So any of you all have experience using compaction tools on the back of graders? I have an opportunity to do alot of maintence on dirt roads. The roads don't need to be perfect, just passable because the next day the trucks will make a mess of it again. Would a packer on the rear of a grader mean that I would not have to have a roller following me... What are your thoughts?
I have a rubber tired packer mounted on the ripper attachment of my 140M AWD. I also had one on the ripper of my 143H. The first one was a rigid design, solid axles running on pillow block bearings. It worked alright, but if you had a flat, figure on spending at least half of your day fixing it. I used it for gravel road maintenence, packing before trimming a shoulder job, and always when asphalt patching. Even in dry conditions, it encouraged traffic to move around, and not establish their wheeltracks quite so quickly, making your blade job last longer. In wet springtime conditions, it allowed me to get out on the roads earlier, using the packer to support some of the weight of the rear of the machine. You can clean up a shoulder without leaving ruts or pushing your road out of shape. The new packer has walking beams for each pair of tires, and is less likely to induce a bounce in your machine, should you hook and roll over a little rock. It seems to stabilize the machine, giving you the option of higher blading speed, if you want to try it. You need to lift when cornering, and you will notice some extra wear on the edges of your rear tires from the extra weight while turning. If you can find a demo packer to use for a week, it would help you make your decision. Good luck! smoothoperator
I have run one for the last year. I agree 100% with the previous post. Awesome tools if the the conditions are right.
There are two outfits that build packers that mount on graders in Western Canada but last I heard they were having a patent dispute and it was in the courts.
Motor grader packer Hey do you know the name of the 2 western Canadian companies?
Never used a packer, but often wished in that in addition to a grader, I had a water truck alongside with a sheepsfoot compactor, all followed by a vibratory flat drum roller or 35-ton rubber tire to seal it all off. Didn't happen, needless to say.:beatsme
I have seen them being installed at Minic Industries in West St Paul MB. As to whether they manufacture them I suggest a phone call is in order.