Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Parking Brake Light Always Turn on.

Henry46 ยท 2014-08-31 01:33

We need some helps. My brother bought a old BL- 370 Backhoe for a few months to do some works in his land, but recently it can not move forward or backward when engages the gear and parking brake light P always on. Other hydraulic eqipments still work ok. I think it maybe has a problem in electrical system but not sure where to find out. Any advive is greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Shimmy12014-08-31 09:12

    Sounds like your park brake switch could be faulty. Most newer machines have electronic controls on the transmission and have a interlock to prevent you from moving the machine while the brake is set. If the machine has a lever to engage park brake, the switch will be somewhere between lever and brake assembly. If it has a switch for the brake, it could get more complicated to diagnose. Best thing is to get a service manual for the machine. I could spend another ten minutes writing stuff but would be easier if you could do some investigating and find out which way it is.

  2. #2Henry462014-08-31 13:12

    Thanks Shimmy1. It looks like has electronic controls on parking brake for it does not have a lever to engage. It has only a red button (P) always light on when turning on ignition, the red light button does not turn off when I press it. I has checked some electrical wires but did not find out any problem.

  3. #3Shimmy12014-08-31 13:55

    I'm sorry to say it but it would have been light years easier if it would have had a cable and lever for the brake. Now your next step is figure out if brake actually releases when you flip switch. Can check this by trying to move tractor with loader bucket or hoe. If tractor moves freely, now it really gets interesting. Is the light hooked to the on/off switch or to a switch on the brake assembly? If on brake assembly is it a pressure switch or movement switch? Is it a normally closed or normally open switch? Does it open/close the power or ground? Right now the possibilities really are kind of endless. By the way.......Could still be unrelated to electrical because if it takes hydraulic or air pressure to release brake might be a pressure or valve issue.

  4. #4Henry462014-09-01 01:46

    Hi Shimmy1. I actually did not figure out if brake releases when I press red button switch(P) which is on/off switch and has light bulb inside because the light is still on; and when I engage the lever to F-N-R the transmission was not effected (tractor stands still). Any hydraulic function of loader, backhoe, stabilities, and steering looks OK. As you said, it might be related to a hydraulic pressure or valve issue, and it is really complicated to diagnose, but I will try. Thank you very much for your help and time you spent.