted me to stop that and come and do his job right now. He wanted some packed manure cleaned out of a pen and then spread to build up a low spot in his yard. There was some sod dug up too. I went to the bottom of the manure and he complained I went too deep and it won't drain. He said he wanted the manure gone so I went down to the solid base. Then he complained I didn't spread it nice and smooth (like topsoil). I said nobody can spread sod and lumps of material super smooth. Just a total self important cheap jerk! I've also talked to farmers that hate dealing with horse people. They don't want to pay full price for hay and then expect the farmers to deliver it for the same price. One farmer I know said he won't deal with horse owners unless they show up with a trailer and bring cash for the going rate. Women do seem to be the cheapest of horse owners. They don't understand there was a lot of work to make those good bales of hay.
If a real farmer or biz guy has been taking it up the chute from dealers then we should seem like a bargain. I agree there is something special about those horse types and I dont go looking for them either. I have done some sales in various positions and some fruit market sales which is close but not quite a waitress. Some people notice the work, I notice the difference if I am up on my feet and in front, We make a lot of assumptions and I found out the stereotype can often be wrong,,, as a group its probably accurate but individuals are totally unpredictable and never know who really has a roll in the pocket and who is a buyer. People value it different, have seen a lot of elderly women that accept the raise, they been seeing it go up for so long its normal. Men been at work. Working people value the service. They live in now.
The more pretentious the worse, Luxury car and big jewels are not worth the effort. *0 yr woman in a 10 yr old Buick that wants to make jam spends and sometimes I feel them up about how they feel about pricing and they are less shocked than I am. I have some work for me make agguysition deisions, I am involved in it too and we micro shop if it saves mechanic wages. If I can wait a day to save 100 or 2 then I will have a coffee and peck here a bit. Some stuff my helper knows what I want, some we look, had her get shoes, said I only got 1 pair and you dont wanna know. I can go a long time without going to the store. Was a while back I finally went to the city to a couple stores and was shocked, I musta not been in a Walmart or Home Depot for couple years. I spent a couple yrs rooting out the salvage from my own place that was worth much.
My Bud divorced a horse type. Was married 20 yrsm she might have had a couple kids and they had a couple and he said, love my wife but just cant keep on feeding horses till the end anymore. Richer or poor they often have some same traits. Cat women the same way, scrape and eat cereal cause they got to buy cat food.
Had some trust fund types finally figure out they couldnt afford to live here, it wasnt enuf, they got some big bills. 2 new cars, nice ones too and one about 4 yrs old they hire a driver for to take Jr to some upscale school 90 mins away and sit while he eats dirt and learns to read. 8 hrs a day and complain how much that all cost. They were "horse" people too.
Typical scenereo: People come from away, buy an old house needs to be torn down, but it has acreage. They may, or may not haggle about the cost of rebuild. A house that'd cost $500,000. to build new, they spend $750.000 to renovate. First year there they buy a $55,000 compact utility tractor with backhoe, loader, three point hitch, several extra hydraulic circuits. They build a second garage with three bays. The new tractor sits in the otherwise empty garage, paint is intact on the loader, backhoe bucket, box blade, lawn mower, bush hog, and endless other expensive implements. Meanwhile, the caretaker hauls in an endless stream of machinery to do the work a Vermonter wouldn't think needed. NO! THEY DON"T MOW THEIR OWN LAWN! If this goes on ten years or more, they are wealthy. If they leave in three years or less, they aren't wealthy. If the bank takes their property, they end up homesteading in a shack, they are old hippies.
We had a guy here to do some work, a 10k bobcat on a 16k trailer pulled by an older Ford F150 4 door crew cab long box with 6 people in the cab, shovels and tools in the back. MOT police got a call for that one and an audit of there fleet was the result.
No meth was involved in that at all, none at all....
While maybe not 'as bad' the towing company they hired surely wasn't legal either. Still no flagging, oversize load signage, no flag car, etc.
More like the officer said " please get this out of here ASAP!"
Most likely, but still not a good look. Also noticed the trailer only has one (grossly overloaded) axle remaining, probably originally had at least 3. Generally those older MH axles were only rated for 3000-6000lbs.
In these cases--a law enforcement tow is just that--cop wants it gone and justifies the removal asap. The tow truck had strobes or rotating, plus upon arriving he was probably figuring on a rather large travel type trailer. {Surprise} they can't and don't carry everything in every case. And I really doubt he wanted to tow it for the fact he probably will have a tough time collecting from tweakers.
It is not like they were ripping down the road at 80 mph. They may have been going 10 mph. Leave them alone. When I was on vacation in Belize, someone was towing a house (not a mobile home) down the road. They had no flags, escorts, flashing lights and still no one died in the process.
Out in the country, just going a couple miles down a back road, maybe. Going right through town, 4 lane highways, over railroad tracks, etc definitely not. What if they'd gotten it hung on those tracks and hit by a train?
There's illegal and then there's grossly illegal. A mobile home takes up at least 1 1/2 lanes. On a 2 lane road could be fatal for someone coming the other way around a corner or over a hill with no pilot vehicles.
My grandpa moved one 30 years ago with our big farm tractor at the time. He visited a lot of other farms to scrape up a truck load of mobile home tires, hauled our derelict mobile home to a dump site, and then picked up an almost new one to bring back to the farm. He put an SMV sign on the back of the trailer and had an employee driving a farm truck in front of and behind him as he made the trip back to the farm. "Movers? No. We ain't paying no movers."
We are going to sell something that will be moved . The guys buying it are thinking about putting axles under it. It will be oversize . If I make out a sales receipt and make them sign it will that keep us from being liable if anything happens when it leaves our land ?
HEF, part time law questions accepted. Lol I would imagine but fortunately, not an attorney, nor a cop.
As long as you can prove no link to ownership yes--it's there's free and clear of you with no chemicals/oils that can cause a spill. Waste oil is a example, your still tied to it while being transported if a accident occurs, right up till pumped into a stationary tank. * Thing about crud like this MH, is anyone ending up/stuck with it. Motorhomes left by homeless are a prime example. Towing companies at least in this part of the country want nothing to do with those. The whole thing becomes a hazardous material issue. Used needles, chemicals, mold, full holding tanks-some setting full years old. Zero scrap value. Drivetrains/tires worth nothing plus the labor expense of having it in a impound yard with mice/rats moving in. In many cases if law enforcement calls in a tow on a abandoned motorhome towing companies refuse. Running a towing company in many instances turns into a trash collection business for state/county/city. Plus if drug induced owners do show up to claim they get to deal with them.--Owning/running a towing business is full of fun stuff like this, a janitor with a winch.
My dad did stuff like that. Towed a big 30' wooden cabin cruiser with a CJ5 jeep. It was on a hay wagon type trailer. It had a long tongue, steerable tires in the front and no brakes. It swerved like crazy. Drove it right down the local expressway. He made it. He did many crazy things and never got in trouble.
Well....that train won't be harmed....but they will have to stop, and clog up the line, the roads, and forms will need filled out.
I have towed several. Tractors, service trucks and even pickup truck. Had a neighbor towed 60 ft one from Chicago to here,, 5 hr trip by car by itself. Used a Ford station wagon and burned tranny pulling in and hired my dad to finish setting it with a tractor. Then ,, they dug hole in back yard. Buried the car and shoved septic pipe in it.
I moved one with a tractor 2005 or so. It was on a crooked lot and I built a hitch for the 3point so I could raise and lower the front. It was a heavy sob. I pulled it a little over a mile to where I lived at the time, made it into a woodworking shop. The one in the video is in Joplin mo, a hour and half away from me, and the video doesn't surprise me at all.
MSN
Idiot hauling a BBQ bottle, leaking.
Try no bearings left. * 4.3K views · 26 reactions | That's too much camber | By 18wheelsofchrome | Facebook That's too much camber www.facebook.com
I would have liked to be a fly on the guardrail for this one.
A perfect example of a nonexistent equipment check, just looking at back side for oil thrown up doesn't cut it, oil needs to be visible in hub cover window plus putting a finger in to check for metal if it has a fill plug. Not a fan of hub caps, stops people from at least glancing. I have them on the tow truck but those get pulled and hubs checked regularly right along with tire psi. And a hub cover that oil level can't be seen is a write'em up violation--deemed defective equipment.
Looks like Spud has another one they’ll want rolled out in an afternoon….
Yeah well I went up to the shop to take a couple of final/finished photos of the Dodge 383 engine that I'm putting up for sale. And upon leaving yard got a nice overload of the day on a Ford 550 SD that belongs to a electrical/powerline contractor. Photos after 5 pm.
Now, I didn't get a real good picture because they just straightened out from turning corner. But 5--50' class 2 utility poles {asked neighbor, he works for REA} about 1,600 lbs each plus all the gear already stowed. And I'm guessing at a 550, so roughly 8,000 lbs not too heavy but way to heck over length. *
Posted in wrong topic
Still pretty much logs!!
No it was posted in correct topic---just typical contractor under the table.
What I meant is I had posted in here in error, I had accidentally posted the post about the 60's Chevy in here.
Coming back to yard yesterday on I-70 I came upon a F450, dragging a Tandem Dually Gooseneck 35? foot trailer, on it sat twelve 24"(? Maybe ) ID Bell and Spigot Concrete Pipe 8' Long each of ten strapped to the Floor with two atop the run of ten, behind which were two Concrete Culvert Entry Heads for the piping. Truck was running maybe 55, was SQUALLING so loud as I passed by I could hear it over the X15 in the truck I drive. No Pics, Not going to do that further, as really cannot here with Hands Free Laws.
Trailer was Bowed Down ahead of Axles. Best I could calc was around ton per pipe? which puts the load around 14-18 ton. But at least were strapped down.
24" RCP CL III - 1.1 TNS per stick 24" Headwall - 1.73 TN per EA https://www.foleyproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/B-WALL-PIPE.pdf https://www.foleyproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/03_05-HEADWALLS.pdf
Forgot the - "Hell yeah he was overloaded as ****!
719K views · 5K reactions | Following up on today's earlier Bee post...here is a video sent to me from the scene this morning!!!! Used with permission! More info here: https://www.facebook.com/WhatcomCountyWeather/posts/pfbid033ccBDKBFRpKdFDaKfJwVE Following up on today's earlier Bee post...here is a video sent to me from the scene this morning!!!! Used with permission! More info here:... www.facebook.com
My sons have dabbled in beekeeping. Younger son was terrified of bees. Phobia began at age 5 when he was attacked by a nest of wasps, 5-6 stings at once was enough for a child. Older son was very interrested, bought all the equipment, and the bees. During the first year of beekeeping, he was stung by a wasp, went to the hospital, a week later his face shrunk back to human size. His eyes were able to open most of the way a few days sooner. He gave his bees to his brother, who managed to overcome his fear. First honey harvest, Mrs. & I were invited. He took honey from three hives, went into the house to process. It took too long! I got bored. There were two big white pine trees dead 60 feet from the hives. As luck would have it, the first was utterly straight. I notched, then back cut. Absolutely nothing happened! Tree stood straight & tall. I headed off to the store to buy wedges. Meanwhile Zachary finished extracting honey, put the boxes out on the lawn, the bees would salvage the remnants. What he didn't know yet; bees are defensive of their honey. Three hives of bees, all harvesting honey, know their honey from another hive's honey. They will fight to death to defend theirs. On my arrival back from the hardware store the lawn was littered with dead bees. Those living were EXTREMELY agitated! I finished the tree felling wearing a bee suit. Mrs. has pictures.
Gayle, guy I worked in shop with, several of his relations ran apiaries. Some 30,000 hives at one time, now only a grandson is in the business. * DOT doesn't stop or inspect bee wagons, live hives or not.
You had mentioned that before. I wonder if that extends to things like rendering trucks? I saw the worst broken truck ever and it was a rendering trailer. In the summer. He was sitting alongside 167 with a cloud of flies and it had a broke back frame. Those poor bastages were scabbing it and welding underneath the ooze dripping out.
Absolutely--dead wagons are a no go near.
Maggot Munchers, Dead Animal Toters, Terd Tanks, ALL a NO GO EVER AGAIN work.
I was looking for a job one time and ended up at a trash hauling place. Guy was describing the job and we were walking around and he was explaining how they patch up the dumpsters and such. Never went back. Smelled terrible, can’t even imagine how bad when you weld on them.
Try working/welding on the machines IN the dumps. Crawlers, sheeps foot dozers. Gut wrenching.
No overloads here! Got stacks in the back to keep that exhaust cool, got 20,000 watts of CB punching power for brownshirt locates. Big power Cummins ready-to-roll... This guy was at the local grocery store, just getting supplies. He's not overloaded yet, but I'm gazing into my crystal ball....
Oh brother, with the totally original moniker on the door. double pew.
I see there is not a ball sac hanging from the hitch. Yet……
There's a oil well we would work on right next to a hog farm, man the smell was terrible and there was a house right next to the farm, how can you live next to that!
Yesterday at Biggs Junction 97/I84, UPS was stopped for traffic headed south. *
Happened because of grass fire combined with dust storm & too many people driving with heads up----. * 1 killed, 5 injured in two collisions on US 395 - Elkhorn Media Group CONNELL – Two separate collisions on US 395 Saturday, in the same location, resulted in ...Read More elkhornmediagroup.com
Overturn of the day: sharp turn on I-95 in Minneapolis has frequent rollovers. Before the curve, a picture-sign warning and speed flasher of rollover danger. Bruce
Have to be able to read while stuffing Lil Debbie Cakes in their mouths, TWO functions at Once, NOT Happening.
I-95 in Minneapolis?
Argument today, guy with Air between his ears wanting to justify NO CDL while driving a Overloaded truck. Was at Sand Plant, guy shows up with a Ton Dually, CAR License Plate(RV) and a Tandem Dumper trailer, wanted it 'filled'. Plant Loader said NO, cannot just Fill, cannot exceed License or Truck GVWR on Body tag, Legality issue. Guy is a nobody, rents some houses in town and needed landscape rock/Creek Rock for a job is working. Argued he would not be overweight to Auto license as is NOT weight rated. Tried to explain is NOT how it works. Spent close to ten minutes listening and interjecting then guy just drove off. He went to landscape supplier up the highway, and Yes they Loaded him as requested, little man in All White F250 with MSHP/DOT labels pulled him over less than a mile away from that yard, Truck and Trailer IMPOUNDED at Body Shop I bought my supplies from. CANNOT in MO haul with a RV license Plate, next up had Nine Ton in a trailer rated for Five, Landscape shop may also be in trouble.
Reality--he was just one of how many that got caught across the country in a 24 hour span. And how many got away with it?
Future pipeline welder just waiting...
This bothers me. He got away with what? He was going about his business not causing harm or loss to anyone else?
Must not have read DM's post. Overloaded, hauling with rv plates.
He's causing harm and loss to everyone else that uses the roads. The repair of the roads is funded partially by registration fees, so if he wants to haul, pay for the plates. The guys who are running without correct registration and overloaded, are just shifting costs to the guys that are running legal. If I have to pay for commercial plates, and have my truck tagged for the weight I am hauling, why shouldn't he? If you want to do away with weight registration, talk to your legislature, and change the law. Otherwise, pay your fine.
Or be like Truck Shop, follow the laws and have countless miles with a clean record.
A pickup with 24k behind it is not a good idea, will lead to deaths unless they are driving slow
He may be going about his business but what if someone you know happens to stop for a yellow light and the guy sees them too late? Then you’d be screaming about how he was overloaded for his brakes.
The difference is the "Do it yourselfers" or the hacks that fly under the radar that sneak by while guys like us that do this for a living in order to put food on the table have to play by "the rules" or we'll get a ticket or side lined. I am all for a small if almost non-existent government but that'll never happed so in the mean time everyone has to play by the "rules". This is the exact reason I don't do residential work and compete with the homeowner/part-timers who bought a machine to "work on the farm and maybe hire out" who have no business expenses or insurance premiums to pay every month.
I don't know what rides the HOTARD bus. But my mind sees it filled with rejected NFL cheerleaders, because they were too dumb. In bikinis.
I was a tad bit heavy coming out of the old Corliss pit at the bottom of the hill. The guy loading me thinks pea gravel is like topsoil or beauty bark, I guess. Now it is run by Heidelburg. I ran for it, all of 3 miles up hill. Shame on me.
You're wrong about the bikini babes, it's a real business. Group Travel from New Orleans to Biloxi | Hotard Coaches Travel in comfort with Hotard Coaches! Providing reliable charter bus service in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Biloxi, and Port Arthur since 1935. www.hotard.com
Don't be coming in here with the truth and facts. . I figured it was @Vetech63 new business after his wife throws him out of the machine shop.
Broken. *
First thought, how long was cracking ignored or failed to be located during inspections? Kind of like this lift axle for a Travis trailer, ‘But it just now broke!, Really’. Deeper inspections are occurring.
18K views · 219 reactions | They ain't worth a dime | By 18wheelsofchrome | Facebook They ain't worth a dime www.facebook.com
Seems to be a lot of this stuff going on lately, or the I Phone is responsible for being on the scene of fresh disasters. *
Wow. And I’m betting that’s a double frame!
I feel sorry for whoever has to remove it..... Ed
Seen this here in the Okanagan a few times where excavators did not have the boom/stick folded in tight and lowered to deck. Seems a very easily preventable situation…
I believe here in BC a requirement (alert to driver?) is now in place for those who ‘forget’ to lower box! Not sure how that would be enforced on our 1989 Iinternational. So old, no electronics!
they call that maneuver the "hood remover" Pchaw!
They more than likely cut the truck loose from it, supported box and cut a chunk out.
Video www.facebook.com
Where were the cones closing off that lane? I've done a bit of signal work as a contractor. Set-up for a task like that is close to an hour with all the required signage and cones. I can almost guarantee it wasn't the fault of the employer, it was just lazy "get 'er done quick" people in the field that didn't want to spend the time to set up properly. That was ugly to watch.
That happened on I-64, driver is 56.
Concrete guys NEVER overload their trucks….these guys were in a bad spot during heavy morning traffic, when I came back by, they had all the forms offloaded, and the truck looked like it put itself back together, some concrete ties and some rebar and it’s probably good to go… Not sure how they got it on a flatbed trailer to get it out of there.
That went SOUTH in a hurry.......
Truck?
Ugly to watch, guy in bucket saw it coming. Bet it felt ugly, could see him try and maneuver in the bucket but nowhere to go.
It's only one incident photo'd of how many each day that are never caught on camera. Ugly is society thinking it will never happen to them, all the while tailgating, breaking speed limits, because they are the chosen ones, nothing happens to them----until it does.
Saw it Yesterday on way home ahead and behind us. Idjit in a Honda 5-10 feet off rear of a box trailer semi, in no way could he know was back there, I saw a mirror first in left mirror then noted on a turn a Blue Green side of a car in Right mirror could not have been any further behind us at 70mph. Lots of oversize moving down road, loads of dumps, end dumps, rolloffs. All with hydraulic systems.
Cabbage Hill I-84 about half way down he is, I've run over this countless times, still do in the tow truck. And recently been seeing allot of tracks in the run away ramps. This has become more common as years go by. Trouble is if traffic is thick it causes panic in other vehicles. Their saying vine but it isn't. * Video www.facebook.com
Must be a common thing these days. On my way to shop this morning PocketNet was along the street pulling the same stunt.
Found this on the edge of our road tonite...Reese hitch adapter, small (like minivan) to class IV. Saying it was "dragging azz" was true....lmao Ed
Video www.facebook.com
My first thought was why did the camera car back up? The debris is pushed down the tracks. I would have gone past or taken what appeared to be a left turn. Chunks can be tossed 100s of feet. Big chunks weighing several hundred pounds. But, if they had done the smart move they wouldn't have caught it on camera for all of us to see.
Pretty well smoked his Job, the Rig and the Ex, all for likely cutting a Corner as to Route.
1971 I was on my ten speed headed to dishwashing job at the Husky House/Truck Stop, about 6:30 am. For some odd reason I took a different route, straight down Main Street to Canyon Rd and exit 109. As I got to intersection of Mt View & Old Kittitas highway I could hear the locomotive sounding the for that rail crossing. I came to a sudden stop just starring at what was about to happen. One of Herb Lym's mid 60's Pete loggers didn't stop for the rail crossing lights. In aw I watched as the loco made contact exploding the truck--it shot the 8V71 about 200 ft down the tracks. A few years later I met a kid in one of my classes, he was talking about his dad and the wreck. I didn't know Frank Fangbonner was his dad, I didn't tell him I saw it happen.
Was the trailer hung up on the crossing? I'm wondering why he didn't try to drive off the tracks. There have been times here when the railway crossing arms came down way too late. I remember my neighbors brother calling the railway to complain because the arms came down on his truck hood. He was far enough back the train missed him but there was no train horn or any indication a train was coming until the train was almost at the crossing. Scared him pretty good. If he would have been just a little further forward would have been hit.
He was at the Removable neck to either Jack it up Tighter or Dump it, Was hung up.
Too bad he couldn't have drove fast enough to drag the trailer across the tracks.
