Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Painting rusty bits?

jav · 2019-08-27 09:56

So I'm going to paint my skid and I've found some areas with rust and scale that are proving difficult to access (around the vertical lift arms). What do you guys do in these areas? I'm thinking just remove as much as I can access, apply a rust conversion coat (like coro-shield or por-15), prime and paint. Any better ideas other than disassembly... which isn't an option.

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2019-08-27 13:08

    On the farm I buy Rust Converter, turns that corrosion to a dull dark black oxide then paint the hell out of it.

  2. #2jav2019-08-27 13:10

    Does it hold up? I'm usually anal about prep but I just cant get in there well.

  3. #3DMiller2019-08-27 13:13

    Works well for farm machines. Used it on a old Disc, only shiny metal spots now are where the dirt rolled off the paint, paint is holding up decently. Do not have to remove the excess chunks as does tend to glue than down where they lay so perfect for tight spots.

  4. #4Labparamour2019-08-27 16:16

    https://www.por15.com/ I just used POR15 on some rusted truck window regulator and track parts. Brushed it on after wire wheeling the metal. Seems to work well. I’ve used rust converter, too. Works okay and less than POR15.

  5. #5ianjoub2019-08-27 18:05

    Ospho, wire brush everything you can get to first.

  6. #6DIYDAVE2019-08-27 20:44

    Rustoleum fish oil primer works pretty good, too...