Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Painting equipment

Randy88 ยท 2013-07-24 08:12

Its been about a decade since I last painted anything, but I've done plenty of tractors, pickups and some equipment, I said it was a job I wanted to forget everything I ever knew so I'd not have to do it again. Well it seems I got almost all of what I wished for, I did forget everything I knew, but now I have to paint a piece of equipment I built. For the life of me I can't remember what type or brand of paint I used. Any suggestions on what brands, type of paint, acrylic enamel, or others I've forgotten. Its just a trailer used for tiling, nothing major and it'll sit outside all its life, it doesn't need to be perfect, just keep it from rusting and have some paint left on it in a few years, and not cost a fortune. I still have my old paint gun and it does still work but everything else was tossed out. Anyone have any suggestions as to whats out there today to use. I need to sandblast it first, then primer it and paint it, unless things have changed a lot since I did it last.

Replies10
  1. #1rustyshakelford2013-07-24 11:00

    I get some rustoleum. Maybe thin it down a bit and get to spraying after priming it. Brett

  2. #2mikebramel2013-07-24 21:59

    One of the best primers you can buy http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ Thick, very durable, and will stick to almost anything

  3. #3willie592013-07-24 22:08

    Is it bare metal or does it have a previous coating?

  4. #4mitch5042013-07-25 00:07

    I'm not sure we should listen to you, heck, even your Name is rusty. (I'm real sorry guys, but I just couldn't resist.)

  5. #5Randy882013-07-25 06:06

    Yes it was new metal when we started, but its been partial completed for over a year now sitting in the back of the shed, finally had some time on rainy days to finish it up and now its ready to sandblast, some surface rust from moisture we need to remove and do some touch up grinding to eliminate sharp edges and it'll be ready to prime. What do you guys use to get the oil film off of new metal, I've been taking my completed metal projects to be hot dipped galvanized for so long and they do it all, I now can't recall how I used to do it. If it weren't for the bearings, hubs and walking tandems, I'd take this project to be dipped too.

  6. #6td25c2013-07-27 08:52

    I wipe the metal all down with lacquer thinner to help get rid of the oil. I have had pretty good results with Dupont (nason) acrylic enamel. It drys fast & seems to hold its shine well. http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/b/nsn/s/color/CHIPS_FastDry.html

  7. #7Delmer2013-07-27 17:05

    Where do you get that done? and do you remember any prices? Sorry, no help on painting. I usually pressure wash, brush on zinc rich primer, and top that with whatever... You're probably looking for something a little better.

  8. #8Randy882013-07-27 21:37

    Delmer, they weigh the piece being dipped and the cost to dip it is between 20-30 cents a pound total weight. There are a couple places near me, one's in rockford illinois and another in winstead minnesota also owned by the same company, I think those are the right towns AZZ galvanizing is the name of it in minnesota and something simular to that in illinois. If you need phone numbers, let me know and I'll have to look them up for you, google the web for AZZ galvanizing and see what comes up. If you build things right and don't have bearings and different thickness of material it works great, but on this project it wouldn't work.

  9. #9Delmer2013-07-27 21:57

    Thank you very much! They came right up, very useful information. I had no idea hot dipping was so close and reasonably priced.

  10. #10ScottAR2013-07-28 20:41

    I would power wash with a degreaser and let it dry if your sand blasting do this first and then blast as blasting will impact the grease into the metal. Wipe down either with thinner as above or wax and grease remover such as dupont prep sol or PPG dx330. Then I would apply an etching primer. Nason, PPG, Dupont, Sherwin, all offer capable products. They all have a time regulated acid that bites into the metal and then neutralizes itself. Then I would paint. Acrylic enamel is good, single stage urethane will last longer but a bit more costly.