Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Paving a super speedway

oversize ยท 2010-02-20 07:18

With all the talk about the pot hole at daytona, And when or if it should be repaved It got me thinking how is a speedway repaved has any one got any pictures, do you use a normal paver or is there special way it is done I wood think a shuttle buggy is used some how, I do not work in the paving industry but I do transport paving gear around and have seen a normal road paved,

Replies19
  1. #1andoman2010-02-20 09:07

    parabolic paver with an older wedge lock screed there's only a few guys in the country that have them reith-riley, kewitt, barrett, and ford motor company has one. The usually use a conveyor off the flat inter track area and counter weighted rollers its a neat process. This video will give you an idea but this track isn't parabolic and the turns aren't sloped to the degree of a true nascar track so no counter weighs on the rollers. YouTube - Sunbelt Asphalt Paves Nascar Track

  2. #2Turbo218352010-02-20 10:07

    A little bit of info in regards to repaving the Lowes Motor Speedway. http://www.modifiedasphalt.org/papers/15 Corun Paving a NASCAR Superspeedway.pdf Andoman, I believe Ajax has a Vogle paver they use for test track paving, and in theroy, would work on Nascar tracks. There just happens to be a world of support equipment required to pave high banked speedways, and im not sure if it would be worth the extra equipment.

  3. #3Blue Collar2010-02-20 12:45

    http://www.lasvegaspaving.com/d-paving.asp doesnt explain how they do it, but some neat pics, looks like it would a pain.

  4. #4andoman2010-02-20 14:19

    I forgot about them, Ajax's machine will pave up to 25 feet (i believe) not a full blown machine parabolic paver. I like seeing the big dogs (of the parabolic world) do it, it's very impressive on a scale my little company couldn't dream of.

  5. #5tripper_1742010-02-20 20:48

    There's a great picture in the February 18 edition of U.S. Today paving a curve at Talladega. Can't scan it for you as the wife threw it out!:Banghead Shows a dozer, D7? running above the track holding the spreader on the slope with a sort of sideboom attachment. At the bottom of the track is a hopper and long conveyor suspended by a Link Belt crane feeding asphalt into the spreader. Further back there appears to be another Cat with the same sideboom attachment keeping the asphalt roller on course. If I had the picture..and if i had a scanner here with me I'd post it.

  6. #6gr792010-02-21 02:51

    Is this it? http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2010-02-18-daytona-repave_N.htm

  7. #7oversize2010-02-21 06:27

    Thanks all great info It seems it will not be a simple job

  8. #8hvy 1ton2010-02-22 00:01

    took me a couple of days, but i found the other thread. I thought it was repaving las vegas speedway and there are a lot of conexpo threads to wade through.

  9. #9hardhatman2010-02-27 12:27

    I've actually seen photos how they pave racetracks and it's actually the most challenging projects especially when they have to work on the part of the racetracks where there is steep banks on the side.

  10. #10Turtle2010-02-27 13:45

    anyone have any pictures of milling a super speedway

  11. #11Blue Collar2010-02-27 14:12

    now that i would like to see, because i can tell ya i wouldnt have the balls even with support to mill the corners say on a track like daytona.

  12. #12Blue Goose2010-02-28 09:24

    This thread is incomplete without including the paving of Bristol ......33* banking...in concrete!

  13. #139420pullpan2010-02-28 14:59

    Here are a few pics of a contractor paving Talledega

  14. #14Truckin4life2010-03-01 12:52

    Brad were you there for that paving?

  15. #15Blue Goose2010-03-02 20:24

    Don!!!! How did you find me here?

  16. #16Truckin4life2010-03-03 11:18

    :beerchug You expect to not find me here? Heck we are professional brothers here!

  17. #17t_dirt2010-03-08 21:54

    andoman, They are not running automatics on that paver??? Crazy!!!

  18. #18kanewolf2010-09-03 21:27

    Searched the web today for an update and ran into this Daytona Paving Article . Seems like they are just getting to the fun parts....

  19. #19The Tackman2010-09-04 08:17

    I would have like to be a part of that job.