So...having just purchased a 23 year old backhoe that's been rather neglected i wanted to wash and touch up some of the bare metal and rust. Couple of questions.... 1) Is this a good idea. Would (spray) painting it make it look worse, decrease it's value etc. 2) If it is a good idea - what method of painting have people used that have yielded good results. Spray paint from a can (e.g. rustolueom). Spraying painting with traditional canister and compressor? 3) Where have people sourced paint for this vintage machine. Do case dealers sell this stuff and in what format? Are there others sources people have found that are good. 4) Finally - any tips/tricks to offer welcome! Just want to check out with this forum before i botch up my hoe. Thanks in advance
Hi, I am in the process of painting my 931b cat, I have a small grinder that i use with wire brush and it works perty good, also the paint eater (blue) type grinding wheel works good, I try to do one section at a time, Be sure to power wash a couple times before starting. The cat store has plenty yellow paint, also they have spray cans for the hard spots. Lota work.
The biggest thing is cleaning the machine very very good, if you can get a hot water pressure washer, that helps alot I have painted many of my machines (I have this painting thingee) The backhoe and skidsteer is probrably the hardest to paint and prep for paint (close quarters) I just bought an old excavator (Drott 40) we cleaned on it for 2 days and sanded on it for over another day. I then sprayed 2 gallons of primer and 3 1/2 gallons of yellow (2 part paint) I try to use a wire brush on a side grinder, for the bad places and then a DA sander for the rest, sandpaper, hand wire brushes, etc, whatever it takkes Tape/cover all cylinders before painting Now to the paint selection, this depends on what you want the machine to look like, how long you want it to look good and how much you want to pay for the paint. I have tried Cat,Case,JD, etc factory paint and I just cant get it to last and look good. I go to my local Napa/auto parts store and pick a color I like, that is close to factory. I now use 2 part commerical paint. It cost me about $70 a gallon, plus reducer and hardener. Most auto parts stores has commercial paint (equipment paint) I spend a little extra on the paint, because its a PITB to clean and prep a piece of equipment I have used Rustoleum gloss paint, works OK, but doesnt last (the shine) about $40 a gal, plus thinner Spray cans, HUMMMM, lots of spray cans and doesnt look very good If you have rust issues, you need to clean the rust off and get a good primer, you can get a pretty good primer in a spray can, for small areas
Highly advise a cheap hvlp gun and air compressor unless you just like holding down that little button. Unfortunately you wont be able to bake the finish like the factory can but you can do a good job with good prep work...
I would only use Case paint I brush painted my 580 SE and in looked great . The case paint is not the same as hardware store grade it will keep its shine for a long time .And beleive me you cant tell it was brushed on . Check out my replys you will see it
Thanks all - very, very helpful and gives me the impression that with some elbow grease and time i can getter done.