Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pegson ER 2 Power Rammer

Blitz54 ยท 2023-07-17 15:07

Hello! I have a very old Pegson ER 2 Power Rammer and I'm wondering if anyone has much info on these. It was sitting outside on the ground for a decade or two (not me, blame my dad). Everything that should move was seized up on it. Managed to free everything with only one screw up, broke a piston ring on the top piston. Coulda done worse, but still pissed me off. Put everything back together, but the problem now is the magneto doesn't seem to wanna give me spark. I replaced the spark plug wire as it was rotted. As I'm typing this I just realized I could ohm out the wire to make sure the little screw did in fact puncture the wire all the way to the copper core. I'm fairly certain it did, but I can check anyway. Curious though, anyone else have one of these, or have an idea what to do the magneto? The little tag on it says MHI FORM C8. Only one things comes up online with it, and it runs counter clockwise. It looks a lot like the FORM G8 that comes up online, but those I believe are clockwise. Without spending an arm and a leg, is there a way to repair a magneto? Never tore one open or really dealt with one before, so I'm just curious if there are certain things I should look for. This machine is from 1933-50 ish. Not much info, but enough to get an idea when it's from. Thanks all! Not expecting to get a solution here, but figured I should post somewhere online just in case.

Replies1
  1. #1Blitz542023-07-24 16:42

    Figured I'd give a small update. Managed to repair the magneto! Cleaned up the slip ring, replaced the old springs for the carbon brush with some similar ones I had in my assortment. Biggest thing was the points were out of adjustment. Not sure if it's in spec, but it gives damn good spark. It could use a new lever return spring around the shaft, but it works decently. Next step is to replace the fuel line. The original braided steel line weeps gas everywhere. Ideally the ends are common thread, but soooo many of these bolts were oddball sizes. 7/32, 11/32, 1 3/16, etc. And then the bolts inside the magneto were metric. Pain in the ass the whole time as I didn't have a lot of the in between standard sizes. Mechanically it should work now. The springs that return the handle upwards might be a tad weak, but if I lift the handle up quickly manually it sparks. I'll share some pictures of the machine internals for future reference if anyone else has one of these oddball machines.