Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PC200-8 Bucket Cylinder Piston Nut Size

D-ROM ยท 2017-10-01 20:53

I would like to have on hand the socket to remove piston so I can change rod seals. Can someone help me to find out what size is required? Is there any chance that my 1" impact gun will break it loose? My previous method on other large machines was to reinstall rod onto machine, block up piston with 6x6's, and use a 4ft Ridgid pipe wrench pushed down by another excavator. I don't have that luxury this time. Thank you in advance. Dan Romano D-ROM Machine Repair 3475028669

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2017-10-02 00:23

    Unless they have changed something on the Dash 8 machines the nut on typical Komatsu cylinders was torqued to about 5,000 foot pounds. It always took a hydraulic machine to take them loose when I was working on them all the time. I've never seen a 1" gun ever come close to breaking those loose.

  2. #2Hydraumind2017-10-02 05:29

    On that model, it shouldn't be a nut. They use a 12mm allen bolt to lock the piston. In fact the piston itself is a nut and it should be tightened almost 220ft.lb

  3. #3D-ROM2017-10-02 06:31

    Yes. Thanks. I just downloaded service manual through a link listed on this site. I noticed the lock bolts and the torque value for piston. Do you know what type of tool is used to loosen piston? I couldn't tell if there was a hex or pin spanner. Dan

  4. #4Hydraumind2017-10-02 13:53

    Pin spanner

  5. #5mikebramel2017-10-02 17:12

    Starting with -7 you can field pack them