Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pel Job EB12.4 engine doesn’t switch off

poundhouse ยท 2011-07-20 18:29

I'm a novice, so please bear with me. I have a Pel Job EB12.4 digger, about 15 years old. Among other problems, I now find the engine does not switch off when I turn the key. It stops perfectly when I press the piston-like gadget in the engine compartment. It's not racing - just doesn't switch off. Oil level is stable - engine is good. Any ideas?

Replies3
  1. #1joispoi2011-07-21 10:26

    Fuel shut off solenoid. You can probably just stall it out if you lower the throttle all the way and put the blade down while operating the boom.

  2. #2Haddy2011-07-21 15:50

    Fuel shut off is my quess too , make sure current is getting to it

  3. #3poundhouse2011-07-21 16:03

    The piston-like gadget (fuel shut-off solenoid, I guess) operates when I put 12v across it, using a battery charger. I'm finding it difficult to work out which wires at the ignition switch end are the ones to test. I guess the problem could be in the switch. The circuit diagram also shows engine safety diodes - could they play a part?