5.7K reactions · 500 shares | How would you react? #diesel #dieseltruck #dieselpower #dieselpowerproducts | Diesel Power Products How would you react? #diesel #dieseltruck #dieselpower #dieselpowerproducts. www.facebook.com
Somebody should jump in the truck and hold the brakes. Might be able to drive up on the deck and get the truck back on the ground. Blocking under the beavertail would have prevented the truck lifting but I'm not sure how big the dozer is. It looks bigger than a D3 or D4 size machine.
Look close and the wheels are chocked or at least blocked on the inside. With the perfect pitch of everything I start to wonder it it was posed. I guess I just have a suspicious mind.
I can't really see any wheel chocks. You only have to have that happen once to learn to block the back of the trailer.
I went with my father to pick up a Kubota he had bought. We have a double axle car trailer and it was only a 35hp machine. We took my 3/4 ton and my father hitched the trailer up, while I was getting the chains and the binders. The damn trailer hitch is one of those automatic latching ones. We got the 45minutes of driving out of the way and he went to load it on the trailer. When he drove up on the ramps, the whole trailer bounced up in the air and hit the safety chains. Evidently, it wasn’t seated over the ball. We had drove that whole way, with just the hitch, resting on the ball. There has been a 32 ounce Estwing framing hammer in my truck, ever since. That was 25 years ago. lol I still hate that hitch, now the lifting tab is broken off and you use the claw to pry it open.
Trailer I used to have had ramp feet supported directly below the upper end of the ramp. they also were simply hinged to the dovetail. It'd do it every time. Air brake truck would only lock rear brakes. Electric brake trailer doesn't lock except pull the tether switch. First loading on a gentle hill in front of my house was exciting! After that I chocked all wheels. Current trailer ramps have feet reach under the trailer, a double hinge mechanism allows ramps to bear fully on the road. Hitch lift is only as the weight is fully on the dovetail. Still chock all wheels.
1.2K reactions · 21 shares | Driver had one mission: don’t clip the siding. Instead bro went for the lawn, the curb, and probably someone’s flower bed That oversized load swung like a sword. No wreck, but them porch steps ain’t gonna be the same aga Driver had one mission: don’t clip the siding. Instead bro went for the lawn, the curb, and probably someone’s flower bed That oversized load swung like a sword. No wreck, but them porch steps... www.facebook.com
I don't think he was gonna make it around that corner even if he didn't snag the siding.
yeah. there is a route for that, and that was not the route.
Strictly a test run---The crew that corrects problems is on the way with a giant chainsaw, and demolition equipment---they specialize in straightening out corners, {sorry granny but we gott'a remove this corner of yours and the neighbors house.
***! Find out who picked that route and fire him after you publicly flog him. Asshat. Imagine the driver and looking at that corner?
think of all those little towns we have been through where the highway does a dog leg or a 90 in it. " Just go down SR549 it is a straight shot" Take 22 though Davenport to 28, this corner is easy. Meanwhile, our hero finds this on 22 in town before the easy corner A chainsaw or 3 can fix Harrington Park But I think he's going to be up shitz creek on Sherlock street. It is the perfect set up for a train trimming.'
I don't think I'd call it an overload. I wouldn't think anything of pulling that load with a Ford 8N. That little thing probably weighs about the same and has to have better brakes.
TikTok - Make Your Day
Colvin Hill in Danby VT is STEEP. That photo brings back memories of riding with my cousin standing on the tongue. The wagon was badly worn, the old Farmall H was too small for the steep hill going down fully loaded. Brakes were nothing to brag about if they had been perfect, I doubt those were perfect. I'd have crept down that hill in low gear, he was in high struggling to keep the tractor in front of the wagon. Magically, 55 years later we both are alive.
^^^ Experiences like that is what put hair on your chest. Alas, so many young men these days, will never have any hair. Think it started, when the cops showed up with your kid, because they were riding their peddle bike, without a helmet.
Caught leaving Iowa for Missouri, 24 violations including driver. *
I knew I should have just drove it.
Spotted on the way home today at the HD. Poor transmission in the SUV..
YIKES! The driver should be glad he got pulled over. About 100yds. away from catastrophic failure. Definitely could have killed people including himself.
That's probably a CVT transmission too.
What the heck is on the trailer under the tarp, furniture?
Doesn’t matter if it filled with styrofoam, that trailer in itself, is a heck of a load. It is hard to kill some of those CVT transmissions.
I think they are the local budget junk removers. See them parked there all the time. Kinda surprised HD lets them park there.
1.2K views · 848 reactions | Bahut bura hoea #volvo #crane #reels #viral #fyp #cranelife Sukh Raj Samra Lovely Shahabuddin Khan Aman Jahangir Kulwinder Singh Tung SK Dhariwal Nelson Manata Crane Torque Limiter Parts ਜਗਦੀਪ ਸਿੰਘ ਪੰਨੂ | Singh Sawinder Bahut bura hoea #volvo #crane #reels #viral #fyp #cranelife Sukh Raj Samra Lovely Shahabuddin Khan Aman Jahangir Kulwinder Singh Tung SK Dhariwal Nelson Manata Crane Torque Limiter Parts ਜਗਦੀਪ ਸਿੰਘ... www.facebook.com
Ooopsie!
Not an overload, but apparently an expensive overheight in my area. This happened this past Tuesday. Semi strikes US-131 overpass in Allegan County, closes freeway Southbound US-131 is closed from southern Kent County to northern Allegan County after a load on a semi hit an overpass. www.fox17online.com
Had to be an overload or it wouldn't have fallen over, would it? Story is was driving from one side of job site to other.
*** 14‘2” had to be way over height, to do that kind of damage. That’s going to be a very expensive insurance claim. Tards.
Obviously Booms UP, Bad JUJU!!
JUJUTards--have a positive side--create work and entertainment. Without them this thread wouldn't exist.
Saw that at work one evening (before you needed certification for cranes), welder had a vessel lifted onto the deck of the boom truck and was lazy. Moving it across the site, boom up and still attached to the vessel that was not strapped down on the deck and the vessel slid off the deck and took the truck onto its side. After that, only certified people could use any of the equipment on site.
Vessel won't fall because it's attached to the crane.....
So this one just blew me away . . . A 315 Next Gen with a blade, thumb and 1 yard bucket on a gooseneck behind a F 450 . . .
That’s outrageous! Wait a minute…with those hood scoops & oversize tires should be fine!
I noticed he has the blade up in the air and not chained down. That should reduce the weight by about 6,000 lb.
I think there are birds in the cab, the lift they provide lower the weight as well
Let’s not forget the transfer tank mounted on the gooseneck platform. That’s gotta be good for another 800lbs at least lol.
2025 F450 with gooseneck or 5th wheel good for towing up to 40000 pounds according to AI. Seems alot but that what it says.
Betcha could get it stopped, in a football field length!!
Don't know why they bother with 40,000 lbs rating, need to just jump it to 80K and get it over with, pickup the pieces later.
GVW doesn't matter if the tires aren't rated for the weight. The trailer also has a max. GVW. I hauled my track loader and backhoe on a tandem dually trailer behind a 4 ton Hino. The track loader and backhoe weigh about 22,000lbs. I didn't haul it more than half a dozen times but that 315 has got to be a lot heavier than 22,000lbs. and the truck is quite a bit smaller too.
Next Gen 315 starts at 34,000 LB before additions like the blade, thumb and bucket. Also looks like it has a QC as well. Then add in the transfer tank conglomeration. Add all those extras then combine the trailer weight and that load will never be within the truck's rated towing capacity. Had a 315DL that I pulled on a 54K tag behind a Mack tri. Very capable load with that setup and similar in weight to a 315 Next Gen. Whoever is running that contraption should be put under the jail before they kill someone.
I totally agree, figuring if is like the ones in my town--the laws are for everyone else.
I posted that the Ford 450 had a tow rating of 40000lbs. I was wrong. I got that info from Google AI. Now I went to www.vdm.ford.com and there it says F450 has GCVW 39000lbs properly equipped. My bad.
When I was truck shopping I found that a lot of those advertised “max payload/towing” numbers were for 2wd trucks with odd trim packages that most wouldn’t buy. Certainly not this lifted, oversized tire bro-dozer…
Not to mention I doubt those aftermarket wheels are rated anywhere near the trucks rate max towing or payload.
That was always a laugh "Whaddya mean I can't haul as much with them big arse tars?"
Problem with the Mental Midgets and huge tires is they pay NO Mind to load Ratings or recommended Inflation pressures, Softer ride at lower pressure is the game, been given crap over the tires and Steels on my Ford after I went thru it, was not Just being Cheap, but mindful it was to remain a WORK Truck.
The blade up comment reminded me of a mate who was pulled over for a load check. He was driving a fridge truck carrying vension during the Venison War in NZ. The DOT cop demanded that he open the doors which matey did. The cop blew a fuse when he saw how much he had on board. He wanted to weigh the truck and old mate refused told the cop in no uncertain terms that he wasn't overloaded because there were no carcasses on the floor. The cop gave up and let him continue the trip. Mate rang his boss told him what had happened. Before they uploaded they weighed the truck, 12.5 tons over. Became a legendary story on the West Coast.
That was my thought. I think that machine is closer to 37+ with the blade, thumb and coupler. The truck also had a lift and goofy off road tires, which dents the ratings further.
19.5 good to 3750# each
I bet the tires are full of hydrogen. That rig is lighter than air!
10K views · 18K reactions | Your first week on the road as a trucker , and this happened . . Follow me: @jakeclydetv . . #TruckingLife #OnTheRoad #TruckersLife #TruckingAdventure #BigRigs #HighwayHauling #TruckingCommunity #TruckersOfInstagram #Tru Your first week on the road as a trucker , and this happened . . Follow me: @jakeclydetv . . #TruckingLife #OnTheRoad #TruckersLife #TruckingAdventure #BigRigs #HighwayHauling #TruckingCommunity... www.facebook.com
OUCH!! Last Wednesday a Woody Bogler Dry Bulker was traveling N on MO 19, load of Calcium, not a overload but what happened was really wild. Driver was admittedly groggy, fresh asphalt overlay and reflective edge/center markers, he drifted to the edge of the road at Montgomery County route Y and the Highway Soft shoulder sucked the truck off the road and he stopped. Driver got out of the truck to see how to get it back on the roadway, was sitting precariously on a steep edge, it then while Running, rolled over and down the shoulder, mangled everything, truck then caught on fire. Big Spring VFPD put it out, Patriot towing arranged off load of dry Calcium and then the wreck.
I think that should have been at least a 1/2 inch bolt
I gotta get just one more under there... Wrench wrench SPROING!
What The mangled mass mess hell!!!
They should have at least used the shrink-type terminals.
Story is--it was found and photographed in the dash board of a 777.
DOT don't care about advertising # for capasity. if the truck has a gcvwr on the door sticker they use that otherwise they use gvwr + gvwr if in limits your good to go axle and tire width and bridge laws apply too. a lot of these photos I bet they actually are good to go
Oh boy, you're poking the bear.....
Yah good to go through the back of a mini van and kill a whole family. Just got into this with a friend about the towing capacity of his brandy new 2025 Dodge Ram 2500. It can tow this much he said. But can it stop it, I said. Dumb nuts has already wrecked 2 Chevy 2500 and 1 GMC 1500 that he put air bags and helper springs towing his 32’ Toy Hauler that’s had a leaky roof for as long as he’s owned it. It’s so water logged in the front, he can load 3 bikes in the back and it’s still got plenty of tongue weight. Doesn’t have trailer brakes and literally has roasted 2 trannys, one transfer case and blew a hole through a 6.0 block. Last 2500 had the 454 in it and it was going to be a cake walk to Sturgis. Came home from Illinois on a flat bed. Went out and bought a new Dodge. Out behind his barn is a GM junkyard.
Abuses the gmcs and says stupid gmc
And typical of around here On my Shortcut back to sand plant. Older slope fbrgls hood tandem Pete pre DEF, really sad Equipment trailer one Stop lamp, that wired bad grounding thru center ID lamps, L turn appeared wired on Tail Circuit for that lamp, dim. Not a strap, chain, rope or even binder twine tie downs, back two bales sitting on ramp hold back chains
Ar there matey, steady as she goes. Aye aye captain easy on the port and starboard turns she be.
How long did you have to follow that
Six Miles, then he turned into the Gate to the old Teamsters Place!!
Drove up to claim today (500km). A Lot of hay being moved…but all was strapped properly. Did see one ‘leaner’. Wide load flags were apparent. Actually a very pleasant drive…traffic reduced from summer. Still a fair few rvs including Alaska plated. Scale in Quesnel open, took 1 ton thru, scale master waved & smiled! Have met him before. Nice guy & does appreciate effort to run legally. Lots of dually’s here don’t seem to stop or (even) have decals… Over 5500kg must report to scales…
Most of the time scales are just not a issue when running legal.
You must be super happy with Gold at $3650 or so an ounce US. Maybe making some coin to buy new gear or repair all you have. Hope all is good on the claim. Went to Barkerville before with Pete Wright to look at one of his claims, I did not buy. Nice place behind Barkerville. Simon C
Worked with Pete on some hard rock projects near Barkerville/Wells/Bowron lakes in the early 2000’s. High gold price is nice! Productivity has been hit/miss as struggles continue with 170’ water lift…. Good day today, also blue sky (smoke finally pushed out by warm winds yesterday); pleasant at 17c No —-overload—- yet regarding gold
Around here the farmers are pulling 30-40 foot gooseneck trailers behind their 2500 and 3500 pickups and double stacking the round bales. 2 wide on the bottom, 1 wide on the top front to back, no straps or chains, just good old gravity...
TikTok - Make Your Day
Seems this was a bit heavy to Tow SWIFT truck drove off first lane shift into ditch at Warrenton MO this morning. Tow company found new method to transfer load!!
Been a little over width on the way to the yard. Maybe ripped pin and plate off the trailer?
Pin & bolster are still intact, trailer was junk and a dry van, cost to off load on site was more than worth.
Had SHP escorts front and back
To go with the dry van above, a refer toasted at Biggs Junction I-84 this morning. *
What lit the fire?
Don't know.
5.7M views · 4.5K reactions | Goodmorning ppl ... Be safe and Keep trucking ‼️‼️‼️ | Argentina TuffGong JohnSon Goodmorning ppl ... Be safe and Keep trucking ‼️‼️‼️. www.facebook.com
I'd guess wheel bearing or hot brakes. Would seem unlikely to me that the reefer unit would have caught the load on fire.
Actually---refers have a potential for catching on fire, although in the case of the one above and depending on several factures like time of year. Birds use all sorts of places to build nests, and the spot they like build them in a refer is right on top of exhaust manifold. During the spring and through summer months depending on type of bird because some have two broods. It's not uncommon to open refer doors and find a massive nest. I've cleaned out nests that fill a third of a large garbage barrel. And just by chance if that trailer had been parked for several months, and the likely hood no one checked the unit before start up, it could have had a bird house in there. Poof.
May have been the freight, hauled pure peroxide loads from chemical co. in Tonawanda NY to Cleveland many times, warning all over paperwork to keep product below 90 degrees or may combust. One time middle of summer reefer quit 1/2 way to Cleveland, called dispatch, what to do? We dunno. Clenched cheeks and mashed pedal, got load to dock before bad stuff happened but what if 300 miles away. What shop would want that ticking bomb in their shop to fix reefer?
That was YOU ? The cloverleaf at I-79 and I-90 was closed for hours.....
Was gonna stop at truck stop in Northeast for some of them delicious garlic chicken wings but had to get on "er. That 45 miles of Pa. was just a blur c'mon.
Where??
Comfort Dental office near Missouri 7 Highway and U.S. 40 Highway Blue Springs Missouri. Looks like they just missed the gas meters on the right side of the bus. Initial reports suggest the crash may have been triggered by a car failing to yield , though the investigation is ongoing
The truck stop in Northeast is gone....
Is that really an overload though?
I saw one today, Commercial Vehicle was doing inspections and had an older F350 duely with a tandem dump trailer, both loaded with dirt and drain rock along with the standard landscaping tools was just getting scaled on the front axel. No place to stop and get a picture but they had 6 victims getting fairly in-depth inspections. One dump truck was pulled around the corner getting some new rubber on the right steer tire from the mobile tire man. No place to stop and get a picture.
Overloaded the wall
Hopefully the driver wasn't injured and the bus was empty.
Yesterday, here in town, they had a massive truck inspection,(sting) operation going on. There were police cars from many different towns in our area, as well as the sheriffs dept and the DPS. They were pulling trucks over on a major bypass around the north side of our town. They would then escort the truck to a nearby stadium parking lot for weighing and inspection. They had set up 2 portable scales and were really pulling in trucks all day. At noon, they had 14 trucks in the "out of service" line up. Two long lines of trucks at the scales. I don't know how many they got for overloads, but they sure kept the local repair guys busy on the line of trucks "out of service". By 5:30, all the officers were gone, but there were still 5 or 6 trucks sitting out of service there. They do an operation like this about every 3 months. I wonder how many drivers did not speak english???
The big five, steering, suspension, lights, tires and brakes. Disc brakes has become a big one, hard to inspect on a daily pre-trip walk around. And service centers are missing allot of those, DOT has figured what to look for plus carry the gauge.
2.2K views · 2.7K reactions | How is that even road legal #nottoday #mechanic #field #shop #road #illegal #damn #tolow #turnt #party #parking #ford #diesel #powerstroke #gasser #followers | Mechanic_culture How is that even road legal #nottoday #mechanic #field #shop #road #illegal #damn #tolow #turnt #party #parking #ford #diesel #powerstroke #gasser #followers. www.facebook.com
What not to do when you don't have a big enough truck. I bet he'd have trouble steering in the rain let alone when the ground is frozen. Needs some tractor weights hanging off the front bumper.
8.8K views · 2.7K reactions | Honestly impressive #diesel #dieseltruck #dieselpower #dieselpowerproducts | Diesel Power Products Honestly impressive #diesel #dieseltruck #dieselpower #dieselpowerproducts. www.facebook.com
It really bothers me that very few drivers do a pre trip inspection . A strait truck were i work has a deal with the way the tail lights work . It has 4 taillights and they work but at the moment i have trouble explaining . I am the mechanic there and yes i should have talked to the driver about the tail lights but the way they work its not unsafe it has turn signals brake lights and taillights. What bothers me is the driver has drove this truck for several years has just realized how they worked . I am going to figure out and correct what is going on.
Don’t ever try and figure out what a driver thinks or knows. It’s a wonder they cab find the ground when they step down.
Most all drive in a blur, thinking about what they would do if they were king.
It's good to be king is a great song by Tom Petty.
Most just want another Lil Debbie cake!
And who was it that brought up Little Debbie the crack head.
The loader operator told me the scale in the 744P put that load at just about 8 tons
Oh come on now.....Fess up, who hasn't done this ?
Sometimes it's not by choice. I asked for 6 yards and got this:
When I zoom in I can see all the way up in the front corner of the box there's room for another couple pounds... Why stop now? It's almost full
The tires are still round, mostly. Press on. Joe H
No free board--first ticket, insecure load contents can fall out, second ticket, weight third ticket. I'm sure there's more, because people who do things like that have faulty equipment also.
Here everything has to be tarped except snow. Everybody always tries to carry just a little bit more.
Landscaper here in town does that, for the small crews doing work in town, is like following a snail, steady trail all the way up to the truck from the stockpile to customer.
First of all, it’s a Dodge. Second, he has high sideboards. Clearly the truck can handle it. All joking aside. 8 tons is a feat on a 9 foot body and at least three tons over what a 5500 can carry. I bet she was a bit wobbly in the turns.
Will the hoist handle it? I wouldnt want to try it .
Probably a dumb question, but what is free board?
The loader operator scraped some off the back end after I took the picture. I saw the guy going back for another load later so either it dumped or he shoveled or scooped it off with a machine.
Side board exposed above the crushed stone. No free board, stone will tumble over into someone elses windshield.
When you have kids you try to teach. My younger son is 31. He had a project, borrowed my truck nameplate rating is 28900, 14' body, 3' sideboards. It fits 10.8 yards at 2800 LBS leveled. He had hauled several loads, I arrived in time to see him drive in with the last load. He weighed around 36000. His excuse: The scale operator wasn't there, loader operator guessed at weight. Last load, the scale operator weighed it after it was loaded. I could have killed him!
A couple weeks ago I saw a 3500 Chevy dump truck, probably mid 2000-2010s vintage crossing the scales at almost 23,000lbs gross. Not just once, but all day long. Suspension bottomed out, 16" tires looking like they were about to pop. What's that, like 200% of GVWR?!?!
Yeah, and 3/4 of that is load, or three times what it should carry.
It's all rather stupid, overloading for what reason.
It depends somewhat on the vehicle. A ton over weight on a tandem dump truck isn't ideal but not really terrible or likely to damage the truck but a ton or more over on a 1 ton could be catastrophic and potentially cause serious injury to the driver or other drivers on the road. Steering and braking would/could be severely diminished. Some people have no regard for the safety of others or even their own safety. They also don't seem to care about the integrity of the vehicle.
