this is the first winch for me so looking for some info, I would like to be able to pull logs plus pull out the other dozer when it happens to get stuck, or other equipment if needed. this one has a log arch on it,and does have free spool. unit is rated for one inch cable,should I go with 7/8 so it is easier to pull out, what about a swaged 3/4 ??? 7/8 is rated for 78000lbs breaking strength,swaged 3/4 same, 1 inch is 103000lbs what would you go with? how long should the cable be? how would you set up the hook, loop end. button with a chain, loop, or a big ring on the loop, would like to be able to put on a few chokers and be able to pull of if needed for a stuck machine. what else can a winch be used for other then pulling logs and stuck equipment??
did you get the info you needed? I have a pa56 torn apart right now. I can help you out with most any question. Ken
Not familiar with the winch but here's a link to bunch of good info on wire rope & it's accessories. Lots of good information. Might help answer a few of your questions. http://vernoncorp.com/products/black-diamond-wire-rope/
We run 7/8s swaged rope on our D6 and it seems to work well. I would just splice an eye on the end of it, (or order a rope with a pressed eye on it, if you're buying one) then you can use it for what ever you like. Strops, pulling machines, please yourself. I'm probably biased towards the 7/8s ropes as they come off the yarder and have a second life as a winch rope. It's effectively free. As far as the length of the rope goes, you'd be surprised how much will fit on the drum but I tend to run ours fairly short as it's easier to keep it tidy. Maybe, 40 metres? If it gets messy, a long rope just takes that much longer to run off and pull back on tidy.
well I ended up going with a 150' of 3/4 swaged, my plan is to use the log arch for pulling logs then drop down of arch for pulling out machinery, the arch on this unit is probably not the best for any thing of angle pulling,most arches are beefed for sideways pull action, will have to test this one out.it does have a bigger main roller then most fairleads have. hoping to get it bolted on soon to try it out to see if I need new clutch/brake friction plates.if anybody needs parts call Dan Ekstrom at Thompson equipment,portland Oregon 503-287-9000 very good price plus service/shipping.