Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pc220-5 idler

gwhammy ยท 2018-05-21 21:24

Just found my idler on one track has no bearings left. I don't know how long it's been this way but before I bought it I'm sure. To make matters worse we thought the tracks had stretched enough the slack adjuster wouldn't tighten them so we cut a link out before the idler was caught. Now it seems one link was may be to much. I guess my question not knowing how bad the axle and other stuff is would it be better to just replace the idler assembly money wise. I hate to pay a dealer to tear it apart just to have to buy new parts. Also can you buy just one link to put in this.

Replies5
  1. #1gwhammy2018-05-21 21:25

    It's a 200-5 not 220

  2. #2Vetech632018-05-22 06:49

    You can patchwork a replacement link in, it takes a little fab work if you don't have the press equipment. As far as the idler, if its that loose its to far gone to rebuild. I can replace them cheaper than I can overhaul one anymore. Check your area for a local aftermarket undercarriage dealer. There is one here in Tulsa called Industrial Tractor Parts.

  3. #3gwhammy2018-05-22 18:46

    Complete aftermarket idler price not to bad, repair link kind of high for what you get but I'm guessing it works better than something cobbled up.

  4. #4Bls repair2018-05-22 18:59

    What do the rails look like? May be time for a new chain.

  5. #5gwhammy2018-05-23 07:32

    Rails are decent, pins are good but show some slop. I don't use this machine but a couple hundred hours a year. Mostly helping to clean ponds and brush that's to hard to get to with loader or dozer. Can't see investing a whole lot of money in it at my age.