In Ag 10% over is allowed because of hauling from fields. Weights in grains can vary allot from field to field. Most try to keep it under control. Crushed rock with wet fines can vary. And slight over runs happen, but grossly overloading with intent to do so can compound the fine. Check your state. * https://oversize.io/regulations/oversize-overweight-fines-by-state/
SOME Quarries here are now enforcing scale weight to license capacity. There are some that will load what ask for. In Commercial Zone load weight is by axle, more axles = more gross load.
Compare Connecticut to Vermont in above chart in post #5,625. Some states don't fool around even for first violation, but I'm sure that depends on driver/owners attitude at the time.
Might these concessions be for a number of reasons? I talk to people involved in short distance hauls, many don't have a hint what their load weighs. If they don't have a scale receipt, they can't say what it weighs. Generally agriculture, there are no scales. Might be a scale at the end of the haul, might not. I am the best in my head mathmetician. I do get stage fright when asked to prove it. I know a 10 yard load of sand at 2800 LBS per is 28000 LB, wet sand is 29000. I find intelligent people don't, or can't do the math.
They have to remove footwear.....
I have a cell phone if there are too many zeros. Furthermore, I briefly had 11 toes. That made toe math confusing.
Your in a gravel pit....find a stick and draw on the ground.....
Got to remember ignorance isn't a good self defense strategy. Depends on if the inspector is equipped with jump scales and wants to use them. Around here all grain elevators have scales, have to tare weigh each time because of fuel usage. Grain from each hopper is sampled for weight/density and protein, they know if you switched fields, each parcel/field will have a lot number. It's all about the bushels. Because the fuel gauges in the trucks I drive are off, I watch my tare weights to let me know when tanks are at the quarter mark.
This quarry sells by the yard. But they end up giving away a lot of material because it seems they always load 25% more than requested.
that guy should have brought his grain truck instead... but even then it would be filled to breaking. Back in mid-century rural, our gas engined gravel trucks got loaded until they could barely crawl out of the pit. More leaf springs if the driveline can handle it. If gravel wasn't spilling over the sides, some customers would claim they were getting cheated! Bruce
63K views | Reel by Porky Nosy www.facebook.com
Some of the truck inspectors can be jerks too when you aren't doing anything wrong. I've mentioned it in the past when one cop was praising how I had everything proper and the other cop gave me $150 ticket because I didn't have GVW numbers on a one ton truck pulling a 45 HP tractor. The DMV only told me I need to register the truck and trailer together. No mention at all about numbers on the truck. A couple people said I should have fought the ticket because they didn't weigh the truck and trailer. There are literally 100's of people hauling skid steers and other equipment behind pick ups that are just as heavy or heavier with no weight numbers at all. A decent cop would give you 24 hours to correct a minor oversight. It was a commercial truck unit that pulled me over. The one guy at least was just looking for anything he could ticket. Meanwhile there are many trailers that shouldn't even be on the road but don't get stopped.
Which goes back to a cord of wood.
Air ride suspensions took much of the guess game out. I know when I load sand as to watching gauges, hit 60# trailer and 55# tractor is right at 24.5t load weight. Many I have driven these gauges are read in weight pounds not air pressure directly and are labeled as such. At the sand plant the scale proves me right. Hydraulic pressure scale of Loader at clay pit is a +/- 1000 depending of temp, any lean to machine, continued machine movement as lift load to read. Air gauges in dash are a defined proof. I do know when I am overloaded to license weight, so too the farmers here as there machines are all air ride and have the third line to the cab. Quarry loader here has scale in loader, is also a +/- game where end result is pit billing scale. As to waste the spillage of material by a bucket loader is normal, gets scraped up later and deposited to a fill material pile or back into a stock pile to feed back thru a screens system if enough gets collected but are talking pennies not dollars. 1” minus here is $16.50/ton. Coarse ‘Dirty’ Sand is $10/t Cleaned is $14/t. Ticket here from Mo DOT is $100 first ton and $25 each additional 1000#.
I go to Wallingford Crushed Stone, get processed material. They won't overload your truck even if you ask them to. When I am 1000 LBS light I feel the trip wasn't all it could be. Others sell by the bucket, they know what a bucket heaped of a given material. While they have a scale, they don't use it each load. One quarry makes asphalt, State specs are strict. They need to get down to bedrock. The screened product is a by product. It tends to be in the way.
My old company 75% of loads are drop and hook preload, and because of that most all of trailers have air scales. But it doesn't mean they don't have to weigh, still a requirement. Hauling grain I know the trucks well enough I'm usually in the 80,500 area if I'm there at the time of bank out wagon, if they load before I get back it's normally 82,500. Tare weight on the main two I drive with half full tanks is 27,500, for a average gross of 52,500. So most of the time I cross at 53,500 net on 5 axles.
Back in the 80's, our whole county, here in north central Texas, had only one weight man, and he had no portable scales. I was running a sand and gravel plant, located on a load zoned road, (about 58000 gross, I think). It just so happened that this DPS trooper lived right up the road from our plant. He knew we scaled everything going outbound, and allowed nothing over 80,000. So, he just stopped by the scalehouse about once every two months, chatted with the scale clerk, and handed out overload tickets to any truck that happened to come in for a load that day. Seems like the fine was only about $100.00 or less. All the truckers liked the guy, and he never bothered them out on the road. He warned us ahead of time , about 1986, that things were going to get nasty with inspections and weights. Then said he was retiring, as he did not want to be involved in that mess. Our company then closed the plant ahead of the crackdown. Oh, the good old days!!!
I remember getting loads of propane, one refinery scale ticket showed like 80,100. They had crossed it out, apparently pumped some off, and typed in the new number of 79,900 or whatever. Sometimes you would get one that was 80,000 even, but apparently there policy was never to go over even a little bit.
Overloads=produce hauls. Need to be on the dock when loading. Checking for wet hardwood pallets, is produce wet/damp, check average box weight, is it a mixer load with all kinds of different full pallet weights. Are you going to load a single in nose or double then single and last three a single and two at the door. Best produce trailer is a 96"x 46'6" can get 21 boards, with nothing falling over using 4 load locks. Scales allowed extra weight on iced loads years ago in most cases. Too much ice and snow collected on semi would cause a red light in some cases. If a driver is over weight he can slide the drivers seat two notches.
Produce Row ST Louis, just triggered a OLD memory TS.
Fresh stacked or settled?
Cross or tight stack, split or solid.
I saw a BigTex gooseneck hooked to an f-350 (just like in the video) while riding the ferry to Chileo Island......
Thrown or dumped in a pile, the buyer can stack it.
Saw a 5 car hauler on the interstate with some sort of Chrysler dually pickup, not sure that is a good idea.
Loads of Ton duallies dragging angle floor car haulers with three to four Amazon or other company delivery vans. Do not weigh a lot but make fine sails, usually found Tacking along the interstate in high winds Fog line to Center line.
Deep doo doo--moving a oversize at night, closed I-90 east bound at Bullfrog overpass near Cle Elum. Tuesday night. *
Wow and ouch!
I have seen 2 trucks, both 1 ton duellies, pulling gooseneck trailers hauling in ground swimming pools.....talk about a sail.
Don't those oversize loads require a route map and approval before they're permitted? Joe J
That's some real doo-doo
1/2 before sunrise, 1/2 hour after sunset. The rules below. * Washington oversize permits - regulations and information Washington oversize permits information including legal dimensions, routine permit limits, and escort requirements, operating times and restricted travel. www.heavyhaul.net
I think he probably lost control of the roller dog with relish he was holding on impact. Half hour after dark it would be dusk, zero traffic on other side of freeway means late night. He wouldn't have made contact if pilot car was out front, but you won't find pilot cars that are willing to run at night, ssooo.
I hauled two 200 bbl fiberglass tanks this summer with my f250. Only around 8-10k in weight but they catch a lot of wind. I went around 45 as I have a new metal bumper that doesn't breathe and my condenser is really bad, and the ac went out on the trip too.
Looks like the tank took some damage too:
He was to take off/on ramp, online people keep brining up a pilot car, they must have x-ray vision, I can't make one out.
Maybe the pilot car took the off ramp? I see they covered their ass with this Note : On height clearances: Washington state oversize permits do not guarantee height clearances on permitted routes. Is a permitted route a route they individually checked, or just a general map with no height check involved? Joe H
A great deal of overpass were built in the 1960s/70s were set at 14-15’ where just enough headroom for a 13’6” trailer had the highway ever been asphaltic overlay topped here. Over Height loads require a pilot car so dipwad was well outside sense or sensibility
We've had a run of excavators hitting overpasses here. At least three in the last year or so. One overpass was just repaired last year and hit again about a week ago. I saw a pick up truck from a big contractor on the news but the truck and excavator were long gone. I put 2 and 2 together and figured they didn't want their truck and name plastered all over the news. Only other thing could be they had someone out to survey the damage but don't know if they would show up that fast. It wasn't as bad as last year. I think that was over $2 mil. to repair! Not quite as bad as Truck Shops pic. but close.
Looks like Conoco Phillips ain’t getting their new tank anytime soon.
Not even sure they had enough tickets in their book for that one.
My mistake load was West bound. * Not more than 3/4 of a mile past that overpass is Bullfrog scale, a major scale house that just happened to be closed. 1/2 hour after sunset--At that point he was 75 miles from Seattle, he just passed the last major place for services. From that point there was no need to push, following morning he would make Seattle after morning rush hour. Truth be known he was crowding it for several reasons.
The 1 ton hauling the pool ? Oh yes....and they even had a chase car....behind them....
Ain't that a shame for willow. Seems they contracted with the wrong outfit, by reports there were 4 in a convoy with one pilot, if that is correct, this state requires a pilot for each unit. This also apparently happened at 10:30 pm.
I'm surprised the vessel stayed on the trailer.. Guess he/she/they/them did a good job on securement....
I think the whole system stinks. Too old, too outdated. With today's technology I think it would be easy and a lot cheaper to rig a lazerbeam or something say 500' or so with the same clearance as the bridge, clip that and it would set off a warning system. Be it lights, flags, or horn or all and also warn police to come out and assist clearing the road. I think that would be alot cheaper then fixing the bridges.
11 FOOT 8 – The Canopener Bridge 11foot8.com Yeah, great idea. Let's make the drivers less responsible for their own loads. This is already proven to not work.
How about like at the Burger King drive thru ? One piece of 8" well casing hung at the height by chains, a few feet ahead. BONG !
What you are taking about is basically the same thing as a scale bypass transponder.
I dint know anything about scale bypass transponder. I don't have a CDL. DDoug understands, it could be like he says, like they have at Burger King. Something you hit and you know you hit something so you stop. But before you hit the bridge. Something less critical, easier to replace.
That system also has been around for awhile on entrance lane to scale houses in Pacific Northwest used for over height log trucks. Nothing more than chains hanging down. The transponder would work. You can't have anything that could be conceived as detrimental to trailer or load traveling at highway speed. Transponder would flash/beep if set off by over height.
That would be better than hitting bridges don't you think.
They have pipe hanging from chains at the mall to supposedly stop larger trucks from going on the upper parking level. It wasn't uncommon they needed to be repaired. Worst case is the pipe caught on the front of a high or box truck and pulled the steel supports over ripping the bolts out. Vehicles aren't going very fast entering parking lots at malls. Stupid drivers get too distracted and forget what they're driving and the size of it. Forget about paying any attention to current signs or warnings. Maybe if something came down right in front of the windshield they might notice??
Well the fact I posted this disaster, and deal with commercial vehicles---yes. But it has to be done as to not hampering other vehicles. The cost of permit would come with a programed transponder for actual load height covering x amount of days. Receiver mounted at overpasses could be battery combined with solar power and checked with hand held device. Too many trucks on the road and more oversized loads being moved. Cost built into price of permit, the cost of doing business.
Cheaper then damage done to load and bridge
Until the overpass was rebuilt, there used to be a sign on I-5 in Chehalis that would light up if you were too tall to tell you to hit the exit. I'm guessing it was some sort of laser beam thing.
Not positive but I think there is one in Spokane on 90.
I know for a fact it was set lower than the posted height. I hauled chips out of the woods for a while. Made dozens of trips through there and then one day it lit up. I ignored it and cruised on through knowing the posted clearance was 14'8" or somewhere in there. Then later on I measured and I was 14'1" to the tip of the front tarp cradle thingy. I've got scale beams under the 5th wheel that add a couple inches plus 24.5 rubber that pushed it up there. The railroad trestle in Tenino is posted at 14'2" and I never had a problem.
There is a rail bridge here in town that many a truck got stuck under. I was following a dry van that looked high, I think he had 2" clearance maybe less. Never saw the brake lights, probably didn't even dawn.
NOV is well known for their Double Wall Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) tanks. They must be stout to destroy a bridge. Sounds like a well pad water injection tank, is the rumor I heard. Supposed to be the peak spending year for Willow with a capex of $12.5 billion.
Have our own SETS of Low Height bridges on I-70, One at Wentzville being replaced with the 'Improvement' project, the next biggie also a RR Overpass is at High Hill both constructed during the initial Interstate build and Both were 14'2" clearance. In between and just outside of those are blind crossover overpasses for old county roads, most of which were also built to DOT Spec 14'2"-14'4" with that dimension based of initial estimated Asphaltic overlays and removal/re-overlay not just further overlays of 2" or LESS. Nearly every one of these has been hit at least once, the RR Overpasses repeatedly. Latest few years replacement projects set overpass replacements at 16'. Will also note, at one time the construct of mechanisms for industrial projects was generally done at Fabrication sites at End Use sites, not at a Production facility then a Finished product hauled distance to that construct project. The Power Stations around us here were built that way as the older factories and manufacturing /refining facilities. Only extremely large complex machines that could not be assembled at site were fully constructed then most were rail or barge shipped not truck shipped. Truck Hauls numbers are truly out of rational or reasonable.
True, airport traffic control towers being constructed at airport here right now that are going to Alaska. To move--portions of highway 12 will be shut down for 45 miles to loading area of barge on Columbia river. I'll get a new photo because I think getting close to finished.
I will again grumble about the route I took with Mrs. B last spring. She loves these cell phone navigational apps. I don't. Her app saved us 22.4 feet of distance taking a roundabout route. We were towing a camper trailer I recall as 10' 10", I'll have to measure, or check manufacturer's specs. I might remember it as an inch off. There was no place to turn around, the posted height of the bridge was plenty high. Still, we crept across clearing everything by a foot or more. Passing the bridge, we smashed into the hanging sign at the other side.
Saw a news site that said that side of the overpass is being demolished and there was gov't. policy put in place that whoever caused the damage will be charged for it.
Have been noting a greater percentage of precast prestress concrete ‘I’ beams for overpasses here, reasoning is that they are more efficient which I cannot wrap head around. Steel has 1/3-1/4 cross section of Concrete as to Height Width and concrete still requires rebar and in productions I saw, the tensioning system. Are as well constructing Arched instead of Flat structures where design adds to strength or capacity. Shorter web dimension adds under structure height clearance for same deck level. So just a Why?
Maybe the laser beam trimmed the load off......
I think the reason is maintenance and lifespan. At least here in the northeast because of the salt. The steel needs constant sandblasting and paint. Then replacement due to rot.
Minimum insurance requirements for interstate travel is $750,000. They are building a small bridge right now in springfield over a railroad line, that's a $5,000,000 bridge. This interstate bridge that got hit, is just going to be one section, but its all going to be emergency / rush /24 hours a day billing until its done, so $5 million wouldn't shock me. So if I hit a bridge and ruin it, my insurance is going to pay $750,000. The gov't can try to get the rest out of me, but they will have the same luck getting $4,250,000 out of me that you would Dave. Taxpayer is paying for this bridge replacement.
DOT has to have it repaired asap--that overpass is high usage, simple fact WADOT is situated just to the southside of overpass. Plow trucks/equipment stationed there run to top of pass. * All kinds of excuses lite up for this mess, main blame is radio interference--so what. Driver is 64 years old---the excuses can pile to the moon---at that age and supposed years experience, fact is he gambled and lost. There are a ton of conflicting reports. In many cases more than one pilot car has to be used because of distance from lead to last truck and the fact a pilot car conversation would/could be disrupting between X amount of trucks. The final report to lay blame will probably never be seen until major litigation has ended. * Insurance/bonds--to haul these types of loads normally requires a minimum of 5 million based on inflated costs. Just the cost of replacing the specialized cargo of various kinds can cause insurance/bonds/ryders in very high range for oversized loads. * I had to carry 1 million insurance, just for produce/frozen based on wholesale or retail value.
The only new steel beam bridges built here in the last 20 years are the high and long spans where pre-cast won't work. When they widened I-65 years ago they went with pre-cast beams added to the original steel beam bridges. Here in the southeast the concrete lasts much longer with little to no maintenance. I have no experience with bridges but I'll always try to get pre-cast structures for the work we do. Pre-cast is sometimes 25% the cost of cast in place.
Precast is the strongest structure for the price yes steel will do what precast can't but at what cost I learned this from an engineer working on a data center Using precast beams for bridges is about as fast a way to build there is and the quality control is way better than cast in place As said above precast has little to no maintenance so cost of life span is a big deal cause there is no highway department anywhere that wants to maintain a road
They built a ring road around Edmonton and there are several huge steel overpasses. I was surprised some of the huge I beams were riveted instead of welded. Thinking maybe because they wouldn't get fatigue cracks or droop over time being such long sections. On another overpass that used precast concrete they had to replace at least one of the precast girders because it didn't pass structural standards after it had been put in place. That had to be a very expensive mistake! There's a lot of logistics involved just to transport the huge girders whether they are steel or concrete. You see the trucks on the road and looks like it wouldn't take much for girders to fall over especially the steel I beams.
Been many precast beams moving around thus far in 25. Carlile Transportation has been trucking most of them. The $100 million Chena Flood Control Bridge project is concrete. DOT just wrapped up for the winter. Been a controversial project. Nothing is wrong with the old bridge. But, it’s not rated to support the weight of the Kinross ore Manh Choh ore trucks.
Routine stop in Iowa--no permit for load, in possession of illegal firearm, and one of those cracked wheels I've been talking about. Loaded with rebar, 15' overhang probably going to bridge beams. *
Swalling General Contractors is doing the new $60m Chilkat River Bridge part of the Milepost 20 to 25 Haines Hwy upgrade. Mountain View trucking is doing the mobe. 150 estimated loads. Carlie is hauling the precast beams from Anchorage to Haines Junction. It will be a winter haul. Canada heavy haul permits are a nightmare. They plan on using the Glenn Hwy. Sounds like a potential disaster in the making.
Rebar is not for precast bridge beams. Precast is made with pretensioned strand rather than rebar. Post tension is also strand, its just threaded through holes in the beam, then grout is pumped into the holes to secure the tension in the strand. The strand is highly tensioned, to 70 or 80% of its breaking strength. Grade 270 is often used, 270KSI. About half again stronger than a grade 8 bolt. Want to liven up a conversation with a precast manufacturer? Ask how well they like the new type 1L cement.
Did that as heard at Continental Cement the 'Recipe' was changing. 1 L is RAW Lime additive filler usage. Precaster here is already unhappy with results.
Some are worried about the supposed carbon footprint of cement. So dilute the cement with 5-15% unburned limestone. 'Gotta be green, right? Oh, yea. Just ignore the fact you need to add 10-20% more cement to get the same result. I think all the cement manufacturers are foreign owned, and thought America should put up with the same BS as other countries.
AMRIZE has been spun off by Holcim, cause due to ? Above?
BTW still takes Hi Sulphur Coal in VOLUMES to kiln Cement. PRB will not do.
Still surprised by the diverse community of subject matter experts we have on the HEF.
Actually---I don't care what it's used for, it's nothing I would use. What's this stuff, blown up it looks like rebar, for as many strands if was eight grade that tank made a mess of it. *
The Cooper Landing Bypass project is using steel for the new Juneau Creek Bridge. Supposedly the longest and highest single span in the state. 2032 completion date and $1B price tag. The steel was barged to Seward and STR did the haul, if I recall correctly. Controversial, of course. Cooper Landing business owners are worried about bypass traffic not stopping for Red Bull and jerky. But, it’s such a dangerous, twisty, rough, skinny, slow bottle neck to commercial vehicles and somebody will eventually flip a tanker into the Kenai.
Vacationing again...........
Overloaded homeless shelter, common, final destination for a RSH.
The last few years it has become pretty common here. We had a family, two derelict Dodge trucks, two derelict travel trailers, they wintered in Mount Tabor on a privately owned gravel turn out. Owner spent significant money evicting them. They moved to a publicly owned spot in Dorset. Eventually, they were in a large mostly empty parking lot in Rutland Town. It seems these people are like rats, once they move in it's very difficult to get rid of them. Another couple moved their wreck motor home to a Park & Ride in Berlin. I'm not aware of any effort to evict them. It is an invasive problem, we live in a town with 27000 acres of National Forest. "Campers" are limited to two weeks per site along 35 miles of forest road. They seem to stay until they are forced to leave. In a few cases they move to private property where owners don't have the protection of Federal law enforcement officers. Winter moves them along. USFS officer explained: Most of these people want easy access to a town. They need their cell phone to work, need to communicate with drug dealers, drug buyers, etc. Few stay long further from the cell tower.
