Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

P&H Spin Issues

Fred Goatroper · 2026-03-15 10:07

Good morning, all, My old P&H 312 471 would my turn over. I thought it was starter failure, and replaced it with a Starter from an old forklift with a 471. Still won’t spin. No issues prior to this. Was running fine with no issues. I have questions. Is the spin on these machines the same for this type of equipment? I have access to the engine the starter came off of. Does anyone have any ideas on why the the current engine won’t spin? Batterie's are good. Any help would be great, before I start tearing things down.

Replies12
  1. #1Shimmy12026-03-15 10:28

    Have you tried to physically bar the engine over? Are you getting voltage to the solenoid to spin the starter motor?

  2. #2Fred Goatroper2026-03-15 15:28

    No I havn't tried to bar it over. That may be the next step. To cold outside today. Lots of voltage but will check at starter.

  3. #3Shimmy12026-03-15 16:07

    How long as it been sitting? Maybe condensation has it stuck until it warms up?

  4. #4Fred Goatroper2026-03-15 16:41

    I havn't used it for a couple of months. tried to fire it up to lift a welding skid. You could be right about condensation. I will have to check that out as well. we get pretty severe cold sometimes and then things warm up. -2 celsius today, was minus 20 this morning. (-4 fahrenhiet. )

  5. #5Simon C2026-03-15 18:11

    Could be locked up with antifreeze on top of a piston. Just need a 1-1/2 socket to turn over on top pulleys, but dont use a 6 foot bar or the nut will strip. If it is hydro locked will need to pull injector to suck out top of piston. I am assuming that the starter did kick out and could not turn it. Just beware that there were engines with right hand turning starters and left hand turning that look the same. Simon C

  6. #6hector gemme2026-03-15 19:02

    Your bloower could be the probleme

  7. #7Simon C2026-03-15 19:06

    It could be a blower locked up, but once you take the blower cover off it would be obvious as there would be a lot of aluminum filings around the entry way. Could be rusted piston rings, just depends how long it has been sitting and if exhaust was covered. Simon C

  8. #8Fred Goatroper2026-03-15 19:36
  9. #9Fred Goatroper2026-03-15 19:37

    I will check it out

  10. #10Fred Goatroper2026-03-15 19:38

    I will check it out

  11. #11Fred Goatroper2026-03-15 20:11

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be following up on all this stuff. I will post what I find. It may be a while before I get back to you all. Thanks again

  12. #12Fred Goatroper2026-04-28 21:05

    OK, finally got out to work on the old girl. Turns out that there was some water in the cylinders. Probably fom blowing snow through the exhaust. I removed the starter and turned the crang cog by cog. rolled it over 4 times. pushed water out , drained filters just in case, (no water there). Put the starter bback in, put the batterys back in, rolled it over a few times. it started blowing white smoke and then fired up. I let it run for 1/2 hour, runs good now.