So we’re demoing a new Bomag 1030T and a Volvo P7110B. We mostly run cat and Roadtec pavers but we figured it was time to see what the other guys are offering these days. What are your guys thoughts?
My current employer is peddling Vogele. I hear they're good, I don't see them often, but I know they're out there laying mat. German engineered so you know it has redundant complications.
Never had mechanical fault with my Vogele 5203 tracked paver. Had the Carlson EZScreed IV on it. But, man o man, the germans made the electronics uber complicated and expensive. Even the wear parts exceeded my expectations. I can say with no uncertainty, do NOT buy a Leeboy anything. The intrinsic mechanical and electrical design have been a headache since day one. What piece of underengineering.
Yeah I get it the mills are the same way. We weren’t huge fans of the control scheme on the Vogele’s either, it probably works good on roads but it was cumbersome on commercial work. We’d never even entertain a Lee boy, most of the municipalities in Michigan write their specs to not allow them, usually by weight or class.
I’ve run and repaired pavers for more then 40 year . My biggest complaint about the new ones is why do you need a computer to do what has been done with toggle switches for years and years . My belief is KISS method (keep it simple stupid) saves a lot of headaches
If I was buying a new paver. I would buy the Vogele because if the need arises you could get it fitted with the spreypaver. That would give the option for ultra thin lift. Quarter inch mixes are looking better with liquid going up more and more
Cat.......I have customers that have several AP555E's and AP1055F's. So far they have proven to be reliable machines with little downtime. All the maintenance is done per the manufacturers schedule and the product support has been decent. Bomag....I don't have any customers with these but I have seen a couple in the area. The product support from the dealers here lacks severely. This alone would keep me away. Weiler........Its a good laydown machine but its the most difficult to repair that I have ever run across. There isnt anything easy to get to on these and product support from the dealer is so-so. They are heavier than the Leeboys which is why they gained popularity here the last few years. Leeboy.......Some people like them, some don't. I've seen so many of these that I think I could disassemble and reassemble one in my sleep. I think there is hundreds of them here in Oklahoma. They are definitely a lighter machine and lays a good mat. They are definitely prone to electrical problems, conveyor chain failures, and the screed wear plates seem to wear out prematurely. Product support from the local dealer isn't all that great. The biggest issues I have ran across were due to lack of maintenance and periodic adjustments to the drive chains/conveyor chains. I would take a Leeboy 7 days a week over a Weiler. I cant vouch for any other manufacturers. If I were you I would take a serious look at the product support aspect before you purchase anything. When I need tech info I don't even go to the dealer, I deal directly with the manufacturer. I have found that they all have been very helpful if I need a electrical or hydraulic schematic, or even testing specifications. I can tell you with confidence that the poor support is NOT the manufacturer of the paving equipment I deal with, its the dealer/distributor.