Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

P-type brake shoes

Shimmy1 ยท 2025-09-14 22:33

Friend of mine drug home a 1977 Doonan trailer, completely against my objections. Without even seeing it, I told him it would need brakes, and I was certain it would be P-type with inboard drums. Well, as I suspected the brakes are indeed down to the rivets. This trailer might get 1000 miles per year, probably less. I've never dealt with P-brakes, I'm certain the pins are all seized. What is the best course of action? Torch the shoes off, then torch out the pins? Are the pins the same diameter as a Q-style anchor pin? Looks like p-type shoes are still available.

Replies2
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-09-15 01:43

    Why bother, torch eyelets off shoes, heat pins or torch out, buy standard Q shoes and complete hardware kits. Buy new shoes with kits, no cores.

  2. #2Shimmy12025-09-15 07:10

    That's what I was wondering, if you could change them over.