Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Peat

xcavate ยท 2010-10-21 20:55

I have a large quantity of peat from a job that I need to figure out how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Replies12
  1. #1heavylift2010-10-21 21:45

    a giant free sign.... works for trees... check around at some local nurseries

  2. #2xcavate2010-10-21 22:04

    The free sign might be good for the first couple of thousand yards but I have over 100,000 cy in a stockpile. Id like to figure out a way to make some money off of it. Any idea how to create loam out of it?

  3. #3clay digger2010-10-21 23:11

    The Scots use it to filter their good whiskey.........

  4. #4stock2010-10-22 16:19

    Compress it in to bricks for burning...... http://www.bnm.ie/files/20061124040642_peat_for_domestic_heating.pdf use it for filter beds in domestic percolation beds http://www.lanfaxlabs.com.au/papers/P46-peat01PDF.PDF

  5. #5heavylift2010-10-22 17:21

    1 cubic foot is $12.49 2.7 million cubic feet $33,732,000.00 dollars...retail if I figured correctly Time to buy a bagger... and take down the FREE SIGN Stock ...The bricks ... that was interesting

  6. #6stumpjumper832010-10-22 22:12

    sell it to a landscaping yard? wholesale the whole pile to miracle grow??

  7. #7joispoi2010-10-22 23:18

    I think the bagger is worth looking into. I'm a little skeptical of the $12.49/cf figure, though. If it was that expensive, it would have all been stolen by now, no?:beatsme

  8. #8heavylift2010-10-22 23:37

    12.49 was the expensive Scotts product.... still there are probably bargain brands for half the price heck even if you sold it at a dollar a cubic foot... that's 2.7 million bucks

  9. #9Dualie2010-10-24 02:56

    i like the whiskey idea.

  10. #10motrack2010-10-25 15:23

    Here in central Indiana the large landscaping companys would take it off your hands. They are buying peat for soil mixes. you be surprised how much waste water treatment plant sludge is going into soil mixes around Indianapolis.

  11. #11Hokiesmokes2010-12-20 20:07

    How did you ever get USACE to let you take that out? At any rate, wholesale it to a company that sells the bags of peat. It's expensive, and apparently from what I hear from the corps hippies, hard to get a permit to remove.

  12. #12Randy882011-01-05 08:01

    I'll bite what did you replace it with and how did you get a permit to remove it? If your wanting a true value of it just ask the corps of engineers and I'm sure they'll put a exact dollar amount its worth?? and you might not even have to truck it anywhere or invest in any new equipment to process it?? Around here its worth its weight in gold, no thats what it costs me to mess with it, my money they think is their gold or something like that. Gardeners will pay big dollars for the stuff by the truckload but I wouldn't put an add in the paper to advertise it unless you have a permit to remove it in the first place.