Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

owner operators, how do you do your random drug testing?

stumpjumper83 ยท 2012-10-31 06:55

So I've had a dot number for like 3 years, been dot'ed several times with no problems. Apparently I was registered as a vehicle registerant only... so now when i updated my mc-150 they have me as a new enterant... and they want rendom drug testing. I'm a sole proprietor, the only driver, and don't use drugs at all. What do I need to do / tell them?

Replies6
  1. #1390eric2012-10-31 09:53

    Not owner operator, but pretty sure when you are picked you gotta go, not too many ways around it. I have never been called, but I know the owner of my company has since he is technically one of the drivers, he goes. Might be a way around it someone else will probably have a more confident answer for you.

  2. #2firedozer2012-10-31 10:15

    What you can do is join a random drug testing pool. Check with the trucking associations in your area. Most will have a program you can join for a fee.

  3. #3stumpjumper832012-10-31 11:47

    i figgured that every month I'd buy a $1.oo scratcher, and if I won enough to pay for the test, I'd do it....

  4. #4Reel hip2012-10-31 16:17

    This is what I have done. I signed up with a chain medical facility (US Health works) and told them I wanted to be in a randomn drug test for work. I had to take one that day but have never been called back since. PS I don't have a DOT permit but a CA permit that is similar, although I have heard nightmare paperwork is required to keep the DOT. I'm glad I don't need it!

  5. #5RollOver Pete2012-10-31 19:25

    How does it feel to be guilty until proven innocent? That's exactly what the DOT is implying by forcing us to do a "random" test. I have been unwillingly proving my innocence since they started making commercial drivers take the stupid things. I'm tired of being discriminated against and stereotyped. If they wanna know if I do drugs, all they gotta do is ask. For now, I just leave them some dirty underwear. That way, they can have all 3 of my specimens :throwup

  6. #6busdrivernine2012-11-08 22:16

    Look up OIDA http://www.ooida.com/Benefits&Services/Services/index.shtml under drug testing think it cost us a membership and like $100 ayr but that includes 4 free drug screens I think .