Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Owners what do you give the guys the use there trucks?

Dozerboy ยท 2010-01-30 18:27

My truck is my baby and I have been using it to haul some stuff for work and run errands. I don't mind to much but want to be fairly compensated for the wear and tear. I won't pull a trailer or do anything that would damage my truck for the company. This week I hauled 2500lbs of masons mix and ran a few errands. So far I haven't wanted anything but after this week I will at least turn in fuel experiences.

Replies22
  1. #1Airedale2010-01-30 18:46

    Dozerboy, the last I can remember my company was at $1.35 per mile for company use of personel vehicle. I can't remember for sure if that included fuel, I think it may have. There may also be IRS rules that apply. I know that I have to pay $90.00 per month to the company for personel use of their vehicle even if I don't drive any personel miles, IRS rules. Airedale

  2. #2Squizzy246B2010-01-30 18:55

    I always make sure i pay my employees for use of their own vehicles. Sometimes during a job we will need an extra bag of cement or something from the hardware and one of the guys will jump in their vehicle and go get it. I always give them some cash for their fuel. I don't expect employees to haul stuff with their vehicles and I wont even ask as I don't want the liability. If they are a contractor to me thats different. Heres a scenario for you: I had a lady needed some backyard work and there was no access for machines. I didn't really want the job but the boys were keen to do a cashie. On friday we finished our job early and the boys wanted to do the cashie on the Saturday. I agreed the guys could use my mixer but that was it. I also pointed out there was enough masons sand left on our job and they could take the sand. So one of the guys got his trailer and they loaded my mixer and some sand into the trailer ready for saturday morning. On his way home a tyre blew and rolled the trailer. My mixer was a wreck, the trailer was a write off and his car was damaged. It cost me $400 to fix the mixer and I did most of it myself. I'm not sure where I would have stood with an insurance claim..or for that matter where my guy would have stood....if he had insurance for business purposes. The whole thing left us all; with a bad taste.... So don't let your employer abuse your good nature and make sure you know where you stand. Running down the hardware to grab some supplies might put you in a sticky situation when something goes wrong...or worse, someone gets injured.:beatsme

  3. #3Panhandler Bob2010-01-30 19:03

    Used to get 2hrs. inch&ahalf (time&ahalf) a day for mine. Only one strawboss drove it, no muddy people in cab, few hand tools in bed, 2-3 laborers in bed, 2" pump once in awhile. Tommy(strawboss) was my buddy, he would treat it with kid gloves. Tank of gas & a roll of quarters(carwash) at the end of week.To bad it only lasted for 2 weeks till his new co. truck showed up.:drinkup Bob aka ZZ

  4. #4Lee-online2010-01-30 23:27

    i know my personal vehicle insurance doesn't not cover me or my vehicle if it is used for business.

  5. #5classictruckman2010-01-30 23:51

    we have it written in our insurance policy that if one of our employees gets into an accident while on company time for company reasons they're covered by our companies policy.

  6. #6Dozerboy2010-01-31 00:12

    That is a concern of mine. I know I could explain some crap in the bed, but not a trailer. I'm going to give this some time and see how it works out. I haven't been here all that long and my roll in the company is undermined. I started as Operator then+lowboy driver+light mechanic+errand boy on the verge of foremen. I may tell him I need a company truck shortly if this continues. He is looking for a supernatant that would take the load off me, but he is hard to work for. This is all new to me and I'm unsure where to draw the line as of now.

  7. #7joispoi2010-01-31 01:57

    2,500 lbs of anything in the bed is over the line. A few shovels, lunch boxes etc. and you're being generous. If you showed up to work on a moped, you still get paid the same.

  8. #8cummins052010-01-31 02:29

    150 bucks a day with fuel tank. 200 a day setup as mobile office plus fuel one good thing bout the patch

  9. #9Komatsu 1502010-01-31 10:13

    Something happened in our town along the same line with a trailer that put a newish light equipment dealer out of business permanently. The dealer loaned an equipment trailer to a friend over the weekend. There was an accident with a car, I believe trailer became disconnected. Dealer's insurance refused the claim as trailer was being pulled by a non-company vehicle for personal use. Normally in this state the friends car insurance would have covered the trailer but they refused because it was a commercial vehicle. As soon as the other driver's lawyer found all this out, he got a judge to freeze the dealers assets until the case was settled or tried. Dealer was out of business in short order. I don't know how the case was settled but it doesn't matter, right or wrong, his business was gone.

