Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Paving the Sitka Airport

Former Wrench ยท 2015-05-07 18:33

Here are some photos of the Sitka Airport paving project from 2013.

Replies13
  1. #1Former Wrench2015-05-07 18:35

    more images

  2. #2bvfdfire2015-05-07 20:06

    I love that P 401 mix when the plant has everything right! Got to start a 4000 ton project tomorrow, took 7 test strips to get everything right! Placement on our end was never an issue, and the mat is so compact that echelon paving is not an option, so that makes the 4000 target about 3 days for us.

  3. #3wheelie2015-05-08 13:44

    That airport has changed some from 1967. thank goodness:notworthy

  4. #4old-iron-habit2015-05-08 16:44

    Nice photos. You must be working some long days to get a night photo there. Thanks for sharing.

  5. #5lumpy762015-09-09 19:34

    Are you using wide width paving packages? What pavers? We use the Cats with a 25' width package here. Not eschelon though.

  6. #6Former Wrench2015-09-11 16:38

    lumpy I am not about the equipment. I work for the state DOT in the pre-construction & design section. What I post is from the job sites after the contracts have been awarded. I think the contractor for Sitka was SECON out of Juneau.

  7. #7KSSS2015-09-12 17:13

    I was stationed in Adak for a while. I miss the place for some weird reason.

  8. #8nypaving2015-09-18 08:40

    Wow!! Nice photos. But night photos are fabulous. Thanks for sharing...

  9. #9lantraxco2016-05-10 13:06

    Landed there once, early 80's, in a 727.... good times.

  10. #10SAAI2016-09-05 12:40

    Awesome pictures These types of jobs take enormous work. Great pictures and am sure I am preaching to the choir in regards to the amount of manpower, machinery and costs this type of job requires. We have worked on a few smaller airports in the san antonio paving community and surrounding areas. It is one of our favorite jobs to work on larger projects like this but with that takes a great deal of work. Here in san antonio I have lost count of the number of jobs we have worked on regarding repair and resurfacing. Airports and larger projects like corporate business parks are the behemoths compared to smaller, residential asphalt driveway installation work.

  11. #11Turbo218352016-09-06 21:24

    Even more mind boggling is the fact that this work is on an Island. Now Sitka looks a little bigger than Prince of Whales, or Ketchikan, but it is a very remote environment. In most cases, before you get a machine off a truck, its taken a ride on a barge in a very unforgiving part of the world.

  12. #12Former Wrench2016-09-07 12:39

    Sitka has a pop of around 7,500 and is located on the west coast of Baranof Island. The island is made up of steep, rugged country. Weather can be a travel factor as there are times when planes do fly-overs and cannot land; or land but cannot leave due to wind and fog. Although not extremely cold, it is rarely warm, and never hot by lower 48 standards. It is only about 15 miles from one end of the road to the other so having a small boat is a plus. Fishing is great in the area. Do not pass up a chance to visit if ever a chance, but plan on rain.

  13. #13Turbo218352016-09-11 09:35

    I have an Aunt and Uncle in Ketchikan. Ive visited twice. Beautiful country, even if it is wet