Walla Walla county just two weeks ago passed a law for county, that no overnight/extended stay or parking on county parks/roads/right of ways. It costs an average of $50 bucks a foot for length of RSH to have a recycler take one. Had to pass the law because county was having trouble with towing/impounding RSH's. No tow company wants to deal with getting stuck with it. So county is also coming up with a plan to cover costs of disposal which will go back to county residents. The best plan is to put a fee on license of RSH that can be transferred once a RSH becomes derelict. Which will happen without a doubt, all RSH's eventually become derelict eyesores.
Checked stats for incidents involving heavy trucks in this state for 2025, 4,400 so far. Taken from Washington DOT site, minor to major. Below--just can't stay away from bridges, I-15 MP 93 Idaho. *
Problem is I buy a new travel trailer, store it on my property, or pay a fee at a storage facility. Mine are under roof in winter. I used my last one 20 years before I sold it in good condition to a person wanted a camper while he built a cabin. A year later, I got a call. He had sold it, the new owner would need a title. He intended another few years as a travel trailer. These things are 25 to 30 years old before they become derelict homeless shelters. Penalizing the buyers of new trailers seems ineffective.
And you have a point, but end result is always the same. Ending up as discarded along a road or parking lot with no value, hazmat issue and possible home to rodents. Now if original owner wanted to discard it himself he could get his dismantlers/hazmat fee back. But in the end a RSH is like a plastic water bottle.
The COOP has had 2 rsh abandoned in the parking lot this fall. They stay for about a week and then get towed away. Just a guess but I think it took about a week to track down the owners and make them take care of them. I saw one getting hooked up to the tow truck and the lady hanging around during the hookup did not look very happy.
Not sure I believe all of those actually happened and someone just happened to have a video camera on.
The abundance of stupid people out there is pretty amazing.... Also, it depends on the time span of all the videos.
13K views · 5.6K reactions | Today one of our Inspectors discovered a steering gear box with several loose mounting bolts, likely averting a tragic incident. Unfortunately, the truck was placed out of service until the steering gear box bolts could b Today one of our Inspectors discovered a steering gear box with several loose mounting bolts, likely averting a tragic incident. Unfortunately, the truck was placed out of service until the steering... www.facebook.com * That is a late model, the steering gear has lane change avoidance.
That is the first time I've ever seen a steering box do the "hokey-pokey."
Probably because it was changed out under warranty, a few issues with those. And mounting bolts weren't properly tightened.
Squeeze it between a pair of D8 dozers and it will cost $100 at the recycler.
First find the 8's then pay for the operation. more trouble than worth.
Oh Raj you've done it again.
Excavators and bridges not getting along is getting far too common.
It's becoming a global thing. Legal hight in Oz is 4.2 metres, a week or so ago Raj smacked into a bridge that had 4.6 clearance with an excavator on board. Damage not to severe and was allowed to continue the trip. 10min later smacked into a second bridge that had a 4.7m clearance, phucked the bridge and the digger will be a repairable right off. In Australia there are several different class of truck licences. Heavy Combination is for truck and 1 trailer, either semi tag or dog trailers. B double and triple, road trains etc require a Multi Combination license. So Raj rocks up looking for a truck driving job, get asked if he's got an MC licence, yeah yeah I got and shows proof. So the bureaucrud issues Raj a MC licence but the thing is MC licences in India is for Motor Cycles. Bureaucruds and other grubermint officials are ducking for cover, like deer in the headlights and we have nothing to shoot with since our firearms were confiscated.
It would be interesting to learn what the drivers qualifications/experience was. My license had a tanker endorsement, doubles and triples and at one time the Haz-Mat endorsement. Here in Calif, with only a double & triples endorsement I could drag a 9 axle (or whatever one had) around, 16' wide, 16' tall and 210,000 lbs. and never had to pass anything more than the CDL test. The DMV guide or the CalTrans permit would tell where and when to put flags, put lights, normal weight limits but there is no D/L endorsement required for oversize/heavyhaul. Maybe there should be. It used to be that one didn't get into heavy haul until he/she/they/them had learned the "ropes". Overheight loads were always stressful. I always said, "You can swerve if yer wide, but you can't duck if yer tall"
My last post here I forgot to mention that the boom of the digger wasn't lowered to its lowest position. If that had been done there wouldn't be anything to write about.
I see guys hauling backhoes with the booms up in transport not even sitting on the deck here not only are they overloaded but there over height on a pickup like that I do a fair amount of heavy haul never had any problems I have broke in a driver this last year on that work he had 5 years experience previously and it was 6 months till I wasn't nervous about him every day The local cat dealer has drivers with no idea how to haul an excavator I see them stretch the boom all the way out and be over height all the time
Two things that cause. In a hurry and ego, some would say lazy too. Lazy is a equal part of the first two. The smart guy in many cases is the one that asks what others would call a dumb question. * Three items in every incident, too fast, too close and inattention to job at hand & surroundings.
Or getting complacent. Miss one critical step like measuring height or double checking the load before you leave can be disastrous. Reminds me of the D10 that struck a bridge and was a right off. Driver or loading crew forgot to lower the ripper which had the shank upside down. Ultimately it should be the drivers responsibility to check the load he's hauling.
Any driver worth his salt will develop a mental check list and make a minimum of two complete walk arounds before pushing the yellow button.
I see that happening more and more in the area where I live. That has happened twice, on the same bridge, on two different occasions within the past year. We had a dump truck flip in the middle of the road in front of our farm, because the driver didn't realize the bed was up in the air and she caught a steel guy wire crossing the road. Flipped a tandem dump truck over in my neighbors yard. Local railroad had an excavator on steel wheels being pulled down the tracks by a 1 ton truck with the steel guide wheels. Boom was up in the air and caught the bridge overhead. I think the caliber of operators has gone in the toilet.
We see a similar thing here in southern BC, over height loads hit overpasses. Often newer drivers. The investigation always hints at driver error. Is it because we, as a society, are in such a rush now. Get the load on and get moving because rush hour traffic is just going to start…….. We have to go to downtown Vancouver again on Monday for MIL and I will be in a rush to leave there to beat the traffic. I will try to use that to not take her out for lunch.
Yes.
Very similar to here. Overpass repaired after extensive damage only to be hit again less than a year later but not damaged as bad. Still have to have close the overpass and traffic under the damaged section.
It's even more than this society is in such a rush cause of the almighty dollar dump trucks don't make much money unless you have a hand in what's loaded on them witch means dump truck drivers are not paid all that high but they can be as lazy as possible Lowboying for a rental outfit pays ok requires you to put up with tons of bs and as long you show up and go tru the motions you will keep a job no qualifications necessary The minimal price in driving wages and the bs involved is what drives out the competitive people leaving mainly the lazy and un motivated for these jobs no wonder there inept and they don't care The people who would have historically had these jobs are motivated and going after the money there is no money left in driving except a few niche things
Yes again.
It was years ago but I had a young lowboy operator who knew his limitations and asked me to load the two excavators over the side. That works. It was crowded quarters and nowhere to get broke down so that was the way to do it. On that same corner I saw two different pull Downs with raised beds or just turning into the wrong spot. Within about 2 hours of each other!
The common piece of used in testing for new hires is a hand held makeup mirror.
LOL just need to get your wrist to make moto-mirror sounds.
I saw on the national news a dump truck driving on the interstate with his bed up and knocked down a huge overhead sign closing the interstate for a while, HOW THE HECK do you not check your mirrors every few seconds?????????????????????????????
They may look, but they don't see anything.
Quite a few years ago the driver of a garbage truck didn't realize the top was open and hit a train overpass. He was pretty shook up. A friend was the first one to come up on the accident just after it happened and called 911. I'm not sure if you were behind a truck with something too high blowing the horn would get the drivers attention. I think you'd have to get beside or in front of them to get their attention.
With the Bp Olympic Pipe Line breach taking place in the greater Seattle-Tacoma area and SeaTac running low on Jet-A. How long before a driver, pushing the limit, stacks up a tanker on I-5, this holiday weekend? How much extra trucking capacity is there in the King/Pierce Co. area? Gas stations are not going to get filled this travel holiday if everyone is hauling Jet A to SeaTac. Or, the planes will be re-routed to be fueled elsewhere and mess up everyone’s flights. Hope you aren’t flying through Seattle this weekend.
They will pull fuel out of Longview/Ferndale. Drag in tankers from eastern side.
I see that your Guvna just declared an emergency and suspended HOS for tanker yankers.
Does that pipeline supply PDX, too?
here is a PDF of the pipe route. Looks like a 20" line to several terminals in Portland. https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/c...s-and-services/pipelines/olympic-overview.pdf
They finally found the source, and have begun the process of starting up part of the line again. https://komonews.com/news/local/oly...-restart-plans-skagit-river-contaminated-soil
Oregon Guvna just declared an emergency and suspended HOS for fuel deliveries, too. I would come down and help you guys out, but my Jet A combination has a leaking power steering hose. The high pressure one that goes to the C/S steering box. It’s cold and dark, the shop is plugged up, and I’m just not feeling it. Good luck down there.
I stole this picture from agtalk forums. Apparently taken in North Dakota this morning. I’ve done some questionable things, but seeing this makes me uneasy.
Like I said--they will use what ever to cover the need for fuel. They do the same with fire retardant.
There is a idiot at every turn, all vying for a Darwin Award.
Those trailers would have to have air brakes wouldn't they? They would over here, I would imagine same over there. So he's got no brakes, apart from the pick up?
Looks like a photo op to me.
What's the big deal, I'm sure he has at least a class 3 trailer hitch 2" receiver on his pickup truck.
Could be a photo op, trying to gain a darwin, he succeeded.
Don’t think it’s a photo op as a different user posted this picture. Link to the thread. https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1221248&mid=11446638#M11446638
I can see what looks like hoses, (or chains?), behind the pickup. I wonder if he has an air compressor set up in the truck, and has air somehow plumbed into the truck and trailer rig. Sure would be neat to know how he has it all hooked up.
Using air to release the brakes not operate them
I've seen a 5th wheel caravan here in Oz with air breaks that some how operated off the break pedal, towed with Chev dualy, from the US I believe.
It's all kind of pointless, imo.
Trailers are full of helium balloons
CRST is shutting down it's OTR, to a trickle or none. They operate 4,300 trucks and broker another 300. The boss told me about Saturday morning, I decided to wait to post till it became news.
Lack of freight or profit? That's a bunch of trucks. All the "stuff" has got to get from the rail to the stores somehow. JB and Schnieder still in business they'll haul it for next to nothing?
Less "stuff" being purchased. Probably a combination of freight and profit. Starting around June this year all our acquaintances have been ratcheting back all unnecessary purchases. And, looking real hard a necessary ones.
Freight has slowed.
Schnieder took over International Transport years ago, and that ended. * I took this photo in 1974 at top of Rye Grass rest area I-90 with a Polaroid Land camera. When I-T was a going concern. *
Abundance of stupidity or bad memory? https://x.com/RT_com/status/1997432143799324845?t=stpL69B1kMYoowcQx64FdA&s=19
That really looks like it could be AI. The rock truck starts rolling forward too early and doesn't appear it was chained down at all.
I wondered if it was AI but this is the second video of the same incident I've seen
it was real and damn. Local news article below with photos. malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2025/12/04/heavy-machinery-load-comes-loose-crushes-trailer-cabin-killing-two-in-miri-video/200654#:~:text=Heavy-machinery%20load%20comes%20loose,Miri%20(VIDEO)%20%7C%20Malay%20Mail
Really makes you think about properly securing loads.
I work at a place close to a gas station. I have heard several guys say when asked why dont they have something chained down they say IT HAS BRAKES . I dont want to be a snitch but.
Right with your post @Old Doug I saw this brain surgeon at Loves south of Centralia. I saw nothing but the belly ratchet strap, but I did not get too close.
It's a good ol boy moving his own stuff so it's OK. Physics works differently for good ol boys. DOT is aware of this fact so doesn't bother them cause it's not a safety issue... /end sarcasm/
If that was me, I would be surrounded by state troopers.
^^^Same here Lol! Kind of good really; here in BC rarely see those kind of crazy loads. The CVSE enforcement is very strict... But...a lot of 'sagged' out 1/2 tons (pulling rv's) here in summer (Big tourist area south of us in Kelowna). Probably all are over on rear axle. A blind eye (mostly) is turned to those types of hauls by the CVSE. These all pass by the scale 30 minutes south of us at Vernon....
I see CVSE here in Langley on Saturdays during hay season. All the small farmers going over to their buddies to cut the field with a brush hog or their tandem axel car trailers loaded with bales. Every couple Of weeks I see someone having a bad day. I wish they would get the guys pulling a bobcat on a trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup.
That looks over height & over width!
Over everything. They should have drawn eyes on it. It looks like a big afro haircut.
They're version of a street sweeper.
Defiantly getting paid by the job not the hour
Put that giant hair pick in it from SpaceBalls
Edit: Not sure if this is real or not, went back and looked at other videos on the channel and there is plenty of AI slop on there. If it is AI it's starting to get scary real though....
It's totally possible for the simple fact the way some use abuse equipment. About 6 years ago on one of our 53'er's while in for a short service I was under greasing shining a light up checking suspension and slider--found a crack in the main structure channel for sider about 6' long. Out of Service.
If it is real, then the PTI was really poor, or the person is blind You raise a good point about the AI, getting pretty scary (in my opinion)
Anyone have a light ?
This fellow came through town today.
I've seen some horrible abuse on those utility company rigs. I noticed one of the big underground utility installers for the power company had badly bent axles on a 5-6 ton deck over trailer. One day they pulled up at a jobsite to fix a break in a main feed wire, and proceeded to dig with the excavator still chained down to the trailer. I guess in their simple minds it was quicker to just back up and maneuver the truck and trailer than unloading the excavator lol. Of course, when digging it was putting tremendous pressure down on the trailer axles, tires smashed almost flat, wheels bowing out etc. I wouldn't be surprised if similar abuse lead to the demise of that trailer in the video.
There is a family outfit does that often building beaver guards for culverts, The 18 wheeler tractor trailer spreads out the weight of the excavator. It doesn't damage pavement as bad as steel tracks on pavement. Gives them more reach above the guardrail posts. 35 ton excavator on steel tracks is not kind to pavement.
Street pads usually aren't too bad on seasoned asphalt but it depends on the weight and if they have to turn much.
I have a 36 ton excavator. There is no way they are operating a 35 ton hoe on the trailer. IF, and it's a giant IF they have a 10' wide, 4 axle trailer, I'd say it might be plausible, but I doubt it. Especially on 5 axles. I run on 7, sometimes 8, and I'd be skeptical trying it with my 25 ton.
and all those wheel bearings would need replaced in pretty short order.
There were allot of 9'6, 10' wide with out rig boards built by Hyster alone years ago, and most all were 3 axle 4 with booster, General and Peerless both built those sizes for logging.
I don't think I have a picture, but they do it. I certainly agree, it is a limiting practice. You can unbolt the horizontal part of guard rails, but it's a big thing to remove & replace the posts. I've seen them unload it from the Talbert trailer, always seem to damage the pavement.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=605999079161822
That looks like it could be AI. The one side of the trailer looked to have came off the ground without any swaying.
That's called wind.
I figured it was wind too, but the fir trees to the left of the road are dead calm. Can't tell about the other trees in the background, they look like they could be blowing? Hard to tell. I'm starting to hate the internet, unless its something 3-4+ yrs old I can no longer trust that anything is real.
Bought my first travel trailer 2001. Salesman assured me; "You've got the near ideal tow vehicle, you don't need any special hitch." Camped within 100 miles from home a few trips before heading on my first 1000 mile round trip. Bridges over rivers, multi lanes with tractor trailers passing or meeting me were sending my combination into fishtailing emergencies. Route 2 in Maine, I passed a ranch house with a two car residential garage, It sported a sign: Trailer hitches sold & installed. I had passed, but turned around. Guy in the house was finishing his sandwich, "Yeah, I can fix that." $90. and an hour later we were on our way sway free! It has been 24 years, My hitch is much more complex than then. I wouldn't tow without load equalizers, and sway control. These days it is in one hitch. Might be cross wind could mess up a trailer. I'll bet it begins with fishtailing which can be controlled.
They did a good job putting on the safety chains.
Looks like the spare was properly inflated and installed....
Could be AI, but I don't think so because he's past the white stop line, about right.
As long as the truck looks cool with those chrome big stacks, who needs to secure the load properly....
Looks like ligit stupidity, noticed the custom stretch on airlines.
Looks like timber mats, and if the grassy background is any clue, he just came down a big hill with a light at the bottom. Which is almost as much fun as a stoplight at the top of a steep hill. Its a good thing the mats stopped, I don't like the pictures when it just shears the cab clean off. No rack on the truck or trailer? Used to be, needed a headboard on one or the other. I don't put a lot of faith in the aluminum truck racks, but they might slow something down. Or at least make a big flat pusher instead of pipe or I beams javelining the cab.
I see only one strap there. It looks like it crosses under from the left to the right. There isn't a lot of evidence of tying down LOL.
I've always chained timber mats, the chains will bite in.
Too fast and insecure load, inattention , coming up on a stale light.
Drivers overloading their a-- with too fast for conditions. * 949K views · 6K reactions | This was an absolutely crazy thing to watch. Iowa i-80. | Welcome to Des Moines This was an absolutely crazy thing to watch. Iowa i-80. www.facebook.com
I had a light like that on canyon road that was a bugger 45 mph speed limit cresting a hill wet road. I learned the hard way that you just got out of the throttle and crested that Hill at 35 and planned on stopping because the alternative was no good.
There is this phycological effect of traffic lights on the masses, people have a thing about beating a traffic light. As though just making a green/yellow slows or stops the aging process. When people pass away it should be etched in the stone {Here lies he/she with a total of 15,876 green lights to their credit}. * Next grave over {Here lies he/she with a total of 15,877 yellow/red lights known for following their lucky dog neighbor with 15,876}.
I loose count. Nearest traffic light to home is 10 miles away. Beyond that is the city of Rutland, second largest in VT. Someone told me there are 29 traffic lights on Main Street Rutland. Lights are an essential part of city life, but I hate them! I believe Rutland lights are timed, make it through one, you have to break speed limit to make it through the next. Drive speed limit, you hit every second light as it turns red.
Trouble is around here trucks are pushing the limit's of traffic lights. I saw a class eight this week while waiting for light to change drive through what was obviously a red. The light my direction was green about the time the tractor was mid intersection. I watched as he hammered it long before entering no mans land.
I haven't been to Rutland in a while but that is definitely true.
Springs are probably sacked out
Better not be any wet or gravel roads. I think it would have been difficult to steer.
Where that photo was taken, that's a normal load, that should be observed and referenced for future use in this section of the northern hemisphere.
I read a deal yesterday that went something like this " Anytime you are doing something that you dont like like just think some were some one is doing about the same job but its a lot worse "
Should have paid the delivery fee.
Could be the SUV died after pulling in there to load up.
Baka California Waldorf, MD, USA Seems to be an ongoing issue; all over the World!
A friend sent these to me from Thailand. Good job on load securement!
Reminds me of logging years ago; load 'er 'til she breaks, fix it and back the next load off just a red hair.
Forgot to install the wheelie bars.
OTR arrested for driving DUI, hit a plow truck applying deicer on I-90 EB MP 114. *
At least the WSDOT driver pretty much "walked away" from it. This morning it is reported he was released from the E-burg hospital just feeling stiff and sore. Actually, from the photo it looks like some high end hotshot driver.
The plow truck driver is lucky! The truck had to have hit pretty fast to flip a plow truck like that. The driver can probably kiss his truck driving (driving in general) career down the drain. I wonder if he got any jail time?
Terrible way to spill a beer.!!
Yeah that beer is going to cost, but it was probably hard hat brand so .99.
He's high end alright, house numbers that are not straight for tractor ID #.
I hope it did not scuff up his new sandals.
Might be, just possibly be wearing boots too.
Looks like he needs better axle spread for bridge laws.
I wonder what drugs you need to say: "This will work."
I’ll bet it steers easy
Where was that picture taken?
My front yard. Why do you ask?
I like the ratchet straps holding it on.
If they ever gave additional tickets for fugly that would certainly qualify!
Because I doubt that is in the a US.
No, the steering wheel turns easy. It has little effect on turning.
They want HOW much to tow the car? Nevermind, I can borrow Joe's car dolly for free. Now where are those tire basket straps? Nevermind, just put it in park we are only going a few miles. THIS IS HOW WE DO IT BABY! I drove by this on the way to the store and it was just a lonely Nissan trying to breed a car dolly. I stopped on the way back and the Redneck Recovery Crew was just backing up to it with the F250. I did not get a picture on the first pass, dang.
Saw this for sale on marketplace, I guarantee they've been loading that thing rounded off above the standards....
