Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

P&H 312 Exavator

speedchaser · 2012-03-28 08:47

Hello this is a P&H 312 Excavator that I rebuilt a few years back wish it was still shiny looking need to in stall the 5.9 Cummings some day soon thanks for looking Speedchaser

Replies44
  1. #1D&GExcavating2012-03-28 11:58

    Looks good!

  2. #2jeff 312012-03-28 17:13

    Nice job. Some of the dummies I work with wouldn't know what to do with the cab on the opposite side like the machines of today.

  3. #3FirstEliminator2012-04-02 01:54

    Wow, awesome looking machine! I have a P&H H312. Owned it for a few years and it has paid for itself probably 5 times over. I used to drive it up the road to my house from the shop. One time a track link broke while at my house. Haven't driven it on the road since. Rigged the link back together. A month ago another link broke. I crutched the excavator into the shop. Now, my plan is to fix the tracks. It's going to be a lot of work. But, it needs it. While it's in the shop I am going to put some lights on the boom and under the house. Lots of odds and ends need fixng on this. The generator doesn't charge, the rotate brake doesn't work. Various pins are worn, cab heat doesnt work. I stumbled onto this site while searching for track parts. Any good sources for rollers and links? Here is my 1973 P&H H312 doing some clean up. The truck is a Brockway 361. http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g39/FirstEliminator/?action=view&current=MVI_3842.mp4 thanks, Mark

  4. #4FirstEliminator2012-04-08 22:40

    Gosh, it seems whenever I mention my P&H the thread becomes a ghost town. Awwww, is my P&H too ugly? thanks, Mark

  5. #5FirstEliminator2012-04-15 13:27

    P&H = tumbleweeds blowing by and the sound of squeeky hindges on an old wooden fence gate moved by the wind.

  6. #6Deere500a2012-04-15 14:22

    ^Nice video,love the sound of that Jimmy.Both excavators look great.I enjoy reading stories of the past or present on the old girls

  7. #7pafarmer2012-04-16 06:26

    Very Nice Excavator. I love those old P&H machines..........Great Job

  8. #8renaud2013-01-12 11:36

    Great job on giving this "old girl" its pride back!!! http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/user/olygremlin/media/PampH418Ste-Justine-3_zps70e54a18.jpg.html This is a 418 i found in a field one hour drive from where i live.By the look of it, is has'nt moved for several years. Not that long ago, i went back to this machine.I took as many pictures as i can of all the main components, along with some measurements of everything on it. Eventually, i am planning on building a scale model of it. Thanks for showing your 312. B-t-w, does anyone know if these old P&H had the attachment painted in black or yellow when new?? Max.

  9. #9FirstEliminator2013-10-23 23:24

    Looking at the parts manual from 1973, it appears the boom is black.

  10. #10renaud2013-10-24 21:35

    Right on!! Thanks a lot for the info. Max.

  11. #11Dirtdigger532015-09-02 10:17

    I recently acquired a P&H H-312. Worked good for a while. Now having trouble with left track movement. Not sure if it is the control valve, track motor or drive components inside left track housing. I am searching for a service manual or parts manual. Any suggestions on where to find one would be helpful and appreciated.

  12. #12FirstEliminator2015-09-02 11:16

    You can buy a operator or parts manual from Terex: 319-352-3920. The manuals also show up on e-bay sometimes. Mark Berkshire Transmissions North Adams, Massachusetts

  13. #13Dirtdigger532015-09-02 22:38

    P & H h-312 Salvage parts Would you happen to know where there are any Salvage machines? I need the small double drive sprocket that goes on the hydraulic drive motor. It drives the double chain that drives the track sprocket? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

  14. #14FirstEliminator2015-09-03 08:28

    A few years ago I knew of a few. But scrap prices were high at the time and people got rid of them. Sorry, I don't know of any parts machines.

  15. #15ecm20042020-04-15 16:06

    Hello Mark, New to this site and came across your thread from a while ago. I have a P&h H312 I believe also.. Was looking for manuals or anything to refer to maintenance on this? Have you had any luck finding parts? We are not to far from each other . do you still have the 312 ?

  16. #16RGProducts2022-03-27 08:31

    Hi, I’m new to the forum due to this conversation. I acquired what I believe to be an H-312 that was on a property I bought. I haven’t gotten into the machine yet, but whether it runs or not, I’m going to sell it. If it doesn’t run, I’d much rather sell it as a parts machine to someone that wanted it than to scrap it out. Take a look and share any thoughts. This model excavator is completely new to me. Thanks!

  17. #17FirstEliminator2022-03-29 15:19

    Cool P&H. They seem to be pretty rare anymore. Hopefully someone can make something out of it. Where are you located?

  18. #18RGProducts2022-03-29 18:15

    It would be great if someone could use it. As soon as I find out more about the condition, I’ll share. I’m in south western New York.

