Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PC 40 Old Gray Help

RobPC40 ยท 2018-08-29 10:07

Hello everyone. My first post here. I'm a retired firefighter. 20 years ago we bought a gray market PC 40. The ID plate came off so I don't know what generation it is. I think the machine was about 10 years old when we got it. That would make it around 1988. So what generation would that be? a -??? It has been a great machine. It has 3600 hours. I put approximately 600 of those hours on it. My question is how is the fuel pumped to the injector pump. I am not getting fuel through the NEW filters. I'm in the process of checking the lines for a blockage. Full dis-closer, I have neglected maintenance. The fuel system was really dirty. I have drained the tank and cleaned it. New filters. The machine would start and run for a short time then starve for fuel. It seems the fuel shut off solenoid is opening and closing. Thanks for any help. Cheers...Rob

Replies3
  1. #1John C.2018-08-29 18:46

    Don't know for sure on your particular model but there is usually a small metal strainer at the tank or on a banjo fitting on the suction side of the hand priming pump if your machine has one. Some of those machines have electric fuel pumps. Most of those units I've looked at had Yanmar three cylinder engines in them and the fuel tank was mounted under the back side of the cab. Start at the tank and look for a canister with a nut on one end or a fitting with a banjo bolt. They usually mount those strainers in the end of the bolt so you have to take the bolt clear out to see it.

  2. #2RobPC402018-08-29 22:38

    Thank you John. It turned out to be the electric fuel pump. The old one was making noise, but not doing anything. NAPA $78.00 fixed.

  3. #3John C.2018-08-30 00:13

    Super!