Headed home from the grocery store the other day & came across this. LR tire was flat, can't imagine why.
That looks like it WAS a nice fairly new truck.
^^^^As Hank sang {Hey Sawbones i'm just carrying on a ole Family Tradition}. *
One of HWj’s best!
*** that’s a 2020 or newer truck. What country was that in? Looks like it’s all junk!
Good ol' Las Vegas, NV.
Maybe its one of those days where you can throw anything away at the dump but you only get 1 trip.
In some cases that's all some can afford.
I'm glad I didn't take pictures of My F550, had a little over 7t of free patio bricks moved it on a saturday, ended up with 5 full pallets once stacked, right at the 3k lift of tractor capacity on curl
As I noted in Spuds thread. But I noticed there are issues right through to 2024. * https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10206092-0001.pdf * Ford F-550 general Suspension Problems Details of all Suspension/general problems of Ford F-550. www.carproblemzoo.com
Now that's cool! Dominator bodies, body stiffer than the chassis causing a stress riser? Mine is a dump and I made my own subframe from 2x4 rectangular tubing, fully sleeved for bolts sealed and welded shut after coating the inside with Cosmoline.
Good enough to use for an air tank. I did that on my custom 3/4 ton 2nd gen.
I'll confess I did think of that but then thought of condensation All of the light duty dump body subframes were C channel and open boxed in the rear to catch all the salt in the winter time. I was tired of buying subframes so made my own.
It's not just Ford 550's, Dodge & GM have they're issues too.
It just got tired so it leaned up against the tree for a rest.
New Bluetooth tie down straps.
Only needed in a roll over or in case of a 1000 HP launch
You've really got to wonder why. I would do that in a heartbeat driving within my own property, slow speed its not going anywhere. But once you hit a road with other road users, what part of your brain says that's ok? Im sure I've said it before with these sort of things, I really don't understand, is it ignorance, stupidity, all of the above?
They probably set off with straps, just haven't noticed they've lost em yet! a rough concrete edge can cut through a strap in double quick time.
There's a concrete plant right by our shop, they just pulled out of their yard. But that sounds like a good story if someone just got pulled over. "Honest officer, we had them all tied down, wind must have blown the straps off".
Driving while using cell phone two wrongs.
Why is it if I did that, I wouldn’t make it a 1/4 mile and I would have DOT giving me an enema! With a hot poker!
https://www.facebook.com/reel/749082751415018 I'm pretty sure that he trashed at least 3 or more tires on that pull through the corner!
I will say, those MAN trucks must have stout drive lines. Pull wheelies like that on a stock truck here and you would have drive train scattered all over the ground Also, we make remarks about sandals and flip flops, it appeared the driver when he got out of the truck was barefoot.
That was so he could Toe Grip the pedals and not get kicked loose!
I was tensed up and leaning to the right, watching that whole crap show!
That hill is even steeper than it looks in the video. That dump truck they backed up to pull it with, rocked up the front when he stopped. When they act like that, you know it's steep.
Saw the blow outs air releases, figured was going thru rail forward or Back.
It's been a mess on passes. * 18K views · 2.3K reactions | This is how we do it. First comes clearing the collisions and spinouts, then comes clearing the snow. Let’s talk about what happened last night on I-90 Snoqualmie Pass near Easton. Late last night, a power outage at the This is how we do it. First comes clearing the collisions and spinouts, then comes clearing the snow. Let’s talk about what happened last night on I-90 Snoqualmie Pass near Easton. Late last night,... www.facebook.com
I followed a truck with Florida plates. He was bob tailing. He had steer tires on the back. Was wondering if he ventured out in yesterday's snow storm
This guy hit 18 overpasses in New York!! https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2026/03/tractor-trailer-driver-strikes-over-a-dozen-overpasses-on-thruway-through-central-ny-troopers-say.html
If he'd have hit another dozen before getting pulled over they may not have been able to ticket him for over height ... "Keep on truckin"
Reading the article and looking at the pictures, is a little deceptive. It may have hit the bridges but I can’t detect any damage to the machine. I read this earlier, so maybe they have better pictures and what was actually hitting the bridges.
Not a good idea. *
I don't spend a lot of time on the superslab but the little bit I have tells me the price of fuel hasn't slowed guys down much.
Not at all. All that's going to do drive fuel mileage in the toilet. We run in and out of Idaho many trucks a day. Company speed in Idaho will hang at 70 give or take. But the real issue is there will be no speed separating cars & trucks, all running same speed is not good.
80? the speed will be closer to 85/87 mph. Which makes for all kinds of fun when summer temps of 100* plus arrive, it will find those cheap Chinese tire casings along with just possibly being under inflated laying along side road. Because it's known drivers always check for proper tire inflation.
Days of Southern Shaker/breaking co pump seals are gone but 75/80 is a nice dream in 63mph bucket. Car trip last summer from Az to FL not 1/convoy fast chicken cruiser at midnight but end less cheap 60mph fright haulers but it's nice to have the adult opportunity to do it
To go with the 80 mph--I picked up a rig that laid over at 80 once. The slogan on the readable side of the sleeper said {Flirting with Disaster}.
Not a bad effort.
I hope his thongs are new, cause i reckon that's the only braking he's got.
914K views · 1.4K reactions | #fblifestyle | Mike Edwards #fblifestyle www.facebook.com
That's AI
Watched it a few times. It has to be AI but looks pretty real!
Funny either way. Joe H
No picture but I saw a good (bad) one yesterday. Bubba is standing by the door of his tractor and side dump in the right lane at a light. A service truck is next to him in the left lane, preparing to bail Bubba's ass out. Lucky for all there is a 3rd lane on Canyon road for all the traffic to squeeze by. It has been raining like hell and dirt work is halted all over. Bubba, can you haul a load of scrap steel in your side dump? Sure I need something. What he had was a load of all sorts of crap with what looked like single rail car wheels along the top edge. One of them came forward and fell out next to Bubba's door and luckily did not smash a car when he stopped for the light.
I did see this load a little earlier. I have only messed with crane tracks that load flat, without the sliding beams. Like these:
Them things are 2000-3000 lbs each....would squash a car flat.
Insta flat bed. * 32K views · 13K reactions | CCTV footage shows the moment an Amtrak train slammed into a garbage truck in Kingstree, South Carolina, on April 1. The Williamsburg County Fire Department said they responded to reports of a crash off North Williamsburg CCTV footage shows the moment an Amtrak train slammed into a garbage truck in Kingstree, South Carolina, on April 1. The Williamsburg County Fire Department said they responded to reports of a crash... www.facebook.com
Well, he figured wrong on that one.... I was surprised how the bed was attached. Or perhaps, not attached to the chassis.
Florida. Not sure how well black car's dolly is hooked to the white car or how the white car is still on it dolly
A set of doubles I guess?
Looks like they may have to put the SUV on another one and get another tow vehicle!
B-Train, see the air lines.
Someday they'll learn last car should be rear wheel drive & bam got a pusher for passing
I see rigs like that come southbound through Texas. They are all headed for Mexico. You can usually find some kind of Mexican dealer plate on one of them.
Put the last car in drive and a string on the throttle
Mexican Dealer trucks DOT turn blind eye. This is mild usually it's a f650 loaded like this
Imagine loading that!
Out today another winner of that ain't right 14k 4 tire trailer,all the tougue weight,whole trailer moves like a giant leaf spring Chevy's front end floating-no chains
Looks like Florida plates, anything is acceptable.
That's a tow truck on the front of there, I'm going to bet the original tow vehicle broke down, and they are getting it out of the road. The wheel lift is up, so I don't know how the trailer is hooked up. It could be on the boom, there may be a short hitch on the bottom of the wheel lift. I think this is coming from a accident.
The weight of the 2 unchained skid steers has be 26k 13000lbs each on a 14k . Unmarked wheel lift private owner not for hire?
The trailer has the fancy looking wheels that aren't nearly as strong as plain steel wheels too.
On a recent trailer thread there were claims of 30k gooseneck trailers and that's a f550 or equivalent so this is ......aight
There is logo on the tow truck, it's legit. Most all wheel lifts like that have a built in attachment for towing a trailer, he's also using the LED strobe on light bar.
Front trailer axle hup is missing it dust cap. Waiting to pass watching little bumps send truck stupid at one point 6' on shoulder & bring it back on road.
Gp fright trucks/ pickup here have amber + green strobes ON. Trailer is under rater Chevy was 5500 going down the road
Can't have green in this state.
Odd green strobes in construction faster speed
Florida
Here it's amber/red. Years ago green was rural fire dept.
past 1 odd color light was thats left lane gangs porch light now it's grab bag Chicago was the Michelin man's was every extra light on the front end
Truck are turning into
Looks like something seen south of Panamax or across the pond in Central Asia.
Injun drivers tend to do stuff like that.
Looks Good!
I’m seeing those here in western WA on flagged pickup trucks
I see WADOT using green lights on the freeway.
Yeah, and they are the ones holding court. I saw some today on WA DOT. I wonder when the law changed----for years green was not approved, but I also see where some states allow blues on a tow unit. Thing is--need to stay with Amber for movers and Amber/Red for tow/emergency--next thing you know every lowboy in the country will be running REDs---funny ones are the mass lights flashing with a 510 on a RNG.
News lately couple of stories on strobes blinding drivers or miss use ie not working or fashion past same as extra driving lights was a ticket nowadays off-road light bars /flashing on oh were is the board hardon DOT cop
I don't like them in fog for emergency use, I have nothing more than amber and red halogen rotators on the tow unit, will show up in fog. Reds came off a fire truck. *
Blue for most Fire around here now, still loads of Red Rotators on older machines, Amber on Emergency as Tow or Rescue vehicles Red and Blue alternating on most Police nowadays.
Yes, Blue & red together used only on police here. Have been seeing the green alternating with yellow as of late. What are they thinking with a blinking/flashing green ? "Green means GO"....
Florida said above. Green /amber means faster work zone speed limit over 55 *** I'd have duct tape over greens
I haven't heard the story yet, but this happened today near me. I was sent the picture so I didn't see it first hand
Would that be a new Vertical Drill rig?
Looks like a big trencher? Securement seemed to work…
Looks like a underground boring machine- vermeer navigator. The tanks on the truck pulling it, are for the drill fluid.
Nuttin another half mil won't fix.
Follow up post to accident above: Truck was cut off by another vehicle entering the highway from a mobile home park. Truck swerved hard to avoid a collision. Kinda sounds like he swerved one way, then back the other and the load went over. I'm hearing this 3rd hand so not the necessarily the best source.
At least base machine was not running and chains held. Get it back upright may have some soft tissue damage along Boom but small change compared to engine or other expensive pieces. Did roll most of drill stem off!!! Wonder how many bent?
Guess sitting in ready rack fell out & bounced as it rolled
Oversize load Biggest soda can I've ever seen.
Rocket ship? Elton John around?
Kiln ?
Change the truck to a 550 with 26,000 gvw. * Facebook www.facebook.com
Saw this death trap at the HD closest to me. That poor transmission in that little crossover.,
I am more concerned with the tail wagging the dog.......
Hence the "death trap" notation.
It came with an OEM class II hitch so you know they intended it for towing. And that extra little wiggle room the 2-5/16" hitch has on the 2" ball works just like a train coupler to help get the load moving. As for braking, if the OEM thought that was necessary they would have included a factory brake control and a 7 pin plug. Looks great from here! /End sarcasm/
Specification cargo tanks are required to have tell-tale holes anywhere reinforcing plates are welded over a product-bearing tank shell. So, cracks in the shell can be detected. This ol’e boy found a tell-tale hole dripping ULSD, so he drilled and tapped it for a pipe plug. Ingenious. Plus, he got a little carried away with the acid wash.
I don't know if you seen a converted two axle to three or four axle with two axle turntable. But some years ago there were many Clough's converted, and right at the reinforcing plates those would crack.
I was sent these pics last night. This accident was less than 3 miles from my house. Lime hauler moving too fast on country roads yesterday went for the ride of his life. I hesitated posting until I learned he survived. He was traveling west on Pfifer Rd, and must not have read the signs that show Curve Ahead, 25mph, as Pfifer transitions to Kingsbury Rd in the corner.
Looks like every piece on that consist is now scrap.
Older model Freightliner Classic.
Good way to do an undercoat job. Glad he survived. Was he loaded? I see a little bit of lime. Wonder if that classified as HAZ MAT.
It shouldnt as we dump it allover the fields and then spread it
But if in a ditch and spring rains wash it all into a creek or river.....
Problem is--there is now fluids from tractor mixed in. Depending on state EPA requirement it will more than likely be cleaned by enviro/hazard/spill contractor.
Yea, loaded. Roughly 50 tons of lime on the truck. A local contractor was called to clean the roadway. The farm that owned it wanted him to recover the lime and keep it clean. He said ***? The lime was in about a 2 inch layer all over the ditch. He recovered it, but said it sure wasn't clean. Ecological risk? Minimal. It was cleaned up completely within hours of it being dumped.
The right people with the right red tape never arrived.
Given where the wreck happened, I'm sure the township police, and maybe the county sheriff, were all that responded along with the fire department. I'll have to ask the contractor for details next time I see him.
I looked up Michigan's EPA requirements involving spills. It's kind of vague or wide open in some areas but the standard of 55 gallons diesel spill constitutes rules engaged. Being it was upside down and the fact Freightliner fuel caps leak, pretty sure it ran some out the vents quickly.
I'm not disagreeing with you about how it should have happened. It probably would have had more publicity and been handled more diligently had it been closer to a metro region. Or if those who responded, had been more properly trained.
Driver and or owner, should buy some lottery tickets.
Or slow down, hard to understand how people find the need to hurry. But around here it happens also with emergency grain loads to export, it's critical must get there yesterday.
This is from here in Missouri. Oversized, and the state given route was a u turn in this divided highway. To avoid a bridge. Of course they got stuck in the median, and shut down 4 lanes going each way. How many tow trucks? All of them.
I've seen some dumb things but that takes the cake
I learned early that the route you're given by the state on your oversize permit may or may not work in reality... If you're on that route and get in trouble it's your problem. Also, if you're not on that route it's your problem...
Crazy crap. Obviously the transport company didn't scope the route prior.
Whoever supervised that move is probably in the hot seat….
Moves of that velocity normally-like 99.9% of the time are permitted by state weights and measures for a route that is agreed upon by both state DOT and transporter. Transporter test runs the route and any changes are made for allowance before hand in a normal manner. In the case of this---well it's anybody's guess till someone is thrown under the bus and truth seeps out.
It must be a stagering weight. Hard for me to believe a rig that long can spread the load. I'd guess little weight on axles not near the load. Looks like they need more gravel to level up the median, then make the turn. Massive weight on some tires, could fresh, soft stone support that weight?
I count 16 guys standing around "consulting" and 1 guy on top of a truck looking like he might actually be doing something. Guess they need to bring in more actual workers to get er done. d.d.
Good thing they didn't have to do a turn like that with the 820 tonne vessel longer than a football field. I wonder how the weight is distributed when you have tires way past where the load is too?
Stupid is cheap good for you rig in the ditch.2005 Dump was $11hr/15 hoe experience left jobs at 18 Starbucks now $20
I see rigs with very many axles set up to evenly spread out the weight, typically hauling giant transformers. This seems to be a simple beam frame, I'd expect it to bend in the middle if each axle carried equal weight.
Using these photos I took of a Goldhofer platform mover {can be self propelled or pulled} use two systems air/hydraulic or mainly hydraulic suspension plus positive arch trailer to distribute axle weights in all directions. *
Hey, check the tire pressure on the trailer before we use it, would ya?? Lol
The 820 tonne vessel used 936 tires counting the trucks to move it. Need a dozen people or more just checking tire pressures! I'd guess they can adjust the suspension to spread out the load so the nearest tires to the load aren't taking all/most of the weight.
Most are equipped with Stemco TPS inflation systems.
I'm not an engineer. I see a vehicle hundreds of feet long, place equal weight on each axle, wouldn't it bend? I can't think of a flat place I've ever seen where it could support with all those wheels unless they all had 6 feet of travel vertical. Then I think of beam flex, to me it seems some axles couldn't reach the ground, others carry it all.
That's why, normally routes are engineered before hand.
This one here I photo'd some 9 plus years ago. Ox Bo had to span old county bridges. *
Multiple goosenecks and walking beams IMO is the best. If the terrain is flat, I can see using the platforms. But im just a transport engineer….
Shipping by rail is better yet.......
Well, not necessarily. Shipping by rail is usually a nightmare. There are often difficulites in loading, tieing down the load, size restrictions on rail bridges and tunnels, and unloading issues. Back in the late 80's, I was in charge of shipping a big O&K backhoe by rail from Texas to Miss. Then I shipped some B70 belly dumps from Montreal to Texas. All of these shipments were logistical nightmares. I vowed to never again get involved in a shipment by rail, and I have not done it since. In would pass on using rail.
That first photo is in a rail yard, unload/reload. A boiler built by Victory Energy in Oklahoma, not far from JY. Don't know the coast of that move but it was a expensive 47 miles to Lyons Ferry on the Snake River. Now the odd part--Union Pacific has a track that went within a hundred yards of the straw plant that boiler was built for, instead it came to Walla Walla first. A track that's rarely used. And the total disaster that ensued with that plant. A plant to boil wheat straw into fibrous goo to make all sorts of food handling containers--right up to insulation. Totally defunct--the whole process design and boiler couldn't process enough material in a 8 hour period to make a few dog houses. Investors poured millions into it--it's been kept on the hush hush but lawsuits out the butt is what's going on. A total DUD. * You can see the track in back ground *
That above is an example of the low level brain trust in the country. RR going right by but it had to be hauled 47 miles. There was a area to off load just out of photo on left.
When I was taking photos and standing right on the rail line that ran by that colossal dud for engineering--I remember thinking, this is a prime example of insanity. *
I only see the engineering side, rail can take some heavy loadings. Your feedback on the office side is good to consider. It's a shame the system is not more interconnected for easier hand offs, more expedited service.
The wonderful thing about that straw plant above,, it had a bunch of grant money involved.
The load would easily fit on a rail car too. It's not like it's extra long or way oversize.
It was on a rail car from Oklahoma to here. Both sets of tracks originate from same yard, but they railed it to WW then trucked it to LF. When it could just been railed from that yard to LF.
Why even unload it. Haul it straight to the site. Waist of time and a lot of money!
We loaded this up the other day. They were just moving it across the yard, but it was putting the hurt on the truck and trailer. It's a 25,000lb lathe.
Here is a strange one I saw the other day, not sure what to make of it. Trailer has air hoses run to it like normal. I don't know what kind of truck that is, never seen another one like it.
That's a Chevy 6500, replaced the old Kodiak line. They only use hydraulic brakes, but on-board air was an option.
That's a medium duty GM truck. 4500,5500, 6500. International makes the truck on contract for GM, they are actually being discontinued, this is the last year for them. He's got a load on, we set quite a few of those sewer boxes, and between those and that heavy old trailer, he's 35-40,000. The boxes vary by weight if they have internal chambers, but they are usually 7-10k each. So being generous, he's got 14,000 on top, and a 15,000 lb trailer. I don't think those are factory air brake trucks, but they do have a factory air ride. I have no idea how they have the brakes set up. Chevy Is Discontinuing the Medium-Duty Silverado That International Builds The trucks are the result of a joint venture that dates back to 2015, which GM has opted not to continue. www.thedrive.com
I even have an air compressor, factory on my GMC Sierra 1500. Reasonably certain it could be upgraded to a higher GPM and a day tank. When I gave it an AFM enigma, actually hooked up some tee’s and some air lines, with a check valve and hooked up a couple of air lines. One to the front and one to the back. Afterward, determined it was a bit nutty as I have a lot of cordless tools but have actually used it a few times, airing up trailer tires and a few other tools, I wanted air for. It does have enough umph to run an impact for each rim but certainly not neccessary at this point. Takes a while for a blow off nozzle.
That looks more like a G&L facing and centering machine to me.
They use it for turning railroad axles.
Do you have some other pix please ?
Not right now, we'll be moving it again this summer or fall, I'll try to get some pictures of their equipment, it's a bunch of big old specialized wheel and axle machines.
The trailer alone looks like a good load for the truck. Large tandem dually axles on the trailer and single wheels on the truck just seems out of proportion.
Truck is way too small but a very short move. If I have to move my Cat that's 3000lbs. or so lighter 15 miles on a similar trailer (pintle hitch), will pulling it with a tandem dump truck be reasonably safe if I go slow and have someone following me?
I had a 9 ton Economy trailer & a C65, 26,500 LB gross, 427 gas engine with air brakes on the truck, electric brakes on the trailer. I hauled a Case 580K backhoe. I think around 15,000 LBS. I wouldn't have wanted an ounce heavier. I learned after the fact my son had hauled heavier than that. One day Andy, one of the extra son borrowed it. My son got a desperate call: "I'm on the Dugway Road with Don's telehandler. I ran out of traction. The air brakes are holding me, but I let my foot off, I start sliding backward. You've got to go around & pull me from above." We got there 1/2 hour later. His legs were jello, but he was OK. With a 3/4 ton 4x4 pulling from above we got him up the hill. The telehandler weighed over 20,000 LBS! Dugway Road is 20% grade, 1 lane wide gravel. One side is a brook 10 feet below the road, other side is vertical ledge. The roadway was blasted from ledge. My advice is find a hauler with adequate equipment.
