Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Paccar engine performance

966 ยท 2015-11-15 04:04

Hi guys I am a new guy here and I am wondering if any body has experience with the 485 and 500 hp Paccar engines? The guy I work for has 5 Kenworths two with the PACCAR 485 and 500 engines the other trucks have Cummins 444, n14 550 and ISX 600! Both the PACCAR Engines are real lazy for lifting power is there any thing that can be done about this? Our old 1987 with used up 444 engine Will walk all over both Paccar engines

Replies5
  1. #1Dualie2015-11-16 02:36

    IF you have any say in the matter tell them to stop buying the paccar motors nothing but problem piles of crap

  2. #2Landclearer2015-11-20 17:24

    If you have any say in don't let them buy the new Cummins. Unresponsive under powered junk. Our new 500 hp Paccar will out work the 550 Cummins we had. All of the new motors are so choked off that they will not touch an old school motor.

  3. #39662015-11-23 01:46

    When It comes to buying trucks I don't have any say in what the boss buys! For the logging truck's and the low bead he get the most power he can get! That is why he uses Cummins in them! He used to us all cat engines but they are not available any more! He bought the Paccar engines in both the gravel trucks because they were more fuel efficient than Cummins but they are both real dogs for lifting power! Other truckers We work with that have the Paccar engines are haveing the same results with there trucks I was just wondering if Paccar had up dates to address this problem!

  4. #4Landclearer2015-11-23 05:38

    Our Paccar has done good. The 09 Cummins was a complete dog. We were constantly having regen problems, and poor power. The Paccar does get much better fuel consumption also. I am not sure about any updates they can on them. Do the trucks all have the same rear end ratios and transmission?

  5. #5Oxbow2015-11-23 08:13

    The more I hear about post emission engines, the more I am looking forward to rebuilding my old 3406B. A few companies are specializing in building glider kits with pre emission engines. I don't suppose this will be legal for long, but may be a good option.