Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Particles in steel transmission suction filter, How bad is it?

born2ride ยท 2017-02-15 20:00

I took off the main filter looked pretty clean , disassembled the horizontal steel mesh filter element and found junk! Also realized the trans filter bybass valve is missing, that thing is $$$$$$ Looks like some rust, brass and fibers!!

Replies5
  1. #1born2ride2017-02-15 20:01

    Rest of pic

  2. #2alrman2017-02-15 20:10

    It all depends on how long it has been since the last time it was cleaned. If that's 10 years of accumulation, it's not too bad - but if that's a years worth, well.... Those bigger bronze pieces are definitely clutch/friction plate material.

  3. #3born2ride2017-02-15 20:16

    Thanks !! Being I have no service history time will tell then!

  4. #4kshansen2017-02-16 09:41

    I apologize if I missed it but what machine is this strainer off? I know one of the last machines I worked on before retiring in 2015 was a D6C Dozer and the suction strainer I pulled out of that one look about the same as yours. I too could not find any reliable information on when or if the strainer or oil had ever been changed. That one did have a problem of transmission oil getting into the engine that last I knew was suspected to be due to a bad rear seal on the engine. Operationally speaking it was still working just fine, till the engine would start puking oil out the breather! I would say clean everything good, fix/replace the by-pass valve and run for a time and pull strainer again in a couple hundred hours.

  5. #5born2ride2017-02-16 20:30

    I forgot to mention it was a case 450. LOL i was having a moment due to all the debris .