  19. #19RGProducts2022-09-26 22:14

    Well, the engine is seized, and I have no use for it. If anyone is looking for a parts machine, let me know. I hate to see it go to scrap!

  20. #20FirstEliminator2022-09-26 22:48

    Bummer.....It would probably repower pretty nice with a 4 cylinder Cummins.

  21. #21FirstEliminator2022-09-27 08:14

    Hi, geez I guess I didn't see the post from a couple years ago when you made it. Yes, I still have the P&H. Loaned it to a friend and it sat at his house for a year. Just got it back last week. Need it to reinstall the counter weight on another machine I just acquired. My forklift will only lift about 8000. This counter weight is 10,200. Will be a fun time and material for a new video. If you'd like to see some of the stuff I'm fiddling around with, take a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCJ9qpMIXkYURJam1FzWeA/videos

  22. #22Ryan Storke2022-10-20 17:50

    Do you still have the machine? I am in Upstate NY and would be very interested in acquiring the machine.

  23. #23RGProducts2022-10-21 06:58

    I do still have the machine. There is a guy who it digging into the motor right now to see if it is salvageable, and wants to buy it if it is. If it is not salvageable, it probably needs a motor swap. Otherwise, parts or scrap. What are you planning to do with it, out of curiosity?

  24. #24Ryan Storke2022-10-21 08:01

    I located my deceased fathers P&H recently and am in need of parts, as I have been informed that there are a few issues with it. As you may expect they are quite hard to find. The goal would be to use it has a donor to get my father's machine back up and running. Then keep it for future parts. Please do keep me informed how you progress with the current inquirer. Thanks, Ryan

  25. #25RGProducts2022-10-21 13:36

    Do you have a way that I can contact you privately (not on this forum thread)?

  26. #26Ryan Storke2022-10-21 16:41

    I sent you a private message.

  27. #27Onslaught2022-11-09 06:48

    Where are you located? And did he end up getting the machine? I'm currently looking for some parts to fix up my old 312 as well.

  28. #28Onslaught2022-11-09 06:51

    Hey guys, newbie to the site here, just acquired this p&h 312! I absolutely love this outdated machine. The controls are actually a lot of fun to use. I had to use this machine to load a non moving linkbelt ls1600 onto a trailer when I bought them as a package deal lol

  29. #29Rmhcurbing2023-05-21 14:22

    I’m new to the site and I’m interested in the machine.

  30. #30Rmhcurbing2023-05-21 14:25

    Is machine still available?

  31. #31Rmhcurbing2023-05-21 21:48

    I have a 312 that’s running, but need the “bull” gear which drives the pinion shaft in the swivel gear case, maybe someone has this gear or a complete case.

  32. #32Onslaught2023-06-14 10:37

    You could buy mine. It's for sale, runs and drives, and could always use yours for a parts machine. Send me a dm if interested.

  33. #33Fred Goatroper2023-12-13 22:45

    wish i was closer

  34. #34Onslaught2024-02-11 07:46

    Does anyone know what the oil filter part number is for the h312? Pic of my machine for fun.

  35. #35ecm20042024-02-12 08:08

    Did you ever sell that machine? I may be looking for some parts for mine.

  36. #36Onslaught2024-02-12 08:14

    Not really looking to part it out. It runs and digs perfectly.

  37. #37ecm20042024-02-12 11:56

    I understand !! great looking machine, glad to here it is running well for you. Does that have the 4-53 Detroit in it!! have you found a good place for parts on these?

  38. #38Fred Goatroper2024-02-20 19:29

    It is a 453 or a 471. not sure. I havn't had mine long enough to change the oil, so I'm not sure about the filter. My machine has a leak on the the main boom cylinder. Anyone know how to replace the seal?

  39. #39Fred Goatroper2024-02-20 21:15

    Wish U were closer. I need the hydraulic cylinder on the top of the boom. I'm in alberta.

  40. #40Onslaught2024-02-24 14:54

    453. And honestly ebay has some of the best parts availability for detroits. Also, there's a company in Michigan I believe that has every part for these. And thanks!

  41. #41Onslaught2024-02-24 14:55

    Mine do too. I'm unsure how the pins comes out but I'm having issues finding a seal kit for the machine main booms.

  42. #42Onslaught2024-02-24 14:57

    Does anyone know how to change the swing gear oil? How much goes in, and what weight? Only asking if I have to remove the caps over it and actually siphon the gear oil out of if there's a drain on them. Mine is loaded full of oil/ grease soaked leaves so I can't see sh*t even when I cleaned most of them out.

  43. #43Onslaught2024-02-24 16:16

    Do you know if there is a drain on the swing gear box? And what oil it takes abd how much? Or do I have to pull the cap and siphon it?

  44. #44Fred Goatroper2024-02-25 10:30

    Evedently the seals are generic. You would have to pull the piston and see what they are. (Thanks for the info Werlder Dave).