Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Peljob 12.4 – Hard to start and Stalls when tracking

Mdc01 · 2022-09-11 03:23

Hi, I have a very old Peljob 12.4. It’s now really hard to start and will stall when tracking (unless I ease the tracks on very gently) lots of black smoke when it starts and more smoke just before it stalls when I try to track it. I don’t know if the 2 are related but I’m now having to charge the battery every night so I have a fighting chance of it starting .(pretty sure the alternator is not working but that looks really hard to change) Just changed air, oil and both fuel filters. can anyone suggest what I check next ? Maybe I just have to get a mechanic round ? Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1uffex2022-09-11 04:52

    Good day I suggest you cut your loss and source a new engine, for sure your post identifies the problem. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Mdc012022-09-11 05:07

    Thanks Uffex, I don’t use it often so can’t justify a new engine. It’s just for diy around the garden.

  3. #3StevenG2022-09-11 05:46

    I would clean the fuel system lines from the injection pump back to the tank. A little compressed air goes a long way and make sure all your hydraulic filters and pick-up screens are clean and clear.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2022-09-11 06:04

    It sounds to me as if u have a fuel “supply” problem...possibly a bleed-back situation.?? The first thing I would do is install an electric supply pump.. THAT WAY, u can eliminate THAT problem.. I don’t know what injection system is on that engine but u might have a broken overflow valve, if it’s an inline Inj pump.. So even IF u put an electric pump inline to the inlet side of the inj pump, all that fuel is just flowing back to the tank and not pressurizing the fuel gallery in the inj pump.(inline pump) Another thing, like I said, idk what kind of fuel system is on that engine.. There might be a banjo bolt with a screen in it, that’s clogged.?? “IF” it’s an inline injection pump, the bb with the screen in it, will be on the line below the hand primer.. Hope this helps a little.. U could post back a pic of the injection pump or at least some #’s from the pump name plate.. I’ve never heard of a Peljob..??

  5. #5Mdc012022-09-11 10:35

    Thanks SteveG, I will check the hoses. thepumpguysc - the engine is a Mitsubishi L3E, it has an electric fuel pump. That “ticks” when I turn on the ignition. I can hear it pump diesel back to the tank.

  6. #6Mdc012022-09-11 12:04

    Thepumpguysc - not sure where to look for a banjo, it’s not something I’m familiar with. Thanks

  7. #7thepumpguysc2022-09-13 04:19

    Never mind, u have a PFR pump..

  8. #8thepumpguysc2022-09-13 04:22

    Find the fuel inlet line going into the injection pump.. remove it and put the end into a small bottle.. Now turn the key on.. Just because the supply pump clicks doesn’t mean it’s picking up fuel..

  9. #9Delmer2022-09-13 05:07

    So we're talking about a less than 20 HP three cylinder mitsubishi, with gear pumps for hydraulics. Do you know anything about the hydraulic controls, obviously it doesn't destroke or have a swash plate, but it looks like three gear pump sections, and I won't begin to guess how those could be integrated. So, the way I see it, there's three most likely possibilities, 1. low fuel supply, but it usually wouldn't smoke bad when stalling 2. hydraulic overload, but I don't know squat about the hydraulics, I just suspect that they aren't complicated enough to overload the engine IN GOOD SHAPE 3. the engine is just worn out like UFFEX suggested, the black smoke is suggestive, hard starting is suggestive, oil consumption would confirm, crankcase blowby would confirm

  10. #10Mdc012022-09-14 09:09

    Thanks Delmer. I was going to see if the hydraulics can be disconnected at all to check but my hunch is #3