He llo I have a payloader ha, just redone brakes shoes new cylinders. The left side drum went on really hard and now it barely turns/ hangs up. There does not appear to be any adjustment to the brakes, the drums were turned, it’s difficult to figure out why it’s catching. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated John
Any chance of some pictures showing the brakes, not sure of the type of brakes they had but don't think I ever say a brake system that did not have some kind of adjustment for wear. May not be obvious but should be some type of adjustment!
Here’s a pic, I don’t see any adjustments thanks for replying
Any chance of a picture that shows the back side of the backing plate? Or from the front with shoes removed? Some brakes of that vintage have cams in the backing plate that you use to adjust them. One example is the following: I cut out the references to a different brake to avoid confusion, that is what the red boxes are for.
KSHansen, I cannot thank you enough! That's exactly what I needed. I'll give it a try this afternoon afterwork. thanks again!
Those have the cams just turn them with s wrench they are on the back side of the backing plate
looks like the same setup as the willys jeeps from the 40's and 50's they had a special 1/4 inch wrench to turn them
We had a Yale fork truck from early 1950's at the shop that was that way, that's what got me thinking about the cams. The tricky part was remembering which way to turn the cams. If you turned them the wrong way they seemed to work but hit the brakes once and they were gone again as the shoes would slide out of position. And due to the frame on that Yale being in the way it was a challenge to get access to them.
That's a very similar arrangement to the driveline drum brake on my EIMCO 911s. Instead of cam adjustment, the lever is adjusted as the machine is small enough for a direct mechanical linkage.