Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Paint for inside gaz tank

ronbourd · 2019-05-28 18:43

I just finished removing rust and dirt inside a gasoline reservoir. Can some one suggest me a good paint for inside the tank, a paint that could be found locally. This is for an old motorcycle! thank you for yours reply! Ronald.

Replies11
  1. #1d9gdon2019-05-28 18:48

    Red Kote works good, just follow the directions. Ive used it.

  2. #2ianjoub2019-05-28 18:50

    POR-15 Kreem

  3. #3kshansen2019-05-29 10:51

    I had very good luck with Caswell tank sealer on the old Farmall BN. https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html# Not sure if they ship out of USA but worth a check by email. I was lucky as they are only about an hours ride from me and got a discount for paying cash when I picked up at the shop. Even comes in a few different colors! Being a Farmall I "had" to use the red stuff!

  4. #4Former Wrench2019-05-29 14:22

    Years ago I used a 2-part product for a rusted motorcycle tank. It's been years so I am a little fuzzy on the details and product name. The first dose cleaned and etched the tank. Then the second batch went in that when dry, formed a seal that was a layer about 1/16 in thick. The stuff worked good. You might ask around at a bike parts shop.

  5. #5kshansen2019-05-29 19:19

    One thing that can not be said too load or too often: No matter what product you decide to use preparation of the tank is the number one most important thing to a successful repair.

  6. #6DIYDAVE2019-05-29 21:09
  7. #7kshansen2019-05-30 11:21

    DIYDAVE, Another option is to wait till wife is out of town and then wrap tank in a bunch of blankets and put in clothes dryer on "Air Fluff" for an hour!

  8. #8Tugger22019-05-31 09:41

    Ive sent tanks to the rad shop. They boil them clean in the hot tank . I believe the coating they used was called Glyptol.

  9. #9Bls repair2019-05-31 20:53

    Kshansen The options I see are cleaning tank or wife divorcing you Tugger2 This is the method I’ve always used.

  10. #10kshansen2019-06-01 10:34

    Some what OT here is when painting small parts backing in oven at around 200-250ºF works great and hardens the paint. Just don't do that in the kitchen unless wife is out on a 2 week vacation to give time to air it out! The solution is to buy a new stove for the kitchen and move the "old" one into the garage/shop. One other good point about having the "old" electric oven in the garage/shop is if you have a small portable gen set you can use the stove as a load bank to test the generator so you know it's good to go when power goes out! Turn one burner on at a time to adjust the load.

  11. #11ronbourd2019-06-05 07:49

    Thank you for all your reply, finally, I used "Gold Standard TANK SEALER". The job made a very good result, the gaz tank was built in 1967, a small Yamaha motorcycle! Ronald.