I'm not there Dave, and I don't know your truck or trailer. If you're doubting yourself, just have it hauled. Having someone follow you, isn't going to help a bit if you screw up, or don't have brakes. I don't know if you have the correct plates and drivers license for it, or insurance. Can you pass a medical? If you are doubting yourself, just have it hauled.
The dump truck GVW is 56,000lbs. but I'm going to talk to someone else at the gravel pit. They moved the Cat for me before no problem. I'd imagine the CEO will still be working for the new owners so I'll try to talk to him. The gravel pit said they would help with things and I also need to make sure I can still keep stuff at the old property for 2 years or more as part of the written agreement. The CEO is a pretty nice guy. To hire someone to haul the Cat would be over $900! That's a lot of money to move it 15 miles!
$900 sounds nuts. Any others around to get a quote from? Towing outfit?
Photo 1965, truck transporting part of rock crusher on it's side. Going down the old Lewiston grade aka "The Spiral Highway". Nothing but switchbacks dropping down towards Lewiston/Clarkston on the Snake River. Many a wreck on this old highway which is a scenic route these days. *
Ouch!
Too much “super” in the curve and not enough speed?
I'm a little confused. I thought you were talking about a small truck, as in pickup.
That's only $650 in us dollars. I don't think that's outrageous. Going to have a truck and trailer tied up for 1/2 a day, by the time he kicks the tires, drives to Dave's old yard, loads ties down, and drives to the new place, and unloads. Then back to the shop, . I know it sounds expensive Dave, but the flip side is, if you don't have license, insurance and plates, and someone is diddling around on their phone, it isn't going to be $900. They will sue you for everything you have.
Glad I had Jake’s !
For seeming forever highways built as that. In Missouri call the Roller Coaster highways as swap Up to Down as well as Severe corners. Hwys 5&7 around Lake of the Oz typical to that.
Spiral Highway-Old Lewiston Grade averages 4.68% grade some areas 6.5, and is 8 miles long with 64 corners. Drops 2000 feet to Lewiston.
I need to talk to the CEO of the gravel pit anyway so I don't think it will be difficult to get the Cat moved. There's also a loading ramp I need to move but it will fit on the same trailer as the Cat. The Cat will pick it up. I was only considering moving it myself as a last option. I only called one place just to get an idea and was shocked at the price but the guy did say the fuel charge really added to the cost and was likely to go up even higher. I was hoping to find a deck truck that could move it for maybe $350-$400. There is a farmer I now that's close that has a bunch of equipment and trucks. I think he might have a lowboy. That might be an option. I wish I could have got an in-transit permit like I did when I bought the truck. Good for 7 days to move a vehicle from point A to point B and costs $24. Don't need an inspection or anything just have to have commercial insurance or an insurance company that does commercial insurance. I think the rules now require you to have commercial insurance on another vehicle. When I got the in-transit permit the insurance company I had for my pick up did commercial insurance and that was sufficient. To get the best rate the insurance broker used a company that doesn't do commercial insurance. It saves me quite a bit. My insurance broker suggested I could sell the truck to a friend that has commercial insurance for a dollar and they could get an in-transit permit. Once it's moved, tear up the bill of sale. I can ask a friend if he has commercial insurance. I still think there should be some kind of provision where if you stay below a certain speed (like 30 or 25 MPH like a tractor) and have a pilot car or two you should be able to do one time short distance moves with vehicles that don't have insurance. The road I need to move it on has very little traffic. If I moved it at the right time I doubt I'd see any other traffic. As was mentioned in the other thread there is some big and extra heavy farm equipment allowed on the roads that is way sketchier and dangerous than pulling a Cat behind a tandem dump truck. There's also technically legal vehicles on the road that shouldn't be.
No, a heavy spec. tandem dump truck. I'd be slightly overweight for the trailer but the truck could take the extra hitch weight. It's got a heavy duty pintle hitch on it with I think an air cushion. There's like a brake pot behind it. Would only move the Cat myself as a last resort. I know a lot of people would just move it and it would be fine 99% of the time. It's the 1% I'm worried about if something odd happened or went wrong. Unfortunately there isn't a rural gravel road I could use. The distance is more than I'd just load it up and move it. If it was half the distance like 8 miles or I could go there on all back roads I'd be less worried about moving it myself. Wanted to get some opinions on what other people would do. I don't have boat loads of money. The money I have will be needed to upgrade the approach at the new property. I think it requires an $8000 deposit and I'm not sure what the development permit will cost. The rezoning application with help from a firm will be $18-$20,000. I'm only doing it because the property is perfect for dirt bike park. I see $$$$ signs when ever the sun is out. The property is sand and was dry 2 month's before anywhere else this spring. I could have had 100 riders a day on the weekends. Riders are itching to get back riding ASAP after a long winter. The endless waiting on the rezoning application is beyond frustrating.
I didn't realize there's a gravel road off the main highway I could possibly use if I can't get ahold of the gravel pit or find someone more reasonable. Not ideal but off the beaten path with only about 4 farm yards in 8 or 9 miles. Would only have to about a mile on pavement.
While I understand the anxiety and the concerns, myself, I would have it chained down and moved already. Way more scetchy stuff happening every day. Be as safe as you can and just move it.
I know there's lots of sketchier stuff on the roads.
326K views · 600 reactions | sparky hauling | Fred Williams sparky hauling www.facebook.com
That's not a lathe. That's an OD grinder, and would be used on the bearing journals and/or tapers on the axles. Works much like a lathe, but not quite. Can't tell, but maybe a Landis.
Well I ain't no machinist. Just a lowly crane operator. My measurement device is my eyeball, or what I can walk off with steps. Thousandths? If I'm within a foot or two, that's close enough... Its got motors that makes things go round and round on the bed. You boys call it what you want. Looks like a lathe to me.
Where is the grinding wheel ?
@DDoug Grinding wheel on that type is behind the spindle, across from the operator. Hard to see on that machine. May have been removed. The control switchbox has been robbed, so either it's been converted to some other means, or perhaps stripped of parts. It's an oldie, so maybe taken out of service. @crane operator Never met a lowly crane guy...just the proud ones. Hats off to you guys swinging real weight around. I get stuck on some toys and really don't like it when it gets over 40k
Cylindrical grinder, Landis seems a main manufacture. Similar to a crankshaft grinder except much smaller grind wheel, I ran a Van Norman 448 manual years ago.
It is ? On all the ones I have run they are. However, I don't see the master table, should be twice as big as the moving table. And I see (2) powered headstocks. Like on the crank grinder I ran. I still think it's a facing & centering machine, until more pictures show up.
You could be right. It may be a special purpose machine. I didn't realize we had front and back pics. I don't see a grinding wheel either. I do see the drag chains for head movement. Also noted the many leveling screws, typical of a very heavy, precise machine. No chucks for standard duty. Looks like centers/center holes.
Minganti. *
That sucks for that guy and everyone involved, but he wanted a new car/viral video/get on TV. Instead of trying to get the driver's attention and prevent further damage, he had time to get out his phone and start filming.
I think a drug test should have been required on this one!
She's dragging a tree behind the cab hitting cars past waving to stop you hear & see it coming .I want that cop no charges she should've been under arrest hit & run x12
Well, it is Hollywood.
Leaving the scene of an accident too. The cab on the truck couldn't have more visibility! How can she claim she didn't see or hear anything. The cop must be a dunce too to belief her. All the vehicle owners should get together and sue her. Surprised it wasn't in Florida.
Woman Drivers, NO Mirror Views, Just Dead On Forward Stare, Ignore all noises. Was at Hdwe Store Yesterday, coming out of lot is a Side Street to a stop at Hwy19/100, Car left Dollar General ahead and awaiting traffic at stop sign, I SAW and HEARD Fire Tanker coming, She NOT EVER Looked, no cars and she Pulled Out, AIR HORNS ROARING she pulled out onto the New Small Span bridge SB to the NON Existent Middle Lane and Slowed to a crawl, AIR HORNS Still Blaring and she then pulled into the NB Lane and stopped. Tanker ran on and I pulled out, she must have soiled herself as was sitting BOTH Hands crushing the Steering wheel as I passed in SB lane. Cop was just pulling up to her.
Great motorcycle road
This is really risky of me to say; Do you know why Hellen Keller couldn't drive? She was a woman.
Hellen Keller was the hide & seek world champ
Don't get on your high horses about women drivers. Just how many big burly, big bearded and bald headed with sunglasses and high viz vested do you think have rolled air ride dump trucks or tearing along with box up ripping out powerlines and/or have crashed into highway overpasses in just the last two years?????? * Gayle, the guy I worked with in the shop for 18 years, quit and went to work for a construction outfit "bigger pay he said". Well Gayle doesn't drive anymore, seems he had a few too many incidents and a wrecky-pooo. "Didn't dump the air on slightly uneven ground, plus hadn't checked the box for stuck material in the front, "rolled it on it's side". He is no longer allowed to drive for that company, at 81 he should have quit on his own with a clean record before being told his services are no longer needed, embarrassing way to end a CDL life.
Just a dumb joke. I know male stupid mistakes outnumber female stupid mistakes.
Another reason I gave it up except for Recreation, Getting older, Reflexes getting weak, was doing pretty much as Gayle as to work and figured Time to Stop BEFORE the Problems. Saw enough Young Schitts do same as well, Knew It All Done It All types. Have seen share of Little Frail old men cannot see above Steering wheel out to get Groceries and a New Bottle of Hooch 15-20mph in a 30, line to line in the lane, cannot see and NO reflexes so Brake Lights NOT Ever go out except as first leave a stop or park. Should be Using OATs services but too engrained to do it regardless.
In Australia the law has just been changed and now compulsory for all drivers over 60 to have an annual medical. Truck drivers have do an advanced version similar to private pilots. Here's the kicker, kids with ADHD who have lighting fast reflexes and a brains stuck in the bog cog get a free pass. So who do you think should be allowed to drive? This **** grinds my gears big time.
With the rate/percentage of obesity adding to heart/vascular issues in the u.s. population I think retirement age at 62 would be a good place to start with yearly physicals for CDL drivers. But physicals should only be done by no less than a nurse practitioner, just using the wrong size cuff will register a high BP, which is false positive. FMCSA estimates 12% of incidents annually are caused from medical events. As far as testing the rest--the best way is for companies to do a better back ground check a better interview and a top rate test drive, after all it's their business and insurance they are risking, along with the public.
After I turned sixtyfive in order to keep my CDL I am required to have driver's lisence medical every two years at 70 I believe it will be required every year.
A lot happens with health unseen factors in two years.
I didn't know it was sixty Tones, I thought it was a bit older than that. How longs it been 60, do you know?
Changed from 75 to 60 on the 1st of May. Barstards
Here, anyone with any prescription medicines, or conditions have to have the CDL physical annually. Finding a doctor to examine is a BIG challenge! My doctor explains that a weeklong course is required to get certification to examine. He said: "I'm qualified to teach the course, but not to give the exam."
It's more like--doctors don't want to deal with paper work and perform the physical exam because----it's just not as profitable as dealing with someone's toe fungus and all the lab work plus tests generated for the hospital/medical group they are associated with.
My last medical the doctor's nurse did most of it.
I should have done a little more research. Seems I read a bs MSM story. No changes have been made in Queensland. All over 75s need a medical certificate which is bulk billed by the doc. For drivers of heavy vehicles a further test is required, similar to private pilots medical and has to be paid for by the driver. Driver’s Licence Changes for Seniors from 2026 | What You Need to Know - Seniors First Australia’s 2026 driver’s licence changes explained for seniors. Medical checks, state-by-state rules, and tips to stay driving safely. seniorsfirst.com.au
Here if BP is testing on the allowable high range, examiner can issue a 1 year only medical certificate.
Same here in CA.
Glad to hear that Tones. Was starting to get cranky, I'm only a few years off 60, and didn't think I needed to be worrying about my driving ability declining to a dangerous level just yet.
I would think the roads around your area are the greater risk, they seem to be declining to a dangerous level.
Been quiet, too quiet on the roads around here. The school bus drivers have been on strike and weight restrictions are keeping the dirt haulers off the roads. See a few sewage tankers and the normal refuge trucks and that’s about it.
Headed to town, last minute necessities. Behind this guy doing 20mph. Deere 6120, loader frame, MFWD. TWO 3/8” chains, ONE front ONE Rear. Rear tire would lift almost off deck as made SLOW Corners. F250 srw GAS crew 8’ box. At least trailer had duals. And yes can chew my butt for snapping pic, in a cradle at WS
*** farmers get away with everything!
TWO chains?!! And driving carefully? That can't be a farmer... I'm pretty sure they mostly use the gravity cargo securement plan...
That back chain should not be at such a low angle.
Found this on the road near my home.
Was used on the Mayflower.
NMR, $45
A Lebus to boot!
Looks like someone repaired it once before!
Toyota Badges removed 72 month loan Buy here, pay here Cali plates Goofy tires. Welcome to your new PCS, soldier!
Bad boy is 1 sheared nut away from a good time I'm sure the reduced brake power is helpful poor 1 ton
At the loves on HW 59 at cleveland texas there will be 4 or 5 of those trains blocking all the gas pumps. Not a license plate on anything.
Saw fleets of These in SD. Maybe not overloaded But JEEZ!! Not super singles but Duplex size tires.
Would even gold be a load for this?
Enough axles for about 380,000 lb ?
I just like the fact a Freightliner is latched to the kingpin and not a PacCar.
If Look Closer, BOTH of those Side Dumps ARE Loaded, are trucking mixed soil to a Site where rock is separated out then hauled elsewhere. Wife Missed getting pic of that site. Company here uses Single Side Dumps similar just without the extra axles, routinely haul to 80/84,000 gw with them Filled, yet here are required to have rollover tarps.
What, you’ve never seen a Chevy towing a Ford before?!
I think GoodYear, Firestone, and Michelin had paid lobbyist's for that rule....
Probably let too much cable out and bounced the can off the ground when trying to shake those last rocks out, no straps involved when trying to shake the can, ask me how I know that. Luckily when I did it was at the landfill and there was a big excavator there to scrape frozen crap from cans.
Data Centers for Amazon and Google going in N of here, averaging some 150-250 Truckloads of Crushed stone for footjngs and base mat per day from upwards of Three Quarry systems. Local hole has had to drop short wall five times in as many weeks for screening and crusher runs. See up is for last week, Quint Dump for a close locale company got picked off by DOT and taken to DOT Hwy Dept Yard also near for inspect and scale. Seems had 14 violations for maintenance, and was 17,000 Over Gross License weight. Tried to play Commercial Zone card, Failed. Got to the level of measuring Bridge Formula, REGARDLESS total axle spread weight was outside bridge fornula. Licensed 80k but by formula only allowable to 71,500. That started the cascade. Short end dumps next and Quads as well All manner of rig set ups. ALL failed Bridge Formula as lengths shut it off. Old Quads at previous employer are down to 67,800 scalable and the Tandem drop axle on that short end dump I used to drag, 73280 MAX regardless how many axles. MO DOT Brownshirts have come to attention!!! Rules are Back On.
Should have laid a shortline RR to the site....
That's good, if rules were followed, wouldn't need to enforce.
Dont even need a Freightliner for that a F350 will do it
I finaly got a rig to hual my little skid loader.
All that material needs drivers, when ya getting back in the saddle, or is the 7th retirement the charm?
Us older need to let the younger take over, and let them learn from their mistakes.
Wrong side of Interstate, N&S Rail 1/2 mile N of I-70, they bought S Side.
HOWEVER, Less than three Miles to the East the N&S IS on the South side where is Overpass established to cross I-70
AK Trooper Dispatch from yesterday. This guy was returning from the Fairbanks Costco with a trailer and a pup. The midnight sun makes some people crazy. Location: Cantwell, Parks Highway Type: REDDI, Fail to Yield, CMV DUI, Assault 3rd & other charges Dispatch Text: On 06/19/2029 at 1648 hours the Alaska State Troopers received a REDDI report about a blue semi-truck pulling double hazmat tankers going southbound north of Healy. The truck was tailgating, flashing moose light at cars in front of it and passed dangerously causing at least one driver to take evasive action to prevent a serious injury or fatal collision. AST located the semi-truck at Mile 231 Parks Highway where it was observed tailgating other vehicles. AST initiated a traffic stop and the truck continued on for 5 miles continuing to drive dangerously while in heavy traffic and it was raining. When it stopped the driver was identified as Ryan Matheny, age 40 from Fairbanks. Investigation determined Matheny was under the influence of alcohol while operating a commercial motor vehicle and while he was hauling gasoline tankers. Ryan was arrested and remanded to FCC where he was held without bail pending arraignment for Fail to Stop at Direction of a Peace Officer 1st, Assault 3rd, CMV DUI, DUI, Reckless Driving, Reckless Endangerment, operating a CMV with an Out of Service Violation due to having alcohol in the vehicle which was not on the cargo manifest. A licensed and sober driver from the same company, International Airport Services took possession of the truck. AST is requesting any motorist who had to take evasive action due to this truck to contact AST Dispatch in Fairbanks at (907)-451-5100.
Roadloading in a doubles fuel tanker, what could go wrong?
Sounds normal, nothing shocking could take place anywhere anytime in the lower 48.
1 of 4 999's, and 1 track of 1 of 3 11000's. Wind farm.
if you zoom in, there is a guy UNDER the nose of the trailer steering it. They were trying to miss our mailbox. I told the guy hanging out of the cab, "use my yard, use my drive, just get him out of there!" They just laughed, scared the **** outta this old man!!!
136K views · 1.2K reactions | Old boy went on a wild ride after his brakes left the chat #trucking #truckdriver #truckers @topfans | Truckers Wall of Shame "Unchained" Old boy went on a wild ride after his brakes left the chat #trucking #truckdriver #truckers @topfans www.facebook.com
999 with tracks, and butt section is around 140,000. Surprised they dont' have the trailer controls configured with a remote. The military trucks are easier to find surplus, than the trailers. Trucks are still 8v92's.
I been waiting on ya, figured you would know. Yep on the 8v92, can hear him coming a mile away. Since it's county roads they can run as wide or heavy as they can haul. Now, a thousand feet west of that pic, they walked the 999 and the 11000 from one site to another across our road. They covered the road with 3 feet of stone sand with timber mat approaches. In the dark, headlights show the tracks of the 11000, and you can feel the bumps when you cross. I was told 1 million pounds...
M1070A1 has a Cat C18. C18 swap be a modern KTM for a long hood or Grove.
Some of those trucks have c18 in them tho those may not be in the surplus yet
Invented by "Herman Cain" mister 999.
Everything I've seen surplus, has still been detroit.
Once the cats hit gov planet theyll get top dollar everyone will be wanting the c18 to stuff in the petercar and get 2.3 mpg
A1 have been in service for 15yrs now past see crazy prices paid 180k for'em buyer must have saw a kitty. Cab over 8x8 Oshkosh's have c15 cheap at auctions
There are a couple of the trailers for sale around Midland, Texas There is a Detroit powered HET available in Roswell, NM
I like watching these B-trains on the Alaska Hwy. 50 tons of high grade gold ore. 24/7, 240 miles from the Manh Choh to Fort Knox. 60 round trips per day. I see Black Gold Express is opening a truck shop in Tok. $54 hr and 10% 401K match. All the hrs you can handle. 3 hots and a cot.
Geez, there's an awful lot of tyres under the jigger for 50 tons.
Per compartment--the last three axles should be 44,000 as a group it's self. * Oh that's a deal with all the beans and weenies covered in american cheese. Looking up the cost of living with inflation in alaska, most of the time it isn't such a good deal. But if BGE throws in a few extra german dogs each day they might snag a few large ones.
Neat highway project in Dakotas IH Payhaulers pulling double highway bellys
54/hour sound like it will barely buy a floor sweeper.
They won’t find anyone, and if they do, - 70F temps next winter will run them off. Last winter was the last straw for a lot of folks. Lots of U-Hauls headed South this summer, keeping the trend of out-migration happening.
Black Gold Express is managing to retain and hire drivers, though. For a year-round gig and good benefits. Probably a decent driving gig. It’s not exactly easy to get on with them.
Don't tempt me with a good time. If I could justify owning a surplus truck and trailer, I would. There's a guy up in Kansas doing heavy haul and has a truck and trailer for transformers, etc.
That has to be Guthmiller. He loves to think outside the box.
IIRC up North east Canada way is a mine haul railroad, fully autonomous. Railways in Labrador & Quebec North Shore www.sinfin.net Scroll down to end: Iron Ore Company of Canada - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org Automatic train operation - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org
Aw heck, I can resist anything but temptation, how about you ? Never seen a luggage rack on a hearse. When the HET goes away, a HEMTT will replace it.
