Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oversize load lighting

samkuntz1 · 2025-12-18 11:48

Would someone be willing to give an opinion on lighting you've owned? Either good or bad experiences with certain brands, etc. We need to buy lighting for our truck when hauling the lowboy with oversize loads. Mainly excavator and/or grinder, etc. Key pieces/points that I am aware of: - Truck lighting bar - Trailer lights/strobes, etc. - including working while disconnected from the truck? - Portable lights to attach to the actual load from 30 minutes prior to sunset and after sunrise Thanks in advance, for any help.

Replies6
  1. #1ianjoub2025-12-18 12:11

    Simple, effective, and cheap for when I tow my boat. It has suction cups for my aluminum body ford as well as magnets. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL3MMJGD?ref=fed_asin_title&th=1

  2. #2Indolift2025-12-29 02:12

    Whelen LED strobes and markers have been very reliable for me. I wired them to a small trailer battery so they’ll work even when the truck’s disconnected.

  3. #3cuttin edge2025-12-29 09:37

    Don't some lowboy floats have a battery for lights when disconnecting from the tractor. I know there have been times early morning or evening dropping off or picking up machines on the side of the road when it would be nice to have lights on the back of the float. I leave the strobes and work lights on on the tractor, tail lights are blocked by the gooseneck . All it takes is a careless driver to come up behind you

  4. #4bam19682025-12-29 11:43

    I have a magnetic battery powered strobe that I put on the back of the trailer when conditions are less than ideal. A neighbor uses a battery that is used on smaller trailers for the emergency break away systems for his strobes while detached. I'm not sure how he has it wired to keep it charged but it seems to work pretty good.

  5. #5AMBMike2025-12-29 17:18

    We installed a battery backup and charger designed for electric trailer emergency brakes and wired the charger into the trailer running light circuit. The trailer strobes run off the battery when unhooked. Works great and the small battery will run LED strobes for days even if the battery doesn't get charged.

  6. #6JaredV2025-12-29 22:34

    I got a set of these magnetic lights lately but amber. I've used them a couple times. Plenty bright but no idea how long they'll last. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=foxfire+lights