  10. #10dayexco2010-01-31 10:38

    we don't allow our employees to drive their own stuff if it deals directly, or indirectly with work, nor allow them to borrow any equipment for wknd, after hour stuff for liability purposes. we have an older ford crewcab pickup we keep on job to do the chasing, running with, and if they're going to moonlight, they can go to the rental yard for their tools, equipment. that way the employee doesn't have it hanging over their head should the trailer come unhooked, the hydraulic pump take a crap, something gets vandalized or stolen while in their possession. that way nobody's mad, getting short changed, or getting their stuff busted up hauling the bosses junk.

  11. #11Panhandler Bob2010-01-31 21:59

    This was 15-16 yrs. back, before the Ins.police/liability laawyeers got into everbodys business.:drinkup Bob aka Zz

  12. #12Dozerboy2010-02-05 16:29

    Anyone else get a mileage reimbursement?

  13. #13heavylift2010-02-05 17:40

    I've gotten mileage to drive to a job.... I had originally asked tightwad for his gas card to fill my vehicle..... NO.... ok fine....all I wanted was a tank of gas... Drive the 90 miles to the job... I tell that boss what happened ... He said how many miles was it up here... He walked over to his truck... signed a form then handed it to me... it had 180 miles per day on it.... I ended up with a $900 check... for two weeks of driving plus my wages .....tightwad was peo'd...... I told him that all I wanted in the first place was a tank of gas.... I pulled a trencher for a company for month.... until they got the fuel bill ... they had given me a fuel card.... My truck had two tanks.... one theirs one mine... 460's aren't easy on fuel.... they failed to realize half that fuel bill was going in the trencher also.... Oh well after that I would do maybe 2 jobs a day instead of 5 or 6...waiting on boss to deliver trencher....

  14. #14lets move dirt2010-02-05 19:14

    200 a month and fuel if used regularly, if someone goes pickup parts or other small deals once in a while buy them a tank full fuel way i do it

  15. #1595zIV2010-02-05 20:00

    My company pays $.505 per mile, but the only thing we haul is me or a co worker, and depending on my destination, sometimes it's cheaper to charge mileage then flights or rental cars.

  16. #16dayexco2010-02-05 21:34

    sounds like your boss is a jerk, hell.....all of us that give friday nite checks and w-2's are jerks...why don't you just quit and go somewhere where you are fully appreciated?

  17. #17heavylift2010-02-06 00:45

    I would have been tickled pink with 30 bucks worth of gas for the 2 weeks... but the other boss saw it different....hence the mileage pay Tightwad also wanted me to go to Mitchell for a water line job... $15.00 a day sub.. lol..a room at that tourist trap was 70 bucks a night... their dime.... I hauled all the equipment up there... for 2 weeks.... then he said it would be my dime to stay after that.....there was no after that... I even had a couple of supers call me to work in Denver... the next week..... I declined.... Because I had found another job...They would have paid for the motel.....but I said no thanks A good company... for the most part

  18. #18tonka2010-02-06 09:47

    I used to haul fuel to the site for my backhoe. So i got fuel, oil changes, brakes, and wear and tear items, done at our shop. I also got 1/2 my truck payment made by the Co.

  19. #19Komatsu 1502010-02-07 10:20

    I had to laugh. I know exactly how you were feeling when you wrote that.

  20. #20Buckethead2010-02-07 13:24

    I don't think he was calling you a jerk, or commenting about employers in general, I think he was talking about one specific individual.

  21. #21Dozerboy2010-02-11 09:34

    I don't think that is helpful to my thread, but I can certainly understand your perspective. Thats a nice deal.

  22. #22tonka2010-02-11 09:59

    Yeah that was way back in 94-98 though, back when oil patch was going good.