Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

P&H 750 Excavator questions

Rous ยท 2020-02-04 18:58

Wasn't sure if this belonged in old iron or here, plz move if necessary. I picked up a 1980 p&h 750 excavator, it's in pretty good shape it does have some bugs to work out.. if anyone has a digital manual for this youd be my hero. It seems the final drives have been fiddled with, I was told these machines had issues with the high/low range so I'm assuming that is the reason. Towards the front of the drive motors on each side is a small fitting for what looked to be 1/4" steel line, it's currently open to the air on either side. Both motors would slowly weep hydraulic fluid out of these. Not knowing the purpose of them and not wanting to hydrolock something and blow a seal, I capped each with a rubber sleeve and hose clamped them to stop the leak, that was yesterday. All seemed fine until today i noticed a pool of fluid, shut down machine and the left side had ejected the rubber cap and was hemmoraging fluid rather quickly. Any ideas, should I just return it to tank? Also, every time I shut the machine down about 30.seconds later the hydraulic tank purges a decent amount of air. 10-15 seconds of bubbling. What should I be looking for. Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-02-05 11:44

    Hopefully you didn't blow the seals or cause extensive damage by trying to plug them. It sounds like they are case drain ports that should go back to the reservoir. May or may not have filters.