Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

P T O questions.

John White ยท 2014-09-25 20:01

I am trying to hook up a Chelsa PTO off of a 1984 International on to a 2003 Kenworth T-300. I called a local truck place that sells pto's and installs them but they couldn't give me any information. I have a 1997 GMC that I purchased a new PTO and installed it (on right side) If I remember right it had a single gear that turned only when the pto was engaged. The one I am trying to install on the KW, will mount on the left side of the trans and I notice that the gear that mates to the gear in trans. turns all the time and when you engage the pto lever is has a idle gear that engages with the out put shaft. I think the purpose of this is to reverse the direction of the output shaft. Am I right? Also are all pto gears cut to the same angle ? In other words will the pto off the Int be the same angle as the trans in the KW. The trans in the KW is a Eaton Fuller 6 speed and I don't know what trans the Int. had.

Replies11
  1. #1Mike L2014-09-25 20:47

    not sure about your first question but I believe all pto gears are cut the same.

  2. #2overworked2014-09-25 21:39

    Can you get any numbers off the PTO, kW trans ect?

  3. #3John White2014-09-26 06:29

    I will get them today when I go into work and post them tonight. Any help or advice is appreciated as I am not getting much info. from a truck body place that works on them doesn't seem to know much.

  4. #4John White2014-09-26 13:44

    Chelsea 420XQBGX-W5XD Eaton trans # 5564-6-A

  5. #5Old Doug2014-09-26 20:16

    From what i have been through with finding ptos i would have to say that they are like snowflakes. I have had at one time 20 diffrent ones and they wouldnt fit what i had.I will try to shorten up this story. I put a chevy gas engine with a 5speed in my IH truck to build a winch truck. My trans didnt have a tag. I went to a truck parts place guy says he can get one no problem ok i went back one day and he had got sick and was off work for about a year and no one else thier could look one up. I called and drove to every new and used truck place within 200 miles i called Chelsa and talked to one of the most helpful parts persons there will ever be. By then i had found a trans like mine and had numbers she told me like 2 others that my trans haveing 2 places to bolt on a pto that one side there was 6 posabilites and the other there was more than 10 and may be their was a chance that i wouldnt find one that would work. She even tryed to find out what some of my ptos fit but they were more than 5 years old and they made alot of different kinds and some were almost one offs.I was about to give up and find a diffrent trans. I stoped in the place that told me he could get one and the guy was back to work. I told him my story and he looks at me like i am lieing and pulls out a 2 page book and ask if tomorrow would be ok. Next day their it was had a new cable and light with it for around 200.00. Some other place told me if they could find one it would have cost close to 4 times what i payed

  6. #6td25c2014-09-26 21:26

    Had similar experience as Old Doug . Might give Parker / Chelsea a shout or E mail . http://www.chelseaproduct.com/

  7. #7John White2014-09-26 21:39

    I checked on a new one today. They said $500. Sure wish I could find a used one. I had sort of determined that the one I am trying to mount off the Int. will not work. It leaves about 1/4" gap when you lay it against the trans. And of course I really cant determine the angle if the gears will line up or not.

  8. #8td25c2014-10-07 22:19

    John , you may get by with installing a 1/4" steel shim with gaskets on both sides . I take it the gear teeth are meshing and you have a gap between the PTO mounting flange & transmission housing ? You can get the shims from a PTO supplier . When I set up the FWD truck I ran in to same trouble . I ended up making a shim out of a piece of sheet steel . Used a PTO gasket for the pattern . Be careful about staking a lot of gaskets up to gain proper backlash as the PTO will most likely work loose . Hence the reason for the steel shim . Have to look close to see the steel shim but this is a picture of a Tulsa reversing PTO I mounted on the FWD .

  9. #9John White2014-10-08 06:47

    I finally just bit the bullet and bought a new one. I couldn't find a steel spacer any where. Had a junk yard truck friend that had 5 pto's I got all five and tried them and none seemed to bolt up right and the last thing I wanted to do was mount one and brake a tooth off in my transmission. I called Chelsea and a 1/4 spacer was around $60. You would think that some where, some way they could take the #'s off the trans and the pto and if it wouldn't work could provide you with the information as to what gear you need to replace in the PTO to make it work. What a waste of money to have a good PTO and not be able to use it.

  10. #10mitch5042014-10-08 09:12

    That's easy for a good hand at a Chelsea distributor, because when they sell a PTO they usually make it up at the distributor, but it is considered a closely guarded trade secret, because if that info was published, it would probably cut their sales in half. It took me years to build up a relationship where I can find out, IF I don't ask often. If I told where, it would probably get my friend fired.

  11. #11dieseldog5.92014-10-08 22:33

    I took a Pto out of a dodge with a 6 speed, and needed to put it in a 6 speed ford. With the numbers on the Pto, and the transmission number for the new transmission Brookline machine in Massachusetts sent me a new gear to put in the housing to match the pump rotation and transmission rotation with the side of transmission used.