I saw a HEMTT recently with STR Alaska decals and DOT numbers, in Nome recently. First time seeing one in fleet service.
The Black Gold Express Drivers have to dodge kids waiting for the school bus and the occasional bullet. Shots fired at separate Alaska transport trucks prompt attempted murder investigation Alaska State Troopers are investigating two highway shootings that targeted trucks from the same company in Interior Alaska, leaving both drivers uninjured but prompting an attempted murder investigation. www.alaskasnewssource.com
Operating small or large scale in 2026 is so fraught with obstacles most of the older owners are looking to move on. With all fixed & unfixed costs plus finding consistent labor the midnight headaches are tough the older one gets. The more miles operated without incident the odds climb with major accident involvement. Insurance companies dictate who will be hired and not. A major downturn in the construction industry/economy anything related to it transportation gets fence rowed. Flat bedders are first to park, then dry freight, bulk pneumatic is next. The only piece of the pie to stay reasonably safe is refrigerated/frozen. People have to have food and fuel, and fuel transport is locked up. Remember 2008? We parked 8 to 9 consistently out of 49 total at that time. All still requiring truck/ trailer payments, things were pretty thin for awhile. Not to be negative, but what was a good consistent haul for years or even a year can disappear overnight with all the transport companies in same boat fighting over the same carcasses.
Always find someone can do it cheaper.
Now worries about flat tyres either.
Makes for a nice ride too. Joe H
Reminds me of the dinosaur taxi on The Flinstones.
Saw this the other day going 65 mph down the interstate. Had my son take the pictures so I could keep my hands on the wheel. No chains at all. Driver looked cool as a cucumber. ♂️
Not one on calling the fuzz on folks but I'd would have had to dial up *HP on that death trap.
They are putting out a invitation for someone to call, so no bad feelings at that point.
Chance it's stolen
What happens with too fast too close. * Facebook www.facebook.com
Real or AI, who knows these days. 10K views · 1.7K reactions | How do you even manage to be in that situation @seb_veridique34 #fail #truck #haul #funny #error | FIFO Australia How do you even manage to be in that situation @seb_veridique34 #fail #truck #haul #funny #error www.facebook.com
Reckon it's AI, not to many trucks have that configuration of rear axles in Oz, Europe yes.
Not really an overload but definitely a woopsie, truck driver nearly rolled my 988 and also nearly took out the diesel tank
Better eyes than me Tones, I didn't even look that closely when I posted. Yep, looks like single, not dual wheel, I would assume lazy axle. You see them on buses over here but not trucks.
Something fishy going on at mile 15 of the Seward Hwy this morning. Lots of tourists are going to be late for their charter trips today. Conversely, the bears are trilled about the free meal.
I thought the bears liked Picnic baskets.....
Funny looking hatchery truck. Ride to processor, poachers, fish wheel score, Salmon Fest?
Attention Maintenance< Liquidious Spill Aisle?...........Ah hell EVERY Aisle!!
Yup. Headed and gutted. Going to Anchorage for the fresh retail market. That happened at 10pm. The Hwy was finally opened to one lane traffic at 3am.
1988--Provisioner's lade a frozen load of King and Snow {Tanner} crab over in cayon between Ellensburg/Yakima. It was 88 degrees out, insurance investigator from Yakima showed wrote the load off, take what you want. Hauled 16 cases of King into tavern, free crab. Craziness ensued, people setting around making a mess chewing on rubber bands.
Where's Little Annie Fanny?
He drove in & parked I'm not a smart man but I'm sure I could find a better place for cases of water,jugs of def & chain. Around here idiots let the wind suck out trash bags/lose coolers from there boat, it's common going to the lake it looks more like a landfill road.
Don't see that everyday. Pretty good backing up too!
Wow! How fast do you have to go to do that? Does he load it on the trailer at a boat ramp?
Might have just replaced the wheels with pontoons. Have to do that someplace and in the water doesn't seem like a choice.
Is this done from time to time or was it someones hair brained idea? It looks like it went really well!
I can remember as a kid a local tourist company did the same thing but off a flat deck truck. The truck was flatout at 60mph and the plane got off ok.
Actually easier to take off from the trailer than the lake, no drag or suction on the floats. Have been up in the bush before on small lake, perfectly calm day (sucks for fishing as well) pilot couldn't get enough lift to take off, asked if we could do zig zags with the boat to make enough chop to reduce water suction on pontoons or some technical crap like that. Two boats making waves and he cleared the trees, neither of us got run over.
Guy driving the truck probably kept pulling back on the wheel as he saw the end of the runway coming up.....
Trip to Anchorage as a Kid, Uncle took us out to the Base Camp for Caribou Season on Tundra, was a "Lake" more like a Septic Pond near the camp where they had hauled in the "Truck" and materials to build the Dirt Floor accommodations and Meat Shack on Stilts. We were to Clean up then the Pilot that took us out would return after few days take us back to Anchorage. Long Story Short, his PREVIOUS Aircraft 5 passenger single engine on floats would have had little trouble to bring us out had engine issues so he ended up with a WACO on Floats with a HUGE Radial on the Nose. Close to DOUBLE in Size and weight where managed to Land where was near to a Full Stall yet used near All the Water to get slowed to turn and come back to shallow end. Gathered our Stuff, he was counting Ounces, had us leave some shovels and larger hand tools had brought up, engine was left idling to Use Up FUEL for launch weight. When we went to take off water was SMOOTH Slick so he motored out and proceeded to Zig and Zag to get any form of Waves on surface then almost dragged pontoons at shallow end to launch. Had Prop at Hard Full Pitch, Engine at Max throttle and as much flaps as could dial in, we could hear brush against pontoons as left the Lake. Uncle later stated was sweating PROFUSELY as we took off.
So Fun Morning, Rains on, Cousin did use the Goose for his Fence Posts and thanked me where asked if I could come get it as he was having to haul wife to Son's house, Sick grandbaby. Went over got the goose and came back, fueled the Ford and as fueled Guy in a F150 dragging a 35? ft Fifth Wheel rolled up to gas pumps, whining all the time Bad Gas Mileage, No Power on little Hills, worried of rain to get home as trailer pushed a LOT. New Brinkley. Looked across pumps at me asked what I was looking at!! NO Hesitation, stated A Half Ton where a Ton is nearly not big enough. he Scoffed, then blurted Sales Gal at Camping World said would be Fine, Just fine, and scoffed again. Needless to say I poked the Bear, asked if ever read his owner manual on towing capacity, or bothered to look at Door Label. Another Scoff pfffft. His Wife/Gal Friend/Passenger yelled he was too stupid to check. Folded her arms across chest and stared forward. I Finished fuel up and LEFT. Looked up a 3515 Brinkley, 14,000lb DRY Empty, pin weight near to 2600. Ford appeared as Later 2020s by Styling, nearer to new, so looked up ratings. No Idea what engine or trans or gearing or if even had tow package where Max could have ever been he was two Ton OVER GCVWR, and at least a thousand over Bed Cargo Capacity. What is with the Morons?????
With RAIN on the way ^^^ I hope he took the bilge drain plug (or what ever you call it) out so the boat don't get heavier....like hauling hay without a tarp.
Not so much a boat as a Barge RV
At a rest stop on I89 in New Hampshire, me pulling a 6500 LB tow behind with a GMC 2500 with 6 litre, & 4:11 gearing feeling barely adequate. An F150 went flying down the hill at 80 MPH towing a 35 foot fifth wheel. Newish F150s do have twin turbos ?3.5? litre. They do a lot, but I have to think short engine, transmission, brake, differential life.
All that, and an awfully big tail waggin' that dog.........
"Yabutt...the trailer has electric brakes..." Yes....however: 1. You still to steer it (tail waggin' the dog ^^^ is spot on) 2. and your whole life hangs in the balance over qty (1) piece of #12 ga. wire at the trailer brake connector. "Yabutt it's got a breakaway brake box" Yes: 1. and you'll want the trailer to depart from the truck at the moment your screaming down the hill with no brakes, as that's the only way that system works. Maybe rig some baler twine from the breakaway switch thru the back winder of the truck ?
Half ton ads it's a double dog dare of stupid .90s 6 wheel 1ton iron block was 12k
Exactly My Point.
Wife and I have a 34' travel trailer that is probably pushing 10K lbs with all the **** she has crammed in it. I would rather pull a skid or a mini on my 15K lb pan trailer all day and any day of the week rather than that rolling billboard. Refuse to pull the RV on the Interstates due to the vacuum 18 wheelers make when they pass - pushes my F350 all over the road that weighs around 10K with all my **** crammed in it. Saw a trailer similar to ours behind a Tundra hauling ass down the hwy the other day, nose way in the air - sent a chill down my spine. Problem is a suit that has never pulled more than a lawn mower trailer behind his SUV reads the above info on the Ford F150, buys a 30' plus camper trailer, packs another 2500 LBs of crap in it then sets off at 75 MPH down the highway. Next thing you know this rig is piled upside down in the HWY median.
I think some refer to the mess as a "yard sale"?
Number two son lives 70 miles from me. He had my IH 385 utility tractor with loader & scraper blade. I'll estimate 6000 LBS on a ?1900? LB trailer, about 8000. He drove it one way, I retrieved it a few weeks later. It struggled a bit up a 12% grade, (it had to be geared down). Otherwise it behaved fine. His is 3.5 litre with twin turbos.
Years back, I had a 2001 GMC 2500 van 5.7 litre with Quigley 4x4 conversion. they lift them 4" rear and 3" front for looks & oil pan clearance. Bought my first camper trailer 6000 LB GVWR. Salesman assured me I wouldn't need any special towing equipment. First 1000 mile round trip, I couldn't stand it! I had already bought a load equalizing hitch, but tail wagging was awful! I spotted a small sign on the lawn of a small house: TRAILER HITCHES SOLD & INSTALLED. I turned around. An hour later, I had a sway control installed & my sway problem was solved!
Good time with my dad we drove close to 400mile ea way to buy a Cat D2 dozer hauled it home on a u-haul car trailer & 1500 5.9 v8 no issues pulling low weight vs a 40' 6 ton billboard under a half ton see the bed & cab flexing going down road on razor edge of failure like CM said his 1 ton had trouble holding it lane.
And part of the reason for that is these later tractors like the one below. Once a speed of 40 mph is reached the suspension automatically lowers another 2", the front air dam and skirting is just inches off the road surface creating/pushing turbulence as they pass, very little air flows under creating drag. *
Thus MY reason for the Blue Beast!
Here was our rig. A diesel, F350 and a 35' RV. I felt this was a good match, but probably should have gotten a dually for better stability. We sold it a couple of years ago and retired from the world of RVing. It always felt very stable, even with singles on the rear. (did not want duals, as they don't fit through the car wash). Before that, we had a 30 footer and hauled it with a dodge 2500. Mostly, out on the highway, I see trucks that have grossly oversize trailers behind them. Have see n a lot along the roadside, upside down, too.
That's nice.
I think some people just do this for the “pic”. Nobody is this stupid. Oh wait…..
# AI Those tires would blow out.
A 5th wheel is a different animal than a bumper pull as far as towing. Wife and I would prefer a 5th wheel but the L tank and tool box doesn't allow the room for the hitch and turn radius in the bed. One day when I retire or win the lottery we'll have a truck with no tank or tool box so we can have a 5th wheel.
It doesn't seem like that is real. The truck would be on the ground. most of the weight it ahead of the axles. You know how much weight that is on a lowboy, if that really happened the truck and the trailer would be in a lot worse shape.
No way that's real. It looks like somebody used Photoshop to stretch the trailer which makes the tires oval. I can't read the model number but it looks like at least a 320 so at least 50k and would mash that single tire trailer and pickup to the ground.
Yes, different for sure. We started out with a 26' bumper pull, then eventually moved over to a 5th wheel. There was some learning curve involved. They do make a nice tool box with the fuel tank built under the box. That might work for you, especially with an 8' bed. Fitting everything the way you want it can be a chore.
Looks exactly like my first hand me down truck, but 1/2 ton and not near as shiny.
No room in the box well do I have the fix for you the West Virginia Chevy "jeep" sold at Walmart parking lots.
I've looked at those combo fuel/tool boxes but neither is big enough. I run a 90 gal L-tank and the small Weatherguard box. The 17' and up Ford superduty beds are wide enough to get the larger L tank between the fender wells. Older short bed models were narrower so one had to use the smaller 70 gallon L tank. Sometimes 90 gallons is not enough. Ha! They actually make a 5th wheel dolly. The Freedom Hitch: The Best Way To Tow! freedomhitch.com Not so sure about loading a big 5th wheel up and heading down the road with one though.
Just adds another wobble point for tail wagging
Too bad it's not zoomed out far enough to get the whole rig. The RV is probably pulling a boat pulling a couple jet skis...
Powered by a triple turbo 2l v6 making 600hp it can do it just duct tape jiffy pop on the out side of the hood so can watch the exhaust/egr temperature if it getting hot
Pyro gauge is pegged it's snack time
Ah yes, the bright idea of a wiggle wagon RSH. Wind? A recreation vehicle driver hasn't lived till heading west on I-90 from George drifting down the grade on east side of Vantage bridge making the sweeping right hand turn heading west across the bridge with 40 to 50 mph wind gusts. The state should have placed a clothes line on both sides of bridge to display the many pairs of extremely soiled shorts from the trailer tires lifting gaining air clearance to pavement. Many a RV has met it's demise on that west bound corner, in a fully loaded semi the steer tire can be on the fog line and looking in the mirror the left trailer tires are dog tracked to center line. Picked up many a camper/trailer/RV there years back blown over shredded scattered through the sagebrush at cliffs edge.
I remember that piece of road from years ago. We came through with a truck and camper. White knuckles would be putting it mildly. d.d.
I don't know how much storage you need, but there are a few companies that make a 90 gallon tank with an integrated toolbox section that are bed rail height. These hybrid service bodies aren't cheap, but they are cheaper than a second truck.
The combos with 90 gallons I have looked at the storage side isn't big enough. That's a nice tool body - who makes it? BTW - not driving a 450/550 as a daily driver. Might as well be a covered wagon they ride so rough.
Hughes Equipment in Ohio. They make SRW beds as well, but the boxes aren't as deep.
On a different note, driving to shop today I spied three individuals at the college CDL school looking at a tractor with hood up, so I stopped to shoot the breeze. Two of them were instructors just looking the X15 over under the hood. The one knew who I was because the school is located about 5 blocks away from shop at airport. Anywho one thing led to another and I was asked if I could or would be able to stop by during class times to share old school experience of what to look for mechanically and tips for driving in good and bad weather. I said {sure be glad to}.
You could have a good part time side business doing truck inspections for buyers looking at used trucks.
This Thursday I will start driving grain again for harvest, between then I might have a trip to Jerome Id to pickup a new Western Star, I have half of my annual fence staining done, still have that to do, plus all the fall trimming to do. Plus a trip to Lebanon Ore to bring the 351 back and start that process. I think I have enough crud on my plate as it is.
Just thought you could make some easy money. I basically took the weekend off. Trying to keep as normal routine as possible and looking after the kitty cat. Hard to wrap my head around losing my partner of 22 years. I'm not sure how I should be feeling or what I should be doing.
Think those feelings are normal and come with the sudden void of someone close not being there.
When you go to Lebanon, you could check out the Santa Maria valley railroad #205. I doubt this engineer will still be there….
Just over loaded on fun tonight
Just received billing on my Rock Haul, 1" base or Inch Minus as we know it was 52 Ton, at $13/t, raised two days later to $16.50. Just over $700 with the $34 fuel I insisted to pay.
Super cheap! I'll pay that for 25 ton delivered within 10 miles of the quarry.
Tomorrow afternoon at 2 I will give 16 CDL students information on {Air Disc & Drum brakes} along with {Driver Etiquette} behind the wheel and away from it while on duty. All volunteered time. * https://www.wwcc.edu/programs/commercial-truck-driving/
Nice dump truck!
I wish I could attend. All I know about air brakes is to not mess with the brake pots because they are like the recoil death springs on crawler tractors. I should probably take a course just so I have a good understanding and could do repairs if need be. Good for you to give the course. It really helps when the instructor really knows his stuff! My dad used to drive over 4 hours to give a course on sharpening reel mowers at a turf grass college. I think all he asked for was to be paid for the gas he used to go there and back. It is much easier now thanks to spin grinders and digital controls but was a real art on manual sharpeners. Some golf courses would only have their reels sharpened by my dad. He sold a lot of sharpeners too and they pretty much came with hands on instructions. At one point he considered setting up a strictly sharpening business. He would have been busy. Biggest thing is to wear a proper mask. Grinding dust is really bad for the lungs.
I'm just adding to the coarse. Decided that instead of people possibly becoming celebrity additions to Darwin awards or ending up on FB threads for stupid trucker of the week, should probably add to the schools CDL class as someone who managed a fleet and delt with lots of personalities. Might help a few that listen.--and it's something to do that's free.
I think this is a great way to help the new drivers! Thanks for doing it.
Way to go TS. I’d come up and throw in my 2 cents too but im sure you got it covered. One of the things I’ve always pushed was, if yer going to go off a steep long hill, stop on top, bounce the tires, feel the hubs then shut the engine off and apply the brake to 40lbs and check for air loss. But I know that you know that.
I'm sure you would have much to add. I only have a hour and thirty minutes but expect to cover as much as possible without loading them up with so much that causes lost interest. Most of it will be wheel ends, tires & how jakes operate and when become most effective. The etiquette part is mostly about how professionals behave while behind the wheel.
I don't see travel across the country in my future, but that is a bit of education I'd like a better understanding of. There is a rudimentary explanation of air brakes in the driver's manual, but not near as in depth as it could be. Compressor, air valve, foot valve wheel cans & the mechanical components at each wheel I have an understanding of. There are half dozen other air components I don't understand.
I got my CDL before the course was mandatory. I consider myself to be a decent mechanic but the air brake info in the book was quite confusing. I memorized what I needed to pass the test then started driving. After hauling logs in our climate for a couple winters I understood how the whole system worked quite well and I had fixed most parts of it at one time or another
For sale today. $30 . Just a mildly used hitch.
$30 that's a steal hard to find they keep your trailer in line
Only worn on one side.
Flip it!!
That was a out of service hitch--replace before moving.
What is the regulatuin on a eye visable wear?
Falls under 49 CFR 393.71 , tow rings. Simply said, a tow ring is allowed no more than 18-20% wear or 1/8”.
How do you wear a pintle hitch that much? Had to be a lot of movement and rubbing or maybe ground down to fit a smaller latch/hook? Wonder what the latch/hook mechanism is like?
IDK.? The air compensated hitches do a great job of reducing pintle wear. Back in the old days, the worst pintle wear I witnessed was on pole trailers. Back then, it was still common practice to weld over the worn part of the eye. Then, in the mid-90’s, maybe, FMCSA put a stop to that. Truck Shop will remember when that was.
IIRC 1993. Too many variables with welding effecting integrity in such a crucial area for it's intended use. That one's life end was more that slightly overdue. High percentage of trailer kingpins are also a out of service item. Umatilla Ore port of entry scale just loves ot throw a emphasis inspection on eyes/pintle/kingpin & fifthwheel jaws. Typically they scratch a line on the bottom of greasy trailer bolster after they have you back against pin with trailer brakes set then pull ahead, then place it out of service, then hand out a ticket. Then you call a mobile welding fabricator that specializes in replacing kingpins, then you spread your cheeks, all taking place in that exact order.
It sounds like I may have a few trailers that need new eyes
I've always wondered what they are made of? It doesn't seem reasonable that a ring 1-3/4" thick can handle a 30 ton trailer. 20 years ago an excavator explained: "I buy a 20 ton excavator, it's as big as I can legally haul behind a dump truck." More recently, I see a lot of 30 ton tag along trailers. Only pintle I can recall snapping off was 50 years ago, kid I went to school with got his CDL still in high school. His boss blamed him. He argued he wasn't at fault the ring broke off & the chains broke too. Heavy damage to the skidder and trailer. They did fine and fire him, Vermont at the time required you be 21 to drive commercialy.
IIRC--equivalent of 4140, I read some years ago sticks in mind.
Distinct Forged Steel.
I had one break off. Early 90s. It was welded to the front of this shop built stinger dolly to run chains thru. Going thru some curves on hwy 166 east of Santa Maria Ca. A tense moment….
Ol' excavator had custom fab built lifting eyes all but 1 blue was replaced with 4 rated trailer pintle eyes the abuse they took from the winch & machine not fail was impressive
A pintle hitch isn't a very tight fit like a king pin/fifth wheel. A lot of bigger tillage equipment uses forged pintle rings. I've replaced several of these heavy forged rings over the years as they wear, usually on the inner diameter of the ring. I've also replaced draw bars and hammer straps on the tractor side as they wear too.
I didn't considering it might have been on an implement with a lot more play. I know the really heavy pintle hitches on dump trucks have an air cushion that holds the ring pretty tight. Even the standard one I have on my trailer doesn't have that much play. I much prefer the pintle over a 2 5/16" ball. No messing around if the coupler gets stuck and doesn't want to release.
Are these used at all in the US or Canada? Bartlett Ball Couplings • Bartlett • Integrated Towing Solutions Bartlett Ball Couplings TRUE TOWING PERFORMANCE Bartlett Ball trailer Couplings - designed and engineered in Australia to perform supremely in virtually integratedtowingsolutions.com Pindel couplings are pretty much a arbor business thing for towing chippers here.
If theres one of them in the US of A i never heard of it
"Boss, how much more complication can we jam into a simple ball hitch ?".....
I've never seen one. I wonder how the threaded latch bolt would work with our winters in North America. Snow, ice, and salt/deicer are a real maintenance issue for anything using a threaded connection. Threaded chain binders come to mind... Along with that is the discomfort of crouching under a truck box that's dripping icy, salty, water down your back while your coupling or uncoupling... It's probably not as bad as I think it would be. I'm used to the speed of coupling or uncoupling a pintle hitch... What is the benefit of the Bartlett coupling over the Ringfeder? I think the Ringfeder looks like an improvement over the pintle hitch.
If you had one, you wouldn't have to worry about anyone stealing your trailer!
Ringfeder is the way to go, if it suits the application. Only downside and really the only reason Bartlett Balls exist is that a Ringfeder can't handle downweight. All the converter dolly's used to make up our roads trains are tandem or tri axle and therefore self supporting, ie don't put any drawbar weight (apart from the drawbar mass itself) onto the Ringfeder hitch. All converter dolly's also have a hinged drawbar, Bartlett Ball drawbars will be rigid. Bartlett Ball, Pintle Hitch etc all are rated for substantial vertical load, Ringfeder isn't.
What Pony said plus there's no slop with them.
Wild guess: Drop forged & heat treated. The critical importance of these things is BIG!
Cannot beat simplicity. Standard Pintle or typical Holland style fifth wheels. All others overcomplicate to extremes add no intrinsic safety.
This company has been building easy replace for a while-in 2" & 3.5" and gives a rundown on specifications. Funny thing is the idea of replacement pins was SAE all the way back to the concept of fifthwheels, never changed till late 90's. * 2-inch and 3.5-inch Semi-Trailer King Pin 2-inch and 3.5-inch semi-trailer king pin frequently referred to as the “pivot point www.trilextreyler.com
Just how many have broke? Pretty rare to see one fail even in a major wreck, fifthwheels ripped from frame before pin failure.
These folks passed me doing 80 goin south on I-5 near Santa Nella. Those kayaks were vibrating like an untwisted 4” strap! I backed off and stayed way back.
Oblivious….(I suspect…)
Santa Nella, use to fuel there, not far from Los Banos--that's where all the bathrooms are.
I saw one suspending a goodly part of the tractor with the left side drivers in the air over the cliff on Roza grade. That was an eye opener. Steers were on pavement. One of those bad days when they closed the high road and the canyon was no better.
I worked that one as assist to Highway Towing in Yakima.
Mom was taking one of her attractive young nursing students home to Ellensburg and I was along for the ride. We had no clue the top was closed, we just knew it was bad. The night I am talking about, at the North end before that first horse shoe bend a tanker went off to the right, rolled over, and stripped off the axles like so many lincoln logs as it slid along on it's side.
Known as {Eight Mile Curve} eight miles from the burg, I remember the wreck.
Developing story in Alton IL. Crane Contractor from PA killed at the Shuttered Alton Steel plant. Initial reports is a Hook Parted on a chain, the load fell crushing him.
So the doggman was standing under the load?
No details yet. Awaiting news releases
Actually happened 6/20, a "Hook" failed where a "Heavy Chain" swung free and struck him in the chest and abdomen. Sketchy details, are in the process of tearing down the old plant. If ever see something Labeled as Laclede Steel, that was this facility many years ago. My own Great Uncle Jack: Grandfather's on Dad's side brother John Muller died in this plant as was dragged into a roller mill in the 1950s.
Laclede is known for tire chains.
Laclede is now long gone, bought up or sold off.
The CR-V is squatting pretty bad with 8 bags. But they stayed drier than going in the truck.
Years ago we 'won' an auction bid for a pallet full of Rudd Unimog 'pattern' tire chains. We took my wife's 1987 Buick Le Sabre down to Salem Oregon to pick them up. Had to put some in the trunk and then distribute the rest in the front foot wells etc. It was quite a load for a front wheel drive car with a 'pillowy' ride to start with! Young and foolish indeed!
Damn near same story, was doing some foundation stuff at home, on my way home from work stopped at local Builders Square that was going out of business and found a smoking deal on 80 lb. bags of concrete mix for about $1 apiece. Hell yeah I'll take the rest of the pallet. 3/4 ton chevy with semi-newly installed transmission and torque converter. spread the bags uniformly all over floor of bed to distribute the weight. BRILLIANT. 30 mile drive, what could go wrong? About 5 mi. from home pulling decent hill heard a"POP"and lost all forward momentum while the engine sped way up. Long story short inside spline that slips on output shaft of trans. grenaded, shop wouldn't cover it. cost me several hundred dollars for new parts and system flush, so much for smokin' deal on the crete.
Nah, if those splines stripped that easy they were worn out and about to go anyway. You did fine on the deal.
Was a 3 month rebuilt trans and new converter from a top notch trans shop, splines didn't strip, that hunk blew apart.
Well...it's not overloaded anymore.....
She broke me up with "The Big Round Thing"!!!!!
Did the driver flee the scene? I haven’t seen the truck.
"Scene" ??? What scene mon, he just kept driving....
Chains don't all break at the same time, one goes, and the rest shove the load sideways....
They'd fit in there better if mixed with the water from the start.....Just Sayin'....
At 60 mph the front two load restraints exploded simultaneously, or ripped from point of hook up.
Like this?
Like this- saves on mixing plus no delivery & fuel surcharge fee
wonder how that is on hills
Down great. Up, not so great
Better with a guy in the hoe
Ai is now just getting silly.
I totally agree but---there are those on this planet, that would go that route.
Hell of a set of tires on the trailer!
That must be the new 2/3 scale 315 that Cat exports.
"313 GC".
I just saw that on You Tube. Too damn hot outside so might as well watch exploding tanker truck videos..
Poop wagon
News said it was a chemical like spray foam or similar. Reacted with water and expanded.
I guess grand slam,Denny's not the frist or last accident in there parking lot.
I think it was either part "A" or part "B" of the 2 part spray foam insulation. IIRC one is very reactive with water.
Now I want to know the backstory of why the environmental company that owns the truck had the one component in the tank? Did the factory have an "issue" and they vacuumed it out or something else? So many questions. Knowing that it was spray foam makes it even worse than poop. That **** gets on everything the moment you hit the knozzle on the spray can.
Pressure pop off was stuck or missing
Talk about good tires.
Case 450C - $15,000. Old Dodge clunker - $1500. 475K views on Youtube - Is he breaking even yet?
I saw on youtube the other day something I watch "Joe & Nick's road trip" that they are making close to half a million a year. https://www.youtube.com/@JoeandNicsRoadTrip They travel the US and comment, not always interesting but usually is. I don't remember how many views they're getting but they make serious bucks for driving around. Joe H
LOL - yeah I see why they get so many views..
Yikes - that appears to be real and not Ai.
Too bad can't read the plate to see which state that hails from.
There’s still some space up on the neck!!
If the reaction takes off, the pressure relief can't handle the surge.
Well Grok said it was real...
Im sure there are some that just do this for the pic. Im thinkin this is one of ‘em.
Enough room for Igloo full of frosty adult beverages, gonna need "em for that ride.
Not AI--but a Freightliner supporting a Kenworth & International. Queen of Alberni ran aground early 80's. {Run aground of the day}. *
That one is real. I remember when it happened.d.d.
I looked this earlier that didn't have time to reply the truck's not even squatting just saying
It looks like they're cuddling lol
My theory on that is the PRV was overwhelmed with the goop and ceased to flow enough volume. Being a tank guy, I always keep an extra one handy. These are rated for VAC flow of 48,390 SCFH at 60 psi.
I had to change mine on my vac trailer, it was super caked, cleaned but it was still stuck. I put the old one in a bucket of tranny fluid to free it up so I have a spare
The poppet is about 2” dia and only opens about 3/4”. Bailey Lynn Tundra got a bath today and a good brushing. Tail and ears at max fluff.
Yeah that's what I keep looking at. Wondering if they have the drivers side of the trailer blocked up.
If you believe what grok tells you without reservation, I have a bridge in Arizona that might interest you.
LOL - umm no.
Call me cynical but I don't believe most of what I see or hear in real life without reservation...
This bridge is it bank owned or family fight? I'm looking for a more challenging dare for my Ford tempo when the sign says bridge out.
Only an overload if I went on the highway but I was in the woods the whole time. Saved about 3 hours.
Tare weight with fuel tanks 3/4 full 27,300, 10% allowed overweight from field on 80,000 is 8,000--88,000 GVW = 60,700 net on this Freightliner. 455 hp N14, 13spd, 3.90 ratio. *
I don't see that as an overload. The D6N with ripper is what around 50K on the high side and the roller is 30K max? That rig can easily handle 80K lbs. That would be legal here in AL on state and secondary roads. We regularly put our D3 and 533 roller on the same lowboy. Those two aren't has heavy though.
That's a pretty small one, the ones I'm used to have a full 2" flow and you can screw a hose on one. I ran a vac truck that the one was missing, got to 35+ psi on accident trying to kill a gas well once. was fine but would have liked a pop off that day.
D6N with ripper--roughly 40,000, without ripper just under 37,000.
I'm legal for 96k, the 6 is about 40, the roller about 25 and my light weight is 43, so about 108k.
saving 3 hours FTW. It is not like you are going to haul ass on those roads anyway.
Holy smokes Batman. There is no way that is real.
5x10 trailer $1,300 Listed 6 weeks ago in Shawnee, KS Details Condition Used - Good No title. It’s been passed around in the family in Kansas for years and lost Cross posted Message me if interested In Shawnee, Ks Modified 5x10 enclosed utility trailer with a white exterior and silver plate trim. This single-axle trailer has a rear swing door and a 4-pin plug. It requires a 2-inch ball for towing. The roof has panels cut out between the structural bars to allow for top-loading materials like mulch, dirt, and rock. The interior has a wood floor and metal walls with some surface rust.
Hyw 124 three miles west of Waitsburg Wa, tanker driver killed involved in one commercial vehicle rollover. Hit a power pole alone side road, burst into flames at 9:50 last night. I know that road well, especially the road intersecting just beyond the flames/wreckage. He rolled it going too fast coming out of a long left hand curve heading east. I drive Lower Waitsburg Rd which is the intersection about where the fire truck is on left center, making a left turn there and third mile later a right onto Bowles Rd, which became the detour route. All trucks just haul a-- down 124 and don't let up in this corner. For those traveling this route---maybe the burn mark will be a short wake up call. A semi isn't a a sports car---there young fellers. *
I pass through this intersection at 6 am 6pm everyday on my way to haul grain for a month. You can see it's a long slightly supered left turn, my estimate of speed--78 plus. Can smell the diesel soaked ground.
Was it by chance, a Coleman Oil rig?
Don't know, haven't seen any info on company. The thing about this--it's a long curve, good stretch of road, very low traffic at that time of day. Zero reason for a otr or local running that fast at any time of day. Visibility there is really good, too bad it happened. But people don't keep respect in mind for what they are driving and it cost him his life.
One end dump hope the tailgate fails.
That was a mistake, that will never be rectified!
Yesterday, dust storm I-84 Mountain Home Idaho, one of our new with 1,500 miles on it totaled from rear ending a stopped truck in extremely low visibility. Broke nine ribs, so I'm told. New Star like one below. *
Ouch
Normal, every time a new batch is acquired one will suffer right off the bat. Order a replacement on Monday, high mileage trucks/trailers most often scrape by unscathed.
It’s always the new ones.
Of coarse, a new one dies to un-hex the rest, way it is out west. Just a pile of metal, plastics, nut's/bolts, replaceable.
Had 2225 miles on it when I got in it to drive it to the shop once it got fixed. Still dont know how those 2 guy didnt get hurt
Too bad for the barn.
It jumped right out in front of them. As you can see it was poor travel conditions......
That is an old photo from 1996. The article is about what the state where that islamic terrorist murdered 15 people is doing about islamic terrorism. You know... Crack down on all people that own firearms. The headline is misleading. It is not an offer, you have to take what they give you which is for example, $1000 max for a centrefire rifle regardless of whether it is worth $2000. It is stealing by any other name. Luckily most of the states told the federal government to stick it up their arse. Unfortunately two are going ahead with it and one other state did their thieving some years ago which served as a blueprint for this time around.
We have gun buyback here in the States all a joke a lot'em are grandpa's old guns & expensive old guns for $50 Amazon card by kids.
Sounds like its overloaded at least.. 4.3M views · 38K reactions | Doble doble #fbreels #entertainment #justforfun #rolandboyofficial | Roland Boy Official Doble doble #fbreels #entertainment #justforfun #rolandboyofficial www.facebook.com
Overload and dumb ass of the day - They couldn't figure out how to take the hammer off. Maybe it's OK?
Good ol' rental & somebody had a key.
It's been proven over and over again that rentals will do so much more than a machine owned by the company. Plus, they don't need grease!
This is the reason why every new machine we buy has a security code. They will jump in your machine like it's a rental and abuse the hell out of it.
Rental or not break that bit and somebody's going to get a bill + whatever they screwed up
Yep. One of my favorite sayings on the job-site - "Not my problem". GC's rental and GC's concrete man. Same concrete man that ran through the ponds we finished and grassed -
Need to go to the rental yard job fair give out some shirts to the ladies.
It's not all overloads & bridge strikes. * 19K views · 5.3K reactions | Tires detached from a moving semi truck and struck a minivan on Interstate 5 in Vancouver Thursday morning, according to the Washington State Patrol. The driver of the minivan, Jennifer Campbell, said she was headed to Tires detached from a moving semi truck and struck a minivan on Interstate 5 in Vancouver Thursday morning, according to the Washington State Patrol. The driver of the minivan, Jennifer Campbell,... www.facebook.com
Hahaha. That's what I was gonna say, still have room for an extra attachment or two.
MaineDOT shares video showing Old Town bridge collapse The Maine Department of Transportation has released video that shows the moment when part of a new bridge that is being built in Old Town collapsed into the Stillwater River. www.wmtw.com
475K views · 11K reactions | Pin and plate replacement on hopper. #repair #trailer #truck #jdwelding | JD Welding & Repair Pin and plate replacement on hopper. #repair #trailer #truck #jdwelding www.facebook.com
Out of curiosity, how long do you think that plate has been that way? It appeared it has been that way for years. I would think DOT would have caught it.
Only if at the right place at the right time, {scale open} sign on. It's a midwest trailer and who knows how much fertilizer it's hauled. There's probably three headed/coming to a town near you right now, amount of defective equipment on the road is enormous.
I got them all in.
A equipment share rental delivery driver, got lucky with only a broken leg. He got rear ended by another semi.
Broke the king pin sure looks questionable under there
Question is--what led up to it getting rear ended on a stretch of road like that?
You need a trailer.
From what I read, slow/stopped traffic ahead, equipment share guy was able to get slowed down for it, the 18 wheeler behind him wasn't playing as close of attention.
if I made alabama dirt mover money, I could afford to pull one around.
What kind of tires are that? Used one for a crane?
Alabama crane money is EVEN better - or so I've heard..
Yeah I suspected. Same as this that happened to one of our trucks 6 years ago. Ours was stopped for a accident on I90 Moses Lake when another slammed into it and landed almost in the lake. He was having a cell phone chat--had our truck not been there he would have most likely slammed into cars, emt's, cops at scene. The calls can wait. *
It's a set of 315/80 r22.5 tires. 8 of them for drive tires on a crane. We go to a lot of job sites with rebar and shot rock, old concrete etc. Used steer take offs are 1/4 the price of new tires, and it doesn't hurt the wallet as bad when a used one gets cut. My used tire guy is $150-$200 per tire, new tires are $500-$750 each depending on how good of a tire I want to buy. We don't travel a lot of miles a day, and don't go real far from home. So this works for us.
This BBQ trailer was overloaded with too big an axle. Belongs to this outfit. I just happened to be riding shotgun with the wife when I spotted it going into the Heidelburg facility (formerly Corliss) in Sumner. https://www.tecequipment.com/location/tacoma/ I was not sure what it was till I saw that gaggle of folding chairs.
Yeah--same as the one here with wineries, was buying up what ever could driving up land prices. Not liked by many.
I'm old, my mind went immediately to Heidelberg Brewery and I wondered why they ever had a brewery in Sumner that I never knew about. Heidelberg Materials never entered my mind until I finished reading and saw the mention of Corliss. Speaking of Heidelberg, does anybody remember the "Heidelberg Trail" from Grisdale to Amanda Park? It was marked by empty Heidelberg cans, thousands of them, back when everyone had a church key and nobody knew what littering was. Head out to Amanda Park, buy a case of Heidelberg and empty it headed back to Grisdale.
yeah I should have specified gravel. my bad.
Sounds like highway 99 from Sacramento to Bakersfield, {Regal Select six tall's for 99 cents. 99 was littered with 99 cent Regal Select.
Mini-ex hauler. *
With that setup it must be a mini-mini
And the operator wears a tux?
I've heard of a trucker with a butler must be his brother.
Hopefully he's wearing something, a little more than a speedo.
I ll do one better
Must be a pretty stout frame for a RV. Joe H
Not to sure about the roll bar and don't seem to see any chains Brave soul
And the beauty is it is a motor home, no CDL needed.
And I've seen how law enforcement people give elderly motor home drivers a lot of disgression on highway laws.
Great idea, room for welder, torch, tool boxes, heck mount a crane on it too. Leave the holding tank between rails and cut a hole through floor and it's a job site out house too. Nope, once modified it's no longer classified as a RSH when used for hauling. Would get nailed on no tonnage.
There should be a short course for those that want to drive a “RSH” on the differences between a pickup and a 30+ foot motoRsh. And long steep grades……
I tow a camper, but move along at speed limit. I'm very intolerant of elderly motor home drivers, spent their life driving nothing bigger than a Prius. Now they have a 40' motor home, & tow a Jeep. They putter along on two lane roads 20 miles under speed limit with their left turn signal on. A row of 20 cars pile up behind them and they don't notice.
For those of you that know rt 22 in Pa theres a camper eastbound on pennveiw in the ditch in 1000000 pieces and some good tire marks on the road this morning
Just the driver. The operator shows up in a separate limo.
As he should!
I disagree. I drove trucks over weight limit 26000 since 15 YOA. At 60 I really wanted a CDL. Vermont DMV used every red tape dirty trick they could to obstruct the process. "Where's your medical card?" "I don't have one. I was told I don't need one." "Who told you that?" "YOU!!!" "the law is changing in July, we're enforcing it early." Despite the burden of recruiting a pristine truck & trailer, and the mandatory licensed CDL driver to accompany me, they turned me away. Next trip: I was failed on the pre trip inspection: "You didn't inspect the trailer headboard." "It doesn't have a headboard." "You need to mention that." "You failed to inspect the trailer running gear." "It doesn't have a running gear." "You need to mention that." Next try: "We have absolutely no record of you having an appointment." Last try, my recruited truck owner/CDL licensed driver backed out. My son & I went in to panic mode, spent $2000. on parts, replaced everything that could be questioned on my truck & trailer. Spent days perfecting every real or imaginary flaw. I recruited a retired CDL licensed driver. I spent two hours on a rainy day crawling around under my truck inspecting every bolt as his Masonite clipboard melted. He finally called off the pre trip inspection. I was then allowed to take the road test. I came home with a CDL llicense. The test person made me jump through hoops. I had 45 years experience driving trucks, mostly in a time Vermont didn't have CDL licenses. I think I don't accept that motor home owners need no test, medical card, or training. A year later my 18 year old son tested, passed with flying colors. A few years later, my 35 year old son tested. The rules are a truck with GVWR over 26000, and a trailer over 10,000 to test. We showed up with a truck with 28000 GVWR, and a trailer with 10,000 rating. He was rejected because his trailer was rated 10,000 LBS, The rule was "Over 10,000 LBS". We rescheduled, two week wait, returned with a trailer identical in size, heavier rating, he passed. That is when he was informed his license would be restricted to "AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ONLY". Had to make another appointment to retest with a standard trnsmission truck.
I feel that if statistics could be kept Audi drivers would prove statistically more agressive, BMW drivers more rude, Mercedes drivers more entitled, Subaru drivers more often stupid, and large truck drivers more careful. I beleve motor home drivers are in their own class of unaware of what is happening around them. More than once I've seen a frayed dog rope dragging behind a motor home, I imagine the question: "Where's Poopsie?"
Penndot is out there counting all the pieces....
Must have been done till i got there wasnt a soul around
This time of year especially it seems to be the license plate color that determines the driver's attitude more than the vehicle emblem.
Ha! Living on the I-65 corridor to the Gulf of America I can attest to this 100%. The "beach season" is hell here in Central AL.